Subject: Re: gracias

From: "Spirit Writer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:43:21 -0500

Hi David,
That's good news, both about your parents and about your car!  And glad 
YOU're back safely, too.

How about coming over around 7pm on Friday? Just bring yourself and your 
appetite, you've treated me a lot lately.  :-)

I put in a 12-hour day today and still have more work to do...totally 
crazy...so have to sign off now.  But I look forward to seeing you and 
talking more on Friday!

Take care,
CJ

>From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
>To: Spirit Writer <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: gracias
>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:36:45 -0800
>
>Hi, CJ,
>
>Spirit Writer wrote:
>>Hi David,
>>
>>Thanks for your message. I'm so glad you've had what sounds like a good 
>>visit with your parents.  It must be quite a relief, for you and for them, 
>>that they're doing fairly well on their own down there.
>
>Yes, I'm glad for them and for us.  They like living in their home down 
>there, and we don't yet have to take care of them yet.
>
> > Does your
>>brother live far away as well?  It's nice that you all had this time 
>>together...and that your car made it so well!
>
>Eric lives up near Salem, Oregon, but toward the ocean near a woodsy town.  
>He has a nice house in the woods.
>
>And my car ... did 35 miles/gallon!  I went 500 miles on considerably less 
>than its tank capacity of 15.9 gallons.  Affordable!
>
>>I wound up spending Thanksgiving dinner w/ some friends from Pathways, the 
>>spiritual circle I sometimes attend on Sunday mornings.  It was very nice 
>>to have a place to go with friendly people, as it can be a bit lonely 
>>being so far away from my family during the holidays.
>
>I used to be at college as a grad student over the vacation times, and most 
>of my friends went home or elsewhere.  My relatives were 800 miles away, 
>and I had a distinct case of the "lonelies", especially in winter when the 
>days were dark.
>
>>I have a ton of school work to do, and I'm a bit down about the job 
>>overall--even though I am trying to keep in mind that there are positives, 
>>like how inclusive the school seems to be.
>
>And it looks good on the resume to have experience.
>
>>I did buy some sound cancellation headphones yesterday (thanks for the 
>>suggestion) and am curious to see if they help.
>
>I'm real curious too.  I know they would help for me.
>
>>In your previous e-mail, when you called me "sweetie," there was a part of 
>>me that was really touched, and a part of me that didn't feel comfortable. 
>>  Overall, I think I'd rather not be called terms of endearment, but I do 
>>appreciate how sweet you are.
>
>I was hesitant about that, but I once had a girlfriend that called me 
>sweetie, so I thought it could be gender neutral, or ambigendered.  I'll be 
>a little more reserved if you want.  I know it's not just a matter of 
>gender.
>
>>Anyway, would you like to come over for dinner Friday evening?  I'm 
>>feeling better now and would be happy to have some friendly companionship.
>
>That sounds good to me.  Yes, I'd be delighted to have dinner at your place 
>on Friday night.  Tell me when to arrive, and what I can bring to 
>contribute.
>
>>Hope you made it back to Palo Alto safely.
>
>This email proves it.  Last night I got home around 2 a.m. (13.5 hours on 
>the I-5 freeway in slow and go traffic), and wasn't up to replying. Tonight 
>I'm refreshed.
>
>>Sincerely,
>>CJ
>
>With a happy smile,
>
>   - David
>>
>>>From: "David C. Harris " <[email-masked]>
>>>To: Spirit Writer <[email-masked]>
>>>Subject: Re: gracias
>>>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:22:13 -0800
>>>
>>>What a joy!  A Thanksgiving message from CJ.
>>>
>>>Spirit Writer wrote:
>>>>
>>>>Hi David,
>>>>Hope you are having a good visit with your parents, and cherishing the 
>>>>time you have together.
>>>
>>>Yes, I and my brother are doing that.  Today we got my father a big 32" 
>>>TV and hooked it up.  He was so delighted, as his old TV had a faded 
>>>color problem that wasn't fixable.
>>>
>>>>How is their health?  Are they still doing ok on their own?  I'm glad 
>>>>you're able to spend this time together.
>>>
>>>My brother Eric followed my Mother as she rode a little electric scooter 
>>>kind of thing, and said that she seemed to have good control and 
>>>awareness of what to do at each part of her trip.  That suggests that 
>>>although she doesn't speak effectively, the problem is from her stroke 
>>>that hit her word retrieval function, not from general dementia.  That 
>>>was good to know.
>>>
>>>And when my Father was backing up in an electric golf cart, and the dog 
>>>got near the back of the cart, Dad hit the brakes really fast, suggesting 
>>>that his reflexes are as good as his speaking skills, also good news.
>>>
>>>So we're feeling that they can safely stay down here where they so much 
>>>like to be.  The only other health problem is lack of exercise that makes 
>>>them vulnerable if they fall over.
>>>
>>>>How did your car do on the trip down?
>>>
>>>Sweet as honey and smooth as silk.  :-)   With the cruise control taking 
>>>me steadily along at about 65 mph, I got around 33 miles to the gallon, 
>>>in great comfort.  I didn't get my GPS and laptop map navigation built in 
>>>time, but even without it it was a very smooth trip.  I left at 5 pm and 
>>>arrived 500 miles away at 3 am, all on a single tank of 15.3 gallons of 
>>>gas, for $29.  YAY!
>>>
>>>>I'm still sick, but am feeling better than last week, and have been back 
>>>>at work.  Things at work are still very challenging, but I feel like 
>>>>I've turned a corner, and that I'm going to be able to manage this.
>>>
>>>Oh, sweetie, that is so nice to hear.  I'm really glad for you.  I had an 
>>>hour or so last night where I was experiencing strong anxiety feelings, 
>>>but it seemed to go away with sleep by morning.  Maybe from something I 
>>>ate.
>>>
>>>>Thanks so much for all your support during this transition time.  I look 
>>>>forward to being well and being able to cook you dinner sometime soon!
>>>
>>>I look forward to that too.  I'm glad you're thinking in such terms. And 
>>>you are welcome for my caring and support.  I enjoy sharing real feelings 
>>>with you too, and the virtue of compassion is part of my character that 
>>>I'm glad to have.
>>>>
>>>>Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
>>>
>>>Thank you. In about 13 hours we will be going out to a local cafe for 
>>>traditional fare.  Do you have a good place to go?  At the IW meeting Amy 
>>>said the UU church has a Thanksgiving dinner for folks who are not 
>>>otherwise celebrating.
>>>>
>>>>Take care,
>>>>CJ
>>>
>>>And warm greetings and supportive wishes to my friend,
>>>
>>>   - David
>>>>
>>>>>From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
>>>>>To: Spirit Writer <[email-masked]>
>>>>>Subject: Re: gracias
>>>>>Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:08:31 -0800
>>>>>
>>>>>Spirit Writer wrote:
>>>>>>Hi David,
>>>>>
>>>>>Hi CJ!
>>>>>
>>>>>>It's ok to say at Interweave that I'm going through a rough time.  
>>>>>>Actually I feel like I am at the end of my rope, and like I can't take 
>>>>>>much more.
>>>>>
>>>>>I was picking up a little table in Los Altos and arrived at IW late.  
>>>>>So I didn't report on where you were.  We talked about why religions 
>>>>>are so often anti-sex and anti-gay, and about "hedonistic consumerism" 
>>>>>(the prevalent religion that people don't know they follow).
>>>>>
>>>>>>Hope you have a good Thanksgiving with your parents, it sounds kind of 
>>>>>>bittersweet.
>>>>>
>>>>>Only too true.  I did describe those feelings to the group tonight.
>>>>>
>>>>>Saturday I pack and do final fixups on the car.  I may or may not stay 
>>>>>to attend Bill Jacobsen's Memorial Sunday night at the UUCPA on Sunday 
>>>>>night around 7:30.
>>>>>
>>>>>I hope you're recovering from the flu by now.  You deserve health.
>>>>>
>>>>>   - David
>>>>>
>>>>>>CJ
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
>>>>>>>To: Spirit Writer <[email-masked]>
>>>>>>>Subject: Re: gracias
>>>>>>>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:10:31 -0800
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Dear CJ,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Thanks for the message.  I'm glad you enjoyed my visit.  I wasn't 
>>>>>>>sure whether I did the right things.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>And I wish you recovery from the flu as soon as possible.  I've had a 
>>>>>>>flu shot so I shouldn't get it --- knock on wood!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I put on the first wheel cover this morning, and I think it looks 
>>>>>>>FINE.  And last night on the way home I noticed my headlight was 
>>>>>>>burned out (low beam only), so THIS night I stopped at Kragen and 
>>>>>>>learned how to replace the bulb.  Oh, I like learning things.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>And I got two sets of drapes from a man who lives (apparently) at the 
>>>>>>>Jesuit Retreat Center in Los Altos.  I didn't even know it was there. 
>>>>>>>The Center.  These will keep heat in and provide privacy.  And the 
>>>>>>>other set will improve the window by where my feet sleep.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I plan to go to the Interweave meeting Friday night.  Do you want me 
>>>>>>>to tell them you have a flu and a job, or anything else?  I won't say 
>>>>>>>anything (following my promise) unless you ask me to.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I wish I had a solution to your job situation, but I don't think I 
>>>>>>>know anything but that it helps to talk to people who are your 
>>>>>>>friends. That's not a universal solution, I know, but it often helps.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Thanks for the wishes about Thanksgiving.  I'm getting things ready 
>>>>>>>for the trip.  Just this moment I feel sad, because my parents are 
>>>>>>>getting really old and won't be with me for many more years.  I'm 
>>>>>>>going to do my best to love them really well on this visit.  That's 
>>>>>>>my sadness, and my hope, right now.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I hope you feel well enough so that your Thanksgiving is good.  I 
>>>>>>>will be checking for email on this account with my laptop computer, 
>>>>>>>if you want to share anything.  And I'll have my cell phone 
>>>>>>>(814-0373) along.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>With loving wishes,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   - David
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Spirit Writer wrote:
>>>>>>>>Hi David,
>>>>>>>>Thanks so much for coming over last night.  The milk, carrots, 
>>>>>>>>grapes, and pie have all been great, and it was really nice to have 
>>>>>>>>your warm presence and conversation as well.  I'm still feeling 
>>>>>>>>pretty miserable--I went to the doctor today and it turns out I have 
>>>>>>>>the flu.  I'm really unhappy about this phase of the journey, hating 
>>>>>>>>the situations I feel like I"m in but not sure how to get things the 
>>>>>>>>way I want and need.  Hope you are doing well, and hope you have a 
>>>>>>>>good Thanksgiving.
>>>>>>>>Sincerely,
>>>>>>>>CJ
>>>>>>>
>
>
>--
>  David Harris, Palo Alto, California.
>                GPS location: 37.41988, -122.13388 (1984 WGS system).
>  NOTE!: NEW active account: [email-masked]
>         Active account WAS: [email-masked]
>  Phone: 1-650-856-9126 (has answering machine or me)
>  Lifetime e-mail forwarding account: [email-masked]
>  Postal ("snail mail") address: David Harris
>                                 Medintrans
>                                 455 Margarita Ave.
>                                 Palo Alto, CA  94306-2827

_________________________________________________________________
Share your latest news with your friends with the Windows Live Spaces 
friends module. 
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk