Subject: The New England Journal of Medicine, October 4, 2007

From: New England Journal of Medicine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:37:26 -0400 (EDT)

To ensure that you always receive the NEJM e-mail Table of Contents,
    add the e-mail address [email-masked] to your address book.
=====================================================================
THE NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE <http://www.nejm.org>    
Volume 357, Issue 14: October 4, 2007    
<http://content.nejm.org/content/vol357/issue14/index.shtml?query=TOC>

NOW AT NEJM: Create custom slide shows with NEJM images   
<http://beta.nejm.org/ImageLib/>
=====================================================================

                         <advertisement>

Consult the CRESTOR(R) (rosuvastatin calcium) Convention Calendar   
>From ACC to Pri-MED, keep track of the year's conferences via the   
CRESTOR Convention Calendar. Be sure to visit the CRESTOR booth for   
"Meet the Experts" sessions and the latest clinical information about   
CRESTOR. View the Convention Calendar:   
<http://clk.atdmt.com/NYC/go/cre0370000068nyc/direct;at.CRE_20070305_B_eTOCConventionCalendar_1x1_Copy;ct.1/01/>

                         <advertisement>

=============
AUDIO SUMMARY
=============

Listen to This Week's Audio Summary:
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/DC1?query=TOC>

===============
IMAGE CHALLENGE
===============

Question: What is the diagnosis?

View the image and submit your answer at:
<http://image-challenge.nejm.org/?query=TOC>

========================
THIS WEEK IN THE JOURNAL
========================

Article Summaries:
<http://content.nejm.org/this_week/357/14/index.shtml?query=TOC>

===========
PERSPECTIVE
===========

Commercializing Clinical Trials -- Risks and Benefits of the CRO Boom
          M. Shuchman
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1365?query=TOC>

The Development of Prosthetic Heart Valves -- Lessons in Form and Function
          E.L. Chaikof
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1368?query=TOC>
[Free full text of this article]
  *An audio interview with Dr. Albert Starr*   
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1368/DC1?query=TOC>

=================
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
=================

Effectiveness of Influenza Vaccine in the Community-Dwelling Elderly
          K.L. Nichol and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1373?query=TOC>
[Free full text of this article]

Donepezil for the Treatment of Agitation in Alzheimer's Disease
          R.J. Howard and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1382?query=TOC>

Effectiveness and Safety of Drug-Eluting Stents in Ontario
          J.V. Tu and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1393?query=TOC>

CT Colonography versus Colonoscopy for the Detection of Advanced Neoplasia
          D.H. Kim and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1403?query=TOC>

=================
CLINICAL PRACTICE
=================

Osteoarthritis of the Hip
          N.E. Lane
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1413?query=TOC>
  *Free full-text audio on beta.nejm.org*   
<http://beta.nejm.org/AudioArticle/20071004/?query=TOC>

==============
REVIEW ARTICLE
==============

Current Concepts: A Critical Appraisal of "Chronic Lyme Disease"
          H.M. Feder, Jr., and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1422?query=TOC>   
[Free full text of this article]

===========================
IMAGES IN CLINICAL MEDICINE
===========================

Medical Mystery -- An Unusual Complication of Colonoscopy
          M.A. Gladman and S.S. Shami
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1431?query=TOC>
[Free full text of this article]

========================
CLINICAL PROBLEM-SOLVING
========================

Nothing to Cough At: A 73-year-old man presented to the emergency department   
with a 4-day history of nonproductive cough that worsened at night
          P.B. Cornia and Others
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1432?query=TOC>

==========
EDITORIALS
==========

Influenza -- The Goal of Control
          J.D. Treanor
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1439?query=TOC>
[Free full text of this article]

Treatment of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Patients with Dementia
          K. Yaffe
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1441?query=TOC>

Open Clinical Trials
          G.D. Curfman, S. Morrissey, and J.M. Drazen   
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMe0706501?query=TOC>
[ONLINE FIRST] [Free full text of this article]

==============
CORRESPONDENCE
==============
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1444?query=TOC>

Inhaled Nitric Oxide in Preterm Infants -- Correction   
[Free full text of this article]

Effect of Aircraft-Cabin Altitude on Passenger Discomfort

Eosinophilic Esophagitis
[Free full text of this article]

More on Thunderstorms and iPods
[Free full text of this article]

Retro-Orbital Hemorrhage after Thrombolysis for Acute Myocardial Infarction

Treatment with Convalescent Plasma for Influenza A (H5N1) Infection

Tissue-Engineered Blood Vessel for Adult Arterial Revascularization   
[Free full text of this article]

============
BOOK REVIEWS
============
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/14/1454?query=TOC>

Acute Care Surgery: Principles and Practice

The Vein Book

Innovation in Medical Technology: Ethical Issues and Challenges

===========
CORRECTIONS
===========

Burch Colposuspension versus Fascial Sling to Reduce Urinary Stress Incontinence
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1457?query=TOC>

New York to Trans Fats: You're Out!
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1457-a?query=TOC>

JAK2 Exon 12 Mutations in Polycythemia Vera and Idiopathic Erythrocytosis
<http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/14/1457-b?query=TOC>

============================
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION
============================
<http://cme.nejm.org/misc/about.dtl>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Special Offer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    
Try NEJM Online for 21 days ... FREE!

Peer reviewed by the world's top physicians, the Journal   
helps you stay on top of the most important and most clinically   
relevant developments in medicine. There is no risk or   
obligation to continue and you will receive full access to   
NEJM Online! Start your 21-day free trial now at:

<https://secure.nejm.org/campaigns/jump.aspx?promo=OONCNZ0Q&cpc=IPONJB55R1106>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

========================== While at NEJM Online ==========================    
If you make presentations, you can now search NEJM images, then use "drag-and-drop"   
to create a custom PowerPoint slide show. Enter your search term(s) in the search box,   
and you'll be shown a gallery of images. Then, just drag any images to the slide   
show work area provided. The accompanying descriptive copy will appear in the   
speaker's notes. Try it now.

<http://beta.nejm.org/ImageLib/>
==========================================================================    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  CareerCenter Physician Job of the Week  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    
FAMILY PHYSICIAN -- NATIONWIDE, U.S.

You could make a difference as you work in an environment dedicated to helping   
our Soldiers and their Families. As a family physician and an Officer on the   
U.S. Army Health Care Team, you'll enter an established practice that provides   
generous benefits and no overhead or malpractice insurance costs. Numerous   
positions are available worldwide.

<http://careercenter.nejmjobs.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=2685497&keywords=etoccareer>

Looking for a new practice opportunity? View this job and many more in your   
specialty at <http://careercenter.nejmjobs.org/search/>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    
AND REMEMBER. . .
=======================================================================    
* Feel free to forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague!

* If someone forwarded this to you, you can sign up for your own FREE    
subscription to the NEJM e-mail table of contents and receive access    
to Original Articles and Special Articles six months after publication.    
Go to: https://secure.nejm.org/ecom/register/reg_etoc.aspx?promo=ONFENR01 
=======================================================================    

_______________________________________________________________________    
Thank you for subscribing to the New England Journal of Medicine's    
e-mail table of contents service. The e-mail address for this     
subscription is:    
[email-masked]
If you would like to UNSUBSCRIBE, CLICK HERE:
http://click2.nejm.org/cts/click?q=137%3B66770382%3B%2BPF03YmNlxnNwsFz6YP233ZNcSjz1El3&fbl=1

To UPDATE YOUR PREFERENCES at any time, go to:
http://www.nejm.org/custserv/updateprofile.asp
or e-mail [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. This is an automated mailbox. If you     
have any questions or comments, please e-mail us at [email-masked].

_______________________________________________________________________
The New England Journal of Medicine
10 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115-6094    
Copyright (c) 2007 Massachusetts Medical Society. All Rights Reserved.