Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Mars Colonies Coming Soon?

From: Ian Goddard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:28:42 -0800 (PST)

--- Dirk Bruere <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ian Goddard wrote:
> 
> >Here's a National Geographic News article on the
> >possible future colonization of Mars. [1] Not
> >  
> 
> A man on Mars by 1985!
> Where is Spiro when you really need him...

 Right, albeit that disparity between previously
projected plans and their unfulfillment isn't so much
a measure of what was or is possible but of where our
priorities have been placed. 

 And notice the comment in the article: "She said
human lives may be lost during trips to Mars and few
politicians have the will to allow astronauts to die
under their watch." That's true, but how odd. It seems
politicians have little trouble with sending hundreds
of solders to their deaths irrespective of the desires
of those solders and for no demonstrable benefit (see
Iraq) and yet there's terrible trouble with letting a
few astronauts take the risks they would desire to
take. What's up with that?

~Ian

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/ 
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Mike Lorrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:21:28 -0800 (PST)

> Where is Spiro when you really need him...

Agnew died suddenly on September 17, 1996, a few hours after being
hospitalized and diagnosed with an advanced, yet to that point
undetected, form of leukemia. He is buried in Dulaney Valley Memorial
Gardens, a cemetery in Timonium, Maryland, outside of Baltimore,
Maryland.

Mike Lorrey
Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806) 
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com