Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Furler Problem OPINIONS NEEDED

From: Glenn Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:32:46 -0400

Jim, I don't think your problem is a need to lube the track.  It  
wouldn't hurt, but even if the track needs lubing badly, you should  
still be able to hoist your sail.  But lube it anyway by spraying  
McLube on the bolt rope as you feed it into the slot.  I think some  
of the other things Thomas said are more likely.  I am not that  
familiar with roller furlers but have quite a bit of experience with  
head stay foils from my fordeck work on race boats. Same principle in  
the way the sail rides in a slot.  The most common cause of the sail  
not going up is, as Thomas said, bunching up as the sail enters the  
slot.  Does your foil have a prefeeder to keep the bolt rope aligned  
as you hoist.  If not, or even if it does, be sure it has a straight  
run to the slot and no extra material gets sucked into the groove as  
it feeds in.  Is there a bugger in the bolt rope where it feeds into  
the slot at the height where it gets hung up?  How about the  
halyard?  does it run free to the top without the sail attached?  Tie  
a tag line to it and hoist it to the top.  If the halyard runs, the  
sail is feeding into the slot smoothly, and the bolt rope is not  
oversized(shouldn't be if the sail has been up the track before)you  
are probably going to have to drop the mast and take a closer look at  
the foil.  Don't worry.  It takes about 5 minutes to drop it and you  
get faster with experience.  Good luck and let us know what the  
answer was.

Glenn Warner
Goblin#10369
JuJu#1222
Jacksonville Florida
On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Jim McGee wrote:

> Thomas,
> I'm trying to picture how I'd rig a piece of material to run up  
> inside the track without dropping the mast...
>
> Jim
>
> Thomas Holz wrote:
>> Hi Jim
>>         I would try to run a piece of material up the track to ;  
>> one..
>> to clean it out,  two...to see if you can feel a restriction  
>> within the track.
>> Somtimes mud wasp's get in there.  Then run another piece of  
>> material up it
>> with a dry lube, sailcote.  If the sail still does not go up  
>> smoothly, check the sail as it travels upward, it's not getting  
>> hung up anywhere, or bunching up as it enters the track?  If it's  
>> pinched, like you said, you might be able to sand down that spot  
>> by inserting a rolled up piece of fine emery paper and sanding it  
>> a little bit.  The bowline is used often for haylards, and I would  
>> replace the line.  Good luck, Jay   PS. be sure to clean the track  
>> again if you do any sanding, then dry lube again as well.
>>
>> Thomas Jay Holz
>> Amsterdam,NY
>> 1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
>> CTYH5021E989
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim McGee"  
>> <[email-masked]>
>> To: <[email-masked]>
>> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:50 PM
>> Subject: [Catalina-22] Furler Problem OPINIONS NEEDED
>>
>>
>>> Hey Folks,
>>> I'm gradually getting everything ready to go. The boat will be  
>>> dropped in
>>> the water tomorrow and the surveyor is coming on Saturday morning.
>>>
>>> Well, I ran into my first problem. I have a flexible furler, and  
>>> when I
>>> tried to get the jib on it would go up to within about three feet  
>>> of the
>>> mast before getting stuck. Up until then it slides freely in the  
>>> track,
>>> and I was able to bring it back down with a minimum of fuss. If I  
>>> stand on
>>> the ground and sight up the plastic extrusion there are some  
>>> bends, but no
>>> kinks, and the bends aren't anywhere near where it's hanging up.  
>>> I tried
>>> pulling it past the sticking point. No go. And I was afraid to  
>>> pull too
>>> hard for fear of getting it good and stuck.
>>>
>>> What does everyone recommend for lubricating the track? I'm  
>>> guessing that
>>> there is a spot that is a bit pinched and once I'm past it I'll  
>>> be fine.
>>>
>>> Also I used a bowline to attach the halyard to the head of the  
>>> jib. Is
>>> this the correct knot?
>>>
>>> Finally the halyard rope is fairly stiff. I'm assuming this means  
>>> I should
>>> probably replace it come fall.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Jim McGee
>>> Maple Shade, NJ
>>> C22 - Chomping at the bit !
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:56:30 -0400

A bowline is a good strong knot. That is how I tie my jib on.

Sailcoat is a great lube for sail tracks / pulleys etc.

Bill Bell
#13784, Phoenix
87sk, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim McGee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 7:07 am
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Furler Problem OPINIONS NEEDED

And is a bowline the correct knot to attach the halyard to the jib? 
 
I don't want it to fail in use. 
 
Jon Golliher wrote: 
> I used Sailcoat on mine this spring and it made a big difference. > I 
also use lots of it on tne mainsail slugs to help it go up and down > 
easier. That's real good stuff ! 
> Fair winds, 
> Jon Golliher 
> '85 SK 12712 
> Happy Daze 
> Anderson, IN 
<[email-masked]> 
>> I'm gradually getting everything ready to go. The boat will be >> 
dropped in the water tomorrow and the surveyor is coming on Saturday >> 
morning. 
>> Well, I ran into my first problem. I have a flexible furler, and 
when >> I tried to get the jib on it would go up to within about three 
feet >> of the mast before getting stuck. Up until then it slides 
freely in >> the track, and I was able to bring it back down with a 
minimum of >> fuss. If I stand on the ground and sight up the plastic 
extrusion >> there are some bends, but no kinks, and the bends aren't 
anywhere >> near where it's hanging up. I tried pulling it past the 
sticking >> point. No go. And I was afraid to pull too hard for fear of 
getting >> it good and stuck. 
>> 
>> What does everyone recommend for lubricating the track? I'm guessing 
 >> that there is a spot that is a bit pinched and once I'm past it I'll 
>> be fine. 
>> 
>> Also I used a bowline to attach the halyard to the head of the jib. 
>> Is this the correct knot? 
>> 
>> Finally the halyard rope is fairly stiff. I'm assuming this means I 
>> should probably replace it come fall. 
>> 
>> Thanks in advance, 
>> Jim McGee 
>> Maple Shade, NJ 

________________________________________________________________________
Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and 
industry-leading spam and email virus protection.
=0

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:02:26 -0500

Jim:

Check your furler against the diagram in the CDI handbook.    Here's a link
- go to page 4.

http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF1%20manual%207_06.pdf

Your problem may be the ferrule "H" has pulled to the wrong side of the top
fitting "J".    THis happened to me once.   If so, you won't be able to fix
it without dropping the mast.   THe halyard below the ferrule is cored so
it can exit the vinyl luff extrusion.   THe halyard above the ferrule is
not.  It's possible the ferrule is now on the "sail side" of the extrusion.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
Surprise #15434

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:04:08 -0500

Jim:

Use a bowline to hank on the sail, I also secure the bowline with a small
zip cable tie.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
3M Office of Intellectual Property Counsel
651-733-3597

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:31:48 -0500

I looked at the diagram via the link. Couldn't I nurse the ferrule back over the
top if I have a tag line secured to the halyard?