Subject: [Fwd: Re: Darwin Day event at the Atheists and Other Freethinkers (CA)?]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:55:32 -0800

Here's the lady trying to seque from highly rationalist to a scientific 
focus.  - D

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Darwin Day event at the Atheists and Other Freethinkers (CA)?
Date: 	Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:42:05 EST
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

In a message dated 1/21/2005 7:51:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[email-masked] writes:

     To our Darwin Day friends at the Atheists and Other Freethinkers (CA),

     In late 2002, Arthur Jackson sent you a long email about Darwin
     Day.  This is a reminder that the project is ongoing and growing.

Hi, and thank you for starting and continuing the international Darwin
Day endeavor!

I very much like the new site (the personal/human emphasis helps on this
end of things!).

The following is just, FYI, in case you have interest (or "someone
there" does):

Sacramento's Darwin Day 2005 is already rarin' to go. Our local
celebration is now in its EIGHTH year. Hooray! For prior events listing,
see the Word attachment.

For a glimpse of this year's event, you'll find attached the flyer (in
PDF).
For more information on the featured speaker, go to hagsa.org/darwinday

I am someone who belongs to both founding/sponsoring groups and who got
more intensely involved over time. Co-chair for the past four years
(getting speakers, sponsors) , I have been working hard to transform
what began here as a distinctly "rationalist event" (initiated by
Humanist Association joined by AOF in its second year and jointly
conducted for several years) into an "educational gala" that can draw in
more high school teachers as well as interested public. That task was
arduous for a while, but with persuasion and persistence we now have
several college departments signed on as co-sponsors, NCSE is
circulating our information to its regional list, etc. I am hoping for
more teachers to come this year. I would really love to get the CSTA to
co-sponsor, but they're still in a "wait and see" mode. ;-)

Best to you
Mynga Futrell
(former science educator, teacher educator)
AOF & HAGSA