Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Hello from a newbie

From: "Bob Ferguson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:20:40 -0500

Dick,
 
Thanks for your reply...it's really helpful.  I'll rig up the outhaul
right away.  Also, your comment about lee helm and the keel not being
fully lowered made a lot of sense.  I just hadn't realized that the
center of effort would shift as the keel goes up and down.
 
Bob Ferguson
l' etat bleu
1982 #11334

>>> [email-masked] 4/25/2005 4:55:00 PM >>>

Hi Bob - Welcome to the fleet and to the list. Chip Ford has provided
us with a great forum in which to talk about our boats.  I hope you have
had time to visit his excellent website. You have picked a really good
boat to step up into.  It has a great group of knowledgeable sailors
sailing it.  A lot of them are on this list.  So your newbie questions
are always appropriate and you will get plenty of answers.  Sometimes
you need to sort out conflicting views. Because of the number of boats
out there, there is a plentiful supply of used parts and well as new
ones.  Just ask for it and usually someone has it or knows where to find
it.  There are two books you need to invest in.  One is a parts catalog
and owners handbook sold by Catalina Direct.
http://www.catalinadirect.com  The second is available on disk from the
Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. http://catalina22.org/ You
must be a member to purchase it, as it is one of their incentives to
join..  Some may disagree, but I have been a member for thirty years,
since I bought my first 22. I believe the price of book and the
membership in the organization are well worth it.
 
Now for my take on your questions.
 
1a.  ... There is a cheek block mounted near the aft end, but it's not
far enough back to do any good for the outhaul, and there's no cleat on
that side of the mast, so the block must be intended as a part of the
furling system.  
 
There are plenty of variations on the way to rig an outhaul. Here is
one I have used for years, until I got fancy and went with an internal
system.
 
Attach a small swivel block to the clew of the mainsail with a deep
shackle.  Mount a cheek block on the side of the boom at the very end,
so that the aft mounting screws are tapped into the end cap. If you
don't already have one, mount an eye strap on the top of the boom at the
very aft end.  Mount a vertical clam cleat on the same side of the boom
as the cheek block above, about 2-3 feet from the forward end of the
boom. You need to be able to reach the forward end of the control line
when the boom is out to the side of the boat.  Tie a figure 8 in the end
of the control line (I use 1/4 inch twisted line.  It holds in the clam
cleat better) and pass it forward through the eye strap, through the
small swivel block, back to the cheek block and finally forward to the
clam cleat.  Make the line long enough so that the forward end has a
short tail to grab while pulling in the line. This arrangement will give
you enough mechanical advantage to pull the foot of the sail aft.  Just
ease the mainsheet before you try to pull it in.
 
1b. ... there's no band painted on the boom, so I'm not sure how far
aft the main should normally be pulled to.
 
Measure 9 feet 10 inches from the aft face of the mast and make a mark
on the boom.  Use a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch electrical tape to form
a 1 inch band whose forward edge aligns with the mark. (You can get
fancy and paint a 1 inch band if you desire.  I used a piece of water
line tape.)
 
2.... I had some noticeable lee helm, especially when close hauled. 
 
Lee helm, especially upwind is bad.  For safety reasons as well as
others, you want the boat to head up into the wind, if you leave the
tiller unattended, i.e. you fall overboard.  Helm pressure is a function
of balance between the pressure of the sail plan (Center of Effort -CE)
and the sideways resistance of the hull, keel and rudder (Center of
Lateral Resistance-CLR).  If CE and CLR align the boat will sail in a
straight line.  To make the boat try to turn into the wind, the CE has
to be further aft than the CLR. You can increase the rake of the mast or
lower the keel more. Use a smaller headsail to move the CE aft.
 
NOTE: Vector analysis was never my strong suit.  Others are free to
correct my observations.
 
3. ... that annoying cable hum?
 
What is so annoying about it?  Just think of it as an audible knot
meter; the higher the pitch, the faster you are going.  It is vibrating
as it moves through the water.  To lower the frequency to an inaudible
range, just slack off on the cable by rotating the keel winch handle
counterclockwise to ease the tension on the cable. 
 
Again welcome aboard.
 
Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
A bad day sailing beats almost anything worth doing.
 
P.S. Please do my old eyes a favor and increase the size of your text. 
I have difficulty reading the really small stuff.  Also, include your
hull/sail number in your signature.  Our boats are all a little
different.  Sometimes the answer might differ according to when it came
off the line.
 
RTK

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Bob Ferguson 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 1:57 PM
Subject: [Catalina22] Hello from a newbie

I'm a new and proud owner of a 1983 C-22 swing keel and have been
lurking on this list for a little while now.  The discussions have been
really interesting and informative, so thanks in advance to all of you
with more experience than I have.  This C-22 is a big step up for
me...my previous boats have been much smaller (an M-16 and an O'Day 19),
so I have some learning to do.
 
I've had the boat in the water for a couple of weeks now (Spring came
early to northwest Iowa) and a couple of questions have come up
already:
 
1.  There seems to be no provision on my boom for an outhaul...don't
know how the previous owner handled that.  There is a cheek block
mounted near the aft end, but it's not far enough back to do any good
for the outhaul, and there's no cleat on that side of the mast, so the
block must be intended as a part of the furling system.  All I'm doing
now is tensioning the foot of the mainsail by hand and tying it off to
the eye at the back of the mast which the topping lift attaches to...not
a good system.  Also, there's no band painted on the boom, so I'm not
sure how far aft the main should normally be pulled to.
 
2.  I was sailing last evening w/ the main and jib fully deployed and
the wind at 10-12 mph, and I had some noticable lee helm, especially
when close hauled.  That was only the 2nd or 3rd time I've sailed the
boat, but I'm sure there was a bit of weather helm on the earlier
occasions
 
3.  How to I get rid of that annoying cable hum?
 
Any thoughts would be appreciated.  
 
Bob Ferguson

---

From: "W. Bell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:02:02 -0400

As i recall, and it has been a while since i messed a whole lot with 
mast rake.  But that weather helm can be minimized by raking the mast 
forward, and lee helm by raking aft.  Of course, both conditions can be 
caused by how much sail is being used and how it is set-up. Size of 
headsail, main reefed etc.  As stated below, the boat needs to be set-up 
so that if you let go of the tiller the boats heads up wind and stalls 
(goes into irons). 

Just FWIW-- Bill
87 swing keel
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

[email-masked] wrote:

> us with a great forum in which to talk about our boats.  I hope you 
> have had time to visit his excellent website. You have picked a really 
> good boat to step up into.  It has a great group of knowledgeable 
> sailors sailing it.  A lot of them are on this list.  So your newbie 
> questions are always appropriate and you will get plenty of answers.  
> Sometimes you need to sort out conflicting views. Because of the 
> number of boats out there, there is a plentiful supply of used parts 
> and well as new ones.  Just ask for it and usually someone has it or 
> knows where to find it.  There are two books you need to invest in.  
> One is a parts catalog and owners handbook sold by Catalina Direct. 
> http://www.catalinadirect.com  The second is available on disk from 
> the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. http://catalina22.org/ 
> You must be a member to purchase it, as it is one of their incentives 
> to join..  Some may disagree, but I have been a member for thirty 
> years, since I bought my first 22. I believe the price of book and the 
> far enough back to do any good for the outhaul, and there's no cleat 
> on that side of the mast, so the block must be intended as a part of 
> the furling system. 
>  
> don't already have one, mount an eye strap on the top of the boom at 
> the very aft end.  Mount a vertical clam cleat on the same side of the 
> boom as the cheek block above, about 2-3 feet from the forward end of 
> the boom. You need to be able to reach the forward end of the control 
> line when the boom is out to the side of the boat.  Tie a figure 8 in 
> the end of the control line (I use 1/4 inch twisted line.  It holds in 
> the clam cleat better) and pass it forward through the eye strap, 
> through the small swivel block, back to the cheek block and finally 
> forward to the clam cleat.  Make the line long enough so that the 
> forward end has a short tail to grab while pulling in the line. This 
> arrangement will give you enough mechanical advantage to pull the foot 
> of the sail aft.  Just ease the mainsheet before you try to pull it in.
>  
> on the boom.  Use a couple of pieces of 1/2 inch electrical tape to 
> form a 1 inch band whose forward edge aligns with the mark. (You can 
> get fancy and paint a 1 inch band if you desire.  I used a piece of 
> water line tape.)
>  
> tiller unattended, i.e. you fall overboard.  Helm pressure is a 
> function of balance between the pressure of the sail plan (Center of 
> Effort -CE) and the sideways resistance of the hull, keel and rudder 
> (Center of Lateral Resistance-CLR).  If CE and CLR align the boat will 
> sail in a straight line.  To make the boat try to turn into the wind, 
> the CE has to be further aft than the CLR. You can increase the rake 
> of the mast or lower the keel more. Use a smaller headsail to move the 
> CE aft.
>  
> meter; the higher the pitch, the faster you are going.  It is 
> vibrating as it moves through the water.  To lower the frequency to an 
> inaudible range, just slack off on the cable by rotating the keel 
> winch handle counterclockwise to ease the tension on the cable.
>  
> Again welcome aboard.
>  
> Dick King
> Melbourne, FL
> 7976 Jagged Edge
> P.S. Please do my old eyes a favor and increase the size of your 
> text.  I have difficulty reading the really small stuff.  Also, 
> include your hull/sail number in your signature.  Our boats are all a 
> little different.  Sometimes the answer might differ according to when 
> it came off the line.
>  
> RTK
>
>     From: Bob Ferguson <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     lurking on this list for a little while now.  The discussions have
>     been really interesting and informative, so thanks in advance to
>     all of you with more experience than I have.  This C-22 is a big
>     step up for me...my previous boats have been much smaller (an M-16
>     and an O'Day 19), so I have some learning to do.
>      
>     I've had the boat in the water for a couple of weeks now (Spring
>     came early to northwest Iowa) and a couple of questions have come
>     up already:
>      
>     1.  There seems to be no provision on my boom for an
>     outhaul...don't know how the previous owner handled that.  There
>     is a cheek block mounted near the aft end, but it's not far enough
>     back to do any good for the outhaul, and there's no cleat on that
>     side of the mast, so the block must be intended as a part of the
>     furling system.  All I'm doing now is tensioning the foot of the
>     mainsail by hand and tying it off to the eye at the back of the
>     mast which the topping lift attaches to...not a good system. 
>     Also, there's no band painted on the boom, so I'm not sure how far
>     2.  I was sailing last evening w/ the main and jib fully deployed
>     and the wind at 10-12 mph, and I had some noticable lee helm,
>     especially when close hauled.  That was only the 2nd or 3rd time
>     I've sailed the boat, but I'm sure there was a bit of weather helm
>     on the earlier occasions
>