Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 (tech) (snap-furl problems)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:02:29 EDT

An alternative method for passing under just slightly too low bridges is  the 
employ of water ballast that consists of a large sea cock open at the  
appropriate moment filling the vessel with good old H2O which will lower the  ship 
sufficiently to pass under the slightly too low bridge.  The slight  
disadvantage of this method is that a.) you need some brave sole to stand  by the sea 
cock to close it when sufficient ballast is obtained (don't try using  any 
Titanic survivors) and b.) some really energetic soles to bail the boat  out after 
the bridge is passed.  However, I cannot in consciousness  recommend this 
procedure as it has the potential for not only ruining your  current day's 
sailing, but that of subsequent days as well.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT
In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hi Bayard,
               Once I take the wrapper off my boat(I hope that it's soon), 
I'll look and see  if that retaining clip is in place on my Snap-Furl.  If it 
is, then I  will make some sort of "hold it still", or "keep it in place" tool 
that would  help expedite the connection of the furler to the bow stem fitting. 
  Maybe a modified vice grip type of tool to keep things in alignment is the  
answer.  Thank you for that idea!  Oh....I will be thinking of that  for a 
couple of days now!  The reason for wanting to expedite the  procedure, is not 
because I trailer a lot (the mast goes up once, and down  once during my 
sailing season), it's because of two bridges that stand in the  way of some really 
nice sailing.  Sure I could trailer the boat, but I'm  thinking it would be 
easier just to lower the mast a bit, and slide under the  bridge.  And besides, 
It would be so cool to do that!  Hands  clapping, and "way to go" would be 
heard from the bridge above, as the people  rush from one side to the other, 
reminisancent of childhood days when children  would toss a stick from a bridge 
into a creek below, then rush to the  other side to see it shoot from the shadows 
with such velocity, that the  biggest stick thrown, is now merely a distant 
twig.  Kids would be wide  eyed, picnicker's lounging about, would stand, arms 
folded,  watching.........sorry....just fantasizing.  In real life, the kids 
would  rush to the other side, only to see who could come the closest in 
hitting me  with their spit, picnicker's would give me the finger, the boat police 
would  be sure to give me some sort of citation, multiple car wrecks on the  
bridge(from the kids running to the other side to spit) would result in  
numerous lawsuits, and the highway department warning me about the hazards of  doing 
such a dumb ass thing.  Despite that...It still would be  cool!                
                                           
 Take care, Jay
 
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY
1989 Wing Keel  (CjAndeai)
CTYH5021E989

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

---

From: "Brian C. DeYoung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:37:32 -0400

Beer seems to work  better for this  experiment, and the bottles are easier
to empty. 

Brian  DeYoung

Profession Grade Bottle Contents Reduction Engineer

Ithaca NewYork

72 swing keel

63 swigger

" footloose"

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Thomas Holz
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 (tech) (snap-furl problems)

Bayard,

          If I brought on board many, many bottles of water, would that do
it?  I really would like to keep the inside dry! 

Good Humor, Good Day, Jay

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

----- Original Message ----- 

From: [email-masked] 

To: [email-masked] 

Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:02 AM

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 (tech) (snap-furl problems)

An alternative method for passing under just slightly too low bridges is the
employ of water ballast that consists of a large sea cock open at the
appropriate moment filling the vessel with good old H2O which will lower the
ship sufficiently to pass under the slightly too low bridge.  The slight
disadvantage of this method is that a.) you need some brave sole to stand by
the sea cock to close it when sufficient ballast is obtained (don't try
using any Titanic survivors) and b.) some really energetic soles to bail the
boat out after the bridge is passed.  However, I cannot in consciousness
recommend this procedure as it has the potential for not only ruining your
current day's sailing, but that of subsequent days as well.

Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE
http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

Hi Bayard,

              Once I take the wrapper off my boat(I hope that it's soon),
I'll look and see if that retaining clip is in place on my Snap-Furl.  If it
is, then I will make some sort of "hold it still", or "keep it in place"
tool that would help expedite the connection of the furler to the bow stem
fitting.  Maybe a modified vice grip type of tool to keep things in
alignment is the answer.  Thank you for that idea!  Oh....I will be thinking
of that for a couple of days now!  The reason for wanting to expedite the
procedure, is not because I trailer a lot (the mast goes up once, and down
once during my sailing season), it's because of two bridges that stand in
the way of some really nice sailing.  Sure I could trailer the boat, but I'm
thinking it would be easier just to lower the mast a bit, and slide under
the bridge.  And besides, It would be so cool to do that!  Hands clapping,
and "way to go" would be heard from the bridge above, as the people rush
from one side to the other, reminisancent of childhood days when children
would toss a stick from a bridge into a creek below, then rush to the other
side to see it shoot from the shadows with such velocity, that the biggest
stick thrown, is now merely a distant twig.  Kids would be wide eyed,
picnicker's lounging about, would stand, arms folded,
watching.........sorry....just fantasizing.  In real life, the kids would
rush to the other side, only to see who could come the closest in hitting me
with their spit, picnicker's would give me the finger, the boat police would
be sure to give me some sort of citation, multiple car wrecks on the
bridge(from the kids running to the other side to spit) would result in
numerous lawsuits, and the highway department warning me about the hazards
of doing such a dumb ass thing.  Despite that...It still would be cool!

Take care, Jay

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

 

  _____  

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:10:49 -0700 (PDT)

Also keep all of the beer bottles on either port or starboard as the increase in heel will lower the mast height.
   
  Glenn Hedmark
  12533 sk
  DiZire
  Wauconda, Il.

"Brian C. DeYoung" <[email-masked]> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                Beer seems to work  better for this  experiment, and the bottles are easier to empty. 
   
    Brian  DeYoung
   
  Ithaca NewYork
  72 swing keel
  63 swigger
  “ footloose”

      From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas Holz
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 (tech) (snap-furl problems)

    Bayard,

              If I brought on board many, many bottles of water, would that do it?  I really would like to keep the inside dry! 

    Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

      ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: [email-masked] 

      An alternative method for passing under just slightly too low bridges is the employ of water ballast that consists of a large sea cock open at the appropriate moment filling the vessel with good old H2O which will lower the ship sufficiently to pass under the slightly too low bridge.  The slight disadvantage of this method is that a.) you need some brave sole to stand by the sea cock to close it when sufficient ballast is obtained (don't try using any Titanic survivors) and b.) some really energetic soles to bail the boat out after the bridge is passed.  However, I cannot in consciousness recommend this procedure as it has the potential for not only ruining your current day's sailing, but that of subsequent days as well.

    Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE
http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

    In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:

      Hi Bayard,

                  Once I take the wrapper off my boat(I hope that it's soon), I'll look and see if that retaining clip is in place on my Snap-Furl.  If it is, then I will make some sort of "hold it still", or "keep it in place" tool that would help expedite the connection of the furler to the bow stem fitting.  Maybe a modified vice grip type of tool to keep things in alignment is the answer.  Thank you for that idea!  Oh....I will be thinking of that for a couple of days now!  The reason for wanting to expedite the procedure, is not because I trailer a lot (the mast goes up once, and down once during my sailing season), it's because of two bridges that stand in the way of some really nice sailing.  Sure I could trailer the boat, but I'm thinking it would be easier just to lower the mast a bit, and slide under the bridge.  And besides, It would be so cool to do that!  Hands clapping, and "way to go" would be heard from the bridge above, as the people rush from one side to
 the other, reminisancent of childhood days when children would toss a stick from a bridge into a creek below, then rush to the other side to see it shoot from the shadows with such velocity, that the biggest stick thrown, is now merely a distant twig.  Kids would be wide eyed, picnicker's lounging about, would stand, arms folded, watching.........sorry....just fantasizing.  In real life, the kids would rush to the other side, only to see who could come the closest in hitting me with their spit, picnicker's would give me the finger, the boat police would be sure to give me some sort of citation, multiple car wrecks on the bridge(from the kids running to the other side to spit) would result in numerous lawsuits, and the highway department warning me about the hazards of doing such a dumb ass thing.  Despite that...It still would be cool!                                                          

                                                                                                                     Take care, Jay

    Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

 

---------------------------------
  
  See what's free at AOL.com. 

Glenn Hedmark
  DiZire
  12533
  1984 sk
  Wauconda, Illinois