Subject: [nocal-sufi] Coleman Barks coming April 9th to Santa Cruz

From: Jim Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:58:51 -0800

THERE IS A FIELD
An inspirational evening of Rumi Poetry, Stories, Music and Dance

I 'LL MEET YOU THERE
Coleman Barks is a world renowned poet and translator of Rumi . He joins
with transformative dancer and storyteller, Zuleikha and Santa Cruz musical
wonders Barry and Shelley Phillips for an inspirational evening of Rumi
poetry, other mystical poetry, story, music and dance.
 
Rumi (1207-1273) was a teacher, mystic, founder of what we now know as
"Whirling Dervishes," and a poet of lyrical spiritual power.  Born in
Afghanistan, Rumi was teaching in Konya, Turkey in 1244 when he met the
powerful spiritual seeker, Shams of Tabriz. Through his association with
Shams, Rumi found a deeper level within himself, which he called "The
Friend." Rumi created some 20,000 poems as oral extemporizations that were
recorded by his students.  He believed that prayer has a form and physical
equivalent, that every thought has an expressive action.  Many of his verses
are fervent love poems, although the eroticism is a metaphor of the soul¹s
longing for God¹s love.
Rumi¹s poetic masterpieces have inspired countless people throughout the
centuries. Coleman Barks¹ exquisite renderings of Rumi are widely considered
the definitive versions of our times. Barks¹ translations, including his
most recent work The Soul of Rumi: A New Collection of Ecstatic Poems,
capture the inward exploration and intensity that characterize Rumi¹s
poetry, making this unique voice of mysticism and desire contemporary while
remaining true to the original poems. Barks has made this medieval,
Persian-born (present day Afghanistan) poetic and spiritual genius the most
popular poet in America today. "His poetry reflects the transcendent longing
we all feel," says Barks. "Rumi speaks to the times. He sees the divine in
grace and kindness, and also in the terrible things, revealing to us the
ecstasy that resides at the deepest core of experience, and the way out of
sorrow."

A Harmonic Meeting of East and West
COLEMAN BARKS
poet & translator of Rumi
ZULEIKHA
dance, music & story
BARRY & SHELLEY PHILLIPS
folk & traditional music

SAT  APRIL 9   8 PM
The Rio Theatre
1205 Soquel Avenue
Santa Cruz CA  95062
Tickets : advance $ 20.00       $25.00 at the door
Gateways Books 1531 Pacific Avenue Santa Cruz 831-429-9600
www.ticketleap.com
Public access information : 831-423-8209  www.riotheatre.com
 
ABOUT THE ARTISTS

Barry & Shelley Phillips
Shelley Phillips (harp, recorders, oboe, English horn and whistle) received
her M.M. from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music. In addition to
performing and recording in the San Francisco and Monterey Bay Areas, she is
director of the Santa Cruz Community Music School, which offers music
lessons in the folk and conservatory traditions. She is a member of the
Narnian Consort, Orison, the Shaker Ensemble and the Anjali Quartet, and has
appeared on many Gourd recordings including Pavane, Celtic Crossing,
Wondrous Love, Orison, Simple Gifts, Tree of Life, and The World Turned
Upside Down.

Barry Phillips (cello, mandolins, harpsichord and psaltry) received his M.M.
in composition from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music.  He has been
active in film composition, orchestration and conducting and is a
woodworking fanatic as time allows. He has served in various capacities
including performer, arranger and producer for numerous Gourd recordings
including Simple Gifts, The World Turned Upside Down, Tree Of Life, Autumn
in the Valley and Pavane.

Barry and Shelley, in addition to being lifetime Gourd MVPs, play and teach
folk and classical music in Santa Cruz, California.

ABOUT THE ARTISTS

COLEMAN BARKS
For twenty-eight years the poet Coleman Barks has been collaborating with
various Persian scholars to bring the poetry of Rumi and other mystic poets
to the American public. This work has resulted in eighteen volumes,
culminating in the best-selling Essential Rumi (HarperCollins, 1995), two
hour-long appearances on Bill Moyers¹ PBS specials, and inclusion in the
prestigious Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces. Barks taught poetry and
creative writing in various universities for thirty-four years. He has
published six volumes of his own poetry, most recently Tentmaking and Club:
Granddaughter Poems (Maypop, 2001).  He is now retired Professor Emeritus of
English from the University of Georgia in Athens. He received the Juliet
Hollister Award (2004) for his work in the interfaith area. The Rumi
translations have sold over half a million copies worldwide and have touched
the hearts of people from all walks of life.
www.colemanbarks.com

ZULEIKHA
>From the sparkling essence of the ancient wellspring, performance artist
Zuleikha transports her audiences into a whirlwind fusion of spirit, rhythm,
dance and stories of nature, world lore and life itself. Ksenija Horvat of
the Edinburgh Guide describes Zuleikha as "a singular figure on the horizon
of sacred theater and dance, a mistress of countless faces, who moves
effortlessly through space." Growing up in a western classical music family
playing piano and flute, Zuleikha¹s movement background spans the
avant-garde, studying with Anna Halprin during childhood and then on to the
Ali Akbar College of Music and Dance. Zuleikha lived and studied in the
classical music system of Afghanistan with the great master, Ustad Hashim
Chisti. Living and dancing in Bali, practicing movement forms from Asia and
dancing and teaching the temples of Japan, Zuleikha has learned from the
peoples of the world. Zuleikha uplifts theater audiences with her solo
performances. She works internationally with thousands of young people,
performs and teaches at conferences and corporate settings, and collaborates
with fantastic world musicians and poets in the US and abroad.
www.storydancer.com