Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Casimir Torque Project

From: Adrian Tymes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:32:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rik van Riel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I guess if your experiment doesn't work, we might need to
> reformulate how the Casimir effect works.  Sounds like an
> experiment that's guaranteed to have something interesting
> as its outcome ;)

Exactly.  If it goes one way, we have something that's not quite a
perpetual motion machine but comes close.  If we don't get that, we've
shined a light on a significant misunderstanding of quantum mechanics.
It's worth doing either way.

(And then there's the nanostructuring on top of that, which is
apparently more needed than I thought.  Maybe they're thinking there's
a good chance I'll take the skills I use on this project and develop
molecular manufacturing or something. *shrugs*)
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:50:03 +0200

> molecular manufacturing or something. *shrugs*)

So you're going to tackle molecular manufacturing right after you're done
with perpetuum mobile. Cool. Drop us a line when you're done.

Kidding aside, have you considered functionalizing your MEMS/NEMS? You'd have
to do wet chemistry for that, though, too.  

Right now I'm still betting on bucky, especially given indium electromigration
pump/oscillator and scaled down direct writing (monomer/organic electronics; via dip-pen
lithography).

-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144            http://www.leitl.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
http://moleculardevices.org         http://nanomachines.net
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat