Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [OT] 4x4

From: "Pete Skalski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:49:49 -0500

Jim, Like you, I am also in Ohio, and recently dealt with a similar
problem. When I went to pull my boat out of the boathouse a couple of
weeks ago, my truck got stuck in the soft lawn. Rather than rip up my
lawn, I called for a tow truck and was winched up and onto my driveway
(somwhat of an incline about 50'). Unfortunately, AAA did not cover the
cost of my boat, but they did take care of the truck, which was attached
to the trailor. Always more than one way to skin a cat. Looking forward
to cleaning and getting ready to commission for the season by the end of
this month. Not sure where you sail, but if you are inclined to head out
to Buckeye Lake, that's where you'll find me. My slip is at Papa Boo's.
Take care,
PeteLiberty Pass82 11212

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Dennis, Jim"
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [OT] 4x4
  Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:44:16 -0400

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  1.  The hubs are auto-locking.  I did
not even know they made manual hubs any more.  Have not seen them since I
had a '70 CJ-5.2.  No, it is not AWD, I cannot drive it on dry pavement
in 4-wheel drive.3.  Unfortunately, I have some time constraints (can't
wait until July).  My boat looks neglected after three years of being
divorced and having lost access to my driveway.  A friend is going to let
me borrow his driveway, so I can do the bottom and get her all spiffy,
but I need to get it all done before early May... and with Ohio weather,
that really reduces my timeline. I will have to give it some thought on
who has another truck that could help. Thanks again,Jim

  --------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: [email-masked]
  [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Javier Gras
  Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 5:55 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [OT] 4x4

  Jim,Without knowing the exact 4wd system of a tundra I will assume
  that it has a transfer case that locks both front and back
  driveshafts when in 4wd, like most other 4x4's. But not a full/all
  4wd mode where the transfer case/center differential stays open for
  use in dry roads. With that in consideration, if you have one tire of
  each axle in slippery ground the open differentials are going to send
  all the power to those tires and you are not going anywhere. The
  limited slip differential does slow down the spinning tire to try to
  pass power to the other side but it probably just doesn't have enough
  limiting power if the terrain is too slippery. The same differential
  that allow the vehicle to turn without binding/chirping tires (where
  the inside tire has a lot less distance to travel than the outside),
  mean that if traction is not equal the one with less traction just
  spins (at twice the torque) and the one in solid ground does nothing.
  Solutions?, plenty. Try one or all.-Wait until ground hardens (July?)-Make
  sure trailer tires are not sunk into mud, put boards under.-Put
  boards under all tires, muddy boards are also very slippery.-Make a
  path with branches to improve traction, you decide where to get them.-Find
  a buddy with another truck and with a tow strap (~30') attach his to
  yours so that he can pull from dry ground.I don't like using chains
  as when they break or come loose they can do a lot of damage to
  equipment/people.Make sure to attach strap to solid points in the
  vehicles, the tundra should have tow hooks in front and then hook it
  to the hitch of the other vehicle, but not the hitch ball (not rated
  for all the weight plus force). If it has a square drop adapter
  remove it, pass the strap loop into the square and pin it with the
  hitch pin. Or use a shackle on the hitch ball hole. Better if truck
  has tow hooks. Make sure strap doesn't rub into anything that can cut
  it.Have him take up the slack and then both vehicles slowly move
  forward, give gas accordingly, if you spin your tires too much you
  will just dig down.Remember to have someone taking pictures ;->
  Hopefully I made some sense. I see that Ricky also had some good
  pointers. Good luck Javier#13125Dallas TX

    ----- Original Message ----- From: Dennis, JimTo:
    [email-masked]: Monday, April 09, 2007 1:38 PMSubject:
    [Catalina-22] [OT] 4x4

    My boat has been in a grass field all winter.  Last weekend, the
    ground was pretty soft, but I thought, I have 4-wheel drive, I
    can get it out!  Ha, ha, ha… turned the boat into a 3,000# plow. 

    Yesterday, I tried again.  We have had flurries most of the week,
    so I thought that the ground would be more cooperative.  Plus,
    this time I brought boards and a jack.  Still spun the back
    wheels on my 2003 Tundra (4x4 with limited slip differential). 
    At least I THINK it was both back wheels.  I know it was the
    driver's side, but I could not hear the passenger side, but the
    mud implied that it was spinning too.  BUT the front wheels did
    not move an inch. 

    So then I put the back wheels of the truck on boards too.  Then
    the right front wheel just spun in the mud, but the other three
    did not move.

    I know the 4-wheel drive works, since there is an obvious
    difference if I am just driving the truck in the mud in the grass
    with and without 4-wheel drive on.  BUT I thought that if you
    have 4-wheel drive that if one wheel spins, the other three are
    supposed to pull you along.  I tried it in 4-HI and 4-LO. 

    I know this group is a plethora of knowledge.  Any thoughts?  Am
    I completely out to lunch on how 4-wheel drive works?

    Thanks,
    Jim