Subject: [pa-comnet] City Council considers video franchising tonight

From: "Jeff Hoel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:37:29 -0600

This evening, Palo Alto City Council will consider, as Item 8 on its
agenda, how to deal with video franchising in light of AB 2987, which
passed last year.  Please see the documents cited below for details.

According to CMR:171:07, Palo Alto (and the other cities in the JPA that
used to control video franchising) might lose its I-Net by 7-25-10; so,
staff suggests, we might have to buy the equivalent service from a private
company.  Alternatively, if we had citywide municipal FTTH by then, we
could just ask it to serve as the I-Net.

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

City Council Agenda, 4-9-07:
<http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/cityagenda/publish/citycouncil-meetings/documents/070409agenda.pdf>

Item 8  (CMR:171:07) (5 pages):
<http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/cityagenda/publish/cmrs/documents/CMR171-07.pdf>

Attachments 24 pages):
<http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/cityagenda/publish/cityclerk-reports/documents/070405no8digitalinfrastructureord.pdf>

_________________________________________________________________
MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. 
http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline

#############################################################
To get information about the [pa-comnet] mailing-list, 
including how to unsubscribe and how to access the message archive,
send a message to <[email-masked]> .
Send administrative queries to <[email-masked]> .

---

From: Peter Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:10:01 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff:

  That's exactly how we handle it here...even without FTTH.  The City of Geneva provides a fiber backbone to all city, school, and county sites within our reach.
   
  We're going through the same statewide franchising push right now as well.  The Deathstar is really flooding our state house with lobbyists. (See our joy at http://www.geneva.il.us/att/lightspeed.htm )

  Warm Regards to Palo Alto from the balmy Midwest,

  Pete Collins
  [email-masked]
  630.761.2978

Jeff Hoel <[email-masked]> wrote:
  This evening, Palo Alto City Council will consider, as Item 8 on its
agenda, how to deal with video franchising in light of AB 2987, which
passed last year. Please see the documents cited below for details.

Jeff

Attachments 24 pages):

#############################################################
To get information about the [pafiber] mailing-list, 
including how to unsubscribe and how to access the message archive,
send a message to 
.
Send administrative queries to 
.

---------------------------------
Bored stiff? Loosen up...
Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.