Subject: [Fwd: PARC Forum, May 5, 4 pm, Jeffrey Boore on "Why Evolutionary Biology and Genome Sciences Need Each Other"]

From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:01:18 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: PARC Forum, May 5, 4 pm,  Jeffrey Boore on "Why Evolutionary  Biology 
and Genome Sciences Need Each Other"
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:46:46 PDT
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

PARC Forum: Thursday May 5, 2005 at 4:00 PM, George E. Pake Auditorium,
Palo Alto, CA

        Why Evolutionary Biology and Genome Sciences Need Each Other

         Jeffrey L. Boore, DOE Joint Genome Institute and UC-Berkeley

This forum is OPEN to the public.

ABSTRACT:
The Joint Genome Institute (JCG) is one of the world's largest producers of
DNA sequence,
currently generating over 3,000,000,000 nucleotides per month.  JGI was
originally constructed
as part of the effort to sequence the human genome, but now this capacity
is being directed toward
understanding the "blueprints" for many other organisms, including animals,
plants, fungi, protists,
bacteria, and archaea.  Consequently, the community of evolutionary
biologists has much to gain and offer,
for written in these volumes of the "Genetic Book of the Dead", in a
language we do not yet fully
understand, is the history of the evolutionary changes that have shaped the
diversity of life.
We have the chance as never before to understand the grand sweep of organic
evolution,
from bats to bacteria, from worms to wolves, from frogs to fruit flies.  It
is just now becoming
possible to evaluate the role of genomic factors (for example, gene
movements, duplications, and losses)
in shaping organismal change, and to correlate genomic features of
particular groups of organisms
with their novel physical, physiological, or behavioral traits.

The Evolutionary Genomics program at JGI draws together researchers of
diverse specialties,
including evolutionary and organismal biology, biogeography, paleontology,
software development,
and computational biology.  The talk will describe in general terms this
burgeoning field
and highlight several recent JGI projects at the interface of genome
sciences and evolutionary biology.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Jeffrey Boore is the head of the Evolutionary Genomics Program at DOE JGI
and an adjunct professor in the Department of Integrative Biology at
UC-Berkeley.
He has played a leadership role in the transition of JGI from a human
genome sequencing center
to a comparative genomics center.  He has developed software tools for
inferring gene function,
interpreting patterns of genome evolution, and analyzing and annotating
organelle genomes.
He has made significant contributions to understanding genome evolution and
reconstructing
deep evolutionary relationships among major groups of animals, plants, and
protists.

ABOUT PARC FORUM:

Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) is located at 3333 Coyote Hill Road in
Palo Alto, California.
A road map and driving directions are available at
http://www.parc.com/company/directions.html.
The George Pake Auditorium is to the left of the main entrance, near the
upper parking lot; follow the signs.
For more information about the PARC Forum, see http://www.parc.com/forum.

UPCOMING FORUMS

May 12:   Albert Haldemann, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, on Mars Rovers

May 19:   David Kelley, IDEO

---------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]
Palo Alto Research Center Inc.
3333 Coyote Hill Rd Palo Alto, CA 94304
Phone: (650) 812-4443

---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:

You are receiving this message because you have signed up to receive
announcements at the e-mail address to which this notice was sent.  If you
would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please go to
http://www.parc.com/contact/subscribe.html and request this e-mail address
be unsubscribed.

-- 
  David Harris, Palo Alto, California.
  GPS location: 37.41988, -122.13388 (1984 World Geodetic Survey system).
  Active account:  [email-masked]
  Phone: 1-650-856-9126 (has answering machine or me)
  Lifetime e-mail forwarding:  [email-masked]
  Postal ("snail mail") address: David Harris
                                 Medintrans
                                 455 Margarita Ave.
                                 Palo Alto, CA  94306-2827