Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Aft Shape of Sail

From: "PHILIP KWASINSKI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:51:14 -0600

Thats the difference between an open and a closed leech. A closed leech does 
not spill air and is created by either vang pressure and/or mainsheet 
tension. An open leech is created by both of those being eased. An open 
leech is good for depowering when winds are very strong and also to prevent 
the sail from stalling in light wind.

-Philip Chicago "Do Wa Diddy" 10523

>From: "Dana Shields" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [Catalina22] Aft Shape of Sail
>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:48:29 -0500
>
>I've got a basic C22 sail question: I noticed that on most pictures of 
>C22's, the leech of the sail is straight from head to clew; however, on 
>still others, it will curve outward (convex in shape).
>
>Is there a specific way of ordering sails that would determine the aft 
>shape of the sail?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:20:51 EST

Most of this leech shape is induced by the boom and outhaul.
 
A tight boom vang will tighten the leech.  A loose boom vang with  either a 
tight topping lift or a properly installed boom kicker that lifts the  boom 
will loosen the leech, or put a curve into it.
 
A tight outhaul can also tighten the leech, just as a loose outhaul will  
loosen the leech. although not to the extent of a vang and topping lift and boom  
kicker.
 
Luff (or halyard) tension could conceivably effect leech tension as well,  
but it is negligible.
 
When sailing very close hauled with the traveler to weather, and the boom  
almost amidships, the main sheet may also tighten the leech slightly, but again  
this is negligible.
 
Also, moving the traveler to lee, can induce some twist into the main which  
would make the leech appear curved.
 
I am just giving very brief concepts here.  A discussion on sail  controls 
would be extensive.
 
Bayard Gross
C-22 #9911
Baby Blue
Greenwich, CT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:14:43 EST

Dana,

Would you please elaborate concerning obvious differences in  the afore 
mentioned sails!

>You will see a big difference in the leech  looking at Dennis Slaton's main 
(Gus, is it?) and mine (Waters).  The shape  reflects two ideas about sail 
making.  A discussion of major proportions  could insue.  
 
Rich Magner
SeTherin #9472
Glastonbury, CT