Subject: CryoNet #29383 - #29384

From: CryoNet <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 2007 09:00:02 -0000

CryoNet - Tue 3 Apr 2007

    #29384: Meat And Two Neutrons: The Key To A Longer Life [Basie]

Rate This Digest: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29383%2D29384

Administrivia

To subscribe to CryoNet, send email to:
    [email-masked]
with the subject line (not message _body_):
    subscribe
To unsubscribe, use the subject line:
    unsubscribe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29384
From: "Basie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Meat And Two Neutrons: The Key To A Longer Life
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:28:19 -0400

Meat And Two Neutrons: The Key To A Longer Life
Science Daily - Indulging in an isotope-enhanced steak or chicken fillet 
every now and again could add as much as 10 years to your life. Scientists 
have shown for the first time that food enriched with natural isotopes 
builds bodily components that are more resistant to the processes of ageing. 
The concept has been demonstrated in worms and researchers hope that the 
same concept can help extend human life and reduce the risk of cancer and 
other diseases of ageing, reports Marina Murphy in Chemistry & Industry, the 
magazine of the SCI.

A team led by Mikhail Shchepinov, formerly of Oxford University, fed 
nematode worms nutrients reinforced with natural isotopes (naturally 
occurring atomic variations of elements). In initial experiments, worms' 
life spans were extended by 10%, which, with humans expected to routinely 
coast close to the centenary, could add a further 10 years to human life.

Food enhanced with isotopes is thought to produce bodily constituents and 
DNA more resistant to detrimental processes, like free radical attack. The 
isotopes replace atoms in susceptible bonds making these bonds stronger. 
'Because these bonds are so much more stable, it should be possible to slow 
down the process of oxidation and ageing,' Shchepinov says.

The isotopes could be used in animal feed so that humans could get the 
"age-defying" isotopes indirectly in steaks or chicken fillets, for example, 
rather than eating chemically enhanced products themselves. Shchepinov says 
an occasional top-up would be sufficient to have a beneficial effect.

Ageing experts are impressed with the isotopic approach. Aubrey de Grey, the 
Cambridge-based gerontologist, says it could be very relevant to the rates 
of several chemical and enzymatic processes relevant to ageing 'It is a 
highly novel idea,' he says. 'But it remains to be seen whether it can be 
the source of practicable therapies, but it is a prospect that certainly 
cannot be ruled out.'

Charles Cantor, a professor of biomechanical engineering at Boston 
University, said: 'Preliminary data indicates that this approach can 
potentially increase lifespan without adverse side effects. If this is borne 
out by further experiments the implications are profound.'

Isotopes could also be used in pet food or as a means to protect workers or 
soldiers from radiation. Deuterium, a natural isotope of hydrogen (with 2 
protons rather than one) could be used routinely.

Basie
www.agingtheory.com/ 

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29384

----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of CryoNet Digest
*********************