Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] No news on DJI trading computer glitch?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:02:40 +0000

Robert,

Yes, it is indeed staggering the amount of money in all this.  And more exciting the rate of increase.

I did finally find a source that had a little more info about the DJI computation glitch (and some of the related problems due to lots of traffic)  But there is still no clarification of why the backup system was able to handle the data so much better and “catch up” to what was really ocuring.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page94?oid=75828&sn=Detail

Brent

 -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: "Robert Bradbury" <[email-masked]>
> On 2/28/07, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> [snip]
> 
> Aren't there any smart people that know what really occurred somewhere?
> 
> 
> This is the first I've heard of such (that computer problems may have played
> a role).
> 
> The NY Times seems to be blaming lack of confidence in the Chinese markets
> which are in turn feeding back into the U.S. markets.  But the Chinese
> markets were being fed involving questions about the strength of the U.S.
> market (sounds like a recipe for a feedback loop similar to Black Monday but
> displaced in time and form).
> 
> Interesting in that the number I've seen cited on the news is a loss of $623
> billion.  That is about half of amount I estimated as a requirement for the
> development of real nanotech (> $1T) about 5 years ago.  So it would seem
> that having or not having real nanotech is getting to the point of being
> "chump change" in the markets.
> 
> Robert

Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] No news on DJI trading computer glitch?
From: "Robert Bradbury" <[email-masked]>
To: "ExI chat list" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:07:56 +0000

On 2/28/07, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]

Aren't there any smart people that know what really occurred somewhere?

This is the first I've heard of such (that computer problems may have played
a role).

The NY Times seems to be blaming lack of confidence in the Chinese markets
which are in turn feeding back into the U.S. markets.  But the Chinese
markets were being fed involving questions about the strength of the U.S.
market (sounds like a recipe for a feedback loop similar to Black Monday but
displaced in time and form).

Interesting in that the number I've seen cited on the news is a loss of $623
billion.  That is about half of amount I estimated as a requirement for the
development of real nanotech (> $1T) about 5 years ago.  So it would seem
that having or not having real nanotech is getting to the point of being
"chump change" in the markets.

Robert
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat