Subject: Re: [ExI] C does not stand for the speed of light... (Colbert)

From: Josh Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 20:56:49 -0400

On May 2, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Emlyn wrote:
Snip:

>
> Australian English is something I used to care about a lot, but I find
> I'm starting to succumb to the charms of the dark side. It's the
> internet doing it to me, damnit. Some introspection tells me I
> identify with the net far more than with Australia now. And online,
> there are two kinds of english: International English (needs another
> name... English' ?), a kind of creole spoken by people from
> non-english speaking backgrounds (eg: all of codeproject.com), and
> American English for the sticklers (like myself). American English has
> become the high ground! Yee gods!
>
I've been wondering, when a sentient AI is created if there will be 
issues for speakers of certain languages in dealing with a gender 
neutral entity? For example, I've just started learning French and it 
seems all nouns are assigned a gender. What about a being that is 
gender neutral?  O.K., I know this issues isn't up there with whether 
one dies every observer moment but still...

Josh Cowan

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat