Subject: Darwin Day Celebrations NYC area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:00:49 EST

FEBRUARY 10 & 11

Darwin Day in Long Island hosted by our own Dr. Massimo Pigliucci!Take part 
in a number of events on Thursday and Friday, February 10 & 11, 2005! Go to 
darwinsbu.org for all the information!

Location: Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794

Stony Brook University is situated on a 1,100 acre site on the north shore of 
Long Island in southeastern New York. We are approximately 60 miles east of 
New York City and accessible via Long Island Railroad out of Grand Central 
Terminal.  By Car From New York City, take the Long Island Expressway (LIE, I-495) 
eastbound from the Queens Midtown Tunnel in Manhattan or the Throgs Neck 
Bridge or Whitestone Bridge in Queens to exit 62, and follow Nicolls Road (Route 
97) north for 9 miles. The main entrance to the University is on the left.  The 
LIRR stops at the northern end of the campus.You may also visit 
http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/directions.shtml for directions.

Details:

CFI - On Campus NYC Regional Conference Featuring Daniel Dennett

On February 10th, CFI - On Campus hosts a regional campus conference at State 
University of New York - Stony Brook featuring philosopher Daniel Dennett, 
evolutionary biologist Massimo Pigliucci, and DJ Grothe of the Center for 
Inquiry. This event is free of charge and it will be a great way for students, 
faculty, staff and others interested in the campus movement to share their 
experiences and gain new skills for campus organizing.All activities take place at 
SUNY - Stony Brook main campus, Stony Brook, New York. The following is a 
tentative schedule of events for the day:2:00 - 3:30 p.m.: Professor Daniel Dennett, 
Tufts University, "Religion as a Natural Phenomenon," 038 Life Sciences 
Bldg.3:45 p.m.: Campus organizing meeting begins. 118 Life Sciences Bldg. DJ Grothe, 
CFI's director of campus and community programs, speaks about CFI's goals and 
why they are important to college students and others involved in 
education4:30 p.m.: Professor Massimo Pigliucci, Stony Brook, speaks on Long Island 
rationalist activities and his experiences as a campus debater of leading 
creationists and theologians.4:45 p.m.: Dr. Austin Dacey, CFI's director of research 
and education, speaks about CFI's educational programs and opportunities in the 
New York area and nationwide.5:30 p.m.: Dinner served5:45 p.m.: Group session 
on what problems and successes groups have had. Participants interact and work 
collaboratively to seek solutions to problems, while sharing successful 
methods with others6:30 p.m.: Concluding remarks.7:00 p.m.: Daniel Dennett, 
"Freedom Evolves," Wang Center Lecture Hall 2To RSVP for this event, or for more 
information, please e-mail [email-masked] or call 716.636.4869 ext 
315.

FEBRUARY 12

Darwin Day in New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.Location: Arbor Glen Continuing Care 
Retirement Community, 100 Monroe Street, Bridgewater, NJ

Contact: Barry Seidman by e-mail or call him at 973.541.0049

Details: Charles Robert Darwin  was born on February 12, 1809, in Shrewsbury, 
England. Darwin Day is an international celebration of science and humanity 
as exemplified in the life, work and influence of this great scientist.   It is 
celebrated by people around the world who value the adventurous spirit and 
natural curiosity that scientists and explorers of all kinds share.This year 
CFI-NJ welcomes back singer-songwriter Sonny Meadows, whose popular song “Charlie 
Got it Right” has graced previous Darwin Day celebrations and has been 
featured on WBAI’s “Equal Time for Freethought.”  

Victoria Alexander will also be on hand to talk about her work with the 
Dactyl Foundation, whose programs are “designed to develop an aesthetic that is 
informed by science, history and philosophy and that takes into consideration 
both the intellectual and intuitive responses to art.”  

Alexander did her dissertation research in teleology, evolutionary theory, 
and complexity science.  

This year’s keynote talk will be given by Dr. Joseph L. Graves, Jr., a 
leading evolutionary biologist and University Core Director and Professor of 
Biological Sciences at Fairleigh Dickinson University.  Dr. Graves is the author of 
The Emperor's New Cloths and The Race Myth: Why We Pretend Race Exists in 
America. 

Darwin Day 2005 will be held at Arbor Glen Continuing Care Retirement 
Community--100 Monroe Street, Bridgewater, NJ--beginning at 7:30pm.  The cost is 
$10.00 for adults over 17, and free for those 17 and under.

FEBRUARY 17

Charles Darwin Memorial Lecture:
"Is it Wrong to Try to Improve Human Nature?"

The distinguished bioethicist Arthur Caplan, director of the Center for 
Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania, will pose the critical question, “Is 
it Wrong to Try to Improve Human Nature?,” in a lecture honoring Charles Darwin 
on February 17. This year marks the 196th anniversary of the birth of the man 
whom many consider the greatest scientist who ever lived. As we move toward 
the Darwin bicentennial, the theory of evolution is under increasing attack 
from American fundamentalists determined to replace science teaching in public 
schools with biblically inspired speculation about the origins of the universe. 
At this critical juncture, join us for a celebration of science and 
reason.This lecture is sponsored by the Center for Inquiry-Metro New York and will be 
held at The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York 
located at 20 W. 44th Street.Thursday, February 17, at 6:30 p.m. Reserve a seat 
(no later than February 11) and avoid a wait in line by paying $10 in advance 
by check or credit card to the Center for Inquiry. Unreserved seats will be 
available at the door. For information or to reserve call CFI-Metro New York at 
212.265.2877.   

Yours,

Barry F. Seidman

Barry F. Seidman
NJ Coordinator; CFI MetroNY
973-541-0049
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
www.cfimetrony.org
www.barryfseidman.com