Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [R/C] Outboard Motor Choice

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:25:10 EDT

I have a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke on Serenity Now! This seems to be quite  
adequate as long as I stay out of fast current and heavy weather situations. My  
boat is a racer and I wanted to eliminate the 65 pound outboard the P.O. had  
hung on the transom. The tohatsu weighs 43 pounds.
 
Russ Hauser
Tavares, FL
1982 Swing Keel
Serenity Now! #11337
CTYH1337M82L

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:04:07 EDT

I have a six horsepower Evinrude two cycle long shaft which I am sure is  
comparable to yours in weight.
 
The bottom line is that while a lighter engine would be better (mine  is 
roughly sixty pounds) it is really good to have that extra oomph for sailing  in 
sea or ocean conditions as you do and as I do in Long Island Sound.   Dick King 
used a heavy six horsepower engine when he sailed off the waters of  Florida 
and recommended it for that use.
 
I have toyed with the idea of getting a smaller lighter engine, but again,  
the waves and wind of salt water conditions could make that a poor  decision.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 7/27/2007 2:04:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hello  All,

I'm considering replacing the outboard on my Cat 22. It currently  has  
an 8 hp Johnson Sailmaster Long shaft. The engine runs fine but  seems  
like overkill / overweight. I never have needed anywhere near  full  
throttle.

Light weight would be very desirable for ease  of removing the motor  
and stowing for racing and for longer sails  where use of the motor  
seems unlikely. I'd prefer a 2 stroke for the  lighter weight. I'm  
thinking around 4 hp would be good, but perhaps  even less would be  
sufficient?  Would 2 hp be capable of moving  the boat? I don't keep  
it on a dock so super maneuverability is not  a large concern.

I plan on keeping the 8hp in case I'd like to do a  long intracoastal  
run where motoring would be important.

Any  thoughts or suggestions?

Paul

Paul M. Hellings
St.  Augustine Beach, FL
1984 Catalina 22  "Dolly"
Swing Keel - Sail #  12629