Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] il papa's last rites?

From: Mike Lorrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:21:33 -0800 (PST)

--- spike <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I heard they have given the pope his last rites.  But
> what if he had been signed up for cryonics?  Would he
> have been given second-to-last rites?  Or would he have
> just waived his rites?

A better question: has he confessed his last ronges?

Mike Lorrey
Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806) 
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second dates. 
http://personals.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Adrian Tymes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:10:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Damien Broderick <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This raises a very interesting prospect. Once the Pope's brain
> activity has 
> halted, it is to be hoped that his feeding tube remains in place, and
> that 
> every miracle of medical science is used -- as God is now known to
> have 
> intended -- to keep his mindless body ticking over. Catholics would
> then be 
> in an interesting situation: an unreplaceable supreme Pontiff whose
> silence 
> is infallible and indefinitely protracted.

And they would truly hear the voice of God: silence.

I can't help but wonder - Christianity claims there is a better world
beyond death for the good and faithful.  Yet, when it comes time for
said good and faithful to move on to that world - an occasion that
should be cause for celebration - the overwhelming feeling is of
remorse, and prayer that death be delayed yet longer.  Is there a word
that better describes this than "hypocrisy"?
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: "John K Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:15:18 -0400

The New York Times doesn't have many banner headlines but it had one today,
it basically told us that the Pope was still dead. It's puzzling because
everybody knows the man experienced a total system crash 2 days ago and was
EXTREAMLY stable, yet we have that headline. Now if there were a change in
the Pope's condition.... THAT would deserve a headline.

Not that I'm glad the man died, somebody is going to be Pope, who better
that a 84 year old man with Parkinson's disease who doesn't look like he
knows where he is half the time.  Let's hope the new Pope carries on the
noble work the old Pope was so good at, of flying the church into the
ground. But there is always room for improvement, it is not enough to
condemn The Da Vinci Code and pre marital sex, I want him to condemn Harry
Potter and post marital sex too. It is not enough that priests be virgins,
or say they are, I want the new Pope to insist they be eunuchs.

John K Clark