Subject: Re info for you from dreamhost?????

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:55:37 EST

0.  Introduction.
1.  Good news!
2.  Bad  news!
3.  Good news!
4.  Charities, they are a  changin'
5.   DHSOTM.

########################################################################
0.   Introduction.

Happy November 2004 DreamHost newsletter everybody! How was  (if you are
American) your Thanksgiving? Mine was fine... I just did the  usual. 
Trotted over to Istanbul where I went bowling. After getting three  
strikes in a row I quit smoking on the spot. So, pretty exciting days.  I
only wish I'd gotten a little turkey along the way.

Anyway, that's  all a distant memory now, what with the November 
newsletter coming out its  standard 2-3 days into December. Sorry! But
at least I have some good news  and some bad news and then some good news
again! So strap yourself in to your  good-news/bad-news/good-news seats
and hang on  tight...

########################################################################
1.   Good news!

First the good news: The tests are in and all DreamHost  customers have
24 hours to live! The bad news is I meant to send this  newsletter out
yesterday. HA! (I guess the good news is if you're reading  this the
tests were off by a day.)

The other GOOD news is we've just  added a new great free "goodie" for 
everybody to gobble up. Now you can  install WordPress, the fast, full-
featured, stable, low-carb, easy-to-use,  free, open source weblog 
software on any fully-hosted DreamHost domain with  just one click here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=goodies.wordpress

Wordpress is pretty  much just like Movable Type, which a lot of you may 
be familiar with.. in  fact, once you've installed it you can even 
convert a Movable Type blog (or  a bunch of other types) over to it 
pretty easily by following the  instructions you get emailed! 

Why didn't we make it so you could just  install Movable Type itself with
one click instead? Somewhat because Movable  Type is a commercial product,
and they would require us to do some sort of  weird registration for all 
our users with them in order to even install the  free version. Also, 
WordPress doesn't require "rebuilding" your blog every  time you publish. 

Mostly though, installing WordPress was eleven times  easier for  us.

########################################################################
2.   Bad news!

The good news is traffic to your website is growing like crazy!  The bad 
news is it's from all those warez files uploaded by the d00d who  hacked 
your site. HA! (I guess the good news is hey, more warez for  you!)
(Disclaimer: that was a joke. We do not condone piracy of any kind and  
any illegal dealings of any kind are of course grounds for  immediate
account termination without refund, d00dz!)

The other BAD  news is, we're immediately discontinuing that policy we
added a few months  ago about dropping the highest day from people's 
monthly bandwidth usage  calculations. We're sorry! But we DO have some
semi-good reasons for removing  it:

1. It was really confusing for some people.
2. Some  of those people worked for DreamHost.
3. Some of them even programmed  the feature.
4. Some people weren't confused by it at all, and in fact  set up
31 different sub-domains which each would only  serve huge files
one day a month! Way to ruin it for  everybody, d00dz.

Sorry folks! BUT, maybe the next section will make up  for it a  bit...

########################################################################
3.   Good news!

Hey, good news: I'm almost done writing this newsletter! But,  bad news:
I write it in reverse order. HA! (I guess the good news is I'm  also
dyslexic.)

And the other GOOD news is, for the month of December,  starting just 
before you got this newsletter, all new shared hosting plans  get TRIPLE 
the normal bandwidth allotment.. for the entire life of the plan!  That 
means our plans now look like:

Crazy  Domain Insane: 120GB/month!
Sweet Dreams:   144GB/month!!
Code  Monster:        192GB/month!!!
Strictly Business:   264GB/month!!!!

But wait that's not all.  You don't think we'd leave out all our awesome
current customers, did you?  Noooooo, of course not... especially since
the only people reading this  newsletter ARE current customers! That'd be
like the time when I called up  all my homeless friends to tell them 
about how totally sweet my new Bentley  handled.

So, guess what? As of right now, all current shared hosting  plans ALSO 
get triple their current bandwidth allotments.. FOREVER! Don't  say 
DreamHost never gave you some good news after some bad news after some  
good news, d00dz!

Oh yeah, we also dropped the overage price for  bandwidth to just $1/GB
on CDI and SD, and just $0.50/GB on CM and SB. Of  course that's pretty
much moot at this point.. who's ever going to go over  these new  limits!

########################################################################
4.   Charities, they are a changin'

The good news is, we've got some new  charities to donate to.. Project 
Spera and Scholarship America, both  educational. The bad news is, you
can no longer donate to the Sierra Club or  the Wikimedia Foundation. The
good news is, we got $311.22 from 21 donors for  the Wikimedia Foundation
and $350 from 14 donors for the Sierra Club, and  then matched them!

The bad news is, there's no joke in there.

The  good news is, go donate via DreamHost to these two new charities  at:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=home.charity

and get your donations  matched! This is the season for giving! Almost as
much as it is the season  for  receiving!

########################################################################
5.   DHSOTM.

The good news is this month's DHSOTM winner is NOT a flash-based  
personal portfolio!!!!!

http://www.visualsubjectmatter.com/

A store and "urban art" gallery in  Orange Country, California.

The bad news is, their site still uses  flash.

The good news is, you can submit your OWN hopefully flash-free  site to 
be voted on by your Happy DreamHost Peers at:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=home.dhsotm

The bad news is,  there's no prize other than mention in a newsletter 
with an estimated  subscriber base of about  22.

########################################################################
The  good news is,
Josh!

The bad news is if you want to unsubscribe, go  to:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/id/?tab=contact

The good news is, please  don't!