Subject: Fwd: [CDU eNews] - HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES DARWIN: Survival of the fittest

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:49:03 EST

Subject: [CDU eNews] - HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES DARWIN: Survival of the fittest
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:50:24 +0930
List-Id: CDU eNews <cdu-media-releases.lists.cdu.edu.au>

***** Charles Darwin University eNews *****

For all the latest news visit our News Room at http://www.cdu.edu.au/newsroom

Happy birthday, Charles Darwin:  survival of the fittest

Charles Darwin University is celebrating a special birthday tomorrow
(Saturday, February 12) - it's the anniversary of the birth of Charles
Darwin, the man after whom the University is named.

Darwin, a British naturalist, shot to fame in the mid-19th century with his
publication The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection.

Much of Charles Darwin's work is taught, or underpins, biology teaching of
today. Dr Richard  Noske, Senior Lecturer in Biology at Charles Darwin
University, said: "Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural
selection is a central tenet of biology to this day, and it forms the
backbone of our undergraduate teaching, from our first year study of the
diversity of life through to third year behavioural and physiological
ecology."

Professor Stephen Garnett, Chair of Tropical Knowledge said, ironically,
the Northern Territory was witnessing a significant example of evolution
and natural selection with the arrival on Darwin's doorstep of the dreaded
cane toad.

"The cane toads' spread and their fight to the death with wildlife such as
snakes, goannas and quolls is a classic example of a major evolutionary
process, albeit one that was generated accidentally and artificially in
Queensland," Professor Garnett said. "We are seeing a battle between
species and, ultimately, a survival of the fittest through the process of
natural selection first identified by Charles Darwin."

Darwin's argument, that natural selection - the mechanism of evolution -
worked automatically, attracted much criticism at the time because it left
no room for divine guidance or design. In later years, though, his
hypothesis - that Man is descended from the apes - has been accepted
widely.

Darwin travelled on the surveying expedition of the Royal Navy's HMS Beagle
to Patagonia, Teneriffe, the Cape Verde Islands, Brazil and the Galapagos
Islands, from 1831 to 1836, during which he contracted a tropical illness,
which made him a semi-invalid for the rest of his life. His voyage is
recorded in the Journal of Researches (1836), a blend of scientific
reporting and travel writing, regarded as one of the best travel books ever
written.

A website is dedicated to Darwin Day Celebration - an international
recognition of science and humanity. It also proclaims DNA is at the heart
of evolution. It can be found on www.darwinday.org

Charles Robert Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, UK, on February 12, 1809. It
will be the 200th anniversary of his birth in four years' time. Charles
Darwin University plans to recognise the occasion, possibly with a major
conference or symposium involving overseas speakers.

Professor Stephen Garnett is available for interview about the survival of
the fittest
on 8946 7115 or 0408 832109. Dr Noske is available on 8946 6359

Peter Hurt
Media Manager
Charles Darwin University
Tel: 08 8946 6019 or 0438 466 439

CRICOS Provider No: 00300K

________________________________________

JOINING OR LEAVING THE CDU eNEWS LIST
If you no longer wish to receive updates through the CDU eNews, please
return this email and place the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject field.

If you know others who would like to join the CDU eNews list, they can join
through our website at www.cdu.edu.au/newsroom or by sending us an email at
[email-masked] and place word SUBSCRIBE in the subject field.
________________________________________

PRIVACY
Your Privacy is important to us. No names or details in our eNews mailing list
are shared with other organisations or used for any purpose other than to
provide updates on the CDU and related issues.
_______________________________________________
cdu-media-releases mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cdu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/cdu-media-releases