Subject: CIO Insider: Could You Upend Your IS Department?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:54:08 -0400 (EDT)

April 26, 2005

CIO Insider - Your Guide to What's New on CIO.com

The Big Fix
CIO Barbra Cooper completely upended the structure of Toyota's 
IS department in six months in a bid to weave IT functions more 
closely into the daily business operations. The process was 
painful: She changed IS employees' jobs, exposed all of IS's 
shortcomings and forced her staff into the business offices.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3382&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Web Exclusives: The Toyota Tapes
Hear MP3 audio reports on the IS reorganization within Toyota, with 
insights from CIO Barbra Cooper about the new Office of the CIO. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3422&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Also in this issue of the Insider:

1. CIORoundtable: Is the U.S. Losing Its Innovation Edge?
2. Tech Policy Blog: CIOs and the Innovation Question
3. CIOAdvisor: The Latest Advice from Your Peers
4. Total Leadership: Get on Board
5. Making IT Work: Ignoring the Obvious
6. CIO Enterprise Value Awards

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Keynote Systems

Free White Paper: "Score High on Business Scorecards"

How do you score high marks on IT metrics tracked in Business
Dashboards? In this free white paper, discover how focusing your
operational processes around the end user can help you define
competitive yet reasonable service levels and streamline problem
detection. Get the facts in this free white paper. 

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3231&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

1. CIORoundtable: Is the U.S. Losing Its Innovation Edge?
We ask senior IT executives what they think and what they think 
should be done.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3545&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

2. Tech Policy Blog: CIOs and the Innovation Question
Ben Worthen, who wrote this month's story on whether the United
States needs a tech czar, weighs in on the question posed in the
CIORoundtable and elsewhere.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1010&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

** Worthen's "Why George Bush Needs a Technology Czar":
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3386&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

3. CIOAdvisor: The Latest Advice from Your Peers
The most recent comments on the most commented-on articles on our 
site.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3546&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by 
Sybase, Intel and Cingular

Sign up now for a FREE "Information Edge" Webinar!
Increasingly, business is happening at the edge. So why is your
vital data stuck in the back office? Join Sybase, Intel and
Cingular to learn how you can mobilize your data and create an
information edge. Register now and for a limited time, CIO's
Focus Guide, The Elite CIO (a $395 value) is FREE.

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3387&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

4. Total Leadership: Get on Board
Monte Ford says in order to be a better IT leader you must walk 
in your customers' shoes.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3502&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

5. Making IT Work: Ignoring the Obvious
You have to know what questions to ask about your business before 
you can install a successful IT system. Just ask the FBI.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3385&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

6. CIO Enterprise Value Awards
Last Week! Has your innovative IT system created real value for 
your business? Get the recognition you deserve. Apply now for the 
14th Annual CIO Enterprise Value Awards. Deadline is April 29, 2005.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2688&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Check out the full April 15 issue of CIO Magazine at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3414&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Thanks for reading the Insider! 

Jennifer McCarthy
Online Producer
[email-masked]

** Keep CIO Insider Spam-Filter Friendly **
Please add [email-masked] to your OK list of 
senders on your spam filter to prevent CIO Insider from 
getting sent to your junk folder.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-CIO.com Services-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~ THE STATE OF THE CIO 2004-2005 ~
The IT Executive's Professional Agenda

CIO magazine's third annual "State of the CIO" survey 
finds CIOs focusing on IT for competitive advantage and 
working evermore closely with the business.
Get the complete findings at: 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2186&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Visit the CIO Store
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=220&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*****************************************************
You are receiving this issue of the CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
CIO magazine, or you have subscribed electronically to
this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your profile, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1284&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

If you would like to receive this update, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1285&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in the CIO Insider,
please contact Lisa Brown at [email-masked].

CIO's online privacy policy is posted at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=14355967&s=1&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2005. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc is located at 492 Old Conn. Path, PO Box 9208, 
Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Joseph Nguyen at
[email-masked] **