Subject: [extropy-chat] Monkey business

From: Keith Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:07:34 -0500

This morning I got a message from the mailing list software that I had sent 
a request to get off the list.

I didn't do that, so it's malicious.

If the list administrators could send me a copy of that message, it would 
be *most* interesting to see where it originated.

Keith

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat

---

From: "Gina Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:48:57 -0800

I think the figure was generated from the odds of all those names being buried together. 

Gina
www.nanogirl.com 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky 
  To: ExI chat list 
  Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Tomb of Jesus?

  Gina Miller wrote:
  > Yes the names are common, and when asked about this, the response from 
  > the director of the movie (on the CNN channel) was that statisticians 
  > were given the data, and when you add a person who is born to a father 
  > with a specific name, the number drops, when you add a brother, it drops 
  > even further, when you add a mother, it is not so common, resulting in 
  > the statistics of 600 to 1 that this would the family. That's not too 
  > shabby, considering that in current day DNA testing, if your number is 1 
  > in 200 they consider you related.

  Dollars to donuts that 600 to 1 figure is a likelihood, not a posterior. 
    So if there were more than 600 tombs out there, you go figure.

  -- 
  Eliezer S. Yudkowsky                          http://singinst.org/
  Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
  _______________________________________________
  extropy-chat mailing list
  [email-masked]
  http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat