Subject: CampU.S.

From: Brian Bogart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:11:22 -0700

We must unite to advance our vision of peace or we will perish by  
advancing our technology for war.

1800 schools ready to network for peaceful priorities.
strikeforpeace.org

￼
CampU.S.

Nationwide Strike for Peace Campaign

University of Oregon

PO Box 3150, Eugene, OR 97403

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 21, 2005

University’s only Peace Studies student strikes against war

Brian Bogart worked in the defense industry for 15 years, turning  
down security clearance opportunities three times before leaving  
Silicon Valley.  In 1997, he earned a B.A. in Japanese History from  
the University of Oregon, and is now entering his final year as its  
first graduate student in Peace Studies.

At noon on Monday, September 26, at University of Oregon’s EMU  
Amphitheater, Brian Bogart will launch the nationwide CampU.S. Strike  
for Peace Campaign to coincide with the efforts of Cindy Sheehan, and  
with the support of Noam Chomsky, Robert Jensen, and thousands of  
others at schools across the country.  The campaign will publicize  
the surprising extent of the war industry in our communities, our  
schools, and our lives—and call for a reasonable defense.

“Making even one part of a weapon 10,000 miles from conflict  
contradicts the core meaning of education.  Beginning at noon on the  
first day of the new academic year, I will refuse to study inside the  
classroom of any school that sells itself to war, and I will deliver  
my Petition for Peaceful Priorities to University of Oregon’s  
President Frohnmayer at the same time it is being delivered to the  
White House by Medea Benjamin, co-founder of Code Pink and Global  
Exchange.  Then I will speak against war all year from noon to dusk,  
to focus public attention on statistics that reveal America’s  
obscene war-for-profit economy and my university’s participation in  
the development of the most horrific weapons imaginable.”

CampU.S. Strike for Peace Campaign
September 26, 2005 – June 10, 2006
310,000 companies, including more than 350 universities, work for the  
Pentagon.
How will we ever learn peace while making war in our schools?
US military, $1000 billion a year. US education, $59 billion a year.
strikeforpeace.org