Subject: Fwd: DreamHost Newsletter v7.4 April 2005

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:56:54 EDT

Subject: DreamHost Newsletter v7.4 April 2005
From: DreamHost April Newslettery <[email-masked]>
To: "Dr Robert J. Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

0.  Introduction.
1.  To www or not to www?
2.  Upgrades.
3.  Not upgrades.
4.  DHSOTM.

########################################################################
0.  Introduction.

Hello, and welcome to a new era in DreamHost newslettery. Starting with
this April issue I, "Tweeny," will be taking over for my new husband
Josh. Just as Josh has, I am confident you will also appreciate the 
vastly improved maturity we are adopting at DreamHost.  And just as Josh
has wised up and finally seen the importance of responsibility and 
respectability, I implore you, once Happy DreamHost Customers to do the 
same. 

In honor of this upgrade to Josh's previously lack-luster and depraved
existence, the theme of this newsletter is "upgrades". I dearly hope 
some of the software upgrades revealed below make a small impact on the 
dreary existence on those of you reading this most deserving of pity.. 
the unmarried!

Oh, and one last thing.. there will be absolutely no steamy details of 
our wedding night this issue. Those of you just reading because of last 
month's promise will be sorely disappointed and might as well quit 
reading now. You should also be ashamed of yourselves. Anyway, you
wouldn't be missing anything good.. trust me.

########################################################################
1.  To www or not to www?

One thing Josh begged me to mention this issue that I've decided to
humor him on is the mention of a new "feature" DreamHost has added. I
don't really see how this relates to raising children or buying a house,
but I guess not every DreamHost Customer has their priorities in order.

Anyway, now when setting up a domain you can choose how you'd like the 
"www" portion of the URL to behave. The options are as follows:

    1. Both http://www.?@#!.com/ and http://?@#!.com/ work.
    2. http://www.?@#!.com/ automatically redirects to http://?@#!.com/
    3. http://?@#!.com/ automatically redirects to http://www.?@#!.com/

And that's it. Pretty simple. You can choose the setting you'd like when
adding a domain (or sub-domain) from:

       https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=domain.adddomain

You can also change the setting on existing domains and sub-domains by
clicking the "edit" link at:

       https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=domain.web

But seriously, why are you wasting your time with such frivolities when
you don't even have life insurance or a living will yet?

########################################################################
2.  Upgrades.

As I promised, Josh isn't the only one getting an upgrade this month.

Here are all the upgrades DreamHost did for all shared hosting customers
in the past 30 days, in order of how likely they are to get you to buy a
minivan:

 PhpMyAdmin upgraded to 2.6.1
 SquirrelMail (the webmail program) upgraded to 1.4.4
 Analog (the stats program) upgraded to 6.0
 Python 2.3.5 (but.. must be accessed as python2.3)
 Ruby 1.8.2  (but .. must be accessed as ruby1.8)
 Java 5.0 (it's really 1.5, but they've decided to call it 5.0)

Please try not to be ungrateful for all the tireless work they've put
in, without expecting anything in return except maybe the occasional
"I love you" and perhaps a card and some chocolates on their birthday
or a trip to Paris.

########################################################################
3.  Not upgrades.

The web hosting relationship must be one of mutual respect and honest
exchange, as well as one of healthy give and take.

Which is why, DreamHost has yet to upgrade these frequently-requested 
services:

  MySQL
  PHP
  Perl
  (as well as anything else not mentioned in this newsletter).

They're sorry, they hope to upgrade them very soon, but these are pretty
major changes and take a bit longer. Rather than complain about it, why 
not just be patient and while you're at it, take out the trash and feed 
the dog and clean the bathroom a little? Now THAT would be using your 
head.

########################################################################
4.  DHSOTM.

This month's DreamHost Site of the Marriage is a site with bunches of
web-related tips, tricks and tutorials, contributed by various gurus who
I doubt have ever changed a poopy diaper in their combined lives:

       http://www.gurunetwork.com/

Is still a nice site though! And if you have a nice site you'd like to
one day possibly get mentioned here, just go submit it at:

       https://panel.dreamhost.com/?home.dhsotm

########################################################################
To Love, Honor, and Cherish,
Not Josh!

P.S. Maybe you should stop wasting 3 minutes a month reading this drivel
and take that time to say "I Love You" to your spouse.

       https://panel.dreamhost.com/id/?tab=contact

(unsubscribe there)