Subject: [AthofSV] Americorps Decision Crosses Threshold to Weaken Church-State Separation

From: "oldsalvus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:30:30 -0800

After reading the following article, I was shocked to find out that
government funds are indeed being given to religious institutions, and also
used to teach religion. I think this is outrageous. Why not just hand the
whole government over to the churches if we are going to be forced to
support religion even if we don't believe in or belong to it?

Lou

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=44095

ADL: Americorps Decision Crosses Threshold to Weaken Church-State Separation

3/9/2005 1:13:00 PM

To: National Desk

Contact: Myrna Shinbaum of the Anti-Defamation League, 212-885-7747

NEW YORK, March 9 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today
expressed deep disappointment by a U.S. Court of Appeals decision permitting
government-funded AmeriCorps teachers to provide religious instruction in
religious schools. The decision was handed down on March 8 by the
influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

Daniel S. Alter, ADL Civil Rights Director, issued the following statement
in response to the decision:

In finding the challenged program constitutional, the D.C. Circuit Court of
Appeals has crossed a new threshold, allowing AmeriCorps teachers, paid with
taxpayer dollars, to teach in religious schools and even to teach religion
courses. Unfortunately, the Court of Appeals decision will provide
additional support for those seeking to channel public funds to religious
institutions through faith-based initiatives.

We continue to believe that such initiatives are not only constitutionally
problematic, but also bad public policy. When the government provides
personnel or direct financial assistance to religious institutions, the
ability of those religious institutions to act free from government
interference is necessarily compromised.

ADL participated in the cas