Subject: Re: Darwin Day event at the Atheists and Other Freethinkers (CA)?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:42:05 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2005 7:51:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

To our  Darwin Day friends at the Atheists and Other Freethinkers (CA), 

In  late 2002, Arthur Jackson sent you a long email about Darwin Day.  This  
is a reminder that the project is ongoing and  growing.

Hi, and thank you for starting and continuing the international Darwin Day  
endeavor! 
 
I very much like the new site (the personal/human emphasis helps on  this end 
of things!). 
 
The following is just, FYI, in case you have interest (or "someone there"  
does): 
 
Sacramento's Darwin Day 2005 is already rarin' to go. Our local celebration  
is now in its EIGHTH year. Hooray! For prior events listing, see the  Word 
attachment. 
 
For a glimpse of this year's event, you'll find attached the flyer (in  PDF). 
For more information on the featured speaker, go to  hagsa.org/darwinday
 
I am someone who belongs to both founding/sponsoring groups and who got  more 
intensely involved over time. Co-chair for the past four years  (getting 
speakers, sponsors) , I have been working hard to transform what began  here as a 
distinctly "rationalist event" (initiated by Humanist Association  joined by 
AOF in its second year and jointly conducted for several years)  into an 
"educational gala" that can draw in more high school teachers as well as  interested 
public. That task was arduous for a while, but with persuasion and  
persistence we now have several college departments signed on as co-sponsors,  NCSE is 
circulating our information to its regional list, etc. I am hoping for  more 
teachers to come this year. I would really love to get the CSTA to  co-sponsor, 
but they're still in a "wait and see" mode. ;-)
 
Best to you
Mynga Futrell
(former science educator, teacher educator)
AOF & HAGSA