Subject: Help Fire Tom DeLay

From: "Tom Matzzie, MoveOn PAC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:46:33 -0700

Dear MoveOn member,

 This morning, the Washington Post and the New York Times each broke 
 new scandals involving Republican Majority Leader Rep. Tom DeLay.  
 According to the Times, DeLay paid his wife and daughter more than 
 $500,000 of his political donors' money over the last four years. And the 
 Post article highlights a seedy 1997 trip DeLay took, underwritten by "a 
 mysterious company located in the Bahamas" that was tied to Russian 
 business interests. 

And that's not the only legal or ethical scandal DeLay is involved in.
DeLay illegally used corporate funds in support of his plan to re-district
Texas, and he went on golf trips with gambling lobbyist Jack Abramoff--two
months before DeLay helped kill legislation opposed by the gambling
companies.

DeLay's grandstanding on the Terri Schiavo tragedy--which a great majority
of the country feels is political opportunism--was the straw that broke
the camel's back. Now, some Republicans in Congress are speaking out
against DeLay, but most are still too scared of his powerful network of
corporate donors. We need to show all of Congress, both Republicans and
Democrats, that if they stand up to Tom DeLay we've got their back.

It is time to fire Tom DeLay as House Majority Leader. Please sign our
petition urging Congress to remove DeLay from his leader post at the link
below.

http://www.moveonpac.org/delay/?id=5322-86329-Ig6pXNVdbIlmaQFXotruEA&t=1

As the chorus of opposition grows louder, it is important to show that
this isn't just a power struggle in Washington but that, in fact, millions
of Americans share the same concerns about DeLay's pattern of repeated
corruption.

Even the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, one of the most
conservative groups of editors in the country, is offended by the excesses
of Tom DeLay. They wrote on March 28, "Mr. DeLay, who rode to power in 1994
on a wave of revulsion at the everyday ways of big government, has become
the living exemplar of some of its worst habits."

Among his offenses, Tom DeLay:

  * Promised a role in drafting legislation to a corporate donor

  * Tried to coerce a Congressman for a vote on Medicare

  * Allegedly used corporate money given to his PAC to finance Texas
    campaigns in violation of state law

  * Used Homeland Security resources in a dispute with Democrats in Texas

  * Diverted funds from a children's charity for lavish celebrations at
    the Republican convention

  * Threatened retaliation against interest groups that don't support
    Republicans

  * Stacked the House Ethics committee with representatives who have
    contributed to his legal defense fund

  * Accepted trips from corporations and later helped kill legislation
    they opposed

  * Accepted trips from the lobbyist for a foreign government in violation
    of House rules

  * Crippled the effectiveness of the House Ethics Committee by purging
    members who had rebuked him

  * Pushed for a rules change for the House Ethics process that paralyzed
    the panel

  * Sought a rule change that would have no longer "required leaders to
    step aside temporarily if indicted"

  * Paid family members more than $500,000 out of campaign contributions

(See postscript below for a link to citations.)

As Majority Leader, DeLay is the second-ranking leader in the House of
Representatives. He is responsible for developing the Republican issue
agenda and sets the legislative schedule by selecting which bills the
House will consider.

The ranks of government contractors and lobbyists who depend on this
legislative authority have slathered DeLay, his cronies and related
organizations with millions of dollars.

Please sign our petition today urging Congress to fire Tom DeLay!

http://www.moveonpac.org/delay/?id=5322-86329-Ig6pXNVdbIlmaQFXotruEA&t=2

After you sign the petition please forward this e-mail to your friends,
family and colleagues. They need to know about the egregious actions of
this congressional leader.

Thanks for all you do.

--Tom Matzzie and the MoveOn PAC Team
  Wednesday, April 6, 2005

P.S. Here is a link to the brief that we used to document DeLay's abuses.
It includes links to news reports with the specific background on each of
the assertions we make above.

"DeLay's Dirty Dozen" from the American Progress Action Fund
http://thinkprogress.org/index.php?p=430

P.P.S. Our work in this campaign is supported by a number of organizations
who have taken the lead.

Support a TV ad about Tom DeLay by the Campaign for America's Future
https://secure.ctsg.com/ourfuture/donate_delay_tv.asp

The Public Campaign Action Fund also has a TV ad on Tom DeLay. You can
make a contribution to support them.
http://www.pcactionfund.org/resign/

Editorial in The Wall Street Journal.
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=676&id=5322-86329-Ig6pXNVdbIlmaQFXotruEA

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington drafted the ethics
complaint against DeLay, who then tried to have them held in contempt of
Congress.
http://www.citizensforethics.org/

PAID FOR BY MOVEON PAC
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn PAC. To remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=5322-86329-Ig6pXNVdbIlmaQFXotruEA