Subject: CryoNet #29411 - #29413

From: CryoNet <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 09:00:03 -0000

CryoNet - Fri 13 Apr 2007

    #29411: Re:     29408 & 29410    Cryonics, Hot Seats and Electricity [John B. Krug]
    #29412: Re: Alcor & Patients in the Hot Seat, More So by Mark Winston... [David Stodolsky]
    #29413: Re: Alcor & Patients in the Hot Seat, Revisited [Keith Henson]

Rate This Digest: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29411%2D29413

Administrivia

To subscribe to CryoNet, send email to:
    [email-masked]
with the subject line (not message _body_):
    subscribe
To unsubscribe, use the subject line:
    unsubscribe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29411
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:06:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: "John B. Krug" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:     29408 & 29410    Cryonics, Hot Seats and Electricity

--0-71022365-1176383194=:8753

Hi:    Global warming is the latest trendy crisis for those who like to worry....If we're going green, I think it's best to be pro active in a reasonable, steady and measured way about such things....There's no such place to maintain those in suspension completely without risk. As the song goes, nobody promised us a rose garden...
           Taking care of the long view is better taken care of through preparation rather than panic....For the short term, I think cryonics providers such as Alcor and CI would do well to save on their respective electricity bills by investing in solar power systems at their facilities...Other green practices can be done as well as you please....I'm trying to help here...Best Regards!   ~JBK

Yes, you can turn me me on!  I'm on the radio! 
Surf City Sounds Plus:
http://www.Live365.com/stations/johns805?play
--0-71022365-1176383194=:8753

 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

[ AUTOMATICALLY SKIPPING HTML ENCODING! ] 

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29411

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29412
References: <[email-masked]>
From: David Stodolsky <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alcor & Patients in the Hot Seat, More So by Mark Winston...
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:49:40 +0200

On 12 Apr 2007, at 08:35, [email-masked] wrote:

>
> And what exactly is the cryonics facility to do, when the electricity
> supply goes off?  Apparently you think it will continue no matter  
> how hot
> it gets in Phoenix?  Maybe, maybe not.  Of course generators could be
> used, until there is no longer any place left open from which to  
> purchase
> the fossil fuels needed to run them.

There is no evidence whatsoever to support a statement of this type.  
Current high oil prices are a direct result of having and oil man in  
Whitehouse. Starting a war in a an oil supplying region is one way to  
drive up prices.

In the long term, new technologies will cut energy costs. These costs  
have been falling in real terms over human history. Solar power  
satellites will come on line around 2020, fusion around 2035.

If you want to promote higher energy prices, continue to spread the  
above nonsense.

dss

David Stodolsky  [email-masked]  Skype: davidstodolsky

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29412

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29413
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:25:11 -0400
From: Keith Henson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Alcor & Patients in the Hot Seat, Revisited

At 09:00 AM 4/12/2007 +0000, Mark Winston wrote:

>I might be assuming more about the thoughts of list members here than
>warranted, but perhaps the reason is because most people have grown
>numb to alarmist calls of environmental armageddon?

That's probably a factor.  Another factor is that people don't think there 
is anything that can be done about the problem.  Until recently I felt the 
same way, but *given* nanotube cables of only modest performance, I now 
think the energy and warming problems might have a solution.  (With enough 
really low cost energy you just don't care about warming, droughts, etc.)

  [email-masked] said:

snip

>And what exactly is the cryonics facility to do, when the electricity
>supply goes off?

If that happens on the hottest day in the summer in Phoenix, there will be 
really serious problems.  Like 20,000 people dying in one day.

>  Apparently you think it will continue no matter how hot
>it gets in Phoenix?  Maybe, maybe not.

The power stays on in even hotter places.  The max rise people talk about 
is 9 degrees.  On top of the current temperature, that's really awful, but 
not impossible to live with.  About equal to moving to Blythe, not as bad 
as several places in Saudi Arabia.

Two engineering realities.  When they were in Riverside, Alcor could see 
the difference in LN2 consumption between winter and summer.  It was about 
as predicted, rather small because the winter to summer ambient temperature 
difference was not very large compared to the difference between the 
average outside temperature and the temperature of LN2.  I.e., 273 deg C 
plus/minus 20 deg C subtract 77 deg (all in K).

Second, because we use air transportation to bring in patients, it is 
critical that the local airport not be closed for days due to snow or other 
weather problems.  That rules out a lot of places.

Keith Henson

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29413

----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of CryoNet Digest
*********************