Subject: [AthofSV] BREAKING from AANEWS - Atheists win big in Idaho!

From: "cgastbook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 02:10:29 -0000

>From AANEWS, Wednesday, 5/4/05

Breaking...

   ATHEISTS WIN BIG IN IDAHO: STATE CANNOT DISCRIMINATE IN FAVOR  OF 
CHRISTIAN GROUPS, DAY OF PRAYER PERMIT

A U.S.  District Court Judge ruled earlier today that the State of
Idaho could not deny a permit to Atheists wishing to hold a "Day of
Equality" rally on the steps of the state capitol building, and
instead allow a National Day of Prayer event to take place even though
the Atheists reserved the space first.

Supported by American Atheists, the Idaho Atheists and AA State
Director Susan Harrington sued Governor Dirk Kempthorne and state
facilities manager Tom Mason arguing that the state had violated the
constitution when it cancelled the IA reservation for tomorrow's
event.

It all started when Harrington noticed that the scheduling calendar
for May 5 -- the National Day of Prayer, which has included a
religious rally on the capitol steps -- was blank.  She promptly
scheduled the Idaho Day of Equality for the venue.  Mr. Mason,
however, later realized that while his office "routinely" scheduled
the NDOP for that time, the Atheists were there first.  He then
cancelled the Idaho Atheists reservation.

Backed by American Atheists, Harrington and the Idaho Atheists went
into federal court, arguing that they were victims of state-sponsored
religious discrimination.

"Government state facilities officials have intervened and stated that
it was their mistake and that our Atheist group must give up our spot
we legally obtained in order to give preference to a religious group,"
Harrington said in a statement to reporters.  "Even though the
National Day of Prayer event wasn't scheduled when we made our
reservations, even though we had been assured that we were following
the guidelines, and even though the National Day of Prayer people were
going to move their event inside, the state is saying that we Atheists
cannot hold our event on the front steps and that we have to move to
the side steps."

Harrington added that Governor Kempthorne "must set a standard of
inclusiveness and neutrality with respect to religious opinion or
practice.  Religious opinion is a person matter, and the government
has no business implying that Atheists are second-class citizens
because they don't believe in gods."

According to news reports, though, Kempthorne -- who issued an
official proclamation in support of the National Day of Prayer event
-- is "disappointed" in the judge's decision which upheld fairness and
the separation of church and state.  He grumbled to reporters, "I will
take part in the National Day of Prayer event, no matter where it is
held, because of my own belief in the importance of prayer -- not to
make a political statement."

He also said that "attempts to accommodate the Idaho Atheists, by
offering them a very similar venue on the same day and at the same
time, were rejected."

For further information:

http://www.atheists.org/id
(Office of the Idaho State Director, American Atheists)

AANEWS is a free publication available from American Atheists.  For 
more information, and to subscribe, just visit 
http://www.atheists.org/id

(AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a nationwide movement that defends civil rights 
for Atheists; works for the total separation of church and state; and 
addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Mon-Thu 5/2-5/5 - Christian 'Truth' Forums at Stanford
Thu. 5/5, 11:15 - PROTEST of the National Day of Prayer, at SJ City Hall
Wed. 5/11, 7:30 - From One Heretic to Another: A Heresy Trial Report
Fri. 5/20, 7:00 - Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists, in SF
Sat,Sun 5/21,22 - Movie world premier: "The God Who Wasn't There", SF
Wed. 5/25, 7:30 - Women's Voice From the East: speech on Taslima Nasrin
Fri. 5/27, 7:30 - SV premier: "The God Who Wasn't There", at Stanford

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

Subscribe to Atheist News Service -
email [email-masked] with: name, address & phone #

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/