Subject: [Catalina-22] [Racing][Headsail]

From: "John Demby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:13:33 -0500

Hello List -

First thanks for all the great feedback on the C-22 Sport.  It looks like we
will close on #15620 (to be Named 'Three Sisters' in honor of my three
daughters and our former C-25 that hopefully will be sold this week).

As soon as we close on the boat, it is off to get it's VC-17 Offshore Bottom
paint and we will place our order for a set of Gus Sails.  Now here is my
question.  Since we are planning on getting involved with local club racing
and if we have some fun there attend some of the regional events in Texas I
was wondering about furlers.  In reading class rules it looks like you can
have both a 150 Genoa and a 110 Jib aboard but I was wondering if there is a
case where a furler can be used in lieu of the 110 Jib.

I know conventional wisdom is you are going to get your best sail shape from
a hank on, but since we will do some single handed cruising from time to
time I have been curious about furlers like the Harken MKIV that can have
the drum taken off and you are left with the twin groove foils for fast
loading and unloading of sails.  This seems to be the best of both worlds
where you can leave a Cruising 150% for most of the time and race day you
can pop off the drum and go back to traditional headsails for racing.

One final note - for those who race but do not use a furler - do any of you
use racing foil systems that are designed just for racing like either the
Harken or Schaefer systems?

Thanks as always!

John