Subject: Urgent: Stop the Republican budget giveaway

From: "Tom Matzzie, MoveOn PAC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:09:16 -0800

Dear MoveOn member,

Typically, Congress takes months to debate its passage of a budget for
America. But President Bush and Republicans in Congress are trying to push
through the budget this week--before critics and the media can point out
the huge program cuts and corporate giveaways. Together, we can make clear
where this budget's priorities really are.

The Republican budget that's on the table cuts gives huge tax breaks to
the rich, cuts education and health care for middle class folks and the
poor, and sends the debt burden for future generations through the roof.
If we can storm the nation's editorial pages with letters that make this
point, we can help move public opinion against the budget. It only takes
five or ten minutes to write a letter to the editor, but the impact is
large--the editorial page is the most-read page of most newspapers, and
politicians watch it carefully to see which way the wind is blowing.

Can you write a letter today? Our online tool makes it easy--we'll help
you find a paper in your area, provide talking points, and you can even
submit your letter online. Write a letter now at:

http://www.moveonpac.org/lte/lte.html?zip=94306-2927&lte_campaign_id=18&id=5214-86329-MKcqLzphIWnP2KeYoMWqTQ

In the past, when MoveOn members have written letters to the editor,
hundreds have been published. But even those that aren't send a message to
editorial page editors that they need to represent our views.

President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress have given us the
largest budget deficit in American history. This year the deficit will be
more than $400 billion, including the extra money for the Iraq war that
President Bush has requested.

Congress will soon vote on the Bush-designed budget that would give away
billions in tax breaks to corporations while shortchanging critical health
care and education needs and exploding the deficit to record levels.

And according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities nearly HALF of
the deficit comes from the tax break legislation of the last four
years--and another 37% comes from Republican-led spending on the war in Iraq
and other non-domestic spending.

We've provided you with everything you need to write a letter at the link above. 
Here are some points to hit in your letter:

  * Republicans are pushing through the budget this week before critics
    and the media can point out huge program cuts and corporate giveaways.

  * The Republican budget explodes the deficit--adding more than $400
    billion to our national debt, when you include the extra money
    requested for the Iraq War. According to the bipartisan Congressional
    Budget Office, the deficit is due mostly to the gigantic tax cut
    legislation and Iraq spending--two things Congress and the president
    want to make worse, not better.

  * The Republican budget gives the wealthiest Americans permanent tax
    breaks, while cutting programs for the middle class and poor.

  * The Republican budget would make gigantic cuts in health
    care--especially for Medicaid--which are unconscionable. Medicaid
    principally serves two groups: senior citizens and the working poor.
    Most seniors in nursing homes count on Medicaid.

  * The Republican budget slashes education funding, especially funds for
    middle class and low-income Americans. The budget leaves out the
    needed funding for No Child Left Behind and funds to help
    moderate-income Americans afford college. Pell Grants are dramatically
    hurt in the budget.

These points are a good start, but speaking from your heart can be very
effective too. Please take just a few minutes today to write a letter to
the editor.

Thanks for all you do.

--Tom Matzzie, Eli Pariser and the MoveOn PAC Team
  Tuesday, March 15, 2005

P.S. Here are some resources on the budget.

Bush's Budget Lies by Robert Borosage in The Nation
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=657 

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities on this year's budget.
http://www.cbpp.org/budget-series.htm

PAID FOR BY MOVEON PAC

Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn PAC. To remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=5214-86329-MKcqLzphIWnP2KeYoMWqTQ