Subject: Info freedom blocked by anonymous senator

From: Brian Bogart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:32:45 -0700

As the summer break approaches for legislatures, one anonymous  
Republican senator blocks the people's effort to re-energize the near- 
broken Freedom of Information Act process.

Democracy?  Where?
------------------------

SECRECY NEWS
from the FAS Project on Government Secrecy
Volume 2007, Issue No. 55
May 25, 2007

Secrecy News Blog:  http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/

Support Secrecy News:
http://www.fas.org/static/contrib_sec.jsp

ANONYMOUS SENATOR BLOCKS FOIA REFORM BILL

An unidentified Republican Senator placed a secret hold on the Open
Government Act, a bipartisan bill to strengthen the Freedom of
Information Act, thereby preventing the Senate from acting on the bill
this week.

"Regrettably, an anonymous Republican hold is stalling this important
Freedom of Information Act legislation, needlessly delaying long-overdue
reforms to strengthen FOIA and to protect the public's right to know,"
said Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), a co-sponsor of the bill along with Sen.
John Cornyn (R-TX).

"It is both unfortunate and ironic that this bipartisan bill, which
promotes sunshine and openness in our government, is being hindered by a
secret and anonymous hold. This is a good government bill that Democrats
and Republicans alike, can and should work together to enact," Sen.
Leahy said in a May 24 floor statement.

      http://www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2007/s052407.html

"I hope that the Senator placing the secret hold on this bill will come
forward, so that we can resolve any legitimate concerns, and the full
Senate can promptly act on this legislation," he said.

Brian Bogart
Diversity Scholar
M.A. Candidate, Peace Studies
University of Oregon
Specialist, US Conflict Dependence and Climate Change
Director
Intelligent Future
Research for the Advancement of Diversity

Intelligent Future
PO Box 3150
Eugene OR 97403