Subject: Nature Biotechnology Contents: April 2005 Volume 23 pp. 395 - 506

From: "Nature Biotechnology"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:03:38 -0400 (EDT)

| | NATURE.COM | | [email-masked] | | NATUREJOBS | | NATUREEVENTS | | ABOUT NPG |

|

SEARCH | | |

April 2005, Volume 23 No 4

| In This Issue

| Editorial

| News: In Brief | Data Page | News Feature

| Opinion and Comment: Correspondence | Commentary | Investor's Lab | Book Review

| Feature

| News and Views

| Research: Perspective | Article | Letters | Errata | Corrigenda

| Resources: Patents | New on the Market

| Computational Biology: Commentary

| Bioentrepreneur: Bioenews | Building a business

| Naturejobs: Careers and Recruitment | People

ADVERTISEMENT

This alert is supported by Pepscan Systems, the epitope expert

STRUGGLING TO IDENTIFY YOUR EPITOPE?

Pepscan Systems has advanced technologies to map all kinds of antibody epitopes.
Linear, conformational or discontinuous, for each complexity we have a solution.

Once identified, we can reconstruct the epitope to make them biologically active.

Benefit from our all-in-one service on the basis of no-cure no-pay.

Pepscan Systems can map all antibody epitopes!!

Postdoctoral Scientist Mammalian Cell Culture Technology

The Organisation
DSM Biologics is one of the leading contract manufacturers of active biopharmaceutical ingredients such as recombinant proteins, and monoclonal antibodies.
Apply online at www.dsm.com/en_US/html/career/RS_Vacancies.htm

A premiere journal - for select life scientists and chemists

Would you like to keep abreast of the latest significant advances taking shape within chemistry and the life sciences? Nature Methods can give you that and more with our high impact primary research papers, detailed analysis of the next wave of laboratory techniques and 24/7/365 full-text access to Nature Methods online. Apply today at:
www.sunbeltfs.com/forms/select.asp?pid=NH&arq=subscribe&addurl=eid=E50108

In This Issue

Top

PDF

Editorial

Top

Reburnishing Golden Rice p395

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-395

Full Text | PDF

News

Top

Tysabri raises alarm bells on drug class pp397 - 398

Cormac Sheridan

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-397

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Peptide leads new class of chronic pain drugs p399

Ken Garber

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-399

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Syrrx acquisition signals maturation of structure-based discovery p400

Mark Ratner

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-400

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Australian biotech suffers growing pains pp401 - 402

Graeme O'Neill

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-401

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Monsanto branches out into fruits and vegetables p403

Stephan Herrera

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-403

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

In Brief

News In Brief pp405 - 406

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-405

Full Text | PDF

Profile: Lester Crawford p407

Jeffrey L. Fox

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-407

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Data Page

Trends in the biotech literature p407

Stacy Lawrence

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-408

Full Text | PDF

News Feature

New apoptosis drugs face critical test pp409 - 411

Ken Garber

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-409

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Opinion and Comment

Top

Correspondence

Regulatory frameworks in developing countries p413

Colin Longstaff, Craig Thelwell & Colin Whitton

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-413a

Full Text | PDF

Regulatory frameworks in developing countries pp413 - 414

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-413b

Full Text | PDF

Refuges in India and delayed resistance to Bt crops p414

Bruce Tabashnik

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-414

Full Text | PDF

Commentary

The new fundamentalism pp415 - 416

Dick Taverne

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-415

Full Text | PDF

Biotech venture capital[mdash]it's not too late to be early pp417 - 418

Arthur Klausner

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-417

Full Text | PDF

Investor's Lab

Diversify to multiply p419

Tom Jacobs

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-419

Full Text | PDF

Book Review

Creative thinking p421

Reviewed by: Bruce Berman

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-421

Full Text | PDF

Feature

Top

Getting real about valuations in biotech pp423 - 428

Ralph Villiger & Boris Bogdan

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-423

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

News and Views

Top

Golden Rice gets a boost from maize pp429 - 430

Michael A Grusak

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-429

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Tackling mastitis in dairy cows pp430 - 432

Pascal Rainard

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-430

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Eco-friendly insect management pp432 - 433

Ernst A Wimmer

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-432

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Serum of youth? pp434 - 435

Hans-Willem Snoeck

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-434

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Research Highlights p437

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-437

Full Text | PDF

Research

Top

Perspective

Regulating transgenic crops sensibly: lessons from plant breeding, biotechnology and genomics pp439 - 444

Kent J Bradford, Allen Van Deynze, Neal Gutterson, Wayne Parrott & Steven H Strauss

doi: 10.1038/nbt1084

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Article

Genetically enhanced cows resist intramammary Staphylococcus aureus infection pp445 - 451

Robert J Wall, Anne M Powell, Max J Paape, David E Kerr, Douglas D Bannerman, Vernon G Pursel, Kevin D Wells, Neil Talbot & Harold W Hawk

doi: 10.1038/nbt1078

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Letters

A dominant lethal genetic system for autocidal control of the Mediterranean fruitfly pp453 - 456

Peng Gong, Matthew J Epton, Guoliang Fu, Sarah Scaife, Alexandra Hiscox, Kirsty C Condon, George C Condon, Neil I Morrison, David W Kelly, Tarig Dafa'alla, Paul G Coleman & Luke Alphey

doi: 10.1038/nbt1071

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Sequence-dependent stimulation of the mammalian innate immune response by synthetic siRNA pp457 - 462

Adam D Judge, Vandana Sood, Janet R Shaw, Dianne Fang, Kevin McClintock & Ian MacLachlan

doi: 10.1038/nbt1081

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Enrichment and analysis of peptide subsets using fluorous affinity tags and mass spectrometry pp463 - 468

Scott M Brittain, Scott B Ficarro, Ansgar Brock & Eric C Peters

doi: 10.1038/nbt1076

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Infrared spectroscopic imaging for histopathologic recognition pp469 - 474

Daniel C Fernandez, Rohit Bhargava, Stephen M Hewitt & Ira W Levin

doi: 10.1038/nbt1080

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Extracellular secretion of polypeptides using a modified Escherichia coli flagellar secretion apparatus pp475 - 481

Katariina Majander, Lena Anton, Jenni Antikainen, Hannu Lang, Mirko Brummer, Timo K Korhonen & Benita Westerlund-Wikstrom

doi: 10.1038/nbt1077

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Improving the nutritional value of Golden Rice through increased pro-vitamin A content pp482 - 487

Jacqueline A Paine, Catherine A Shipton, Sunandha Chaggar, Rhian M Howells, Mike J Kennedy, Gareth Vernon, Susan Y Wright, Edward Hinchliffe, Jessica L Adams, Aron L Silverstone & Rachel Drake

doi: 10.1038/nbt1082

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Errata

Erratum: Agbio groups join BIO p488

Jeffrey L. Fox

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-488a

Full Text | PDF

Erratum: Chasing biotech, state by state[mdash]winners and losers p488

Ken Howard Wilan

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-488b

Full Text | PDF

Erratum: Clone on the range: what animal biotech brings to the table p488

Alan Dove

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-488c

Full Text | PDF

Corrigenda

Corrigendum: Problems in monitoring horizontal gene transfer in field trials of transgenic plants p488

Jack A. Heinemann & Terje Traavik

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-488d

Full Text | PDF

Resources

Top

Patents

Material transfer agreements: open science vs. proprietary claims pp489 - 491

Victor Rodriguez

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-489

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Patents p492

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-492

Full Text | PDF

New on the Market

Bioinformatics p493

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-493

Full Text | PDF

Computational Biology

Top

Commentary

A Turing-like test for biological modeling pp495 - 496

David Harel

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-495

Full Text | PDF

Bioentrepreneur

Top

Bioenews

Tobacco money reinvested in biotech p497

Myrna E Watanabe

doi: 10.1038/bioent848

PDF

Building a business

Thinking ahead for effective clinical trials pp499 - 501

Faiz Kermani & Catherine Narayan-Dubois

doi: 10.1038/bioent844

PDF

Naturejobs

Top

Careers and Recruitment

Alternative career options in the biomedical industry: the professional science master's degree pp503 - 504

David Finegold

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-503

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

People

People p506

doi: 10.1038/nbt0405-506

Full Text | PDF

Top

Nature Biotechnology - complete archive online!
Nature Biotechnology offers a complete online archive back to volume 1 issue 1, including all issues of Bio/Technology. Search over 7500 articles from over 20 years of research. For full text access, contact your library about a site license to the Nature research journals archive collection. Click here to submit a recommendation online.

www.nature.com/sitelicences/librec/librec.taf?coll=2

ADVERTISEMENT

| |

| | Assistant / Associate / Full Professor | | Medical Sciences|Pathology|Biophysics|Biotechnology|Spectroscopy|Cell Biology| | | University of California | | Sacramento, CA United States |
| | |
| Head / Chair | | | | Imperial College London | | London, United Kingdom
| | |
| Postdoctoral / Research Associate | | Biochemistry|Genetics|Molecular Biology|Cell Biology| | | Institute of Human Genetics | | Montpellier Cedex, France
| | |
| Postdoc / PhD Student Position | | Bioinformatics|Computational Biology|Gene Therapy|Genetics|Medical Sciences| | | University of Bergen | | Bergen, Norway
| | |
| Senior Scientist | | Agriculture|Biotechnology|Drug Discovery|Molecular Biology|Plant Science|Public Health| | | Devgen Pte Ltd | | Singapore, Singapore
| | |
| Technician | | Biochemistry|Biomedical Sciences|Cancer Research / Oncology|Life Sciences|Medical Sciences|Molecular Biology| | | Cardiff University | | Cardiff, United Kingdom
| | |

More Naturejobs

| |
| | | | | |

| |

| |

More Nature Products

More Nature Events

| |

Please note that you need to be a subscriber or site-licence holder to enjoy full-text access to Nature Biotechnology. To purchase a subscription, please visit secure.nature.com/subscribe/nbt

You have been sent this Table of Contents Alert because you have chosen to receive it. You can change your e-mail alert preferences at any time, by modifying your preferences on your current account at:
www.nature.com/nams/svc/myaccount
(You will need to log in to be recognised as a Nature registrant)

To discontinue all email services from the Nature Publishing Group click on the link below:
www.nature.com/mar/sup/index.taf?e=[email-masked]

For further technical assistance, please contact: [email-masked]

For print subscription enquiries, please contact: [email-masked]

For other enquiries, please contact: [email-masked]

Nature Publishing Group's worldwide offices:
London - Paris - Munich - New Delhi - Tokyo - Melbourne
San Diego - San Francisco - Washington - New York - Boston