Subject: [AthofSV] FW: AU @ctivist :: Ruling on Prayers at Board Meeting Upholds Discrimination Against Minorities

From: "oldsalvus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:07:02 -0700

I just got this by email, and I thought everyone should know. This country
is still in deep trouble.

Lou

-----Original Message-----
From: Americans United [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AU @ctivist :: Ruling on Prayers at Board Meeting Upholds
Discrimination Against Minorities

                  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

                  Ruling On Prayers At Board Meetings Upholds Discrimination
Against Minorities, Says AU
                  Thursday, April 14, 2005
                  Appeals Court Decision Is Threat To America's Growing
Religious Diversity, Says Americans United's Lynn
                 CONTACT

                  Press:
                  Joseph Conn, Rob Boston, or Jeremy Leaming
                  202-466-3234 telephone
                  202-466-2587 fax
                  http://www.au.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------

                  RULING ON PRAYERS AT BOARD MEETINGS UPHOLDS DISCRIMINATION
AGAINST MINORITIES, SAYS AU

                  Appeals Court Decision Is Threat To America's Growing
Religious Diversity Says Americans United's Lynn

                  A federal appeals court today issued a flawed decision
upholding selective prayers before county board meetings, says Americans
United for Separation of Church and State.

                  A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of
Appeals unanimously ruled that prayers before a Virginia county board of
supervisors do not violate the First Amendment. The court cited the Supreme
Court's 1983 ruling in Marsh v. Chambers, where the justices ruled that
nonsectarian prayers before the Nebraska legislature were permissible.

                  Americans United for Separation of Church and State and
the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia brought the case on behalf of
a Chesterfield County resident who asked the Board of Supervisors to be
placed on a list to give an invocation at its meetings.

                  When the Board discovered the citizen, Cynthia Simpson,
wanted to give a Wiccan prayer, she was denied, being told that only
invocations "consistent with the Judeo-Christian tradition" were welcome.
Her Simpson v. Chesterfield County lawsuit argued that the board's policy
violated the separation of church and state.

                  "This is a terrible decision," said the Rev. Barry W.
Lynn, Americans United executive director. "It allows government officials
to engage in rank discrimination against religious minorities that they
don't approve of.

                  "Cynthia Simpson was denied the right to offer a prayer at
the Chesterfield County Board meeting because board members did not approve
of her particular faith," Lynn continued. "That's bigotry pure and simple,
and the appeals court should have put a stop to it.

                  "It would be best if government officials stayed out of
religious matters entirely," Lynn concluded, "but if some religious leaders
are allowed to lead prayers at board meetings, all traditions ought to be
included. That's simple fairness, and that's what the Constitution requires.
The appellate court has turned a deaf ear to the growing religious diversity
of America."

                  Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a
religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947,
the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state
separation in safeguarding religious freedom.

                  Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group
based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates
Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding
religious freedom.

                        If you received
                        this message
                        from a friend,
                        sign up for
                        AU email alerts. If you are a member of Americans
United, thank you. To help Americans United by funding our work, please join
AU or renew your membership
                        today by visiting
                        our secure online gift center. Update your profile
to receive information on church-state activity in your state.

                  Beth Corbin
                  National Field Director

                        Americans United
                        for Separation of Church and State
                        518 C Street, NE
                        Washington, DC 20002 202-466-3234 telephone
                        202-466-2587 fax
                        [email-masked]
                        [email-masked]

                 for more information please visit http://www.au.org/

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.

---

From: Chris Eschenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:17:16 -0700

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
My appologies if this has already been brought to the attention of the 
list. But the book is so good I thought I'd take the risk of 
re-recommending it: "The End of Faith" by Stanford grad, Sam Harris.  
There is actually a very good but brief interview with Mr. Harris here:  

 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/542154/002-0860390-4066422

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Would you Help a Child in need?
It is easier than you think.
Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Sat. 4/16, 2:00 - "Ethicology: Proposing a New Science of Moral Imperatives"
   by Richard Carrier, in Berkeley
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - An Atheist's Guide to Objectivism
Thu. 5/5, 11:15 - PROTEST of the National Day of Prayer, at SJ City Hall
Wed. 5/25, 7:30 - Women's Voice From the East: speech on Taslima Nasrin

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/