Subject: CIO Insider: Open Source in Space Exploration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:38:54 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
May 24, 2007

CIO.com has a fresh new look - featuring the Advice & Opinion Online Community

  You count on CIO.com for insight into the latest 
  management and technology news. Now you can connect 
  with CIO staffers, noted experts and IT leaders 
  through Advice & Opinion. Ask questions, get answers 
  or simply share your unique skills and experiences
  with others.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/7327/0/

Open-Source Software and its Role in Space Exploration

A software developer from JPL explains the reasons that 
NASA has embraced free and open source software in its 
application development process. Because, in a Mars 
launch, the term "mission critical" has a literal meaning.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8276/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Log-In Manager Tokens Take on Password Overload
2. User Input Spurs Innovation
3. What's Wrong With Security?
4. Moving from Good to Great
5. Six Techniques at the Heart of IT Agility
6. ABCs of IT Governance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Luxoft 

Buyers of Technology Services from Around World to Gather in Russia

RUSSOFT Forum 2007 will provide a thorough understanding of sourcing 
options in Russia, focusing on maximized ROI with service providers 
in Eastern Europe.  June 20-22 in St. Petersburg, during magnificent 
White Nights season.  More info: 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8242/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Log-In Manager Tokens Take on Password Overload

Product Review: The U.S. Defense Department has deemed 
the Mandylion Labs' über password manager secure enough 
for use in its facilities, but it's not for everyone. 
We'll tell you why.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8277/0/

2. User Input Spurs Innovation

Employees are the richest resource CIOs have in the quest 
for innovation, says IBM CIO Brian Truskowski. The 
challenge is finding new ways to tap into the talent, 
imagination and skills of employees to create the 
innovations that matter to employees, CIOs and their 
company. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8278/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Arsenal Digital 

Data Protection for SMBs: Beyond Tape Backup
In this paper, you’ll learn how more and more SMBs are using on-demand 
data protection services as an affordable, workable solution to their 
growing backup, recovery and business continuity challenges, and how you 
can implement a company-wide data protection solution while minimizing 
capital expenditures.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8279/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. What's Wrong With Security?

Five experts share their ideas for fixing information 
security's most pressing problems. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8280/0/

4. What Moving from Good to Great Means for CIOs Who Want to Lead

Author Jim Collins explains why he sees CIOs as quiet 
leaders, and what challenges they face in their drive to 
be the best. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8281/0/

5. Six Techniques at the Heart of IT Agility

Your skill in using just six techniques in appropriate 
combinations to address different situations is the measure 
of your IT agility. Just as a game like basketball is composed
of a small group of core techniques such as dribbling, passing,
guarding and shooting, so too is the game of developing 
information systems.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8282/0/

6. ABC: An Introduction to IT Governance

Virtually every company can reap the benefits of solid 
IT governance—from regulatory compliance to financial 
and technological accountability, ensuring that companies 
stay on track to achieve their strategies and goals.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8283/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. Seven Things the CIO Should Know About Telecommuting
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8202/0/

2. The CIO Role: Total Leadership
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8203/0/

3. The Hiring Manager Interview: Q&A with Jeff Carlson
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8204/0/

4. Five Bad Habits to Lose on the Road to Success
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8205/0/

5. Browser Add-Ins for Business Users
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8206/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by eTalk 

Gain Customer Insight Across Your Business with Unstructured Data - 
FEATURING GARTNER RESEARCH
Read the latest publication from Autonomy etalk to learn how the Intelligent 
Contact Center enables organizations to capture, process, and share traditional 
structured data and unstructured data such as voice, text, email, and chat. 
Discover how you can create an Intelligent Contact Center and deliver true 
customer insight across your business.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/8284/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/845430/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].