Subject: [Catalina-22] Catalina22 (General) (Great day of Racing in My Own MInd)

From: "Thomas Holz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:53:31 -0400

Hello, 
       First, I must say, thank you to Bob, Glenn, Greg, Louis, and All.  This list, and you guys, have helped me out so much already, along with all. that contribute to this list, with your insight on sailing, that it just had to be said again.  The knowledge that I have gained from all of you, is priceless.  With folks, and their visual knowledge sites, like Chip, Bayard, Greg, Louis,and Skip...Thank you. You folks really shed light on the written word.  I consider everyone on this list BIG FISH, in a little sea!
        Sunday was a great day of sailing for me.  My wife Christine, my son Devon, and I met up with some friends of ours, Bill Terrie, and their son Landon, for a day of sailing.  We all boarded, as well as a strawberry rhubarb pie, and were underway at 12:30.  The winds were from the southwest at 9-12 mph.  I motored out pass all of the moorings, and then raised the main, along with the Genoa and sailed north west .  The winds were perfect for all on board to settle in.  
          I sailed north- west, gybing a few times to avoid outcroppings of rocks, as we headed toward Mayfield Beach, to wave to my other two kids, Andasia, and Aidan, who were with my sister-in-law at the beach.  As I banged into Terrie's knees and legs a few times during the gybes, I sat there admiring my tiller,(a C25 tiller), and how comfortable it was to handle, compared to my C22 tiller.  The C25 tiller has a higher profile, and lessens the need to lean your body into the tiller. Plus, with the new beefy tiller plates installed, the feel at the rudder was greatly improved.
          The winds started to pick up a few notches, now at 12-20 mph.  Off  the port side I noticed a Hunter 33.5 sailboat, with full main and Genoa, towing a 19-20 foot inboard/outboard sport boat. " How great that is", I said to my crew, "Here's a fellow sailor that's willing to help someone in need".  As we got closer to him, I noticed the name on the Hunter.  I just introduced myself to this sailor one week ago,( it turned out that my brother and my sister-in-law were friends of his, and they had sailed with him several times, though not on that boat).  Small world.  But the cool thing was, it was his "Dingy" he was towing, and not someone in need.  He to was headed toward Mayfield beach.  "Stay cool, don't screw up," I thought to myself, as I felt a little intimidated sailing close to him, and also, that he was an accomplished sailor, and I am not.  We stayed with him sailing somewhat side by side.And as luck would have it, the winds picked up, now 18-25, with gust up to 33 mph.   We are still with him though.  "I hope he can't see my nervousness on my face, or, for that matter,I hope that none of my crew can see it either", I thought to myself. " Should I reef?  Should I roll in the Genoa a bit? No, wait my buddy Bill is a big guy, railmeat if need be!  This is perfect!  The Hunter's not reefed!  He seems calm! But, he did switch his beer from hand to the other hand as he sailed his Hunter!  Does that mean he's nervous too!", I thought.  "Hell, if he can do it, so can I.  The race to Mayfield beach is on Pal !"  So here I am racing, in my own mind, against a Hunter 33.5.  My mind is in overload, as I try to remember everything that I've read from the folks on the Chip Ford Web Site, "Pinch Mode, Flat is Fast, When in doubt, ease it out, Pinch Mode...can't, wrong point of sail....I wonder if Skip is still mad, I hope Chip gets out soon." ect.... 
           I must of have sailed just enough to do things instinctively, because the boat handled great.  I trimmed what I thought should be trimmed.  The boat seemed balanced, with ease, it raced pass the Hunter.  Of course, he did bare off to starboard, as the beach was getting very close now, but I still headed for the beach, knowing my boat can gybe on a dime.  As we scan the beach for my daughter, son, and sister-in-law, I glance back at the Hunter and give a friendly wave, knowing that the next time, Snoopy will get the Red Baron.  It felt good.
           My family on the beach spotted us, and cheered us on, as if we were really racing.  By now I'm very close to the markers that were on the outside of the swimming area.  Time to Gybe, and head back, with some detours, around some islands, and outcroppings.  I handled the Gybe pretty good for the winds the we were in.  We waved good bye to my family on the beach as we headed away.  
            I settled in again, with the winds still at 18-25, and still from the south-west.  I thought of all of the wisdom again from the "list".  Pinch Mode, Flat is Fast, When in doubt, ease it out".  I tightened the vang a bit more, tightened the outhaul, drew back the traveler a tad.  I'm amazed at how little the adjustments are, to make a big difference in sailing speed and comfort. 
            My crew were loving life.  My wife Christine was yelling out "Oh yah,this is sailing", as our speed picked up, and as we heeled a little more in a gust of 33mph.  Terrie's still relaxed, sunning herself, but did work the starboard side jib sheet.  Devon and Landon were down in the cabin playing on their DS's.  And Bill wants pie!  So the pie comes out of the cooler, and it's sliced and served.  Has anyone eaten strawberry/rhubarb pie in 25 mph winds?  Don't!  Plastic forks were flying about. Paper plates and napkins were kites. And just as you bring the sharp plastic fork up to your mouth, BAM...you hit a wave!  No eyes were poked out, just a few fork dimples in the cheeks.  After eating a very good pie in strong winds we looked at each other, and just broke out laughing...they all looked as if they stepped out of a Jerry Lewis movie.  They had pie all over them. Terrie looked as if she applied her lipstick badly, Bill was licking the filling off his arm, my wife was wearing it nicely on her legs, and I...well, I passed on the pie.
            We arrived back at the Dock feeling great.  This was the first sailing day, that I've been in, without doing some sort of reefing at the main, or at the Genoa.  I'm starting to feel a little more confident in my ability to handle my boat in stronger wind conditions.  I still would like to handle my boat as well as my boat handles it's self.
             After leaving the dock to go back to my mooring, I had a few minutes to reflect on life in general.  I thought about the days events, and how well I thought I handled things.  I thought about my family, and how lucky I am in this world.  I wondered if Snoopy will indeed get the Hunter Red Baron next time.  And I wondered if, if there were one more piece of strawberry/rhubarb pie.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Thanks, and take care, Jay

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY
1989 WING KEEL (CjAndeai)
CTYH5021E989
www.cjandeai.blogspot.com

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:25:04 -0500

Yeehaw! LOL, I can see the plates, pie and forks flying.   :-D

Glad to hear everyone had fun.

bob

Thomas Holz wrote:

Hello,

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

--
Bob Keim
Nashville, TN
1976 C22 Pursuit

---

From: Peter Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:30:57 -0400

Great story, Jay!!!  Lot's of fun to read - had me laughing out  
LOUD!  Thank you!

Pete Snyder
Windabout - 1978 sk #8329
Lake Chickamauga, TN

On Aug 15, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Thomas Holz wrote:

Hello,
        First, I must say, thank you to Bob, Glenn, Greg, Louis, and  
All.  This list, and you guys, have helped me out so much already,  
along with all. that contribute to this list, with your insight on  
sailing, that it just had to be said again.  The knowledge that I  
have gained from all of you, is priceless.  With folks, and their  
visual knowledge sites, like Chip, Bayard, Greg, Louis,and  
Skip...Thank you. You folks really shed light on the written word.  I  
consider everyone on this list BIG FISH, in a little sea!
         Sunday was a great day of sailing for me.  My wife  
Christine, my son Devon, and I met up with some friends of ours, Bill  
Terrie, and their son Landon, for a day of sailing.  We all boarded,  
as well as a strawberry rhubarb pie, and were underway at 12:30.  The  
winds were from the southwest at 9-12 mph.  I motored out pass all of  
the moorings, and then raised the main, along with the Genoa and  
sailed north west .  The winds were perfect for all on board to  
settle in.
           I sailed north- west, gybing a few times to avoid  
outcroppings of rocks, as we headed toward Mayfield Beach, to wave to  
my other two kids, Andasia, and Aidan, who were with my sister-in-law  
at the beach.  As I banged into Terrie's knees and legs a few times  
during the gybes, I sat there admiring my tiller,(a C25 tiller), and  
how comfortable it was to handle, compared to my C22 tiller.  The C25  
tiller has a higher profile, and lessens the need to lean your body  
into the tiller. Plus, with the new beefy tiller plates installed,  
the feel at the rudder was greatly improved.
           The winds started to pick up a few notches, now at 12-20  
mph.  Off  the port side I noticed a Hunter 33.5 sailboat, with full  
main and Genoa, towing a 19-20 foot inboard/outboard sport boat. "  
How great that is", I said to my crew, "Here's a fellow sailor that's  
willing to help someone in need".  As we got closer to him, I noticed  
the name on the Hunter.  I just introduced myself to this sailor one  
week ago,( it turned out that my brother and my sister-in-law were  
friends of his, and they had sailed with him several times, though  
not on that boat).  Small world.  But the cool thing was, it was his  
"Dingy" he was towing, and not someone in need.  He to was headed  
toward Mayfield beach.  "Stay cool, don't screw up," I thought to  
myself, as I felt a little intimidated sailing close to him, and  
also, that he was an accomplished sailor, and I am not.  We stayed  
with him sailing somewhat side by side.And as luck would have it, the  
winds picked up, now 18-25, with gust up to 33 mph.   We are still  
with him though.  "I hope he can't see my nervousness on my face, or,  
for that matter,I hope that none of my crew can see it either", I  
thought to myself. " Should I reef?  Should I roll in the Genoa a  
bit? No, wait my buddy Bill is a big guy, railmeat if need be!  This  
is perfect!  The Hunter's not reefed!  He seems calm! But, he did  
switch his beer from hand to the other hand as he sailed his Hunter!   
Does that mean he's nervous too!", I thought.  "Hell, if he can do  
it, so can I.  The race to Mayfield beach is on Pal !"  So here I am  
racing, in my own mind, against a Hunter 33.5.  My mind is in  
overload, as I try to remember everything that I've read from the  
folks on the Chip Ford Web Site, "Pinch Mode, Flat is Fast, When in  
doubt, ease it out, Pinch Mode...can't, wrong point of sail....I  
wonder if Skip is still mad, I hope Chip gets out soon." ect....
            I must of have sailed just enough to do things  
instinctively, because the boat handled great.  I trimmed what I  
thought should be trimmed.  The boat seemed balanced, with ease, it  
raced pass the Hunter.  Of course, he did bare off to starboard, as  
the beach was getting very close now, but I still headed for the  
beach, knowing my boat can gybe on a dime.  As we scan the beach for  
my daughter, son, and sister-in-law, I glance back at the Hunter and  
give a friendly wave, knowing that the next time, Snoopy will get the  
Red Baron.  It felt good.
            My family on the beach spotted us, and cheered us on, as  
if we were really racing.  By now I'm very close to the markers that  
were on the outside of the swimming area.  Time to Gybe, and head  
back, with some detours, around some islands, and outcroppings.  I  
handled the Gybe pretty good for the winds the we were in.  We waved  
good bye to my family on the beach as we headed away.
             I settled in again, with the winds still at 18-25, and  
still from the south-west.  I thought of all of the wisdom again from  
the "list".  Pinch Mode, Flat is Fast, When in doubt, ease it out".   
I tightened the vang a bit more, tightened the outhaul, drew back the  
traveler a tad.  I'm amazed at how little the adjustments are, to  
make a big difference in sailing speed and comfort.
             My crew were loving life.  My wife Christine was yelling  
out "Oh yah,this is sailing", as our speed picked up, and as we  
heeled a little more in a gust of 33mph.  Terrie's still relaxed,  
sunning herself, but did work the starboard side jib sheet.  Devon  
and Landon were down in the cabin playing on their DS's.  And Bill  
wants pie!  So the pie comes out of the cooler, and it's sliced and  
served.  Has anyone eaten strawberry/rhubarb pie in 25 mph winds?   
Don't!  Plastic forks were flying about. Paper plates and napkins  
were kites. And just as you bring the sharp plastic fork up to your  
mouth, BAM...you hit a wave!  No eyes were poked out, just a few fork  
dimples in the cheeks.  After eating a very good pie in strong winds  
we looked at each other, and just broke out laughing...they all  
looked as if they stepped out of a Jerry Lewis movie.  They had pie  
all over them. Terrie looked as if she applied her lipstick badly,  
Bill was licking the filling off his arm, my wife was wearing it  
nicely on her legs, and I...well, I passed on the pie.
             We arrived back at the Dock feeling great.  This was the  
first sailing day, that I've been in, without doing some sort of  
reefing at the main, or at the Genoa.  I'm starting to feel a little  
more confident in my ability to handle my boat in stronger wind  
conditions.  I still would like to handle my boat as well as my boat  
handles it's self.
              After leaving the dock to go back to my mooring, I had  
a few minutes to reflect on life in general.  I thought about the  
days events, and how well I thought I handled things.  I thought  
about my family, and how lucky I am in this world.  I wondered if  
Snoopy will indeed get the Hunter Red Baron next time.  And I  
wondered if, if there were one more piece of strawberry/rhubarb pie.

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY

---

From: Glenn Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:24:39 -0400

Great story Thomas.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Glenn Warner
Goblin#10369
JuJu#1222
Jacksonville Florida
On Aug 15, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Thomas Holz wrote:

> Skip...Thank you. You folks really shed light on the written word.   
> I consider everyone on this list BIG FISH, in a little sea!
> Christine, my son Devon, and I met up with some friends of ours,  
> Bill Terrie, and their son Landon, for a day of sailing.  We all  
> boarded, as well as a strawberry rhubarb pie, and were underway at  
> 12:30.  The winds were from the southwest at 9-12 mph.  I motored  
> out pass all of the moorings, and then raised the main, along with  
> the Genoa and sailed north west .  The winds were perfect for all  
> on board to settle in.
> outcroppings of rocks, as we headed toward Mayfield Beach, to wave  
> to my other two kids, Andasia, and Aidan, who were with my sister- 
> in-law at the beach.  As I banged into Terrie's knees and legs a  
> few times during the gybes, I sat there admiring my tiller,(a C25  
> tiller), and how comfortable it was to handle, compared to my C22  
> tiller.  The C25 tiller has a higher profile, and lessens the need  
> to lean your body into the tiller. Plus, with the new beefy tiller  
> plates installed, the feel at the rudder was greatly improved.
> mph.  Off  the port side I noticed a Hunter 33.5 sailboat, with  
> full main and Genoa, towing a 19-20 foot inboard/outboard sport  
> boat. " How great that is", I said to my crew, "Here's a fellow  
> sailor that's willing to help someone in need".  As we got closer  
> to him, I noticed the name on the Hunter.  I just introduced myself  
> to this sailor one week ago,( it turned out that my brother and my  
> sister-in-law were friends of his, and they had sailed with him  
> several times, though not on that boat).  Small world.  But the  
> cool thing was, it was his "Dingy" he was towing, and not someone  
> in need.  He to was headed toward Mayfield beach.  "Stay cool,  
> don't screw up," I thought to myself, as I felt a little  
> intimidated sailing close to him, and also, that he was an  
> accomplished sailor, and I am not.  We stayed with him sailing  
> somewhat side by side.And as luck would have it, the winds picked  
> up, now 18-25, with gust up to 33 mph.   We are still with him  
> though.  "I hope he can't see my nervousness on my face, or, for  
> that matter,I hope that none of my crew can see it either", I  
> bit? No, wait my buddy Bill is a big guy, railmeat if need be!   
> This is perfect!  The Hunter's not reefed!  He seems calm! But, he  
> did switch his beer from hand to the other hand as he sailed his  
> Hunter!  Does that mean he's nervous too!", I thought.  "Hell, if  
> he can do it, so can I.  The race to Mayfield beach is on Pal !"   
> So here I am racing, in my own mind, against a Hunter 33.5.  My  
> mind is in overload, as I try to remember everything that I've read  
> from the folks on the Chip Ford Web Site, "Pinch Mode, Flat is  
> Fast, When in doubt, ease it out, Pinch Mode...can't, wrong point  
> of sail....I wonder if Skip is still mad, I hope Chip gets out  
> soon." ect....
> beach, knowing my boat can gybe on a dime.  As we scan the beach  
> for my daughter, son, and sister-in-law, I glance back at the  
> Hunter and give a friendly wave, knowing that the next time, Snoopy  
> will get the Red Baron.  It felt good.
> if we were really racing.  By now I'm very close to the markers  
> that were on the outside of the swimming area.  Time to Gybe, and  
> head back, with some detours, around some islands, and  
> outcroppings.  I handled the Gybe pretty good for the winds the we  
> were in.  We waved good bye to my family on the beach as we headed  
> away.
> still from the south-west.  I thought of all of the wisdom again  
> from the "list".  Pinch Mode, Flat is Fast, When in doubt, ease it  
> out".  I tightened the vang a bit more, tightened the outhaul, drew  
> back the traveler a tad.  I'm amazed at how little the adjustments  
> are, to make a big difference in sailing speed and comfort.
>             My crew were loving life.  My wife Christine was  
> yelling out "Oh yah,this is sailing", as our speed picked up, and  
> as we heeled a little more in a gust of 33mph.  Terrie's still  
> relaxed, sunning herself, but did work the starboard side jib  
> sheet.  Devon and Landon were down in the cabin playing on their  
> DS's.  And Bill wants pie!  So the pie comes out of the cooler, and  
> it's sliced and served.  Has anyone eaten strawberry/rhubarb pie in  
> 25 mph winds?  Don't!  Plastic forks were flying about. Paper  
> plates and napkins were kites. And just as you bring the sharp  
> plastic fork up to your mouth, BAM...you hit a wave!  No eyes were  
> poked out, just a few fork dimples in the cheeks.  After eating a  
> very good pie in strong winds we looked at each other, and just  
> broke out laughing...they all looked as if they stepped out of a  
> Jerry Lewis movie.  They had pie all over them. Terrie looked as if  
> she applied her lipstick badly, Bill was licking the filling off  
> his arm, my wife was wearing it nicely on her legs, and I...well, I  
> passed on the pie.
>             We arrived back at the Dock feeling great.  This was  
> the first sailing day, that I've been in, without doing some sort  
> of reefing at the main, or at the Genoa.  I'm starting to feel a  
> little more confident in my ability to handle my boat in stronger  
> wind conditions.  I still would like to handle my boat as well as  
> my boat handles it's self.