Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Hello from a newbie

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:03:20 -0400

Bob~~

Welcome Aboard!!... from a fellow '83 owner.  You're way ahead of me though... mine hasn't been splashed yet... so I haven't heard that infamous cable hum yet... but the day is coming soon. I'm in the last stages of refinishing the teak that I took off last fall and then I can get to puting her back together again and finishing a few other necessary projects.

Fair winds in Iowa,

-- 
Dan Schafer
Traverse City, MI
"SeaBatical"
1983 Swing Keel~#11577
http://webpages.charter.net/seabatical

"Bob Ferguson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I'm a new and proud owner of a 1983 C-22 swing keel and have been
>lurking on this list for a little while now.  The discussions have been
>really interesting and informative, so thanks in advance to all of you
>with more experience than I have.  This C-22 is a big step up for
>me...my previous boats have been much smaller (an M-16 and an O'Day 19),
>so I have some learning to do.
> 
>I've had the boat in the water for a couple of weeks now (Spring came
>early to northwest Iowa) and a couple of questions have come up
>already:
> 
>1.  There seems to be no provision on my boom for an outhaul...don't
>know how the previous owner handled that.  There is a cheek block
>mounted near the aft end, but it's not far enough back to do any good
>for the outhaul, and there's no cleat on that side of the mast, so the
>block must be intended as a part of the furling system.  All I'm doing
>now is tensioning the foot of the mainsail by hand and tying it off to
>the eye at the back of the mast which the topping lift attaches to...not
>a good system.  Also, there's no band painted on the boom, so I'm not
>sure how far aft the main should normally be pulled to.
> 
>2.  I was sailing last evening w/ the main and jib fully deployed and
>the wind at 10-12 mph, and I had some noticable lee helm, especially
>when close hauled.  That was only the 2nd or 3rd time I've sailed the
>boat, but I'm sure there was a bit of weather helm on the earlier
>occasions
> 
>3.  How to I get rid of that annoying cable hum?
> 
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.  
> 
>Bob Ferguson
>

__________________________________________________________________
Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups.
Download now at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Ken G. Brown\(w\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:33:20 -0600

Hi,

You are not alone as a newbie.
I've had my first ever sailboat, a 1988 out only four times so far, last
season. Still have a few trailer and mast raising mods to get finished this
spring before it gets wet.

   Ken
   --
   Ken G. Brown, Leduc, ALberta, Canada
   1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764

---

From: "W. Bell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:00:45 -0400

FYI  ..  a lesson i have learned the hard way.  On your trailer 
(especially if sailing in salt water) make sure to rinse it off really 
well.  And once dry, spray oil in the springs (before it gets wet and 
after)  I  still end up replacing the springs way too often.  And don't 
forget to remove the lug nuts every so often and grease them when you 
put it back together.  Bearing buddies are our friends too....

Enjoy sailing it is a great sport.  Nothing better than a nice quiet 
sail with your favorite libation and toons softly playing in the back 
ground.  Ahh ... i can hear Jimmy now......  my mind just went back to 
the islands.  What a great thought.

--Bill
Pt. Orange, FL
87 swing keel

---

From: "PHILIP KWASINSKI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:02:17 -0500

-Philip Chicago "Do Wa Diddy" 10523

>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Hello from a newbie
>Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:03:20 -0400
>
>Bob~~
>
>Welcome Aboard!!... from a fellow '83 owner.  You're way ahead of me 
>though... mine hasn't been splashed yet... so I haven't heard that infamous 
>cable hum yet... but the day is coming soon. I'm in the last stages of 
>refinishing the teak that I took off last fall and then I can get to puting 
>her back together again and finishing a few other necessary projects.
>
>Fair winds in Iowa,
>
>--
>Dan Schafer
>Traverse City, MI
>"SeaBatical"
>1983 Swing Keel~#11577

A few loosening cranks on the Keel winch will eliminate the annoying hum. 
You might want to check the Harken site for rigging suggestions for the 
outhaul and such. Regarding lee helm you probably need more mast rack (top 
of mast to move aft) by loosening forestay and forward lowers and tighten 
the rear stay.

Philip Chicago 10523