Subject: RE: [bay_brs] Background [for Sunday's BARS meeting] on the CCNY affair

From: "Benjamin Wade" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:50:39 -0700

Bob.Many thanks for the excellent Russell references to the CCNY
debacle.  We missed you this past Sunday, but trust all is OK.  Ben Wade

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bob Riemenschneider
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:09 PM
To: [email-masked]; BRS-list; [email-masked]
Subject: [bay_brs] Background [for Sunday's BARS meeting] on the CCNY affair

The CUNY Virtual NY Web site, http://www.virtualny.cuny.edu , has a 
virtual exhibit called "The Struggle for Free Speech at CCNY, 1931-42", 
apparently inspired by a desire to remind people that there are good 
historical reasons for worries about some of the powers granted by the 
Patriot Act.  Unsurprisingly, a page is devoted to Russell's non-hiring 
-- http://www.virtualny.cuny.edu/gutter/panels/panel14.html , if you 
want to jump there directly, though I think that the context makes the 
story more interesting.

For the New Yorkers on the list, the virtual exhibit is based on an 
actual exhibit at the Baruch College Library that runs through May 1 
(appropriately enough).  You can get more details from an article in 
The [Baruch College] Ticker, available online at 
http://www.theticker.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/27/4429f6b26bad0 . 
  (But since the exhibit just consists of images, I'd expect that not 
much will be lost if you just visit the virtual exhibit.)

                                    -- rar

  _____  

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 

*          Visit your group "bay_brs <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bay_brs>
" on the web.

*          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=Unsubscribe> 

*          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service. 

  _____