Subject: Re: [ExI] The void left by deleting religion

From: Keith Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 14:42:59 -0400

At 04:26 PM 5/4/2007 +0200, you wrote:

>I am one of these fools you speak of. That is to say, I've been thinking 
>about how we can best fill the void left by deleting religion for some time.
>
>However, I see no reason why it should be impossible to design an 
>up-to-date, rational worldview to fill the roles that ancient religions 
>currently play in many peoples lives, without violating rationality.

snip

You should read Pascal Boyer's _Religion Explained_.  It will definitely 
help you in a design task.  It is a deep book where you might get more out 
of it by rereading parts of it, particularly the last two chapters.

You might also want to read my paper "Sex, Drugs and Cults."  I came to an 
understanding of what makes cults work the hard way and there is no reason 
you should not profit from my experiences.

Keith

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat