Subject: A tribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:33:42 EST

A Tribute to Ernst Mayr
 
Ernst Mayr was a giant intellect in his chosen field of evolutionary  biology 
and many will agree with Dr. Jane Maienschein, a science historian at  
Arizona State University when she said she was "surprised at how sad she felt on  
hearing of Professor Mayr's death." Even though he had, had a very long and  
productive life and was still contributing to the field of evolutionary  biology 
after he turned 100 last year we are reluctant to let him go. Dr.  Mayr will 
be remembered for many contributions to the field biology  but perhaps non more 
than for his efforts to bring together  the mechanism of natural selection, 
proposed by  Charles Darwin with those of genetics, currently referred  to as 
the 'modern syntheses of evolutionary theory'  or, neoDarwinism.
 
We at DarwinDay.org owe a special thanks to Dr. Mayr -- as it  was his 
article published in the July issue of Scientific America entitled  Darwin's 
Influence On Modern Thought, also mention  on our Home Page, that helped define our 
mission. In addition, I had  sought his advice last summer on how to more  
effectively internationalize our efforts to Celebrate Science and Humanity  and he 
graciously responded with a hand written letter of advice  that   
I greatly appreciate. 
 
For longer descriptions of Dr. Mayr's career at Harvard and at the  Museum of 
Comparative Zoology (The Agassiz Museum) we refer you to the  following 
websites.
 
Bob Stephens
President, Darwin Day Celebration.