Subject: Darwin Day 2007: celebrate Science and Humanity!

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:05:54 +0000

Darwin Day Celebration's DNA circle logo

       Darwin Day Celebration

    AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND HUMANITY

        2682 Middlefield Rd., Suite P, Redwood City, CA 94063 *
    [email-masked] * 650-701-1948

Dear Librarian,

Each year Darwin Day (DD) celebrations, in recognition of Science and 
Humanity, take place on, or near February 12, Charles Darwin's birthday. 
Many libraries have become a part of this tradition by developing a 
display or activity appropriate for the occasion at their facility. If 
your library has participated in past years, */take a bow! /*If it has 
not, we hope you will be a part of Darwin Day in 2007. These 
celebrations provide an opportunity for you to display your unique 
collection of books on evolutionary science for all to see and 
appreciate, and to encourage their use. Most events are sponsored by 
existing institutions such as universities; colleges, museums, churches, 
and libraries as well as private groups and now is the time to start 
planning for 2007 -- Charles Darwin's 198^th birthday. Don't forget, 
there are only two more years before there will be a GLOBAL CELEBRATION 
for Darwin's *bicentennial* birthday in 2009!

To see what others are doing and to get some fresh ideas, please take 
time to visit our updated Home page at _www.darwinday.org 
<http://www.darwinday.org/>_, and browse the section on /"Examples on 
How to Celebrate Science and Humanity," /toward the bottom of the page. 
Note that this year's Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, Roger Kornberg, 
recommended the *celebration of science* on the _PBS News Hour 
<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec06/nobel_10-04.html>_, 
on October 3, 2006. Take a little time to click on the various examples 
of Websites that have been developed for Darwin Day (DD) events in the 
past. For instance there are samples for universities, colleges, high 
schools, K-12, museums, _libraries 
<http://darwinday.org/englishL/links/links1.html#libraries>_, churches, 
and more. There are also examples of some very exceptional projects that 
are being planned for Darwin's birthday _bicentennial in 2009 
<http://darwinday.org/englishL/links/links1.html#events2009>_.

As was reported earlier this year, the DD celebration on February 12, 
2006, was a tremendous success, with over 650 events being held around 
the world in at least 13 countries. In addition, */together/* */we made 
the news in a big way/*, appearing in over 150 newspapers, E-news 
articles and even on prime time TV news. All in all, we believe that DD 
Events and reports in the media reached at least a few million members 
of the public with a positive educational opportunity to learn more 
about evolution.

To prepare for the */Global Bicentennial Celebration in 2009 /*our staff 
is currently having our website translated into many different languages 
so that we can reach out to the international community more 
effectively. We hope that you are planning ahead to be a part of this 
historic celebration of Darwin, Science and Humanity.

Sincere thanks for your support,

Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c)(3) 
corp.
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>_
Website: _http://darwinday.org <http://darwinday.org/>_

P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply send an e-mail to 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>_, using 
the account you want unsubscribed. If using that account is not 
possible, send the information from another account, _with a message 
giving your old e-mail address,_ and the e-mail where we can verify that 
you actually want our messages stopped. You can also unsubscribe by 
sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly identified, to "Darwin 
Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood 
City, CA 94063, USA".