Subject: [ExI] Academia: Transhumanism, Transhuman and Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:56:44 -0400

This is a follow-up:

I have read your responses (on and off list) and it seems that the reasons
for posthumanism's acceptance in academia is based, in large part, on
Hayles book, etc. (keeping it short so I don't repeat myself); and the term
"cyborg" because, in large part, due to Donna's manifesto.  Since academia
is not known for visionary thinking and is sorely institutional, causing
some dogma  and slaps on hands for reaching into cookie jars of new ideas
outside what considered acceptable (while at the same time pushing us to
find “new knowledge”; it has been unsettling to see that the transhuman and
transhumanism has been lagging behind.  

But not any longer!

I have delivered a dozen papers so far on "transhumanism and transhumans
(including posthuman") in Humanities Dept. in the US and approximately
seven papers in the Technology Depart. in the UK.  (Where at first the
terms were not readily accepted, they are not used by my colleagues and
other professors.)

I recently gave a talk at the University of Houston's Future Studies
department on transhumanism, and at the Montreal Summit last month
delivered two papers which referenced in bold and highlight the meaning of
transhumanism and transhuman in terms that readily fit into the department
and academia.

I think that the Dean of the University of Montreal may very well welcome
lectures on transhumanism very soon.  And there will be a conference in
Milan in November in which I will strongly introduce transhumans and
transhumanism (along with posthuman…) into the theoretical and design
projects.

I want to thank you all for being helpful and I hope you to even be more
helpful to me.  I need your support and advice -- especially now.

Best wishes,
Natasha

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web.com – Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft®
Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat