Subject: $82 billion more for Iraq: Demand an exit strategy.

From: "Tom Matzzie, MoveOn PAC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:53:03 -0700

Dear MoveOn member,

Congress has barely debated the war in Iraq or its aftermath since it
voted to authorize the use of force in October 2002. Now, the Bush
administration is skipping the normal budget process to ask for an
additional $82 billion to fund the American presence in Iraq. Among the
big-ticket items, a $600 million embassy and some 14 "enduring" bases.[1]
Those bases, and the absence of an exit strategy, will worsen, not improve
the situation in Iraq.

And, remember the last $87 billion Congress authorized for the war: a
whopping $9 billion of it is missing because of corrupt contracting.[2]
We must root out the corporate corruption that has undercut the rebuilding
efforts and lost billions of taxpayers' money.

As it considers another $82 billion for Iraq, Congress needs to insist
that America has an exit strategy from Iraq with a timeline, that we do
not construct permanent bases in Iraq and that we end war profiteering by
corporations. Please sign our petition urging Congress to act today.

http://www.moveonpac.org/iraq?id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ&t=1

So far we've spent at least $200 billion invading, policing and now trying
to rebuild Iraq. There are more than 150,000 U.S. troops there, yet the
situation continues to worsen. In February of this year there was an
average of 70 attacks per day by insurgents. A year ago, the average
number of attacks per day was 14. Similarly, the number of insurgents has
more than tripled over the last year.[3]

Things haven't been improving much for Iraqis health and welfare, either.
They have, on average, only 8 hours of electricity per day. Unemployment
is between 28 and 40 percent. More than 700,000 children have dropped out
of school and malnutrition rates among children in Iraq have nearly
doubled since Saddam was in power.[4] And, in January the National
Intelligence Council confirmed that Iraq is now a breeding ground for
terrorists.[5]

Many of the challenges we face in Iraq are because our posture is one of a
permanent presence. The lack of an exit strategy and the construction of
permanent bases are provocative signals to Iraqis, implying an occupation
that could last for generations.

War profiteering by dozens of firms in Iraq is draining the reconstruction
effort. One firm, Custer Battles, was paid approximately $15 million to
provide security for civilian flights at Baghdad International Airport,
even though no planes flew during the contract term.[6]

While all of this is going on Congress remains silent on the war, refusing
to debate its conduct or how to exit the country.

Please sign our petition. Insist that Congress does its job.

http://www.moveonpac.org/iraq?id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ&t=2

Congress needs to hear from you.

Thanks for all you do.

--Tom Matzzie and the MoveOn PAC Team
  Monday, April 4th, 2005

P.S. Here is a helpful resource.

Iraq by the Numbers, Center for American Progress, March 18, 2005
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=678&id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ

Footnotes:

1. 14 'enduring bases' set in Iraq, Chicago Tribune, March 23, 2004
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=679&id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ

2. Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds, CNN, January 31,
2005
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=680&id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ

3. Iraq Index, The Brookings Institution
http://www.brookings.edu/iraqindex

4. Iraq Index, The Brookings Institution
http://www.brookings.edu/iraqindex

5. Iraq New Terror Breeding Ground, The Washington Post, January 14, 2005
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=681&id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ

6. Lawmakers Told About Contract Abuse in Iraq, The Washington Post,
February 15, 2005
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=682&id=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ

PAID FOR BY MOVEON PAC
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn PAC. To remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=5311-86329-97ZswAz6Tnnd1zjmb5u_EQ