Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 [gear] Instrument boom

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:10:59 -0400

This has been done by several people.  Go to the NSA site and look at the "links" section (catalina22.org).  There are links to a ton of web pages.  You will find a set up like you are talking about.  Also where some people used a special bottom hatch board (crib board) to mount stuff to.  Search and you will find .... grasshopper

Bill Bell
#13784 Phoenix
87 sk
FL
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, 16 May 2007 1:39 AM
Subject: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 [gear] Instrument boom

Last year I installed my Humminbird GPS on the starboard cockpit bulkhead where the old Signet Marine depth/speed meter used to be. I found however that this prevents comfortably leaning up against the bulkhead, which I consider one of the C22s best features.
So I would like to put in on a boom inside the cabin so that it can just swing out into the companionway during sailing and swing back inside when not in use.
Has anyone installed an instrument boom like this? What did you use? 
I've considered building something out of aluminum angle but I'd hate to come up with something twinky, fragile or wobbly, I'm not much of an engineer.
Thanks
Bob Moss
"Aerie", #13608
Spokane, WA
________________________________________________________________________
Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading spam and email virus protection.

---

From: Peter Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:35:10 -0400

Bob,

This is something I am considering, also.  My Admiral likes those  
back rests on our boat, too.  Here's one website that illustrates how  
this might be done:

http://slowflight.net/upgrades/ss/gps.html

I've seen others, but I can't find them right now.  What I'm  
considering is an aluminum piano hinge with a teak instrument board  
that swings out and might be held in place with a bungee or some kind  
of spring.  The problem is, as usual, I'd like to do too much with  
it.  I've heard that it's not a good idea to place anything  
electronic too near a compass - like a gps or a depth guage.  Also, a  
compass too near the keel can be affected by the metal mass, so down  
low in the companionway is not a good place for it.  So, I'm thinking  
of perhaps a mast mounted compass, and a swing out arm, up higher in  
the companionway, that has electronic instruments on it.

I, too, am curious what others have done.

Pete Snyder
Windabout - 1978 sk #8329
Lake Chickamauga, TN

On May 16, 2007, at 1:39 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

Last year I installed my Humminbird GPS on the starboard cockpit  
bulkhead where the old Signet Marine depth/speed meter used to be. I  
found however that this prevents comfortably leaning up against the  
bulkhead, which I consider one of the C22s best features.

So I would like to put in on a boom inside the cabin so that it can  
just swing out into the companionway during sailing and swing back  
inside when not in use.

I've considered building something out of aluminum angle but I'd hate  
to come up with something twinky, fragile or wobbly, I'm not much of  
an engineer.

Thanks

Bob Moss

"Aerie", #13608

Spokane, WA