Subject: SF Atheists News -- All Atheists Weekend, plus regular meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:12:40 EDT

San  Francisco Atheists 
Friendship  –  Learning  –  Action  /  Affiliated with American  Atheists 
POB  1741, Pacifica, CA, 94044  / www.SFAtheists.com 
Coordinator:  Jim Heldberg, 650-438-5661, [email-masked] 
Issues/Newsletter:  Jennifer Hallman / Treasurer: Adrienne Mowery / 
Webmaster: Lenny Maughan /  Action: David Fitzgerald 
Bay Area  Advisors: Larry Hicok, Mark Thomas, Richard Golden 
Senior  Advisor: Dave Kong, California Director for American Atheists, 
[email-masked]

ALL  ATHEIST WEEKEND – May 20-22 
Friday:  Ellen Johnson Speech and Dinner 
Saturday:  Movie Premiere 
Sunday:  Movie and Fitzgerald Speech 
Bring  Your Friends -- 5 Events

Ellen Johnson on  Madalyn O'Hair, 7PM May 20 
We  welcome Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists.  She will speak at 
7:00 PM Friday, May  20, at 595 Market Street, home of the Commonwealth Club. 
 Her talk, “Madalyn  O'Hair: What She Stood For and Why Her Ideas Matter Today
” will  feature rare archival footage and interviews with AA’s founder, once 
known as  “the most hated woman in America.”  This multimedia presentation 
has packed in audiences across the  country.  It is being presented FREE  by 
American Atheists, Bay Area Atheist clubs, and philanthropist Mark  Berger.  
Following Ellen's speech,  join us for “Dinner with Ellen” at Sotano’s, 550 
Powell Street near Bush.  Reservations $40 per person on special  form.  For info: 
 415-771-9872 

Film Premiere 1PM May  21 & 22 
Remember  David Fitzgerald's talk “10,000 Christs and the Evaporating Jesus”
?  Award-winning independent filmmaker  Brian Flemming used those ideas in his 
newest film “The  God Who Wasn't There.”  It earned thunderous applause at 
recent  conventions.  Were excited to  sponsor the world premiere of this 
controversial movie milestone.  Showings will be 1PM Saturday, May 21  and Sunday, 
May 22 at the Off-Market Theatre, 965 Mission, near 5th.  Tickets are just  
$10. 

“10,000  Christs” on May 22 
The 1PM  Sunday, May 22 showing of “The God Who Wasn't There” will be 
followed by Dave  Fitzgerald's well-known, insightful “10,000  Christs and the 
Evaporating Jesus.”  Audience questions  welcome. 

Thanks to  Everyone for Our Biggest Project 
Producing  this All-Atheist Weekend is our biggest project ever!  Special 
thanks to Amanda Jackson, Dave  Fitzgerald, Jennifer Hallman, Dave Kong, Lenny 
Maughan, and Adrienne  Mowery.

”Recovering  from Religion” by Dr. Marlene Winell 
Recovery  from religion is often difficult, involving joy, anger,  guilt,  
confusion, grief, anxiety, and other  emotions.  Marlene Winell is a local  
therapist and author of “Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists  and 
Others Leaving their Religion.”  She  grew up in a fundamentalist missionary 
family, spent some years as a  “born-again” Christian, and then went through 
her own recovery and growth  process.  She has worked in human  services for 
30 years, helping clients recover from religion.   See www.marlenewinell.com.  
Even  Atheists may benefit from her groups, see info below. 
6:00  PM Saturday, May 28, 2005 
Schroeder's  Restaurant, rear dining room, 240 Front Street 
SF  Financial District, 2 blocks north of Market, between California St. and  
Sacramento St. 
Use  California Street cable car, or BART/MUNI Embarcadero stop.  Parking on 
street or at nearby  garage. 
Restaurant  and bar remain open after meeting -- Greet Old Friends & Make New 
 Friends

“How Weird Fair” a  Success on May Day 
Howard  Streets “How Weird Fair” is always fun.  Jennifer and Richard 
Carrier, David Fitzgerald, Lenny Maughan, Jennifer  Hallman, Dave Kong, Ray 
Borkowski and Jim Heldberg helped us promote Atheism and  our group to fairgoers. 

Action  Opportunities 
Our busy  summer will include rallies, picnics, street fairs, famous 
speakers, programs,  and the movie premiere.  Can you  help with planning, promotions, 
etc?  It’s a good way to meet more Atheists.  Call 650-438-5661. 
“Religious Recovery Groups” Now  Forming
Religious  Recovery Groups can help people recover from rigid religions such 
as Christian  fundamentalism.  Group  objectives: 
* Reclaim  your own wisdom and strength
*  Appreciate the freedom of personal responsibility
* Enjoy life now, not another life  later
* Address relationship and  sexuality issues
* Deal with  religious family members
* Look  at implications for parenting
Groups meet  2 hours weekly for ten weeks in Berkeley.  $30 per session, plus 
one individual session at $100.  Financial  needs considered.  Contact Dr.  
Marlene Winell at 510-649-1256 or [email-masked].

COMING  EVENTS 
June  5 – Protest  of Natl Day of Prayer in San Jose 
June  6 – US  opening of “The God Who Wasn't There” Movie 
June  12 – Haight  Street Fair 
June  18 – Annual  Picnic in GG Park 
Nov  11 –  “Atheists in Foxholes” March on Washington DC

Point to  Ponder
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.  Thomas Jefferson

If  you have questions, or wish to be removed from our 
mailing  list, please contact us by  the  information above.