Subject: PARC Forum, Thursday, October 27, 4pm, Scott Klemmer speaks on Integrating Physical and Digital Interactions for Creative Collaboration

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:25:12 PDT

"Integrating Physical and Digital Interactions for Creative Collaboration"

Scott R. Klemmer, Stanford University

Thursday, 27October 2005, 4 PM, George E. Pake Auditorium, Palo Alto, 
CA. This forum is OPEN to the public.

ABSTRACT

Today, physical and electronic media coexist unaware of each other. 
Contemporary design studios, offices, and labs are filled with both 
physical and electronic artifacts, but the two exist separately, and the 
infrastructure for moving between media representations--scanning and 
printing--is heavyweight and cumbersome, at odds with the freewheeling, 
organic nature of creative work.

For the past six years at UC Berkeley and Stanford University, my 
colleagues and I have conducted research into user interfaces that bind 
physical and electronic representations of artifacts for integrated 
interaction: Manipulation in one medium effects a corresponding change 
in the artifact's dual medium. Based on fieldwork with designers, office 
workers, scientists, and engineers, we've created and evaluated 
integrated interfaces ranging from whiteboards to oral history 
transcripts to field notebooks.

BIOGRAPHY: Scott R. Klemmer

Scott Klemmer is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Stanford 
University, where he co-directs the Human-Computer Interaction Group. He 
is also a member of the new Stanford Institute of Design. His research 
addresses interaction techniques and design tools for integrated 
interaction with physical and digital artifacts. He received a dual BA 
in Art-Semiotics and Computer Science from Brown University in 1999, and 
an MS and PhD in Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 2001 and 2004 
respectively.

ABOUT PARC FORUM:

Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) is located at 3333 Coyote Hill Road in 
Palo Alto, California. A road map and driving directions are available 
at http://www.parc.com/company/directions.html  The George Pake 
Auditorium is to the left of the main entrance, near the upper parking 
lot; follow the signs. For more information about the PARC Forum, see 
http://www.parc.com/forum

UPCOMING FORUMS:

November 3: Clifford Nass, Stanford University, "Wired for Speech: How 
Voice Activates and Advances the Human-Computer Relationship"

November 10: Julian Gresser, Alliances for Discovery, a talk in the 
series on Science and Technology for a Sustainable World

---------------------------------------------------------
Palo Alto Research Center Inc.
Phone: (650) 812-4000
3333 Coyote Hill Rd
http://www.parc.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:
If you would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please send 
email to [email-masked] specifying the e-mail address to be unsubscribed 
and the distribution list from which you would like to be removed.