Subject: CIO Leader: Traits You Need to Lead

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:56:27 -0400 (EDT)

CIO Leader
Updates, Insights and Advice from CIO.com and CIO magazine
April 25, 2005

Also in this edition:
1. Weigh In: A Matter of Confidence
2. Total Leadership: Get on Board
3. Workforce: Retention Woes
4. Higher Learning: The CIO as "Intrapreneur"
5. The Dynamic Enterprise: How to Lead It

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This section of CIO Leader newsletter is sponsored by Adobe

How Secure Is Your Data? 
Control Information from Creation to Distribution.
Visit the Adobe Electronic Document Security Partner Domain.
See the latest solutions, presentations, whitepaper and much more...

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3328&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Weigh In: A Matter of Confidence
Leaders gotta have it. . . but it must go beyond swagger, 
according to columnist John Baldoni.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3409&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

2. Total Leadership: Get on Board
Be a better IT leader by walking in your customers' shoes, 
says Monte Ford, CIO (and sometime flight attendant) of 
American Airlines. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3502&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

3. Workforce: Retention Woes
Keeping good workers is tough all over. Labor issues for your 
boss, HR and. . . you.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3503&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This section of CIO Leader newsletter is sponsored by 
Sybase, Intel and Cingular Wireless

Sign up now for a FREE "Information Edge" Webinar!
Register now and for a limited time, receive The Elite CIO
(a $395 value) FREE

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3387&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Higher Learning: The CIO as "Intrapreneur"
Your job is not clearly understood by others in your 
organization. You may even be confused by it sometimes. But, 
Frank Demmler of Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business 
says, you and your team have the expertise and ability to 
create a vision of what you could be as well as the ability 
to plot a strategy and action plan to get there. In other 
words, be an "intrapreneur."
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3504&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

5. The Dynamic Enterprise: How to Lead It
Rosina Howe-Teo, President of Singapore's IT Management 
Association as well as IT director and chief innovation 
officer, Land Transport Authority (LTA), echoes Frank 
Demmler's mantra of determining your own fate as CIO. And 
she takes it further: "Why be transformed, why can't we 
transform others?" she challenged attendees at the CIO Asia 
Conference & Awards. (From our cousin publication CIO Asia.)
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3505&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

Thanks for reading the CIO Leader. Suggestions, comments?
Send them along.

And have a happy Holi today!
What's Holi? Here's a link.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3506&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

Sandy Kendall
Web Editor 
CIO.com
[email-masked]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-CIO.com Services-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Webcast 
IPLocks
Seven steps to protect your company's most valuable asset
Join leading, information security experts as they define
information risk management, and explain how information
risk management solves a growing security threat that
perimeter and traditional security approaches cannot stop.
Go now.

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=3507&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

Visit the CIO Store
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=220&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*****************************************************
You are receiving this issue of the CIO Leader because
you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your profile, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1284&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

If you would like to receive this update, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1285&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter,
please contact Lisa Brown at [email-masked].

CIO's online privacy policy is posted at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=14283671&s=1&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2005. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc is located at 492 Old Conn. Path, PO Box 9208, 
Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Joseph Nguyen at
[email-masked] **