Subject: [UUCPA announce] Islam course begins this Sunday evening

From: "Jack Owicki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:15:34 -0800

Dear UUCPA folks,

Our much-looked-forward-to course on Islam begins this Sunday at 7:00 p.m.
in the Fireside room.  

If you've already pre-registered, we look forward to seeing you there.

If you haven't pre-registered but do want to come, we still look forward to
seeing you there.  We would appreciate an email from you, though, so that we
can set up the right number of chairs.

Best regards,
Jack and Karen

============================================================================
====================

Great World Religions:  Islam

Six Sunday evenings beginning April 2, 7:00-9:00, in the Fireside Room

Many people have wanted to have a better understanding of Islam, its
history, and its impact on the world today.  This class will use video
lectures by Prof. John Esposito as the basis for gaining more information
and understanding.  A highly regarded scholar at Georgetown University,
Prof. Esposito is also a lively and interesting speaker.  These lectures
were produced in 2003 and are full of contemporary references. 

As an important part of the course, we'll have Maha ElGenaidi with us as
commentator on the videos.  She is President of the Islamic Networks Group
(www.ing.org), a non-political, non-partisan educational institution with
affiliates across the nation. Ms. Genaidi also serves as a Human Relations
Commissioner for Santa Clara County and chairs the Commission's Peace
Building Committee.  Those of you who attended the video lectures on
Hinduism will recall the great enrichment that Raghu Seshradi brought to the
course in a similar role.  

There are twelve 30-minute lectures covering both basic information and
contemporary issues.  Each session will include two lectures with discussion
of the presentation.  Please pre-register by contacting the church office
([email-masked], 650-494-0541).

Course costs: $6 for the course guidebook (optional but highly recommended).
The guidebook is an outline of the topics in each lecture.  If you want the
guidebook, indicate that when you pre-register, and be sure to pre-register
by March 20 so that we can place the order in time for the first class.  

Facilitators:  Karen Skold and Jack Owicki

_______________________________________________
UUCPA Announce mailing list
http://uucpa.org/mailman/listinfo/announce
To unsubscribe, use the link above or contact [email-masked]

---

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:08:20 +0000

Hi, Jack,

Yes, please expect me to attend the sessions of this course, starting 
this Sunday.

- David Harris

Jack Owicki wrote:
> Dear UUCPA folks,
> 
> Our much-looked-forward-to course on Islam begins this Sunday at 7:00 
> p.m. in the Fireside room. 
> 
> If you haven't pre-registered but do want to come, we still look forward 
> to seeing you there.  We would appreciate an email from you, though, so 
> that we can set up the right number of chairs.
> 
> Best regards,
> Jack and Karen
> 
> ================================================================================================ 
> 
> 
> 
> *Great World Religions:  Islam*
> 
> lectures by Prof. John Esposito as the basis for gaining more 
> information and understanding.  A highly regarded scholar at Georgetown 
> University, Prof. Esposito is also a lively and interesting speaker.  
> These lectures were produced in 2003 and are full of contemporary 
> references.
> 
> commentator on the videos.  She is President of the Islamic Networks 
> Group (_www.ing.org_ <http://www.ing.org>), a non-political, 
> non-partisan educational institution with affiliates across the nation. 
> Ms. Genaidi also serves as a Human Relations Commissioner for Santa 
> Clara County and chairs the Commission's Peace Building Committee.  
> Those of you who attended the video lectures on Hinduism will recall the 
> great enrichment that Raghu Seshradi brought to the course in a similar 
> role. 
> 
> contemporary issues.  Each session will include two lectures with 
> discussion of the presentation.  Please pre-register by contacting the 
> church office ([email-masked], 650-494-0541).
> 
> Course costs: $6 for the course guidebook (optional but highly 
> recommended).   The guidebook is an outline of the topics in each 
> lecture.  If you want the guidebook, indicate that when you 
> pre-register, and be sure to pre-register by March 20 so that we can 
> place the order in time for the first class. 
> 
> /Facilitators:/  Karen Skold and Jack Owicki