Subject: Drug Policy Alliance Forum Series: MARIJUANA: MEDICINE, MENACE - OR BOTH?

From: "Rhett Hurlston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:49:09 -0500

MARIJUANA:  MEDICINE, MENACE - OR BOTH?
A Panel of Experts Addresses Cannabis Controversies

Wednesday, 4/20, 2005  5 - 7 PM
San Francisco Medical Society
1409 Sutter Street (at Franklin), San Francisco
                                                
Featuring:
Donald Abrams, MD
University of California, San Francisco
Leading HIV and medical cannabis researcher

Timmen Cermak, MD
California Society of Addiction Medicine
Author, Marijuana:  What's a Parent to Believe?

Mitch Earleywine, PhD
University of Southern California
Author, Understanding Marijuana:  A New Look at the Scientific Evidence

Moderators:
Steve Heilig, MPH, San Francisco Medical Society
Marsha Rosenbaum, PhD, Drug Policy Alliance, San Francisco

Opening remarks:
Russell Giuntini, JD, Assistant District Attorney, San Francisco

Concluding remarks:
Ethan Nadelmann, PhD, JD, Drug Policy Alliance, New York

Free to the public
Co-sponsored by the Drug Policy Alliance, San Francisco Medical Society
and the Office of the District Attorney of San Francisco

For more information and to RSVP contact:
Drug Policy Alliance at 415-921-4987 or e-mail [email-masked]
 
Panelists:

Donald I. Abrams
Donald I. Abrams, MD, is chief of the Hematology-Oncology Division at
San Francisco General Hospital and a Professor of Clinical Medicine at
the University of California, San Francisco.  In 1997, he received
funding from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to conduct clinical
trials of the short-term safety of cannabinoids in HIV infection.
Subsequently he has been granted funds by the University of California
Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research to continue studies of the
effectiveness of cannabis in a number of clinical conditions. 

Timmen L. Cermak
Timmen L. Cermak, MD, is Board Certified in Psychiatry, with a
Certificate of Added Qualification in Addiction Psychiatry.  He is also
certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).  He
served on the Executive Council of the California Society of Addiction
Medicine (CSAM) from 1992-1995 and chaired CSAM's task force on medical
marijuana.  His most recent work, Marijuana: What's a Parent to Believe?
was published by Hazelden in August of 2003.

Mitch Earleywine
Mitch Earleywine, PhD, is Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology at
the University of Southern California, where he teaches drugs and human
behavior, substance abuse treatment and clinical research methods.  He
has more than sixty publications on drug use and abuse, including
Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence (Oxford
University Press, 2002).

Remarks:

Russell Giuntini
Russell Giuntini, JD, is currently the Chief Assistant District Attorney
for the City and County of San Francisco.  Among his many
accomplishments, he helped revamp the Mentor Diversion program to
include high tech and pre-apprenticeship training for 18-24 year-old
first time drug sellers, and authored SB 599 designed to seal the
records of those persons who successfully complete statutory drug
diversion programs as a means of putting people back to work.

Ethan Nadelmann
Ethan Nadelmann, JD, PhD, is the founder and executive director of the
Drug Policy Alliance (www.drugpolicy.org), the leading organization in
the United States promoting alternatives to the war on drugs.

Moderators:

Steve Heilig
Steve Heilig, MPH, is a director of the San Francisco Medical Society, a
board member of the Join Together/Robert Wood Johnson drug policy
program, and serves on the editorial board of the Journal of
Psychoactive Drugs.  He has authored numerous articles and reviews
related to drug issues, and last year received the California Medical
Association's annual award for contributions to public health.

Marsha Rosenbaum
Marsha Rosenbaum, PhD, directs the Safety First Project
(www.safety1st.org) and the San Francisco office of the Drug Policy
Alliance.

*******************************************************

Rhett Hurlston 
Drug Policy Alliance 
2233 Lombard Street 
San Francisco, CA 94123 
Tel. 415-921-4987 
Fax 415-921-1912 
Help End The War on Drugs!! 
Join Drug Policy Alliance 
http://www.drugpolicy.org/join