Subject: [extropy-chat] Your Bloglet Update from "Howard Lovy's NanoBot" (fwd from [email-masked])

From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:11:08 +0200

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:06:21 -0400
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Your Bloglet Update from "Howard Lovy's NanoBot"
X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000

Here are your daily Bloglet subscriptions:

  _____  

Howard Lovy's NanoBot <http://nanobot.blogspot.com>  -
http://nanobot.blogspot.com

Well, you rolls the dice, you takes your chances. And I risked a great
deal on this experiment. Too much. And now the stakes are too high not
only for me, but also my wife and 3 1/2 kids. I lose my house in a week
if I can't come up with about $6,000. After that, all sorts of horrible
things can happen that I don't even want to ponder. It's possible that I
just got it all wrong, and I should have stuck with nanotech as a
business and investment story. Period. I don't know. Still no regrets,
except that I put my family in this position. 

If you're an employer looking for an experienced editor, writer or
consultant, please consider contacting me <mailto:[email-masked]> . 

Here's my standard cover letter 

I'm currently an editor, writer and analyst who specializes in
nanotechnology, but am fluent in just about any technological, business,
political or general interest subject. I have a great deal of experience
in building news organizations from the ground up. As one of the
founding editors of Small Times Media, an Ann Arbor-based trade magazine
and Web site covering nanotechnology, I built the freelance team and
worked closely with the writers to set the tone and style for
nanotechnology business coverage. 

Previously, I was managing editor for a wire service in New York and a
copy editor for The Detroit News, where I also contributed feature
articles and op-ed pieces. I am an experienced journalist who has worked
for newspapers, magazines and wire services for two decades. I've carved
out a reputation for making science, technology and business
understandable to everyday readers. 

I'm sole conspirator at the popular Howard Lovy's NanoBot blog, and my
freelance work has appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Salon.com, The
Scientist and other publications. 

Howard Lovy <mailto:[email-masked]> 

Editor/Writer/Analyst 
Consultant for companies and institutions seeking information and
in-depth reports about nanotechnology. Recent clients include a U.S.
defense agency and a major pharmaceutical company. Associate analyst for
NanoMarkets, writing nanotechnology white papers and reports for
business-oriented readers. Contributing editor for the Forbes/Wolfe
Nanotech Report, writing analyses of nanotechnology issues for an
investment-oriented audience. Nanotechnology-related work has also
appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The Scientist, Salon.com and other
publications. Since July 2003, editor of Howard Lovy's NanoBot, an
influential Weblog covering political, financial and cultural issues
surrounding nanotechnology. 

2001-2004: News Editor, Small Times Media, Ann Arbor, Mich. 
Coordinated a team of reporters and international network of
correspondents for daily news Web site and bimonthly magazine. As one of
the founding editors, I built the freelance team and worked closely with
the writers to set the tone and style for nanotechnology business
coverage. Oversaw other digital media projects. Wrote bimonthly magazine
and online column. 

1999-2001: Managing Editor, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, New York 
Supervised domestic and international correspondents for global news
service. Planned international coverage, assigned stories, edited copy
and made sure deadlines were met for client newspapers. Wrote news
analyses. 

1995-1999: Copy Editor, The Detroit News 
Edited copy and designed pages for metropolitan daily. Wrote freelance
opinion pieces, book reviews, news and features. 

1993-1995: Copy editor, Kalamazoo Gazette, Kalamazoo, Mich. 
Was in charge of weekend editions for 80,000-circulation daily
newspaper. Designed pages and wrote columns and editorials. 

1992-1993: Assistant News Editor, The Times-Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 
Supervised the copy desk for a 60,000-circulation daily morning
newspaper. 

1988-1992: News Editor, The Haverhill Gazette, Haverhill, Mass. 
Supervised editors and reporters for a 20,000-circulation daily
newspaper. Wrote editorials and columns. Was a staff writer from
1988-1989. 

1986-87: Staff Writer, Roscommon County Herald, Roscommon, Mich. 
Covered news, took photos, and wrote columns and editorials for weekly
newspaper. 

Education: Journalism/English, Wayne State University, Detroit
(4/14/2005 7:11:02 AM)

  _____  

This email was sent to [email-masked]. If you wish to unsubscribe,
please visit

_______________________________________________________________________ 
Add email subscriptions to your weblog at http://www.bloglet.com/
<http://www.bloglet.com> 

----- End forwarded message -----
-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144            http://www.leitl.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
http://moleculardevices.org         http://nanomachines.net
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat

---

From: Damien Broderick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:45:09 -0500

At 09:11 AM 4/15/2005 +0200, gene fwd'd:

>things can happen that I don't even want to ponder.

Here are two characteristic responses on Lovy's blog:

================

I guess it's just one of the "benefits" of living in an ownership society. 
A few missteps, and most of us would find ourselves owning nothing at all.

I don't know if it is to your interest, but you might look into a marketing 
position at a big company involved in nanotech, e.g. 
<http://dupont.recruitsoft.com/servlets/CareerSection?art_ip_action=FlowDispatcher&flowTypeNo=13&pageSeq=2&reqNo=46539&art_servlet_language=en&csNo=2>DuPont.
<http://nanobot.blogspot.com/2005/04/nano-hack-for-hire.html#111349978751426493># 
posted by <http://www.blogger.com/profile/2747105>John : 1:29 PM

<http://www.blogger.com/delete-comment.g?blogID=5554620&postID=111349978751426493> 

If you're so good- how did you get yourself in such a pickle? How can you 
expect anyone to hire someone who demonstrates such poor judgement?
Hey- I heard there's a nursing shortage- go back to school for 2 years and 
find steady employment ACTUALLY working for a living instead of sitting 
around and doing nothing
<http://nanobot.blogspot.com/2005/04/nano-hack-for-hire.html#111353493510131228># 
posted by Anonymous : 11:15 PM

====================

Damien Broderick