Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

From: Mike Lorrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:47:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Dirk Bruere <[email-masked]> wrote:  
> >
> No, because the energy comes from the inflow and burning of hydrogen
> and the inflow is limited by the speed of light.
> There are no such limits on the kind of lifter you envisage.

Well, then I know you are smoking something. For instance, if, for
instance, our device is relying on solar power, it naturally loses
power as it recedes from the sun, however even if we were to assume
some panels that could convert power from starlight, there would be a
reduction in power given redshift as the incoming light redshifted
outside the range of the receiver panels sensitivity.

Secondly, all mass is subject to relativistic limits on accelerating
mass, requiring increased power to maintain acceleration because mass
increases as speed does toward C. Additionally, there is significant
drag from hard radiation, gas, plasma, and dust strike the vehicle at
high velocity, in addition to electrical inductive resistance by the
galactic lines of force, a CEMF that will impede acceleration.

Your objections to the Bussard Ramjet not being overunity apply equally
well to this technology as well.

Mike Lorrey
Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806) 
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/ 
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Dirk Bruere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:52:15 +0000

>outside the range of the receiver panels sensitivity.
We are only talking about a couple of day's flight from NEO at a few km/s
Redshift doesn't come into it yet we are still MJ in the plus.

-- 
Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millenium
http://www.theconsensus.org