Subject: [extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Passing of the Torch

From: "Terry W. Colvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:33:54 -0700

Seeing the arrogant suppression of free thought by establishment
doctrine (even on this List), which is so common today - these
thoughts arise:-

It's becoming evident that cultures have their "day in the sun" -
when intellectual discovery and real science enables the building
of empire.

But it's also clear that each empire, once vested interests take
a grip on power, begins to suppress free inquiry. This heralds
collapse of empire - the torch will be taken up by a more
vigorous culture. And a more vigorous culture always _does_
appear, to begin again the search for intellectual and scientific
truth.

So we saw ancient China producing sound theoretical science 2,000
years ago.
["the astronomer Qi Meng is said to have promoted (or
rejuvenated) a cosmic theory that had the planets, the Sun and
stars floating freely in `infinite, empty space' and which said
these bodies were all `condensed from vapor'."]

Then, for a brief period when Greece was democratic and
"hands-on", the Ionians had real science, paving the way for
combined Greco-Roman empire. However the growth of usury and
aristocracy (eternal bedfellows) soon made science ridiculous in
Greece and non-existent in Rome.

Later Arab culture took up the Torch - "the lead, in this as in
all scientific matters, passed ... to the East for the millennium
400 to 1400 AD"
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Pi_through_the_ages.html#s64

After "dark age" culminating in the burning to death of Giordano
Bruno, Europe finally began thinking again and eventually stepped
into the breech. Western thought has lasted for little more than
300 years, and I fear its time is already passing.

Signs of Western decay? The sciences are now State monopolies
"owned" by vested interests who want no further progress
[privileged elites _never_ want progress - why would they?]. The
same elites control the media in the West, and indirectly
dominate establishment religion [know any christian bishops who
"live as the poor"?].

Who's going to take over the torch?

Correspondents from S. America, India, China and the Pacific Rim
seem more motivated by intellectual honesty than are most western
academics today [exceptions are maybe Penrose, Barrow, Smolin and
a few others].

And there are many cultures with more vigor than seems to exist
in a West increasingly dumbed-down and controlled by ignorant,
arrogant men-in-suits.

It might be a close thing but I personally think it's between
India, Japan and China, with China perhaps looking a bit
healthier.

So, if you want honest research (fortean or otherwise) - maybe
start learning Mandarin.

cheers
Ray D

-- 
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1@m... >
Alternate: < fortean1@m... >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program
------------
Member: Thailand-Laos-Cambodia Brotherhood (TLCB) Mailing List
TLCB Web Site: < http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org > [Southeast Asia
veterans, Allies, CIA/NSA, and "steenkeen" contractors are welcome.]
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat