Subject: [AthofSV] Richard Dawkins coming to Kepler's this Saturday

From: "Mark W. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:31:26 -0700

Richard Dawkins Returns to Kepler's!

"The God Delusion"

Saturday July 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Discover magazine called Richard Dawkins "Darwin's Rottweiler" for his
fierce and effective defense of evolution.  Prospect magazine voted him
among the top three public intellectuals in the world (along with Umberto
Eco and Noam Chomsky).  In The God Delusion he turns his considerable
intellect on religion, denouncing its faulty logic and the suffering it
causes.  He critiques God in all his forms, from the sex-obsessed tyrant of
the Old Testament to the more benign (but still illogical) Celestial
Watchmaker favored by some Enlightenment thinkers.  He eviscerates the major
arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a
supreme being.  He shows how religion fuels war, foments bigotry, and abuses
children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence.
In so doing, he makes a compelling case that belief in God is not just
irrational, but potentially deadly.  Dawkins has fashioned an impassioned,
rigorous rebuttal to religion, to be embraced by anyone who sputters at the
inconsistencies and cruelties that riddle the Bible, bristles at the inanity
of "intelligent design," or agonizes over fundamentalism in the Middle
East — or Middle America.

Richard Dawkins is one of the most influential scientists of our time.  The
New York Times Book Review has hailed him as a writer who "understands the
issues so clearly that he forces his reader to understand them too."  He was
awarded the distinction of "public intellectual" in Britain.  Dawkins is
Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford
University.

Location:
Kepler’s Books
1010 El Camino Real
Menlo Park
Next to the Menlo Park Caltrain station

http://keplers.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=1?s=storeinfo