Subject: Re: [AthofSV] wedding officiant

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:31:18 EDT

Here are 2 local Atheist wedding officiants.
Jim Heldberg
 
Kate Talbot, California Marriages, San Mateo, 650-571-5555, 
[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) 
Roseanne Allen, Richmond, 510-412-3386, [email-masked] 
(mailto:[email-masked]) 
 
========================

My  fiancee and I are getting married in August.  We would like to have
a  secular ceremony, but are having trouble thinking of somebody  to
officiate.  Does anybody have any good suggestions of a  non-religious
person who can be used to officiate a  wedding?

Thanks,

-tduffy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:14:10 EDT

See the local Unitarian people....or a justice of the  peace......

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:12:33 EDT

If you live in California, you might try your county Clerk-Recorder's Office.
Following is from the Alameda County website.

Marriages Performed By A Person Chosen By The Couple, Not Clergy or Judges
 Couples with a valid license may choose to have a friend or relative of 
their choice deputized to perform their marriage. To make arrangements to have 
such a person deputized as a "One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner, Without 
Compensation", the person making the request should address a letter to:
 Patrick O'Connell
Alameda County Clerk-Recorder
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607

The person to be deputized must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen.
 The letter, which may come from the person to be deputized, bride or groom, 
should include the following information:
 Name, Address, and Phone Number of the Bride and the Groom
Date and place (address and city) of the Wedding
County where marriage license was/or will be purchased
Name, Address and Phone Number of the person to be deputized.
 There is a $50.00 charge for this service. No appointments are set nor 
packets mailed prior to receipt of the request and payment. This process is done by 
appointment only. No walk-in's will be accepted at any time. Upon receipt of 
the letter, a call will be made to book an appointment for the deputization. 
At the appointed time and date, the person being deputized will come to 1106 
Madison Street, 1st Floor. He/She will report to the information desk to inform 
the clerk that he/she has an appointment to be deputized as a one-time 
marriage commissioner.

If he/she can't come into the Recorder's Office, a Notary Packet may be 
requested. He/she should to mail the original notarized form to the Recorder's 
Office, at least one week before the wedding. Upon receipt of the notarized form 
we will sign off, record, and mail a copy to the Bride and Groom to have for 
their records. It is recommended that couples send their requests a minimum of 
2-3 weeks before the wedding date (the sooner, the better). For additional 
information contact our Customer Service unit at 1-888-280-7708.

Sandy