Subject: PARC Forum, October 6, 4pm, Tony DeRose speaks on "Math in the Movies"

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:53:42 PDT

"Math in the Movies"

Tony DeRose, Pixar Animation Studios

Thursday, 6 October 2005, 4 PM, George E. Pake Auditorium, Palo Alto, 
CA.  This forum is OPEN to the public.

ABSTRACT

Film making is undergoing a digital revolution brought on by advances in 
areas such as computer technology, computational physics and computer 
graphics. This talk will provide a behind the scenes look at how fully 
digital films, such as Pixar's "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles", are 
made, with particular emphasis on the role that mathematics plays in the 
revolution.

BIOGRAPHY: Tony DeRose

Tony DeRose is currently a Senior Scientist and lead of the Research 
Group at Pixar Animation Studios. He received a Ph.D. in Computer 
Science from the University of California, Berkeley in 1985. From 1985 
to 1995 Dr. DeRose was a Professor of Computer Science and Engineering 
at the University of Washington. In 1998, he was a major contributor to 
the Oscar winning short film "Geri's game", and in 1999 he received the 
ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics Achievement Award.

ABOUT PARC FORUM:

Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) is located at 3333 Coyote Hill Road in 
Palo Alto, California.  A road map and driving directions are available 
at http://www.parc.com/company/directions.html  The George Pake 
Auditorium is to the left of the main entrance, near the upper parking 
lot; follow the signs.  For more information about the PARC Forum, see 
http://www.parc.com/forum

UPCOMING FORUMS:

October 13: Mark Levine, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Energy Efficiency 
in China: Glorious History, Uncertain Future

October 20: Franklin M. Orr (Lynn Orr), Stanford University, part of the 
Science and Technology for a Sustainable World series

---------------------------------------------------------
Palo Alto Research Center Inc.
Phone: (650) 812-4000
3333 Coyote Hill Rd
http://www.parc.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:
If you would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please send 
email to [email-masked] specifying the e-mail address to be unsubscribed 
and the distribution list from which you would like to be removed.