Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

From: "Bob Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:25:33 -0500

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a
Midwestern lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will
have to be at a dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since
there is too much wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I
have found a used lift (2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act
soon.  It will need to be modified for my boat...I'll be adding an
electric motor (my old muscles would protest too much if I were to hand
crank it out of the water each time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6
bunkers to support the boat, along with some way to support the keel
when the boat is out of the water.
 
Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on
what I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications? 
Also, 2800 lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good,
I'd hate to pass it up if I don't have to.  
 
Thanks again,
 
Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu; #11334
Storm Lake, IA

---

From: "Dick King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:08:06 -0400

Hi Bob F.  There is no such thing as too many questions!  I have some of my own.  Do you have a trailer and a vehicle to tow it? If so, do you have a place to launch and recover and store the boat with the mast up? How does the price of a new trailer compare to the purchase and installation of the lift.   Is the 2800 lb capacity the safe working load or the max capacity?

I know someone who used to have his Catalina 22 on a lift.  I will forward your message to him.  I am sure he will have lots to say about a hoist.  He loved his.  As a matter of fact his wife says he still has it, even though his boats have long since outgrown it.  Maybe he would make you a really good deal.

To paraphrase Louis Plaisance <[email-masked]>, Man, I love this list. 

Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
A bad day sailing beats almost anything worth doing.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Bob Ferguson 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:25 AM
  Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

  My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a Midwestern lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will have to be at a dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since there is too much wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I have found a used lift (2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act soon.  It will need to be modified for my boat...I'll be adding an electric motor (my old muscles would protest too much if I were to hand crank it out of the water each time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6 bunkers to support the boat, along with some way to support the keel when the boat is out of the water.

  Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on what I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications?  Also, 2800 lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good, I'd hate to pass it up if I don't have to.  

  Thanks again,

  Bob Ferguson
  l' etat bleu; #11334
  Storm Lake, IA

---

From: "John Demby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:07:58 -0500

Hi Bob - 

Another option you might consider is if you have access to a dock is mooring
whips (that is what we use on our Lake Dock).  I have a couple of pictures I
can send (or if Chip wants to post them on the site?).  West Marine sells
them, but we got them cheaper from another site (I will check with my
father-in-law, he tracked them down).  Get the ones with the rocker arms -
they cost more bit are well worth it.  We had a storm yesterday with some
wind gusts up to 50+ MPH and the boat was kept away from the dock the whole
time.

Here is the West Marine link - not sure if it will work ..
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1
0001
<http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=
10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=32533&catalogId=10001&classNum=828
&subdeptNum=11207&storeNum=5>
&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=32533&catalogId=10001&classNum=828&subd
eptNum=11207&storeNum=5

Good Luck!

John Demby 'Three Sisters' #11660 Lake Arlington, TX

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bob Ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a Midwestern
lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will have to be at a
dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since there is too much
wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I have found a used lift
(2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act soon.  It will need to be
modified for my boat...I'll be adding an electric motor (my old muscles
would protest too much if I were to hand crank it out of the water each
time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6 bunkers to support the boat, along
with some way to support the keel when the boat is out of the water.

Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on what
I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications?  Also, 2800
lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good, I'd hate to pass
it up if I don't have to.  

Thanks again,

Bob Ferguson

l' etat bleu; #11334

Storm Lake, IA

---

From: "Charlie Gjersvik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:17:44 -0500

Bob:

    I also keep my boat on an inland lake with lots of wind and wave
action, the later especially when the power boats are out.  I have found
that adding snubbers to the dock lines really reduced the amount of
shock being transmitted to the boat.  In my mind, these are essential
and worth every penny.  Worth considering as a cheaper alternative to a
lift.

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL
 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW--What a Ride!"
~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~~ ~ ~
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

Thanks again,

Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu; #11334
Storm Lake, IA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "R M McLeod" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:54:45 -0400

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Bob Ferguson 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:25 AM
  Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

  Thanks again,

  Bob Ferguson
  l' etat bleu; #11334
  Storm Lake, IA

  Hi Bob,  I have kept my boat on a lift since I bought it in 1999.  The lift was originally boutht for a pontoon boat so I had the bunks changed out for the C22 and used metal bunks covered with a thick plastic "U" shaped pieces.  The weight capacity is 3000# and has an inside width of 108".  I sail alone most of the time so when I come in, I tie up at the front of the dock and when I'm ready, pull the boat into the slip over the lift with the two dock lines.  I raise the keel before moving onto the lift (the keel won't clear the lift otherwise)and after raising the lift to max height I lower the keel until the cable is slack(this was recommended on this list.)  We are the 5th dock from the main lake so the wave action isn't too bad except when inconsiderate fishermen leaves the cove at full throttle.)  The lift does have a motor; at age 76 I wouldn't have it any other way.  If there is any other info you need, let me know.

  Ray McLeod
  Symbiosis
  Lake Oconee, Ga