Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Rope core problem

From: Turk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:41:52 -0500

That might be a thought.  If I tuck all that I can into the cover (believe me it doesn't want to go!) I could then wrap with waxed wipping thread and tighten and stitch through and tie.  Might work.
I need to buy new line for by main sheet boom vang, I could use this as it is large line 1/2 inch.  I can then buy some 3/8 Sta-set for the jib.  I still like the idea of the pendant and adding spliced eyes to the sheets.  3/8 line makes it so much more compact than the 1/2 line.  It would cause way to big knots and splices to work smoothly.  I guess the previous owner likes the "hand" of the larger rope.

Turk
Miss Kitty Kitty Kitty

Cummings, BJ wrote:

I also use a pendant to attach the sheet(s) to the clew but in a little
different fashion. I use one continuous sheet and form a bight in the
center of its length. I tie the pendant to this bight with a sheet bend
and seize the bitter end to the standing part. The pendant is then tied
to the clew with either a buntline hitch or bowline; whichever I feel
like tying at the moment.

Do you think if Turk stitched the cover really well to the core and
applied a couple of layers of adhesive-lined, heat shrink tubing that
that might keep him from having to buy new sheets for awhile?

B.J. Cummings
Killeen, Texas
#7126 Cheap?Thrills

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Keim
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Rope core problem

Turk

I run a pendent from the clew of the headsail. The pendent is fixed
with a knot I got out of the Layline catelog at the sail and I tie a
buntline hitch around two eye splices in the sheets. The pendent holds

the whisker pole between the clew and the sheets without slipping. Some

racer much better than I came up with the idea. I'll make an eye splice

for one of the ends some rainy day.

Dick

Just checked and the grommet it both of my jibs will not accomidate
both lines. I would have to add a loop of rope to it I guess. Any
ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to: www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm

---

From: "Cummings, BJ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:54:43 -0600

Turk

I just posted some pictures on the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board of an
example of what I use. They might give you an idea of what I am talking
about in terms of pendants.  The first one is of a seized sheetbend on
the bight. And the second one is the pendant on a "high tech" sail with
a buntline hitch.

http://photos.trailersailor.com/2004/sheetpend2.jpg

http://photos.trailersailor.com/2004/sheetbunt2.jpg

B.J. Cummings

Killeen, Texas

# 7126  Cheap?Thrills

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Turk
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Rope core problem

That might be a thought.  If I tuck all that I can into the cover
(believe me it doesn't want to go!) I could then wrap with waxed wipping
thread and tighten and stitch through and tie.  Might work.  
I need to buy new line for by main sheet boom vang, I could use this as
it is large line 1/2 inch.  I can then buy some 3/8 Sta-set for the jib.
I still like the idea of the pendant and adding spliced eyes to the
sheets.  3/8 line makes it so much more compact than the 1/2 line.  It
would cause way to big knots and splices to work smoothly.  I guess the
previous owner likes the "hand" of the larger rope.

Turk
Miss Kitty Kitty Kitty

Cummings, BJ wrote: 

 
B.J. Cummings
Killeen, Texas
#7126  Cheap?Thrills
 
-----Original Message-----
 
Turk

 

  

Dick

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------ For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list
owner, go to: www.chipford.com/list_instructs.htm