Subject: [pa-comnet] A Modest Proposal for Emergency Notification

From: Arthur Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:38:52 -0700

In the wake of the recent failure of Palo Alto's Teleminder system 
and the VA Tech shooting, I propose the development of an open source 
emergency notification system for text messages to cell phones and to 
email addresses.  This is not meant to replace landline phone 
notification systems, such as the Teleminder replacement.

The system would consist of three parts:

1. A registration system whereby contact points (email or cell phone) 
would be registered along with physical locations and (hierarchically 
organized) interest lists.  The email addresses and cell phone 
addresses would require confirmation of the opt-in, just like typical 
mailing list software requires.  Confirmed data would be located into 
a database including geocoding by physical location.

2. A broadcast system that sends out email and text messages to 
selected contact points with specified content.  Individualized 
messages would be sent that include the recipients name, so as not to 
be confused with spam.  Cell phone providers websites would be used 
to submit the text messages.

3. A notification initiation system that would specify the broadcast 
content and the geocoding of the physical region of relevance, as 
well as the interest lists to which the message pertains.

The implementation of such a system is straightforward.  Who wants to 
participate in the development of such a system?

Best regards,
Arthur

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arthur M. Keller, Ph.D., 3881 Corina Way, Palo Alto, CA  94303-4507
tel +1(650)424-0202, fax +1(650)424-0424

#############################################################
To get information about the [pa-comnet] mailing-list, 
including how to unsubscribe and how to access the message archive,
send a message to <[email-masked]> .
Send administrative queries to <[email-masked]> .