Subject: [TechRepublic] Centralizing IT

From: "CIO Exchange at TechRepublic.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:40:50 -0800 (PST)

TechRepublic
http://techrepublic.com.com

Presents your 
CIO EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER for March 22, 2005

<---------------Advertisement--------------->

LIVE AUDIOCAST: Understanding and Mitigating the Spyware Threat 
Thursday, March 31, 2005, 2:00 PM EST / 11:00 AM PST 

Pre-register to attend this live audiocast, featuring Webroot 
Software's Richard Stiennon, for an in-depth analysis of spyware 
and the impact it has on user productivity and your business' 
bottom line. 

Find out what you need to know to: 
*  Identify today's most dangerous security risks 
*  Understand the scope of the spyware problem 
*  Calculate the costs associated with spyware removal 
*  Protect IT assets and data 

This event will also feature live Q&A, so pre-register today! 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86854-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

<------------------------------------------->

LIVE EVENT: REPUTATION SYSTEMS AND THE BATTLE FOR THE INBOX

Join Mike Rothman of CipherTrust for a live discussion on 
advancements in reputation system technology and its role in 
securing enterprise e-mail. Pre-register to attend this live 
audiocast and Q&A session on Thursday, March 24th at 
4:00 PM EST/1:00 PM PST.
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86847-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------
 
CENTRALIZING IT 
 
A TechRepublic member wants to know if anyone has gone through an IT 
centralization? What are some good resources (books, websites, etc) on 
implementing this as successfully as possible? What are your opinions 
of centralized vs. decentralized IT? Do you think, as member SAIGMAN 
suggests, that it depends on the reason behind the 
centralization--whether it's done as a precursor to rightsizing or if 
it's done to leverage better vendor deals and standardize the company's 
infrastructure. Drop into this discussion and share your opinion. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86848-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

CHOOSING ISCSI OVER FIBRE CHANNEL: DECIDING FACTORS 
Choosing the right storage solution for your organization starts with a 
thorough review of your storage needs and current infrastructure. Learn 
from the experience of Storage columnist and IT pro, Scott Lowe as he 
takes you through the research and planning stage of a new 
implementation. Look for future articles on vendor selection and 
installation. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86849-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

ORGANIZING FOR SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT 
IT organizations often require restructuring to support company growth, 
increased customer demand, changing business requirements, 
acquisitions, mergers, buyouts, or other industry changes. But what 
factors should be considered when reorganizing IT organizations, 
particularly infrastructures? This in-depth analysis looks at three key 
aspects of restructuring decisions--departmental responsibilities, 
planning orientation, and infrastructure processes. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86850-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------ 
------------------------------------------
 
NEW AT TECHREPUBLIC 
 
DON'T OVERLOOK LICENSING ISSUES WHEN PLANNING FOR DISASTER RECOVERY 
Licensing issues may not be your primary concern when creating a 
disaster recovery plan, but you should do the research now. Make sure 
you know the licensing requirements for the software you depend on in 
the event of a crisis, or you could end up paying the price. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86851-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

DOWNLOAD: CHECKLIST FOR DEPLOYING FILE AND PRINTER SHARES 
Rolling out a new file and print server may sound easy, but to ensure 
the best security and usability, you'll need to take some important 
steps. This checklist will walk you through the deployment process. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86852-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

BACK UP THE IIS METABASE IN WINDOWS 2000 
If you host services such as Web sites with IIS in Windows 2000, you 
should take steps to back up the IIS metabase, which holds 
configuration data for IIS. Learn how to back up the IIS metabase in 
Windows 2000 Server. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86853-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------

White Papers from our partners

Adding Mobile Muscle to your Business (ZDNet)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86856-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

What you need to know before deploying VoIP (ZDNet)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86857-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Operational Efficiency and Customer Satisfaction for 
Mid-sized Business (Remedy)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=86858-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

IDC White Paper--The Tangible Benefits of Blade Clients
(ClearCube Technology)
http://itpapers.techrepublic.com/abstract.aspx?docid=124821&promo=3051 
 
------------------------------------------ 

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE CIO ISSUES NEWSLETTER! 

This newsletter offers targeted information that is essential to 
the C-level manager's success, as well as downloadable tools for
making IT management duties and decisions easier. You'll also
receive HR best practices and leadership tips. Click the link 
below to automatically subscribe!
http://nl.com.com/servlet/one_click_signup?email=[email-masked]&list_id=e125&id=30765961

------------------------------------------ 
 
To unsubscribe from this mailing list: 
http://ct.com.com/click?q=2e-eCQGznKc9w3YL~aut_qs_lTpQNR5BL1mqdRR 

To update your TechRepublic e-mail subscriptions or unsubscribe from  
all TechRepublic e-mail lists: 
http://nl.com.com/acct_mgmt.jsp?brand=techrepublic  

Questions or comments: 
http://techrepublic.com.com/2001-6705-0.html  

Visit TechRepublic 
http://techrepublic.com.com/  

Copyright 2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. 
TechRepublic is a registered trademark of CNET Networks, Inc.
CNET Networks, Inc. 
235 Second Street 
San Francisco, CA 94105 
U.S.A.