Subject: [AthofSV] How we know that god prefers vegetarianism . . .

From: "Jim Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:32:11 -1000

I get to listen to a Hare Krishna devotee on the radio, so I get occasional insights into Hindu beliefs and ideas.   This devotee is a follower of the Chris Butler / Science of Identity Foundation Hare Krishna splinter cult, but I think their teachings and ideas are the same as the larger International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) and Hindu teachings in general.

According to my source, god will accept a vegetarian offering, but will reject an offering of "flesh,"  "according to the scriptures."

An Xtian listening to this would hear "scriptures" and think "buybull."  

My source did not identify the "scripture" or cite chapter and verse, but it is Chapter 9, Text 26 in the "Bhagavad Gita, As It Is," the translation of the Bhagavad Gita written by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the founder of ISKCON.

See:  

http://www.asitis.com/9/26.html

---

From: "Mark W. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:10:46 -0800

godless,

We all know the story in Genesis.  God preferred the smell of burning flesh
that Abel (a herder) served up as a sacrifice.  This made Cain (a gardener)
jealous, because all he had to burn was plants - resulting in unhappy
events.  There are many other stories where God likes animals burned as
sacrifice - such as Leviticus 5:5-10 and Leviticus 15:19-30.  In other
buybull stories, God even likes humans to be burned - Genesis 22:2,
Leviticus 21:9, Numbers 11:1, and Judges 11:30-39.

I think that I will have a little roast beef for lunch.

Cheers,
Mark

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jim Bill [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:32 PM
  To: Atheists of SV Yahoo Group
  Subject: [AthofSV] How we know that god prefers vegetarianism . . .

  I get to listen to a Hare Krishna devotee on the radio, so I get
occasional insights into Hindu beliefs and ideas.   This devotee is a
follower of the Chris Butler / Science of Identity Foundation Hare Krishna
splinter cult, but I think their teachings and ideas are the same as the
larger International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) and Hindu
teachings in general.

  According to my source, god will accept a vegetarian offering, but will
reject an offering of "flesh,"  "according to the scriptures."

  My source did not identify the "scripture" or cite chapter and verse, but
it is Chapter 9, Text 26 in the "Bhagavad Gita, As It Is," the translation
of the Bhagavad Gita written by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
Prabhupada, the founder of ISKCON.

  See:

  Date not known - Upcoming DEMONSTRATION on Church/State separation
  Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
  Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - Video: "Natural Atheism" on 60" TV
  Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?

  Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

  If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

  ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
  See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

  Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
  Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text
in any responses that you make.

  If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see
[email-masked]

  To unsubscribe, send an email to:
  [email-masked]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Yahoo! Groups Links

    a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

    b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

    c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.