Subject: Inside Sun: RFID: ready to transform your supply chain

From: "Sun Microsystems" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:22:12 -0500

You are receiving this e-mail at [email-masked]
because you elected to receive e-mails from Sun Microsystems, 
Inc. To update your communications preferences, please see 
the link at the bottom of this message. We respect your 
privacy and post our privacy policy prominently on our 
Web site: http://www.sun.com/privacy

INSIDE SUN: 
Your Source for Breaking News and Hot Deals

March 23, 2005

_____________________________________
IN THIS ISSUE
    
Ready for RFID
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_im043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

The Road to RFID Compliance
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_in043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Open Source Scare Tactics
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_io043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Ultra-COOL Deals on UltraSPARC Servers!
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_il043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
FEATURE STORY

Ready for RFID.

Jump into the RFID era by building a back end that takes 
advantage of real-time information

Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology seems simple 
enough. Slap tags on cartons, install some readers, and then 
track merchandise as it moves through the supply chain. But 
this is just the tip of the iceberg. RFID technology and 
Electronic Product Codes (EPC) provide businesses with an 
unprecedented, real-time view of the location, status, and 
integrity of their assets. Simply put, it is transforming how 
companies do business. 

Full story...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_is043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
SUN.COM TOP PICKS

Big Brother or Chicken Little?
RFID promises to revolutionize the supply-chain, but at what cost?

 * Read Scott McNealy's take.
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_iu043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1
 
 * U.S. Senators want RFID to stay regulation-free.
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_ip043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1
 
 * You still have nine days to comment on the EU's RFID privacy 
   legislation plans. Make that eight.
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_iq043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Making RFID Work:
Looking into RFID? See how one Asian company did it right.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_it043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Better than Java?
Sun's Guy Steele faces an enormous challenge: creating the 
next-generation programming language.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_ir043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

See all feature stories:
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_iv043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
TOP SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS

 * Sun Java System RFID Event Manager & Information Server
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_i$043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1
   
 * Java 2 Platform, SE 5.0
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h2043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

 * Java 2 Platform, EE 1.4
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h3043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

 * NetBeans IDE 4.1 Beta
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h1043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

 * Solaris 10 OS FREE Download!
   http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h5043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

See all downloads: 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h0043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Java Technology from Java.com -- Get it Free!
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h4043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
JONATHAN'S BLOG

Open Source Scare Tactics
Some see open source as the first nail in the free-market 
system's coffin. Others don't. Guess which side Sun President 
and COO Jonathan Schwartz is on.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hC043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
SPOTLIGHT ON SPECIALS

Hot Deals on AMD Opteron Processor-powered Systems

Power up your compute-intensive applications with AMD Opteron 
processor-based Sun servers and workstations, and save 15-18 
percent off the regular price. Expires June 30th. 

More...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h7043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

UltraSPARC IV: Get Double Trade-In Value for Your UltraSPARC 
II Servers

Trade-up to Sun Fire UltraSPARC IV servers and get trade-in 
discounts of up to 20 percent (double trade-in value!) for 
your Sun Enterprise UltraSPARC II servers. Expires June 30th. 

More...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h6043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

 ***   ***   ***   ***   ***
 
Boost Your Career and Save up to $440 on Training!

Get a great deal on Sun training. Save up to $440 off the 
price of two hands-on, instructor-led courses: Solaris 10 OS 
for Systems Administrators and Dynamic Performance Tuning and 
Troubleshooting with DTrace. Hurry! Expires April 30th. 

More...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hA043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1
 
***   ***   ***   ***   ***

Save More Than 50 Percent on Must-Have Java Developer Tools

Deploy applications faster with the Java Studio Developer 
Bundle. Buy now and save more than 50 percent! Includes Sun 
Java Studio Enterprise software, Sun Java Studio Creator 
software, and more! Expires June 30th.

More...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h8043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

 ***   ***   ***   ***   ***
 
FREE Download -- Sun Java Studio Creator Software 2004Q2

Download the next-generation Java application development tool 
absolutely FREE. Enhances the power of Java standards with 
simplified visual techniques for the most effective way to 
build applications in Java.

More...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_h9043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

See all promotions:
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hB043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
IN THE NEWS

SunTV: 
Worth a second look: Join Sun CEO Scott McNealy and COO Jonathan 
Schwartz as they present the next step in Sun's "The Network 
is the Computer" vision.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hK043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

eWEEK.com:
Sun's Solaris 10 OS ships with features that will enhance 
security and resource management.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hG043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

eWEEK.com: 
Sun's Niagara chip is the first major step in the company's 
throughput computing initiative. Read about it here.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hI043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

See all news: 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hL043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
READING ROOM

Remote and Preventive Offerings:
Create value-added service offerings with remote monitoring 
and preventive capabilities. Here's how Sun does it...
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hJ043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Platform Independence: 
Independent software vendors: Learn how to leverage Java 
technology independence and interoperability and still avoid 
vendor lock-in.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hE043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Controlling Superuser Access:
Discover how the Solaris 10 OS controls access by limiting 
superuser powers.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hD043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Using Annotations in J2SE 5.0:
Find out how to use the new J2SE 5.0 software annotations 
feature to add constraints to JavaBeans properties. 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hF043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

See all documentation: 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hH043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
TRAINING AND EVENTS

The Road to RFID Compliance:
Worried about RFID deployment deadlines? Don't be. Tune in to 
this featured Net Talk.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hS3_hY43Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

NCO5Q2:
Sign up for a reminder for Sun's Network Computing 05Q2 Web 
event. Get the latest news on the hottest IT developments! 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hT3_hY43Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

FREE Software and Book:
Be one of the first 1000 to register for the 2005 JavaOne 
conference, get Sun Java Studio Creator software and book FREE.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hU3_hY43Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Training News:
Subscribe to Sun's informational training updates; hear about 
the latest training and certification offerings! 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hQ3_hY43Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Financial Services Summit:
See next-generation technologies for trading, risk management, 
and compliance, at "24 Hours on La Salle Street." Chicago, 
April 5.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hR3_hY43Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

See all events
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_hV043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
INSIDE SUN ARCHIVES AND SUBSCRIPTION CENTER

We welcome your feedback and questions at [email-masked].

Browse past issues at our archive page: 
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_fe043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Subscribe or unsubscribe from Inside Sun: 
https://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_g1043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Update your other Sun subscription preferences or 
unsubscribe from Sun news services:
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_g3043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

Forward to a friend:
https://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=70043Vkt3x410120003_fV043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$&=1

_____________________________________
Sun Microsystems, 4150 Network Circle, USCA22-106, 
Santa Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A.

(c) 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. 

For information on Sun's trademarks see: 
http://www.sun.com/suntrademarks

-----------------
annmn:[743Vkt043Vkt3x410120000043Vkt0mqTOQqTL$]