Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

From: "Bob Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:00:45 -0500

Dick,
 
I do trailer it...twice a year.  Once to put it in the water in the
spring and once in the fall to take it out.  I had planned on keeping
the boat at a dock in a protected cove where there is very little wind
or wave activity, but we just bought a house on the lake, so it seems a
shame not to have the boat directly out the back door.  The problem is
that there is lots of wind and waves at the house.
 
Regarding John's suggestion about whips...that was actually my first
choice since I know a little about what it's like to try to bring a boat
into a hoist w/ a strong side wind.  However, no one on our lake uses
them so I had no one to ask about their effectiveness.  John, is your
dock on open water?  How much stress do the whips put on the dock?  Our
docks have to be pulled out every winter, so they are not the really
sturdy structures that permanant ones are.  
 
Thanks again for the ideas,
 
Bob F
l' etat bleu   #11334
Storm Lake, IA

>>> [email-masked] 4/26/2005 11:08:06 AM >>>

Hi Bob F.  There is no such thing as too many questions!  I have some
of my own.  Do you have a trailer and a vehicle to tow it? If so, do you
have a place to launch and recover and store the boat with the mast up?
How does the price of a new trailer compare to the purchase and
installation of the lift.   Is the 2800 lb capacity the safe working
load or the max capacity?
 
I know someone who used to have his Catalina 22 on a lift.  I will
forward your message to him.  I am sure he will have lots to say about a
hoist.  He loved his.  As a matter of fact his wife says he still has
it, even though his boats have long since outgrown it.  Maybe he would
make you a really good deal.
 
To paraphrase Louis Plaisance <[email-masked]>, Man, I love
this list. 
 
Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
A bad day sailing beats almost anything worth doing.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Bob Ferguson 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:25 AM
Subject: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a
Midwestern lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will
have to be at a dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since
there is too much wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I
have found a used lift (2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act
soon.  It will need to be modified for my boat...I'll be adding an
electric motor (my old muscles would protest too much if I were to hand
crank it out of the water each time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6
bunkers to support the boat, along with some way to support the keel
when the boat is out of the water.
 
Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on
what I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications? 
Also, 2800 lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good,
I'd hate to pass it up if I don't have to.  
 
Thanks again,
 
Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu; #11334
Storm Lake, IA

---

From: "John Demby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:38:51 -0500

Hello All - 

I sent Bob a direct response with a pic of our dock with the whips, but I
wanted to send that response to the list less the pic since reading these
are what the list is all about.  Let me know off list if anyone wants me to
send them a pic of the whips mounted on our dock.

Our lake is a mid-size lake that does have permanent docks, so our dock has
four steel poles and a structure for a motor boat we do not use.  When we
got the sailboat, we decide to mount the whips on the outside part of the
doc as seen in the pic.  We are in a wind shelter where we are, but we are
very close to the public dock so we get lots of powerboats that want to show
off once they clear the no wake zone :-)!  Also, we have had our share of
bad weather, so even though the area is somewhat wind sheltered - it still
kicks up from time to time.

We did go with the bigger whips that are designed for boats over 35' and can
handle Gross Weight of over 30,000#.  I will say it is pretty cool to go to
the dock and loosen the whips and watch the boat ease right next to the dock
and when we are done just pull the whips down and watch the boat float right
away from the dock .

Thanks!

John D. 'Three Sisters' #11660 Lake Arlington, TX

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bob Ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Boat Lift/Hoist?

Dick,

I do trailer it...twice a year.  Once to put it in the water in the spring
and once in the fall to take it out.  I had planned on keeping the boat at a
dock in a protected cove where there is very little wind or wave activity,
but we just bought a house on the lake, so it seems a shame not to have the
boat directly out the back door.  The problem is that there is lots of wind
and waves at the house.

Regarding John's suggestion about whips...that was actually my first choice
since I know a little about what it's like to try to bring a boat into a
hoist w/ a strong side wind.  However, no one on our lake uses them so I had
no one to ask about their effectiveness.  John, is your dock on open water?
How much stress do the whips put on the dock?  Our docks have to be pulled
out every winter, so they are not the really sturdy structures that
permanant ones are.  

Bob F

l' etat bleu   #11334

Storm Lake, IA

>>> [email-masked] 4/26/2005 11:08:06 AM >>>

Hi Bob F.  There is no such thing as too many questions!  I have some of my
own.  Do you have a trailer and a vehicle to tow it? If so, do you have a
place to launch and recover and store the boat with the mast up? How does
the price of a new trailer compare to the purchase and installation of the
lift.   Is the 2800 lb capacity the safe working load or the max capacity?

I know someone who used to have his Catalina 22 on a lift.  I will forward
your message to him.  I am sure he will have lots to say about a hoist.  He
loved his.  As a matter of fact his wife says he still has it, even though
his boats have long since outgrown it.  Maybe he would make you a really
good deal.

To paraphrase Louis Plaisance <[email-masked]>, Man, I love this
list. 

Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Bob Ferguson <mailto:[email-masked]>  

My apologies for posting so many questions so quickly after joining the
list, but there's some urgency to this one.  My boat is kept on a Midwestern
lake...the DNR does not allow us to use moorings, so it will have to be at a
dock.  That means I'll have to buy a hoist or lift since there is too much
wind and wave action to just tie it to the dock.  I have found a used lift
(2800 lb rating) that is at a good price if I act soon.  It will need to be
modified for my boat...I'll be adding an electric motor (my old muscles
would protest too much if I were to hand crank it out of the water each
time!) and I'll have to add a pair of 2x6 bunkers to support the boat, along
with some way to support the keel when the boat is out of the water.

Does anyone have any experience with hoists and, if so, any thoughts on what
I should look for, avoid, etc. as I'm doing the modifications?  Also, 2800
lb capacity seems a bit marginal, but the price is so good, I'd hate to pass
it up if I don't have to.  

Thanks again,

Bob Ferguson

l' etat bleu; #11334

Storm Lake, IA