Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] XAS spinlock rope clutches

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:24:20 EDT

Rope clutches are sized for certain rope diameters.  Offhand, I am  guessing 
you may be using a rope diameter too large for your rope clutch.   Do you know 
the rope diameter range for your rope clutch?  Further, what do  you use for 
a lubricant?  If it has petroleum distillates in it, that could  have caused 
an early death to your clutches.  Note, there are some  "silicone" sprays that 
have petroleum distillates in them.  One must read  the can contents.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 9/14/2007 5:26:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Have any  of you ever had a failure with your Spinlock XAS rope clutch?

I have  managed to snap the ear off two of them pulling the clutch lever shut 
while  the main halyard was under tension. The ear just above the axel that 
the  clutch handle rotates on is what snaps off and always the right side as 
you  face the rear of the clutch.  I'm trying to figure out if I am working it  
incorrectly and causing this failure, given that I have done this twice  now.

Any ideas?

Stuart Youngblood
Fort Worth,  Texas
1977 Swing Keel "The Girls"  #7932
CTVH7932M77L

************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com