Subject: CIO Insider: Your Guide To Good-Enough Compliance

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:46:19 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
April 10, 2007

Your Guide To Good-Enough Compliance 

Decisions about complying with Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA and 
other state, federal and international rules for security 
and privacy is often an exercise in risk management and 
negotiation. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7084/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. IT at the Department of Defense: Adding Insult to Injury
2. Outsourcing Lessons Learned in China
3. The Art of Persuasion
4. Why Hasn't IT Embraced Usability?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Cisco

Customer Privacy and Data Security in Retail

Video: Privacy vs. Customer Intimacy-Strike the Balance Mohsen 
Moazami, VP Internet Business Solutions Group at Cisco hosts a 
discussion with Governor Tom Ridge and Circuit City CIO Bill 
McCorey. Ridge and McCorey share their thoughts on how enterprises 
in private and public sectors must address security, resiliency 
and risk to achieve a comfortable balance of privacy and intimacy 
for their customers. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6828/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. IT at the Department of Defense: Adding Insult to Injury

U.S. veterans of the Iraq War continue to struggle with 
Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Government Accountability 
Office reports from two years ago and congressional hearings 
as far back as 2004 illustrate a pattern of IT failures--and 
no realistic strategy to fix them.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7085/0/

2. Outsourcing Lessons Learned in China

Most companies that offshore development end up making 
cost or responsibility concessions. Over time they realize 
that to make outsourcing work, they’ve got to start focusing 
on quality. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7086/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by HP

Change Artists

Find out how CEOs and CIOs of today’s leading companies turn 
change into a competitive advantage. Watch Change Artists, an 
interactive webcast featuring Chevron CTO Don Paul. Produced by 
HP and broadcast by CNN and CIOmagazine. Sign up now 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6940/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Art of Persuasion

You would think that the executive who consumes, on average, 
nearly 50 percent of the capital invested by businesses would 
have a lot of power. You would be wrong. Explains Susan Cramm,
CIOs are basically powerless and they know it. Yet some CIOs 
get a little cranky with their Rodney Dangerfield role and 
parlay themselves and their organizations into a power deficit.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7087/0/

4. Why Hasn't IT Embraced Usability?

Theo Mandel has been a usability and user interface design 
professional, author and consultant for the past 15 years. But
he's still amazed that Corporate IT management still hasn't 
"gotten" usability. Why should he have to spend so much effort 
to convince managers that they should pay attention to the 
usability of their software products?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7088/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. The Big OS Questions: Windows, Linux or Mac?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7089/0/

2. ABC: An Introduction to Web 2.0
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7090/0/

3. What JetBlue's CIO Learned About Customer Satisfaction
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7091/0/

4. CIO.com Blog Post: Are You Adequately Compensated?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7092/0/

5. Green IT: Environmental Sustainability Can Yield Increased Profits
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7093/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Oracle 

Oracle's Siebel CRM On Demand delivers a comprehensive, 
strategic solution for sales, marketing and service, along 
with powerful analytics and embedded virtual call center 
capabilities. Built from the ground up for ease of use and 
administration by business users, Siebel CRM On Demand delivers 
rapid time to business value. And because it's from Oracle; 
the #1 provider of CRM, organizations are assured of receiving 
the services, expertise, and commitment they need for CRM 
success. Thanks to a continued investment in technology, Siebel 
CRM On Demand can meet your company's needs today and support 
your business as it grows and evolves. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/7098/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to stop getting CIO Insider,
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6886/0/

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences, 
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/2635/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6974/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/2636/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/749109/139199/6975/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007 All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].