Subject: [extropy-chat] TransColloquium Meeting: Dealing with New Pope'sCampaign

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:03:18 -0400

Sorry I didn't get back to you Samantha.  I don't know if there is a text
version.  I'm off onto more thoughts on the campaigns of other religous
groups who also politically connected and which are necessary variables to
a strategic model.

I hope that folks can move beyond the moral relativism issues and consider
cultural wars and what the long-range issues are of a powerful organization
that have the world's ear.

Best,

Natasha

Is there a text version?   Why is this a more reasonable target than 
the actually more politically connected and powerful Christian 
evangelicals increasingly in control of the world's one remaining 
superpower?  It seems like there are plenty of more obvious targets 
that are more of an immediate threat.  How is this the best opportunity 
right now?

- samantha

On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

>  Friends,
>
>  Extropy Institute is calling for a meeting at the TransColloquium for 
> Transhumanist organizations to discuss strategies for dealing with the 
> potential for conflicts that might arise from the Pope's declaration 
> concerning the moral relativism and the "cultural wars". This is a 
> global issue for transhumanity.
>
>  ExI will be sending out an invitation later for a meeting in May. If 
> your organization would like to suggest a meeting date and time, 
> please let me know by Wednesday. It would be helpful if those of you 
> who receive this message to forward it to other transhumanist 
> organizations and groups.
>
> Pope Benedict’s Campaign
>
> NPR's Monday morning edition: 
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4618049
>
> "Religion
>  Pope Benedict Warns Against Moral Relativism
>   by Barbara Bradley Hagerty
>
>  Morning Edition, April 25, 2005 • The new leader of the Roman 
> Catholic Church has denounced moral relativism, the idea that moral 
> principles have no objective standards. Pope Benedict XVI has 
> characterized it as the major evil facing the church. Some observers 
> believe he is taking a stance in the tense cultural wars in the United 
> States."
>
>  I hope you all will work us. It will be a first time that we have a 
> global issue to work together on and plan a strategy. I think we can 
> make headway as a culture and a meaningful contribution to our future.
>
>  I look forward to hearing from you,
>   
>  Natasha Vita-More
>  Cultural Strategist
>
>  Extropy Institute, President
> http://www.extropy.org
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/ .

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Samantha Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:11:23 -0700

I am a bit confused what the transhumanist groups are being rallied 
for.  The "culture wars" are a bit amorphous and over used.  What sort 
of real difference do you see transhumanism standing for and in what 
context?  How exactly do we find a place of traction to delive 
effective messages relative to the "culture wars"?  What does this have 
to do with the new Pope?

- samantha