Subject: REMINDER: PARC Forum March 8, 2007 : "An Introduction to Climate Change: a live, updated presentation of the slideshow featured in the movie 'An Inconvenient Truth'", Dr. Joylette Portlock, The Climate Project

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:13:07 PST

PARC Forum

Thursday, March 8, 2007, 4:00-5:00 PM

George E. Pake Auditorium
Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

This forum is OPEN to the public.

This talk will not be taped.

TITLE: An Introduction to Climate Change: a live, updated presentation
of the slideshow featured in the movie 'An Inconvenient Truth'

SPEAKER: Dr. Joylette Portlock, The Climate Project

ABSTRACT:

The conclusion drawn from decades of research by hundreds of climate
scientists across the world is that global warming is occurring, and
human activity (specifically, the production of greenhouse gases from
fossil fuels) is the major contributing factor. Changes in the global
climate are already dramatically affecting people worldwide, and left
unchecked, the effects of these changes will become more and more
pronounced. Right now, there is a window of time in which to act to
prevent the worst effects of the climate crisis, and there are many
steps that every one of us can take to increase our energy efficiency
and move toward building the responsible, sustainable civilization of
tomorrow.

The Climate Project is a movement to educate and engage both citizens
and governments in an effort to solve the growing climate crisis. As a
non-profit group, we work to make the public aware of the urgency,
impact and need for action to confront global warming through education,
research and citizen action programs. The Climate Project's first
initiative, sponsored by Participant Productions, Inc. was the training
of 1,000 lecturers to deliver the slide presentation developed by The
Hon. Al Gore and reflected in the book and award-winning Paramount Films
documentary, An Inconvenient Truth.

The presentation will cover some basic climate science as well as
several of the key findings that demonstrate the presence and extent of
global climate change. Specific, up-to-date examples and possible future
consequences of climate change are elaborated. The presentation
concludes by examining the societal forces that have contributed to the
climate crisis, followed by some prescriptions for solutions at both the
national and individual level.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

Dr. Joylette Portlock has been interested in conservation for as long as
she can remember, having started her family recycling while she was in
middle school, and co-founding her high school's Earth Club.
Scholastically, she pursued biology at MIT, and completed her Ph.D. in
genetics at Stanford University in 2006. Over the years, her diverse
interests have resulted in diverse experiences, from working in a Senate
office in Washington, D.C., to volunteering with an adult literacy
program, and acting in community theater. She currently works at the
Exploratorium in San Francisco. She and her husband, PARC researcher
Bryan Pendleton, live in Mountain View, CA, where they enjoy gardening,
compost their green waste, and purchase offsets for the carbon emitted
by their electricity, natural gas, and transportation fuels. Last fall,
Dr. Portlock was selected by The Climate Project to travel to Nashville,
TN to be trained to give this presentation on climate change.

*************************************************

Next Week's Forum: March 15, 2007

"How to Reduce Global Warming and Make Humans Omnipresent Using Virtual
World"
David Rolston, PhD; Chairman and CEO, Forterra, Inc.
http://www.forterrainc.com/

***************************************************

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
http://www.parc.com/about/directions.html  

---------------------------------------------------------

PARC (Palo Alto Research Center Inc.)
Phone: (650) 812-4000
3333 Coyote Hill Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94304
http://www.parc.com  

---------------------------------------------------------

PAST FORUMS: Many of our past forums are available at
http://www.parc.com/events/forum/archive.php   
---------------------------------------------------------

Subscribing:

If this message has been forwarded to you and you would like to receive
PARC Forum announcements, you may subscribe online at

http://www.parc.com/contact/subscribe.html  

---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:

If you would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please send
email to [email-masked] specifying the e-mail address to be unsubscribed
and the distribution list from which you would like to be removed.