Subject: [AthofSV] FFRF in the News

From: "Gary Berger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:14:40 +0000

FFRF in the News

March 23, 2005

The Freedom From Religion Foundation was mentioned and quotes in today's 
article, "Usual adversaries among missing in Schiavo fight," by Cheryl 
Wetzstein, The Washington Times. Link to the article or read the text below.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050322-110512-8041r.htm

Usual adversaries among missing in Schiavo fight
By Cheryl Wetzstein
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published March 23, 2005

As in most culture war issues, the battle over Terri Schiavo's life has 
attracted an outpouring from an army of traditional values, pro-life, 
conservative and religious groups.

But there is virtual silence from many of their usual adversaries: The 
National Organization for Women, NARAL Pro-Choice America and other major 
pro-choice and feminist groups don't mention the brain-damaged Florida woman 
on their Web sites. Neither does Americans United for Separation of Church 
and State, the National Council of Churches or the National Coalition for 
Domestic Violence (NCDV), even though these groups often lock horns with 
some of the organizations defending Mrs. Schiavo's right to life.

In Congress, some Democrats have been outspoken on the issue.

"There is no bedroom safe in America. There is no hospital room safe," said 
Democratic Rep. David Wu, of Oregon, which has a right-to-die law.

Rep. James P. Moran, Virginia Democrat, said: "I don't know who's right and 
who's wrong, but that's the point. Neither do my colleagues."

And a few Democrats lobbed accusations at Republicans that political motives 
drove their passion for Mrs. Schiavo and her parents.

"If you don't want a decision to be made politically, why in the world do 
you ask 535 politicians to make it? Does anyone think that this decision 
will be made without consideration of electoral support or party or 
ideology? Of course not," said Rep. Barney Frank, Massachusetts Democrat.

The NCDV has "gotten a lot of calls" from advocates who are concerned that 
Mrs. Schiavo suffered domestic violence, "but we don't have any evidence" 
for that, said Jill Morris, policy director for the coalition. In the NCDV's 
view, "this is a personal family matter that should only be handled by the 
family," she said.

Stepping up for Michael Schiavo, who supported removing his wife's feeding 
tube, is the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

"If Congress can intervene in the Schiavo case, it can intervene in any 
case" in which politicians disagree with family members about decisions 
regarding ending life-sustaining measures, Howard Simon, executive director 
of the ACLU of Florida, said recently.

Mr. Simon applauded a federal judge's decision yesterday rejecting a request 
from Mrs. Schiavo's parents to have her feeding tube reconnected.

"What this judge did is protect the freedom of people to make their own 
end-of-life decisions without the intrusion of politicians," he said.

Other groups that generally support Mr. Schiavo's efforts are the American 
Humanist Association (AHA) and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF).

"Part of respecting the worth and dignity of life is respecting individual 
choice. A responsible society must honor Terri Schiavo's wishes," said Tony 
Hileman, AHA executive director.

Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the FFRF, said: "Just because medical 
technology can artificially keep alive someone in a near-brain-dead state 
does not mean it is ethical or compassionate to do so."

Other groups are using the Schiavo case not to take sides, but to promote 
the need for personal "advance directives" or written instructions about 
what to do if someone becomes incapacitated.

The Schiavo case is a "critical teachable moment" for the nation, said 
Washington lawyer Robert Raben, who represents Compassion & Choices, a 
Denver-based end-of-life group.

"The greatest fear of many people is that complete strangers are going to 
make end-of-life decisions for them," he said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Date not known  - Upcoming DEMONSTRATION on Church/State separation
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - South Park episode "The Passion of the Jew"
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/