Subject: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

From: "George & Deb Temple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:43:23 -0400

Thanks Bayard, Glenn & Eric for advising on new lines.

Has anyone had experience with a 9HP Volvo Penta outboard.  I think they were made from 1973 - 1976 or so, but I have been unable to find much info about them.  Amazingly, after adding fresh gas and after a lot of pulling the one that came with my friend's boat actually started despite having sat idle for 13 years.  Specifically, I would like to know the recommended oil to gas ratio.  I seem to remember that some older outboards needed 25 to 1 instead of the 50 to 1 that is now common.

Again, thanks in advance.
George Temple
Pearl
1978 Swing keel #8063
Lake Sequoia, NC

---

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:04:54 -0400

A 1976 Volvo Penta "9.0 Sail" (made in Sweden) came with "Chip Ahoy" but
never worked.  I took it to the local outboard service shop and was told to
trash it -- parts are no longer available.  It's been sitting (upright!)
alongside my house ever since.  I bought used the 1985 Tohatsu to replace
it, then the new Honda to replace to Tohatsu -- and with the new Honda I'm
right back to where I started!   ;-)
 
It's still sitting out there -- leaning against my house upright for all
these years:  If you're ever looking for a parts motor, it's yours.  I've
got the sales brochure with specs too if you'd like it.  Everything but the
fuel mixture!
 
Chip Ford --
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of George & Deb Temple
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:43 PM
To: C22 List
Subject: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

Has anyone had experience with a 9HP Volvo Penta outboard.  I think they
were made from 1973 - 1976 or so, but I have been unable to find much info
about them.  Amazingly, after adding fresh gas and after a lot of pulling
the one that came with my friend's boat actually started despite having sat
idle for 13 years.  Specifically, I would like to know the recommended oil
to gas ratio.  I seem to remember that some older outboards needed 25 to 1
instead of the 50 to 1 that is now common.