Subject: Re: [pafiber] FTTP in Portland suburbs

From: Jeff Hoel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

Marvin,

Re your message to PA-FiberNet of 4-11-05, 12:04:

>  From a friend in Portland,OR
> 
> "One reason I have been thinking of you is that a Verizon worker put
> an announcement on our door knob. We have been observing the
> contractors workers and trucks crowding the streets in the area
> southwest of our house.  They parked one truck, with permission, in
> our daughter's and son-in-law's driveway while they dug and burrowed
> during the day.  The purpose to lay down "Fiber to the Premises
> [FTTP]".  That sounds familiar somehow.

Is that because you have been bending your friend's ear about FTTH.

> We are wondering why Verizon is spending millions of dollars to lay
> fiber optic cable to each cable box in our somewhat affluent and
> very Intel-techie Washington County; just to the west of Portland.

I assume your friend is not puzzled by why Verizon is choosing only
the affluent neighborhoods.

Once Verizon establishes a FTTP presence, it's going to be hard for
anyone else to compete with it.  I wonder if the affluent portions of
Washington County really want to be served by a fiber monopoly run by
a (presumably largely unregulated) private company.

> They must have decided there would be plenty who would switch from
> the Comcast and other broadband connections to the Verizon
> connection."
> 
> /Marvin

Per:
<http://ftthblog.blogs.com/ftth_blog/2005/02/verizon_fios_in.html>
Qwest is the main phone company there, so maybe Verizon wants to take
some custmers from Qwest.  However, see below.

The above reference points to:
<http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/1109250467123290.xml#continue>
which says:

      But the new network's main purpose is to enable Verizon to
      compete with Comcast for cable TV customers....

(That reference also points to:
<http://ftthblog.blogs.com/ftth_blog/new_ftth_rollouts/index.html>
which is interesting.)

Jeff

#############################################################
To get information about the [pafiber] mailing-list, 
including how to unsubscribe and how to access the message archive,
send a message to <[email-masked]> .
Send administrative queries to <[email-masked]> .