Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Chiefs and Indians

From: Mike Lorrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:29:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Damien Broderick <[email-masked]> wrote:
> At 08:28 AM 5/5/2005 -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> 
> 
> >I like the motto of that guild club in Damien's "The White Abacus":
> >"Every Sen a Chief, None An Indian".
> 
> Well, yeah, but that was a parody on featherbedding unions and staff
> who self-righteously ignore customers while painting their own
> nails. :)

True, but the point still stands: individual liberty erodes because
serfs, once liberated, generally never learn to be sovereign, they
retain serf mindsets, pass that on to their kin, and generally are more
comfortable in the security that government provides than the liberty
that being a free sovereign demands.

Much like the lack of private charity that occurs in socialist
countries vs the vast amount in free countries, serfs automatically
assume that sovereigns are haughty and self-rigteous with each other
because serfs are treated thusly, but the reverse is true: a sovereign
knows that other sovereigns have ultima ratio regum, and thus
politeness, cordiality, and eagerness to do each other service is the
standard of behavior between sovereign equals.

Mike Lorrey
Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806) 
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

Discover Yahoo! 
Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out! 
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat