Subject: HostRocket.com Ticket Response [176539 - 3eeab4edf67726c6f3908ddc704bc935]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:20:05 -0500 (EST)

Trouble Ticket Response To Ticket #176539
Newest Response Sent on 2005-03-23 at 05:20:05 EST:

Hi David,

Unfortunately the option to convert IP addresses into
canonical host names you are referring to in Webalizer
requires that the Apache web server do a reverse DNS
lookup on each IP that is logged, which causes a lot
of extra strain on the server and which slows overall
server performance noticably.

While we had this option enabled on some servers in the
past we were forced to phase this out as it was found
that the increased overhead and increased processing
power needed to resolve millions of IP addresses nightly
places too much of a demand on our shared hosting servers
and results in severe performance drops while the daily
statistics are being processed.

If you need access to this information you can install
your own local copy of the Webalizer stats analysis
script (available at http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ )
setting it up to perform reverse DNS lookups. This
would also allow you to customize the Webalizer reports
to suit your needs and preferences.

If you have any further questions or if you need anything
else please let me know. Thank you for using HostRocket!

-Don Schneider
HostRocket Support
Please Rate This Response At: http://ticketfeedback.hostrocket.com

Use This Form To Send Another Response:

Original Question Sent on 2005-03-22 at 17:49:33 EST:

Webalizer has not been looking up IP's from the raw log files, for over
a month. So we don't see what country, top level domain, etc., for
any of our visitors.

Is this something for which we must do something to re-activate?

- David Harris, Info Person at [email-masked]

Followup Response sent by Support on 2005-03-23 at 05:20:05:

Hi David,

Unfortunately the option to convert IP addresses into
canonical host names you are referring to in Webalizer
requires that the Apache web server do a reverse DNS
lookup on each IP that is logged, which causes a lot
of extra strain on the server and which slows overall
server performance noticably.

While we had this option enabled on some servers in the
past we were forced to phase this out as it was found
that the increased overhead and increased processing
power needed to resolve millions of IP addresses nightly
places too much of a demand on our shared hosting servers
and results in severe performance drops while the daily
statistics are being processed.

If you need access to this information you can install
your own local copy of the Webalizer stats analysis
script (available at http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ )
setting it up to perform reverse DNS lookups. This
would also allow you to customize the Webalizer reports
to suit your needs and preferences.

If you have any further questions or if you need anything
else please let me know. Thank you for using HostRocket!

-Don Schneider
HostRocket Support
Please Rate This Response At: http://ticketfeedback.hostrocket.com