Subject: F1000 Biology Update

From: Faculty of 1000 Biology <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:59:00 -0000

Faculty of 1000 Biology Reports Ltd - Update

<http://www.facultyof1000.com/browse/>
Essential, rapid post-publication evaluation by top scientists

“This exciting paper suggests remarkable applications for phylogenetic
analysis in which ancient extinct proteins can be recreated in the
laboratory and examined for functional changes through time. This kind
of study represents a real (if substantially scaled down) Jurassic
Park, one protein at a time.”
<http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/12200476/evaluation>
David Hillis (University of Texas at Austin, USA), F1000 Faculty
member for Genomics & Genetics, commenting on Chang et al. Mol Biol
Evol 2002 <http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/12200476/evaluation>

- Broad Impact paper: New and improved "split GFP" tagging
- Hidden Jewel: Even the simplest free-living organisms experience
aging
- Did you know...How to see F1000 Biology badges when searching in
PubMed?
- 65 institutes in developing countries receive free access via
Faculty member sponsors
- Tell a friend
- Get a Faculty of 1000 Biology poster

Broad Impact paper: New and improved "spilt GFP" tagging
Four Faculty of 1000 Biology members recently singled out a HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/15580262/evaluation/sections"Broad
impact paper that is of high interest to researchers studying Cell
biology, Chemical biology, Developmental biology, Microbiology,
Neuroscience, Plant biology and Structural biology.
HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/15580262/evaluation/sections""This
study reports on a new "split GFP" tag with much improved properties
for use in in situ protein tagging, promotor activation studies and
protein localization studies" comments F1000 Biology Microbiology
member HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/biography/1847596620161401"Kees
Jalink (The Netherlands Cancer Institute).
He goes on to say HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/15580262/evaluation/sections""The
paper reports significant progress in circumventing the drawbacks of
earlier systems, including better folding and stability, and minimal
influence on protein solubility."
The F1000 Biology HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/how"structure makes it possible to
identify papers of broad interest, irrespective of the journal in
which they are published. To see HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/15580262/evaluation/sections"the
full comments of all the evaluating Faculty members on this broad
impact paper, go to the website.

Hidden Jewel: Even the simplest free living organisms experience aging
HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/biography/1720563706195693"Daniel
Promislow (University of Georgia, USA) and HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/biography/1129722912108304"Jeffrey
Lawrence (University of Pittsburgh, USA), F1000 Biology Faculty
members, selected for evaluation a paper that demonstrates aging in an
organism that reproduces by symmetric division. Daniel Promislow
comments:
HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/article/15685293/evaluation"“This study
is the first to show that aging even strikes Escherichia coli, a
single-celled organism with symmetric division.”
HYPERLINK "http://www.facultyof1000.com/top10/jewels/"The Hidden
Jewels lists are continuously updated and highlight the most
interesting articles from less widely read journals. They are one of
the most popular features on the F1000 Biology site as they bring to
scientists' attention papers they otherwise might have missed
(especially in fields adjacent to their own). This list is compiled
daily and includes highly viewed papers evaluated within the previous
month.
HYPERLINK "http://www.facultyof1000.com/browse/"Faculty of 1000
Biology comprises over 1900 leading international life scientists, who
highlight and comment on the best papers in biology.

Did you know...How to see F1000 Biology badges when searching in
PubMed?
PubMed’s linkout system makes it possible to search PubMed while
displaying links to Faculty of 1000 Biology for any article that has
been evaluated.
One simple way to do this is to bookmark the following link to PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?holding=F1000
For the duration of your PubMed search session, F1000 Biology links
will then be displayed. It is also possible to turn on F1000 Biology
links in PubMed in a more permanent fashion as follows:

1. For individuals 
PubMed’s My NCBI service allows you to set up a username and password, 
associated with your personal linkout preferences. Simply add Faculty 
of 1000 (linkout provider name: f1000) to your LinkOut preferences and you will always 
see Faculty of 1000 links whenever you are logged into PubMed.

2. For institutions/libraries 
See http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/linkout

65 institutes in developing countries receive free access via Faculty
member sponsors (see list <http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/hinari/>)
F1000 Biology is keen to make itself available to scientists in all
countries, including developing countries, so we offer free
subscriptions to institutions in the poorest countries, in line with
HINARI (Health InterNetwork Access to Research Initiative).In
addition, we offer Faculty Members who submit regularly the
opportunity to nominate an institute of their choice in a developing
country for free access to F1000 Biology. This list is based on (but
not limited to) the HINARI 'deeply discounted' countries list (see our
list of HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/hinari/eligible"eligible
countries).
More than HYPERLINK
"http://www.facultyof1000.com/about/hinari/sponsor"65 institutes in
developing countries now receive free access to F1000 Biology thanks
to our Faculty members!

Tell a friend
If you think your colleagues might be interested in finding out more
about Faculty of 1000 Biology, please forward this email to them and
let them know that they can also receive these updates by sending a
blank email to HYPERLINK
"mailto:[email-masked]"[email-masked]

Get a Faculty of 1000 Biology poster
Let your colleagues know about Faculty of 1000 Biology by putting up
one of our posters. To receive your copies simply email us at
HYPERLINK "mailto:[email-masked]"[email-masked] with
your full postal address and which poster you would like (i.e. Italian,
German, Japanese or English).

HYPERLINK
"mailto:[email-masked]?subject=Please%20send%20me%20an%20F1000%20Biology%20poster"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have received this message because you asked to receive updates from 
Faculty of 1000 Biology.
Your registered e-mail address is: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to: [email-masked]
For further information or enquires please contact Customer 
Services at: [email-masked]