Subject: UUCPA announce: Bill Jacobsen talks on Humanism, Thursday, Feb. 24

From: "Jack Owicki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:46:15 -0800

Humanism is one of the acknowledged Sources for UUism, and it's been
especially important at UUCPA.  As part of our exploration of our Sources
this year, the Adult Religious Education Committee has invited Bill Jacobsen
to talk about the role of Humanism within UUism.
 
Bill's talk will be in the Main Hall at 7:30 on Thursday, Feb. 24, and is
entitled "Detective? Facilitator? Strategist? All three! Curiosity, Wisdom,
and Shrewdness in Humanism."
 
Bill is a former minister at UUCPA and is now Executive Director of the
Humanist Community.  He is known for his lucid and stimulating talks.   
 
Here's a fuller description of the talk:
 
Bill Jacobsen has viewed Humanism from the outside as a UU minister and from
the inside as the executive director of the Humanist Community. He has
learned much, but his assessment remains the same. Humanism can't bask in
self-satisfied smugness; it needs continual self-criticism.  The UU
tradition came out of Christianity, even as Humanism came out of the UU
tradition. So it's no surprise that these "come outer" traditions often fall
into the trap of defining themselves negatively - as a series of denials
with regard to the claims of Christianity or even theism. But what happens
when we create our own identity and frame the discussion, independent of
what others have said? Bill lays out a positive stance as he shows how
curiosity, wisdom, and shrewdness can make you a better detective,
facilitator, strategist for Humanism within the UUA.

If you're planning to attend, it would help us if you would pre-register by
calling (650-494-0541) or emailing: ([email-masked]) the church office, or
signing up at the Religious Education Table on the patio on Sunday morning.

Best regards,

Jack Owicki

for the Adult RE Committee