Subject: March 2005 Peninsula Stanford Newsletter

From: Tom Maravilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:17:01 -0800

March: wind, madness, ides…Counter these tendencies by attending 
a tsunami benefit, lectures on medicine or the media, or the 
anthropology conference. Or, allow yourself to be swept up in 
Cardinal athletics, Encounter: Merce, or wine tasting. In like a 
lion, out like a lamb…

Go Cardinal! 

Tom Maravilla, '77
Regional Alumni Relations Officer, Bay Area
[email-masked]
(650) 736-1734
http://www.stanfordalumni.org

March 2005 Peninsula Stanford Newsletter
================================================
IN THIS ISSUE

Stanford Events Around the Bay Area
   Women's Basketball Pac-10 Tournament, San Jose
   Sailing at McIntyre Team Race Intersectional, Redwood City
   Speaker Series: Science, Medicine and Public Perception, SF
   Debut of Pacific Riminiscences
   Women's Gymnastics at San Jose State
   Stanford Crew at Redwood Shores Lagoon
   Stanford Baseball at San Jose State
Come Back to Campus
   Nobel Laureates for Tsunami Relief
   Cap and Gown Centennial: Celebrating Stanford Women
   Lecture: "Got a Problem? Blame the Media"
   Speaker Series: Doing Well by Doing Good
   Wine Tasting Series: When is a Six-Pack Not a Six-pack?
   Encounter: Merce at Stanford and Lively Arts
   Environmental Film Series
   Anthropology of the State: The State of Anthropology
   Treasure Market 2005: Reselling Fine Art to Fund New Acquisitions
   Master Calendar of Campus Events
Stanford Alumni News 
   Stanford Book Salon: "The Waste Land"
   Alumni Education: Presenting Alfred Hitchcock
   Stanford Psychology Lectures Online
   Aurora Forum: "America's Jesus"
   Stanford Continuing Studies: Spring Quarter Registration
   Reunion Homecoming 2005: Class Books
   Volunteer Opportunity: Marketing Aide
   Career Development Center: Student Shadow Program
Bay Area Alumni Clubs
   Act Locally: Find a Group Where You Live

================================================
STANFORD EVENTS AROUND THE BAY AREA

Women's Basketball Pac-10 Tournament, San Jose, March 4 – 7
The Cardinal could rule the court in the Pac-10 tournament at 
HP Pavilion in San Jose. Come out and show your support!
For ticket information, visit:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1C00396BB60E7DFE?brand=&artistid=890801&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7
Follow Stanford women’s basketball at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stan-w-baskbl-body.html

Sailing at McIntyre Team Race Intersectional, Redwood City, March 5 & 6
Cheer on the Cardinal as they sail strong! Get a map to 
Stanford's Morrison Boathouse at 300 Cardinal Way at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/c-sail/spec-rel/100303aaa.html
For event and ticket information, call (650) 364-1292.
Follow Stanford sailing at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/c-sail/stan-c-sail-body.html

Speaker Series: Science, Medicine and Public Perception, SF, March 9 
Our health care system, ever more dysfunctional, coupled with a 
rise in fundamentalist religious beliefs and ideologies, often 
associated with an increasing anti-science perception, has led 
to an erosion of the public's trust in medicine as a profession. 
Philip Pizzo, dean of Stanford Medical School, will discuss the 
many issues that cross the boundaries between science, medicine 
and public perception at the Commonwealth Club at noon. 
http://e.stanfordalumni.org/Clubs/sf/events.asp

Debut of Pacific Riminiscences, March 10
Pacific Riminiscences, the latest from Drue Kataoka, '00, and 
whose subject matter is steeped in Stanford history, will be 
unveiled on March 10. Drue's Brush TV crew will be taking sound 
bytes for the episode titled The Stanford Brush. Spago's signature 
hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be served. Proceeds benefit 
The Pacific Art League http://www.pacificartleague.org 
   When: Thursday, March 10, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 
   Where: Spago's Palo Alto, 265 Lytton Avenue, Palo Alto
   Cost: $40 each, or free with signed, numbered print purchase
Get more information or reserve tickets at http://www.drue.net 
or call (415) 819-3783 or email Collin Hathaway, '00, at 
[email-masked].

Women's Gymnastics at San Jose State, March 19
The Cardinal will spar with the Spartans at 7 p.m. in their own 
Spartan Gym. Come out to show your support!
For event and ticket information, call (408) 924-7589 or visit:
http://www.sjsuspartans.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=91
Click here to follow Stanford women's gymnastics:
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/w-gym/stan-w-gym-body.html

Stanford Crew at Redwood Shores Lagoon, March 20, 23, 26
Enjoy sun, water and Cardinal crew at Redwood Shores Lagoon in 
Redwood City at these three events. For directions, visit:
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/c-crew/spec-rel/032603aaa.html
Follow Stanford crew at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/c-crew/stan-c-crew-body.html

Stanford Baseball at San Jose State, March 22
The nationally ranked Cardinal will face the Spartans at 7 p.m. 
at Municipal Stadium in San Jose. Support your Cardinal and the 
American pastime. For event and ticket information, call 
(408) 924-7589 or visit:
http://www.sjsuspartans.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=91
Follow Stanford baseball at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/stan-m-basebl-body.html

================================================
COME BACK TO CAMPUS

Nobel Laureates for Tsunami Relief, March 1
Hear some of Stanford's most dazzling minds. Nobel laureates 
Kenneth Arrow (economics '72), Martin Perl (physics '95), 
William Sharpe (economics '90) and Richard Taylor (physics '90) 
speak on "Expanding the Frontiers of Science" to benefit Save 
the Children. The event, organized by the Stanford Students for 
Relief (SSR), will be held from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in Kresge 
Auditorium. Cost is $35 general admission, $10 for students. 
Learn more and purchase tickets at
http://donations.stanford.edu

Cap and Gown Centennial: Celebrating Stanford Women, March 5
Celebrate the centennial of Cap and Gown, Stanford's honor 
society for women. Hear interesting stories, discuss lessons 
learned and browse special historical displays at the Arrillaga 
Alumni Center from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Advance registration 
required. For details, contact Dara Hogue, '89, at (925) 200-0227.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/stanfordclub/capandgown/centennial.html

Lecture: "Got a Problem? Blame the Media," March 9
Washington Post staff writer and former White House correspondent 
Dana Milbank will examine the paradoxical nature of the media. 
Wine and cheese reception will follow. Sponsored by Hoover
Institution Media Fellows and Stanford Alumni Association.
When: Wednesday, March 9, 4-6 p.m.
Where: Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regions/event_reader.html?content_instance_id=114412

Speaker Series: Doing Well by Doing Good, March 9
Certified financial planner Joan Fuetsch, MA '68, will discuss 
how to invest responsibly to effect social and environmental 
change and simultaneously improve one's financial status. No 
need to choose between core values and rate of return. Do well 
by doing good! 
http://www.stanfordwomen.org/events.html

Wine Tasting Series: When is a Six-Pack Not a Six-pack? March 10
Cardinal Young Alumni invites you to the first of a series of 
three wine tastings. Sample from and learn useful information 
about 6 distinct varietals and regions from Champagne to pinot 
noir to port. With tips like which reds you can really drink with
fish, to knowing how to spot the hidden value on a wine list, 
you'll be on your way to exploring the daunting world of wine. 
   Where: Fisher Conference Center, Arillaga Alumni Center
   When: Thursday, March 10, 7-9 p.m.
   Cost: $15 per person
For details contact Martin Reyes, '99, at [email-masked] 
or register online at 
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regions/event_reader.html?content_instance_id=114457

Encounter: Merce at Stanford and Lively Arts, March 11, 12
Stanford's month-long interdisciplinary exploration through the 
arts, focusing on the life and art of Merce Cunningham, legendary 
choreographer, dance innovator, and artistic thinker, culminates 
with two evenings of performance by the Merce Cunningham Dance 
Company. Purchase tickets for the Lively Arts performances at 
http://livelyarts.stanford.edu
For a detailed calendar of all Cunningham events see 
http://encountermerce.stanford.edu 

Environmental Film Series
The Stanford Institute for the Environment invites you to preview 
a four-part film series, "Strange Days on Planet Earth," hosted by 
Ed Norton. Discuss the subject and possible solutions with 
distinguished professors and film producers following each 
episode. March 2 at Skilling Auditorium in Durand, March 9 in 
Bishop Auditorium, March 15 in the Law School lounge and March 29 
at the Clark Center, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Get details at
http://environment.stanford.edu/events/index.html 
http://www.pbs.org/strangedays

Anthropology of the State: The State of Anthropology, April 8 & 9
Please join us at the Arrillaga Alumni Center for the Stanford 
Graduate Student Conference in Cultural and Social Anthropology. 
Alumni and parents are invited back to explore how, through 
interdisciplinary research conducted at the nexus of anthropology 
and cultural studies, an anthropological approach can contribute 
innovative ways of conceptualizing power. 
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/anthroCASA/conference

Treasure Market 2005: Reselling Fine Art to Fund New Acquisitions, April 29 - May 1
This popular biennial resale event at the Cantor Arts Center 
features antiques, china, collectible books, linens, handmade 
rugs, crystal, silver, furs and jewelry, and probably a kitchen 
sink donated by Stanford alumni, local residents and collectors. 
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation if you are 
cleaning out your personal collection. To make reservations, 
call (650) 724-3600. For complete Treasure Market 2005 
information, visit 
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/ccva/tm2005.html

Master Calendar of Campus Events
Browse the master calendar of events happening on campus. Find 
out about Lively Arts and other performances, the Cantor Arts 
Center, conferences and speakers. Get it all at 
http://events.stanford.edu

================================================
STANFORD ALUMNI NEWS

Stanford Book Salon: "The Waste Land"
Join us today for March's book selection, "The Waste Land" by 
T.S. Eliot. This virtual book club is free and open to alumni
and friends. The online discussion begins March 1.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/alumnied/stanfordreads/booksalonreader.html?content_instance_id=112812
For more information about the Salon, visit:
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/alumnied/stanfordreads/booksalon.html

Alumni Education: Presenting Alfred Hitchcock
Are you baffled each year by the films honored with Academy 
Awards? So was Alfred Hitchcock, who, curiously, never won an 
Oscar. Learn more about the work of this filmic genius in this 
AllLearn course, taught by Yale film professor Brigitte Peucker. 
http://www.alllearn.org/email/index.jsp?T=stan0305&C=295
Learn more about this and other online courses. 
http://www.alllearn.org/email/index.jsp?T=stan0305

Stanford Psychology Lectures Online
Through a partnership with Vodium.com, we are pleased to offer 
access to several online lectures presented by faculty from the 
Psychology Department. These state-of-the-art presentations 
feature audio, video and searchable scrolling transcripts that 
follow the lecture delivery. You control the learning experience. 
Featured faculty include Laura Carstensen, Claude Steele and 
Philip Zimbardo. Check them out and send your comments to 
[email-masked]
http://www.vodium.com/mediapodlibrary/index.asp?library=stanford_psychology

Aurora Forum: "America's Jesus," March 3
Join Stanford professor Thomas Sheehan and other invited faculty 
in Kresge Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. for a lively conversation on 
Jesus' role in the course of American history. This event is 
free and open to the public. Doors open at 6 p.m. and seating 
is limited. For more information, call (650) 725-5633.
http://auroraforum.org/events/jesus.asp

Stanford Continuing Studies: Spring Quarter Registration 
Stanford Continuing Studies offers over 100 courses and special 
events this spring. Registration is open and courses begin 
Monday, March 28. For more information about Stanford 
Continuing Studies, visit http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu

Reunion Homecoming 2005: Class Books 
Every Stanford alum in the classes of '55 to '00 celebrating a 
reunion this fall will receive a Class Book, as a gift from the 
Stanford Alumni Association, each with hundreds of personally 
authored pages. The books are a great way to catch up with 
Stanford friends and see where life has taken them since leaving 
the Farm. Whether it's your 5th or 50th reunion, submit your 
page today. Your Class Book won't be complete without you. 
Click here for details and to download a blank Class Book page.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/reunions/rh05classbooks.html

Volunteer Opportunity: Marketing Aide
Do you have a creative mind and a knack for getting the word out? 
Share your talent by volunteering on the Stanford Medical 
School's Blood Team to market this critical program.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1160

Career Development Center: Student Shadow Program
The Shadow Program, run by the Career Development Center,
connects current Stanford students interested in a particular
career with professionals working in that field. If you would be
willing to share your work experiences and have interested
students visit your workplace, visit the Shadow Program website:
http://cardinalcareers.stanford.edu/shadow
For more information, contact Kevin Anderson at
[email-masked]

================================================
BAY AREA ALUMNI CLUBS

Act Locally: Find a Group Where You Live
In addition to the events listed above, other Bay Area alumni 
clubs regularly sponsor events. Stanford clubs are run by alumni 
and parent volunteers and help build the Stanford community 
where you live. Join, RSVP for an event or get more information 
at http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regions/bay.html

================================================
ABOUT THE BAY AREA STANFORD NEWSLETTER
================================================
This newsletter was prepared by Tom Maravilla, '77, and the
Stanford Alumni Association. It is issued every month via e-mail.
Please send any correspondence to [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to [email-masked]

Do we have your most recent contact information? Update it by clicking on this link: 
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/home/main?page=up&pgAid=0292&rtaCode=10358&rtaTcode=3987&eid=30697376030

If you received this in error, or if you'd rather not receive further emails of this kind, you can unsubscribe by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/cmgen/service/maillistu?m=R37&eid=30697376030&rtaCode=10358&pgAid=0292&rtaTcode=3986

If you are encountering difficulties with the above email, contact Customer Service. You may also email [email-masked] or call toll free, 1-866-543-0243 (International: 650-724-0627).

Contact Customer Service by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/feedback/Service/getForm?url=SMfooter&pcode=265