Subject: RE: Darwin's 200th Birthday

From: "Bud Mishra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:49:12 -0500

You have my support

Best regards.
_________________________________________________
     bud mishra
     Home: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/cs/faculty/mishra/
     NYU Lab: http://www.bioinformatics.nyu.edu/
_________________________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 9:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday

Dear Dr. Bhubaneswar Mishra,

As a fellow scientist, you may already realize that Darwin's 200th birthday
will occur on February 12th, 2009. Our 'Darwin Day' project is a nonprofit
organization designed to promote an International Celebration of Science and
Humanity each year on, or near, Feb. 12th as we move towards 2009. Darwin
and the theory of evolution are being used as symbols of scientific
progress, and our goal is to achieve a Global Celebration by 2009.
Currently, events are being registered on our Website for 2005.

The purpose of this letter is to invite you to visit our website at
http://darwinday.org  --   and then to consider joining many others in this
constructive educational effort. Our website offers extensive information to
assist you in developing ideas for a 'celebration' that is suitable for your
own unique circumstances.

Supporters include prominent scientists, educators, philosophers, and
writers such as: Patrick Bateson, Provost, Kings College, Cambridge; Edward
O. Wilson, Harvard University; Richard Dawkins, Oxford University; Daniel C.
Dennett, Tufts University; Steven Pinker, MIT; Helena Cronin, London School
of Economics; Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education; Steve
Jones, Univ. College London; and many others. We encourage you to join them
and become an enthusiastic participant in this project.  To sign up quickly,
register at http://darwinday.org/register/index.php .

Sincerely Yours,

Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,
SRI International, formerly Stanford Research Institute.
Chairman of the Board, Darwin Day Celebration, a Nonprofit Corp.
http://darwinday.org

PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Pallen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:27:12 +0000

Bob,

Funny you should send this right now, while I am 
sitting mixing a musical celebration of Origin of 
Species in Dub, in a Jamaican stylee! See 
attached!

  and check these rough drafts out:
http://www.infection.bham.ac.uk/BPAG/Dub/OriginMP3s/

Rest assure plans are going well for our Darwin 
Day celebration. I have just finalized the 
programme (aside to Bob Arnott: see attached).

I will add the event to your web site!

Also, we should start planning for the big one, 
the 200th birthday celebration in Shrewsbury. As 
Birmingham is the nearest university in the world 
(well, proper university), we will obviously be 
involved! Any ideas?

I'll now take a look at the new site!

>Dear Professor Mark Pallen,
>Ý
>We believe you or your organization held an 
>event in February, 2004, that celebrated the 
>life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your 
>event was described on our list of worldwide 
>Darwin Day events at: 
>http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html . 
>If you don't recall the listing, you can search 
>for your name there using your computer's Find 
>or Search feature.
>
>This email is meant to be bothÝa reminder and an invitation.
>
>First, a reminder that another year hasÝpassed 
>and it's time for all of us to begin planning 
>for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that 
>our goal is to build this International 
>Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as 
>we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday 
>onÝFebruary 12th, 2009. ÝWe sincerely hope that 
>you are planning your event for February of 
>2005, and will register your event on our 
>website as you have done in the past.Ý You may 
>use this URL to go right to the registration: 
>http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
>Ý
>Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new 
>Web site' with the same URL as last year: 
>http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few 
>months we have been busyÝbuildingÝthis new 
>websiteÝto expand our outreach and science 
>education efforts, andÝwe hope you will find it 
>anÝattractive and informative resource.  As 
>youÝbrowse the new site you may findÝideas 
>thatÝwillÝhelp you plan your own Darwin Day 
>Celebration.
>
>Most importantly, we hope that once you have 
>planned your Celebration event, you will 
>register and advertise your event at 
>http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .Ý  If 
>you are sure you will hold the event, you may 
>want to register it soon, so that other people 
>can contact you to help you during the next two 
>months.  Together, we can create a new 
>International Celebration of Science and 
>Humanity.
>Ý
>Sincerely yours,
>Ý
>Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,Ý
>Chairman of the Board, DarwinÝDayÝCelebration, a NonprofitÝCorp.
>http://darwinday.org Ý
>Ý
>PS If you do not want to receive additional 
>e-mail from Darwin Day Celebration, simply reply 
>to this e-mail at [email-masked].

-- 

Mark

Professor Mark Pallen
Professor of Microbial Genomics
Bacterial Pathogenesis and Genomics Unit
Room 542, Institute for Biomedical Research,
The Medical School, University of Birmingham, BIRMINGHAM, B15 2TT
[email-masked]
tel ++44(0)121 414 7163
fax ++44 121 414 3454
http://www.infection.bham.ac.uk/BPAG/staff/mpallen.html

---

From: Mark Pallen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:30:57 +0000

Some pictures from last year's Darwin Day in Birmingham, in which 
Rasta poet Benjamin Zephaniah read out some of Erasmus and Charles 
Darwins' antis-slavery poetry and prose!

Feel free to use them on your web site.
-- 

Mark

Professor Mark Pallen

---

From: "Ried Crowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:00:12 -0500

Mr. Stephens,

I certainly did host a Darwin Day celebration in February 2004 (on the campus of Georgia State University in downtown Atlanta, Georgia), and it was a wonderful experience!  Although I am almost 100% sure that I'll be hosting another one in February 2005, I will wait to contact some others about its format before registering the event via the links you provided in your e-mail below.

Thanks for the reminder!

Warmest Regards,
Ried Crowe

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 2:45 AM
Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday

Dear Ried Crowe,

We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004, that celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your event was described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:  http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html .  If you don't recall the listing, you can search for your name there using your computer's Find or Search feature.

This email is meant to be both a reminder and an invitation. 

First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009. We sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and will register your event on our website as you have done in the past. You may use this URL to go right to the registration: http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .

Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL as last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas that will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 

Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration event, you will register and advertise your event at http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.

Sincerely yours, 

PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].

---

From: "HSGP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:23:58 -0700

Hi Bob,

So Amanda isn't the one in charge any more?  Thanks for doing this!

We are looking forward to 2009, when we plan to do HUMANICON 
(www.HumaniconSW.org) back here in Arizona, with a Darwinian theme!

Meanwhile, for 2005, let's use last year's entry, with third annual changed 
to fourth annual, and 195th birthday changed to 196th.  Otherwise, it's all 
the same!...

Humanist Society of Greater Phoenix
Contact: Susan Sackett , tel: 602-426-1313
Event: Fourth Annual Darwin Day Dinner
Date: February 12, 2004, 6:30 p.m.
Location: Joe's Crab Shack, 1604 E. Southern Ave.,Tempe, AZ
Activities: Social event, annual (Darwin) fish dinner with our fellow 
Humanists. We will have handouts, merriment, and the traditional birthday 
toast to our hero, Charles Darwin on the anniversary of his 196th birthday!

Thanks,

Susan

PS -- I remember SRI from back in the '70s, when I worked with Gene 
Roddenberry.  We became friends with Hal Puthoff and Russell Targ and their 
remote viewing experiments.  I know, I know -- CSICOP frowns on this -- but 
we had some eerie experiences!

---

From: Richard & Réjeanne Thain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:13:11 -0500

Yes Bob, the Humanist Association of Ottawa is in the process of organizing
a Darwin Day 2005 event. Thank you for the message.

Richard Thain DDS
Coordinator, HAO Program Committee

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 2:45 AM
Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday

> Dear Dr Richard Thain,
>
> We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004, that
celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your event was
described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:
http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html .  If you don't recall the
listing, you can search for your name there using your computer's Find or
Search feature.
> First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us
to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is
to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as
we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009. We sincerely
hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and will
register your event on our website as you have done in the past. You may use
this URL to go right to the registration:
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
>
> Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL
as last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have
been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science
education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and
informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas that
will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration.
>
> Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration
event, you will register and advertise your event at
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold
the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can
contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create
a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.

---

From: "Vicki Hyde " <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:10:56 +1300

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the email -- we're in the process of organising our next
Darwin Day Celebration here in New Zealand. It's usually been in the
form of a speaker and a birthday cake and a series of such gatherings
around the country. I'll send you details once they are sorted.

The Darwin Day site used to have a lot of really handy ideas
regarding how to celebrate Darwin Day -- recipes for primordial stew
and the like -- which was a great place to point local organisers at
to give them some ideas for what they could do. Has all that info
been dumped with the new site development, or is it somewhere else
now?

Cheers,
Vicki Hyde
Chair-entity======================================================
New Zealand Committee for Scientific Investigation
of Claims of the Paranormal Inc.  (NZ Skeptics)
Box 29-492, Christchurch http://www.skeptics.org.nz

---

From: "Toni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:46:28 -0500

We will be celebrating at our 3rd Annual conference, in Miami Beach Feb. 12
with a Birthday Cake and remarks. Check out our website for conference
details.

Toni Van Pelt
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry-Florida
5201 W. Kennedy Blvd. Suite 124
Tampa FL 33609
813 849-7571P 813 849-7572F
www.cfiflorida.org
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
To: [email-masked]

Dear Toni van Pelt,

First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us
to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is
to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as
we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009.  We
sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and
will register your event on our website as you have done in the past.  You
may use this URL to go right to the registration:
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
 
Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL as
last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have
been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science
education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and
informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas
that will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 

Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration event,
you will register and advertise your event at
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold
the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can
contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create
a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
 
Sincerely yours,

---

From: "John L. Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:43:22 -0500

Dear Darwin Day folks,

	Here at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Jacksonville, we
had Rev. Michael Dowd as our speaker on January 9 on the topic: "The
Epic of Evolution: Bridging Diversity, Inspiring Creativity, and
Empowering Great Work, and, then, Michael led a two hour packed house
workshop Monday evening on "Sustainable Earth: a Hopeful Vision for the
Next 250 Years." On Sunday, February 6, Dr. John Young, our Senior
Minister, follows up with a sermon on: "Evolution Deserves an Evolving
Spirituality." So, we are really celebrating Darwin, along with our
religious education room named for Charles Darwin. Thanks for what you
are doing!  Best Wishes, John Young

-----Original Message-----
To: [email-masked]

Dear John Young,
 
We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004,
that celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your event
was described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:
http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html .  If you don't recall the
listing, you can search for your name there using your computer's Find
or Search feature.

First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of
us to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our
goal is to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity
each year as we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th,
2009.  We sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February
of 2005, and will register your event on our website as you have done in
the past.  You may use this URL to go right to the registration:
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
 
Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same
URL as last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months
we have been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and
science education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive
and informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas
that will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 

Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration
event, you will register and advertise your event at
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will
hold the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people
can contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we
can create a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
 
Sincerely yours,