Subject: [Catalina-22] [LIST] - Ah good, it's working!

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:00:43 -0400

Ah good, the list is working this morning.  I checked it when I awoke and
was wondering.  I just did a test 'who' command, and it came back along with
Robert's message so all is well.
 
I was hoping there were no problems, as I'm headed out to the yard and "Chip
Ahoy" to continue loading it and preparing for the trailering over to
Riverhead Beach and its ramp.  There we'll raise the mast and I'll spend the
remainder of the day (until the rain begins) rigging and readying it for
launching on the tide tomorrow, at about 11:00 am.
 
My mast-raising crew of buddies this morning will be Wally Riddle
(former-owner of "Carpe Diem"), Mike Sullivan (current-owner of "Carpe
Diem"), and John Graichen ("Malacass").  They'll be here at 10:00 am, so
I've gotta run . . .
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [ <mailto:[email-masked]>
mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Robert Bemben
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 6:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] Swing Keel vs Fixed Keel

Walter,
I'm a "wing keel" fan and owner, and since I fall under the "cruiser"
category, I appreciate the practicality and convenience of the wing keel
over the upwind performance of the swing keel. In fact I'll wait for the
weather forecast to 'guarantee' a beam reach or the wing-and-wing run you
describe instead of a laborious beat to windward (it's laborious when it
exceeds 5 miles IMHO; a typical coastal cruising leg is 10 to 50 nm, and if
you have to tack upwind those numbers increase substantially - not enough
daylight to get where you want to go!).

Advantages of the wing keel:
1. No worries about mechanical problems, leaks, keel falling off, etc. Just
tighten the keel bolts every few months.
2. Safety out on the Great Lakes (relates directly to 1.).
3. It's trailer launchable if you have a good ramp (as opposed to fin keel).
4. Ease of operation while single-handing; nothing to winch up or down. 5.
Pleasure at deleting any and all list e-mails relating to issues of 1.
above.

BTW: From comments on this list I'd say that upwards of 95% of swing keel
owners winch their keels down just once per season unless they trailer;
you're an exception I think (raising SK on a run).

Beam winds to you!

Robert Bemben
Bliss Twp., Michigan
1991 C22 wing keel
Sail #15185
"Jib Dance"

>From: "Walter Musial" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] Swing Keel vs Fixed Keel
>Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:22:09 +0000
>
>Well I am an engineer, and I can see that point. but I am also a
>practicle
>preson, if this is true, why are boats with "traditional" full length keels
>so much sought after? Why manufacture shallow draft winged keels to
>counteract the lateral movement when beating? then the Australians never
>would have beat us for the cup. Opps I drifted a bit off course here. I
>have no doubt my sail handling and rig tuning can be improved but seeing
>Tanzers, Hunters, and other known fixed keels out pointing me, I guess it
>was just easier to point at the keel than my sailing skills.
>
>So forgive me when I ask in Racing circles I'll guess swing keels fair
>well
>among the fleet?
>
>And since my mind is floating to the opposite theme is a portion of
>Catalina owners that convert their craft from swingers to fin keels? Not
>something I'm considering just a curosity.
>
>Walter Musial
>Lindenhurst, NY
>Playmate swing keel 2332
>
>
>>From: [email-masked]
>>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] Swing Keel vs Fixed Keel
>>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:00:31 EDT
>>
>>
>>"I find that the weak link in sailing the swing keel is beating to
>>windward.
>>" Actually, the swing keel model is great for upwind work.  With  a draft
>>of
>>five feet and less than two feet of cord, that keel will pull  you up
>>better
>>than just about any fixed keel model.  Its like a B-24  wing.  The tricky
>>part
>>is using all your sail adjustments properly.
>>
>>Bayard Gross
>>CTYH9911M81B
>>BABY BLUE
>>
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7> http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
>>Greenwich, CT
>>
>>In a message dated 7/26/2007 1:38:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>>[email-masked] writes:
>>
>>Having  limited Catalina experience and for my location Swing keel is
>>the
>>way
>>to  go. but among the more "seasoned" Catalina sailors out there I'd like
>>to
>>know how do you compare the sailing mannors of a swing keel to a 
>>traditional
>>keel and wing keel Catalinas? I also have been told by the  previous owner
>>as
>>well as my own experience about a buzzing or humming,  I'm guessing this
>>comes the keels lifting cable vibrating when the boat is  making good
>>headway, I relate this almost to a cat purring on your lap  when they are
>>content. Is this a symptom of am issue to be addressed? been  experiencing
>>this for the last 21 years so I will suppose it isn't a  horrible problem.
>>
>>I find that the weak link in sailing the swing keel  is beating to
>>windward.
>>I find pinching and falling off oh so little the  most effective way to
>>windward, but I have no doubt others have advice to  the contrary, which
>>is
>>why I am asking. I also find downwind Keel up  wing-on-wing is glorious
>>way
>>to get around in the Great South Bay here in  Long Island.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new
>>AOL
>>at
>> <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour>
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
 <http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:20:11 EDT

I was going to ask when I needed to be down there.  Now I know.   I guess I 
better run to (hour drive and rush hour!).  See you soon Chip.  

Good Wind and  Be Safe,
John Graichen --
"Malacass"
Marblehead, MA
1986 Swing Keel  # 13315
CTYH 3315 K 586

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:50:47 EDT

Famous last words: "...so all is well."
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 7/27/2007 7:04:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I was hoping there were no problems, as I'm headed out  to the yard and "Chip 
Ahoy" to continue loading it and preparing for the  trailering over to 
Riverhead Beach and its ramp.  There we'll raise the  mast and I'll spend the 
remainder of the day (until the rain begins) rigging  and readying it for launching 
on the tide tomorrow, at about 11:00  am.
 
My mast-raising crew of buddies this morning will be  Wally Riddle 
(former-owner of "Carpe Diem"), Mike Sullivan (current-owner of  "Carpe Diem"), and John 
Graichen ("Malacass").  They'll be here at 10:00  am, so I've gotta run . . .
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel  "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  _www.chipford.com_ (http://www.chipford.com/)