Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

From: "scerir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:20:27 +0100

> "Acceleration can only be defined
> as relative acceleration of a point
> relative to other bodies. This circumstance
> indicates that it is meaningless to ascribe
> to a body a resistance relative to acceleration
> as such (inertial resistance of bodies
> in the sense of classical mechanics); much rather,
> it must be required that the appearence of
> an inertial resistance be tied to the relative
> acceleration of the considered body relative to
> other bodies. It must be required that the inertial
> resistance of a body can be increased by bringing
> unaccelerated ponderable masses into the
> neighborhood of the body."
> - A.Einstein (1913)

There is something more specific, about the Mach-(Mike)
principle, that Einstein also wrote in 1913. 

[Mass A, and masses B,C, ... in its neighborhood. What
if masses B,C,... are not still but they are accelerated 
together with the mass A? In this case the increase 
of the inertial resistance in A, surrounded by B,C,...,
should be overcompensated by the acceleration of B,C,...
This is the issue.] 

"The acceleration of the masses B,C,... must induce
an accelerating force on [mass] A that is in the same 
direction as the acceleration. One sees in this way
that the extra accelerating force must overcompensate
the increase of the inertia caused by the mere presence
of B,C,..., since in accordance with the relation
between energy and inertia of systems the system
A,B,C,... as a whole must have a smaller inertia
the smaller is its gravitational energy." 

Btw, in the literature it is possible to find between 10 and
20 different Mach principles. Of course possible Machian 
'effects' are not independent of these many and different
Machian principles. 

Mach-1:  Newton's gravitational constant G is a dynamical field 
         (Brans-Dicke Theory)
Mach-2:  an isolated body in otherwise empty space has no inertia
Mach-3:  local inertial frames are affected by the cosmic motion 
         and distribution of matter
Mach-4:  the universe is spatially closed 
Mach-5:  the total energy, angular, and linear momentum of 
         the universe are zero 
Mach-6:  inertial mass is affected by the global distribution 
         of matter
Mach-7:  take away all matter, there is no more space 
Mach-8:  '4 pai rho G T^2' is a definite number of order unity 
         (T is the Hubble time, rho is the mean density of the
         universe)
Mach-9:  the theory contains no absolute elements (general 
         covariance)
Mach-10: overall rigid rotations and translations of a system 
         are unobservable 
Mach-11: there is a 'dual' Mach principle, it is about the 
         relativity of time  

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: "scerir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:04:40 +0100

> There is a preferred reference frame
> and relativity goes out the window [...]

There is a paper by Reginald Cahill
about that. (Who sponsored the idea
of a cosmic preferred reference frame 
was, of course, David Bohm.)

http://redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/V11NO1PDF/V11N1CA2.pdf
(about 60 pages)

Conclusions.
We have shown here that seven experiments, so far, have clearly
revealed experimental evidence of absolute motion. As well these
are all consistent with respect to the direction and speed of
that motion. This clearly refutes the fundamental postulates
of the Einstein reinterpretation of the relativistic effects that
had been developed earlier by Lorentz and others. Indeed these
experiments are consistent with the Lorentzian interpretation
of the special relativistic effects in which reality displays both
absolute motion and relativistic effects. It is absolute motion
that actually causes these relativistic effects. Data from the
Michelson interferometer fringe-shift experiments had never
been properly analysed until now. That analysis requires that
the Fitzgerald-Lorentz contraction effect be taken into account,
as well as the effect of the gas on the speed of light in the
interferometer.
Only then does the fringe-shift data from air and
helium interferometer experiments become consistent, and then
also consistent with the two RF coaxial cable travel-time experiments.
The seasonal changes in the Miller fringe-shift data
reveal the orbital motion of the earth about the sun, as well as
an in-flow of space past the earth into the sun. These results
support the new theory of gravity. As well the large cosmic
velocity of the solar system is seen to be different to the velocity
associated with the Cosmic Microwave Background, which
implies another gravitational in-flow, this time into the Milky
Way. The fringe-shift data has also indicated the presence of
turbulence in these gravitational in-flows, and this amounts to
the detection of gravitational waves. These are waves predicted
by the new theory of gravity, and not those associated with the
Hilbert-Einstein theory of gravity. As noted in [2] the Newtonian
theory of gravity is deeply flawed, as revealed by its inability
to explain a growing number of gravitational anomalies,
but which are explained by the new theory. In particular the
borehole g anomaly and the rotation velocity curves of spiral
galaxies, together with the absence of this e.ect in ordinary elliptical
galaxies, have been explained. These flaws arose because
the solar system was too special, because of its high spherical
symmetry, to have revealed the full range of phenomena that
is gravity. General Relativity 'inherited' these flaws, and so is
itself flawed. As discussed in [2] the clear-cut checks of General
Relativity were actually done in systems also with high spherical
symmetry.

More papers in the 'Absolute Motion' page
http://www.mountainman.com.au/process_physics/