Subject: [Fwd: potassium citrate]

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:06:27 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	potassium citrate
Date: 	Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:08:24 -0700
From: 	Anthony Sebastian <[email-masked]>
To: 	David Harris <[email-masked]>

David,

I take this:

The tablet contains potassium bicarbonate and citric acid, equimolar.  
The hydrogen ions of citric acid titrate the bicarbonate, generating 
H2CO3â??CO2 effervescence, leaving potassium citrate for 
gastrointestinal absorption.  The absorbed citrate the body converts to 
bicarbonate.

Dissolve tablet in full glass of water.  I usually wait for the fizzing 
to stop before drinking.  The tablet also has an orange flavoring, like 
Tang.

My favorite way of taking it: while the tablets fizzes in a half-full 
glass of water, I blenderize some fresh fruit (e.g., banana, figs, 
nectarines, kiwi, berries), singly or combinations, then add the fizzed 
out K-citrate solution to the blender to make a kind of smoothie.  Add 
water as needed.

Sometimes I just top off with orange juice, or some other fruit juice, 
skipping the smoothie.

Best to take with meals or snack.

I take three-to-four per day, amounting to 75-100 meq K and 75-100 meq 
bicarbonateâ??~evenly spaced.

Beginners should take 1 per day for 1-2 weeks, then increase by 1 tab 
every two weeks.  Stop at 3-4 tabs/day.

Need a physicianâ??s prescription, as physician must determine you have 
no contraindications to taking potassium supplements.

If you prefer a tablet, try Urocit-K, m10 meq K/tab (see attached)

Anthony

.
.
-------------------------
Anthony Sebastian, MD
Professor of Medicine
40 Crags Court
San Francisco, CA 94131
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> [preferred 
email address]
415-648-0834 [tel]; 415-358-5953 [fax]
 
Faculty Affiliations:
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology
General Clinical Research Center,
   Special Projects Associate
University of California, San Francisco
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
 
Faculty Webpage:
http://medicine.ucsf.edu/nephrology/faculty/anthony_sebastian.html
 
View/Download Selected Publications:
http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles/documents.msnw
 
Weblog: http://tonyseb.blogspot.com
 
Emails written in E-Prime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime