Subject: CIO Insider: The Big OS Questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:17:05 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
April 5, 2007

The Big OS Questions: Windows, Linux, and Mac

After a few years in which the flame under the operating 
system fire had turned down to a simmer, IT managers are 
once again finding it necessary to contemplate the choice 
of a "right" OS for the enterprise. In this set of 
articles, we discuss the steps necessary for a Vista 
migration, help you make the best decision for Linux 
distributions in businesses, and share plenty of opinions 
about the "right" OS choice.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6964/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. The ABCs of Web 2.0
2. IT in Entrepreneurial Companies: A Psychological Collision?
3. Creating Value from Intellectual Property
4. Oh Right, We Forgot that CIOs Are Unimaginative, As Well As Being Fat, 
Lazy and Reflexive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Microsoft 

Find out why CIOs say a reliable IT infrastructure equates 
directly to their success.

According to an IDG Research study, CIOs say that a reliable 
IT infrastructure equates directly to their success.  After all, 
downtime most assuredly results in big losses – from money to 
reputation.  Read this paper to find out why reliability metrics 
matter. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6822/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. The ABCs of Web 2.0

Web 2.0 is a set of technologies, a huge set of related 
functionality and almost a lifestyle choice. This straight-up,
non-techie tutorial will help you separate the facts from 
the hype.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6965/0/

2. IT in Entrepreneurial Companies: A Psychological Collision?

One difference -- and perhaps the only difference -- 
between an entrepreneurial company and others is is an 
affection (or addiction) to a dream. Says Eugene Nizker,
this kind of company is usually managed by a bunch of 
kids who never grew up and who are lucky to carry their
childhood over to their adulthood. And then they meet the
IT department.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6966/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by HP 

Remote Office Solutions with HP’s Consolidated Client 
Infrastructure

The drive for productivity is compelling organizations of 
all sizes to explore and utilize offshoring for important 
operational activities. Taking advantage of attractive skilled
labor costs in locations like India, China, and Eastern Europe, 
large portions of IT, contact center, and engineering activities 
are being performed outside traditional corporate boundaries. 
However, while offshoring can generate greater operational 
flexibility, market (e.g., customer privacy) and regulatory 
(e.g., Sarbannes-Oxley) forces are no less demanding that 
businesses exercise appropriate controls over business processes 
and data.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6750/0/ up/10/4986/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Creating Value from Intellectual Property

Last month, Abbie Lundberg moderated a panel on The New 
IP Economy at a meeting of the Executive Council of New 
York. The discussion covered the current state of IP; 
opportunities and risks; organizational implications, 
and where things are headed. Think this is relevant only
to lawyers? As companies increasingly compete on 
innovation, and as we continue to digitize everything, our
ability to understand, leverage and protect intellectual 
assets is core to the health of our organizations and our 
economy. (And besides, this is fascinating.)

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6967/0/

4. Oh Right, We Forgot that CIOs Are Unimaginative, As Well As Being Fat, 
Lazy and Reflexive

Chris Koch takes on two bloggers at once. (Would you expect
less of him?) He recently posted a response to Wired Editor 
Chris Anderson's cranky rant about how CIOs are business 
rejects who dismiss the potential of Web 2.0. And now Nick 
Carr, who specializes in dismissing IT altogether, has weighed 
in to say that my view is that CIOs are merely control freaks 
without an innovative bone in their bodies. As you might
imagine, Chris Koch has a different view.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6968/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. An Executive's Guide to Compensation and Termination
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6969/0/

2. How Green Data Centers Save Money
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6970/0/

3. The Rise of Service-Oriented IT
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6913/0/

4. How to Negotiate an Employment Contract
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6914/0/

5. Getting Ready for Windows Vista Deployment 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6971/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Proofpoint 

Win the Battle: Image-based Spam 

As spammers are evolving and becoming more aggressive, enterprises 
are seeing a huge increase in spam, especially image-based spam. 
In fact, image-based spam represents a whole collection of new 
tricks and challenges. In this webcast, Proofpoint product expert 
Rami Habal discusses the latest trends in image-based spam and 
the technologies available to combat it. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6973/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to stop getting CIO Insider,
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6886/0/

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences, 
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/2635/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6974/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/2636/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/736232/139199/6975/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007 All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].