Subject: Tell Our "Intelligent Design" Clients They Have Support

From: "Anthony D. Romero, ACLU" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

ACLU: American Civil Liberties Union
Send a Message of Solidarity for Religious Freedom
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=520_rS8yRgpqmTO4Z_rhww..

"'Intelligent design' is not a scientific concept.  It's a
religious concept.  And because I don't subscribe to that particular
brand of religion, I feel that I and my daughter, my family, are being
ridiculed, and my daughter feels the pressure. I reserve the right to
teach my child about religion... And I have faith in myself and in my
husband and in my pastor to do that, not the school system."

--	Christy Rehm, a plaintiff in the ACLU's intelligent
design case taking place in Dover, Pennsylvania

Dear David,

We can forget sometimes how much personal courage it takes to stand
up for your convictions.

But, these last few weeks, as the ACLU's intelligent design case has
unfolded in Dover, Pennsylvania, we've seen ordinary people do
something extraordinary.  Christy and Bryan Rehm and the other
plaintiffs in this historic case have put themselves on the line to
protect their children from religious zealotry and to defend your and
my religious freedom.

We owe these courageous people more than our admiration.  We owe them
a debt of gratitude. You can let them know you appreciate the
tremendous stand for liberty they have taken by sending them a message
of support today. Our ACLU attorneys are providing their dedication,
guidance and expertise on the legal issues, but your personal messages
can add something more:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=htQb-hkamOCmWPdE_fR0_g..

Believe me, every positive note will make a world of difference to
these brave parents and teachers. We'll forward these letters to the
Rehms and their fellow clients, and with your permission, share our
favorite messages with our larger community of supporters online.

Defending freedom means being willing to stand up to those who would
undermine it. None of the rights and liberties the ACLU has advanced
for the past 85 years would have become reality without the courage of
our clients, everyday people who have stood up for their beliefs,
often in the face of tremendous public pressure or downright
intimidation.

The parents and teachers involved in this 21st Century version of the
Scopes Trial are making a difference not just in their communities,
but are influencing a nationwide debate that is about more than just
science education -- it is about the role of religion in our society
and our government.

With the support and partnership of members nationwide, the ACLU will
continue to resist the growing movement of political leaders and
organized extremists with a faith-based vision for America that pushes
aside religious liberty and tolerance to promote and enforce one
particular brand of religion, using government power and taxpayer
dollars.

Stand with the ACLU today and send a loud and clear message that you
support the parents and teachers who are challenging the Dover School
Board's efforts to inject religious doctrine into the science
classroom. Tell them you support their courage. Click here:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=LKXS-pyhV3LlFKzB9QHcmg..

Together, we'll preserve America's tradition of religious liberty
with every ounce of energy we have.

Sincerely,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director
American Civil Liberties Union

To find out more about this case and the intelligent design
issue, go to:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=TUvLVVxrAJ80BswdQGbncg..

To unsubscribe from all future email, paste the following URL into your browser:
http://action.aclu.org/site/CO?i=Y4ImgKgpPwD4FbUcqwIJffMx-R-Yw2ld&cid=0