Subject: Cal Connection, the Newsletter for Cal's Alumni and Friends

From: "California Alumni Association" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 22:25:56 GMT

To view the full color version of this newsletter, go to:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/671j6w51kzxw/ 

In this issue:
- Cal Advocacy
- Membership Benefit
- Spotlight on Careers 
- Lair of the Golden Bear
- California Monthly 
- Bear Recognition
- News and Events

Special Feature: How to spend your summer days
----------------------------------------------

READ the UCB "unofficial" summer reading list. Enjoy personal
recommendations from UCB faculty and staff on books of Great
Discoveries, Voyages and Adventures. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/W71j6w51kzxX/

WATCH Howl's Moving Castle, the new animated feature by Academy
Award winning director, Hayao Miyazaki, at the Pacific Film
Archive: The Art of Anime: Studio Ghibli
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/711j6w51kzxt/

GET FIT Get the facts on nutrition, fitness, and health through
the UCB WellnessLetter.com. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/I11j6w51kzxr/
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Wp1j6w51kzx4//

TRAVEL to Acapulco, Italy, Hawaii and more for only $349 per
week. See more travel benefits: CAA Travel Connection.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/tp1j6w51kzx1/

PICNIC at the UC Botanical Gardens and learn some tips to
cultivate your dream summer garden.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Op1j6w51kzxd//

See other exciting and creative ways to enjoy your summer
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/O71j6w51kzxe/

=====================================================================
This Month's Highlights
=====================================================================

Cal Advocacy
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/6p1j6w51kzxs/
------------------------------------------------

Due to the lobbying of Cal Advocates and other UC and CSU
supporters, Senate Bill 569 has been passed by the Senate
Education and Judiciary Committees.

Although there is still a long way to go before the bill is out
of the legislative process, CAA wants to thank Cal Advocates for
their support--out of all the letters sent to legislators from
UC advocates, over half were from Cal. Your support truly makes
a difference. Go Bears!

More information on Senate Bill 569
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/u11j6w51kzxO/

Join Cal Advocacy
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/6p1j6w51kzxs/

Membership Benefit 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/t71j6w51kzsC/
-----------------------------------------------

Tools For Summer Fun

Encourage your child's creative imagination with the opening of
this summer's Construction Junction exhibit at the Lawrence Hall
of Science (LHS).

Challenge the mind and baffle the senses with loads of other
hands-on excitement, including solving forensic mysteries and
playing Mother Nature. Learning has never been so much fun. 

CAA Members - Enjoy a full year of scientific exploration with
$5 off any Family Membership. Receive exclusive previews,
discounts and much more.

More information
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/td1j6w51kzsV/

Spotlight on Careers 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/v71j6w51kzsG/
-------------------------------------------------
Bear Profile - Sukhjinder Gill would like to network with you.
Share your expertise by offering an informational interview.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/f71j6w51kzsR/

Networking at an Event - by Dr. Marty Nemko '76
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rp1j6w51kzsp/

Volunteer for Bear Connections -
Keep networking alive: share your career experience as a
panelist and through informational interviews.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/f11j6w51kzsP/

PhD Web Resources NEW - Jobs in higher education, fellowship and
grant resources, research and training opportunities, and
discipline-specific sites.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/vd1j6w51kzsH/

@cal - Sign up today and have job listings emailed to you daily
via email groups. Network with alumni through informational
interviews and make those important career connections. (@cal is
exclusive to Cal alumni and CAA members).
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/ud1j6w51kzxW/

Hot Jobs at Cal and at CAA - We're hiring!
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/v11j6w51kzsT/

Bear Recognition 
--------------------------------------- 
Great news:
Alumni scholarship awards have increased to $1500 for
lower-division and $2000 for upper-division--an overall
increase of nearly $300,000. CAA would like to thank you for
your generous support. Your time and donations help ensure that
Cal remains financially accessible to students who earned their
admission to Cal.

Meet the scholarship recipients at the Achievement Award Spring
Reception on May 7 and celebrate the accomplishments of our
Achievement Award 2005 graduates from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the
Alumni House. 

RSVP
[email-masked]

Make a Gift
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/b71j6w51kzxA/

Family Camp - Lair of the Golden Bear 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/t11j6w51kzsZ/
-------------------------------------------- 
Vacation in the Sierras

We have openings: Week 2 (June 18-25), Week 11 (Aug 22-Aug 27),
Week 12 (Aug 27-Sept 3), Mini Weeks (June 14-18), and Get-Away
Weekends.

Adult Weeks: Club Lair (Aug 28-Sept 4) for singles with a
playful streak AND
# Sports and Recreation Week (Sept 4-11) for singles and couples
with a knack for sweat and adventure.

Club Lair
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/571j6w51kzsD/

Sports and Recreation Week
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/5p1j6w51kzsK/

Reserve your tent today
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Od1j6w51kzx3/

California Monthly
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r71j6w51kzs0/ 
----------------------------------------------

The Write Stuff

Tom Wolfe, Gloria Steinem, Joan Didion, and Eileen Chang are
just a few of the notable authors featured in a special May/June
issue of California Monthly, which celebrates writing and
includes a tribute to journalism professor and magazine master
Clay Felker.

Cal News and Events 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/b11j6w51kzxL/ 
-------------------------------------------- 

Baseball, bbq's, and more: See what's happening in sunny socal.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/vp1j6w51kzsF/

New Online Tour of Berkeley - Re-discover Cal at your
fingertips. Brought to you by UCB Public Affairs.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/771j6w51kzxb//

Upcoming summer events for Berkeley Art Museum / Pacific Film
Archive, Cal Performances
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Ip1j6w51kzx5//
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/7p1j6w51kzx6//

An American salamander in Korea? -- A 100 million-year old tale
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/7d1j6w51kzxg/

Cal in the News
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Wd1j6w51kzxB//

This Month's Features
=====================================================================

Attention: All CAA Members
Special Membership Meeting, Friday, June 3, 2005, 9 a.m., Alumni
House
Vote of the general membership to approve CAA bylaw revisions.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/471j6w51kzsk/

Bear Treks Travel Program 
Visit German Holiday Markets, Greenland, Labrador, and
Newfoundland, and the Civil War.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rd1j6w51kzsl/

Homecoming 2005 Save the Date
September 3 - October 2, 2005
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/W11j6w51kzxc//

CAA Hotlinks
=====================================================================

Alumni Awards http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/611j6w51kzxN/ 
Alumni House http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r11j6w51kzso/ 
Bear Connections
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/fd1j6w51kzsQ/ 
Bear Treks http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rd1j6w51kzsl/
California Monthly
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r71j6w51kzs0/ 
Career Services
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/v71j6w51kzsG/
Find a Club http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/511j6w51kzs-/ 
Find a Job http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/fp1j6w51kzsY/ 
Homecoming http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/5d1j6w51kzsJ/ 
Lair of the Golden Bear
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/t11j6w51kzsZ/ 
Membership Benefits
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/t71j6w51kzsC/ 
Meet our Staff http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/4p1j6w51kzs9/

Mentoring http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/gd1j6w51kzxa/ 
Rent Alumni House
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/4d1j6w51kzsi/ 
Reunions http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Id1j6w51kzxf/ 
Scholarships http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/611j6w51kzxN/ 
Student Services
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/I71j6w51kzxv/ 
Young Alumni http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/g71j6w51kzxz/ 

=====================================================================
Copyright 2005 California Alumni Association. All Rights
Reserved. 
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
For questions or comments: [email-masked]

This message was sent to [email-masked]. To modify your email
communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit
your subscription management page at:

http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/smp.tcl?nkey=gniise2l5j8eit

To stop ALL email from CAA, reply via email with "remove" in the
subject line, or use the following link:

http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=gniise2l5j8eit

=====================================================================

***************************************
Powered by GetActive Software, Inc.
Member Relationship Management Solutions
That Recruit, Engage, and Retain (tm)
http://www.getactive.com
***************************************