Subject: [extropy-chat] The Vatican on Schiavo

From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:52:43 +0100

>From the Vatican's newspaper, on Terri Schavo:
"la Chiesa cattolica condanna in modo assoluto perché viola il valore
fondamentale della vita umana della persona che nasce con noi e
appartiene alla stessa natura di esseri umani viventi. Nessuno può
arrogarsi il diritto della morte di una persona innocente"
Translated: "The Chatolic Church absolutely condemns this [switching
off life support equipment], as it is against the fundamental value of
the human life of a person who is born with us and belongs to the same
kind of living human beings. Nobody can assume the right to put an
innocent persons to death".
Question to the Catholic Church: How many innocent persons have you
put to death with the inquisition?
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:10:01 -0800

> put to death with the inquisition?

Logical fallacy: Argumentum ad hominem tu quoque.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem-tu-quoque.html

-- 
Eliezer S. Yudkowsky                          http://singinst.org/
Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:38:43 +0100

No logical fallacy. I am not refuting a logical proposition but an
attempt to seize a moral high ground. Different rules apply.

---

From: "Technotranscendence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:29:19 -0500

> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem-tu-quoque.html

Agreed.

People don't seem to get that there's nothing logically invalid about
the pot calling the kettle black.  After all, the kettle may indeed be
black.:)

Cheers!

Dan
    See the "Free Banking FAQ" at:
http://uweb1.superlink.net/~neptune/BankFAQ.html

---

From: "Simon Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:58:58 -0500

"Nobody can assume the right to put an innocent person to death."

Is it just me, or does all this open the door to promoting life
extension for people who actually *want* to stay alive longer? If the
Church condemns *not* using science and technology to keep someone alive
longer, must it not logically then support using science and technology
to keep everyone alive longer? 

The Schiavo affair is being used by the Christian Right as pro-life
propaganda, but I think that it could just as easily be used by
transhumanists for pro-longevity propaganda.

By the way, the Vatican's position is quite hypocritical given that a
few weeks ago it was promoting the Pope's suffering with Parkinson's as
a model for the world, saying that far too many healthcare resources are
spent on individuals in wealthy nations. How much has it cost to keep
Schiavo alive in a vegetative state? 

Best,
Simon
 	
Simon Smith
Editor-in-chief
Betterhumans

E: [email-masked]
P: 416-690-0679
M: 416-738-6058

BETTERHUMANS

Betterhumans | Create the Future TM
www.betterhumans.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Giu1i0 Pri5c0
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:53 AM
To: World Transhumanist Association Discussion List; ExI chat list
Subject: [wta-talk] The Vatican on Schiavo

_______________________________________________
wta-talk mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.transhumanism.org/mailman/listinfo/wta-talk