Subject: UUCPA announce: Music and Spirit, Sunday March 13, Monteverdi: Vespers

From: "Kathy Lewis Parmentier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:09:59 -0800

Music and Spirit

Sunday, March 13, 5:30 PM, Fireside Room

Time: 5:30PM to 9:00PM

Cost: Children 10 to Adult: $5.  Children 5-10: $2.50, Children under 5
Free.

Come join us for a simple dinner (Chili, salad, cornbread and dessert.)
followed by a music video/DVD. 

Facilitators: Janet Buelow and Kathy Parmentier

Monteverdi: Vespro della Beata Virgine (1610)

                    Vespers of the Blessed Virgin

John Elliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir, The English Baroque Soloists 

Claudio Monteverdi was one of the greatest European composers in the century
before Bach. This work, music for the Vespers service, is one of his finest.
Filmed in the Basilica of San Marco in Venice, this performance shows us the
type of performance that Monteverdi might have produced, using the many
alcoves and balconies to create visual and sonic effects. Venice was a
cultural and musical center and open to new musical styles and harmonies.
This building, the Basilica of San Marco, was the church of the Doge, and
its structure and acoustics inspired Monteverdi, Gabrielli, and others to
try ideas which we now see moved music from the Renaissance to the Baroque.
However, this style, so new then, is now so old that it is unfamiliar to
many of us. The harmonies and melodies have more in common with the music of
the Mediaeval Church than with Bach and those that have followed. It is
beautiful and moving.

Kathryn Lewis Parmentier 
465 Pin Oak Drive 
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 
Home: 408-735-8373 
Mobile: 408-313-3682 
FAX: 408-735-7866 
We cannot do great things, only small things with great love.  -- Mother
Teresa 

 

Kathryn Lewis Parmentier 
465 Pin Oak Drive 
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 
Home: 408-735-8373 
Mobile: 408-313-3682 
FAX: 408-735-7866 
We cannot do great things, only small things with great love.  -- Mother
Teresa