Subject: Tell Congress: finish the job on minimum wage!

From: "Faithful America" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 18:35:35 GMT

Dear David:

Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who are
kind to the needy honor him. Proverbs 14:31 

Last February both the House and Senate passed minimum wage
bills that increased the wage in three steps to $7.25. Yet
today, more than three months later, the bill is stalled and
millions of minimum wage workers are still making $5.15 an
hour. 

Have our elected officials already forgotten their promises to
the poorest among us?

It is time to tell Congress to stop playing politics and finish
the job! The House and Senate were able to agree on a minimum
wage bill when including the federal minimum wage increase in
the recently vetoed Iraq supplemental spending bill. A minimum
wage raise deserves to move forward on its own merits. It is
time to send a stand-alone minimum wage bill to the President
for signing!

Even now, if the new minimum wage were passed into law today, a
full time minimum wage worker would still only be making $5.85
on July 9, 2007, $6.55 an hour on July 9, 2008 and finally
$7.25 an hour on July 9, 2009. 

Our friends at Let Justice Roll* are asking you to help lift the
voice of faithful persons in one of two ways:

1) Call your Representative and Senator today using this
toll-free Capitol phone number: 1-800-459-1887**

2) Take action using this email to send a letter to your elected
officials. Tell Congress to stop playing politics with the lives
of millions of minimum wage workers and their families. A
minimum wage raise deserves to move forward on its own merits.
Now is the time to send a STAND ALONE BILL to the President for
signing and finish the job!

With grateful hearts for all you do for others,

Vince Isner
FaithfulAmerica.org

*The Let Justice Roll Living Wage Campaign is a growing
partnership of more than ninety faith, community, labor and
business organizations working to raise the minimum wage at the
state and federal level.

** The toll-free number is provided courtesy of the American
Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization whose work for
social justice, peace, and humanitarian service includes
campaigns for a moral budget and a fair minimum wage
(http://ga3.org/ct/CpSlvE71tRH_/).

You can take action on this alert either via email (please see
directions below) or via the web at:
http://ga3.org/campaign/finishthejob/w3uiuxd4r36dtnx?

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
http://ga3.org/campaign/finishthejob/forward/w3uiuxd4r36dtnx?

We encourage you to take action by July 8, 2007

Finish the job on the minimum wage

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:
If you have access to a web browser, you can take action on this
alert by going to the following URL:

http://ga3.org/campaign/finishthejob/w3uiuxd4r36dtnx? 

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA EMAIL:
Just choose the "reply to sender" option on your email program.

Your letter will be addressed and sent to:
Your Congressperson 
Your Senators 

----THIS LETTER WILL BE SENT IN YOUR NAME----
Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

I am writing to you as a person of faith and conscience to urge
you to finish the job you began and pass a minimum wage bill
that will help lift millions out of poverty. This should not be
a political issue subject to deals and compromise, but is rather
a matter of doing what is right. 

Minimum wage was the foremost values issue of the 2006 election,
bringing people together across all lines. It is simply immoral
that workers who care for children, the ill and the elderly
struggle to care for their own families. A job should keep you
out of poverty, not keep you in it.

I ask that you please send a stand-alone bill to the President
for signing and finish the job you promised.

----END OF LETTER TO BE SENT----

Sincerely,
David Harris

--------------------------------------------------

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for
FaithfulAmerica at:

http://ga3.org/FaithfulAmerica/join.html?r=NpSlvE71oN5ME

--------------------------------------------------

This message was sent to [email-masked]. To modify your email
communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit
your subscription management page at:

http://ga3.org/FaithfulAmerica/smp.tcl?nkey=w3uiuxd4r36dtnx&

To stop ALL email from FaithfulAmerica, reply via email with
"remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line, or use the
following link:

http://ga3.org/FaithfulAmerica/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=w3uiuxd4r36dtnx&