Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.

From: "Pete Skalski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:30:35 -0500

Bob,If you were a member of "Uncle Sam's canoe club," then  I suspect
you were in the Coast Guard. There is too much pride in the World's
FInest Navy to speak of it with denigration! Cheers,
Pete11212Liberty PassBuckeye Lake, OH

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Bob Wilson"
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard
  Tribulations, etc.
  Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:36:08 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I must admit to uttering a few of the phrases acquired during my "salty
sailor" days of being an active member of "Uncle Sam's Canoe Club", but
actually it was a pretty fun week.  I do fairly well in "crises
management mode" most of the time.  [IMAGE]Pensacola, Florida 1986
Catalina 22' Swing Keel #13524 Los Milagros Navy Yacht Club Pensacola,
Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P-------Original Message------- From: Thomas
HolzDate: 06/26/07 22:04:02To: [email-masked]: Re:
[Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc. Bob,
      Indeed a misadventure, but one that worked out well!  I'm amazed at
your level of patience  While all of this was going on, I get the
impression that you where calm, cool, and collected.  No bitching or
swearing Bob?  Good story Bob, and don't be a lurker.  It was a fun
read.  I'm ready for more! Jay Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY
1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
CTYH5021E989 ----- Original Message ----- From: Bob WilsonTo:
[email-masked]: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:41 PMSubject: Re:
[Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.
OK, I've put off posting about this because as I said in my last post, I
don't like to type as much as I like to read.      Our second attempt at
any overnight time on Los Milagros was in May when we attempted /
intended to crash the party of the 10th annual Northern Gulf Coast Cruise
initiated by Bob Endicott of Fleet 77 Ft. Walton Beach Yacht Club. ( as
an aside, I had the privilege of meeting Bob in January as he and Trish
were on the first 800 = miles of their Great Loop Cruise on a Tonic 23
and in port at Bayou Grande Pensacola for a couple of weeks... he turned
me on to the fleet 77 site etc.)\Anyway, after emailing the  cruise
captain and being told"the more the merrier", Gaby (the Admiral and a
retireed CTO1 USN disabled) and I left Bayou Grande Pensacola late the
evening of May 14th, we made it about 300 yards form the dock when the
8hp Yachtwin that cam on Los Milagros and always started on the second
pull and ran fine till then died!  I hoisted the main and we sailed back
to the "A" dock and slid aroun the corner into a friend's slip which I
knew to be vacant for awhile as he was in Key West on his Southern Cross
28' (which is now back and for sale if anyone is interested and has
around 35K to spare)  I had been reading here and elsewhere and suspected
fuel flow problems immediately so as soon as we were tied up I hurried up
to wally world (WallMart) and bought a new fuel line... failing to notice
that it said Yamaha replacement on the package.... This did not help. We
resigned to spend the night at the dock as we had made arrangements for
our first mate (my 6 year old recently finally adopted daughter to be
watched by my 28 yr young son and we headed off to find some dinner... We
were distracted by the gentleman on A dock space 1 and invited aboard his
beautiful Hunter 35.5 where we conversed for over an hour then made our
way off base to order Pizza and rent 3 movies form Blockbuster to take
back and view on Nav system (HP Laptop).    We had a pleasant if not as
planned night on the boat and  I got up the next morning to seek parts,
by this time I had decided the issue was at the block on the engine that
the fuel line connects to.  I found one that "looked about right" at a
Johnson dealer and went back to install it, after reading the
instructions and parts list I noticed a missing sealing washer and
screw.  After seeing the fuel leak profusely into the water I made
another trip to said dealer where they opened another parts bag and gave
me the aforementioned parts... back to the boat, motor would sorta start
but not run, Called a friend iin Tennessee ... he had had the same
symptoms on his 8 hp Yachtwin on his jon boat recently, fixed his by
rebuilding the "fuel pump"... I got some local #s from him and called
around, finally found a complete fuel pump at Harbor View Marine... $60 +
but OK... put it on, No luck still stuck.    It was now Wednesday, I
pulled the motor and took it in to Angler Marine Thursday morning (we are
still camping on the boat 'cause Gaby decided she was not going home
until her Pergala was complete and the house was immaculate... my #1 son
had been commissioned to not only watch Carli (the aforementioned 6 yr
old self proclaimed First Mate) but to put his construction skills to use
and fabricate a Pergala (arbor) in our front yard for Gaby for Mothers
Day.   Anyway, Wednesday evening we had picked up Carli and taken her to
the boat to camp with us and after my frustration with the motor I had
removed it and readied it to deliver to John at Angler Marine for
repair.  I wanted to sail!   This was a sail boat!  I decided to sail at
about dusk Wednesday evening.  Gaby had decided to sleep in the V berth
and Carli was OK with a sunset sail so... with NO MOTOR we sailed away
from the dock and then in the very narrow channel as I was attempting to
get us out to the bay I hear "Daddy... I need to go poo poo I attempted
to get the porta potti in a useable location with the tiller tied off but
wasn't quite quick enough to get back to the helm.  While she took care
of business I attempted to get us floating again.  NO LUCK AGAIN STUCK! 
now it is getting dark, Now Gaby is awake, I drop sails and get out a
paddle and attempt to get us moving again after raising the keel but we
are in a mess.  A fishing boat offers us a tow which I gratefully accept,
but they get ur anchor line wrapped around their main prop and we are
drifting to the rocks.   They pull us off with their trolling motor and
unfoul the main outboard prop and tow us back to our dock. Since this is
also my sons 28th birthday and we have Carli, while we are again camping
dockside, He goes out to play... my plan is to get up early and take
Carli to school then drop off the ailing motor at Angler Marine.... About
4 AM my cell rings and Joey is in jail,  He was pulled over and had a
suspended license allegedly to everyones surprise and could I come rescue
him?  No! not at 4 am!   I get up at daybreak and Carli and I go home,
while I am getting ready to take her to school I try to find out how to
get my son out of jail and he shows up.  He had called the som of a
friend of ours and been bailed out.  I take Carli to school and drop off
the yachtwin.   By 10:30 AM John calls, motor had a bit of trach in the
carb but was now running fine (on his fuel tank & hose .... this ia a
hint for the rest of the story). I pick up the motor and then pick up
Carli from school and we go back to put the boat back together.  I get
the motor back on and ... it won't run!    We keep camping dockside,
Friday morning I take Carli to school and proceed to help Joey pour
8000lbs of concrete for the patio of the Pergala, by 9:30 PM I'm ready to
head back to Gaby and camp, we have a race in the morning, still can't
get the motor to run!   I have borrowed a gas tank form a friend and pour
all the old / new gas from my tank in it, buy fresh fuel and try
again.... No Luck...Still Stuck!   We decide to sail out and try to make
the race, Commodores Cup compettition between local Yacht Clubs, 2 days
of races scheduled, we are sailing out the channel and another Catalina
22' with a 4 HP Tohautsau offers us a tow, we accept and get to the start
line and race.... didn't do well, but we did finish.   back to the dock
and Connie's husband David (who had loaned me the spare tank) and who's
son / step son had bailed my son out of jail deduces that my fuel flow
problem seems to be at the tank end.  It was sucking air at the tank
fitting!   Off to West Marine and Wallmart and AutoZone and back with
some hose clamps, a fuel filter, a new barb fitting to adapt from the
tank to the hose etc.   It starts, runs, and dies!   Sunday was the
second day of racing for Commodores Cup... Gaby was finally ready to go
home Saturday Night.   She wasn't ready to race again Sunday.   Connie
and I decided to try it without her.    On the way out the motor ran, but
I had to continually squeze the primer bulb to keep it running.    On the
last leg of the race we were way off course and then running downwind the
shackle that held the maiinsheet to the boom let go.   We doused sails
and motored home, DNF, pumping the primer bulb every 20 - 30 seconds to
keep motor lit. A week or 2 later I went back to the boat and rebuilt the
original fuel pump, cut the original line again and clamped it directly
to the pump and it has run fairly well ever since.   BUT, i can't have
the motor cover on this way as the fuel line directly connected prevents
this. Apparently my issue was an air leak at the tank end at the start of
this misadventure, and the rest was ? karma? We raced again since and
took 3rd (only 4 in class though) and now L M is in the driveway for som
TLC. And all the foregoing is why I prefer to lurk than share, but I hope
someone gets amused by it since my fingers are tired. [IMAGE]Pensacola,
Florida 1986 Catalina 22' Swing Keel Los Milagros Navy Yacht Club
Pensacola, Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P-------Original Message-------
From: Ken G. BrownDate: 06/21/07 15:05:37To: [email-masked]:
Re: [Catalina-22] Nissan Outboard Problem Followup Yay! I was watching
with great interest since I have a Nissan (Tohatsu) 6 HP too.   Ken Ken
G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764 - CTYH4764F888
- Sail# 103 >First of all, thanks to all that responded to my original
post about my Nissan 6 hp outboard motor problem.>>The problem was the
hand bulb in the fuel line from the gas tank. The check valve was not
sealing properly. This caused air to get into the fuel line. After
replacing the line and bulb, I had to get the air out of the fuel system.
The fuel filter is clear plastic and I could see bubbles in the fuel
filter. With the motor running and in gear, I squeezed the bulb real
tight and tapped on the fuel filter and line inside the motor housing
running to the carburator. After all the bubbles (air) were worked out,
the engine ran fine. I took it out on the lake and run it at various
speeds until I was happy that it was fixed.>>I'm very happy my motor is
fixed. I thought I was going to have to buy another one. This one is only
a little over 3 years old. Just out of warranty.>>Again, thanks to all
the replies. This is a great list.>>Randy Wahlfeldt>Roboboat>84 SK 12566>Clinton
Lake, Illinois>https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm --
Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE! << sg-0.gif >>
<< sg-01.gif >>
<< BackGrnd.jpg >>

-- 
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com!
Get a FREE E-mail Account Today - Choose From 100+ Domains

---

From: "Bob Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:46:34 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Yeah right,

    The only thing I saw that showed me much pride was the esprit de corps
evidenced by our passenger (the USMC).

    I had my moments of emotion, patriotism, etc. but for the most part, it
was a job.  Not one I intended or expected to like much, not one I expected
to keep fpr 20 years either, but I found did like it, and I was good at what
I did, and I would only change a lot if I had it to relive.

Bob Wilson PR1 (AW/SW) USN Retrired 

Pensacola, Florida

1986 Catalina 22' Swing Keel #13524

Los Milagros

Navy Yacht Club Pensacola, Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P

-------Original Message-------

From: Pete Skalski

Date: 06/27/07 07:39:57

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.

Bob,

If you were a member of "Uncle Sam's canoe club," then  I suspect you were
in the Coast Guard. There is too much pride in the World's FInest Navy to
speak of it with denigration!

Cheers,

Pete

11212

Liberty Pass

Buckeye Lake, OH

----- Original Message -----

From: "Bob Wilson" 

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.

I must admit to uttering a few of the phrases acquired during my "salty
sailor" days of being an active member of "Uncle Sam's Canoe Club", but
actually it was a pretty fun week.  I do fairly well in "crises management
mode" most of the time. 

Pensacola, Florida

1986 Catalina 22' Swing Keel #13524

Los Milagros

Navy Yacht Club Pensacola, Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P

-------Original Message-------

From: Thomas Holz

Date: 06/26/07 22:04:02

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.

Bob, 

      Indeed a misadventure, but one that worked out well!  I'm amazed at
your level of patience  While all of this was going on, I get the impression
that you where calm, cool, and collected.  No bitching or swearing Bob? 

       Good story Bob, and don't be a lurker.  It was a fun read.  I'm ready
for more!

                         Jay

Thomas Jay Holz

Amsterdam,NY

CTYH5021E989

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Bob Wilson 

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:41 PM

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Northern Gulf Cruise Outboard Tribulations, etc.

OK, I've put off posting about this because as I said in my last post, I don
t like to type as much as I like to read.  

    Our second attempt at any overnight time on Los Milagros was in May when
we attempted / intended to crash the party of the 10th annual Northern Gulf
Coast Cruise initiated by Bob Endicott of Fleet 77 Ft. Walton Beach Yacht
Club. ( as an aside, I had the privilege of meeting Bob in January as he and
Trish were on the first 800 = miles of their Great Loop Cruise on a Tonic 23
and in port at Bayou Grande Pensacola for a couple of weeks... he turned me
on to the fleet 77 site etc.)\

Anyway, after emailing the  cruise captain and being told"the more the
merrier", Gaby (the Admiral and a retireed CTO1 USN disabled) and I left
Bayou Grande Pensacola late the evening of May 14th, we made it about 300
yards form the dock when the 8hp Yachtwin that cam on Los Milagros and
always started on the second pull and ran fine till then died!  I hoisted
the main and we sailed back to the "A" dock and slid aroun the corner into a
friend's slip which I knew to be vacant for awhile as he was in Key West on
his Southern Cross 28' (which is now back and for sale if anyone is
interested and has around 35K to spare)  I had been reading here and
elsewhere and suspected fuel flow problems immediately so as soon as we were
tied up I hurried up to wally world (WallMart) and bought a new fuel line...
failing to notice that it said Yamaha replacement on the package.... This
did not help.

    We resigned to spend the night at the dock as we had made arrangements
for our first mate (my 6 year old recently finally adopted daughter to be
watched by my 28 yr young son and we headed off to find some dinner... We
were distracted by the gentleman on A dock space 1 and invited aboard his
beautiful Hunter 35.5 where we conversed for over an hour then made our way
off base to order Pizza and rent 3 movies form Blockbuster to take back and
view on Nav system (HP Laptop).    We had a pleasant if not as planned night
on the boat and  I got up the next morning to seek parts, by this time I had
decided the issue was at the block on the engine that the fuel line connects
to.  I found one that "looked about right" at a Johnson dealer and went back
to install it, after reading the instructions and parts list I noticed a
missing sealing washer and screw.  After seeing the fuel leak profusely into
the water I made another trip to said dealer where they opened another parts
bag and gave me the aforementioned parts... back to the boat, motor would
sorta start but not run, Called a friend iin Tennessee ... he had had the
same symptoms on his 8 hp Yachtwin on his jon boat recently, fixed his by
rebuilding the "fuel pump"... I got some local #s from him and called around
 finally found a complete fuel pump at Harbor View Marine... $60 + but OK...
put it on, No luck still stuck.    It was now Wednesday, I pulled the motor
and took it in to Angler Marine Thursday morning (we are still camping on
the boat 'cause Gaby decided she was not going home until her Pergala was
complete and the house was immaculate... my #1 son had been commissioned to
not only watch Carli (the aforementioned 6 yr old self proclaimed First
Mate) but to put his construction skills to use and fabricate a Pergala
(arbor) in our front yard for Gaby for Mothers Day. 

 Anyway, Wednesday evening we had picked up Carli and taken her to the boat
to camp with us and after my frustration with the motor I had removed it and
readied it to deliver to John at Angler Marine for repair.  I wanted to
sail!   This was a sail boat!  I decided to sail at about dusk Wednesday
evening.  Gaby had decided to sleep in the V berth and Carli was OK with a
sunset sail so... with NO MOTOR we sailed away from the dock and then in the
very narrow channel as I was attempting to get us out to the bay I hear 
Daddy... I need to go poo poo 

I attempted to get the porta potti in a useable location with the tiller
tied off but wasn't quite quick enough to get back to the helm.  While she
took care of business I attempted to get us floating again.  NO LUCK AGAIN
STUCK!  now it is getting dark, Now Gaby is awake, I drop sails and get out
a paddle and attempt to get us moving again after raising the keel but we
are in a mess.  A fishing boat offers us a tow which I gratefully accept,
but they get ur anchor line wrapped around their main prop and we are
drifting to the rocks.   They pull us off with their trolling motor and
unfoul the main outboard prop and tow us back to our dock.

Since this is also my sons 28th birthday and we have Carli, while we are
again camping dockside, He goes out to play... my plan is to get up early
and take Carli to school then drop off the ailing motor at Angler Marine..
About 4 AM my cell rings and Joey is in jail,  He was pulled over and had a
suspended license allegedly to everyones surprise and could I come rescue
him?  No! not at 4 am!   I get up at daybreak and Carli and I go home, while
I am getting ready to take her to school I try to find out how to get my son
out of jail and he shows up.  He had called the som of a friend of ours and
been bailed out.  I take Carli to school and drop off the yachtwin.   By
10:30 AM John calls, motor had a bit of trach in the carb but was now
running fine (on his fuel tank & hose .... this ia a hint for the rest of
the story).

I pick up the motor and then pick up Carli from school and we go back to put
the boat back together.  I get the motor back on and ... it won't run!    We
keep camping dockside, Friday morning I take Carli to school and proceed to
help Joey pour 8000lbs of concrete for the patio of the Pergala, by 9:30 PM
I'm ready to head back to Gaby and camp, we have a race in the morning,
still can't get the motor to run!   I have borrowed a gas tank form a friend
and pour all the old / new gas from my tank in it, buy fresh fuel and try
again.... No Luck...Still Stuck!   We decide to sail out and try to make the
race, Commodores Cup compettition between local Yacht Clubs, 2 days of races
scheduled, we are sailing out the channel and another Catalina 22' with a 4
HP Tohautsau offers us a tow, we accept and get to the start line and race..
. didn't do well, but we did finish.   back to the dock and Connie's husband
David (who had loaned me the spare tank) and who's son / step son had bailed
my son out of jail deduces that my fuel flow problem seems to be at the tank
end.  It was sucking air at the tank fitting!   Off to West Marine and
Wallmart and AutoZone and back with some hose clamps, a fuel filter, a new
barb fitting to adapt from the tank to the hose etc.   It starts, runs, and
dies!   Sunday was the second day of racing for Commodores Cup... Gaby was
finally ready to go home Saturday Night.   She wasn't ready to race again
Sunday.   Connie and I decided to try it without her.    On the way out the
motor ran, but I had to continually squeze the primer bulb to keep it
running.    On the last leg of the race we were way off course and then
running downwind the shackle that held the maiinsheet to the boom let go.  
We doused sails and motored home, DNF, pumping the primer bulb every 20 - 30
seconds to keep motor lit.

A week or 2 later I went back to the boat and rebuilt the original fuel pump
 cut the original line again and clamped it directly to the pump and it has
run fairly well ever since.   BUT, i can't have the motor cover on this way
as the fuel line directly connected prevents this.

Apparently my issue was an air leak at the tank end at the start of this
misadventure, and the rest was ? karma? 

We raced again since and took 3rd (only 4 in class though) and now L M is in
the driveway for som TLC.

And all the foregoing is why I prefer to lurk than share, but I hope someone
gets amused by it since my fingers are tired.

Pensacola, Florida

1986 Catalina 22' Swing Keel

Los Milagros

Navy Yacht Club Pensacola, Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P

-------Original Message-------

From: Ken G. Brown

Date: 06/21/07 15:05:37

Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Nissan Outboard Problem Followup

Yay! I was watching with great interest since I have a Nissan (Tohatsu) 6 HP
too.

  Ken

Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada

1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764 - CTYH4764F888 - Sail# 103

>First of all, thanks to all that responded to my original post about my
Nissan 6 hp outboard motor problem.

>The problem was the hand bulb in the fuel line from the gas tank. The check
valve was not sealing properly. This caused air to get into the fuel line.
After replacing the line and bulb, I had to get the air out of the fuel
system. The fuel filter is clear plastic and I could see bubbles in the fuel
filter. With the motor running and in gear, I squeezed the bulb real tight
and tapped on the fuel filter and line inside the motor housing running to
the carburator. After all the bubbles (air) were worked out, the engine ran
fine. I took it out on the lake and run it at various speeds until I was
happy that it was fixed.

>I'm very happy my motor is fixed. I thought I was going to have to buy
another one. This one is only a little over 3 years old. Just out of
warranty.

>Again, thanks to all the replies. This is a great list.

>Randy Wahlfeldt

>Roboboat

>84 SK 12566

>Clinton Lake, Illinois

>https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm

--

 << sg-0.gif >>

<< sg-01.gif >>

<< BackGrnd.jpg >>

-- 

We've Got Your Name at Mail.com