Subject: CIO Enterprise: Secrets Behind Business Intelligence Success

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:59:26 -0500 (EST)

March 16, 2005

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
Covering ERP, CRM, KM and Security 
In the pages of CIO Magazine and CIO.com

1. Business Intelligence: Where It Works
2. Governance: A Higher Power
3. Beneath the Buzz: Governance 
4. IT Strategy Blog: Why Governance Is Essential
5. From the Editor: Alignment Is Dead; Long Live Convergence

------------------------SPONSOR-------------------------
This issue of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Lumigent

"COMPLIANCE TRENDS" WEBINAR MARCH 30, 2005: After initial
audits under Sarbanes-Oxley, we can expect refinements in
enforcement. Join Robert Frances Group and Lumigent for
recommendations on the next wave of requirements. We will
present a framework for compliance, emerging IT strategies,
and why database auditing is a critical component.

For more info:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2630&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE
1. Where It Works
Hardee's Monster Thickburger was introduced after the 
company's business intelligence system indicated the 
1,400-calorie burger would sell well, despite Americans' 
preoccupation with weight. It was right. In most cases, BI 
systems have been dreary failures, but not in the restaurant 
industry. There, the payoffs have been significant. What are 
they doing right? What have you been doing wrong?
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2627&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

** From the archives: Check the restaurant industry's 
success against CIO magazine's last progress report on BI a 
year and a half ago. "Business Intelligence Gets Smart(er)" 
reports on retailers' forays into BI. The main lesson: Go 
for the easy payoff.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2628&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

GOVERNANCE
2. A Higher Power
When State Street acquired a Deutsche Bank company, it had 
to decide whether to keep or retire more than 900 inherited 
applications. The guiding force that helped it do that was 
governance. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2604&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

3. Beneath the Buzz 
Does governance mean ethics? control? resource allocation? 
something else? Columnist Dean Meyer says it could be all 
of the above--and it can all be handled by a systemic 
approach. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2406&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

4. Why IT Governance Is Essential
In a recent blog entry, "Chicken and Egg," CIO's Chis Koch 
says all the excitement about enterprise architecture will 
go to waste if good IT governance isn't in place first.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2605&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

5. Alignment Is Dead; Long Live Convergence 
CIO's Editor Rick Pastore reports that the buzz at CIO's 
most recent conference was all about convergence. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=2629&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

Thank you for reading the CIO Enterprise Newsletter!

Sandy Kendall
Web Editor 
[email-masked]

Add CIO Enterprise Newsletter's sending address to your 
spam filter so you don't miss a copy.
[email-masked]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-CIO.com Services-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Apply Now! CIO magazine is accepting applications online
for our 14th Annual CIO Enterprise Value Awards. If your
company has developed an innovative IT system that has
created real value for your business, we'd like to hear
from you. The deadline for applying is April 15, 2005.

For details about this year's competition and past winners,
or to get an application, visit:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1415&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

************ IT Productivity Domain ************
The IT Productivity Domain provides you with
everything you need to assess, measure and improve
IT productivity: white papers, books, research,
benchmarking tools and much more. Find it at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1064&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

Visit the CIO Store
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=220&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*****************************************************
You are receiving this issue of the CIO Enterprise because
you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your profile, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1284&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

If you would like to receive this update, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1285&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter,
please contact Michael McPhee at [email-masked].

CIO's online privacy policy is posted at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=9438328&s=2&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2005. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc is located at 492 Old Conn. Path, PO Box 9208, 
Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Rupal Patel at
[email-masked] **