Subject: [AthofSV] Is this true?

From: "Chris Lindstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:17:20 -0000

I actually read this at work in some training on "The Customer 
Experience" about building "Emotional Loyalty" (bleh) we had to take 
but it seemed relevant.

Apparently, some big business exec told some marketing guru the 
following: "people buy emotionally and then justify with logic."

Interesting. Does that apply to us too? !!

Chris Lindstrom

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - An Atheist's Guide to Objectivism
Mon.-Thu. 5/2-5/5 - Christian 'Truth' Forums at Stanford
Thu. 5/5, 11:15 - PROTEST of the National Day of Prayer, at SJ City Hall
Wed. 5/11, 7:30 - Heresy Trial: A First-Hand Report
Fri. 5/20,  TBD - Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists, in SF
Wed. 5/25, 7:30 - Women's Voice From the East: speech on Taslima Nasrin

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: David Wilkes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:04:26 -0700

>Interesting. Does that apply to us too? !!
I do not like blanket statements like that.  Some people sometimes buy 
emotionally.  Some people who buy emotionally sometimes justify their 
purchase with logic (which may be illogical). 
In justifying their purchase they may argue illogically from a logical 
premise or argue logically from an illogical premise.  They could argue 
logically from a logical premise or illogically from an illogical premise.

Then again, some people may make a rational decision to buy, based on a 
need, research of product options, and weighing of cost vs benefit.

Maybe people should pick their religion that way

David

---

From: "Walter Hecker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:37:08 -0700

> Interesting. Does that apply to us too? !!

We like to think of ourselves as primarily intellectual beings.  That is not
surprising because we are most aware of our rational thoughts and have to
dig deeper to become aware of our emotions.  But if we actually study human
behavior it appears that the intellect is not the sovereign.  One of several
indications for that is the fact that our emotions pay no heed whatsoever to
what the rational intellect wants.  It looks much more like the emotional
facility determines what we want and it delegates to our rational facility
to figure out how to get it and then to direct the mission to get it.  That
makes a lot of sense in evolutionary terms; more sense IMHO than the
rational intellect being the boss.

Walter Hecker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->