Subject: CIO Insider: CIO John Halamka Tests Ubuntu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:30:00 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
August 1, 2007

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests Ubuntu

Halamka's month with Ubuntu concludes his formal operating 
system evaluations. What follows are the details of his 
experience running Ubuntu and his plans for his company's 
enterprise desktops and laptops moving forward. Will he 
finally replace Windows forever with OS X or Linux? 
You'll see... 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10302/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. The Rising Threat of Intellectual Property Theft and What You Can Do About It 
2. Complex IT Will Kill Your Business
3. My Keys to Career Success: Former Gillette CEO's Advice for Leaders
4. Rethinking Your Storage Infrastructure
5. Business Continuity: Be Prepared for a Bad Moment
6. Gates: I Hate it when Google Copies My Strategy
7. I Shot the Messenger!
8. NYC Taxi Cab Drivers Up in Arms Over Tracking Tech: "GPS is a BAD
Deal"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by HP

Attacking the Inhibitors to SOA Adoption

To build a solid foundation for your SOA roadmap, you need to 
understand how SOA governance, quality, and management address 
the obstacles that prevent wide SOA adoption.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/8465/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. The Rising Threat of Intellectual Property Theft and What You Can Do About It 

The same information systems that allow for information-
sharing by distributed business teams also leave 
organizations open to the threat of intellectual property 
theft. Here's an explanation of the threat and how to 
combat it.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10303/0/

2. Complex IT Will Kill Your Business

Your competitive edge is becoming dull under the weight 
of your business processes and the technology that 
underpins them. Here's some advice to help you sharpen up.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10242/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Sterling Commerce

Improve customer satisfaction with outstanding sales and fulfillment

June, 2007 - (Free research) For retailers, supply chain visibility is vital 
to the success of selling and fulfillment solutions, since they allow 
customers to purchase, track and return products anywhere. Read about how 
streamlining processes across the supply chain moves retailers from 
multi-channel to cross-channel to help meet customer-related challenges 
and achieve operational efficiency.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10304/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. My Keys to Career Success: Former Gillette CEO's Advice for Leaders

Improve your leadership IQ. Check out James Kilts's take 
on the factors that truly matter to a leader's success, 
plus his advice for IT executives on the rise. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10305/0/

4. Rethinking Your Storage Infrastructure

Smart IT leaders are using techniques like tiering and 
iSCSI to consolidate and simplify storage. They're saving 
money and creating efficiencies at the same time.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10306/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Oracle

The SMB Challenge: Sharpening Your Competitive Edge Through 
Smart Use of Technology

SMBs face a challenging competitive environment. Sandwiched between 
the resource-rich giants of the industry and the scrappy startups, 
they must be agile, able to deliver value to their customers, and 
capable of maximizing ROI at every step. 

Download the full white paper now.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/8924/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Business Continuity: Be Prepared for a Bad Moment

If you wait to plan for disaster, chances are you'll be 
too late.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10307/0/

6. Gates: I Hate it when Google Copies My Strategy

What irks Bill Gates, says Bernard Golden, is how Google is 
copying a page out of the Microsoft playbook: deliver a 
free product that complements your existing cash cow product 
in a way that harms your competitor -- whose business model 
demands that product be revenue generating. This time, 
however, the shoe is on the other foot. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10308/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Sun Microsystems

How to plan for Trading-Partner Integration Using Identity- 
Enabled Business to Business

The paper provides practical information and instruction on using 
identity-enabled B2B to build a trading-partner integration infrastructure, 
including guidance on planning projects and best practices for on-ramping 
trading partners on a large scale. It explains why identity-enabled B2B 
is the best foundation for building the partner integration infrastructure.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10309/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. I Shot the Messenger!

CIO Chris Moore relates his experience when he told an
employee frankly and firmly, "that I expected people to 
follow my direction, not challenge it." Oops. Don't you
hate those learning experiences?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10310/0/

8. NYC Taxi Cab Drivers Up in Arms Over Tracking Tech: "GPS is a BAD
Deal"

The city announced the plans to install the new equipment 
months ago and NYTWA has been against it from the get go, 
claiming the GPS devices would invade its members' privacy, 
cost too much to install and maintain, and that passengers 
would likely break them anyway.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10311/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. How to Spot a Failing Project
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10052/0/

2. Nine Things CIOs Wished You Knew About Their Jobs
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10053/0/

3. The Hiring Manager Interviews: Techniques for Sussing Out Candidates
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10054/0/

4. Five Tips for Getting the Vacation You Need
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10055/0/

5. Review: LifeSize Brings HD Videoconferencing to a Meeting Room Near You
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10056/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by SunGard

Business Continuity: 2007 Research Brief

IDG Research recently polled CIO and CSO magazine subscribers about 
business continuity. From the frequency of events to confidence in 
their organization’s disaster preparedness, your peers have weighed 
in with intriguing results. Download this research brief to find out 
how you stack up.  

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/10312/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1038059/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].