Subject: [extropy-chat] She's Such a Geek! contest

From: Amara Graps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:43:35 +0100

>http://www.inklingmagazine.com/articles/comments/shes-such-a-geek-photo-contest/#comments

Yes, there is a comma missing (from my lazy copy-and- paste from the
website): Lady Lovelace, Ada Byron
                        ^

The poster lady of interest was born Augusta Ada Byron, and then
became Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace.

And thanks for your support of my Geekness! After years of hiding that
part of my character, I'm out of the closet, now. G-E-E-K-A-R-E-L-L-A.
I can say it. I own my Geekness.

Emlyn: You ask: why was I looking through that doodad and not a funky
telescope?

1) For 4 minutes of Ecstasy, I did not want to be fiddling with instruments.

2) I was in Turkey also to celebrate my birthday, and I didn't want to carry
too much 'stuff.

3) I could not convince any of my geeky girlfriends to join me on my
Wild Wome(a)n Adventure, so there was no one to help me carry all
that extra 'stuff.

4) I don't own a telescope!

But sometimes I can borrow one:  (here, 25 years ago)
http://www.amara.com/VWTelescope_b.jpg

Some years ago, a photography friend told me that big cameras with
telephoto lenses are like penis-extensions (he was a guy, I guess it
would be penis-substitutes for girls). I do have a big camera, with
a very large lens. (http://www.amara.com/photo/ALGmontage.jpg)

Therefore, taking that concept to its logical extension, I think that
telescopes probing the universe work the same way for astronomers.

Examples of some of my telescopes:    :-)

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/comets/images/rosetta_big.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dawn_after_installation_of_high_gain_antenna.jpg

Ciao!
Amara
-- 

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA
Associate Research Scientist, Planetary Science Institute (PSI), Tucson
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat