Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:18:28 +0200

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:59:58PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
> It was inevitable that this discussion come sooner or later to hinge right
> on the point of free will.

How can you prove you've got free will, or not, empirically?
If I gave you a dump from /dev/random along with /dev/urandom, would
you be able to tell those apart?

What does it even mean in a process that is us, since the top-level
lags in realization of a made-up decision at a lower level.

Assuming you knew the universe is deterministic at sub-Planck
level, would it help you to make a killing on blue chips, or
even avoid that car speeding round the corner?
 
-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat