Subject: [TechRepublic] Calculating cost of network utilization

From: "CIO Exchange at TechRepublic.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 01:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

TechRepublic
http://techrepublic.com.com

Presents your 
CIO EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER for May 5, 2005

<---------------Advertisement--------------->

LIVE AUDIOCAST: Stop E-mail Attacks with End-to-End Monitoring 
Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 12:30 PM ET / 9:30 AM PT 

E-mail attackers work fast--new attack patterns can appear as quick- 
ly as new and effective protection launches. While no single solu- 
tion stops assaults on your e-mail server and inboxes, rigid scoring 
techniques can also block e-mail your users want. 

Join Gleb Budman, MailFrontier's Vice President of Products, for a 
live audiocast on effectively halting e-mail attacks. You'll learn: 

 * The latest in e-mail attack patterns 
 * How to detect attacks in progress 
 * How evidence evaluation systems fight e-mail attacks 

Pre-register today for an important, and FREE, live discussion: 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158947-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

<------------------------------------------->

WHITE PAPER: DEFEND YOUR NETWORK AT THE GATEWAY

The most effective way to stop malware threats is at the Internet
connection--before the offending code can reach your computers. 
Panda Software details how its GateDefender Internet appliance can
protect your network from a multitude of lurking threats.
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158940-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------
 
CALCULATING COST OF NETWORK UTILIZATION 
 
TechRepublic member MWRIGHT needs help finding some kind of industry 
average "benchmark" cost for network traffic. "I'd like to be able to 
put a "price" or cost on our network traffic. Example: a 500 Kb Word 
document is sent out as an e-mail attachment to 1,000 employees. How 
can I get a rough idea of the "cost" of this network traffic (assuming 
a WAN for a mid-sized company)? I know that there are so many variables 
based on network configuration, but some kind of industry average or 
benchmark is all I'm looking for. Join this discussion to offer your 
advice or to see what other members have to say. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158941-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

INFORMATION SECURITY AND COMPLIANCE: NAVIGATING THE EVER-CHANGING 
REGULATORY LANDSCAPE 
Staying abreast of the many IT regulatory measures proposed, debated, 
and passed in Congress and by international governmental bodies each 
year may be the single most important aspect of the CIO or CSO role 
today. If you're charged with ensuring your organization's compliance 
with privacy- or security-related regulations, you'll want to hear this 
on-demand webcast from RSA Security. Featuring discussions with Richard 
Clarke, former White House advisor to the President on cyberspace 
security and author of The New York Times best seller "Against All 
Enemies," and Lee Zeichner, advisor to the Department of Homeland 
Security on critical. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158942-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

MOVE TOWARD MORE EFFECTIVE BUSINESS SERVICES WITH SERVICE ORIENTED 
ARCHITECTURES 
A central idea of service oriented architecture (SOA) is the movement 
away from technology-oriented solutions and toward business services. 
By focusing on services, applications are aggregated to provide richer, 
more meaningful business processes. This download examines the 
components that make up an SOA and how that translates to business 
models, and it shows you how to create services that not only meet 
business requirements, but that also provide a rich and strategic 
solution. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158943-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------ 
 
NEW AT TECHREPUBLIC 
 
DOWNLOAD: IDENTIFY/REACT CHART: SOBER.P 
The Sober mass-mailing worm uses its own SMTP engine to spread as an 
e-mail attachment, usually with a .zip extension. TechRepublic's 
Identify/React chart for Sober.P puts critical information for 
identifying and removing the virus right at your fingertips. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158944-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

HOW TO BUILD FIREWALLS THAT GROW WITH YOUR BUSINESS 
Building a firewall infrastructure with growth in mind can save money 
and ensure that your security setup can keep up with your expanding 
business. Here's a look at how to build a cost-effective and scalable 
firewall system. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158945-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

DOWNLOAD: THE WORST FOODS TO EAT OVER A KEYBOARD (AND THE BEST WAYS TO 
CLEAN UP THE MESS) 
Whether it's a second breakfast, a desperately needed sugar buzz, or 
cold pizza on the fly, bits and pieces inevitably find their way into 
the keyboard. Not surprisingly, some types of food are more 
debris-prone than others, and IT pro Becky Roberts has identified some 
of the worst offenders. 
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158946-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------

White Papers from our partners

Audiocast: Phishing and the Law--Are You on the Hook?
(MailFrontier)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158948-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Online Meetings: Overview and Demo of Benefits (Macromedia)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158949-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Effective Information Management from HP (Hewlett-Packard)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158950-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

Change Management: The Other Half of the Story (Active Reasoning)
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=158951-30765961&brand=techrepublic&ds=5

------------------------------------------ 

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE CIO ISSUES NEWSLETTER! 

This newsletter offers targeted information that is essential to 
the C-level manager's success, as well as downloadable tools for
making IT management duties and decisions easier. You'll also
receive HR best practices and leadership tips. Click the link 
below to automatically subscribe!
http://nl.com.com/one_click_signup?email=[email-masked]&list_id=e125&id=30765961&tag=nl.one-click

------------------------------------------ 
 
To unsubscribe from this mailing list: 
http://ct.com.com/click?q=b6-lezUrMKgZLeFrZjGlehbcXHIWgCp5wGImRRR 

To update your TechRepublic e-mail subscriptions or unsubscribe from  
all TechRepublic e-mail lists: 
http://nl.com.com/acct_mgmt.jsp?brand=techrepublic  

Questions or comments: 
http://techrepublic.com.com/2001-6705-0.html  

Visit TechRepublic 
http://techrepublic.com.com/  

Copyright 2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. 
TechRepublic is a registered trademark of CNET Networks, Inc.
CNET Networks, Inc. 
235 Second Street 
San Francisco, CA 94105 
U.S.A.