Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Quick release pins

From: "Ashley, Miles H, WCS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:15:56 -0600

Dick,
 
I've specifically fashioned a 2 part or split shroud cover / roller from
schedule 40 PVC pipe and caps that effectively cover the shroud
turnbuckles, secures both turnbuckle terminals, and provides a very
effective roller around the shrouds.  
 
The lower part of the shroud cover is made of a 10" long by 1-1/2" piece
of schedule 40 PVC, the bottom cut off to the angle of the chain plate
base, and the top being capped with a 1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC cap with a
1/4" hole in the center for the shroud turnbuckle's upper terminal stud
to go through.  The lower part remains fairly fixed because of the angle
cut on the bottom of the 10" long pipe.  I've made a drill press jig to
be very accurate in centering the 1/4" hole in the schedule 40 PVC caps.
The best schedule 40 PVC caps to use are the ones that are slightly
rounded on top vs. the flat ended schedule 40 PVC caps.  The 10" pipe
length is adjusted by cutting it shorter so that the schedule 40 PVC cap
rides on the shroud turnbuckle's upper terminal stud surface rather than
the 1/8" shroud wire, and low enough that the lower schedule 40 PVC cap
of  the upper shroud cover (described next)  will also be able to ride
on the shroud turnbuckle's upper terminal stud surface also.   
 
The upper part of the shroud cover is made of a 3' to 6' length of 1/2"
, 3/4", or 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe and caps, depending upon personal
preference, shrouds being covered, foresail height at the shroud when
pulled aft, but all pieces are capped on both ends with a rounded
schedule 40 PVC cap that has a 1/4" hole, accurately drilled, through
the center of the cap.  The shroud turnbuckle's upper upper terminal
stud passes through the upper shroud's top cap, the upper shroud's
schedule 40 PVC pipe, and through the upper shroud's bottom cap then
through the lower shroud cover.
 
All PVC parts are wiped clean of all writing with a paper towel and
Schedule 40 plastic cleaner - OUTSIDE far from flames (contains
Acetone), and there is no need to glue any part together to make for
easy removal and inspection later.
 
The lower shroud covers will cover 1/4" X 5/8" long toggle pins (CD part
# D1664 www.catalinadirect.com ) which I modified with a 3/32" hole in
the head end of the toggle, for a small double loop lanyard made of
1/32" Nylon Coated Stainless Steel Wire and a #5 crimping sleeve.  A 6"
piece of the wire was first placed through the hole in the toggle head
then passed into but not through the sleeve.  The other tag end of the
coated wire was then looped into the other end of the crimping sleeve
making a "Dog Bone" shape.  The crimping sleeve was then adjusted to
make the loop on the toggle end larger - enough so that the opposite
loop was tightened around a 3/8"shaft, making a tighter loop that the
shroud turnbuckle's lower terminal stud will pass through medium
loosely.  Before crimping the lanyard onto the toggle pin, make sure
that the tag ends of the covered wire do not stick out of the sleeve.
There are 3 sections of wire contained by the crimping sleeve.
 
Finally, I've used 2 SCAR Pins (LayLine Part # SCARP3328 3/32" pin size
/ 8" X 3/4" Velcro www.layline.com ) to secure  the turnbuckle from
turning inside the shroud covers / rollers.  These SCAR pins had to be
shortened by 1/8" using another jig and a Dremel cut off tool.  The SCAR
Pins are bulky but fit easily in the 1-1/2" lower shroud covers.
 
With this setup, the sail slides across the shroud rollers, the
turnbuckles are secured, no messy tape with sticky stuff to get
everywhere, fully adjustable, and your boat looks like a classic with
white walls!
 
I'm working on getting several pictures to Chip demonstrating the setup.
 
Captain  Miles  Ashley
Hull # 940 - Swing Keel
'72   C-22    Dragonass  
Chincoteague Island, VA

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dick King
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Quick release pins

Bayard - I use PVC tubing on my forward lowers to prevent the jib sheets
from catching on them during tacks.  I have considered using a quick
release pin of some sort to help the rigging process.  However I am
concerned about the tubing fitting down over the pins to protect the
cover of the double braided sheets.  How have you addressed that
problem?  
 
I also tape the clevis pin and circular cotter pins I use.  It seems
like it would take a lot more tape and leave a large lump at the end of
each forward lower.  Comments?
 
Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
A bad day sailing beats almost anything worth doing.

	----- Original Message ----- 
	From: [email-masked] 
	To: [email-masked] 
	Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:23 PM
	Subject: [Catalina22] Quick release pins

	Ken:
	 
	Catalina Direct has the push button quick release pins for the
shrouds:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=10908
	 
	Catalina Direct can also attach a lanyard to these quick pins:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=10060
	 
	However, for safety's sake, I think the toggle pins they offer
are better:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=10147
	 
	These I believe are the toggle pins that Rich Magner mentioned.
	 
	And, yea, those quick pins could be used on the table.
	 
	Bayard Gross
	C-22 #9911
	Baby Blue
	Greenwich, CT