Subject: Cal Connection, the Newsletter for Cal's Alumni and Friends

From: "California Alumni Association" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:47:05 GMT

To view the full color version of this newsletter, go to:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/g11j6w51fm3X/ 

Dear David,

It's my favorite time of year on campus. As graduation draws
near, the campus begins to buzz with energy. Join the
celebrations at Cal Day, Charter Banquet Gala and the
inauguration of our new chancellor--all happening April 14, 15
and 16.

Below we highlight a number of opportunities to connect with
Cal: 

-Career Week: April 8-14 
-Summertime fun: Lair of the Golden Bear 
-Travel to the Pacific Northwest 
-New Washington Mutual banking benefits

Also, read about some of our amazing Bears! The stellar
achievements of these students and alumni have earned them
well-deserved recognition.

I enjoy keeping you informed and actively engaged in the Cal
community. I look forward to seeing you at many of these events,
but please swing by Alumni House anytime to say hello. Thanks
and...

Go Bears!
Randy Parent '77
Executive Director, CAA

=====================================================================
Please forward this newsletter to anyone who would enjoy it. If
you are not already on our list, subscribe here:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/gp1j6w51fm3f/. If you prefer
not to receive this newsletter, please go to the bottom of this
message to unsubscribe. If you would like to change your e-mail
address, go here: http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/smp.tcl?nkey=gniisez15jx7b7
=====================================================================

This Month's Highlights
=====================================================================

Inaugural Events April 14, 15 & 16 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/671j6w51fm3O/ 
----------------------------------------------

Inauguration Ceremony: 
Robert J. Birgeneau will be inaugurated as Berkeley's ninth
chancellor on Friday, April 15 at 2 p.m. in Zellerbach
Auditorium, as he announces his vision of Berkeley, focusing on
leadership, connection, and inclusion. Please share your vision
or thoughts on Berkeley's future with the new chancellor at
[email-masked].
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/6d1j6w51fm36/ 

Cal Day: 
Spend Saturday, April 16 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m, visiting teaching
labs, hearing lectures, touring campus museums, or watching
athletic events.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Op1j6w51fm3j/

And the anchor event of the weekend:

Charter Banquet Gala
Saturday, April 16 at 6 p.m. 
Fort Mason Center, San Francisco 
$125 per person 
(Classes 1994-2004 $100) 
RSVP: http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/W71j6w51fm3U/

View the entire three day calendar 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/671j6w51fm3O/ 

Membership Benefit 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rp1j6w51fm3a/
-----------------------------------------------

New Cal Alumni Checks and Banking Rewards

For years, Washington Mutual has offered $500 off closing costs
and no origination fee on home loans to CAA members. Now, take
advantage of recently expanded Washington Mutual services for
Cal alums. 

Show your Cal pride with free California Alumni checks, and
receive many exclusive benefits just for Cal alumni-reduced
interest rates on consumer and home equity loans, free bill pay
and much more.

Join the thousands of alums already saving with Washington
Mutual.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/f11j6w51fm3z/

Visit the CAA online store for more great benefits.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/v71j6w51fm3N/ 

Spotlight on Careers 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Xp1j6w51fmxJ/
-------------------------------------------------

Career Week April 8 - 14, "Recipe for Success"
We invite you to Cal's 8th annual Career Week, "Recipe for
Success", featuring a collection of on-campus panels &
presentations covering a variety of career-related topics.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/vp1j6w51fm32/

Bear Profile: Madeline Wu '05 would like to network with you.
Share a little of your time by offering her an informational
interview today.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/B71j6w51fmxT/

Make career connections through @cal, Berkeley's online
community (exclusive to alumni and CAA members). Subscribe to
email lists and have jobs sent to you daily, find contacts for
networking opportunities and informational interviews. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Wp1j6w51fm3y/

More career resources: 

New Job Web Resources 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/X71j6w51fmx-/

April's Hot Jobs at Cal 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Xd1j6w51fmxF/

New East Coast Partners 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Bp1j6w51fmxH/

Bear Recognition 
--------------------------------------- 

Distinguished Mentor of the Year 
CAA is proud to honor Dr. Francis Kong '91. for his committment
to the spirit of mentorship that inspires his mentees to
succeed. He will be recognized at this year's Charter Banquet
Gala. Read about Dr. Kong here. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/5d1j6w51fm3s/

Award Nominations: 
Many accomplishments of Cal alumni significantly impact society
and reflect the dynamic excellence of a Cal education. Nominate
someone to be recognized: Nominations due April 29. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/c11j6w51fmx0/

Record number of scholarship applications:
In February, we received a record 8500 Alumni Scholarship
applications, an increase of almost 5000 from last year. We need
your help to help interview and select scholarship recipients.
Donate your time to Cal and help recognize student leaders;
volunteer for the Alumni Leadership Scholarship today. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/571j6w51fm3x/

Scholar Profile: 
Through alumni scholarships, students like Luis Fernandez are
able to thrive as campus leaders of the Cal student community.
Read about these great students here. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/5p1j6w51fm33/

Bear Treks Travel Program 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/c71j6w51fmxP/
------------------------------------------

America's Pacific Northwest
With stops in Seattle, Olympic National Park, the San Juan and
Vancouver islands, this walking tour captures the great spirit
of adventure and outdoor exploration that helps define the
Pacific Northwest. 

Featured Tour Lecturer: John Harte, Cal professor of
environmental science, contributes his expertise on the practice
and principles of ecology.
-Pacific Northwest:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/cd1j6w51fmxp/
-John Harte: http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/O11j6w51fm3I/

Planning a vacation soon? Visit us online and sign up for our
email newsletter to learn about other educational tours. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/smp.tcl?nkey=gniisez15jx7b7 

Family Camp - Lair of the Golden Bear 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r71j6w51fm3q/
-------------------------------------------- 

Who's in for disco bingo? You have 7,516,800 seconds to choose
your costume!

Reservations: We have openings! Week 12, Week 11, Camp Gold Mini
Week, and Get-Away Weekends. Fill out a reservation form
today.-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/g71j6w51fm3r/

Adult Weeks: Club Lair for singles with a playful streak AND
Sports and Recreation Week for singles and couples with a knack
for sweat and adventure.
-Club Lair: http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/4p1j6w51fmxV/
-Sports and Recreation Week:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/4p1j6w51fmxV/

Summer Jobs: Last call for summer staff applicants, apply here. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r11j6w51fmxC/

Cal News and Events 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/vd1j6w51fm3M/ 
-------------------------------------------- 

The role of higher education in society: Clark Kerr Lecture
Series presents Charles M. Vest, President Emeritus, MIT on
April 14, 2005. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/bp1j6w51fm3g/

Come help welcome incoming students to Cal at New Student Spring
Receptions being held throughout California and beyond. Visit
alumni.berkeley.edu/newstudent. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/tp1j6w51fm3B/

Musical Bears: This spring enjoy the musical talents of the
Golden Bears - Student Musical Activities. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/b71j6w51fm3t/

Strolling Octopuses? See a video on the research of Cal
scientists on tropical octopuses.
Read more about Cal in the news.
-Octopuses: http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Wd1j6w51fm3E/
-Cal in the News:
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/6p1j6w51fm3W//

Bowling, bbq's, and more: See what's happening in sunny socal. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/411j6w51fmxD/

Cal Football: Order your season tickets today. 
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/bd1j6w51fm35/ 

This Month's Features
=====================================================================

The California Monthly
Proofs: How photography drives research at UC Berkeley
Plus: Chancellor vs Mayor - Can this marriage be saved?
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/cp1j6w51fmxQ/

Homecoming 2005 Save the Date
September 3 - October 2. 2005
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/611j6w51fm3b//

Shop at Lairstore.com
Get in gear for Lair 2005.
-http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rd1j6w51fm31/

CAA Hotlinks
=====================================================================

Alumni Awards http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/td1j6w51fm3d/ 
Alumni House http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/dp1j6w51fmxl/ 
Bear Connections
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Bd1j6w51fmxY/ 
Bear Treks http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/c71j6w51fmxP/
California Monthly
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/B11j6w51fmxR/ 
Career Services
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Xp1j6w51fmxJ/
Find a Club http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/4d1j6w51fmxK/ 
Find a Job http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/X11j6w51fmxG/ 
Homecoming http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/471j6w51fmxZ/ 
Lair of the Golden Bear
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/r71j6w51fm3q/ 
Membership Benefits
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/rp1j6w51fm3a/ 
Meet our Staff http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/d71j6w51fmxo/

Mentoring http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/fd1j6w51fm3S/ 
Rent Alumni House
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/dd1j6w51fmx9/ 
Reunions http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/Od1j6w51fm37/ 
Scholarships http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/td1j6w51fm3d/ 
Student Services
http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/O71j6w51fm3u/ 
Young Alumni http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/ct/f71j6w51fm3L/ 

=====================================================================
Copyright 2005 California Alumni Association. All Rights
Reserved. 
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720-7520
For questions or comments: [email-masked]

This message was sent to [email-masked]. To modify your email
communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit
your subscription management page at:

http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/smp.tcl?nkey=gniisez15jx7b7

To stop ALL email from CAA, reply via email with "remove" in the
subject line, or use the following link:

http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/caa/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=gniisez15jx7b7

=====================================================================

***************************************
Powered by GetActive Software, Inc.
Member Relationship Management Solutions
That Recruit, Engage, and Retain (tm)
http://www.getactive.com
***************************************