Subject: Re: [Catalina22] Standing Rigging/Chainplate Eyebolt Kit

From: Glenn Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:30:20 -0400

Chris,

I just replaced my standing rigging.  I think I saved a little money  
doing it myself and got exactly what I wanted.  It is very easy to  
do.  I bought a "bolt cutter" type swaging tool from the Home Depot  
for around $20.00.  I also bought a pair of wire cutters either there  
or Lowes, I don't remember which.  I shopped around for wire and I  
think I ended up getting it from APS.  Definitely shop around.  The  
price differences I found on wire were significant.  Buy the eye  
bolts from CD.  One advantage to buying the tools and doing it  
yourself is that then you have the tools for repairs or next time or  
to lend a buddy a hand.  Sorry I can't do a better price breakdown  
for you.  I did one on this list when I finished the job but I am not  
the type to keep records of money spent on my boat.  My wife might  
find it : )  I seem to remember that I came in a little under CDs  
price including the tools but without turnbuckles which I had  
previously replaced.  West Marine stores have a bench for swaging in  
their stores which they will let you use for free but I did not buy  
any of the supplies for the job from them so I didn't think it was  
right to use their tools.  It  is an easy and quick job to do  
yourself.  I say go for it.  By the way I love the name of your boat.

Glenn Warner
Goblin#10369
Jacksonville Florida
On Oct 19, 2005, at 7:29 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Hello all,
> I need to replace my standing rigging and my old 3/8" eyebolts. I  
> was wondering
> if it would possibly be cost effective to piece together all the  
> parts or if I
> should go ahead and pay Catalina Direct the $350 + $120?
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Brown
> 1970 #108 "Ta-Keel-Ah"
> Corvallis, OR
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> --------------
> For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
> http://chipford.com/list/instructs.htm
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on unsubscribing or contacting the list owner, go to:
http://chipford.com/list/instructs.htm