Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log

From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:33:11 +0000

Jay,

That's how day sails end - rather quickly. No catastrophes to report this 
trip!

I neglected to answer one of your questions about how much water was in the 
bilge after the day sail. I'd say there was 1 cup of water at the keel bolts 
and another cup in the locker under the starboard settee in the cabin (water 
flows under the teak side board and into this "low spot" on port tacks). 
Probably all 'topside water'.

Late yesterday afternoon I took care of a few things at the boat then sat in 
the cockpit and admired the view from the spit for a while - it looked like 
perfect weather for a sail out to Mackinaw Island - a steady 14 knot wind 
(or whatever speed the wind just starts to whistle in rigging) out of the SE 
and 1-2 ft. waves would have made iit an easy reach out and back. But we 
don't always get to pick our days. There will be more day sails before the 
season is over.

Good luck catching up on your reading.

Robert Bemben
Bliss Twp., Michigan
1991 C22 wing keel
Sail #15185
"Jib Dance"

>From: "Thomas Holz" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log
>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:36:25 -0400
>
>Robert,
>           I hope that I didn't miss out reading anymore of your story.  On 
>my end, your story stopped at,"All in all a fun sail, pushing the envelope 
>a bit and learning from it !"
>            It's been a very weird day, and now, the weirdism continues.  I 
>don't smoke the dube, and I haven't had a hit of acid since high school in 
>the seventies, I drink milk, and eat bananas, so I know my levels are good, 
>so I know it's not me! I'll be up ALL NIGHT reading all 9,678 posts, and 
>filling in the blanks, of things I might of have missed out on!
>
>  This is" The Chip Ford Site"......right!!!!                Enjoy another 
>day of sailing soon, Jay
>
>
>Thomas Jay Holz
>Amsterdam,NY
>1989 WING KEEL (CjAndeai)
>CTYH5021E989
>www.cjandeai.blogspot.com
>
>
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:17 PM
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log
>
>
>>Bob,
>>
>>Yep, that's it. I think the keel is ok. No external cracking or bending 
>>(just a few dents on the lead wings), and at least 90% of the bilge water 
>>is accounted for now. This winter I might go ahead and reinforce area 
>>around the keel bolts in the bilge with glass sheeting and epoxy just for 
>>more peace of mind.
>>
>>
>>Robert Bemben
>>Bliss Twp., Michigan
>>1991 C22 wing keel
>>Sail #15185
>>"Jib Dance"
>>
>>>From: "Bob Wilson" <[email-masked]>
>>>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>>To: <[email-masked]>
>>>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log
>>>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:38:35 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
>>>
>>>  I think he thinks it's OK from this at the bottom of his message
>>>"
>>>BTW: Before heading out I located the source of bilge water I originally
>>>thought was due to a damaged wing keel. Found a 5-gal. jug of water 
>>>mangled
>>>in the V-berth compartment. Apparently it leaked 2 gal. or so of water 
>>>and
>>>probably washed some fiberglass from around the through-hull transducer 
>>>down
>>>to the keel bolts."
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Pensacola, Florida
>>>
>>>1986 Catalina 22' Swing Keel #13524
>>>
>>>Los Milagros
>>>
>>>Navy Yacht Club Pensacola, Bayou Grande Marina, N A S P
>>>-------Original Message-------
>>>
>>>From: Thomas Holz
>>>Date: 08/21/07 15:54:26
>>>To: [email-masked]
>>>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log
>>>
>>>Robert,
>>>            Another good read! Do you think that your keel is OK?  I know
>>>that you took on a little water from the spray, but I was wondering if 
>>>you
>>>felt that you took more water in than usual, and if you felt that your 
>>>keel
>>>was sound, and not leaking due to the run in with boulders on a previous
>>>sail?  Just curious, Jay
>>>
>>>
>>>Thomas Jay Holz
>>>Amsterdam,NY
>>>1989 WING KEEL (CjAndeai)
>>>CTYH5021E989
>>>www.cjandeai.blogspot.com
>>>----- Original Message -----
>>>From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
>>>To: <[email-masked]>
>>>Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:36 AM
>>>Subject: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log
>>>
>>>
>>> > Mackinaw City -> 8nm and return
>>> > Monday, August 20, 2007
>>> >
>>> > Inspired by John Graichen, and recalling another "Small Craft Warning"
>>>day
>>> > sail and a "Water Spout Warning" day sail I had done last year out of
>>> > Mackinaw, I drove out to Mackinaw City with the intent of testing the
>>> > waters for a couple of hours.
>>> >
>>> > Upon arriving at Jib Dance it was clear that this was no ordinary
>>>sailing
>>> > day. Flags across Mackinaw City were stretched from the offshore ESE
>>>wind,
>>> > the "fudgies" (tourists) were hanging on to their hats, and Lake Huron
>>>was
>>> > full of whitecaps. It took me an hour to get Jib Dance ready and work 
>>> > up
>>> > my nerve for this sail!
>>> >
>>> > First, I reefed the mainsail to the 2nd reef points ("to the 
>>>numbers").
>>> > After my rough weather experiences last year, when I had my sails
>>> > reconditioned this past winter I had "Sailcare" put these extra 2
>>>grommets
>>> > and ties in - also had them put in a flattening reef grommet. BTW: I
>>> > didn't use any "jiffy reef" system here with lightweight line and jam
>>> > cleat that could slip. I lashed the sail to the boom at the reef
>>>grommets,
>>> > fore and aft, with some strong line.
>>> >
>>> > Then I pointed the trailer into the wind and unfurled and lowered the
>>>150
>>> > genoa, replacing it with the 110 jib. As John Graichen pointed out, he
>>> > didn't like the belly in the 150 genoa when partially furled. Mine is
>>>the
>>> > same way - grabs way too much air. The 110 is much flatter. Then > 
>>>there's
>>> > the possibility that the 150 could accidentally unfurl all the way and
>>> > fill. Anyways, I felt much better having the 110 up. I didn't install
>>>the
>>> > tether system, although I should have. I figured I'd be just 2-1/2 > 
>>>miles
>>> > from shore at any given time, and the water is about 70 F. In 
>>>hindsight
>>> > though, I would have liked more protection when I went up to the mast 
>>> > to
>>> > pull the mailsail down while motoring back in and taking 4 ft. waves
>>> > broadside on my marina approach.
>>> >
>>> > After working up my nerve and convincing myself this would be fun, I
>>> > trailered Jib Dance from Shepler's boat yard a 100 yards down the main
>>> > street (mast up!) to the municipal marina launch next door and > 
>>>launched.
>>> > All the while looking for any newly installed overhead electrical > 
>>>lines.
>>> >
>>> > After launching, the first task was to turn the boat around at the 
>>>dock
>>>to
>>> > point into the wind. This was no easy task with a 25 knot wind trying 
>>> > to
>>> > push Jib Dance back up the ramp. Two young boater ladies ran down to > 
>>>the
>>> > launch dock and helped me out - all three of us pushed Jib Dance > 
>>>astern,
>>> > into the wind and swung the boat around to the other side of the ramp
>>> > dock. Then I raised the mainsail (I had already raised it once at
>>> > Shepler's to test the reefing), started the OB, and they shoved me 
>>>off.
>>> > Another guy was helping at this point, and he told the girls "Sailors
>>>like
>>> > this stuff". He had just motored from Mackinaw Island and said it was
>>>just
>>> > plain nasty out there, and he would be spending the day at dock. Just 
>>> > 10
>>> > minutes before I had seen a Gemini sailing cat floundering out there > 
>>>and
>>> > limping to Shepler's dock. Last Friday, while working on Jib Dance > 
>>>under
>>> > even windier conditions, I had seen a 30+ foot sailboat desperately
>>> > sailing up and down the shoreline with jib flailing - then being towed
>>> > into the marina by an inflatable dinghy! It had lost engine power.
>>> >
>>> > Just before motoring out of the marina and into some 4 ft. cross waves
>>> > that were pounding the rocks off to port, I revved the 9.9 Johnson
>>> > Sailmaster and trimmed the mainsail gingerly (don't want to heel too
>>>much
>>> > and swamp the OB). Jib Dance handled this part just fine, and pretty
>>>soon
>>> > we were sailing. Soon I found out that conditions were at their worst
>>> > right near shore, since the wind and waves had a clear run from the > 
>>>open
>>> > lake, undisturbed by the islands. BTW: I raised the mainsail at dock > 
>>>for
>>>2
>>> > reasons: (1) it would be difficult to raise it out in the weather 
>>>while
>>> > singlehanding; (2) I wanted it to help power me through the waves when
>>> > exiting the marina - safety in redundancy.
>>> >
>>> > As I got out a mile or so, the waves and wind moderated slightly (3 
>>>ft.
>>> > confused chop & 20 knot winds gusting more). It seems to me the > 
>>>confused
>>> > chop is due to the 6 ferry boats running every 15 minutes back and > 
>>>forth
>>> > to Mackinaw Island from Mackinaw City and St. Ignace. These wakes
>>>combine
>>> > with the 3+ ft. wind waves, and you get an interesting mix. > 
>>>Fortunately,
>>> > they weren't the sort of waves that cause the boat to "bellysmack" in
>>>the
>>> > troughs. Instead I took on lots of spray over the cabin top, and Jib
>>>Dance
>>> > got a thorough wash-down, rinsing away any Canadian spiders that were
>>> > still clinging to the hull. A couple cups of water ended up in the > 
>>>cabin
>>>-
>>> > it entered through the gap in the sliding hatch. Lifting the outboard
>>>out
>>> > of the water while sailing was interesting; it seemed every time I 
>>>went
>>> > down to do this a big wave would roll under and the wind would pick 
>>>up.
>>>I
>>> > finally got it up after 3 or 4 attempts. In hindsight, it might have
>>>been
>>> > better to tack, so that the OB would be on the windward side.
>>> >
>>> > The combination of "reefed to the numbers" mainsail and 110 jib > 
>>>unfurled
>>> > about 80% balanced the rig nicely. I was able to keep the mainsail
>>>filled
>>> > much of the time while gripping the mainsheet and luffing the sail in
>>>the
>>> > gusts. I cross-winched the jib, making it much easier to trim without
>>> > having to fool around with a winch handle in these conditions. One
>>> > steering trick is to let the waves do some of the steering work. If I
>>> > needed to correct to leeward I could sometimes just wait for the next
>>>wave
>>> > crest to push the nose to leeward. The fewer the steering corrections
>>>the
>>> > better.
>>> >
>>> > My speed was good throughout this day sail: 5.2 to 6.8 knots (surfing
>>>down
>>> > waves). I was sailing about 75 degrees to the true wind (short reach),
>>>and
>>> > the only time I lost speed was when tacking. It would have been
>>>difficult
>>> > to bring the boat to close-hauled before tacking - bad angle to the
>>> > waves - , so I tacked from short reach to short reach. I tacked 5 > 
>>>times,
>>> > saiing 1-2 miles with each tack. On my retrun approach I furled the 
>>>jib
>>> > and reluctantly lowered the mainsail (would have been a nuisance 
>>>inside
>>> > the marina with aft wind), and motored into the big waves. Every so
>>>often
>>> > I would cringe as the OB propeller exited the water and whined on some
>>>of
>>> > the wave crests (inboard motor would be better in these conditions), > 
>>>but
>>> > the OB didn't quit, and I made it to dock just fine.
>>> >
>>> > All in all a fun sail, pushing the envelope a bit and learning from 
>>>it!
>>> >
>>> > _________________________________________________________________
>>> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's > 
>>>FREE!
>>> > http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>><< sg-0.gif >>
>>><< BackGrnd.jpg >>
>>
>>_________________________________________________________________
>>Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
>>http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>>
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

---

From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:53:21 +0000

Jay,

It was actually in a follow-up e-mail.
Get yourself together, man!

BTW: What did you think about Jim Kuertz's comments on C22 vs. C25?
I'd like to sail a C25 sometime and see.

Robert Bemben
Bliss Twp., Michigan
1991 C22 wing keel
Sail #15185
"Jib Dance"

>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:48:14 -0400
>
>Thanks Bob,
>                 That part never showed up in my 
>E-Mail!...Christ,.....Maybe that's why I'm only sailing half as good as I 
>could!!!!!
>
>Thomas Jay Holz
>Amsterdam,NY
>www.cjandeai.blogspot.com    Jay
>   From: Bob Wilson
>   Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:38 PM
>         thought was due to a damaged wing keel. Found a 5-gal. jug of 
>water mangled
>         in the V-berth compartment. Apparently it leaked 2 gal. or so of 
>water and
>         probably washed some fiberglass from around the through-hull 
>transducer down
>         to the keel bolts."
>
>
>
>         Pensacola, Florida
>
>         that you took on a little water from the spray, but I was 
>wondering if you
>         felt that you took more water in than usual, and if you felt that 
>your keel
>         > Inspired by John Graichen, and recalling another "Small Craft 
>Warning" day
>         > Upon arriving at Jib Dance it was clear that this was no 
>ordinary sailing
>         > day. Flags across Mackinaw City were stretched from the offshore 
>ESE wind,
>         > the "fudgies" (tourists) were hanging on to their hats, and Lake 
>Huron was
>         > full of whitecaps. It took me an hour to get Jib Dance ready and 
>work up
>         > my nerve for this sail!
>         >
>         > reconditioned this past winter I had "Sailcare" put these extra 
>2 grommets
>         > Then I pointed the trailer into the wind and unfurled and 
>lowered the 150
>         > didn't like the belly in the 150 genoa when partially furled. 
>Mine is the
>         > same way - grabs way too much air. The 110 is much flatter. Then 
>there's
>         > fill. Anyways, I felt much better having the 110 up. I didn't 
>install the
>         > tether system, although I should have. I figured I'd be just 
>2-1/2 miles
>         > though, I would have liked more protection when I went up to the 
>mast to
>         > street (mast up!) to the municipal marina launch next door and 
>launched.
>         > All the while looking for any newly installed overhead 
>electrical lines.
>         >
>         > After launching, the first task was to turn the boat around at 
>the dock to
>         > point into the wind. This was no easy task with a 25 knot wind 
>trying to
>         > push Jib Dance back up the ramp. Two young boater ladies ran 
>down to the
>         > launch dock and helped me out - all three of us pushed Jib Dance 
>astern,
>         > Shepler's to test the reefing), started the OB, and they shoved 
>me off.
>         > Another guy was helping at this point, and he told the girls 
>"Sailors like
>         > this stuff". He had just motored from Mackinaw Island and said 
>it was just
>         > plain nasty out there, and he would be spending the day at dock. 
>Just 10
>         > minutes before I had seen a Gemini sailing cat floundering out 
>there and
>         > limping to Shepler's dock. Last Friday, while working on Jib 
>Dance under
>         > Sailmaster and trimmed the mainsail gingerly (don't want to heel 
>too much
>         > and swamp the OB). Jib Dance handled this part just fine, and 
>pretty soon
>         > right near shore, since the wind and waves had a clear run from 
>the open
>         > lake, undisturbed by the islands. BTW: I raised the mainsail at 
>dock for 2
>         > reasons: (1) it would be difficult to raise it out in the 
>weather while
>         > As I got out a mile or so, the waves and wind moderated slightly 
>(3 ft.
>         > confused chop & 20 knot winds gusting more). It seems to me the 
>confused
>         > chop is due to the 6 ferry boats running every 15 minutes back 
>and forth
>         > to Mackinaw Island from Mackinaw City and St. Ignace. These 
>wakes combine
>         > with the 3+ ft. wind waves, and you get an interesting mix. 
>Fortunately,
>         > they weren't the sort of waves that cause the boat to 
>"bellysmack" in the
>         > troughs. Instead I took on lots of spray over the cabin top, and 
>Jib Dance
>         > still clinging to the hull. A couple cups of water ended up in 
>the cabin -
>         > it entered through the gap in the sliding hatch. Lifting the 
>outboard out
>         > of the water while sailing was interesting; it seemed every time 
>I went
>         > down to do this a big wave would roll under and the wind would 
>pick up. I
>         > finally got it up after 3 or 4 attempts. In hindsight, it might 
>have been
>         > The combination of "reefed to the numbers" mainsail and 110 jib 
>unfurled
>         > about 80% balanced the rig nicely. I was able to keep the 
>mainsail filled
>         > much of the time while gripping the mainsheet and luffing the 
>sail in the
>         > needed to correct to leeward I could sometimes just wait for the 
>next wave
>         > crest to push the nose to leeward. The fewer the steering 
>corrections the
>         > better.
>         >
>         > My speed was good throughout this day sail: 5.2 to 6.8 knots 
>(surfing down
>         > waves). I was sailing about 75 degrees to the true wind (short 
>reach), and
>         > waves - , so I tacked from short reach to short reach. I tacked 
>5 times,
>         > saiing 1-2 miles with each tack. On my retrun approach I furled 
>the jib
>         > the marina with aft wind), and motored into the big waves. Every 
>so often
>         > I would cringe as the OB propeller exited the water and whined 
>on some of
>         > the wave crests (inboard motor would be better in these 
>conditions), but
>         > All in all a fun sail, pushing the envelope a bit and learning 
>from it!
>         >
>         >

---

From: "Jon Golliher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:16:46 -0400

All very good points Glenn.      Obviously I don't have those conditions on the small inland lake that I sail but, like you, if that's what I had most of the time, I'm sure I'd be out there, perhaps stretching my comfort level.        We occasionally have some big blows and I've reefed and went out sometimes coming right back in but also sometimes finding that it's really busy, but ok and staying out and enjoying it.        

Where I sail some are more adventurous than others just the same as folks on the big water.      That seems normal human nature to me.      

I certainly don't view the more adventurous as reckless......unless they don't have a clue to what they are getting into. 
I'm sure we've all stretched our comfort level to one degree or other and learned from it.      Maybe that they definitely wouldn't do the same thing again......or as in most cases I think, found that it wasn't as bad as they had anticipated and had a good lesson learned.

Just by virtue of being sailors and relying so heavily on nature, I'd think we've all been in over our head at times and either by experience or instinct came out just fine and were the better for it.

Bottom line is, I certainly don't view the more adventurous among those on the list as reckless.      
 
Fair winds to all,
Jon Golliher
'85  SK  12712
Happy Daze
Anderson, IN

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email-masked] 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:38 PM
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log

  "Pick Your Weather"

  Sailing in northern latitudes on larger bodies of water such as open ocean or the Great Lakes definately limits sailing days.

  Figure on the high side a five month season. 
  Possible free days for sailing for most sailors is 2 per week and a 10 day vacation which comes to about 30 days.

  30 days 
  minus days with wind of less than five or +20 knots
  minus rainy days
  minus days with waves 2 1/2 feet or more
  equals very few days

  I didn't think John or his boat seemed to be in great danger on the video. 3.5 foot waves and a couple handkerchief sized sails up to deal with the wind. Not exactly kick back and have a brewski conditions, but not reckless foolishness either.

  Robert has sailed his boat in heavy conditions and he and the boat seem quite capable of handling them. 

  On Lake Michigan an on shore wind speed of 5 - 15 knots will produce 1- 3 foot waves. 15- 20 knots is 3 foot plus.  These are the conditions I mainly sail in.

  I, of course, cherish those days with a steady 10-15 knot offshore wind and 1 foot waves with the boat slicing effortlessly through the water at a good speed . But those days are few and far between so I sail in a wider range of conditions.

  Managing your sail area and proper steerage through waves is not as hard on the boat as it is sometimes on the sailor. 
  We all must decide what is beyond our , or the boats'  ability. I can't judge for others.

  Singlehanders should be more conservative than the racers and I believe they are. If the racers get in trouble they always have a number of fellow sailors nearby to offer assistance.

  IMHO

  Glenn Hedmark
  12533 sk
  DiZire
  Wauconda, Illinois 

  Chip Ford <[email-masked]> wrote:
    I've been wrestling over whether to put out these thoughts or remain silent.

    I can't remain silent of this matter.

    I learned long ago that the first rule of cruising was "Pick Your Weather."

    To me, that means you don't intentionally head out into something beyond your level of comfort -- after all, that's what cruising is all about; enjoyment.

    Enjoyment.  Now that can mean different things to different folks.  To some like me, it means pushing "Chip Ahoy" within parameters, what the boat was designed to do.  I'll always remember (grrr) Bob "Hobie" Davidson, my second backup on my first Maine cruise, on the phone telling Barbara, my primary backup on that trip, "Catalina 22s were never designed to be ocean-going vessels, he's pushing it just being out there."  Thanks Hobie, that did wonders for Barbara's peace of mind!  This is one of the reasons I didn't call Marie, "Wild Man" John Graichen's wife, last Saturday when he was rather overdue by a few hours.

    To others, it's pushing the envelope, seeing what the boat can and will do.  Of course, you'll never know until it and/or you fail.  Then we'll likely never know either, nor will your next of kin.

    John's and Robert's accounts certainly are exciting.  It's good to know that our little boats can if need be handle those extremes if necessary.  In a way selfishly, I'm glad they've taken the risks so I am better able to appreciate and evaluate what "Chip Ahoy" is capable of taking on, if necessary.

    If necessary.  I'll stick to the axiom "Pick Your Weather" and hope I don't ever have to rely on their experiences.  If I ever do, I'll strive to persevere as always.

    Sure, I've been caught out there, had to chose between sailing fast or sailing safe; chose sailing fast as the best option to get in before sailing safe became even more difficult.

    But I was caught out there in the middle, heading toward shelter.

    I've left a harbor or two only to do a 180 and return when I got outside and actually experienced the sea conditions; spent another few hours, even a day.  Once, in Scituate, the harbormaster commented, "That's because you've become older, wiser, and have lived long enough to learn a lesson or two."

    I just can't see leaving a safe harbor to venture into possibly treacherous conditions voluntarily.

    Racers have to race if the race is on.  Cruisers don't need to budge.  On passages, cruisers will get all the action they want or need -- sooner or later, like it or not.  Just be patient, and ready for it when it arrives.

    Maybe that's what this is all about -- taking it on when you don't need to, so you are?

    So why the unnecessary preemption?  Sorry, but I just don't get it.  Best of luck though:  the stories are exciting, revealing.

    Chip Ford --
    Marblehead, Mass.
    1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
    CTY032820374
    Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Robert Bemben
    Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:36 AM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: [Catalina-22] [DAY SAILING] [GREAT LAKES] Mackinaw trip log

    Inspired by John Graichen, and recalling another "Small Craft Warning" day
    sail and a "Water Spout Warning" day sail I had done last year out of
    Mackinaw, I drove out to Mackinaw City with the intent of testing the waters
    for a couple of hours.

    Upon arriving at Jib Dance it was clear that this was no ordinary sailing
    day. Flags across Mackinaw City were stretched from the offshore ESE wind,
    the "fudgies" (tourists) were hanging on to their hats, and Lake Huron was
    full of whitecaps. It took me an hour to get Jib Dance ready and work up my
    nerve for this sail!  . . .