Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] let's say

From: Samantha Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:15:36 -0800

On Mar 18, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Al Brooks wrote:

> I'm cynical, nevertheless a cynic can be correct on some occasions. 
> liberty is desirable, libertarianism is a valid construct-- but no 
> more than that. We pursue self-ownership however few attain it, 
> someone always owns a piece of the overwhelming majority of us. Even 
> if the piece is very small it is like a small piece of turd in a punch 
> bowl, we instinctively rebel against the thought of it no matter how 
> small the piece may be. So except for the very few we're donkeys 
> chasing the carrot-on-a-stick of self ownership.
>  The very few, the justifiably proud , are a small number who do own 
> themselves and do pursue or possess true liberty: sovereign 
> individuals with billions to enable them to elude the clutches of 
> others. So when you here obtain billions you can write on this list, 
> "I own myself and can pursue liberty to my heart's content". I now 
> respect and harbor no ill will towards the very wealthy, I'd 
> rather wave hello to them as they pass by in their limousines than 
> have any contact with the vengeful rabble in the street.

You don't need billions to be a sovereign individual.   Assuming you do 
and that there is therefore no way to make it is an excuse for doing 
nothing.

>  Above all, time becomes more valuable than anything else because no 
> matter how well you take care of yourself you can always die in an 
> accident. No one can predict the future, predictions are a construct 
> as well. Let's not take our predictions or ourselves too seriously. 
> Whatever the future might hold, you & I might not be around.
>

Almost no one takes anything seriously enough to make any difference.   
You can't get extraordinary results by assuming your life and goals 
aren't worth taking seriously.  I run away when I encounter advice to 
not take life itself seriously.

- samantha

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat