Subject: [AthofSV] FW: [ratt_announce] Discussion @4pm, 8pm meet up before Behe talk tonight

From: "Mark W. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:21:14 -0700

godless,

The Rational Thought group at Stanford, RATT, is having a discussion @4pm
and an 8pm meet up before the Behe talk tonight.  Who wants to go?

If you go, I suggest that you print up the local map and a map of the whole
campus.  It's easy to get lost.

 - Mark

Map to tonite's talk:
http://campus-map.stanford.edu/campus_map/results.jsp?bldg=William+R.+Hewlet
t+Teaching+Center

Map to this afternoon's discussion:
http://campus-map.stanford.edu/campus_map/results.jsp?bldg=&dept=Philosophy&
addr=

===============

Tonight, 8:30pm, TCseq200, Dr. Michael Behe will give his lecture on
Intelligent Design. Our group is going to be there, in respectful
disagreement, and will hand out flyers for our follow-up event on Friday.

We need some more people to help hand out the flyers. Please come and
support us in this. In case you're curious, the text of the flyer is
included below.

We will meet at 8pm at the entrance to TCseq facing the Packard EE building
(near the "clock fountain"). Hope to see many of you there!

- Martin.

*************

ID is not science!
Come hear why this matters.

Intelligent Design follow-up event

Short Presentation
followed by
Discussion Open to All

Friday, May 06, 4pm
Room 100-101K (Philosophy dept.)

Intelligent Design is not a serious contender to the theory of evolution.
The ID movement tries to pass off religious-inspired convictions as
science. Using important-sounding technical terms, they will present
arguments that on the surface seem to make a lot of sense. Their ideas,
however, have been examined at length by scientists (as well as by
religious scholars outside of ID), and they are all found to be either
without any basis in reality, misleading, or plain wrong. The battle over
ID in the public sphere is cultural in origin, not scientific. Come hear
why this distinction matters!

Organized by: Rational Thought
(http://www.stanford.edu/group/ratt)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Mon-Thu 5/2-5/5 - Christian 'Truth' Forums at Stanford
Thu. 5/5, 11:15 - PROTEST of the National Day of Prayer, at SJ City Hall
Wed. 5/11, 7:30 - From One Heretic to Another: A Heresy Trial Report
Fri. 5/20, 7:00 - Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists, in SF
Sat,Sun 5/21,22 - Movie world premier: "The God Who Wasn't There", SF
Wed. 5/25, 7:30 - Women's Voice From the East: speech on Taslima Nasrin
Fri. 5/27, 7:30 - SV premier: "The God Who Wasn't There", at Stanford

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Martin Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:35:52 -0700

Just to clarify -- the follow-up meeting organised by us is this Friday, May
06 only. We are currently confirming the attendance of members of the
National Center for Science Education, who are excellently prepared to
present the case against ID and for evolution.

- Martin.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Martin Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:36:06 -0700

- Martin.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

---

From: Martin Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:35:50 -0700

- Martin.