Subject: Bay Area Russell Set meeting reminder and news

From: Bob Riemenschneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:17:17 -0700

Fellow Russellians,

First, a reminder that the next meeting of BARS will be this Sunday, 2 
October.  For details — time, location, and topic — keep reading.

And now, the news ...

BARS has a Yahoo! Group. This site will allow members to receive 
announcements about group activities; check our online calendar; obtain 
reading materials for upcoming meetings; explore a variety of 
Russell-related links; and more! To sign up, just go to 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bay_brs/ and follow the instructions for 
joining this group.

Also, BARS is ready to announce our schedule for the next few months. 
Meetings will remain on the first Sunday of the month (holidays 
excepted), and will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. at Round Table Pizza, 
263 University Avenue, Palo Alto. At present the following meetings are 
planned:

October 2	Russell on Vagueness
		Suggested Reading: “Vagueness” by Bertrand Russell. Available online 
at
		http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Russell/vagueness/

November 6	The Russell-Einstein Manifesto
		Suggested Reading: The Russell-Einstein Manifesto. Available in Has 
Man
		a Future? by Bertrand Russell (many editions, most recently 
Nottingham: 	
		Spokesman Books, 2001). Also available online at
		http://www.pugwash.org/about/manifesto.htm

December 4	Why I Am Not a Christian
		Suggested Reading: Why I Am Not a Christian” by Bertrand Russell.
		Available in Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell (New York:
		Simon and Schuster, 1957) and in many other anthologies. Also 
available
		online at 
http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/humftp/E-text/Russell/why.htm

January 8	Russell and Critical Thinking
		Suggested Reading: “The Art of Rational Conjecture” by Bertrand 
Russell.
		Available in The Art of Philosophizing & Other Essays by Bertrand 
Russell
		(Savage, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1968).

February 5	Russell and Old Age
		Suggested Reading: “Bertrand Russell in His Nineties: Aging and the
		Problem of Biography” by William T. Ross (Journal of Aging and 
Identity
		6:2, (2001): pp. 67-76). This paper will be distributed at BARS 
meetings
		and available at the BARS Yahoo! Group website.

March 5	Russell on World Government
		Suggested Reading: “Bertrand Russell on World Government” by Peter
		Myers. Available at http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/russell2.html

April 2		The CCNY Affair
		Suggested Reading: “How Bertrand Russell Was Prevented from Teaching
		at the College of the City of New York” by Paul Edwards. Available in 
Why 		I Am Not a Christian.

May 18	Celebration of Bertrand Russell’s Birthday
		Note that this meeting will take place on a Thursday. Details of the
		event will follow.

Note that we expect in the future to devote meetings to other essays in 
the collections Why I Am Not a Christian and The Art of Philosophizing, 
so it might be worth your while to purchase these books for future use. 
We also welcome suggestions for future meeting topics. Should you have 
a question about our meeting schedule, or desire more information about 
the group, please feel free to contact us at [email-masked] or 
650-725-2916.

Finally, if you really don’t want to hear from us again, that’s fine 
too; just drop us a line, or give us a call, and we’ll remove you from 
our mailing list.

For the BARS,

Rachel Murray
Bob Riemenschneider
Peter Stone
Ben Wade
Steering Committee, Bay Area Russell Set