Subject: RE: [AthofSV] Re: A quick explanation of "Headship"

From: "lydia rice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:34:25 -0800

Speaking of stupid jokes on this subject, my dad and brother (guys who have 
wholeheartedly bought into the sky-god-bible patriarcial B-S) came up with 
this one:

Since there were 5 kids in my family, my Dad told us that each kid had one 
vote, my Mom had 6 votes, and he had 12 votes (on whatever issues migh 
arise).

My brother responded that that would make my father a 12 vote daddery.

ha,ha - it WAS funny, but they still couldn't figure out why it pissed me 
off.  It's amazing that he could understand the concept of equality between 
others (his kids), but not between himself and his wife.

Lydia

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Wed. 3/9, 7:30 - What Really Happened on Nov 22, 1963?
Sat. 3/12, 9am-4:30pm - Americans United Activist Training
Wed. 3/23, 7:30 - Money: Red, Blue or Green?

Everyone is welcome at our meetings.

If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.

ASV Library at meetings: bring books & magazines; get books and magazines.
See our website http://www.godlessgeeks.com

Keep the msgs to Atheist topics.
Help keep email overflow down. Make your posts short; clean out old text in any responses that you make.

If you want to join a liberal political discussion, see [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[email-masked] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athofsv/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "earthboundje" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:38:30 -0000

For those who appreciate hierarchies of social responsibility, your 
father's analysis rings quite true with me.  I'm sure the victory he 
perceives in credibility is quickly balanced out by his sense of 
personal duty toward those who are "under" him.  

I know my father and mother ascribe to this BYGONE ANCIENT model, 
but despite the fact that it has made them act superior toward me, 
they have broken their backs to live up to the sense of duty as 
well.  I know many no longer have any respect for the model, but 
I... do.

- Jonathan

PS - In linguistics we have heads and hierarchies as well.  Today's 
linear conversions are having a hard time perceiving the duplicity 
of our ability to express value while negating it.  In other words, 
the world is changing artificially, in order to accomodate an almost 
robotic sense of intellectual homogeneity.  I'm quite positive that 
I DON'T ascribe to that.  But then, of course, I'm not an ego-driven 
woman, so I'm not saddled with the belief that equality is an 
improvement.  

With that I don't mean to offend anyone, but it really ought to take 
all kinds.  I don't think it does anymore.  Then again, my class 
voted against any semantic value of the unindexed head "it", thereby 
alienating some of my most basic perceptions of the universe.  They 
regret their haste now, but since they can't articulate why, they 
live with the disparity internally.  I struggle with the 
conspiracy.  At least with a hierarchy there's always a head to chop 
off.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/OzVolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->