Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] Motion feels good!

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:23:27 -0400

Keith wrote:  "I am not sure if I am going to use the 3M 4200 to reinstall.
If it was that hard for you to get them off I will use silicone.  It's just
to stop the leaks not to hold the rails on."
 
One of the first projects (early 2003) I undertook on "Chip Ahoy" when I
first bought it was to remove all the teak trim, bring it inside where it
was warm, and begin refinishing it.  Most of it needed to be replaced:
either severly damaged or rotted beyond use.  I had to have a new step into
the companionway built along with the trim across the sliding hatch (the
hatch itself had split from the PO leaving the mast laying on it unsupported
for who knows how long and had to be
<http://chipford.com/graphics/050606_02.jpg> removed and repaired), and one
of the vertical trim pieces though which the cribboards slide.  At least the
damaged old pieces were intact enough to be used as templates.  The
handrails were functional though very worn.
 
This was before I began photographing my projects and the steps along the
way, before there was a Chip Ahoy website, before I recognized my
experiences could be helpful to others, so unfortunately most of the first
year's projects and details -- and there were a whole lot of them in 2003 --
weren't recorded for prosperity.
 
I sanded down the handrails, used teak cleaner, then reoiled them.  As
Bayard recommended, I'd marked them appropriately so I could reinstall them
to their original positions.  When it warmed up, I reinstalled everything
using 3M 4200, expecting that someday I might want to remove them -- like
now.  It's been only three years since I applied it, but still that 4200 was
like cement -- it did not want to let go:  the teak let go first.  I can't
imagine what 5200 would be like, trying to free something it sealed!
 
While cooking our Easter ham yesterday, I
<http://www.chipford.com/rope_clutches.htm> cut down the handrails by one
rung and sanded the new edges.  Once I get the base of the "bad" one planed
later today to make it even again, I'll just oil the exposed teak and the
rest of the handrails then reinstall.  When I reinstall them, I'm just going
to use a touch of 4200 around the screw holes.
 
I wish I had the time to refinish all my teak trim -- it's about ready for
it and the handrails are off already, sitting on my kitchen table.  But I've
already got too much on my plate in the days ahead before I can launch; I
don't need any more projects if I want to get in the water by June.  The
oiled teak trim is doing well enough; another coat of teak oil will get them
through another season.  Next year, the projects should be all done,
completed.  Next spring will be time enough to start all over again!  (As it
is, I've got to "start all over" installing a new VHF coax cable and and
antenna due to the lightening strike last year.)
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Keith G
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Motion feels good!

Chip
 
I just took my handrails off this weekend and although there were on pretty
tight just moving them side to side took them off. I spent all day using
this citrus varnish remover and a plastic putty knife to remove 30 years of
old varnish. It took me three applications and most of the day to get it
close to bare wood. I used odorless mineral sprits to take off all the old
gunk and then used teak cleaner to clean them up . They are drying now and I
will sand them tomorrow.  Once they are sanded I will cetol light them and
then start on the hatch door and door side rails..  I am not sure if I am
going to use the 3M 4200 to reinstall. If it was that hard for you to get
them off I will use silicone.  It's just to stop the leaks not to hold the
rails on .
 
Is it ever going to get warm again here ?

Keith Gattozzi
LorraineB
1977 Catalina 22
# CTYH673M77B
Cape Cod MA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Ford 
To: C22 LIST <mailto:[email-masked]>  
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 6:20 PM
Subject: [Catalina-22] Motion feels good!

O' I'm off to a great start.

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:15:21 -0500

Perhaps this explains why so many people have so much trouble!

I use a fair amount of 5200.  However, in nearly all cases I only use a small dab to seal up screw/bolt holes.   Perhaps many people slather the stuff all over every possible mating surface of deck hardware.  I don't do that except in very rare cases - like a through hull.   Hey... are we talking about using 3M stuff to secure deck hardware, or just to seal up the holes in the deck where mounting hardware is installed?

As I would much rather sail, than work on my boat (haha, many would say I NEVER work on my boat) I like to do each job one time and be done with it forever.    For example, I bonded the bolts for my mast step into the cabin top with epoxy.  I can guarantee, that technique will cause much less grief unless I want to remove it before those bolts have worked loose - and why would I ever want to remove the mast step unless the bolts got knocked loose by something like running the mast into a tree.  :-[

bob

Chip Ford wrote:

Keith wrote:  "I am not sure if I am going to use the 3M 4200 to reinstall. If it was that hard for you to get them off I will use silicone.  It's just to stop the leaks not to hold the rails on."

One of the first projects (early 2003) I undertook on "Chip Ahoy" when I first bought it was to remove all the teak trim, bring it inside where it was warm, and begin refinishing it.  Most of it needed to be replaced:  either severly damaged or rotted beyond use.  I had to have a new step into the companionway built along with the trim across the sliding hatch (the hatch itself had split from the PO leaving the mast laying on it unsupported for who knows how long and had to be removed and repaired), and one of the vertical trim pieces though which the cribboards slide.  At least the damaged old pieces were intact enough to be used as templates.  The handrails were functional though very worn.

This was before I began photographing my projects and the steps along the way, before there was a Chip Ahoy website, before I recognized my experiences could be helpful to others, so unfortunately most of the first year's projects and details -- and there were a whole lot of them in 2003 -- weren't recorded for prosperity.

I sanded down the handrails, used teak cleaner, then reoiled them.  As Bayard recommended, I'd marked them appropriately so I could reinstall them to their original positions.  When it warmed up, I reinstalled everything using 3M 4200, expecting that someday I might want to remove them -- like now.  It's been only three years since I applied it, but still that 4200 was like cement -- it did not want to let go:  the teak let go first.  I can't imagine what 5200 would be like, trying to free something it sealed!

While cooking our Easter ham yesterday, I cut down the handrails by one rung and sanded the new edges.  Once I get the base of the "bad" one planed later today to make it even again, I'll just oil the exposed teak and the rest of the handrails then reinstall.  When I reinstall them, I'm just going to use a touch of 4200 around the screw holes.

I wish I had the time to refinish all my teak trim -- it's about ready for it and the handrails are off already, sitting on my kitchen table.  But I've already got too much on my plate in the days ahead before I can launch; I don't need any more projects if I want to get in the water by June.  The oiled teak trim is doing well enough; another coat of teak oil will get them through another season.  Next year, the projects should be all done, completed.  Next spring will be time enough to start all over again!  (As it is, I've got to "start all over" installing a new VHF coax cable and and antenna due to the lightening strike last year.)

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Keith G
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Motion feels good!

Chip

I just took my handrails off this weekend and although there were on pretty tight just moving them side to side took them off. I spent all day using this citrus varnish remover and a plastic putty knife to remove 30 years of old varnish. It took me three applications and most of the day to get it close to bare wood. I used odorless mineral sprits to take off all the old gunk and then used teak cleaner to clean them up . They are drying now and I will sand them tomorrow.  Once they are sanded I will cetol light them and then start on the hatch door and door side rails..  I am not sure if I am going to use the 3M 4200 to reinstall. If it was that hard for you to get them off I will use silicone.  It's just to stop the leaks not to hold the rails on .