Subject: CIO Enterprise: Finding the Right Talent in a Hot Market

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:30:00 -0400

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
July 25, 2007

Covering ERP, CRM, KM, SCM and security 
in the pages of CIO magazine and CIO.com

Finding the Right Talent in a Hot Market       

You're in a seller's market for IT talent. And your old recruiting 
methods aren't going to cut it if you want to woo the top quartile 
of IT professionals today. But, there are some large, but largely 
ignored, sources of talent (millennials, shadow IT, your vendor's staff) 
just ripe for the picking if you're willing to adjust your methods.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10059/0/

Also in this issue:
1. Seven Quick Tips for Videoconferencing Beginners   
2. CERN's Search for God (Particles) Drives Massive Storage Needs  
3. Viewsonic Monitor with Webcam—Not Ready for Its Close-Up
4. Seven Ways Technology Vendors Blow the Sales Pitch 
5. Apple iPhone Successfully Hacked 
6. Can This Project Be Saved?    
7. Combating Animal Cruelty With GPS and SaaS 
8. Effective Communication is a Sticky Subject  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by SunGard

Business Continuity: 2007 Research Brief

IDG Research recently polled CIO and CSO magazine subscribers about 
business continuity. From the frequency of events to confidence in 
their organization’s disaster preparedness, your peers have weighed 
in with intriguing results. Download this research brief to find out 
how you stack up.  

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10060/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Seven Quick Tips for Videoconferencing Beginners      

New to videoconferencing? Researching an enterprise deployment? 
Make sure you addressed these seven issues before you sign a vendor 
contract or start up a video project.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10061/0/

2. CERN's Search for God (Particles) Drives Massive Storage Needs    

Think your storage headache's big? Try being the guy in charge of 
storing 1GB of data per second every day for a month, for one of the 
biggest physics experiments of our time. One key to success: A SAN 
with a clustered file system.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10062/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Egenera

Virtualization Drives Verifiable, Flexible Business Continuity 
and Disaster Resiliency Solutions

System outages can have a devastating impact on your business, making 
Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR) absolutely crucial.  
Now, virtualization brings simplicity and affordability to this daunting 
challenge.  Join this webinar to find out how. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/8983/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Viewsonic Monitor with Webcam—Not Ready for Its Close-Up    

Viewsonic's affordable VX2255wmb monitor sports built-in webcam, 
microphone and speakers, suitable for telecommuters and remote workers 
who are ready to crank up instant messaging with video. Our hands-on 
conclusion: The monitor looks great. The webcam chats? Not so much.   
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10063/0/

4. Seven Ways Technology Vendors Blow the Sales Pitch  

Every decision-maker is the target of a salesperson with a monthly 
quota and a PowerPoint presentation. But most of those pitches fail. 
IT leaders share the mistakes salespeople make when trying to get 
their business.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10064/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Microsoft

Enabling the Infoworker:  How Thought Leaders from Avaya 
and Microsoft Envision Unified Communications 

The growing number of communications options is actually negatively 
impacting interactions.  But unified communications is poised to turn 
that all around.  Join thought leaders from Avaya, Microsoft and IDC 
as we explore its potential impact on your business. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10065/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Apple iPhone Successfully Hacked 

A team of security experts in Baltimore, Md., said it has found a 
flaw in Apple's iPhone handset that can be used by attackers to access 
private data stored on it.   
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10066/0/

6. Can This Project Be Saved?    

You've identified that your IT project is in trouble. What are 
the best ways to save the situation?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10067/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by HP

IT’s Role in Health and Life Sciences

IT plays a critical role in how the health and life sciences industry 
captures, manages and gains insights from data. This case study reveals 
how Partners HealthCare, the Harvard Medical School-Partners HealthCare 
Center for Genetics and Genomics, and HP have developed a collaborative 
IT model to improve patient care and advance research.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10068/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Combating Animal Cruelty With GPS and SaaS   

Mobile command centers, global positioning systems, handhelds and 
software as a service aid the animal protection agency's efforts to 
rescue and protect neglected and at-risk animals.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10069/0/

8. Effective Communication is a Sticky Subject  

Managers need to give their messages impact, so that subordinates 
understand the intention and urgency. Learn from the popular business 
book, "Made to Stick", how to craft a message that packs a punch and gets your colleagues 
and staff to act with energy and passion. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10070/0/ 

Hot Picks

1. How to Spot a Failing Project
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10071/0/

2. Nine Things CIOs Wished You Knew About Their Jobs
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10072/0/

3. The Hiring Manager Interviews: Techniques for Sussing Out Candidates
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10073/0/

4. Five Tips for Getting the Vacation You Need
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10074/0/

5. Review: LifeSize Brings HD Videoconferencing to a Meeting Room Near You
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10075/0/

Katherine Walsh
Associate Staff Writer
CXO Media

Is this newsletter informative and useful? Check out our
other newsletters for up-to-date information on topics
such as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/2656/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by PC Guardian

Laptop Security Best Practices

One third of data breaches are a result of computer loss or theft. 
Implementation of an effective laptop security policy is essential 
in minimizing an organization's exposure. This paper discusses the 
regulatory environment and management challenges around laptop security, 
and provides a detailed best practices checklist of the latest mobile 
computer security policies. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/10076/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Enterprise because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

For editing newsletter preferences/unsubscribing:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/6886/0/

For subscribing to newsletters:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/2659/0/

The CIO privacy policy:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012297/649768/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked]. **