Subject: May 2005 Peninsula Stanford Newsletter

From: Tom Maravilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:48:39 -0700

Sport your Stanford style, whether it be clothing, writing or 
community service. We have plenty of baseball but don't forget 
Mom this month. All we need is apple pie. Mmm! 

If you are not into May Day how about E-Day? And Powwow? I've 
listed information below on just a few of the many ways you can 
connect with fellow alumni and with Stanford.

Go Cardinal! 

Tom Maravilla, '77
Regional Alumni Relations Officer, Bay Area
[email-masked]
(650) 736-1734
http://www.stanfordalumni.org

**STANFORD WHERE YOU LIVE** 
A Publication of the Stanford Alumni Association

May 2005 Peninsula Stanford Newsletter
================================================
IN THIS ISSUE

Stanford Events Around the Bay Area
   Baseball at Santa Clara 
Come Back to Campus
   Treasure Market 2005, Cantor Arts Center
   House and Garden Tour: Stanford's Historic San Juan Neighborhood
   Lecture: "The Politics of Social Security"
   34th Annual Stanford Powwow
   Reflections on the Kennedy Presidential Years
   EDAY '05: "Today's Issues, Tomorrow's Solutions"
   July 3 Fireworks with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
   Master Calendar of Campus Events
Stanford Alumni News 
   Stanford Book Salon: "Brick Lane"
   Improved Stanford Golf Course Access for Alumni
   Campus Casuals Spring Sale: Style. Selection. Stanford.
   Alumni Education: Writing Program for High School Students
   Stanford Sierra Camp: Memorial Day Weekend Special
   Stanford Career Connections Portal
   Stanford Social Innovation Review: New Ideas for the Social Sector
Bay Area Alumni Clubs
   Act Locally: Find a Group Where You Live

================================================
STANFORD EVENTS AROUND THE BAY AREA

Baseball at Santa Clara, May 10
The Cardinal will play the Broncos at 6 p.m. at Buck Shaw 
Stadium. Drop by and give them your support! Get directions at
http://santaclarabroncos.collegesports.com/trads/sacl-venudirections.html 
For event and ticket information, call (408) 554-4660 or visit:
http://santaclarabroncos.collegesports.com/tickets/sacl-tickets.html
Follow Stanford baseball at
http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/stan-m-basebl-body.html

================================================
COME BACK TO CAMPUS

Treasure Market 2005, Cantor Arts Center, April 29 - May 1
This popular biennial resale event at the Cantor Arts Center 
features antiques, china, collectible books, linens, handmade 
rugs, crystal, silver, furs and jewelry, and probably a kitchen 
sink donated by Stanford alumni, local residents, and collectors. 
To make reservations, call (650) 724-3600. For complete 
Treasure Market 2005 information, visit 
www.stanford.edu/dept/ccva/tm2005.html

House and Garden Tour: Stanford's Historic San Juan Neighborhood, May 1
Celebrate National Preservation Month and glimpse into the 
history and architecture of Old Campus as we tour five vintage 
campus homes and gardens. 
   When: Sunday, May 1, 1-4 p.m.
   Where: Start at 593 Gerona Road, Stanford
   Cost: $20 if received by April 25, $25 afterward
For additional tour information and directions, visit 
http://histsoc.stanford.edu, call (650) 324-1653 or (650) 725-3332, 
or email [email-masked] or [email-masked]

Lecture: "The Politics of Social Security," May 3
Robin Toner is senior writer in the Washington bureau of the 
New York Times covering domestic policy and national politics. 
Ms. Toner was the national political correspondent from 1989 
through the 1992 election, the first woman to hold that position 
at the Times. Wine and cheese reception will follow. Sponsored 
by Hoover Institution Media Fellows and Stanford Alumni Association.
   When: Wednesday, May 3, 4-6 p.m.
   Where: Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center
   Cost: Free; no registration required
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regions/bay_reader.html?content_instance_id=110697 

34th Annual Stanford Powwow, May 6-8
The Stanford Powwow, held every Mother's Day weekend in the 
Eucalyptus Grove on campus, is sponsored by the Stanford 
American Indian Organization. View the Grand Entries, eat 
wonderful food and experience Native American culture.
http://powwow.stanford.edu

Reflections on the Kennedy Presidential Years, May 11
Listen in or even join a conversation between Donald Kennedy, 
president emeritus of Stanford, and Robert Rosenzweig, president
emeritus of the Association of American Universities at the
annual meeting of the Stanford Historical Society. 
   When: Wednesday, May 11, 4:15 p.m. 
   Where: Bishop Auditorium, Graduate School of Business
   Cost: Free; no registration required
For more information contact [email-masked] or call 
(650) 725-3332.
http://histsoc.stanford.edu.

EDAY '05: "Today's Issues, Tomorrow's Solutions" 
Get ahead of the fast pace of change in business and technology 
by attending EDAY '05, hosted by the School of Engineering. 
Join lively forums with industry leaders about outsourcing, 
entrepreneurship, and managing new technologies. Hear faculty 
and industry experts, including keynote speaker and Microsoft 
Group Vice President Jeff Raikes, discuss the hot topics in the 
dynamic and volatile software industry. 
   When: Saturday, May 21, 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. 
   Where: Hewlett Teaching Center, Stanford 
   Cost: $25 for young alumni, $30 for all other alumni. 
Get details and register at http://soe.stanford.edu/alumni/eday05.

July 3 Fireworks with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy 
Jump and jive to the swinging sounds of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at 
Stanford Lively Arts' annual pre-Independence Day celebration 
outdoors in Frost Amphitheater. Bring the whole family and come 
early to picnic. 
   When: Sunday, July 3, 7:30 pm
   Where: Frost Amphitheater, Stanford
   Cost: $38; tickets go on sale May 11
Get more information at
http://livelyarts.stanford.edu

Master Calendar of Campus Events
Browse the master calendar of events happening on campus. Find 
out about Lively Arts and other performances, the Cantor Arts 
Center, conferences and speakers. Get it all at 
http://events.stanford.edu

================================================
STANFORD ALUMNI NEWS

Stanford Book Salon: "Brick Lane"
Join us for "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali, the final book of the 
2004-2005 Stanford Book Salon season. With great poignancy, 
Ali's debut novel brings the immigrant milieu of East London to 
vibrant life through the eyes of two Bangladeshi Sisters and 
tells of the divergent paths taken by contemporary descendants 
of an ancient culture. Listen to the interview with the guest 
reader, Stanford Dean for Religious Life Rev. Scotty McLennan, 
and join the online discussion today.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/alumnied/stanfordreads/booksalonreader.html?content_instance_id=112817

Improved Stanford Golf Course Access for Alumni
Stanford Alumni Association (SAA) members can reserve tee times 
up to three days in advance, instead of just one day in advance.
This longer advance is valid only through the end of May. Invite
up to three guests to play but be prepared to show your membership
card when you arrive. To reserve a tee time, call (650) 323-0944.
http://www.stanfordgolfcourse.com
If you are not yet a member of SAA, join and start playing golf 
by calling the association's membership department at 
(800) 786-2586 or sign up online at 
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/membership

Campus Casuals Spring Sale: Style. Selection. Stanford.
Father's Day and Commencement are just around the corner, making 
now the ideal time to stock up on Stanford gifts for dads and 
grads from the Stanford Alumni Association online shop. In 
celebration, we are offering alumni and parents 10 percent off 
their entire order through June 15. The online shop features a 
large selection of Tommy Hilfiger men's and women's sports and 
casual apparel, as well as an assortment of Stanford logos that 
can be added to your gear. For more information, visit the 
website, or call (800) 249-2582.
http://www.stanfordmerchandise.com/alumni

Alumni Education: Writing Program for High School Students
AllLearn, the online educational alliance of Oxford, Stanford, 
and Yale, is launching a six-week online writing workshop for 
high school students in June. "Mastering the Essay" offers 
students an innovative and flexible way to work with highly 
qualified instructors to develop their writing skills. Learn 
more about the course and read student and parent responses to 
the 2004 pilot program at 
http://www.alllearn.org/email/index.jsp?T=stanford0504&HS=1

Stanford Sierra Camp: Memorial Day Weekend Special
Join us for this adults-only getaway at beautiful Fallen
Leaf Lake. Highlights of this Stanford weekend include
a five-course wine pairing dinner with wines from
Cooper-Garrod Estate Vineyards and a lecture from guest
faculty speaker Kathleen Sullivan, former dean of Stanford
Law School. For more information, including rates, visit
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/sierra/sierra-special/2005memorialday.html, 
or contact Shirley Marsh at (530) 541-1244 or [email-masked].

Stanford Career Connections Portal
Looking for a job? Want to hire Stanford alumni? Check out
the updated Alumni Career Services page, designed to help
you take advantage of the myriad career resources offered
at Stanford. http://www.stanfordalumni.org/career/home.html

Stanford Social Innovation Review: New Ideas for the Social Sector
The Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR) is the premier 
journal on nonprofits, philanthropy and corporate social 
responsibility. As a special bonus to new subscribers to SSIR 
through June 30, we will include a free DVD on best practices 
for nonprofit boards. See why it's the forum of choice for the 
most important new ideas in the social sector. 
http://www.ssireview.org

================================================
BAY AREA ALUMNI CLUBS

Act Locally: Find a Group Where You Live
In addition to the events listed above, other Bay Area alumni 
clubs regularly sponsor events. Stanford clubs are run by alumni 
and parent volunteers and help build the Stanford community 
where you live. Join, RSVP for an event or get more information 
at http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regions/bay.html

================================================
ABOUT THE BAY AREA STANFORD NEWSLETTER
================================================
This newsletter was prepared by Tom Maravilla, '77, and the
Stanford Alumni Association. It is issued every month via e-mail.
Please send any correspondence to [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to [email-masked]

Do we have your most recent contact information? Update it by clicking on this link: 
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/home/main?page=up&pgAid=0292&rtaCode=11819&rtaTcode=3987&eid=30697376030

If you received this in error, or if you'd rather not receive further emails of this kind, you can unsubscribe by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/cmgen/service/maillistu?m=R37&eid=30697376030&rtaCode=11819&pgAid=0292&rtaTcode=3986

If you are encountering difficulties with the above email, contact Customer Service. You may also email [email-masked] or call toll free, 1-866-543-0243 (International: 650-724-0627).

Contact Customer Service by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/feedback/Service/getForm?url=SMfooter&pcode=265