Subject: [Immortality_Club_40271] OT IQ

From: "chrisclub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:32:26 -0000

Public release date: 25-Apr-2005
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

Contact: Prof. J. P. Rushton
[email-masked]
519-661-3685
Charles Darwin Research Institute 

Black-White-East Asian IQ differences at least 50% genetic, major law 
review journal concludes
A 60-page review of the scientific evidence, some based on state-of-
the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain size, has concluded 
that race differences in average IQ are largely genetic. The lead 
article in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy and Law, 
a journal of the American Psychological Association, examined 10 
categories of research evidence from around the world to contrast "a 
hereditarian model (50% genetic-50% cultural) and a culture-only 
model (0% genetic-100% cultural)." 
The paper, "Thirty Years of Research on Race Differences in Cognitive 
Ability," by J. Philippe Rushton of the University of Western Ontario 
and Arthur R. Jensen of the University of California at Berkeley, 
appeared with a positive commentary by Linda Gottfredson of the 
University of Delaware, three critical ones (by Robert Sternberg of 
Yale University, Richard Nisbett of the University of Michigan, and 
Lisa Suzuki & Joshua Aronson of New York University), and the 
authors' reply. 

"Neither the existence nor the size of race differences in IQ are a 
matter of dispute, only their cause," write the authors. The Black-
White difference has been found consistently from the time of the 
massive World War I Army testing of 90 years ago to a massive study 
of over 6 million corporate, military, and higher-education test-
takers in 2001. 

"Race differences show up by 3 years of age, even after matching on 
maternal education and other variables," said Rushton. "Therefore 
they cannot be due to poor education since this has not yet begun to 
exert an effect. That's why Jensen and I looked at the genetic 
hypothesis in detail. We examined 10 categories of evidence." 

1. The Worldwide Pattern of IQ Scores. East Asians average higher on 
IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ 
tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the 
world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, 
about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan 
Africa. 

2. Race Differences are Most Pronounced on Tests that Best Measure 
the General Intelligence Factor (g). Black-White differences, for 
example, are larger on the Backward Digit Span test than on the less 
g loaded Forward Digit Span test. 

3. The Gene-Environment Architecture of IQ is the Same in all Races, 
and Race Differences are Most Pronounced on More Heritable Abilities. 
Studies of Black, White, and East Asian twins, for example, show the 
heritability of IQ is 50% or higher in all races. 

4. Brain Size Differences. Studies using magnetic resonance imaging 
(MRI) find a correlation of brain size with IQ of about 0.40. Larger 
brains contain more neurons and synapses and process information 
faster. Race differences in brain size are present at birth. By 
adulthood, East Asians average 1 cubic inch more cranial capacity 
than Whites who average 5 cubic inches more than Blacks. 

5. Trans-Racial Adoption Studies. Race differences in IQ remain 
following adoption by White middle class parents. East Asians grow to 
average higher IQs than Whites while Blacks score lower. The 
Minnesota Trans-Racial Adoption Study followed children to age 17 and 
found race differences were even greater than at age 7: White 
children, 106; Mixed-Race children, 99; and Black children, 89. 

6. Racial Admixture Studies. Black children with lighter skin, for 
example, average higher IQ scores. In South Africa, the IQ of the 
mixed-race "Colored" population averages 85, intermediate to the 
African 70 and White 100. 

7. IQ Scores of Blacks and Whites Regress toward the Averages of 
Their Race. Parents pass on only some exceptional genes to offspring 
so parents with very high IQs tend to have more average children. 
Black and White children with parents of IQ 115 move to different 
averages--Blacks toward 85 and Whites to 100. 

8. Race Differences in Other "Life-History" Traits. East Asians and 
Blacks consistently fall at two ends of a continuum with Whites 
intermediate on 60 measures of maturation, personality, reproduction, 
and social organization. For example, Black children sit, crawl, 
walk, and put on their clothes earlier than Whites or East Asians. 

9. Race Differences and the Out-of-Africa theory of Human Origins. 
East Asian-White-Black differences fit the theory that modern humans 
arose in Africa about 100,000 years ago and expanded northward. 
During prolonged winters there was evolutionary selection for higher 
IQ created by problems of raising children, gathering and storing 
food, gaining shelter, and making clothes. 

10. Do Culture-Only Theories Explain the Data? Culture-only theories 
do not explain the highly consistent pattern of race differences in 
IQ, especially the East Asian data. No interventions such as ending 
segregation, introducing school busing, or "Head Start" programs have 
reduced the gaps as culture-only theory would predict. 

In their article, Rushton and Jensen also address some of the policy 
issues that stem from their conclusions. Their main recommendation is 
that people be treated as individuals, not as members of groups. They 
emphasized that their paper pertains only to average differences. 
They also called for the need to accurately inform the public about 
the true nature of individual and group differences, genetics and 
evolutionary biology. 

Rushton and Jensen are well-known for research on racial differences 
in intelligence. Jensen hypothesized a genetic basis for Black-White 
IQ differences in his 1969 Harvard Educational Review article. His 
later books Bias in Mental Tests (1980) and The g Factor (1998), as 
well as Rushton's (1995) Race, Evolution, and Behavior, show that 
tests are not biased against English speaking minorities and that 
Black-White-East Asian differences in brain size and IQ belong in an 
evolutionary framework. 

###
J. Philippe Rushton, Department of Psychology, University of Western 
Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C2, Canada. Tel: 519-661-3685; Email: 
[email-masked] 

Arthur R. Jensen, School of Education, University of California at 
Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94305. Email: [email-masked] 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/iOEolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Immortality_Club_40271/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/