Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

From: MB <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:56:40 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Speaking of the Geo, what has happened with gas mileage? Why does my
1989 Geo metro *still* get 45 mpg around town but there's no other car
even close to it nowadays, unless I get some frightfully expensive
hybrid? My Geo was an entry level vehicle when I bought it new and it
has paid for itself so to speak, several times over in gas economy.
When it was new it ran 55-60 mpg on the highway.

Why are none of the little new cars getting that kind of mileage? IMHO
they should be getting better mileage. After all, our technology
should have improved, right?

So what gives?

Regards,
MB

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Brian Lee wrote:

>
>  In Atlanta at least, the
> roads are fine enough that you could drive a geo without running into any
> serious road hazards.
>
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: "Brian Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:59:28 -0500

I'm guessing it's because it is cheaper to make an entry level car with a 
crappy engine that gets 30mpg than an entry level car with a less crappy 
engine that gets 50mpg.

Consumers care more about cd players and low cost than gas mileage. This is 
why mileage is actually worse now that it was 20 years ago.

BAL

>From: MB <[email-masked]>
>To: ExI chat list <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)
>Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:56:40 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
>
>