Subject: [extropy-chat] Brain-Implanted Chips Allow Control of Technology

From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:29:23 +0200

Slashdot<http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/31/170240&from=rss>: 
The Guardian has an article about implanting electrodes in the
brain<http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1448140,00.html>,
allowing paralyzed people to control various software-integrated devices, 
such as the cursor on a computer and the channel and volume of his 
television. From the article: 'The experiment took place a few months ago as 
part of a broader trial into what are known in the business as 
brain-computer interfaces. Although it is early days, aficionados of the 
technology see a world where brain implants return ability to those with 
disability, allowing them to control all manner of devices by thought 
alone.'" The BBC has coverage of
this<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4396387.stm>as well, and we've
mentioned<http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/19/041212&tid=126>this
research<http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/18/2111225&tid=191>before.
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat