Subject: CIO Enterprise: How to Adopt Open Source

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:30:39 -0500 (EST)

Is Open Source Ready for the Enterprise?
November 16, 2005

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
Covering ERP, CRM, KM, SCM and security 
in the pages of CIO Magazine and CIO.com

In this issue:

1. ERP: Is Open Source Ready? 

2. OPEN SOURCE: Define "Free" 

3. SOFTWARE: Who Is Open Source?  
 
4. FIELD TESTING: CIOs on Open Source

5. CRM, ERP: Open Source Enterprise Apps 

------------------------SPONSOR-------------------------
This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by MCI

Who can use speech? Experts speak sense on speech
recognition tools

Speech technology has proven an effective tool to 
help organizations meet their goals, from banking 
and the financial sector to mail order to government. 
Discover the business benefits of speech recognition.

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8442&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

1. ERP: Is Open Source Ready?  
Is open source ready for ERP, business intelligence or CRM?
Ready or not, it's happening; the first industrial-grade 
applications in these areas are now emerging. And CIOs will soon 
need to decide how to approach these fresh options in their 
enterprise software catalog. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8388&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

2. OPEN SOURCE: Define "Free" 
But as the open-source model moves up the stack to applications, 
the term open source is morphing to accommodate corporate needs.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8462&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

3. SOFTWARE: Who Is Open Source? 
Executive Editor Christopher Koch dissects a new survey by Rishab 
Ghosh, program leader at the Maastricht Economic Research 
Institute on Innovation and Technology, and report's Ghosh's 
responses. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8463&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

------------------------SPONSOR-------------------------
This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by IBM

Get the most out of your IT with products that help
simplify your infrastructure. So it's easier to manage,
which helps save time, money and resources. Plus help
protect your investment with systems that allow you to
add what you need when you need it. IBM Express Servers
and Storage for mid-sized businesses can help.

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8053&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

4. FIELD TESTING: CIOs on Open Source
CIO Executive Council members came together via a conference call 
to discuss the role of open source in their organizations, 
focusing on topics such as total cost of ownership); making a 
business case to senior executives; and what types of projects 
are best suited for open source.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=6510&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

5. CRM, ERP: Open Source Enterprise Apps 
The emerging crop of enterprise-oriented open-source applications 
grows every day. Here are a few direct links in five categories. 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8464&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

Janice Brand
Executive Editor
[email-masked]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-CIO.com Services-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Take the CIO Media Survey

How have your media habits changed? Are you relying
more on online these days? Are you spending more time
reading? Tell us and enter a drawing for $250. 

Take the CIO Media Survey:  
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8307&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*****************************************************
You are receiving this issue of the CIO Enterprise because
you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your profile, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1284&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

If you would like to receive this update, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1285&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter,
please contact Danielle Tetreault at [email-masked].

CIO's online privacy policy is posted at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=40387979&s=1&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2005. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Joseph Nguyen at
[email-masked] **