Subject: RE: Translating DarwinDay.org from English to Portugese

From: "Glasgow, Thays" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:28:28 -0600

What a pleasure to hear from you! I am very happy to be able to
participate in this endeavour. Let me know when you are ready, and I
will start working.

Thanks again.
Thays

-----Original Message-----
From: R.Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:19 PM
To: Glasgow, Thays
Subject: Translating DarwinDay.org from English to Portugese

Dear Thays,

Thank you very much for contacting DarwinDay about translating pages of 
our site from English into the Portugese language.  With supporters like

yourself, we can build a worldwide movement to celebrate Science and 
Humanity on the birthday of Charles Darwin.  We are very grateful for 
your generous offer of your translation skills.

We are currently planning how we can work with you to make a Portugese 
language version of the Web site. We believe that technically we can 
deliver the Web pages for all languages, if you can send us the 
translated words.  We are also thinking about how to handle emails that 
might come to us from people who communicate only in Portugese.

Since Darwin Day, February 12, has passed for this year, we believe we 
should take some time to plan the worldwide (multilingual) communication

for Darwin Day in 2006.  We hope to develop the means for the 
multilingual Web site during the remainder of 2005.  We are making minor

changes in the English version of the Web site at this time.  We will 
send you e-mails when the DarwinDay.org Web site is ready to be 
translated.  That might occur several weeks from now.

Again, thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Robert ("Bob") Stephens, Ph.D.
Chairman of the Board of Directors, Darwin Day Celebration

---

From: "Thiago Estevam Parente Martins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:21:20 -0200

Dear Bob,

As I said on the first email, it will be a pleasure translate this web page 
and ther by collaborate with DarwinDay. 

But I think that send to you the translated words is not the best option. 
Because english and portuguese languages are quite diferents and has 
diferents phrasal constructions. So translate a englist text to a portuguese 
text only by translating the words will resolte in a not clear portuguese 
text.

In respect of the email that would come in portuguese it could be redirect 
to me. If I were not able to anwer it, I could translate and send in english 
to you. Than I could translate yours anwer and we send to the person.

I think I would take about three mouths in order to do a good translation of 
the DarwinDay web page.  

I look forward yours emails in the next future.

Sincerely,

    Thiago Parente

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:28:14 +0000, R.Stephens wrote
> Dear Thiago,
> 
> Thank you very much for contacting DarwinDay about translating pages 
> of our site from English into the Portugese language.  With 
> supporters like yourself, we can build a worldwide movement to 
> celebrate Science and Humanity on the birthday of Charles Darwin.  
> We are very grateful for your generous offer of your translation skills.
> 
> We are currently planning how we can work with you to make a 
> Portugese language version of the Web site. We believe that 
> technically we can deliver the Web pages for all languages, if you 
> can send us the translated words.  We are also thinking about how to 
> handle emails that might come to us from people who communicate only 
> in Portugese.
> 
> Since Darwin Day, February 12, has passed for this year, we believe 
> we should take some time to plan the worldwide (multilingual)
>  communication for Darwin Day in 2006.  We hope to develop the means 
> for the multilingual Web site during the remainder of 2005.  We are 
> making minor changes in the English version of the Web site at this 
> time.  We will send you e-mails when the DarwinDay.org Web site is 
> ready to be translated.  That might occur several weeks from now.
> 

--
Thiago Estevam Parente Martins
Lab. Toxicologia Ambiental
  DCB - ENSP - Fiocruz