Subject: [AthofSV] AA Media Alert: Silverman tonight on Hannity & Colmes

From: "cgastbook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:24:26 -0000

American Atheists Media Alert
Wednesday March 16, 2005

   EASTER AND BUNNIES AND PC POLICE, OH MY!  SILVERMAN ON ALL OF
         IT TONIGHT ON FOXNEWS CHANNEL, HANNITY & COLMES

  How Angry Will Sean Hannity Become With Dapper Dave and the Easter 
Bunny?

Some shopping malls have decided to phrase out the Easter bunny in 
favor of multicultural and less controversial  names like "Garden 
Bunny" or simply Peter Rabbit.

Is the work of evil secularists or the "PC Police" like some 
religious conservatives charge?

This story is the latest jag for many who see evidence everywhere 
that religion is "under attack" in the public square.  Tonight, the 
fate of the Easter Bunny is among the topics on the controversial 
FoxNews Channel program "Hannity & Colmes."  And American Atheists' 
own Dave Silverman, AA Communications Director, will be testing the 
limited patience of the combative, trunculent Mr. Hannity as they do 
verbal combat over this issue.  The REAL issue is not so much about 
the furry bunny, a pagan symbol of fertility amalgamated into the 
Christian religion, as it is about issues touching on secularism, 
tolerance, and multiculturalism.  

Catch Dave tonight (Wednesday, March 16, 2005) as he locks horns with 
Hannity over the celebration of Easter, and throws down a challenge 
to the religious conservative commentator.  Tune in FoxNews Channel 
beginning at 9:00 PM Eastern.

WHO & WHAT: American Atheists Communications Director Dave Silverman 
on Hannity & Colmes, 

WHEN: Tonight, Wednesday, March 16, 2005 beginning at 9:00 PM

WHERE: Hannity & Colmes, FoxNews Channel, check local listings

(AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a nationwide movement that defends civil rights 
for Atheists; works for the total separation of church and state; and 
addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Date not known  - Upcoming DEMONSTRATION on Church/State separation
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - South Park episode "The Passion of the Jew"
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Martin Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:38:49 -0800

I watched this segment, but in my view Dave Silverman did not come across
too well. I don't know about this history of his appearances on the Fox
News Channel (he mentioned that he had been on before), but he should have
refused to appear if the other segments were like this one.

He quite rightly pointed out the capitalist pressures behind the Easter
Bunny decisions. I was however particularly dismayed at seeing how quickly
the discussion went off topic and into more general atheist issues. Dave
didn't have anything to respond to the question by the moderators about
religious phrases on the currency, the pledge or the constitution.

Is Fox News really the kind of venue atheists should seek out? I'm not
convinced appearances like these do anything to help our standing in the
general public.

- Martin.

> (snip)