Subject: [extropy-chat] Towards Self-Replicating Rapid Prototypers

From: Neil Halelamien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:41:40 -0800

(x-posted to slashdot)

Researchers at the University of Bath are developing a rapid
prototyping machine capable of making copies of itself and other
products, reminiscent of the Universal Constructor proposed by von
Neumann. The so-called Replicating Rapid-Prototyper (or RepRap) would
produce items from raw materials and small components like microchips.
If successful, this could make rapid prototyping cheap enough for
regular in-home usage, especially since the project's lead, Dr. Adrian
Bowyer, will be releasing his project's designs under the GNU GPL.
It's previously been proposed that a similar system would be useful
for space exploration and industrialization.

Relevant links:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/pr/releases/replicating-machines.htm
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050317_home_device.html
http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab/replicator/
http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/AASMIndex.html
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Constructor
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo/extropy-chat