Subject: [TechRepublic] Microsoft launches 64-bit Windows

From: "CIO Exchange at TechRepublic.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:45:19 -0700 (PDT)

TechRepublic
http://techrepublic.com.com

Presents your 
CIO EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER for April 28, 2005

<---------------Advertisement--------------->

IT Managers, don't recreate the wheel! 

Make better use of your time. Leverage the grassroots advice and 
proven time-saving templates collected in TechRepublic's IT 
Manager's Tool Kit, Third Edition. Proven peer-authored 
recommendations and over 30 customizable tools cover a variety 
of management topics to help you overcome financial, staffing, 
project management, disaster planning and other technology 
challenges. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147851-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

<------------------------------------------->

WHITE PAPER: MAKING BETTER DECISIONS THROUGH CRM

This Siebel Systems white paper outlines the five key components 
of a successful CRM initiative and details how they can improve 
your organization's decision-making ability. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147844-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------
 
MICROSOFT LAUNCHES 64-BIT WINDOWS 
 
Microsoft announces the general availability of the 64-bit version of 
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional. Customers who buy a 
desktop or server with a 64-bit chip will have the option of getting 
the new operating system, and people who own an existing 64-bit machine 
will have the option of trading in their old 32-bit Windows for the 
64-bit upgrade. In this discussion, TechRepublic member ANDREW_E 
comments, "Good to see that Microsoft is finally starting to catch up 
to Apple who have had 64 bit processing for a few years now. Now if 
they could make it user friendly and secure, they would be all the way 
there." Tell us what you think about this long-awaited version arrival. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147845-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE AND DISK FRAGMENTATION 
Want to speed up your antivirus scans? After years of anecdotal data 
from Diskeeper(R) customers about the reduction in virus-scan times 
attributed to defragmentation, Executive Software decided to 
investigate. They tested the four antivirus software packages that make 
up 90 percent of the market. After testing on different system 
configurations, they found major improvements in scan times--as high as 
61 percent. Download this white paper and see how much faster your 
antivirus software should be running. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147846-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

DOWNLOAD: IT DEPARTMENT REPORT CARD 
Keeping your IT department running smoothly means staying on top of 
each critical area of the operation--from change management to virus 
protection to licensing issues. This tool will help you measure the 
effectiveness of each aspect of your IT organization and enable you to 
track potential problems and proposed solutions. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147847-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------ 
------------------------------------------
 
NEW AT TECHREPUBLIC 
 
RECOVER FROM IMPORT ERRORS IN ORACLE 
When an import runs, it creates tables and loads data before loading 
other schema objects such as views, synonyms, and sequences. If the 
import fails after table creation and loading, check out a technique 
that you can use to continue manually using SQL*Plus. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147848-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

PLANNING STORAGE SOLUTIONS THAT GROW WITH YOUR BUSINESS 
Choosing the right storage solution for your growing business isn't a 
"no-brainer." You have more choices than ever, and you need to weigh 
scalability and performance against ease of use and the ever-present 
budget considerations. Here's how planning now can save you money in 
the long run. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147849-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

DOWNLOAD: INSTALL AND CONFIGURE A VIRTUAL MACHINE WITH MICROSOFT 
VIRTUAL PC 2004 
Virtual machines have become a standard tool for information technology 
professionals testing applications, system configurations, and 
assessing potential new software. This download explains the hardware 
requirements for running Virtual PC and runs through a basic 
installation and configuration. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147850-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------

White Papers from our partners

Customer-Centric CRM: Fully Optimizing CRM (RightNow Technologies)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147852-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

NASDAQ Posts Big Gains with HP Information Lifecycle Management
Solution (Hewlett-Packard)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147853-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Antivirus Software and Disk Fragmentation (Executive Software)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=147854-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Attaining Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance (Hewlett-Packard)
http://itpapers.techrepublic.com/abstract.aspx?docid=123014&promo=3051  
 
------------------------------------------ 

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE CIO ISSUES NEWSLETTER! 

This newsletter offers targeted information that is essential to 
the C-level manager's success, as well as downloadable tools for
making IT management duties and decisions easier. You'll also
receive HR best practices and leadership tips. Click the link 
below to automatically subscribe!
http://nl.com.com/one_click_signup?email=[email-masked]&list_id=e125&id=30765961&tag=nl.one-click

------------------------------------------ 
 
To unsubscribe from this mailing list: 
http://ct.com.com/click?q=11-lLFizo~vEmdfU~2bAVuMxBjm7qNWbcQ9jRRR 

To update your TechRepublic e-mail subscriptions or unsubscribe from  
all TechRepublic e-mail lists: 
http://nl.com.com/acct_mgmt.jsp?brand=techrepublic  

Questions or comments: 
http://techrepublic.com.com/2001-6705-0.html  

Visit TechRepublic 
http://techrepublic.com.com/  

Copyright 2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. 
TechRepublic is a registered trademark of CNET Networks, Inc.
CNET Networks, Inc. 
235 Second Street 
San Francisco, CA 94105 
U.S.A.