Subject: [extropy-chat] [ASTRO] Stars and X-Rays

From: Amara Graps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:18:26 +0200

>Amara (or anyone else): I think I've read, somewhere, that the Sun is
>fairly low in X-ray output, not just compared to M-stars or O-stars but
>even to other G-stars, though I've never seen why.  Does this sound
>familiar, and you expand upon or correct it?

It didn't sound familiar, but then my magazine and journal reading queue
is very high and so easy to miss this item.

I made a quick search and I found this:

http://aanda.u-strasbg.fr:2002/papers/aa/full/2001/07/aa10283/aa10283.html

which seems like it could be what you were talking about. The paper
compares the stars Capella and Procyon (solar-like stars), to our Sun in
X-rays using Chandra data. The stars have a one magnitude larger X-ray
output, which the authors conclude is due to larger "corona filling factors".

(no time to expand upon)

Amara

-- 

********************************************************************
Amara Graps, PhD          email: [email-masked]
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/
********************************************************************
"Looking up gives light, although at first it makes you dizzy."
        --Mevlana Rumi
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat