Subject: HUM-MOLGEN News Alert - March 22, 2005

From: FS Zollmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:20:39 +0100

___________________________________________________________________________

3rd Annual G Protein Couples Receptors Event
26th - 29th April 2005, Amsterdam

http://hum-molgen.org/cgi-bin/banner1/ads.pl?banner=2005-iir1
___________________________________________________________________________

INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION FORUM IN HUMAN MOLECULAR GENETICS
HUM-MOLGEN News Alert - March 22, 2005 - http://hum-molgen.org

Genetic News
by T.M. D'Souza, J. Mill, R. Nemade, F.S. Zollmann
http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen

- Call for Assistant News Editors
   Join our editorial team
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/04-2003/msg01.html

- Visualizing Alzheimer Disease In The Living Brain
   Japanese scientists describe a new technique for seeing amyloid
   plaques in living brains using commonly available brain-scanning
   technology, an important step toward developing an early diagnostic
   test for this devastating disease.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg29.html

- RNAi Meets ALS
   Two reports show that RNA interference might have therapeutic effects
   against amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg28.html

- Predicting Stroke Risk In Sickle Cell Anemia
   Study provides a predictive model that can identify sickle cell anemia
   (SCA) patients at risk of stroke with greater accuracy and faster than
   current methods allow, which may be useful as a prognostic test.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg27.html

- Wnt Signals Two Ways To A Healthy Gut
   The same signal that ensures that there are cells available to keep
   your intestine replenished also controls a cell type that is required
   to defend against bacterial infection.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg26.html

- Tumour Warning In Blood Explained
   Italian researchers have established a genetic mechanism for the
   long-sought-after link between cancer and blood clotting disorders.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg25.html

- X Makes Its Mark
   Genetic secrets of one of the most intriguing of human chromosomes:
   the X chromosome revealed.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg24.html

- Vital Fertilization Factor Found
   Researchers have, for the first time, identified a protein on sperm
   that is essential for fusion with eggs during fertilization.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg23.html

- Hypermethylation of the RELN Gene May Play a Role in
   Schizophrenia
   Epigenetic factors may explain the reduced expression of Reelin
   observed in the brains of schizophrenic patients.
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg22.html

- Studies Expand Understanding of X Chromosome
   NIH-Supported Research Sheds New Light on the Role of Sex Chromosomes
   in Health and Disease
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg21.html

- Developments in Lung Cancer Treatment
   Bevacizumab Combined With Chemotherapy Prolongs Survival for Some
   Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg20.html

- Serotonin Transporter Gene Associated With Alcohol Consumption In
   Social Drinkers
   Short allele of the 5HTT gene is correlated with increased alcohol
   intake
   http://hum-molgen.org/NewsGen/03-2005/msg19.html

- Contact Genetic News editors
   [email-masked]

DIAGnostics - Clinical Research (professional requests)
http://hum-molgen.org/clinical-research/

- Post diagnostic request / call for collaboration
   http://hum-molgen.org/diagnostic-posting or
   contact [email-masked]

Literature
http://hum-molgen.org/literature/

- FDA. 2004. Innovation/Stagnation: Challenge and Opportunity on the
   Critical Path to New Medical Products
   FDA released a report addressing the recent slowdown in innovative
   medical therapies submitted to the FDA for approval
   http://hum-molgen.org/literature/03-2005/msg01.html

Biotechnical requests and sources
http://hum-molgen.org/biotechnology

Biomedical Positions
http://hum-molgen.org/positions/

- Biochemistry / Immunology: POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW
   University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, United States of
   America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2557.html

- Biochemistry / Immunology: POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCHER OR RESEARCH
   ASSOCIATE
   University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Erlangen, D-91054, Germany
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2571.html

- Cell and Molecular Biology / Anatomy: Post-Doctoral Fellow in
   molecular/cell Biology
   Toronto Western Research Institute, Toronto,ON, M5T 2S8, Canada
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2570.html

- Genetics: POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW
   University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, United States of
   America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2558.html

- Genetics: PhD student
   UMC Utrecht, Utrecht, 3584 EA, Netherlands
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/predoctoral/0530.html

- Genetics: Asst. Director, Neurogenetics Lab
   University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington,
   98195, United States of America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/assistant/0171.html

- Medical Research (others): Research Teaching Specialist III (Grant
   Funded)
   UMDNJ, PISCATAWAY, 08854, USA
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/academic_positions/0199.html

- Medical Research (others): Data Management Project Manager, 290426
   ICON Clinical Research, Inc., North Wales, 19436, USA
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/non_academic_positions/1655.html

- Medical Research (others): RFI Writer/Manager, Scientific
   Communications, North Wales, PA 290427
   ICON Clinical Research, Inc., North Wales, 19436, USA
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/non_academic_positions/1657.html

- Medical Research (others): Sr. Scientist Materials Product Development
   Clorox Company, PLEASANTON, 94566
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/non_academic_positions/1656.html

- Neurology / Neuroscience: POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW
   University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, United States of
   America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2556.html

- Neurology / Neuroscience: POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCHER OR RESEARCH
   ASSOCIATE
   University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Erlangen, D-91054, Germany
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2572.html

- Neurology / Neuroscience: RESEARCH ASSOCIATE/ASST. DIRECTOR,
   NEUROGENETICS LAB
   University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, United States of
   America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/postdocs/2569.html

- Others: 12 Ph. D. Studentships
   Max Planck Institut for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, 50829,
   Germany
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/predoctoral/0531.html

- Others: Production Chemist (I, II, III)
   Work Wonders Staffing, LLC, Cave Creek, 85331, United States of
   America
   http://hum-molgen.org/positions/non_academic_positions/1658.html

- Write a position announcement (free)
   1) Set up account: http://hum-molgen.de/cgi-bin/positions.pl?register
   2) Post position(s): http://hum-molgen.de/cgi-bin/positions.pl?login

Events in bioscience and medicine
http://hum-molgen.org/meetings/

- Post event
   http://hum-molgen.de/cgi-bin/meetings.pl?login

Registry of Biomedical Companies (965 active entries)
http://hum-molgen.org/companies/

Mailing List Administration (Join or leave the list)
http://hum-molgen.org/subscribe-na/

Feedback
contact [email-masked]

Advertise at HUM-MOLGEN
contact FS Zollmann ([email-masked])

___________________________________________________________________________

3rd Annual G Protein Couples Receptors Event
26th - 29th April 2005, Amsterdam

http://hum-molgen.org/cgi-bin/banner1/ads.pl?banner=2005-iir1
___________________________________________________________________________

-- 
| INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION FORUM IN HUMAN MOLECULAR GENETICS
| HUM-MOLGEN - http://hum-molgen.org
| (C) 1994-2005