Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] mast raising

From: Peter Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:42:36 -0400

Jon,

You need to see Ken Brown's ingenious system:

Check out <http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum11.html>

He may get back to you before this, but just in case he's out of  
touch for a bit, following are more details from him in an earlier e- 
mail to this list.

Pete Snyder
Windabout - 1978 sk #8329
Lake Chickamauga, TN

-----------------------------------------

Ok. Here goes:
I have the #D1280 Single Hand Mast Raising System from Catalina  
Direct as per CD C22 Owner's Handbook
	Modifications that were required:
	Reinforce thin plate at bottom of gin pole, original was way too  
easy to bend at the lower 6 inches or so where it attaches to the mast.
	Remove mast stabilizing guy cables from attachment to deck hardware
	Install as per instructions otherwise
And I also have the #D1651 Mast Up mast crutch from CD <http:// 
www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm? 
fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=636>

Whatever method is used to lift the mast, even if doing manually, the  
mast stabilizing A-frame would be effective.

To make the mast stabilizing A-frame:
Qty 1, #D1142 Gooseneck Slide from CD <http://www.catalinadirect.com/ 
index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=292>

Qty 1, 3/8"x1 1/2" hex head bolt with wingnut

Qty 2, 6ft x 1/2" copper tubing of the plumbing variety from Canadian  
Tire. Other similar tubing may work as well. Orient flattened parts  
on the same plane at both ends
Flatten 1 1/4" of tubes at bottom end, round corners, drill clearance  
hole in flattened part for 1/4" bolt, centered about 3/8" from end
Flatten 1 1/4" of tubes at slider end, round corners, drill clearance  
hole in flattened part for 3/8" bolt centered about 9/16" from end

Bend flats at each end of tubes at an angle to match the deck  
hardware and the slider properly

If not using the CD Single Hand Mast Raising System, you would need  
Qty 2 of the deck hardware. I think this bimini quick release mount  
would work nicely, it looks exactly the same as the CD supplied with  
the kit:
<http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi? 
r=detail_view&item_num=33714>	

My deck hardware is mounted with the pivot directly abeam of the mast  
step mast pivot bolt, and as far abeam from the mast step on the  
cabin top as possible, consistent with the two hold down bolts being  
accessible in the cabin.

The deck hardware must be located similarly on both sides such that  
the A-frame tubing lengths keep the mast centered, but the fore aft  
location is not overly critical anymore since the slider compensates  
for the changing geometry.

My boat is 1988.
Mast type is oval with flat sides.
My mast step is like <http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm? 
fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=345> except with slotted holes  
in the base.

Tools required:
Electric Drill
9/32" bit
13/32" bit
vise for flattening

Mast is currently supported by a home made mast crutch from the  
previous owner but I have purchased the one from CD for future use.

Ken

Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764 - CTYH4764F888

On May 9, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Jon Hubertz wrote:

Did anyone save the specifics of the mast raising system with the  
supports to prevent sideways movement. I'd like to duplicate, but  
need info. on length, placement, deck hardware, etc.

Jon Hubertz
2733 Deborah Drive
Punta Gorda, FL 33950-8182
914-505-4089 Voice &Fax
[email-masked]
'84 #12231

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:06:25 -0500

Jon:

Your mast may have slots for baby stays as does the Surprise.  They are
about 6 feet up either side of the mast.   I put a hook in each slot and
tie the line off to my turning blocks to prevent side-to-side movement of
the mast when raising.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
3M Office of Intellectual Property Counsel
651-733-3597