Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Solve this one!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:31:21 +0000

I like this except that the only c22s I have seen with the lower compression post you talk about are the ones that the owners have put in.  Neither of my two had them from the factory.  That is #10369
and #1222.  Maybe later in the run, the original advice came from a guy with hull #14922. Did the leeward shrouds have a lot of slack in them when you were on the wind?  Is there a crack at the base of the armrest running fore and aft? These may indeed indicate that the mast is compressing the top and could be remedied by being sure the deck is solid beneath the mast and that you have installed a compression post to the bottom of the boat.  Easing the shroud tension should then also tighten up the companion way hole. Is the boat a pop top?

Glenn Warner
Goblin#10369
JuJu#1222
Jacksonville Florida

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: akar7 <[email-masked]> 

Bill,
Attached below is a conversation I had with Steve back on 5/13/2006.

This is what I think is going on.... If the hidden lower compression post is rotted away which many are, the cabin top will compress down ( and possibly bow the companion way opening)under the rigging tension.  The design of the 22 is the cabin top under the mast step is supported clear down to the hull by the teak post and a pine 2x4. The pine rotts away at the bottom. If your boat was flooded that long I would guess the post is badly rotted. You can see it fron within the area of the keel lock bolt ant the bottom.   
I can't think of anything else right now.

Bob Thomas
C22 14922 Wing
============================================================================
Steve,
I had the same problem on my previous swing keel and had to replace the lower compression post. I have some crude pictures of how I did it. The lower post is a tapered 2X4 from the bottom of the hull to the underside of the arm rest where it meets the upper post. I discovered the bottom of the post was rotted off allowing the cabin top to compress loosening the shrouds especially going to weather. 
The factory configuration is that the top compression post(teak) is placed on top of the arm rest. The arm rest is actually the inner liner. The underside of the armrest has a piece of wood (2x4) from the underside of the armrest the the bottom of the hull. The load from the mast is transmitted through the cabin top the the top compresion post, through the armrest to the 2x4 to the hull. 
In my case the cabin top was compressing, cracking the cabin top around the base and compressing the teak post and the armrest-liner into the top of the keel trunk cracking the top of the armrest.
This compression also showed up as excessivly loose side shrouds when under sail.

I cut out the top and side of the armrest and screwed a large lag bolt into the old post and slide hammered it out. I then cut a new post from a treated
2x4 and re-glassed it in and re-gelcoated the armrest.
http://community.webshots.com/album/426872808oJMpeo 
Bob Thomas
14922 C22 Wing

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [
mailto:[email-masked] ] On Behalf Of [email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:42 AM
To: C22 Discussion
Subject: [Catalina22] [Tech] Damaged Compr'sn post base
Hi C22 Discussion List!
I'm new to this list.
I am in the process of getting my 1975 #4554 back into the water after 7 yrs of storage (outside, but tarped) 
As I was cleaning the interior yesterday, I noticed that the area directly beneath the wooden compression post was deformed. It looks "crushed" and it's bowing out slightly.
Any ideas and/or advice?
I've done a fair amount of repairs on this boat involving fiberglass/epoxy.
Don't mind tackling this one, but not sure on how to proceed.
Thanks in advance!
Steve in Chicago

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:39:02 EDT

I agree with Bob Thomas.  The mast is pressing down on the cabin top  and in 
the process with a compromised lower compression post widening the  
companionway opening which means the crib boards don't fit no more.  That  lower 
compression post may be rotten from all the water in the boat.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 7/6/2007 3:53:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Bill,
 
This is what I think is going on.... If the hidden lower compression post  is 
rotted away which many are, the cabin top will compress down ( and possibly  
bow the companion way opening)under the rigging tension.  The design of  the 
22 is the cabin top under the mast step is supported clear down to  the hull by 
the teak post and a pine 2x4. The pine rotts away at the  bottom. If your 
boat was flooded that long I would guess the post is badly  rotted. You can see 
it fron within the area of the keel lock bolt ant the  bottom.   
I can't think of anything else right now.
 
Bob Thomas
C22 14922 Wing
 
Steve, 
I had the same problem on my previous swing keel and had to replace the  
lower compression post. I have some crude pictures of how I did it. The lower  
post is a tapered 2X4 from the bottom of the hull to the underside of the arm  
rest where it meets the upper post. I discovered the bottom of the post was  
rotted off allowing the cabin top to compress loosening the shrouds especially  
going to weather.  
The factory configuration is that the top compression post(teak) is placed  
on top of the arm rest. The arm rest is actually the inner liner. The  
underside of the armrest has a piece of wood (2x4) from the underside of the  armrest 
the the bottom of the hull. The load from the mast is transmitted  through the 
cabin top the the top compresion post, through the armrest to the  2x4 to the 
hull.  
In my case the cabin top was compressing, cracking the cabin top around the  
base and compressing the teak post and the armrest-liner into the top of the  
keel trunk cracking the top of the armrest. 
This compression also showed up as excessivly loose side shrouds when under  
sail. 
I cut out the top and side of the armrest and screwed a large lag bolt into  
the old post and slide hammered it out. I then cut a new post from a  treated 
2x4 and re-glassed it in and re-gelcoated the armrest. 
_http://community.webshots.com/album/426872808oJMpeo_ 
(http://community.webshots.com/album/426872808oJMpeo)   
Bob Thomas 
14922 C22 Wing 
-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])   
[_mailto:[email-masked] _ (mailto:[email-masked]) ] On 
 Behalf Of [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])   
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:42 AM 
To: C22 Discussion 
Subject: [Catalina22] [Tech] Damaged Compr'sn post base 
Hi C22 Discussion List! 
I'm new to this list. 
I am in the process of getting my 1975 #4554 back into the water after 7  yrs 
of storage (outside, but tarped)  
As I was cleaning the interior yesterday, I noticed that the area directly  
beneath the wooden compression post was deformed. It looks "crushed" and it's  
bowing out slightly. 
Any ideas and/or advice? 
I've done a fair amount of repairs on this boat involving  fiberglass/epoxy. 
Don't mind tackling this one, but not sure on how to proceed. 
Thanks in advance! 
Steve in Chicago

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.