Subject: CryoNet #29521 - #29523

From: CryoNet <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 May 2007 09:00:03 -0000

CryoNet - Thu 24 May 2007

    #29521: Google trend site and cryonics [RudiHoffman]
    #29522: Re: [LongevityReport] jason x [John de Rivaz]
    #29523: Re: Google Trends [Basie]

Rate This Digest: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29521%2D29523

Administrivia

To subscribe to CryoNet, send email to:
    [email-masked]
with the subject line (not message _body_):
    subscribe
To unsubscribe, use the subject line:
    unsubscribe

To post a message to CryoNet, send your message to:
    [email-masked]
(Note: A "Subject:" line starting the message body replaces
the "Subject:" line in the header.  This gives a second
opportunity to provide a meaningful subject line.)

Since all CryoNet messages are archived and accessible via WWW,
including search engines, make certain that your postings
reflect how you want the world to see you.

To retrieve past messages, send email to:
    [email-masked]
with the message numbers in the subject line.
(Message 0003 describes the advanced syntax.)
You also can retrieve them via the CryoNet web page at URL:
    http://www.cryonet.org/

For administrative or other questions/suggestions, send email
to me at "[email-masked]" with "cryonics" in the subject line.
    - Kevin Q. Brown

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29521
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:22:50 EDT
Subject: Google trend site and cryonics

In a message dated 5/23/2007 4:03:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I  just discovered Google Trends and checked it out for cryonics. It is
based  on the volume of searches on Google and allows you to "compare
the world's  interest in your favorite topics." If this is a reliable
indicator, then  cryonics is way more popular in the Philippines right
now than in any other  country, followed by Australia, Canada, United
States, India, United  Kingdom, Belgium, Netherlands, France, and
Germany. Even for languages,  English is a distant second to Tagalog
when it comes to cryonics searches.  For individual cities, however,
Phoenix is at the top, followed by Toronto,  Los Angeles, Chicago,
Sydney, New York, London, Amsterdam, Orlando, and  Birmingham, UK.

So why all this interest from the Philippines? Are they  also signing up?

You can try it yourself  at
http://www.google.com/trends

Rate This Message: _http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29520_ 
(http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29520) 

(End copying,
Rudi Hoffman writing)

Thanks for pointing this  interesting site out, Eivind!

It is remarkable.  One can correlate  spikes in interest to news 
articles...although the correlation is not  perfect.  
 
I have to wonder  about a few anomalous and counterintuitive elements of the 
data....
 
It strikes me as extremely unlikely, for instance, that more folks  doing 
cryonics searches are doing this in the language of Tagalog than English!  LOL...
 
(BTW, I could be wrong...I often am.  But I have written the  actual funding 
mechanism for 83% of the WORLD market share in cryonics for folks  who 
actually sign up...and not of one of these spoke Tagalog to my  knowledge.  Nor were 
ANY of them from the  Philippines...)
 
Anyway, yet another wonder of modern technology to marvel  about...and 
waste...oops, I mean invest...a huge amount of time  exploring.
 
We may not have jet packs, flying cars, or reversible  cryosuspensions...but 
we DO have a science fiction technology called the  internet and Google! 

Rudi
 
PS...Just returned from TREMENDOUS Suspended Animation conference  in South 
Florida.  Hopefully someone will report a bit about this on  cryonet.  
 
Rudi Richard  Hoffman CFP CLU ChFC

Board Member Financial Planning Association  fpafla.org
Board Member Salvation Army salvationarmy.org
Member Alcor Life  Extension Foundation alcor.org
Certified Financial Planner(TM) CFP Board of  Standards 
Member Libertarian Party libertarianparty.org
Member National  Rifle Association nra.org
Member World Transhumanist Association  http://transhumanism.org/
World's Leading Cryonics Insurance Provider  rudihoffman.com

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

 Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"

[ AUTOMATICALLY SKIPPING HTML ENCODING! ] 

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29521

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29522
From: "John de Rivaz" <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [LongevityReport] jason x
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:19:50 +0100

We watched Jason X http://imdb.com/title/tt0211443/ . Chrissie left it after
20 minutes on the basis that there was no sensible plot and the whole thing
was gratuitous violence pointless sexual suggestions, all to no purpose. She 
also found the concept of
serious female cryonics scientists in scanty clothing as these were whilst 
doing their work
to be ludicrous.

I did see it through to the end and it could well be that the screenwriters
had read cryonet and similar lists to get the ideas of cryonics,
nanotechnology, electronic companions, and similar ideas.

However it looks as though they had also seen "Alien"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/ and appeared to want to find a vehicle
for a film that would replicate its success. The idea of making money from
the killing machine was similar, but why did the killing machine exist at
all? In "Alien" there was the logic that it was simply an alien life form --
in the same way a poisonous snake, wasp or stinging nettle is an undesirable
life form produced by the natural selection of animals, insects or plants.

Was Jason X a US military experiment? Why was its face disfigured? Was it to
emulate the 1930s Boris Karlov film "The Raven"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026912/ in which it was suggested that an ugly
appearance caused the person to behave in an ugly manner?

Clicking through IMDB it is possible to see that "Jason X" is one in a
string of films about Jason Vorhees, in which it appears that there is
little to reveal why he behaves as he does. The introduction of cryonics in
"Jason X" is clearly just a method to make a futuristic film about his
career of killing people for the sake of it. The IMDB page reveals an
industry selling products such as a "Jason Mask", and I wonder how many
mentally ill people have been made sicker as a result of watching these
films.

The special effects, mood music, and so on were all there. But why waste
them without including a thought provoking plot? Such a waste. I suspect
that some hapless author may have written a better screenplay, but had all
the thought provoking bits removed to provide 90 minutes of pornography of
violence.

It is a shame that they have to use "our" subjects as a vehicle for this
sort of thing. It does the logical arguments in favour of cryopreservation
as a caring life saving procedure no good at all.

I also find it irritating that whatever makes Jason Vorhees be invulnerable
as well as immortal is coupled with a compulsion to kill everything else.
The message is clearly in favour of those who like the idea of ageing,
suffering and death, without providing a clear logical argument. (ie it
suggests that the result of providing invulnerability is to create a
mindless killer).

-- 
Sincerely, John de Rivaz:  http://John.deRivaz.com for websites including
Cryonics Europe, Longevity Report, The Venturists, Porthtowan, Alec Harley
Reeves - inventor, Arthur Bowker - potter, de Rivaz genealogy,  Nomad .. and
more
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "sebastian melmoth" <[email-masked]>
To: "longevity report" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:34 PM
Subject: [LongevityReport] jason x

> cryonically-themed movie on channel 4 this evening - 23.10 hours.
>
>  definitely not to be confused with jason king from department S [
>  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063893/ ]
>  ----------------
>
>  23:10
>  Jason X
>  [repeat] [subtitles] [widescreen]         (2001) Get ready for a sci-fi
> slasher as hockey-masked nutter Jason Voorhees returns in the ninth, and
> best, Friday The 13th sequel.
>
>  In the 25th century, a group of archaeologists discover two cryogenically
> frozen figures on a desolate Earth. One is scientist Rowan - and the other
> is Jason Voorhees...
>
>  http://imdb.com/title/tt0211443/
>

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29522

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29523
From: "Basie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Google Trends
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:53:55 -0400

Something is wrong with the Google's trends. It also shows the Philippines 
near the top on aging.

Basie 

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29523

----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of CryoNet Digest
*********************