Subject: RE: [Catalina22] OT: Kayak

From: "Dennis, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:09:53 -0500

Chip,
 
You talked about sealing in the closed cell foam with urethane
sealant/adhesive.  I am drawing a blank on what that is.  Do you know of a
brand name or are we talking about something like Great Stuff?
 
Thanks,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Charles S. Lee
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina22] OT: Kayak

Hey Jim, are you a Norwood-Norfolk boy? Our camp is on the other side of
Potsdam, over in South Colton. Great country...too remote for much trouble.

One of our kayaks is a Pamlico, too, the 14' model. Also open at both ends,
but no hatch. You can get a kit at the kayak store to make a bulkhead, but
it's cheaper to make your own. Go to a hardware or craft store and get some
stiff, closed-cell foam about 1" thick, and some urethane sealant/adhesive.
Cut the foam to fit the spot where you want the bulkhead and seal on both
sides of the bulkhead with the adhesive. That's all there is to it. If
you're careful with the adhesive, it will be totally watertight. Then all
you have to worry about is hatch leaks...

Regarding the paddle float, it's an inflatable doughnut that goes around the
blade of the paddle. Doesn't look like it would do much more that float the
paddle, but it actually provides a lot of flotation. If you have bungee
webbing on your foredeck or afterdeck, you simply slide one blade of the
paddle under the bungees and let the float on the other end dangle in the
water. If you have two-piece paddles, first remove the offset so both blades
are oriented the same way. Now what you basically have is an outrigger
canoe.

Enter the boat from the side with the outrigger by hoisting your body across
the foredeck just in front of the cockpit. Keep your center of gravity real
low if you don't want to stay wet! Once you are laying on your stomach
across the deck, you can pivot your feet around to the cockpit, slide them
in and sit upright.

Through all of this, try to keep your weight mostly on the outrigger side.
As soon as your weight crosses the centerline to the other side, the boat
wants to roll that way.

Once seated back in the boat, you can use the pump to get the water out. I
usually carry a car wash sponge to get the last of the water out. After the
boat is dry, pull the paddle out of the bungees, deflate the paddle float
and be on your way again.

Gee, this types so much easier than it feels in 50 degree water! I practiced
this at the beach in summer, but actually first used it on Lake George in
the fall when a powerboat surprised me. Definitely learn to do it in warm
water!!!!

Chip Lee

#9742 Martha Pearl

1980 C22 swing keel

Dexter, NY

---

From: "Charles S. Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:49:44 -0500

Jim

I don't know the brand, 'cause I paid the high price for the kit in the
kayak store and the tube just said "urethane adhesive". Maybe someone
else here knows what brands there are. I remember the guy said you can't
use silicone tub seal 'cause it won't stick to rotomolded polyethylene
hulls. Maybe he was just saying that to get me to buy the kit.

Chip

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dennis, Jim
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:10 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Catalina22] OT: Kayak

Chip,

You talked about sealing in the closed cell foam with urethane
sealant/adhesive.  I am drawing a blank on what that is.  Do you know of
a brand name or are we talking about something like Great Stuff?

Thanks,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Charles S. Lee
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina22] OT: Kayak

Hey Jim, are you a Norwood-Norfolk boy? Our camp is on the other side of
Potsdam, over in South Colton. Great country.too remote for much
trouble.

One of our kayaks is a Pamlico, too, the 14' model. Also open at both
ends, but no hatch. You can get a kit at the kayak store to make a
bulkhead, but it's cheaper to make your own. Go to a hardware or craft
store and get some stiff, closed-cell foam about 1" thick, and some
urethane sealant/adhesive. Cut the foam to fit the spot where you want
the bulkhead and seal on both sides of the bulkhead with the adhesive.
That's all there is to it. If you're careful with the adhesive, it will
be totally watertight. Then all you have to worry about is hatch leaks.

Regarding the paddle float, it's an inflatable doughnut that goes around
the blade of the paddle. Doesn't look like it would do much more that
float the paddle, but it actually provides a lot of flotation. If you
have bungee webbing on your foredeck or afterdeck, you simply slide one
blade of the paddle under the bungees and let the float on the other end
dangle in the water. If you have two-piece paddles, first remove the
offset so both blades are oriented the same way. Now what you basically
have is an outrigger canoe.

Enter the boat from the side with the outrigger by hoisting your body
across the foredeck just in front of the cockpit. Keep your center of
gravity real low if you don't want to stay wet! Once you are laying on
your stomach across the deck, you can pivot your feet around to the
cockpit, slide them in and sit upright.

Through all of this, try to keep your weight mostly on the outrigger
side. As soon as your weight crosses the centerline to the other side,
the boat wants to roll that way.

Once seated back in the boat, you can use the pump to get the water out.
I usually carry a car wash sponge to get the last of the water out.
After the boat is dry, pull the paddle out of the bungees, deflate the
paddle float and be on your way again.

Gee, this types so much easier than it feels in 50 degree water! I
practiced this at the beach in summer, but actually first used it on
Lake George in the fall when a powerboat surprised me. Definitely learn
to do it in warm water!!!!

Chip Lee

#9742 Martha Pearl

1980 C22 swing keel

Dexter, NY