Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

From: "Bob Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:13:49 -0500

Thanks Charlie...can you provide a bit more info on the snubbers?  Is
your boat in a slip between two sections of dock so it can be tied from
each side?  I'd be interested to know more about your setup.
 
Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu #11334
Storm Lake, IA

>>> [email-masked] 4/26/2005 11:17:44 AM >>>

Bob:

    I also keep my boat on an inland lake with lots of wind and wave
action, the later especially when the power boats are out.  I have
found
that adding snubbers to the dock lines really reduced the amount of
shock being transmitted to the boat.  In my mind, these are essential
and worth every penny.  Worth considering as a cheaper alternative to
a
lift.

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW--What a Ride!"
~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~~ ~ ~

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining
the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a
Midwestern lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it
will
have to be at a dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift
since
there is too much wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I
have found a used lift (2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I
act
soon.  It will need to be modified for my boat...I'll be adding an
electric motor (my old muscles would protest too much if I were to
hand
crank it out of the water each time!) and I'll have to add a pair of
2x6
bunkers to support the boat, along with some way to support the keel
when the boat is out of the water.

Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts
on
what I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications?
Also, 2800 lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good,
I'd hate to pass it up if I don't have to.  

Thanks again,

Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu; #11334
Storm Lake, IA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Charlie Gjersvik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:15:29 -0500

Bob:
 
    I have a slip and use four dock lines, each with their own snubber
(see:  <http://tinyurl.com/86p36> http://tinyurl.com/86p36).  I pull my
dock lines taught and let the snubbers take the brunt of the wave
action.  On a busy day with lots of wave action, I can sit on the boat
comfortably.  The one caveat is to make sure you cleats are adequately
attached.
 
- Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu #11334
Storm Lake, IA

Bob:

    I also keep my boat on an inland lake with lots of wind and wave
action, the later especially when the power boats are out.  I have found
that adding snubbers to the dock lines really reduced the amount of
shock being transmitted to the boat.  In my mind, these are essential
and worth every penny.  Worth considering as a cheaper alternative to a
lift.

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a
Midwestern lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will
have to be at a dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since
there is too much wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I
have found a used lift (2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act
soon.  It will need to be modified for my boat...I'll be adding an
electric motor (my old muscles would protest too much if I were to hand
crank it out of the water each time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6
bunkers to support the boat, along with some way to support the keel
when the boat is out of the water.

Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on
what I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications?
Also, 2800 lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good,
I'd hate to pass it up if I don't have to.  

Thanks again,

Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu; #11334
Storm Lake, IA

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm