Subject: May 3 and May 5 seminars

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:42:14 -0700

Dear list members,

We are past mid-way of our Spring series this year. And the industry 
by industry highlights will continue in the upcoming weeks.

Hope to see some of you at one or both.

Regards,

Viji

p.s. Please scroll to the bottom for details of the MEMS seminar on Thursday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

US-ASIA TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT CENTER (US-ATMC)

presents

                     "Manufacturing in SE Asia: standing up to China"
                                                       
                                  presentation and discussion by

                  Audsitti Sroithong, Deputy  Economic Counselor,
                            Thai  Board of Investment, New York

         Richard Chong, Director, ACME  Components, Malaysia

Moderated by Richard Dasher, Director, US-ASIA Technology Management Center

                              Tuesday, May 3, 4:15-5:30 p.m.
           Skilling Engineering Auditorium, Stanford University
Sixth Presentation in Entrepreneurship in Asian High-Tech Industries
            http://asia.stanford.edu/events/Spring05/ee402t/index.html
           * Free Admission * General Public Welcome *
        Directions:  http://asia.stanford.edu/events/skilling.html

Speaker Bios:

Audsitti began his career  at Thailand Board of Investment (BOI) 15 
years ago. He has helped implement both inbound and outbound 
investment generating policies of the  BOI. He currently serves as 
the Deputy Economic Counselor at Thailand BOI  New York office which 
helps  American firms expand their operations  and business in Asia, 
particularly Thailand. Prior to this position, during the Asian 
economic crisis he worked at promoting investments to  the rural area 
of North Eastern part of Thailand. Audsitti also has experience in 
business development between Thailand and neighboring  countries such 
as Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and India. He helps Thai 
companies negotiate business deals with the governments in those 
countries. In that context, he represented Thailand at high-level 
meetings  and provided his input on investment cooperation 
agreements. His 10 years  experiences in rural areas of Thailand and 
neighboring countries has  benefited American companies whom he has 
assisted in exploring market opportunities in South East Asia. 
Audsitti received his MBA from  University of Oklahoma and MS in 
Environmental Science from Kasetsart University, Thailand.

Richard Chong has been Director of ACME Components, an electric 
components company based in Malaysia, since 1987. He is also a 
Venture Partner at Pac-Link Ventures and a Director and co-founder of 
Galaxaco China Group LLC, a boutique consulting firm specializing in 
China-related business activities. He founded and managed a boutique 
investment bank, Junipero Capital Associates, that specializes in 
cross-border transactions between California and Asia. As an ASEAN 
representative at the USI Far East Corporation, he worked to develop 
investment projects in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. Rick has 
also managed and grown funds in Asian equities while he was a general 
partner at Sycamore Ventures between 1997-2003. He currently also 
serves as Chairman of the Cal-Asia Business Council.

Rick holds a BA and an MBA from Stanford University.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

US-ASIA TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT CENTER (US-ATMC)

presents

                         "A New Age for MEMS"
                                           
                                            by

Kurt Peterson, CEO SiTime, and Consulting Professor, EE, Stanford

                Thursday, May 5, 4:15-5:30 p.m.

    Skilling Engineering Auditorium, Stanford University
        Sixth Presentation in our Public Seminar Series:
  * Novel Integration in Advanced Electronic Systems*
     http://asia.stanford.edu/events/Spring05/ee402s.html
       * Free Admission * General Public Welcome *
  Directions:  http://asia.stanford.edu/events/skilling.html

Speaker Bio:

Kurt Petersen received his BS degree cum laude in EE from UC Berkeley 
in 1970.  In 1975, he received a PhD in EE from the Massachusetts 
Institute of Technology.  Dr. Petersen established a micromachining 
research group while at IBM from 1975 to 1982.  During that time, he 
wrote the seminal paper, "Silicon as a Mechanical Material", 
published in the Proceedings of the IEEE.  Since 1982, Dr. Petersen 
has co-founded four companies in micromachining technology, 
Transensory Devices Inc. in 1982, NovaSensor in 1985, Cepheid in 
1996, and SiTime in 2004.  All of these companies have become 
technical and commercial leaders in the field of MEMS devices and 
applications.  NovaSensor is owned by General Electric.  Cepheid is 
now a public company selling advanced DNA diagnostic products, 
particularly to the US Postal Service for detecting anthrax in the 
mail.  Most recently, SiTime was established with the mission of 
commercializing MEMS-based oscillators for timing products.   

Dr. Petersen has published over 100 papers, and has been granted over 
35 patents in the field of micromachining.  In 2001 he was awarded 
the IEEE Simon Ramo Medal for his contributions to MEMS.  Dr. 
Petersen is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and is a 
Fellow of the IEEE in recognition of his contributions to "the 
commercialization of  MEMS technology".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~