Subject: RE: [Catalina22]lifelines for sale

From: "Charlie Gjersvik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:03:11 -0600

Chip:

Have you tried bending them to vertical, or near vertical.  Granted you
don't want to risk ripping them out of the deck so you will need to take
them off first.  I'm wondering if you could put a piece of cardboard on
the deck (perpendicular to the rub rail) and then trace the line of the
stanchion and base on to it.  The base of the cardboard will be the deck
and you will mark the angle of the stanchion to the deck on it.  Next,
without moving the cardboard mark a vertical line with a level on the
cardboard, with the base of the line intersecting the stanchion base.
Remove the stanchion and bolt it to  a piece of heavy wood, slip a long
pipe over the stanchion and bend it until it matched you new template.
Just be careful not to bend low enough to break the weld on the support.
This advice is worth what you are paying for it ;>)

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL
 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW--What a Ride!"
~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~~ ~ ~

 -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dick King
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 12:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22]lifelines for sale

Hi Chip - In looking at the photos you provided, it appears that the
stanchions have been bent inboard, probably by some PO.  All the other
stanchions have been straight (perpendicular) to their bases.  Since the
deck slopes outward, so do the stanchions.

Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
A bad day sailing beats almost anything worth doing.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip Ford 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 6:35 AM
Subject: RE: [Catalina22]lifelines for sale

  Dennis, what are they off? I'm in the market for new
  lifelines, and as I plan to rebed Chip Ahoy's stanchions
  soon (I hope soon!), this might be a good time to replace
  them with stanchions that are perpendicular to the deck
  or slant outboard, instead of inboard like mine. I've never
  come across stanchions like mine, and when I asked on the
  list some time ago, neither had anyone else. There's little
  enough space on deck alongside the cabin without stanchions
  that lean inboard, further restricting movement. See:

  http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_10.htm
                  and
  http://chipford.com/graphics/04-06-21.jpg
  http://chipford.com/graphics/04_scit_01.jpg
  http://chipford.com/graphics/1014_16.jpg
  http://chipford.com/graphics/1014_17.jpg

  Yours don't lean inboard like mine, do they? If they don't,
  I'm interested. What shape is everything in?
  Chip Ford --
  Marblehead, Mass.
  781-639-9709
  1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
  Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com
  http://www.chipford.com/list_members.htm#Chip_Ford
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dennis Slaton
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22]lifelines for sale

List,
Got a set of lifelines and stanchions (4) for sail. 50 buck plus
shipping.
Dennis Slaton
Tar Baby #27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:53:48 -0700

My outboard is a Honda 9.9 and I hesitate to trailer with it on the 
transom even tho I have heard some people leave it on when going down 
the road, apparently successfully. I also do not relish the idea of 
leaving it in the boat rolling and bouncing around or lying on the 
floor of my camper, which I did the first time I trailered.

Does anyone have any good ideas on a good way to stow the motor for 
transport? I'm trying to think of some way to mount it securely on 
the trailer itself and out of the road grime but a good solution 
isn't coming to me yet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx
Ken
-- 
Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764

---

From: "Shaun Hoffmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:02:56 -0600

Ken, 

The is probably not the simple answer you are looking for, but I simply lay
the outboard motor on a tarp either on the sole of the cockpit or in the
back of my SUV.   Be sure to run all the gas out of the motor before
trailering though!

Anyhow, usually when I put the motor inside the truck it is to give my
trailer weight less drag.  

Shaun Hoffmann
C22-359 "C-MONSTER"
www.c-monster.net
Lewisville, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ken G. Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

Thx
Ken

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Charlie Gjersvik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:03:29 -0600

Ken:

	I used a ratchet strap and cranked the motor mount up and as
high and tight as it would go to the boat.  The ends were secured to the
stern cleats (make sure they are well attached first) with one wrap
around the motor.  Never had a problem with this set up.

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Ken G. Brown

Thx
Ken

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Jeffrey L. Conley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:13:32 -0500

What is your tow vehicle?

Jeff Conley
Marietta, GA
#10070 1981
Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ken G. Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

Thx
Ken

---

From: "Charlie Gjersvik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:25:23 -0600

Oh Oh... The dreaded "run all the fuel out of the motor debate."

This winter I converted my long shaft outboard to an extra long shaft
(25"), and bought Seloc's Johnson repair manual.  Their advice was not
to run the outboard out of fuel because in those final moments when the
pistons are still moving there is no fuel there is no oil either.  OMC's
advice was to drain the float chamber manually and to use a stabilizer
in the fuel.  Their other comment was that gasoline now is a lot cleaner
so that the likelihood of varnish in the gas it less than when our boats
were built.

Charlie Gjersvik
SURPRISE Deux #81 (E-25)
Springfield, IL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Shaun Hoffmann
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

Ken, 

The is probably not the simple answer you are looking for, but I simply
lay the outboard motor on a tarp either on the sole of the cockpit or in
the
back of my SUV.   Be sure to run all the gas out of the motor before
trailering though!

Shaun Hoffmann
C22-359 "C-MONSTER"
www.c-monster.net
Lewisville, TX

-----Original Message-----

Thx
Ken

----

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:28:43 -0600

Charlie

Just another good reason to have a 39 pound motor.  :-D         I  take 
mine off and put it in the Hee-Hawler.  I will build a bracket on the 
trailer tongue sometime in the next few weeks just because I'd rather 
have the space inside clean and unobstructed.

I'm more concerned about road grime on my bottom than my motor!

BTW my Ex-UHaul gets better milage pulling the boat than it does without 
it!  Could this be true?  My milage went down 3/10ths of a mile per 
gallon on a long trip without the boat and trailer.  But I did cruise 
3-5 mph faster on this trip.  I think I may be getting into trouble 
recognizing trucks and truck drivers I have seen in other Flying J truck 
stops!  =-O

bob

-- 
Bob Keim
S/V The Pursuit, 1976 C22  #6195
Nashville, TN
http://usawaterways.com/svthepursuit.htm

---

From: "Javier Gras" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:10:21 -0600

I've thought of mounting a 2x8" or 2x10" (horizontally, and in line) to the
trailer's bow support, just on the other side of the spare tire (sorry no
pics).
This should be strong enough for the vertical and horizontal forces that the
motor would receive while trailering, and would transfer the weight from the
transom to the tongue. It would get in the way of the support wheel, but
I'll see by how much

I do however have an '85 suzuki 4hp that weighs around 50 lbs at most, so a
9.9 may need more bracing.

Good luck

Javier Gras
#13125
Dallas TX

Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:17:20 -0700

I have a 1978 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with camper.
Pics from last fall when I first trailered the boat at:
http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum1.html
http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum2.html
    Ken

>What is your tow vehicle?
<>

---

From: "Dick King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:11:24 -0500

Ken - A friend of mine has the perfect solution.  He moves his big outboard 
from the motor mount on the transom, to one he built at the bow support of 
his trailer.  This serves several ends. First, the weight of the motor is 
added to, rather than subtracted from the tongue weight of the trailer. 
Second, the motor is more securely mounted to the trailer, rather than the 
transom or the old motor mount.  Finally, the stout chain he uses to secure 
it goes to the substantial bow support tubing instead of the less 
substantial motor mount or traveller bar.

Dick King
Melbourne, FL
7976 Jagged Edge
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:53 PM
Subject: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

| My outboard is a Honda 9.9 and I hesitate to trailer with it on the
| transom even tho I have heard some people leave it on when going down
| the road, apparently successfully. I also do not relish the idea of
| leaving it in the boat rolling and bouncing around or lying on the
| floor of my camper, which I did the first time I trailered.
|
| Does anyone have any good ideas on a good way to stow the motor for
| transport? I'm trying to think of some way to mount it securely on
| the trailer itself and out of the road grime but a good solution
| isn't coming to me yet.
|
| Any suggestions appreciated.
|
| Thx
| Ken
| -- 
| Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
| 1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764
|
|
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
| www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm
|

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:24:16 -0700

Speaking of road grime etc. on the bottom, what do people do to 
protect the bottom of the boat from bouncing gravel while trailering? 
There always seems to be some gravel I would need to drive on, if 
only the 3 miles or so I need to do to get home.
    Ken

At 3:28 PM -0600 on 3/15/05,  Bob Keim is rumored to have written:
>Charlie
>Just another good reason to have a 39 pound motor.  :-D         I 
>take mine off and put it in the Hee-Hawler.  I will build a bracket 
>on the trailer tongue sometime in the next few weeks just because 
>I'd rather have the space inside clean and unobstructed.
>
>BTW my Ex-UHaul gets better milage pulling the boat than it does 
>without it!  Could this be true?  My milage went down 3/10ths of a 
>mile per gallon on a long trip without the boat and trailer.  But I 
>did cruise 3-5 mph faster on this trip.  I think I may be getting 
>into trouble recognizing trucks and truck drivers I have seen in 
>other Flying J truck stops!  =-O
>
>bob
<>

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:30:19 -0700

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of constructing a mount somewhere 
near the bow too. Don't have a spare at the moment but I suppose I 
need to get one of those too. And thinking about that, I noticed my 
trailer tires are the proper type for trailers but their max load is 
indicated at 1870 which seems a little close to the actual weight for 
my single axle. What tire load ratings are normally recommended for 
the trailer?
    Ken

<>

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:32:16 -0700

Sounds good, that's kinda what I'm thinking too. Any chance for pictures?
   Ken

<>

---

From: "Greg Rohde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:10:48 -0800

Ken,

I just spent part of the afternoon today at a reputable tire shop and
decided to purchased some. Mine were in OK shape. They told me I could go
another season , but they had some cracks on the sidewalls, their age is
unknown to me, I have no spare, and I'm pretty much at max weight with my
boat at 2250 lbs and the trailer at 750 lbs. So my thinking was I'll buy
new, get another rim from the wrecking yard (ford 14" 5 lug is what my
trail-rite has on em)and re-mount the best of my old tires for the spare. My
boat weighs in @ 2250 and my trailer @ 720 for a total of 2970. I don't like
traveling troubles and I live in the mountains (hot mountains) of
California. So I'm going the safe route. My old tires as well as the new are
6 ply Bias load range C rated at 1760 lbs. I could'nt get a D range 14".
Radials from what i've heard don't have as heavy a sidewall, so I stayed
with the original equip. While I was out I bought new bearings and races
which was my original plan for the day. The races were a bugger. Tomorrow I
put it all back together.
I'm 2 halyards, an outboard service, a shackle, and 2 clearance light
wirings away from the years first sail. I'm plenty anxious!

Greg Rohde
C22 Swing Keel
Criosaidh
Placerville, Ca

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ken G. Brown
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Transporting Outboard?

<>