Subject: [AthofSV] Re: To swap or not to swap, only ABC-TV knows

From: "isaacjs22000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:17:00 -0000

I'm inclined to agree.  Some atheists tend to believe that any press
is good press, but it seems like atheists are usually portrayed badly
in the media and that can often hurt more than it helps.  Especially
in the US where more people tend to get their info in news-bites and
snippets instead of thinking stuff through.  I can hear it now. 
"Atheists complaining about lame reality TV Show..."  Then when they
stick it to us, we'll gripe about that.  "Will these godless heretics
ever be satisfied?  News at 11:00."  People start thinking that we
just won't be happy about anything and start to ignore us entirely
because they'll think we're being unreasonable.  That's how fringe
activist groups get so frowned upon--the give others the impression
that they just want something to complain about, and so, they tend to
undermine their actual cause.  Some things, like the school pledge,
are somewhat on the borderline with this.  But I think getting bent
out of shape over some TV show like this will make us seem nitpicky
and petty.  Is this the wise thing to do?

IsaacJ

--- In [email-masked], "Walter Hecker" <HeckerW@c...> wrote:
> 
> Jimhpac:
> > ACTION NEEDED NOW!  ENCOURAGE ABC
> > NETWORK TO AIR "WIFE SWAP"
> > SEGMENT FEATURING ATHEIST AMBER FINLEY
> 
> Watch out what you guys wish for.  If ABC/Disney doesn't want to air the
> episode but feels pressured, what keeps them from editing the whole
thing
> together in a way that the atheist looks like an idiot.  With as much
> material as they have running the cameras virtually each hour of the
day,
> it's the easiest thing in the world to slant the whole thing any
which way
> they want to.  We may regret putting pressure on Disney/ABC as long
as we
> don't know exactly how the episode looks.
> 
> Walter Hecker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Sat. 3/12, 9am-4:30pm - Americans United Activist Training in SF
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?
Wed. 4/13, 7:30 - Video: "Natural Atheism" on 60" TV
Wed. 4/27, 7:30 - Objectivism. Cult of Ayn Rand?

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/