Subject: VMware News, Issue No. 38, 2005

From: The VMware Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:22:10 -0500 (EST)

VMWARE NEWS 
ISSUE NO. 38

--------------------- In this Issue ------------------------------
1. VMware Workstation 5 Beta in Full Swing
2. Customer Snapshot
3. Business Continuity Road Show
4. Performance Tip
5. VMware Programs and Special Offers
6. Join the VMware Community
7. Trade Shows
8. And the Award Goes to…
-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. VMware Workstation 5 Beta in Full Swing
With more than 100,000 downloads and counting, the VMware® Workstation
5 beta has received overwhelmingly positive user feedback since its
launch in December, 2004.

With new features and functionality that increase both individual
productivity and team collaboration, Workstation 5 is a must have
for developers, QA teams and other IT professionals.
The release also provides:

* Multiple snapshot and snapshot management capabilities--for capturing
and managing multiple configurations
* Teams feature--for managing connected virtual machines and simulating
"real world" multi-tier configurations
* Cloning functionality--for copying virtual machines and sharing
them with colleagues

It's still not too late to participate in the Workstation 5 beta.
Download your free evaluation copy today.
http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1326/0

2. Customer Snapshot
Server Consolidation

Challenge
AXA Technology leveraged VMware ESX Server and P2V Assistant to
consolidate 11 Wintel servers that provide key functionality for
AXA Financial's Broker Dealer Infrastructure.

Results
* Saved $550,000 in hardware expenditures
* Improved server utilization by 30 percent
* Achieved a 12:1 server consolidation ratio

How
* ESX Server on 4-CPU IBM x445 with 16GB RAM
* Guest operating systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0
* Applications running in virtual machines include: SQL, Oracle,
IIS, Ciscoworks, SUS, Puridiom and domain controllers

Read more at: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1327/0

3. Business Continuity Road Show
Earlier this month, attendees at VMware's business continuity seminar
series discovered how to build better business continuity with
virtualization. Presented by product experts from the VMware corporate
team, the 22-city, three-day road show attracted more than 2,500
participants. Featuring real-world case studies, live demonstrations,
local partners, and unedited unrehearsed customer commentary, the
seminars explored both the broader issues and the finer points of
achieving disaster recovery and high availability when implementing
a VMware virtual infrastructure solution.

Want to learn more about VMware virtual infrastructure solutions
for business continuity?

Attend a business continuity seminar in your area, hosted by a VMware
Enterprise VIP Partner.
Learn more at: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1328/0

4. Performance Tip:
Optimize Network Throughput

Looking for optimal network throughput for the applications running on
your ESX Server? A new technical paper examines the factors you should
consider and describes how to use the netperf tool to measure
network throughput so you can optimize your system. Find the white paper
at: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1330/0

5. VMware Programs and Special Offers
We're pleased to announce special offers and discounted VMware
Workstation pricing for the following groups:

* MCTs
* MCSEs/MCPs
* Linux user groups
* Academic professors and IT staff

To get additional information on current VMware promotions please
visit: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1331/0

Take advantage of the VMware referral program!
Due to numerous requests from customers, VMware is pleased to announce
the VMware Referral Program. The program rewards you with VMware
products and merchandise, and gives your friends a discount on their
Workstation purchases.

To get more information on the VMware referral program,
visit: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1332/0

6. Join the VMware Community
Stay up-to-date on VMware technical news, local user group activities,
hot forum threads, new technical papers, Knowledge Base articles and
virtual infrastructure industry news.

To join the VMware Community, visit http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1333/0

7. Trade Shows
Visit VMware at CeBIT
March 10-16, 2005
Halle 1 Stand 7f2 (EMC)
Hannover, Germany
Read more about the show at: http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1329/0

8. And the Award Goes to…
VMware is proud to recap the product awards it won in 2004 and to
dedicate these awards to those who inspire us: our customers.

New for 2004, VMware VirtualCenter was one of eWeek's Top Ten Products
in 2004 and won CNET's Most Promising Technology of the Year Award.
VirtualCenter also received Windows IT PRO Readers' Choice award in
the Best New Product category.

Readers of Windows IT PRO rated ESX Server as the Best Overall Product
in 2004. ESX Server went on to win IDG's Enterprise Product of the Year
Award in the Infrastructure category. Additionally, in the Software
Components and Middleware category, TechEd Europe gave ESX Server its
Best of Show Award.

GSX Server was awarded PC Plus Editor's Choice award and achieved a
"Good" rating by the German magazine PC Professionell and a
"Recommended" award from Personal Computer World.

BIOS Magazine gave Workstation its five-star Editors' Choice award.
Workstation also earned an Editors' Choice rating from ZDNet. For a
second consecutive year Workstation won Windows IT PRO Readers'
Choice awards in the Best Windows Development Tool and Best
Testing/Debugging Software categories. Workstation also landed
a Broadband World Gold Award.

Visit http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1334/0 to read more about
VMware product awards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To UPDATE your EMAIL ADDRESS or USER PROFILE, visit:
http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1336/0

To UNSUBSCRIBE from -all- incidental VMware communications, including
all discount offers, local training notifications, tech tips and
newsletters, as well as sales communications, visit:
http://www.vmware.com/wl/info/1335/0
To re-subscribe, email [email-masked].

VMware, Inc. 3145 Porter Drive Palo Alto CA 94304 USA Tel 650-475-5000
Copyright © 2005 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. VMware is a
registered trademark of VMware, Inc. All other trademarks and names
mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective com

You are subscribed as [email-masked]. To unsubscribe please click here: http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=437942&r=437359&t=419036004&l=6&ea=[email-masked]&la=1&o=-74.