Subject: Benton's Communications-related Headlines for 4/15/05

From: Kevin Taglang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:33:43 -0500

BENTON'S COMMUNICATIONS-RELATED HEADLINES for TAX DAY, 2005 (Let me tell
you how it will be)

Next week 1) Broadcasters get it on in Vegas; 2) the Senate Antitrust,
Competition Policy and Consumer Rights Subcommittee will examine the
SBC/ATT and Verizon/MCI mergers and 3) we will learn what's on the agenda
for new FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's first public meeting. For these and
other upcoming media policy events, see http://www.benton.org/calendar.htm

NEWS FROM THE WHITE HOUSE
        Bush Backs Pay Indecency Regulation
        Bush: 'I Don't Want You Reading My Personal Stuff'

NEWS FROM CONGRESS
        White House Accused of Impeding Investigation
        Sens. Propose VNR ID Bill
        Protecting The Press -- And the Public
        Barton Proposes Funding 'E-Rate' From General Tax Revenues
        Minority Serving Institutions Digital and Wireless Technology
                Opportunity Act of 2005
        Junk Fax Prevention Bill

NEWS FROM LOBBYISTS
        Public Television and Cable Ratify Digital Cable Carriage Agreement
        Rural Telecom Groups Respond to TeleConsensus Plans for
                Telecom Legislation Reform

NEWS FROM CALIFORNIA
        PUC Gives Up Fight Over VOIP

NEWS FROM THE WORLD
        EU Cites Telecom-Rule Offenders
        Voice of America by Way of Hong Kong

NEWS FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

BUSH BACKS PAY INDECENCY REGULATIONS
President George W. Bush told newspaper editors Thursday that he supports
extending indecency regulations to cable and satellite TV, but he also
argued as forcefully for marketplace forces. "The final edit is a parent
turning off the TV. The ultimate responsibility in a consumer-driven
economy is for people to say I'm not going to watch it and turn the knob
off. That's how best to make decisions and how best to send influences."
The President continued with what seemed a mixed message: "Look, we're a
free society. The marketplace makes decisions, If you don't like something,
don't watch it. And, presumably, advertising dollars will wither and the
show will go off the air, but I have no problems with standards being set
to help parents make good decisions."
[SOURCE: Broadcasting&Cable, AUTHOR: John Eggerton]
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA525031?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
(free access for Benton's Headlines subscribers)
Also in --
Multichannel News:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA525063.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
(free access for Benton's Headlines subscribers)
TVWeek: http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=7649

BUSH: 'I DON'T WANT YOU READING MY PERSONAL STUFF'
President Bush said on Thursday he does not send e-mail, not even to his
twin daughters, because he fears "my personal stuff" would be made public.
Oddly enough, this was a response to a question about whether his
administration is sufficiently responsive to requests made under the
Freedom of Information Act.
[SOURCE: Reuters]
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=QZWXOOTHDPATECRBAEKSFEY?type=internetNews&storyID=8186951

NEWS FROM CONGRESS

WHITE HOUSE ACCUSES OF IMPEDING INVESTIGATION
Rep. George Miller (D-CA), ranking Democrat on the House Education and
Workforce Committee, said the White House is interfering with the
Department of Education inspector general's investigation into conservative
commentator Armstrong Williams' pay-for-play contract, which paid Williams
$240,000 to promote its No Child Left Behind Policy. Apparently, the White
House has denied Dept Of Education Inspector General Jack Higgins' requests
to interview key White House officials.
[SOURCE: Broadcasting&Cable, AUTHOR: John Eggerton]
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA525011.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
(free access for Benton's Headlines subscribers)
Also in --
NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/politics/15armstrong.html
USAToday:
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20050415/a_williams15.art.htm

SENATORS PROPOSE VNR ID BILL
Senate Commerce Committee chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), with the support
of ranking member/co-chairman Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), has committed to
holding a hearing and markup on a video-news-release bill that is expected
to be introduced by Sens. John Kerry (D-MA) and Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ).
The bill requires that "VNR's produced, distributed or otherwise paid for
by the federal government clearly identify the federal government as the
source of such material." The legislation, which would require the
disclaimer to run continuously during the VNR, was introduced as an
amendment to a "Junk Fax Prevention" bill being considered by the Commerce
Committee, but was withdrawn when Stevens agreed to take it up separately
as early as next week, according to a Sen Kerry spokesman.
[SOURCE: Broadcasting&Cable, AUTHOR: John Eggerton]
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA525004?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
(free access for Benton's Headlines subscribers)
Also in TVWeek: http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=7647

PROTECTING THE PRESS -- AND THE PUBLIC
[Commentary] An op-ed in support of the Free Flow of Information Act, or
Media Shield Law, introduced in Congress by the two authors with the
bipartisan co-sponsorship of Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) and Rep. Rick Boucher
(D-VA). The bill would set national standards for subpoenas issued to
reporters by an entity or employee of the federal government. "It strikes a
reasonable balance between the public's right to know and the fair
administration of justice," these Members write. Freedom of speech and the
press are two of the most important rights we Americans possess under our
Constitution. They form the bedrock of our democracy by creating a free
flow of information to the public. Unfortunately, these rights are under
attack. Nearly a dozen reporters were given or threatened with jail
sentences last year for refusing to reveal confidential sources. Compelling
reporters to testify, and in particular to reveal the identity of their
confidential sources, hurts the public interest. Many whistle-blowers will
refuse to come forward, and reporters will be unable to provide our
constituents with information they have a right to.
[SOURCE: Washington Post, AUTHOR: Rep Mike Pence and Sen Richard G. Lugar]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55030-2005Apr14.html
(requires registration)

BARTON PROPOSES FUNDING 'E-RATE' FROM GENERAL TAX REVENUES
House Commerce Committee Chairman Joe Barton (R-TX) said he would like to
see the "E-rate" program abolished, or at least changed from a Universal
Service Fund program to one that receives its funding through the federal
appropriations process. Rep. Barton said he would replace the current
E-rate program with a system of one-year grants for low-income areas that
would require competitive bidding from vendors. Support would only be
provided for hook-ups and equipment - known as internal connections in the
current system. No support would go toward "maintenance" - known as telecom
and Internet services in the current system - which he said was currently
consuming "more and more" of the funding. "Maintenance should be up to the
local district," he added. Finally, he said the E-rate program should be
funded through the general federal appropriations process, not through a
"specific contributions process."
[SOURCE: TRDaily via E-rate Central AUTHOR: Lynn Stanton]
http://www.e-ratecentral.com/archive/Bulletins/Bulletins2005/b_20050414.asp
* Is Uncle Sam Leaving Children Behind?
[SOURCE: Forbes.com, AUTHOR: Andrew T. Gillies]
http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2005/04/13/cz_ag_0413beltway.html

MINORITY SERVING INSTITUTIONS DIGITAL AND WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY OPPORTUNITY
ACT OF 2005
The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved S.
432, the Minority Serving Institutions Digital and Wireless Technology
Opportunity Act of 2005, by unanimous consent. The bill was introduced by
Senator George Allen (R-Va.) and was cosponsored by 11 Senators, including
Commerce Committee members Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.), Trent Lott
(R-Miss.), and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.). The bill provides $250 million in
federal grants to Historically Black Colleges and Universities, tribal
colleges, Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian serving institutions, and
Hispanic-Serving Institutions for technology upgrades and communications
infrastructure. Additionally, the grants can be used to provide education
services for technology degrees and educator training, as well as to
encourage greater use of information technology to increase scientific,
mathematical, engineering, and technology research. The bill is identical
to a bill, S. 196, passed by the Senate 97-0 during the 108th Congress. The
legislation now proceeds to the full Senate for its consideration.
[SOURCE: Senate Commerce Committee Press Release]
http://commerce.senate.gov/newsroom/printable.cfm?id=236388

JUNK FAX PREVENTION BILL
The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation approved by
unanimous consent the "Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2005" (S. 714). The bill:
1) Establishes an exception to the general prohibition against the sending
of unsolicited faxes without express consent for parties with an
"established business relationship." 2) Establishes a requirement that
persons sending unsolicited faxes pursuant to an "established business
relationship" also provide consumers with a cost-free mechanism to opt-out
of further faxes, and that notice of this mechanism be provided on each
such fax in a clear and conspicuous manner. 3) Permits the FCC to limit the
duration of an "established relationship" consistent with reasonable
consumer expectations and appropriate justification by the FCC. 4) Requires
the FCC to report annually regarding enforcement actions taken against
senders of unsolicited fax advertisements. 5) Requires the GAO to conduct a
study analyzing enforcement actions conducted by the FCC and suggest
whether any additional enforcement measures may be warranted. The Committee
unanimously accepted 2 amendments by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.). The
first amendment required that consumers be permitted to "opt-out" of
receiving further faxes by contacting the sender at any time during the
day. Previously, the bill had limited the "opt-out" requirement to regular
business hours. The second amendment stipulated that the FCC can commence a
proceeding to limit the duration of an "established business relationship"
3 months after enactment as opposed to the 18-month timeframe established
in the bill. The bill now proceeds to the full Senate for its consideration.
[SOURCE: Senate Commerce Committee Press Release]
http://commerce.senate.gov/newsroom/printable.cfm?id=236401

NEWS FROM LOBBYISTS

PUBLIC TELEVISION AND CABLE RATIFY DIGITAL CABLE CARRIAGE AGREEMENT
Public Television stations serving markets that comprise over 80 percent of
U.S. TV households and cable systems representing over 80 percent of cable
subscribers have ratified the previously announced "Public Television
Digital Cable Carriage Agreement." The agreement, announced in late January
by the Association of Public Television Stations (APTS), the Public
Broadcasting Service (PBS) and the National Cable & Telecommunications
Association (NCTA), ensures that local Public Television stations' digital
programming will be carried on cable systems serving the vast majority of
the nation's cable subscribers. Cable systems will begin adding the digital
PTV stations to their local cable systems pursuant to the agreement later
this year.
[SOURCE: Association of Public Television Stations Press Release]
http://www.apts.org/news/ncta_ratification.cfm
Coverage in --
B&C:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA525074?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
Multichannel News:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA525068.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP
(free access for Benton's Headlines subscribers)
TVWeek: http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=7648

RURAL TELECOM GROUPS RESPOND TO TELECONSENSUS PLANS FOR TELECOM REFORM
Four national trade associations representing small and mid-sized rural
telephone companies raised serious concerns with recommendations for
telecom legislation reform by a newly formed coalition of business groups
and large telecom providers. The Independent Telephone and
Telecommunications Association (ITTA), the National Telecommunications
Cooperative Association (NTCA), the Organization for the Promotion and
Advancement of Small Telecommunications Companies (OPASTCO) and the Western
Telecommunications Alliance (WTA) opposed certain of the coalition's
proposed reforms and expressed concern with the coalition's apparent
failure to take into account the distinct needs of community-based providers.
[SOURCE: National Telecommunications Cooperative Association Press Release]
http://www.ntca.org/ka/ka-3.cfm?content_item_id=3165&folder_id=522

NEWS FROM CALIFORNIA

PUC GIVES UP FIGHT OVER VOIP
The California Public Utilities Commission voted 3 to 1 to end its appeal
of a Federal Communications Commission rule designating so-called voice
over Internet protocol as an interstate service beyond state control.
Critics fear the move will leave California customers with little recourse
for poor or faulty Internet telephone service. Consumer groups contend that
regulation is needed more than ever as the changing landscape over the next
few years allows phone service to be delivered over such technologies as
high-speed wireless networks and power lines. "This is unbelievable," said
Bob Finkelstein, executive director of the Utility Reform Network in San
Francisco. "The trouble is we have activist regulators far keener on
representing the industry than the state's consumers." The commissioners'
votes "essentially say they think the commission is irrelevant, which is a
tremendous disappointment," said Janee Briesemeister, telecom policy
analyst for Consumers Union.
[SOURCE:  Los Angeles Times, AUTHOR:James S. Granelli]
http://www.latimes.com/business/printedition/la-fi-puc15apr15,1,4900551.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-business
(requires registration)

NEWS FROM THE WORLD

EU CITES TELECOM-RULE OFFENDERS
The European Commission warned 10 countries -- Germany, Italy, Latvia,
Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Finland --
for failing to implement European Union telecommunications rules. The ten
countries either have given insufficient powers to their national telecom
regulator or failed to impose certain requirements, such as allowing
consumers to switch operators and keep their phone numbers.
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Sandra Plas [email-masked]]
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB111351477930107428,00.html?mod=todays_us_page_one
(requires subscription)

VOICE OF AMERICA BY WAY OF HONG KONG
Everyone's getting into outsourcing -- even Voice Of America. Faced with
ever-tightening budgets, VOA will farm out about eight news writer jobs --
the slots of people who work the graveyard shift from around midnight to
the morning -- and move those tasks to Hong Kong. (The people will move to
other shifts.) These folks handle the late news writing, then send their
stories to be translated by VOA language services into Swahili, Spanish and
so on. VOA says the move could save at least $300,000 in salaries and
benefits each year, and would relieve people burdened by working those hours.
[SOURCE: Washington Post, AUTHOR: Al Kamen]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55134-2005Apr14.html
(requires registration)
--------------------------------------------------------------
...and we are outta here. Have a great weekend; thanks for reading.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Communications-related Headlines is a free online news summary service
provided by the Benton Foundation (www.benton.org). Posted Monday through
Friday, this service provides updates on important industry developments,
policy issues, and other related news events. While the summaries are
factually accurate, their often informal tone does not always represent the
tone of the original articles. Headlines are compiled by Kevin Taglang
([email-masked]) -- we welcome your comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------
(c)Benton Foundation 2005. Redistribution of this email publication -- both
internally and externally -- is encouraged if it includes this message. For
subscribe/unsubscribe info email: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Benton Foundation (www.benton.org) works to realize the social benefits
made possible by the public interest use of communications. Bridging the
worlds of philanthropy, public policy, and community action, Benton seeks
to shape the emerging communications environment and to demonstrate the
value of communications for solving social problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Free Press also collects media and media policy related headlines that
complement well the work we are doing. Media Headlines is a free, daily
news service by Free Press. It includes links to articles found on the Free
Press News Center.  For more information or to sign up, visit
http://www.freepress.net

Kevin Taglang
Editor, Communications-related Headlines
Benton Foundation
Communications in the Public Interest
1625 K Street, NW 11th Floor
Washington, DC 20006
[email-masked]