Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Dear Siberia

From: bob figueroa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:39:12 -0800 (PST)

Dave,
    It's a "Bayardism". 
    Enjoy it, meditate on it, feel it, become one with it... but never question it!

Dave Devine wrote"
          Bayard,
 
     Man, you can really turn a phrase. "as when the circus will avail itself upon the uninitiated."
     what the heck does THAT mean?

Bob Figueroa
"Ruah" Sail #5155, Islip Terrace, NY
"Ruah... Sailing in the breath of God!"
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "Lance Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:23:59 -0900

After 14 hours on the job---You guys just made my day!!!! -

First I get a read on a great bit of script from Bayard -absolutely super!!!

then I top it off with the incredibly useful tips on head'sl sheets.( I'm
definitely going to rig that setup)

Followed by a healthy dose of reality with that sig from Dana.

Thank You all!!

Lance

---

From: "Dale Mack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:20:56 -0800

Hello,

The Catalina 22 Fleet 20 newsletter is available on the Fleet's website at:

http://www.c22pdx.org

Dale Mack, Fleet Captain
Catalina 22 Fleet 20, Portland
www.C22pdx.org 
C22, Crocus, #4248
C30 MkIII, Celtic Myst, #6382
www.celtic-myst.net 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:35:44 -0700

From there, looks like a great Tech Tips Page http://www.c22pdx.org/.
    Ken

-- 
Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:45:37 -0700

Dale,
Might you have part numbers and where-to-buy info for the quick 
release pins and hardware for making trailering easier mentioned at
http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200101/200101.htm#TraileringQuickReleaseHardware 
and http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/table.htm

Thx
Ken

At 9:20 AM -0800 on 3/12/05,  Dale Mack is rumored to have written:
><>

---

From: "Dale Mack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:56:12 -0800

Hello Ken,

Sorry no part numbers.  The quick release pins are 1/4" diameter and just
long enough to fit through tang of the turnbuckle.  You want to match the
diameter of the pin to the size of the tang's hole so the ball bearing in
the quick release pin prevents the pin from falling out.  The pins used for
the table match the size used topsides because they serve as backups.

Dale Mack
C22, Crocus, #4248

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ken G. Brown
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Catalina 22 Fleet 20 - March Newsletter

Dale,
Might you have part numbers and where-to-buy info for the quick 
release pins and hardware for making trailering easier mentioned at
http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200101/200101.htm#Traile
ringQuickReleaseHardware 
and http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/table.htm

Thx
Ken

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Dale Mack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:02:58 -0800

Dennis,

Tar Baby doesn't appear to have winches for the headsail sheets.  How do you
manage that?  Here on the Columbia River the winches are needed.  Are the
cabin top winches just for the halyards?  I'm basing my comments from what I
can see in the 2004 Nationals photos.

Dale Mack
C22, Crocus, #4248

---

From: "Dale Mack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:13:45 -0800

Hello,

Catalina Direct wants $35 plus S&H for an old style (pre-85) traveler car.
I'm hoping to find a used one in serviceable condition.  In fact, if the
price is right, I might be interested in the stainless steel cheeks if the
sheaves are shot so I can rebuild it.

Anyone out there with an old traveler you're not using?

Dale Mack
C22, Crocus, #4248

---

From: "Dale Mack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:55:48 -0800

Hello,

Fleet 20 will be racing with spinnakers this year on the Columbia River.
It's going to be a real joy having the extra power downwind, which locally
means sailing upstream against the river's two knot current.

Crocus wasn't setup for flying a symmetrical spinnaker, so that's where my
attention is currently focused.  I got lots of spinnaker practice last year
as I crewed aboard a Catalina 25, as we prepared for and then competed in
the 2004 Nationals in Portland.  One of the things we wish we would have
installed on the C25 was a dedicated set of spinnaker sheet winches.  We
didn't, and it was a pain managing mark roundings with a single set of
winches.  The boat we placed second against at the C25 Nationals had
dedicated spinnaker sheet winches.

Here's my question.  Assuming I'm not interested in adding a second set of
winches, I'd like to hear from some racers on spinnaker sheet handling
options.  Specifically:

1) Where to install the aft turning blocks?  The stern rail has been removed
from Crocus and will not be reinstalled.  I have a set of standup blocks I
was considering using.  The blocks are mounted to pads and then held
vertical using springs.

2) What to use in place of winches to hold the sheets?

Any other ideas you think might be helpful. 

Dale Mack
C22, Crocus, #4248

---

From: "Dennis Slaton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:26:13 -0500

Dale, for many years I didn't have winches on the boat at all. A couple 
years back I put winches on the cabin top, because I was getting closer to 
my 60th birthday and thought I might need them. Well I still haven't used 
them. Not for the genoa sheeting or the haylards.
The pictures from the 2001 Nationals have some shots of my boat, that might 
give a better look at the setup on the Tar Baby. As far as halyard tension, 
I use Cunninghams on the genoa and main. It easier to get haylard tension 
pulling down rather than pulling up on the haylard, with no risk of breaking 
hardware. Most C-22 racers nowadays try to use as little haylard and 
backstay tension as possible in all conditions, just enough to control the 
luff on the sail.
Genoa winches are replaced with cheek hexa- ratchet blocks. Trigger cleats 
are used with the hexa-ratchet, so the sheet can be uncleated under high 
load. Getting the genoa in is done with long, fast sheet pulls by the crew 
(my wife Pam ), getting the sail in to about a foot off the spreaders. The 
last 6-8" is pull in by this country boys right arm. Hope this helps.
Dennis Slaton
Tar Baby #27

---

From: "Dan Keagle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:00:07 -0500

Dale,

Did you find an old style car yet? I will have one available in the next
month or so. It will need new sheaves, so I'd be willing to pass it along
for the cost of the shipping.

Dan

Dan Keagle
North Light, #12552
Alexandria, VA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Dale Mack
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] WTB an old style traveler car

Hello,

Dale Mack
C22, Crocus, #4248