Subject: [Catalina-22] [GEAR] - Hauser Mast Step Pin

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:55:34 -0400

Russ, your mast step pin arrived today; my check will be in the mail
tomorrow.
 
It's a beaut -- it should certainly solve the problem nicely!
 
Imagine getting excited over a single fastener?  But every year I take down
the mast on "Chip Ahoy" we strip the threads on the mast step bolt.  I
forgot about replacing it in time for launching the boat this year, spent
the morning running around unsuccessfully looking for a 5/16" x 3-1/2"
stainless bolt:  Plenty of 3" and 4" bolts available, but finding a 3-1/2"
one is like going on a treasure hunt.
 
I ended up coming home empty-handed; my launching crew had already arrived,
was waiting for me.  I wound up at the kitchen table filing down the threads
until the nut would screw on.
 
No more threads, no more nuts, no tools necessary!
 
To see Russ's photo of his mast step pin, click the following link:
http://www.chipford.com/graphics/hauser_mast_pin.jpg
 
I think this could be the beginning of a new cottage industry for Russ --
much as Joe Martinek began his unique mast gates enterprise, now marketed
solely through Catalina Direct.  If you want one, you'd better order it now
-- before the back-orders start!
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com