Subject: [extropy-chat] good news for women

From: Damien Broderick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:08:46 -0600

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,12519357,00.html

Fetal test takes needle blues away
Clara Pirani, Medical reporter
12mar05

SCIENTISTS have developed an alternative test to the amniocentesis 
procedure which means older women will be able to avoid one of the most 
invasive and stressful moments of pregnancy.

A routine Pap smear taken at six weeks' gestation can detect the same fetal 
abnormalities - such as cystic fibrosis and Down syndrome - as an 
amniocentesis.

Australian researchers believe the Pap smear using DNA technology can 
replace the diagnostic procedure that is performed by inserting a hollow 
needle through the abdominal wall into the uterus at 18 weeks.

The new test also avoids the 1 per cent risk of miscarriage the 
amniocentesis procedure carries. "It's certainly less frightening for women 
than having a big needle inserted into their belly," lead researcher Ian 
Findlay said.

"This test is really going to revolutionise pre-clinical diagnosis as we 
know it," said Professor Findlay, chief scientific officer at Gribbles 
Molecular Science in Brisbane.

"It has several advantages because it's done at six weeks instead of the 
amniocentesis that is done at 18 weeks.

"It's been tried on several hundred women over the last year, with 100 per 
cent accuracy."

Last year, about 9000 women in Australia had an amniocentesis, which is 
recommended for pregnant women over the age of 35.

Professor Findlay's test, which can be performed by a GP, uses DNA 
fingerprinting to screen fetal cells taken during Pap smears. "Women living 
in remote and regional towns won't need to go to a major city for the test 
because the GP can do the test ... and you can get the results back in 24 
hours."

Professor Findlay said the DNA technology was discovered about 20 years ago 
but had never been applied to fetal cells.

"We're hoping that we can launch the service by the middle of this year, 
but that will depend on getting the many more samples for this clinical 
trial."

Melbourne IVF chairman John McBain said the procedure was a breakthrough in 
clinical testing.

"This is absolutely original, groundbreaking work.

"There's no risk of fetal loss and it's done very early."

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: MB <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:44:44 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

What a fine thing! Very impressive. The very idea of having a big
needle thrust into any part of me makes me want to puke. I cannot
imagine having one inserted into my belly! (shudder)

Regards,
MB

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Damien Broderick wrote:

> amniocentesis.  [...]