Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

From: Mike Lorrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:11:03 -0800 (PST)

--- MB <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Speaking of the Geo, what has happened with gas mileage? Why does my
> 1989 Geo metro *still* get 45 mpg around town but there's no other
> car
> even close to it nowadays, unless I get some frightfully expensive
> hybrid? My Geo was an entry level vehicle when I bought it new and it
> has paid for itself so to speak, several times over in gas economy.
> When it was new it ran 55-60 mpg on the highway.
> 
> Why are none of the little new cars getting that kind of mileage?
> IMHO they should be getting better mileage. After all, our technology
> should have improved, right?

The fuels have changed and crash standards have changed. Crash
standards have made vehicles heavier and there are anti-pollution
additives that degrade hp. Also, engine control computers are optimized
for power and emissions. There are three optimum points you can tune an
engine to to maximize any two of power, milage, and emissions. People
want power, the state wants low emissions. You are left picking up the
milage tab.

Mike Lorrey
Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806) 
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
Make Yahoo! your home page 
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat