Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] shroud storage for trailering

From: "Dick Reynolds" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:59:55 -0700

I start at the masthead, gather everything as  I go, and tie it to the mast 
every foot or so. When I get to the foredeck I kind of gather everything 
left into big loops and tie it. It looks kind of messy but it is only 80 
miles to the launch or back.
    Dick Reynolds
    swingers #342 and #4570
    Lebanon, Or.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jason Mercer" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:01 AM
Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] shroud storage for trailering

> I'm wondering what others do with their shrouds/stays when they prepare 
> their boats for trailering.  Particularly, does anyone have a good system 
> for neatly securing the stays so that you can still maneuver inside the 
> cockpit once the boat is on the trailer?
>
> Jason Mercer
> Durham, NC
> 1974 Swing Keel #3058
> "Lazy 7"
>

---

From: Tom Gwilym <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:32:42 -0700

This is what I do with my shrouds and stays for towing.  Just stand on 
the front, pull them back and coil them neatly so they don't kink. Then 
strap them to the mast.
http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/boatfixes/stay-front.jpg

Then for the back end, I do the same kind of thing for the fore/back 
stays.  It takes me just a few minutes now to coil them neatly up and 
hang them.
http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/boatfixes/stay-back.jpg

Just as a bonus photo, I redesigned the base of my a-frame mast stepper 
base.  This way seems to stay flat on the deck now that I allowed it a 
little more ability to rotate as it goes up.
Yes, my deck is ugly and chipped.  I'll ask about paint later!
http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/boatfixes/a-frame-base.jpg

Tom