Subject: [pa-comnet] Stanford fetes 4 decades of computer science pioneers

From: "Marvin Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:35:29 -0800 (PST)

FYI
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
The original article can be found on SFGate.com here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/03/20/BUGBTHNVSI161.DTL
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, March 20, 2006 (SF Chronicle)
Upstarts and rabble rousers/Stanford fetes 4 decades of computer science 
pioneers
Tom Abate, Chronicle Staff Writer

    A little over 40 years ago, Stanford University recognized computer
science as a new academic discipline. Since then, its scientists have
spawned companies like Yahoo and Google and helped create futuristic
fields like artificial intelligence.
    On Tuesday, Stanford will fete the field that has been one of the spark
plugs of Silicon Valley. The daylong event will honor academic pioneers
like artificial intelligence guru John McCarthy and look ahead at
technologies that are still in the dreaming stages.

#############################################################
To get information about the [pa-comnet] mailing-list, 
including how to unsubscribe and how to access the message archive,
send a message to <[email-masked]> .
Send administrative queries to <[email-masked]> .