Subject: Nortel Annex 2000 info

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:48:48 +0000

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:15:49 GMT

A transfinite number of monkeys wrote:

 > P-133, 32 MB RAM, Rocketport 16 port serial card.  A great terminal 
server.
 >
 > Fast too, the machine only runs sshd and minicom...

Hmm... I just thought of something.  We use Xylogics (Bay networks, Nortel,
whatever they are this week) remote annex servers for termsrvs.  They were
brought in before I started here, and do the job ok.  The biggest con: 
telnet
only (can you say plaintext across the company's net).  Biggest pro: 
each port
can answer to an IP: i.e. we have a dns entry for <machinename>c that 
points to
the console port for that machine.

I wonder if the following exists or would be possible to setup:
A linux (or other) machine using ssh for encryption, that would have 
multiple
serial ports as you do, and either listen to multiple IPs (which it can) and
automatically redirect the connection to the proper serial port... or better
yet, use one IP, but have it work like apache's virtual domains and 
redirect you
to the proper port... hmm.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
What's the difference between a Van DeGraf static generator and a belt 
driven
vacuum cleaner?
Answer: Not much. Don't use a vacuum to clean your computer.