Subject: [Catalina22] Buntline Hitch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:57:55 EST

I have used the buntline hitch for years.  However, it is not always a  good 
substitute for a bowline or for a clove hitch.
 
One can easily undo the knot after exerting great pressure.  Yet, in  this 
advantage it can become loose when one lessens pressure unless one whips  down 
the bitter end.
 
It does snug up nicely and in this regard it is best used for all line  
halyards with a shackle where an eye splice creates a thicker line near the eye  
that may jam in a truck sheave.
 
I personally would not use it alone on a main sail head board as it snugs  
down too tightly and therefor not ride easily in the hole in the  headboard.  
Also, when one relaxes the halyard it may become loose.  A  bowline I think is 
preferable here.
 
May fine wind and seas never be a knot with your sailing.
 
Bayard Gross
C-22 #9911
Baby Blue
Greenwich,  CT