Subject: Today's Headlines: Data Is Lacking on Iran's Arms, U.S. Panel Says

From: NYTimes.com <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:57:07 -0500

TODAY'S HEADLINES
The New York Times on the Web
Wednesday, March 9, 2005
Compiled 2 AM ET

----------------------------------------
For news updated throughout the day, visit www.nytimes.com
----------------------------------------

- TOP STORIES -

Data Is Lacking on Iran's Arms, U.S. Panel Says
By DOUGLAS JEHL  and ERIC SCHMITT
A report due this month will describe U.S. intelligence on
Iran's weapons programs as inadequate to allow firm
judgments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/09weapons.html?th

..................

Bankruptcy Bill Set for Passage; Victory for Bush
By STEPHEN LABATON
The bill would disqualify many families from taking
advantage of the more generous provisions of the current
bankruptcy code.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/business/09bankruptcy.html?th

..................

NEWS ANALYSIS
For Bush, No Boasts, but a Taste of Vindication
By TODD S. PURDUM
President Bush is feeling the glow of the recent flurry of
impulses toward democracy across the Middle East.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/middleeast/09assess.html?th

..................

Go to NYTIMES.com Homepage
http://www.nytimes.com

----------------------------------------

- QUOTATION OF THE DAY -

"We're here to defend our liberty and our true sovereignty, the sovereignty of the resistance. The opposition wants to open the door to the Americans and to foreign intervention. We will stop them."
- AHMAD MOUSSA, a student, at a Hezbollah rally supporting the Syrian
presence in Lebanon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/09lebanon.html?th

..................

- DINING & WINE -
Wines of The Times: Priorats
The Dining section's wine panel found in Priorat, Spain, a region defined by power, nuance and paradox. With an interactive version of the tasting.
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/dining/20050309_TASTING_FEATURE/double.html?th

------------ ADVERTISEMENT -------------

Join Ameritrade today. 
Get 30 free trades now. 
Plus, $10.99 flat rate 
Internet equity pricing. 
Also visit our new Web site, 
with 21st century tools. 

http://ads.nyt.com/th.ad/th-2005ameritrade10-12334160/ameritrade021605/?_RM_REDIR_=http://clk.atdmt.com/OGI/go/nwyrkatd0050000006ogi/direct/01/

----------------------------------------

- INTERNATIONAL -

Pro-Syria Party in Beirut Holds a Huge Protest
By HASSAN M. FATTAH
The enormous crowd exposed fault lines of class and
ideology in the struggle over the withdrawal of Syrian
forces from Lebanon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/09lebanon.html?th

..................

Russians Kill Chechen Separatist Leader in His Hide-Out
By STEVEN LEE MYERS
The killing of the leader of Chechnya's separatists gave
the Kremlin a rare victory in a war that has spawned a wave
of terrorist attacks across Russia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/europe/09chechnya.html?th

..................

Kosovo Chief Surrendering to Hague Tribunal
By MARLISE SIMONS
The U.N. war crimes tribunal indicted Ramush Haradinaj for
actions as a commander fighting Serbians in the 1998-99 war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/europe/09kosovo.html?th

..................

More International News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/world/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

- NATIONAL -

Trial Starts in Nation's Deadliest Human Smuggling Case
By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
The driver of the sealed truck that carried 19 illegal
immigrants to grisly deaths nearly two years ago in South
Texas went on trial for his life Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/national/09trucker.html?th

..................

Jackson's Lawyer Disputes Testimony of Accuser's Brother
By NICK MADIGAN
The boy, 14, admitted to the defense lawyer that he had
given conflicting accounts in previous statements to a
psychologist, investigators and a grand jury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/national/09jackson.html?th

..................

Drug to Fight Cholesterol Is Promising in High Doses
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Although some patients developed liver problems that forced
them to stop taking the medication, researchers said, the
benefits of the treatment outweighed the risks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/politics/09heart.html?th

..................

More National News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

The Academy loved these movies enough to name each
one Best Picture.  What did the original New York
Times movie reviews have to say about these Oscar
winning films?  
Go to the Best Pictures review archive:

http://ads.nyt.com/th.ad/th-2005default-position7/academyawards_text/?_RM_REDIR_=http://www.nytimes.com/ref/movies/oscars/bestpictures.html

----------------------------------------

- BUSINESS -

STOCKS & BONDS
Surging Prices for Commodities Reflect Global Growth
By JONATHAN FUERBRINGER
The prices of oil and other commodities are nearing record
highs, raising inflation fears. But the surge has a bright
side: it reflects a pickup in global economic growth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/business/09place.html?th

..................

Fringes vs. Basics in Silicon Valley
By MATT RICHTEL
Electronic Arts plans to announce this week that it will
begin  paying overtime to some workers. Those workers would
no longer be eligible for options or bonuses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/technology/09games.html?th

..................

Doctors' Journal Says Computing Is No Panacea
By STEVE LOHR
Recent research casts doubt on the drive by the Bush
administration and many health experts to move the nation's
health care records quickly into the computer age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/technology/09compute.html?th

..................

More Business News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/business/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

- SPORTS -

Grass Is Back, Turf Is Dying, Baseball Lives
By PAT BORZI
For the first time in four decades, the National League is
free of plastic grass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/sports/baseball/09grass.html?th

..................

BIG EAST WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT
UConn Finds the Straightaway and Floors It
By JERE LONGMAN
A high-octane start propelled third-seeded UConn to the
checkered flag with a 67-51 victory over top-seeded Rutgers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09east.html?th

..................

COLLEGE BASKETBALL
10 Minutes Can Last a Lifetime
By DAVE CALDWELL
A close call on a plane flight in January has brought the
Villanova men's basketball team even closer together.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09villanova.html?th

..................

More Sports News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

- ARTS -

New Gag for Leno: Keeping Mouth Shut
By JACQUES STEINBERG
Jay Leno has chosen to make light of his situation as a
potential witness in Michael  Jackson's trial by handing
off related jokes in his monologue to other comedians.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/arts/television/09leno.html?th

..................

The Definition of 'Phat': Big Band With Young Fans
By MIREYA NAVARRO
Contemporary big band jazz groups like Big Phat Band have
found a market among teenagers, particularly those in
school and college music programs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/arts/music/09phat.html?th

..................

Wrecking Ball Dashes Hopes for a Lapidus Work
By ROBIN POGREBIN
Preservation advocates hoping to save a building by Morris
Lapidus at Union Square were too late to save its tower,
which was demolished on Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/arts/design/09mode.html?th

..................

More Arts News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

========================================

Receive 50% Off Home Delivery of The New York Times Newspaper. Click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/headlinestext.html

========================================

- DINING & WINE -

Mumbai to Midtown, Chaat Hits the Spot
By JULIA MOSKIN
Chaat, India's varied and delicious national snacks, are
finally emerging in New York City.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/dining/09chat.html?th

..................

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
New York Menus: Read 'Em and Weep
By FRANK BRUNI
The five scariest words that a New York diner can hear are:
"Let me explain the menu."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/dining/09menu.html?th

..................

A Recipe for a Second Chance
By GINIA BELLAFANTE
At the Fortune Society, a New York advocacy group, former
prisoners can learn to cook for their families.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/dining/09crim.html?th

..................

More Dining & Wine News
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

- EDITORIALS -

TODAY'S EDITORIALS
The World According to Bolton
The track record of John Bolton, President Bush's nominee
as our voice in the United Nations, won't win him any charm
points with the rest of the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09wed1.html?th

..................

Terror Suspects' Right to Bear Arms
Thanks to gun control loopholes, dozens of terrorism
suspects have managed to stock their armories with assault
rifles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09wed2.html?th

..................

Virtues of Optical-Scan Voting
As it finalizes voting machine legislation, Albany should
endorse optical-scan machines, the most reliable and
cost-effective of the current technologies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09wed3.html?th

..................

Kosovo's New Chance
The indictment of Kosovo's prime minister on war crimes
charges has given the Albanian majority an opportunity to
show they deserve independence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09wed4.html?th

..................

Go to Editorials/Op-Ed
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

- OP-ED -

OP-ED COLUMNIST
Homegrown Osamas
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Since 9/11, we've focused on the risk of foreign terrorism,
but we have plenty of potential terrorists right here at
home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09kristof.html?th

..................

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
Can Hezbollah Go Straight?
By MICHAEL YOUNG
Hezbollah will soon be forced to take its chances as a
national party in Lebanon and separate its fate from the
Syrian occupation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09young.html?th

..................

OP-ED CONTRIBUTORS
Out of Service
By TIM CLARK and CARL KAY
The appointment of Sir Howard Stringer to the top spot at
Sony may be less bold, and more practical, than it looks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/opinion/09clark.html?th

..................

Go to Editorials/Op-Ed
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html?th

----------------------------------------

- ON THIS DAY -

On March 9, 1862, during the Civil War, the ironclads Monitor and Virginia (formerly Merrimac) clashed for five hours to a draw at Hampton Roads, Va.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/20050309.html

Buy this front page.
http://www.nytimes.com/nytstore/historicpages/frontpages/NSKEEP11.html

----------------------------------------

About This E-Mail

You received these headlines because you are subscribed to Today's Headlines from NYTimes.com.

Unsubscribe: 
http://www.nytimes.com/gst/unsub.html?email=[email-masked]&id=43662523&group=th&product=all

Manage My Subscriptions: 
http://www.nytimes.com/email/

Suggestions: 
http://www.nytimes.com/membercenter/formf.html

How to Advertise: 
http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo/ 

Privacy Policy: 
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/privacy.html

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

NYTimes.com 500 Seventh Avenue New York, NY 10018