Subject: PARC Forum February 22, 2007 : "The quality of information: High-tech supply and low-tech command", Paul Duguid, University of California, Berkeley

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:36:17 PST

PARC Forum

Thursday, February 22, 2007, 4:00-5:00 PM

George E. Pake Auditorium

Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

This forum is OPEN to the public.

TITLE: The quality of information: High-tech supply and low-tech command

SPEAKER: Paul Duguid, University of California, Berkeley

ABSTRACT:

Can the seventeenth-century publishing business or the
nineteenth-century wine trade tell us much about twenty-first century
high-tech supply chains? In this talk, I will suggest that each of these
commercial sectors faced problematic questions about the quality of
information in disaggregated supply chains and each came up with
surprisingly similar solutions. A comparison suggests that as vertically
integrated organizations come under attack, "vertical competition" may
become a particularly salient feature of the high-tech landscape, and
that while much attention has focused on the role of copyrights and
patents in this landscape, trademarks may turn out to be the more
influential branch of the IP triad. 

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

Paul Duguid is adjunct professor at the School of Information at the
University of California, Berkeley and professorial research fellow at
Queen Mary, University of London. His current research interests include
the history and development of trademarks.

A more complete bio can found at
http://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/~duguid/.
*************************************************

Next Week's Forum: March 1, 2007

"Transforming R&D To Win In Global Innovation Networks"

Navi Radjou, Vice President at Forrester Research

***************************************************

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

http://www.parc.com/about/directions.html   

---------------------------------------------------------

PARC (Palo Alto Research Center Inc.)
Phone: (650) 812-4000
3333 Coyote Hill Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94304
http://www.parc.com   

---------------------------------------------------------

PAST FORUMS: Many of our past forums are available at
http://www.parc.com/events/forum/archive.php 

---------------------------------------------------------

Subscribing:

If this message has been forwarded to you and you would like to receive
PARC Forum announcements, you may subscribe online at

http://www.parc.com/contact/subscribe.html 

---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:

If you would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please send
email to [email-masked] specifying the e-mail address to be unsubscribed
and the distribution list from which you would like to be removed.