Subject: [TechRepublic] Questions and answers about server consolidation

From: "CIO Exchange at TechRepublic.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

TechRepublic
http://techrepublic.com.com

Presents your 
CIO EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER for April 26, 2005

<---------------Advertisement--------------->

IT Managers, don't recreate the wheel! 

Make better use of your time. Leverage the grassroots advice and 
proven time-saving templates collected in TechRepublic's IT 
Manager's Tool Kit, Third Edition. Proven peer-authored 
recommendations and over 30 customizable tools cover a variety 
of management topics to help you overcome financial, staffing, 
project management, disaster planning and other technology 
challenges. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142376-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

<------------------------------------------->

AUDIOCAST: ITIL BEST PRACTICES STUDY RESULTS

Find out who's adopting IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) best
practices and who isn't during this live audiocast, in which
we'll explore the results of a recent study of ITIL adoption
in large enterprises. This Computer Associates-sponsored Web 
event will be held Wed., April 27th at 1:00 PM ET/10:00 AM PT.
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142369-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------
 
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT SERVER CONSOLIDATION 
 
Server sprawl is a legitimate concern for a number of reasons, and you 
can make a cost argument for a smaller number of more powerful servers 
independent of the hardware cost: They can save money in terms of 
power, service agreements, and even the cost of physical space. 
However, there is the related question of performance growth in your 
servers. Does it make better sense to have a larger number of cheap, 
commodity servers or a smaller number of higher-end, more powerful 
servers? According to TechRepublic member WAYNE M., "Consolidation, 
like anything else, must be analyzed for its true costs and benefits." 
What do you think? Take a look at this discussion about server 
consolidation. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142370-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

CONSOLIDATING THE IT INFRASTRUCTURE 
Volatility is now a permanent feature of business life. So although 
change is normal, the growing - and increasingly technology-driven - 
speed and unpredictability of change have pushed many enterprises to 
the very limits of manageability. One technology-driven strategy for 
delivering business value quickly and reliably is Oracle's innovative 
solution for server consolidation using hardware containing either 
Intel Xeon MP or Itanium 2 processors. This strategy is based on 
Oracle's Real Application Clusters technology, which permits 
consolidation of email, files and messaging, and aggregation of 
applications through a portal framework to meet increasing market 
demands. This paper outlines in detail that solutions and how it can 
aid corporations looking to decrease IT costs. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142371-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

BUSINESS IMPACT ANALYSIS FORM 
When disaster strikes, how fast will you be able to determine how your 
business is affected? Before something happens, use this form to 
determine your organization's ability to keep the business running in 
an emergency. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142372-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------ 
------------------------------------------
 
NEW AT TECHREPUBLIC 
 
DOWNLOAD: THE TOP TEN PEEVES OF A SUPPORT TECH 
If you've spent even a little time in the tech support biz, you're 
bound to have a list of special aggravations that drive you crazy on a 
semi-regular basis. Check out these scenarios from veteran IT pro Becky 
Roberts, and see if her list of annoyances matches yours. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142373-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

FIND OUT WHY WIRELESS NETWORK SECURITY DESERVES MORE SCRUTINY 
The FBI recently demonstrated how easily someone can break Wired 
Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption and gain access to a secured 
network. In light of this announcement, Jonathan Yarden's taking the 
opportunity to examine the critical role that security plays in 
wireless technology and offer some suggestions for locking down your 
wireless network. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142374-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

DOWNLOAD: PROJECT RISK FACTORS CHECKLIST 
Many projects have inherent risks that can wreak havoc if left 
unmanaged. This checklist, updated for better usability, will help you 
assess and minimize the risk potential for your project and head off 
potential problems. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142375-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------

White Papers from our partners

Customer-Centric CRM: Fully Optimizing CRM (RightNow Technologies)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142377-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

NASDAQ Posts Big Gains with HP Information Lifecycle Management
Solution (Hewlett-Packard)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142378-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Antivirus Software and Disk Fragmentation (Executive Software)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=142379-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Attaining Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance (Hewlett-Packard)
http://itpapers.techrepublic.com/abstract.aspx?docid=123014&promo=3051 
 
------------------------------------------ 

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE CIO ISSUES NEWSLETTER! 

This newsletter offers targeted information that is essential to 
the C-level manager's success, as well as downloadable tools for
making IT management duties and decisions easier. You'll also
receive HR best practices and leadership tips. Click the link 
below to automatically subscribe!
http://nl.com.com/one_click_signup?email=[email-masked]&list_id=e125&id=30765961&tag=nl.one-click

------------------------------------------ 
 
To unsubscribe from this mailing list: 
http://ct.com.com/click?q=2f-hJCFzInnFVb3r_Kz16E48vwLrMpfyPBVG9RR 

To update your TechRepublic e-mail subscriptions or unsubscribe from  
all TechRepublic e-mail lists: 
http://nl.com.com/acct_mgmt.jsp?brand=techrepublic  

Questions or comments: 
http://techrepublic.com.com/2001-6705-0.html  

Visit TechRepublic 
http://techrepublic.com.com/  

Copyright 2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. 
TechRepublic is a registered trademark of CNET Networks, Inc.
CNET Networks, Inc. 
235 Second Street 
San Francisco, CA 94105 
U.S.A.