Subject: Senate about to vote on Iraq and Iran

From: "Nita Chaudhary, MoveOn.org Political Action" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:54:41 -0700

Dear MoveOn member,

Today, the Senate opens debate on the new Iraq bill. Two very important
amendments will be voted on as early as today: Republicans will try to
eliminate any timeline for bringing our troops home. And there will likely
be a vote on an amendment requiring the president to get Congress'
permission before attacking Iran.

Tensions with Iran have risen dramatically in the last week. There's
growing danger the president could escalate the Iraq war by attacking
Iran.

Will you call Sens. Feinstein and Boxer, tell them you want a timeline that ends the war
quickly, and ask them support the amendment to rein in President Bush on
Iran?

  Senator Dianne Feinstein
  Phone: 202-224-3841

  Senator Barbara Boxer
  Phone: 202-224-3553

Afterwards, please report your call by clicking here:

http://political.moveon.org/call?tg=FSCA_1.FSCA_2&cp_id=472&id=10089-86329-uM.46d&t=2

The Bush administration has been saber-rattling against Iran for months.
But things have heated up after the UN Security Council approved new
sanctions and Iran seized 15 British naval personnel. We can't afford the
risk that Bush would use this crisis--or trumped-up intelligence--to
justify an attack on Iran.

Former National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski wrote recently in the
Washington Post:

The administration could be preparing the case for war with Iran. Such war
would then plunge America into a protracted conflict spanning Iraq, Iran,
Afghanistan and perhaps also Pakistan.1

Experts agree that diplomacy is a much better option for dealing with the
regime in Tehran.

Weighing in is easy. All you need to do is call Sens. Feinstein and Boxer. Then tell whoever
answers something like this: "Hi. I live in Palo Alto. I'd like to urge the
Senator to make sure President Bush has to get congressional approval
before attacking Iran. Also, the Senate Iraq bill must include a timeline
for ending the war quickly. Congress shouldn't give the president any more
blank checks. Thank you."

After the Senate votes, this fight will move to the president. He's likely
to veto the bill. But having Congress on record demanding Bush get
permission before moving on Iran would be a big step forward.

And, as far as Iraq goes, if Bush vetoes an exit plan, the lines will be
drawn--between the GOP and the American people. We have to make standing
with the president hurt enough that Republicans will abandon Bush and vote
to end the war.

Thanks for all you do.

--Nita, Justin, Wes, Carrie and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Tuesday, March 27th, 2007

Sources:

1."Terrorized by 'War on Terror'", Washington Post, Sunday, March 25,
2007.

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=2455&id=10089-86329-uM.46d&t=3

Support our member-driven organization: MoveOn.org Political Action is
entirely funded by our 3.2 million members. We have no corporate
contributors, no foundation grants, no money from unions. Our tiny staff
ensures that small contributions go a long way. If you'd like to support
our work, you can give now at:

http://political.moveon.org/donate/email.html?id=10089-86329-uM.46d&t=4

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn.org Political Action. To change your email address, update your contact info, or remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=10089-86329-uM.46d