Subject: Re: Darwin's 200th Birthday

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:04:16 EST

As a science educator, you may already realize that Darwin's 200th  birthday 
will occur on February 12th, 2009. Our 'Darwin Day'  project is a nonprofit 
organization designed to promote science  education and at the same time develop 
an International Celebration of Science  and Humanity each year on, or near, 
Feb. 12th. Darwin and the theory of  evolution are being used as symbols of 
scientific progress, and our goal is  to achieve a Global Celebration by 2009. 
Currently, events are  being registered on our Website for 2005.

The purpose of  this letter is to invite you to visit our website at  
http://darwinday.org  -- and then to consider joining many others  in this 
constructive educational effort. Our website  offers extensive information to assist you 
in developing ideas for a  'celebration' that is suitable for your own unique 
circumstances and in  addition you can browse the events from previous years 
for  many more ideas.  

Supporters include prominent  scientists, educators, philosophers, and 
writers such as: Patrick  Bateson, Provost, Kings College, Cambridge; Edward O. 
Wilson, Harvard  University; Richard Dawkins, Oxford University; Daniel C. 
Dennett, Tufts  University; Steven Pinker, MIT; Helena Cronin, London School of  
Economics; Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education; Steve  Jones, 
Univ. College London; and many others. We encourage you to join them  and become 
an enthusiastic participant in this project.  To sign up  quickly, register at 
http://darwinday.org/register/index.php  .

Sincerely Yours,  

Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology  Program, 
SRI International, formerly Stanford Research  Institute.
Chairman of the Board, Darwin Day Celebration, a  Nonprofit Corp.
http://darwinday.org  

PS If you do  not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration, simply reply  to this e-mail at  [email-masked].