Subject: (no subject)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:50:17 EST

In the year 2000, after a serendipitous  meeting between two Darwin 
enthusiasts, Amanda Chesworth and Bob Stephens  -- they co-founded the Darwin Day 
Program. Bob became  Chairman of the Board and President of the nonprofit 
corporation while  Amanda became a member of the Board, Secretary and Executive  
Director of the Program. Amanda's interest in Darwin complemented those of  Dr. 
Stephen's by having had a long-standing interest in  Darwinian evolution and also, 
by having independently hosted previous Darwin events. The third member  of 
the Board was Dr. Massimo Pigliucci who, also independently,  initiated an 
annual Darwin Day event at the University of Tennessee in  1997, became the Vice 
President (link to the U. of Tennessee's DD  page). Arthur Jackson who had been 
involved since the original  Darwin Day Celebration in 1995 became a member 
of the Board in  2002. Much was accomplished during  the next 3 years and much 
of the credit goes to Amanda. The number of  EVENTS that took place around the 
world increased substantially over these years  and thousands of people 
attended these events to learn more about Darwin.  More importantly however, they 
learned about Science and the role of humans  in developing the Scientific 
Method that permitted the acquisition of an  enormous amount of verifiable 
scientific knowledge, that is now available to  modern humans. To Amanda's credit, a 
substantial book was published in 2003 by  Tangled Bank Press entitled Darwin 
Day Collection One. For current and ongoing  information about Darwin Day 
Celebration please go to  'Organization.'