Subject: EFF Needs You Now!

From: Electronic Frontier Foundation <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:36:15 -0500 (CDT)

At a packed San Francisco hearing today, the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF) defended your Fourth Amendment rights and 
urged the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to let our class-action
lawsuit against AT&T go forward. The case demands that AT&T 
stop illegally assisting the National Security Agency to snoop on 
its customers' telephone and Internet communications.

There's much more at stake here than stopping the Bush
Administration's illegal spying and holding the telco giant
accountable, though. The President is arguing that thin claims of
"state secrets" can trump the courts' constitutional duty to 
uphold the rule of law.

Without judicial review, there's no way to protect ordinary citizens
against government abuses of power. No president, now or in the
future, should be allowed unfettered authority to evade the courts
and trample on your freedom. As Judge Vaughn Walker wrote in 
rejecting the government's claims at the lower court, "The compromise 
between liberty and security remains a difficult one. But dismissing 
this case at the outset would sacrifice liberty for no apparent 
enhancement of security."

For the past 17 years, EFF has been proud to take on the hard cases to
ensure that your liberty is not sacrificed unnecessarily. Please support
us in this critical case by donating to EFF at http://secure.eff.org/att .
And please spread the word to your friends and family.

Join EFF today! http://secure.eff.org/att

For a News.com story from the hearing:
http://news.com.com/Appeals+court+may+let+NSA+lawsuits+proceed/2100-1028_3-6202865.html

For more about the case: http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/att

Tell Congress to stop the illegal spying: http://action.eff.org/fisa

To unsubscribe from all future email, paste the following URL into your browser:
http://action.eff.org/site/CO?i=rlNe8jHB10OEnuELjbOzZK-oQCVliwWW&cid=0