Subject: CIO Enterprise: Complex IT Will Kill Your Business

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:45:00 -0400

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
August 1, 2007

Covering ERP, CRM, KM, SCM and security 
in the pages of CIO magazine and CIO.com

Complex IT Will Kill Your Business       

Your competitive edge is becoming dull under the weight of your 
business processes and the technology that underpins them. Here's 
some advice to help you sharpen up. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10257/0/

Also in this issue:
1. How to Stab Your Boss in the Back    
2. Managers Don't Take Enough Vacation   
3. How to Cope With Tainted Goods from China and Other Supply Chain Risks 
4. Time to Rethink Your Relationship With End Users 
5. Collaborative Tools Help TCS Grow its Business   
6. Why Ruby on Rails Succeeded    
7. The Benefits of No  
8. Technology Showdown: The Bar Code Versus RFID   
9. Looking for Tips to Make Your Job Easier?
	
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by HP

IT’s Role in Health and Life Sciences

IT plays a critical role in how the health and life sciences industry 
captures, manages and gains insights from data. This case study reveals 
how Partners HealthCare, the Harvard Medical School-Partners HealthCare 
Center for Genetics and Genomics, and HP have developed a collaborative 
IT model to improve patient care and advance research.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10258/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. How to Stab Your Boss in the Back     

Think you can do a better job than your out-of-touch manager? 
Trying to oust him is a career move fraught with risk, but it may be 
be a smart business decision. And it can be done, if you heed these 
five steps.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10259/0/

2. Managers Don't Take Enough Vacation    
Do you use the vacation time you've earned? If you're like most execs, 
probably not. Taking a break once in awhile is necessary for work-life 
balance and getting recharged for the work ahead. Researcher Chuck Martin 
explains these unrelaxing findings.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10260/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Interactive Intelligence

Internet Protocol Communications on the Brain

Recent research reveals a strong migration to Internet Protocol communications. 
Download this white paper to discover why business and IT leaders are 
increasingly turning to this technology, and also get advice from the trenches 
on IP strategy.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10261/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. How to Cope With Tainted Goods from China and Other Supply Chain Risks    

If you and your company are part of the global economy, it’s essential 
that you monitor the work product of your suppliers and business 
partners overseas—early, often and forever.    
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10262/0/

4. Time to Rethink Your Relationship With End Users   

As the rise of shadow systems attests, end users can build their own 
systems. If you want to stay relevant, you need to stop developing 
applications for them and start working with them. Learn why collaboration 
with end users is essential for IT department survival and how to do it 
successfully.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10263/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Trend Micro

2007 Virtual Security Summit: Protecting Your Enterprise: 
Now and Into the Future

As new threats emerge, how will you secure your business from financial 
risks and costly downtime? On June 7, join experts from CSO Magazine and 
Trend Micro to learn about security trends, strategies and best practices.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/8751/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Collaborative Tools Help TCS Grow its Business 

How do you create a collaborative setting with a legacy network? 
You don't. You get a new network. Tata Consultancy Services did just 
that and is reaping dividends today.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10264/0/

6. Why Ruby on Rails Succeeded     

The software development framework has earned a vocal following and 
created loyal users. One Ruby expert explains what this community did right, 
and how others can learn from it.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10265/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Egenera

Virtualization Drives Verifiable, Flexible Business Continuity 
and Disaster Resiliency Solutions

More than ever, your organization needs to be focused on Business 
Continuity and Disaster Resiliency (BCDR). Many regulatory and industry 
compliance programs mandate that a BCDR plan be in effect and that it be 
continually tested for real world effectiveness.View this "Virtualization 
Drives Verifiable, Flexible Business Continuity and Disaster 
Resiliency Solutions" webcast today.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10266/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. The Benefits of No   

It's not that you mean to be a yes-man, or to overload yourself or your team 
with work. But many managers—likely including you—have a hard time learning 
how and when to say no to the boss. Learning how to use this tool effectively
can increase your productivity and save your sanity. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10267/0/

8. Technology Showdown: The Bar Code Versus RFID  

The much-hyped RFID challenges the UPC bar code, for decades the tried-and-true, 
black-striped workhorse of businesses everywhere. Putting them head to head, 
let's see who wins. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10268/0/ 

9. Looking for Tips to Make Your Job Easier?

>From tutorials on new or advanced technologies to hands-on advice 
about how to solve your thorniest business problems, we've got you 
covered. This monthly newsletter is filled with tips and strategies 
to keep you and your team on the cutting edge. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/6884/0/

Hot Picks

1. Dearly Departed: Companies and Products That Didn't Deserve to Die
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10269/0/

2. 10 Things You Should Never Put in E-Mail, and Other Communication Tips
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10270/0/

3. 7 Highly Effective Ways to Kill Innovation (and 7 to Make Sure You Don't)
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10271/0/

4. A Pointed Question from a Job Applicant: How Would You Answer This?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10272/0/

5. 7 Ways Technology Vendors Blow the Sales Pitch
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/10273/0/

Katherine Walsh
Associate Staff Writer
CXO Media

Is this newsletter informative and useful? Check out our
other newsletters for up-to-date information on topics
such as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/2656/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Cisco

Video: Privacy vs. Customer Intimacy-Strike the Balance 

Delivering a rewarding customer experience requires intimacy, but sharing 
data infringes on privacy – so retailers must stay on top of risk.  Now 
Governor Tom Ridge and Circuit City CIO Bill McCorey share their insight 
into balancing customer intimacy and privacy.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/9351/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Enterprise because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

For editing newsletter preferences/unsubscribing:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/6886/0/

For subscribing to newsletters:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/2659/0/

The CIO privacy policy:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1037110/649768/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked]. **