Subject: RE: [AthofSV] Re: Patriarchy

From: "lydia rice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:43:22 -0800

Jonathan - thanks for the compliment... you have some interesting points, 
but I must point out that it is pretty impossible for the most exceptional 
person to accomplish much of anything if that person is female and was 
brought up under a repressive patriarchal system such as the Taliban. No 
education opportunities, no social opportunities, minimal medical support in 
childbirth... partriarchy at its extreme can be very ugly.

Lydia

>From: "earthboundje" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [AthofSV] Re: Patriarchy
>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:49:27 -0000
>
>
>Lydia,
>
>You're great, but you'd be exceptional no matter what social order
>you were born under.

<snip>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Sat. 3/12, 9am-4:30pm - Americans United Activist Training in SF
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - Video: "Natural Atheism" on 60" TV
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "earthboundje" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:22:59 -0000

Lydia, 

I agree with that... it's hard to understand what the Taliban 
society was aimed at accomplishing.

Last year I talked to an Afghani woman from the farmer's market in 
San Mateo, and I asked her how the Afghanis might benefit from the 
U.S. in the long run.  She didn't even have to think about it.  She 
said "education!"  I said "that's it?" and she just stood there 
reflecting and nodding.

- je

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Date not known - Upcoming DEMONSTRATION on Church/State separation
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - Video: "Natural Atheism" on 60" TV
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?