Subject: March Core Java Technologies Newsletter

From: "SDN Editorial Staff" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 2005 15:23:35 -0800

Welcome to the Core Java Technologies Newsletter. Here
you'll find links to the latest products, tools, resources,
and events relating to development with the Java 2 Platform,
Standard Edition (J2SE).

- You can view this issue of the newsletter on the web at:
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716645
  
- You'll find the Core Java Technologies Newsletter archives at:
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716656
  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contents:
  
  Early Access
  * Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 5.0_03 Tiger Update 3 Early Access
    (February 7, 2005)
  * Java Accessibility Helper 0.7 Early Access
    (March 3, 2005) 
  * Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition Tiger Update 3 Early Access
    (March 11, 2005) 

  Product and Technology Releases
  * Jini Technology Starter Kit v2.0.1 
    (January 2005)
  * NetBeans IDE 4.1 (Beta Release)
    (February 25, 2005)
  * JSR 206 Java API for XML Processing (JAXP) 1.3 Final Release
    (March 11, 2005)

  Resources
  * Technical Articles
    - Using Annotations to add Validity Constraints to JavaBeans
      Properties
    - Java Standards: The Mandate for Interoperability and
      Compatibility

  * Tech Tips
    - Generics 
    - JMX, JConsole, and You
    
  * Chats
    - Java Plug-In Technology
    - Getting High Performance from Your Desktop Client
    - Upcoming Chats
    
  * Books
    - Head First Java, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly Media, Inc.)
    
  * Newsletters
    - Java Technology Fundamentals
    - Sun Developer Network Program News

  Events
  - Sun Tech Days 
  - Developer Webinar: 
    How to use UML with Sun Java Studio Enterprise
  - Register for the Sun Software Product User Group Meetings!
  - Experience the Power of Java
  - Third Annual Duke's Choice Awards Contest
  
  Industry News & Announcements
  - What's Hot? Sun's New Student Developer Community
    What's Not? The Digital Divide
  - Telefónica Selects Sun's Java Enterprise System 
    to Monetize Next Generation Services and Applications 
    in 3g Environments
  - JavaOne Survey
  - Java Community Process (JCP) Program Round Table
  - java.com
  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Early Access. The following J2SE products and technologies were
made available through the Early Access Release Program this
month.

* Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 5.0_03 Tiger Update 3 Early Access
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716663

* Java Accessibility Helper 0.7 Early Access
  Aids developers in making their JFC-based programs accessible to
  users with disabilities.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716670
  
* Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition Tiger Update 3 Early Access
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716688
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Product and Technology Releases. The following J2SE products and 
technologies were recently released.

* Jini Technology Starter Kit v2.0.1 
  Contains fixes for four security issues that exist in the v2.0, 
  v2.0_001, and v2.0_002 releases of the Jini Technology Starter 
  Kit.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716695
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716702

* NetBeans IDE 4.1 (Beta Release)
  This release has over 15 new modules for developing J2EE 1.4 
  applications and is built on NetBeans 4.0 technology. Users
  can develop programs for J2SE, J2ME, and now J2EE EJBs and 
  Web Services. New in the beta release is the Eclipse Project
  Import Module.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716722
  
* JSR 206 Java API for XML Processing (JAXP) 1.3 Final Release
  JAXP 1.3 is the next version of JAXP, an implementation-
  independent portable API for processing XML with Java.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716728

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Resources: Learn more about and get "hands-on" training for
J2SE technologies through the following resources. 

Technical Articles
* Using Annotations to add Validity Constraints to JavaBeans
  Properties
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716736

* Java Standards: The Mandate for Interoperability and
  Compatibility by the META Group (PDF)
  The promise of Java technology is encapsulated in its early
  catch phrase "Write Once, Run Anywhere." In this META Group
  Research Whitepaper, the role of the Java Community Process (JCP)
  Program is explored and how such a process delivers platform
  independence and interoperability to the users of Java
  technology.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716743

Tech Tips
* Generics
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716751
* JMX, JConsole, and You
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716757

Chats
* Java Plug-In Technology
  Got a question about Java Plug-In technology, the technology
  that connects popular browsers such as Internet Explorer,
  Mozilla, and Firefox to the Java Platform? Get answers on 
  April 12th in this chat with three key members of the Java
  Plug-In technology team at Sun: Dennis Gu, Calvin Cheung,
  and Danielle Pham.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716763

* Getting High Performance from Your Desktop Client
  On February 15, 2005, Scott Violet and Chet Haase hosted an
  online chat on desktop performance. Topics included SwingWorker,
  Longhorn, grey rectangles and more. A transcript is available.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716770

Books
  JavaServer Faces in Action, Chapter 8
  Shows how to build a static Login page with JavaServer Faces and
  JSP technology by importing the proper tag libraries, and adding
  HtmlGraphicImage and HtmlOutputText components.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716782

Newsletters
* Java Technology Fundamentals
  Learn how to create tool tips, use basic tools, understand code
  conventions, and get the latest Tiger Tips. 
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716790

* Sun Developer Network Program News
  Providing news and information of value to SDN users including
  product announcements, user group meetings, early access
  programs and more.
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716797

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Events

* Register for the Sun Software Product User Group Meetings!
  Our world-wide meetings offer members the chance to hear 
  about best practices from fellow developers, give input for 
  future product enhancements to and hear the latest roadmap 
  from the Product Team.

  We have meetings planned in the following regions for the 
  following products:

  - New York, Sun Office, April 6, 2005
    Identity Management
    Sign ups coming soon, please watch the product links
    on: http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716804

  - Munich, Sun Office, April 27, 2005
    Communications and Collaboration
  - Munich, Sun Office, April 28, 2005
    Identity Management
  - Bangalore, Sun Office, May 18, 2005
    Portal Server and Sun Java Tools
    
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716812

  General Program Information and Meeting Agendas: 
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716804
  For further questions please contact [email-masked]

* Experience the Power of Java
  Register now for the 2005 JavaOne conference, June 27 - 30, 
  at Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA. 
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716819 

* Third Annual Duke's Choice Awards Contest 
  Submit your Java-technology based applications and services.
  Winners are selected by James Gosling, and the Java technology 
  leadership team, and announced at JavaOne. Enter by 
  April 30, 2005. 
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716826 
  
*  Sun Tech Days, São Paulo, Brazil 
   Join us for Sun Tech Days, our annual Developer Conference on
   April 5-6, 2005. You'll experience a unique global gathering of
   industry leaders representing cutting-edge systems such as
   Java Web Services, Java 2 Enterprise Edition and the hottest
   software in between.

   Hotél Gran Meliá WTC São Paulo
   Tf. (+55) 11 30558000
   Av. Das Nações Unidas, 12559
   Brookin Novo, São Paulo, Brazil

   Details and Registration information can be found at:
   http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716834

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Subscribe and Unsubscribe:
To subscribe to this and other Sun newsletters, visit
http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716841
To unsubscribe, go to 
http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716847
You may also unsubscribe using our one-click facility. To completely
unsubscribe from this newsletter, click this link: 
http://subscriptions.sun.com/unsubscribe?82659389523588409

Please read our Licensing, Terms of Use, and Privacy policies:
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716859
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716866
  http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716874
  Sun respects your online time and privacy. You have received this
  based on your email preferences. If you would prefer not to 
  receive this information, please follow the steps at the top
  of this message to unsubscribe. 

* Comments and How To Contact Us:
  There are two ways to send your feedback about this Newsletter:
  - For technical assistance about Newsletter delivery, broken 
    links, or subscribe/unsubscribe help, fill out the web form:
    http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716881
  - Write to us at: SDN Editorial Team, MS: UMPK18-113,
    18 Network Circle, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA

Copyright 1994 - 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights
reserved. 4150 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA. This
document is protected by copyright. For more information, see:
http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716887

Trademark Information: http://enews.sun.com/CTServlet?id=82659389523588409:1112051716894
Java, J2EE, J2SE, J2ME, and all Java-based marks are trademarks
or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the
United States and other countries.

To use our one-click unsubscribe facility, select the following URL:
http://subscriptions.sun.com/unsubscribe?82659389523588409