Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [General] hummer

From: "Brian C. DeYoung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:36:31 -0400

Yep, I like the hum.  I only hear it when I am moving right a long, so to me
it is a sign that things are going well.

If I could move as fast or faster, and NOT hear the hum, that would be fine,
but when the cable is humming it is NOT a time to leave the boat un manned
and go into the cabin.

Brian   DeYoung

hummer

72 swing keel

"footloose"

Ithaca NewYork

  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Glenn Warner
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [General] 6-12 q. re Vibration humm keel cable

Brian, are you saying you like the hum?  My view is that the hum is annoying
and likely slows the boat.  It has also been suggested that the vibration
causing the hum is not good for the cable.  To get rid of the hum leave a
little slack in it when the keel is down.  One half a turn or so past full
down should do it.

Glenn Warner

Goblin#10369

JuJu#1222

Jacksonville Florida

On Jun 12, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Brian C. DeYoung wrote:

Okay, I was quiet for an overnight.

Re the hum, that I love.( and hmm. I HAVE lost a keel!!)

You say to LOOSEN the keel, in other words, let it out?

What if the keel is dropped all the way?

Is there added slack that can be released?

I usually drop my keel all the way, then give it a half crank back, to
tighten it. So, will it make a difference letting that last bit out?

My question may seem redundant, I just want to be sure I fully understand.

Brian   DeYoung

Spoiled man-child

Ithaca NewYork

'72 swing keel

"footloose"

June 12. 10 years ago today, the U.S. Treasury

unveiled the new  $50. dollar bill

 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [General] Vibration humm keel cable

In a message dated 6/10/2007 6:41:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

There has been some discussion, I can't comment from personal experience,
but the thought is out there that the humming vibration of the cable adds to
the fatiguing of the cable.  I believe my Catalina manual also suggests
loosening the cable so it won't hum.

The question of fatigue in the cable due to vibration is an interesting
point. Another question was raised the first time my crew and I had my boat
entered in a race. We were wondering if the humming cable was causing drag,
and if so would there be less drag if the cable was slack and not humming? I
seem the recall some comments long ago by Dick King on this very question.
Does anyone remember what his opinion was.

Russ Hauser

Tavares, FL

1982 Swing Keel

Serenity Now! #11337

CTYH1337M82L

  _____  

See what's free at  <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> AOL.com.

---

From: "Kingsbury's Cyclery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:40:37 -0400

Love the hum ... for a while, then I slacken the cable a bit more and make it stop.

On Monday I sailed my new-to-me Penguin dinghy and had to chuckle when I got 'er rippin' and she started to hum ! I guess more than the 22s like to hum when they're flying 

Paul Kingsbury
Elmira NY

Ragamuffin

Swee'Pea

Chubby

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Brian C. DeYoung 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:36 AM
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [General] hummer

  Yep, I like the hum.  I only hear it when I am moving right a long, so to me it is a sign that things are going well.

  If I could move as fast or faster, and NOT hear the hum, that would be fine, but when the cable is humming it is NOT a time to leave the boat un manned and go into the cabin.

  Brian   DeYoung

  hummer

  72 swing keel

  "footloose"

  Ithaca NewYork

    

  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Glenn Warner
  Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:30 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [General] 6-12 q. re Vibration humm keel cable

  Brian, are you saying you like the hum?  My view is that the hum is annoying and likely slows the boat.  It has also been suggested that the vibration causing the hum is not good for the cable.  To get rid of the hum leave a little slack in it when the keel is down.  One half a turn or so past full down should do it.

  Glenn Warner

  Goblin#10369

  JuJu#1222

  Jacksonville Florida

  I usually drop my keel all the way, then give it a half crank back, to tighten it. So, will it make a difference letting that last bit out?

  Brian   DeYoung

  Spoiled man-child

  Ithaca NewYork

  '72 swing keel

  "footloose"

   

  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
  Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:00 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [General] Vibration humm keel cable

  In a message dated 6/10/2007 6:41:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:

    There has been some discussion, I can't comment from personal experience, but the thought is out there that the humming vibration of the cable adds to the fatiguing of the cable.  I believe my Catalina manual also suggests loosening the cable so it won't hum.

  The question of fatigue in the cable due to vibration is an interesting point. Another question was raised the first time my crew and I had my boat entered in a race. We were wondering if the humming cable was causing drag, and if so would there be less drag if the cable was slack and not humming? I seem the recall some comments long ago by Dick King on this very question. Does anyone remember what his opinion was.

  Russ Hauser

  Tavares, FL

  1982 Swing Keel

  Serenity Now! #11337

  CTYH1337M82L

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  See what's free at AOL.com.