Subject: [Benton's Communications-related Headlines] July 11, 2007 (More on Spectrum policy)

From: Kevin Taglang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:10:25 -0500

BENTON'S COMMUNICATIONS-RELATED HEADLINES for WEDNESDAY JULY 11, 2007
There's a House hearing today on wireless innovation. For this and 
other upcoming media policy events, see 
http://www.benton.org/?q=event/2007/07/10/month/all/all

SPECTRUM/WIRELESS
	Muted Reaction To FCC Draft Auction Rules
	Reed Hundt's Spectrum Play
	SprintNextel drops needy customers

INTERNET/BROADBAND
	Telecom Time Warp
	
CABLE/TELECOM
	Verizon Tries To Save Face Re: Copper/FiOS Story
	IPTV Will Take Off, Says Study
	EC: no change to 'universal service' for now

BROADCASTING
	Senate to Debate Fairness Doctrine
	Brownback Tries to Restore FCC's Profanity Power

JOURNALISM
	Dow Jones Hears Alternative Proposals
	A different type of porn

QUICKLY -- Robert Chase leaving UCC communications post; European 
Telecoms Move To Sell Radio Towers; U.S. teenagers have little 
interest in news; Policy group says Google soft on piracy; Accuser 
Says Web Site Has X-Rated Link

SPECTRUM/WIRELESS

MUTED REACTION TO FCC DRAFT AUCTION RULES
[SOURCE: DowJones, AUTHOR: Corey Boles [email-masked]]
Draft Federal Communications Commission rules on a major auction of 
radio spectrum backed some proposals favored by Google. But potential 
bidders said Tuesday they need further details to determine the clear 
winners in the process. Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA), chairman of the 
House Telecommunications Subcommittee, said in a statement he 
welcomed the news that FCC Chairman Kevin Martin appeared to " 
recognize that the wireless marketplace is insufficiently competitive 
and innovative today due to current market structures and practice." 
Blair Levin, a telecoms analyst at Stifel Nicolaus, said that the 
news of Martin's draft rules still left unanswered whether they would 
be enough to encourage a potential new national player into the 
auction process. For public interest groups, which have largely been 
on Google's side in its bid to have the auction rules structured to 
encourage the participation of a third broadband competitor, Martin's 
draft rules don't go far enough. Gigi B. Sohn, president of Public 
Knowledge, said that without a third stipulation that the winner of 
the spectrum must offer access to their broadband network on a 
wholesale basis, the other two conditions would mean very little. She 
acknowledged that effectively Google and public interest groups were 
asking the FCC to "rig the auction" to facilitate a third national 
broadband competitor to the incumbents - AT&T, Verizon Communications 
Inc. and the cable companies. But she said without such action, the 
spectrum would be acquired by these incumbents and the "last best 
auction" would be a missed opportunity by the FCC.
http://money.cnn.com//news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200707101553DOWJONESDJONLINE000599_FORTUNE5.htm
* Statement by Chairman Markey
http://markey.house.gov/index.php?option=co
* Debate heats up over open access spectrum rules
http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070710/tc_infoworld/90094
* FCC Plays Games With Wireless Competition
http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/1080
m_content&task=view&id=2950&Itemid=141
* Skype Appeals to FCC to Keep Wireless Internet Open
http://digg.com/tech_news/Skype_Appeals_to_FCC_to_Keep_Wireless_Internet_Open
* Spectrum Sale May Open Market
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118411115421962670.html?mod=todays_us_page_one
* FCC wants open access to spectrum
http://www.latimes.com/business/printedition/la-fi-fcc11jul11,1,4975261.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-business

REED HUNDT'S SPECTRUM PLAY
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Editorial staff]
[Commentary]   The Federal Communications Commission has been ordered 
by Congress to auction off a large swath of valuable telecom spectrum 
licenses by the end of January. The only question is whether the 
auction will be open and fair, or tainted by rules that favor some 
potential bidders over others. It looks as if FCC Chairman Kevin 
Martin has opted for the latter. The agency hasn't formally released 
the rules, but yesterday USA Today quoted Mr. Martin as saying that 
"Whoever wins this spectrum has to provide . . . [a] truly open 
broadband network -- one that will open the door to a lot of 
innovative services for customers." In other words, Mr. Martin wants 
to saddle the winning bidder with "net neutrality" mandates. [W]e 
hope someone in the Bush Administration tells Mr. Martin that the 
FCC's obligation isn't to carve out spectrum for special interests, 
but to serve the larger public by selling spectrum to the highest bidder.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118411607574862804.html?mod=todays_us_opinion
(requires subscription)

SPRINTNEXTEL DROPS NEEDY CUSTOMERS
[SOURCE: Associated Press]
Sprint Nextel Corp. isn't apologizing for its decision to ax 
customers it determined were calling customer service too often. The 
nation's third-largest wireless provider sent letters to about 1,000 
subscribers June 29, saying the company's records showed they had 
made frequent calls for help with questions about billing and other 
account information. "While we have worked to resolve your issues and 
questions to the best of our ability, the number of inquiries you 
have made to us during this time had led us to determine that we are 
unable to meet your current wireless needs," the letters said. The 
customers were told their service agreements were being terminated, 
they wouldn't owe anything on their final bill, and the company would 
waive early termination fees. They also were told to switch to 
another wireless provider by July 30 if they want to keep their phone number.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-070710sprintnextel,0,734816.story?track=rss
* Sprint to Customers: Complaining Will Not Be Tolerated
http://www.consumersunion.org/blogs/hun/2007/07/sprint_to_customers_complainin.html

INTERNET/BROADBAND

TELECOM TIME WARP
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Robert Crandall and Hal Singer]
[Commentary] Calls for non-discrimination rules in telecom arise 
periodically from disadvantaged groups of rivals. In the late 1960s, 
the call for regulation came from equipment providers; in the early 
1980s, it came from long-distance providers. In the mid-1990s, it was 
local exchange carriers and Internet service providers. Today 
Internet telephone, or "VoIP," providers want help, but to obfuscate 
their role, they couch it in a deceptive, overused phrase: "network 
neutrality." Unfortunately, some lawmakers and regulators are 
seriously entertaining these pleas for greater regulation. The FCC is 
considering service rules for the upcoming 700 MHz-auction sponsored 
by Frontline, a firm headed by former FCC chairman Reed Hundt, which 
would impose, among other onerous requirements, a net neutrality 
requirement on the winning bidder. And today Rep. Edward Markey 
(D-MA), chairman of the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and 
the Internet, will hold a hearing on the subject of "wireless net 
neutrality." The lesson for future content providers -- particularly 
those now seeking network neutrality regulation -- is that they 
should develop content that network owners will perceive as being 
complementary to their offerings and therefore will add value for 
their broadband customers. Ignoring this advice will work only as 
long as the regulators are under the content providers' thumb. 
Eventually, either the FCC or the courts will realize that regulating 
competitive networks for the benefit of select content providers is 
not in the interest of American consumers.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118411797700062862.html?mod=todays_us_opinion
(requires subscription)

CABLE/TELECOM

VERIZON TRIES TO SAVE FACE RE: COPPER/FIOS STORY
[SOURCE: TelecomWeb]
In the wake of a damaging story regarding existing copper and its new 
FiOS network, Verizon is trying to explain its way out of what could 
turn out to be a PR nightmare. Verizon's Sharon Cohen-Hagar SAID, "We 
don't remove the copper network, as the article suggests -- only the 
few dozen yards of copper wire from the street to the home. Customers 
benefit because they don't need the copper cable, and it looks better 
to remove it. We remove this copper drop if runs overhead from a pole 
to the house. If it's buried, we leave the copper in place." And she 
says existing customers or new homeowners won't have any trouble 
changing back to copper if they find FiOS to be unsatisfactory: "If a 
customer asks, we'll leave the copper in place, and if a new resident 
wants or needs a copper-based service, we'll provide [the copper] 
without charge."
http://www.telecomweb.com/tnd/24115.html

IPTV WILL TAKE OFF, SAYS STUDY
[SOURCE: Broadcasting&Cable, AUTHOR: John Eggerton]
As cable companies continue to take a bite out of telcos' voice 
business, those companies will be returning the favor by ramping up 
their IPTV business in a big way. That's according to a new report 
from Tech support company iSupply Research, which says that the IPTV 
market will go from $779.2 million in 2006 to a projected $26.3 
billion by 2011, with revenues of more than a billion. That's a giant 
leap for IPTV, but still only a small step toward cable's dominant 
position in the mulitchannel video market. For example, the report 
points out, Comcast in 2005 had $26 billion in pro forma cable 
revenue. Isupply says it is unlikely that the entire IPTV market will 
be as big in 2011 as Comcast  alone.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6458770.html?rssid=193

COMMISSION: NO CHANGE TO 'UNIVERSAL SERVICE' FOR NOW
[SOURCE: DMeurope.com, AUTHOR: Ben Tanner]
The European Commission announced today that telcos across Europe 
have endorsed the Commission's view that there is at present no need 
to extend the 'universal service' safety net to mobile and high-speed 
Internet services. In the opinion of the Commission, telcos and other 
stakeholders, consumers have widespread affordable access to these 
services. The idea of a 'universal service' safeguards consumers' 
access to vital communications services. At present, according to the 
Commission, mobile and high-speed Internet services are best left to 
market forces. Competition is largely thriving and prices are 
affordable, so the Commission does not need to implement further 
regulation in these areas at this time.
http://www.dmeurope.com/default.asp?ArticleID=14808

BROADCASTING

SENATE TO DEBATE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE
[SOURCE: TVWeek, AUTHOR: Ira Teinowitz]
The U.S. Senate is about to get its turn to block the Federal 
Communications Commission from reviving the Fairness Doctrine, the 
policy requiring broadcasters to offer competing viewpoints in a 
balanced manner when presenting controversial issues. A week after 
Sens. Norm Coleman (R-MN), Jim DeMint (R-SC), John Thune (R-SD), and 
15 GOP co-sponsors proposed to enact a law mirroring a ban approved 
by the House, the senators hope instead to add the language to an 
Iraq war appropriations bill now on the Senate floor. A debate and 
vote on the Fairness Doctrine amendment could take place by week's 
end. The Senate today was locked in what could be a long debate on 
Iraq war-related amendments that could delay consideration of other 
amendments to the bill.
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2007/07/senate_to_debate_fairness_doct.php
(requires free registration)

BROWNBACK TRIES TO RESTORE FCC'S PROFANITY POWER
[SOURCE: Broadcasting&Cable, AUTHOR: John Eggerton]
Senator and presidential candidate Sam Brownback (R-Kansas) -- who 
helped get the FCC's indecency fines increased 10-fold -- wants to 
give the commission back the profanity enforcement power a federal 
court decision essentially took away, and add violence regulation to 
its resume. Sen Brownback, a member of the Senate Appropriations 
committee, said Tuesday that he will offer two amendments to a 
general government appropriations bill Thursday, July 12, one that 
would "continue support for the FCC to fine broadcasters who air 
indecent, profane, or obscene content," and another that would "fine 
broadcasters for airing excessively violent content during the hours 
when children are most likely to be in the audience."
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6458900.html?rssid=193
* Brownback to Push TV-Content Regulation
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6458975.html?rssid=196

JOURNALISM

DOW JONES HEARS ALTERNATIVE PROPOSALS
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Sarah Ellison [email-masked]]
As Dow Jones & Co. closes in on a deal to sell itself to News Corp., 
an unlikely pair of investors is making a last-ditch effort to create 
a competing offer. Internet entrepreneur Brad Greenspan and 
supermarket mogul Ron Burkle met with a committee of Dow Jones's 
board yesterday evening to present their proposals for the company, 
according to people familiar with the matter. The two men, who had 
been exploring independent plans for Dow Jones, agreed to team up for 
the meeting with the board committee, these people said. Details of 
the proposals aren't clear, although Mr. Burkle, who is acting in an 
advisory role, had been exploring a structure for Dow Jones, the 
publisher of The Wall Street Journal, that would incorporate an 
employee stock-ownership plan. Mr. Greenspan is leading an investor 
group and has said his proposal is evolving. He has been talking to 
such potential investors as satellite-television company EchoStar 
Communications Corp. and Intel Corp.'s investment arm. He is 
proposing a deal to purchase a portion of Dow Jones's stock at $60 a 
share, partially through a stock buyback, and then invest an 
additional $250 million in the company to expand its Web video capabilities.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118410792590962577.html?mod=todays_us_marketplace
(requires subscription)
* Burkle explores Dow Jones offer
http://www.latimes.com/business/printedition/la-fi-dowjones11jul11,1,179703.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-business

A DIFFERENT KIND OF PORN
[SOURCE: USAToday, AUTHOR: Robert Lipsyte]
[Commentary]  The Four F's -- Food, Fashion, Fitness and Finances -- 
masquerade as news, blotting out information we really need. Maybe 
it's a conspiracy and maybe it's a coincidence, but as F-Porn expands 
across the shelf, the information we need to know about the political 
process, the conduct of the war, the state of the environment, health 
care and education becomes harder and harder to find. Now, isn't that obscene?
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070711/opledewednesday.art.htm

QUICKLY

ROBERT CHASE LEAVING UCC COMMUNICATIONS POST
[SOURCE: United Church of Christ, AUTHOR: Bennett Guess]
The Rev. Robert Chase, the UCC's communication director, is leaving 
to become director of a New York-based justice organization. The 
consistory of Collegiate Church of New York has called Chase to be 
founding director of Intersections, a major global initiative that 
hopes to build a culture of justice and peace by creating 
opportunities for people and organizations to come together to share 
diverse viewpoints. Since 1999, Chase has served as team leader for 
the UCC's Proclamation, Identity and Communication Ministry Team, 
where he was one of the architects of the denomination's highly 
successful "God is still speaking" advertising and identity campaign. 
He also served as publisher of United Church News, with a circulation 
of more than 200,000, and directed the UCC's web ministry and 
award-winning video production department. Chase also served 
simultaneously as executive director of the UCC's Office of 
Communication, Inc. (OC, Inc.), the denomination's historic media 
advocacy organization, based in Washington, D.C., that seeks media 
access for all sectors of society, especially those who have been 
historically marginalized.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6458896.html?rssid=193

EUROPEAN TELECOMS MOVE TO SELL RADIO TOWERS
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Cassell Bryan-Low 
[email-masked] and Jason Singer [email-masked]]
Cellphone companies, as well as television and radio broadcasters, 
use patchworks of towers to transmit their signals. The towers 
typically are tall structures on which an antenna is located. In 
recent years, as telecom companies look for ways to cut costs in an 
increasingly competitive environment, some carriers are deciding that 
owning the towers isn't a core part of their business. Meanwhile, 
transmitting wireless signals has become an attractive business for 
investors such as infrastructure funds and private-equity firms. 
Investors are able to borrow heavily with the debt secured on the 
long-term contracts with mobile-phone companies, television and radio 
broadcasters that need their signals sent over the network of towers.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118409517885462360.html?mod=todays_us_marketplace
(requires subscription)

US TEENAGERS HAVE LITTLE INTEREST IN NEWS: STUDY
[SOURCE: Reuters, AUTHOR: Svea Herbst-Bayliss]
War and politics are largely ignored by American teenagers, according 
to a Harvard University study released on Tuesday, which found that 
60 percent of them pay little attention to daily news. 28 percent of 
Americans between the ages of 12 and 17 said they pay almost no 
attention to news every day. Another 32 percent said they pay only 
casual attention to one news source a day. Among people aged 18 to 
30, the poll found 48 percent said they are inattentive to daily 
news. Only 23 percent of older Americans said they largely ignore 
news. In general, soft stories about celebrities interest young 
people more than hard news stories like congressional votes or 
developments in Iraq. One reason teenagers may pay less attention to 
news than older Americans is only one in 20 young people rely heavily 
on a daily newspaper.
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1036737320070710

POLICY GROUP SAYS GOOGLE SOFT ON PIRACY
[SOURCE: Reuters, AUTHOR: Gregg Goldstein]
Hoping to see "Blood Diamond," "Spider-Man 3" or other full-length 
movies, TV series and concerts for free online? The National Legal 
and Policy Center on Tuesday released a list of the top 50 videos it 
found on the Google Video search engine, uploaded by Web users who 
might be guilty of copyright infringement.
http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2007-07-11T050914Z_01_N11278613_RTRIDST_0_FILM-PIRACY-DC.XML

ACCUSER SAYS WEB SITE HAS X-RATED LINK
[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Brad Stone]
Parents and child safety experts concerned about the online 
activities of teenagers have been particularly nervous about a Web 
site called Stickam, which allows its 600,000 registered users, age 
14 and older, to participate in unfiltered live video chats using 
their Web cameras. But those Internet safety advocates might be even 
more anxious if they knew of Stickam's close ties to a large online 
pornography business.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/technology/11video.html
(requires registration)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well, darn it... you're pitchers still don't know how to hit. Wait 
'til next year!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Communications-related Headlines is a free online news summary 
service provided by the Benton Foundation (www.benton.org). Posted 
Monday through Friday, this service provides updates on important 
industry developments, policy issues, and other related news events. 
While the summaries are factually accurate, their often informal tone 
does not always represent the tone of the original articles. 
Headlines are compiled by Kevin Taglang [email-masked] -- we 
welcome your comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------
(c)Benton Foundation 2007. Redistribution of this email publication 
-- both internally and externally -- is encouraged if it includes 
this message. For subscribe/unsubscribe info email: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Benton Foundation (www.benton.org) works to realize the social 
benefits made possible by the public interest use of communications. 
Bridging the worlds of philanthropy, public policy, and community 
action, Benton seeks to shape the emerging communications environment 
and to demonstrate the value of communications for solving social problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Free Press also collects media and media policy related headlines 
that complement well the work we are doing. Media Headlines is a 
free, daily news service by Free Press. It includes links to articles 
found on the Free Press News Center.  For more information or to sign 
up, visit http://www.freepress.net

Kevin Taglang
Editor, Communications-related Headlines
Benton Foundation
Communications in the Public Interest
1625 K Street, NW 11th Floor
Washington, DC 20006
headlines AT benton DOT org 

____________________________________________________________
You received this message as a subscriber on the list:
     [email-masked]

You are subscribed as: [% user.email %]

Please direct questions or comments about Headlines or your subscription to Kevin Taglang at
[email-masked]

To be removed from the list, send any message to:
     [email-masked]

For all list information and functions, see:
     http://lists.benton.org/lists/info/headlines