Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday

From: "Dr. R. Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:35:00 -0800

Dear David C. Harris,
 
We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004, that celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your event was described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:  http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html .  If you don't recall the listing, you can search for your name there using your computer's Find or Search feature.

This email is meant to be both a reminder and an invitation. 

First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009.  We sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and will register your event on our website as you have done in the past.  You may use this URL to go right to the registration: http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
 
Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL as last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas that will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 

Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration event, you will register and advertise your event at http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
 
Sincerely yours, 
 
Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program, 
SRI International, formerly Stanford Research Institute.
Chairman of the Board, Darwin Day Celebration, a Nonprofit Corp.
http://darwinday.org   
 
PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].

---

From: Mark Pallen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:18:38 +0000

>Dear Prof. Pallen,
>
>Thank you for the pictures, and for registering your 2005 musical 
>Darwin Day event.
>
>I feel that it is valuable to convey the great human DECENCY of the 
>Darwin and Wedgwood families.  The famous anti-slavery Wedgwood 
>plaque with the question "Am I Not a Man?" touched my emotions when 
>I first saw it online.
>
>I am delighted that geneticists like yourself are collaborating with 
>the Rastafarian community.  Their music is so expressive.  It's 
>occurred to me that there is a need for some new music that conveys 
>and celebrates the ideas from the recent DNA-based insights that we 
>are ALL from Africa, 100,000 years ago, and that skin color is just 
>an evolved adaptation to the amount of daily sunlight at a person's 
>latitude of residence.  Brotherhood has always struck me as more 
>attractive than racism.
>
>   - David Harris, Database Architect at DarwinDay.org
>
>Mark Pallen wrote:
>
>>  Some pictures from last year's Darwin Day in Birmingham, in which 
>>Rasta poet Benjamin Zephaniah read out some of Erasmus and Charles 
>>Darwins' antis-slavery poetry and prose!
>>  Feel free to use them on your web site.
>...

check out latest versions of the mixes here:
http://www.infection.bham.ac.uk/BPAG/Dub/OriginMP3s/
NOT for public distribution! YET!! Still work in progress!
-- 

Mark

Professor Mark Pallen
Professor of Microbial Genomics
Bacterial Pathogenesis and Genomics Unit
Room 542, Institute for Biomedical Research,
The Medical School, University of Birmingham, BIRMINGHAM, B15 2TT
[email-masked]
tel ++44(0)121 414 7163
fax ++44 121 414 3454
http://www.infection.bham.ac.uk/BPAG/staff/mpallen.html

---

From: "John L. Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:06:25 -0500

Dear David Harris,

	Thanks for your e-mails and our help. We will be celebrating
Darwin Day each February. Attached is my sermon from last Sunday. Best
wishes, John Young

-----Original Message-----
From: David Harris [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 6:18 PM
To: John L. Young
Subject: Re: Darwin's 200th Birthday

Dear Rev. Young,

Thank you for the encouraging report.  Although I am the son of an 
originally Lutheran minister, I have gradually migrated into the UU 
church in Palo Alto, California, because the UU path celebrates the 
SEARCH for truth of all kinds, rather than a PARTICULAR SET of 
conclusions, which become outmoded with passage of time.  Also, the UU 
people feel so "sypatico" to my world view and spirit.

Would you be willing to register your sermon of February 6 on the 
darwinday.org Web site?  The URL or the registration page is 
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .  If that is inconvenient, 
could you tell me an URL where I could get enough details to invite 
people to attend your sermon event?

Thank you for your expression of a religiously inspiring view of 
evolution's importance and value.

   - David Harris, Database Architect and Outreach Officer
     DarwinDay.org

John L. Young wrote:
> Dear Darwin Day folks,
> 
> 	Here at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Jacksonville, we
> had Rev. Michael Dowd as our speaker on January 9 on the topic: "The
> Epic of Evolution: Bridging Diversity, Inspiring Creativity, and
> Empowering Great Work, and, then, Michael led a two hour packed house
> workshop Monday evening on "Sustainable Earth: a Hopeful Vision for
the
> Next 250 Years." On Sunday, February 6, Dr. John Young, our Senior
> Minister, follows up with a sermon on: "Evolution Deserves an Evolving
> Spirituality." So, we are really celebrating Darwin, along with our
> religious education room named for Charles Darwin. Thanks for what you
> are doing!  Best Wishes, John Young
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 2:45 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday
> 
> Dear John Young,
>  
> We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004,
> that celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your
event
> was described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:
> http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html .  If you don't recall the
> listing, you can search for your name there using your computer's Find
> or Search feature.
> 
> First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all
of
> us to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our
> goal is to build this International Celebration of Science and
Humanity
> each year as we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th,
> 2009.  We sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February
> of 2005, and will register your event on our website as you have done
in
> the past.  You may use this URL to go right to the registration:
> http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
>  
> Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same
> URL as last year: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few
months
> we have been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and
> science education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive
> and informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find
ideas
> that will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 
> 
> Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration
> event, you will register and advertise your event at
> http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will
> hold the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people
> can contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we
> can create a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
>  
> Sincerely yours, 
>  
> PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day
> Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>