Subject: CIO Careers: How to Ace an Interview, Negotiate a Raise and Much More.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:00:00 -0400

CIO Careers: How to Ace an Interview, Negotiate a Raise and Much More.

CIO Careers: Job listings and advice for your career

July 6, 2007

How to Ace an Interview
Interviewing is a skill that rusts quickly. IT executives--
and the bosses who hired them--recommend treating a job interview
as if it's a meeting with an executive during your first 100 days;
preparing yourself by finding out who the company's key vendors 
are and then using your industry connections to learn more about
the company's approach to IT; and NOT trying to close the deal. 
For those insights and more, read this story. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9493/0/

Also in this issue of CIO Careers:
1. 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Negotiating a Raise
2. Tips for Winning Back Colleagues You've Alienated
3. Four Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence
4. What It Takes to Be a CEO
5. Hot Jobs
6. Movers & Shakers
7. Subscribe to Our New Newsletters
8. New Job Listings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Careers is sponsored by VMWare and Sun

Virtualized Solutions to Today's Business Connectivity Challenges Webcast

Virtualization is about more than server optimization.  Today, it’s 
about disaster recovery and business continuity too – helping you to 
recover quickly, reliably and affordably.  Find out how from our 
esteemed panel of experts at Sun Microsystems and VMWare.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9494/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Negotiating a Raise
Contrary to what you might think, the trick to negotiating a 
salary increase--or any kind of a deal--is not to seek consensus
but to say no. Instead of trying to achieve a win-win, push back,
ask questions and invite your adversary to say no. This story 
explains why "no" is the most powerful word in negotiations and
lists the 10 most common mistakes people make in negotiations.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9495/0/

2. Tips for Winning Back Colleagues You've Alienated
If you've stepped on a few toes in the process of advancing your 
security agenda, Executive Coach Susan Cramm offers her advice
on how you can win them back: take responsiblity for your actions, 
apologize to your co-workers, listen empathetically and understand 
their communication style. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9496/0/

3. Four Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence
No matter where you stand on the corporate ladder in IT--whether
you're a user support specialist, a developer, business analyst,
project manager or executive--your ability to read others' un-
spoken emotions (that is, your emotional intelligence) is key to
excelling in your role. Indeed, research shows it's your soft
skills and emotional intelligence (EI) that determines everything
from whether you get promoted to how happy you are at work. Luckily,
with knowledge, awareness and practice, you can boost your EI. 
Here are four tips.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9497/0/

4. What It Takes to Be a CEO
Executive Search firm Egon Zehnder has parlayed its 40 years of 
experience assessing executive talent into a framework for identify-
ing the competencies of successful CEOs and CIOs. Egon Zehnder 
notes that market knowledge and external customer focus are weak
spots for CIOs that they need to hone if they want to become CEOs.
For more infromation on the competencies CIOs need to develop to 
take the corner office and what CEOs expect from CIOs, read this story.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9498/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Careers is sponsored by Oracle

ORACLE FUSION: CRM, ERP and Business Applications Redefined

A ‘perfect storm’ of business factors and IT shifts is causing senior 
executives to rethink their perception of middleware. Is it time for 
CIOs to re-evaluate middleware’s role in CRM, ERP and supply chain 
transformation strategies? Is the movement to SOA enough to justify 
a broader definition of what ‘middleware’ really means? Read this 
piece to explore the answers to these questions. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9499/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Hot Jobs
CIO's Hot Jobs series gives you an inside look at the most sought-
after roles in IT and explains how to fill those positions and 
what skills to look for in candidates. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9500/0/

6. Movers & Shakers
Who’s been hired or fired this week? Our Movers & Shakers blog 
provides the scoop on the latest job changes and career moves 
among IT management.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/7783/0/

7. Subscribe to Our New Newsletters
In case you haven't noticed, there's a ton more content on CIO.com 
these days. To help you keep up with all the practical, insightful
and incisive articles, columns and analyses, we've created some new
newsletters that highlight fresh research and analysis, outsourcing
and staffing issues, and articles on strategy and innovation. Check
our our list of new newsletters at 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9501/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Careers is sponsored by Siemens

3 key migration strategies to meet the modern communications 
needs of the enterprise

In this Whitepaper Siemens address:
-How to keep pace with today's dynamic communications environment 
-The key factors to consider when moving to a converged collaboration 
environment 
-Why modern communications is as much about business transformation 
as technology transformation 
-How migration practices has evolved to incorporate flexible and 
gradual transformation models

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9502/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. New Job Listings

>> Director of Information Technology
Manufacturer
Midwest
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9503/0/

>> International IT Manager
New Era Cap Company
Buffalo, N.Y.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9504/0/

>> SOA Systems Architect
Booz Allen Hamilton
McLean, Va.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9505/0/

For more job listings, visit
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/6985/0/

HOT PICKS

1. Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests SUSE
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9506/0/

2. Soft Skills for CIOs and Aspiring CIOs: Four Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9507/0/

3. Blog Post: The Next Bubble is Here
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9508/0/

4. Source Code Management Systems: Trends, Analysis and Best Features
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9509/0/

5. Review: kwikSynCh Charger Offers Affordable Relief from Cable Chaos
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/9510/0/

Thank you for reading CIO Careers.

Meridith Levinson
Senior Online Editor
CIO

Want more? Check out our other newsletters for up-to-date 
information on topics such as leadership, enterprise 
technology, research and more.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/2966/0/

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Careers because 
either you are a subscriber to our print publication, or 
you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail 
address, go to the following URL: http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/6886/0/

Did you get CIO Careers from a friend? Want it sent directly to you? 
Go to: http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/2969/0/

CIO.com’s online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/964969/554282/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path, 
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to 
contact someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].