Subject: [Benton's Communications-related Headlines] Aug 15, 2007 (Spying, Broadcasting)

From: Kevin Taglang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:26:22 -0500

BENTON'S COMMUNICATIONS-RELATED HEADLINES for WEDNESDAY AUGUST 15, 2007
To view Benton's Headlines feed in your RSS Aggregator, paste 
http://www.benton.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/6/all/feed into your reader.

GOVERNMENT & COMMUNICATIONS
	U.S. to Expand Domestic Use Of Spy Satellites
	Sense on Secrecy

BROADCASTING/CABLE
	Chairman Martin Proposes Cable Carriage for New TV Broadcasters
	Broadcasters Spent Nearly $4.3M Lobbying in 2007
	
OWNERSHIP
	Growing Endangered List: Indie Nets
	Big Media Don't Reflect the Diversity of Chicago
	Zell remains committed to Tribune buyout, says Deep Throat
	Big media hunts for Web cred, again
	Trial dissects roles at newspaper

CONTENT
	Rockefeller Delays Floating TV Violence Bill
	CBS settles with fired shock jock Don Imus
	Report: Net neutrality could kill 'e-health' plans
	
ADVERTISING
	Internet Fuels Ad Economy, But TV Remains Biggest Factor

QUICKLY -- COAT Members Urge Action by Wireless Industry to Improve 
Disability Accessibility; Why Wi-Fi Networks Are Floundering; M2Z 
Networks Seeks Help from Courts; Still Vital, 'On the Road' Turns 50

GOVERNMENT & COMMUNICATIONS

US TO EXPAND DOMESTIC USE OF SPY SATELLITES
[SOURCE: Wall Street Journal, AUTHOR: Robert Block [email-masked]]
The U.S.'s top intelligence official has greatly expanded the range 
of federal and local authorities who can get access to information 
from the nation's vast network of spy satellites in the U.S. The 
decision, made three months ago by Director of National Intelligence 
Michael McConnell, places for the first time some of the U.S.'s most 
powerful intelligence-gathering tools at the disposal of domestic 
security officials. The move was authorized in a May 25 memo sent to 
Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff asking his department to 
facilitate access to the spy network on behalf of civilian agencies 
and law enforcement. Until now, only a handful of federal civilian 
agencies, such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration 
and the U.S. Geological Survey, have had access to the most basic 
spy-satellite imagery, and only for the purpose of scientific and 
environmental study.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118714764716998275.html?mod=todays_us_page_one
(requires subscription)

SENSE ON SECRECY
[SOURCE: Washington Post, AUTHOR: Editorial staff]
[Commentary]  The US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit is 
scheduled to hear arguments today on the Bush administration's 
attempt to halt two challenges to its warrantless surveillance 
program. Here's what legal scholars expect: The San Francisco-based 
court -- a favorite liberal punching bag for the Supreme Court -- 
will hand down an "anti-administration" decision that allows the 
cases to move forward. If that happens, government lawyers won't be 
able to run fast enough to urge the Supreme Court to overturn the 
ruling. A 9th Circuit ruling couched in soaring rhetoric that gives 
plaintiffs too much leeway and imposes too heavily on the 
administration's ability to protect legitimate secrets will surely 
trigger the interest, if not the ire, of some of the justices. At the 
same time, the administration's uncompromising approach on state 
secrets will continue to fuel the search for a practical way to limit 
the privilege.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081401588.html
(requires registration)

BROADCASTING/CABLE

CHAIRMAN MARTIN PROPOSES CABLE CARRIAGE FOR NEW TV BROADCASTERS
[SOURCE: DrewClark.com]
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin on Tuesday 
offered two proposals that he said would address concerns about 
objectionable content and add "access to new voices in the media." 
Chairman Martin repeated his proposal to require cable operators to 
sell television programming a la carte, or on a per-channel basis. 
The second suggestion, as with the first, would come at the expense 
of the cable industry. As television broadcasters transition to 
digital television, the ability to broadcast multiple channels of 
programming would "provide us an opportunity for others to lease some 
of that capacity," said Chairman Martin. "I have actually proposed 
that we specifically allow [minority and small-businesses] to lease 
some of that capacity," he said. "They would be treated just like 
full power stations," said Chairman Martin, meaning that they would 
have the obligation to provide public interest obligations, such as 
three hours of child-oriented programming in a week. "But they would 
also have the benefits of cable carriage," said Chairman Martin. That 
means that these new television stations would enjoy mandatory 
carriage on cable system even if their over-the-air signals were 
extremely limited in their power.
http://www.drewclark.com/2007/08/chairman-martin-proposes-cable-carriage.shtml

BROADCASTERS SPENT NEARLY $4.3 MILLION LOBBYING
[SOURCE: Associated Press]
The National Association of Broadcasters spent nearly $4.3 million in 
the first half of 2007 to lobby the federal government, according to 
a disclosure form. The trade group, which represents more than 1,000 
local television stations and roughly 7,000 radio stations, lobbied 
on radio ownership and royalties, a proposed satellite radio 
combination and use of unoccupied TV spectrum. In addition to 
Congress, the group lobbied the Federal Communications Commission and 
the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/14/ap4019894.html

OWNERSHIP

GROWING ENDANGERED LIST: INDIE NETS
[SOURCE: Multichannel News, AUTHOR: Linda Moss]
[Commentary] Independent networks are moving closer to extinction, 
part of the nation's continuing media ownership consolidation craze. 
It's far from a done deal yet, but Oxygen may be the latest indie to 
be gobbled up by a monster media conglomerate, with Gerry Laybourne 
reportedly in talks with NBC Universal about selling her sassy 
female-targeted brainchild. More than a year ago, Court TV was 
swallowed by Time Warner, put under the umbrella of its Turner 
Broadcasting System unit. There are still a few indies around. 
Hallmark Channel, headed by Schleiff, is one of them. But even it's 
been on the block. Independent networks have to try harder and 
officials at indie nets are often more open and vocal about what's 
really going on in the industry. It's in their self interest, because 
they're underdogs. And they don't have to worry about offending a 
suit sitting in a corner executive office in Manhattan or LA.
http://www.multichannel.com/blog/370000437.html#750013075

BIG MEDIA DON'T REFLECT THE DIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
[SOURCE: Stop Big Media]
Last month, the Media Management Center at Northwestern University 
published an in-depth study of Chicago's local TV news experience. 
While designed to help station managers build their audience, the 
report offers some important insight on how well the big five TV 
stations are serving the public. With the Sept. 20 FCC media 
ownership hearing swiftly approaching, the findings in this report 
are an important reminder of the ways Big Media leave local 
communities underserved and under-represented. A few of the findings 
include: 1) Less than half of every local news program is devoted to 
news stories. 2) More than one-third of all news stories are about 
crimes, fires and accidents, while political coverage accounts for 15 
percent. 3) For every non-white person who is heard in a story, there 
are three white people. 4) Women are outnumbered 2-to-1 in the news.
http://www.stopbigmedia.com/blog/?p=116
* The Local TV News Experience
http://www.mediamanagementcenter.org/blogs/mike/2007/07/newest-research-how-to-differentiate-tv.html

ZELL REMAINS COMMITTED TO TRIBUNE BUYOUT: SOURCE
[SOURCE: Reuters]
Chicago real estate tycoon Sam Zell remains committed to taking 
Tribune Co. private, a source close to the transaction said on 
Tuesday, as shares of the U.S. newspaper publisher and broadcaster 
fell because of concerns that the deal might not go through. Zell's 
perspective on Tribune "as an investment and as a company has not 
changed," said the source, who requested anonymity because the source 
was not authorized to leak for Zell.
http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSWEN042220070814
* Tribune Says Zell Deal Is Still On, Disputes Analyst
Tribune Co. said its $8.2 billion sale to a group led by billionaire 
Sam Zell is still on, disputing an analyst's report that said the 
odds of the deal closing as scheduled are no better than 50-50.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=apSNsuQp7X14

BIG MEDIA HUNTS FOR WEB CRED, AGAIN
[SOURCE: News.com, AUTHOR: Caroline McCarthy]
This summer has been an unusual hunting season for the start-up 
world, with nascent Internet companies firmly in the crosshairs of 
major media conglomerates. Sometimes, the motives behind the 
purchases are ambiguous, but one thing's clear--media companies are 
forking over amounts of cash in the tens of millions to hundreds of 
millions of dollars for Web start-ups that would seem more 
appropriate targets for a Yahoo or Google. The big media rush to buy 
into the Web brings a remarkable sense of deja vu--and skepticism. 
The common wisdom (based on more than a little evidence, like Time 
Warner's hugely disappointing acquisition of AOL), ever since the 
first wave of tech acquisitions in the dot-com boom of the late 
1990s, has been that big media doesn't know what to do with its 
pricey Web acquisitions. "It's a classic example of how the old media 
companies have been extremely slow to adapt to the new opportunities 
posed by (new) technologies. They are trying at a late date to 
acquire," said Alan Mutter, blogger, "Reflections of a Newsosaur"
http://news.com.com/Big+media+hunts+for+Web+cred%2C+again/2100-1030_3-6202570.html?tag=nefd.lede

TRIAL DISSECTS ROLES AT NEWSPAPER
[SOURCE:  Los Angeles Times, AUTHOR: James Rainey]
After a year of name calling, serial litigation and dozens of 
newsroom defections, American journalism's nastiest in-house squabble 
debuted in a courtroom in Santa Barbara (CA) Tuesday. Attorneys for 
eight fired journalists accused Santa Barbara News-Press owner Wendy 
McCaw of trying to quash a union organizing drive, while the 
publisher's lead lawyer argued that the employees overstepped their 
authority and tried to seize control of the newspaper. The case 
contrasts two approaches to journalism and raises questions about how 
much an owner or a publisher should be involved in determining what 
ends up in print.
http://www.latimes.com/business/printedition/la-fi-newspress15aug15,1,1475508.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-business
(requires registration)

CONTENT

ROCKEFELLER DELAYS FLOATING TV VIOLENCE BILL
[SOURCE: Technology Daily 8/6, AUTHOR: David Hatch]
Sen. John (Jay) Rockefeller (D-WV) has postponed introduction of 
television violence legislation for at least the third time this year 
-- with his spokesman now saying it will be offered after Congress' 
August recess. A spokesperson attributed the delays to the crush of 
legislative activity in recent weeks. "It's just time and scheduling. 
The routine legislative process," the spokesman said, adding that he 
did not know if there was a draft of the bill. Other sources were 
also uncertain, since no draft has apparently been floated among 
interested parties.
http://www.njtelecomupdate.com/2007/08/rockefeller_delays_floating_tv.html

CBS SETTLES WITH FIRED SHOCK JOCK DON IMUS
[SOURCE: Reuters, AUTHOR: Daniel Trotta]
The Drudge Report Web site reported that Don Imus will receive $20 
million from CBS for insulting the Rutgers women's basketball team. 
The settlement may allow Imus to   revitalized his career with rumors 
that both Sirius Satellite Radio and New York radio station WABC, 
which is owned by Citadel Broadcasting, may be interested in hiring 
him. Despite the negative publicity, Imus is capable of generating 
tens of millions of dollars in advertising revenue a year through 
high ratings, experts say. "If someone is in negotiations with him, 
they have done enough due diligence with their advertisers to know 
revenues will increase and advertisers will support it," said 
employment and entertainment lawyer Barry Peek, a partner in the law 
firm Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. "I would think it's going 
to be quick," Peek said of an Imus comeback. "For Imus, time is of 
the essence. Out of sight, out of mind."
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2007-08-14T215532Z_01_WEN0418_RTRUKOC_0_US-IMUS-CBS.xml&archived=False
* Imus, CBS Settle Lawsuits; Is New Show in the Wings?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081400541.html
* CBS and Imus Settle Differences Over His Firing
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/15/arts/television/15imus.html
* Rutgers player sues Imus
Hours after dethroned radio shock jock Don Imus settled his $120 
million breach-of-contract lawsuit with CBS Tuesday, he and CBS were 
sued by a Rutgers women's basketball team member who says his 
disparaging on-air comments ruined her reputation.
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20070815/d_lede15_imus.art.htm

REPORT: NET NEUTRALITY COULD KILL 'E-HEALTH' PLANS
[SOURCE: C-Net|News.com, AUTHOR: Anne Broache]
For years, we've been hearing about the need for a tech-savvier 
American health care system that could make paper health records, 
prescriptions, X-rays and even in-person checkups into relics. But 
all of that could be derailed unless U.S. policymakers reject calls 
for so-called Net neutrality regulations, a new report warns. That's 
the position of the U.S. Internet Industry Association (USIIA), a 
13-year-old trade association that represents "companies engaged in 
Internet commerce, content and connectivity." Verizon is the biggest 
name represented on its board of directors. "American consumers 
should not be forced to accept a 'one-size-fits-all' broadband 
service that places critical medical monitoring and health care on 
the same footing as music and video downloads or noncritical 
communications," says USIIA president David McClure in a report 
titled "e-Health and America's Broadband Networks" released Tuesday.
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759570-7.html
* e-Health and America's Broadband Networks
http://www.usiia.org/pubs/eHealth.pdf

ADVERTISING

INTERNET FUELS AD ECONOMY, BUT TV REMAINS BIGGEST FACTOR
[SOURCE: Media Daily News, AUTHOR: Joe Mandese]
According to the most recent installment of GroupM's periodic "This 
Year, Next Year" advertising and marketing expenditures tracking 
study. in the short run, the Internet is playing a bigger role in 
driving worldwide and U.S. advertising growth than GroupM economist 
Adam Smith thought in his last prediction. But the Internet's 
stimulus is expected to begin to flatten next year, as TV remains the 
biggest influence in the advertising marketplace. "Among the 
traditional media, TV remains far and away the main engine of 
advertising growth in the 20% of the 'developing' global advertising 
economy. We see its headline growth contribution has slipped a point 
or two in 2006 and 2007 since our last forecast. This is the result 
of Internet upgrades," writes GroupM's Smith in the new report. "TV 
comes back with a mini-bounce in 2008 with the well-known stimuli of 
the US presidential elections (a possible billion-dollar race this 
time); the Olympics (another potential billion on USA TV alone, so 
one could begin guessing the global uplift at double that, and triple 
to include other media)."
http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=65685&Nid=33241&p=368626

QUICKLY

COAT MEMBERS URGE ACTION BY WIRELESS INDUSTRY TO IMPROVE DISABILITY 
ACCESSIBILITY
[SOURCE: Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology press release]
Consumers with disabilities are taking their concerns about lack of 
accessibility of cell phones to the Federal Communications Commission 
(FCC) this month, with multiple complaints against numerous companies 
submitted by representatives of the Coalition of Organizations for 
Accessible Technology (COAT). "These complaints illustrate a market 
failure on the part of the cell phone industry to address 
accessibility," said Paul Schroeder, VP of the Programs and Policy 
Group at the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB), another COAT 
affiliate, which assisted over a dozen individuals in submitting 
complaints to the FCC recently. "While some companies have taken 
steps, consumers with vision loss have few good options for 
accessibility, and almost no reliable information about accessibility."
http://coataccess.civicspaceondemand.org/node/45

WHY WI-FI NETWORKS ARE FLOUNDERING
[SOURCE: BusinessWeek, AUTHOR: Olga Kharif]
The road is getting bumpier for cities and the companies they have 
partnered with in a bid to blanket their streets with high-speed 
Internet access at little or no cost to users. While 415 U.S. cities 
and counties are now building or planning to build municipal Wi-Fi 
networks, "deployments are slowing down slightly," says Esme Vos, 
founder of consultancy MuniWireless.com. Vos's tally still marks a 
nearly 70% jump from mid-2006, when there were 247 muni Wi-Fi 
projects on tap, but that's down from the torrid pace of a year 
earlier, when deployment plans doubled. Perhaps the clearest hint of 
trouble ahead is that some of the companies partnering with cities on 
these projects, including EarthLink and AT&T, are having second 
thoughts about remaining in the municipal Wi-Fi business.
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc20070814_929868.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech
* Community Wi-Fi comes to San Francisco
While EarthLink and Google are still hammering out details of their 
citywide Wi-Fi contract with San Francisco officials, a company 
called Meraki plans on blanketing the city with free Wi-Fi using 
volunteers who will deploy and manage the equipment themselves.
http://news.com.com/Community+Wi-Fi+comes+to+San+Francisco/2100-7351_3-6202624.html?tag=nefd.top

M2Z NETWORKS SEEKS HELP FROM COURTS
[SOURCE: M2Z Networks press release]
M2Z Networks informed the Federal Communications Commission that it 
plans to seek a Writ of Mandamus from the U.S. Court of Appeals for 
the D.C. Circuit. In seeking the Writ, M2Z will ask the D.C. Circuit 
to direct the FCC to come into immediate compliance with all parts of 
Section 7 of the Telecommunications Act by making a public interest 
determination on M2Z's license application, which has been pending 
for over 15 months. "We strongly believe that the FCC should fully 
and fairly review the detailed record associated with M2Z's license 
application and its forbearance petition and make a decision 
consistent with the law Congress enacted," said Uzoma Onyeije, Vice 
President of Regulatory Affairs for M2Z Networks. He added, "The 
statute is clear concerning both process and substance for Section 7 
decisions. As an independent agency accountable only to Congress, the 
FCC's highest priority is implementing the will of the legislature."
http://www.macroworldinvestor.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=266239671

STILL VITAL, 'ON THE ROAD' TURNS 50
[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Motoko Rich & Melena Ryzik]
The best-selling novels of 1957 included "Peyton Place" by Grace 
Metalious and "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. Both were cultural 
touchstones: "Peyton Place" as a precursor of the modern soap opera 
and "On the Road" as a clarion call for the Beat generation and, 
later, as an underground bible of the 1960s and '70s. Today "Peyton 
Place" is mostly regarded as a historical curiosity, but "On the 
Road," celebrating the 50th anniversary of its publication, still has 
a vibrant life on college English course syllabuses and high school 
summer reading lists, and in young travelers' backpacks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/15/books/15kero.html
(requires registration)
* See original NYTimes reviews:
http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/kerouac-millstein.pdf
http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/kerouac-dempsey.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------
Communications-related Headlines is a free online news summary 
service provided by the Benton Foundation (www.benton.org). Posted 
Monday through Friday, this service provides updates on important 
industry developments, policy issues, and other related news events. 
While the summaries are factually accurate, their often informal tone 
does not always represent the tone of the original articles. 
Headlines are compiled by Kevin Taglang [email-masked] -- we 
welcome your comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------
(c)Benton Foundation 2007. Redistribution of this email publication 
-- both internally and externally -- is encouraged if it includes 
this message. For subscribe/unsubscribe info email: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Benton Foundation (www.benton.org) works to realize the social 
benefits made possible by the public interest use of communications. 
Bridging the worlds of philanthropy, public policy, and community 
action, Benton seeks to shape the emerging communications environment 
and to demonstrate the value of communications for solving social problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Free Press also collects media and media policy related headlines 
that complement well the work we are doing. Media Headlines is a 
free, daily news service by Free Press. It includes links to articles 
found on the Free Press News Center.  For more information or to sign 
up, visit http://www.freepress.net

Kevin Taglang
Editor, Communications-related Headlines
Benton Foundation
Communications in the Public Interest
1625 K Street, NW 11th Floor
Washington, DC 20006
headlines AT benton DOT org 

____________________________________________________________
You received this message as a subscriber on the list:
     [email-masked]

You are subscribed as: [% user.email %]

Please direct questions or comments about Headlines or your subscription to Kevin Taglang at
[email-masked]

To be removed from the list, send any message to:
     [email-masked]

For all list information and functions, see:
     http://lists.benton.org/lists/info/headlines