Subject: Stanford Where You Live: Peninsula July 2007

From: Tom Maravilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:19:08 -0700 (PDT)

What are you going to do this summer? Here are some ideas: Read 
great books with the Stanford Book Salon, be a culture vulture, 
learn from expert Stanford faculty and have a great time in the 
pool. And choose your Mini Plan football package before Cal 
scoops them all up.

I'm going to take a San Francisco safari to the zoo in August. 

Go Cardinal!

Tom Maravilla, '77
Alumni Relations Officer, Bay Area
Stanford Alumni Association
[email-masked]
(650) 736-1734 
http://www.stanfordalumni.org

IN THIS ISSUE
--------------------------------------------------------------                                                                         
Stanford Events in the Bay Area
Opera in the Park, Los Gatos, 7/22
Save the Date for Stanford Day at the Zoo, 8/24

Stanford Sports
U.S Sports Academy Director's Cup
Chelsea vs. Club America, 7/14
Intramural Sports Open to Alumni this Summer

Come Back to Campus
Stanford Summer Theater Festival
Outdoor Science Talk 2: "Recent Advances in Heart Surgery"
Outdoor Science Talk 3: "Cool Hands, Better Performance"
Camp EDAY: Engineering from Head to Toe, 7/21

Lifelong Learning
Stanford Book Salon: Summer 2007 Reading List
Stanford on iTunes U: Check Out the Newest Tracks

Alumni Resources & Opportunities
Stanford Alpine Chalet: Lake Tahoe's Family Mountain Escape
Josh Childress Basketball Camp, 7/13 – 15
Special Mini Plan Offer for Stanford Football

Local Clubs 
Visit the Peninsula clubs page
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regional/listing.html?region-label=20:bay-area-peninsula:5.0&type=clubs

STANFORD EVENTS IN THE BAY AREA	
--------------------------------------------------------------

Opera in the Park
Sunday, July 22
5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Los Gatos Civic Center Lawn
110 East Main St.
Los Gatos
No charge
Contact Rita Baum at (408) 866-9158.
>> Get more information
http://www.supercalendar.com/event.html?id=1183653996stanfordsingles&e=1017742943

Join Bay Area Stanford Singles for "Opera in the Park" featuring 
principals from the San Jose Opera Guild.

Stanford Day at the San Francisco Zoo
Save the date!
Saturday, August 25
San Francisco Zoo

Make plans now to bring the kids to get up close and personal 
with the animals at the Zoo. Enjoy a classic All-American 
picnic, tour the zoo, learn from a Stanford professor and end 
the day with a fun happy hour.

STANFORD SPORTS
--------------------------------------------------------------

U.S Sports Academy Director's Cup
Stanford athletic events won't start up again until next month 
when we begin the quest for a 14th consecutive Director's Cup. 
>> Get details on our 13th Director's Cup
http://gostanford.cstv.com/genrel/directors-cup-release.html

Soccer: Chelsea vs. Club America 
Saturday, July 14
6:00 p.m. 
Stanford Stadium
>> Purchase tickets
http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=S&linkID=stanford&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode

Don't miss this chance to see three-time English Premier League 
champions Chelsea Football Club and 10-time Mexican Primera 
League champions Club America face off in a rare U.S. friendly. 

Intramural Sports Open to Alumni this Summer
Play IM Sand Volleyball (4 on 4), Basketball (3 on 3) or Golf 
(Two Person Best Ball) at Stanford this summer. Registration
is free. Golfers  will need to cover their greens fees. To register, 
email your complete team roster to Linda Clauss at 
[email-masked] beginning Monday, July 8. Rosters must
be received by 4 pm on Thursday, July 12. 
>> Get instructions, downloadable roster forms and waivers 
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/pe/intramurals/summer%20registration.html

COME BACK TO CAMPUS
-------------------------------------------------------------

Stanford Summer Theater Festival
"Africa on Stage -- Let Us Tell You a Story..."
Monday, June 25 through Sunday, August 19
Various dates and times
Various locations on campus

Stanford Summer Theater offers an unprecedented opportunity 
to encounter Africa, with four stage productions presenting an 
in-depth look at the "dark continent" through storytelling, 
theater, dance and music. Complementing the performances is an
equally rich eight-part Monday night film series.
>> Get more information about the festival
http://stanford.edu/group/summertheater/

Outdoor Science Talk 2
"Recent Advances in Heart Surgery"
Thursday, July 12
7:00 p.m.
Lawn outside of Cantor Arts Center
Free of charge

In the United States, 60 million people live with cardiac 
disease, while each year nearly 1 million die from it. Heart 
disease is the leading cause of death in women of all ages. 
Cardiovascular surgery and research at Stanford are a major 
focus of the School of Medicine. Stanford researchers are 
working to identify underlying genetic, gender, cellular and 
molecular factors, as well as environmental and lifestyle issues
that contribute to heart disease. 

Join Dr. Robert Robbins, director of Stanford's Cardiovascular 
Institute and chair of cardiothoracic surgery, as he discusses 
current research and the latest treatments for cardiovascular 
disease. He will focus on heart transplantation and the use of
stem cells to treat heart failure. 
>> Learn more about the Outdoor Science Talk Series
http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/course/EVT173.asp

Outdoor Science Talk 3
"Cool Hands, Better Performance"
Thursday, July 26
7:00 p.m.
Lawn outside of Cantor Arts Center
Free of charge

When our body temperature drifts a couple of degrees above or 
below normal, our mental and physical performance is impaired.
Even a modest rise in temperature causes fatigue and 
exhaustion -- a source of concern in hospitals, on the 
battlefield and in sports. In addition, some elderly people are
unable to maintain normal levels of heat in their bodies. 

Join Craig Heller, professor of biological sciences, the Lorry I. 
Lokey/Business Wire Professor and the William and Lynda Steere
University Fellow in Undergraduate Education as he discusses the
"glove" being developed in his lab that will allow individuals 
to raise or lower their body temperature to improve quality of 
life as well as physical and mental performance. Professor Craig
Heller and his colleagues have found that removing heat from an 
athlete's hands results in a dramatic improvement in physical
conditioning.
>> Learn more about the Outdoor Science Talk Series
http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/course/EVT173.asp

Camp EDAY: Engineering from Head to Toe
Saturday, July 21
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Arrillaga Alumni Center
Price: $25/adult and $15/youth 18 & under. Price and 
includes breakfast, lunch and a cool gift.
>> Get details and register
http://soe.stanford.edu/eday07

Refresh your brain at The School of Engineering 8th Annual EDAY, a 
fun day for alumni and children ages 10 and older. Faculty and 
students will share the excitement of their discoveries in the 
field of human health. Advance registration required. 

LIFELONG LEARNING
--------------------------------------------------------------

Stanford Book Salon: Summer 2007 Reading List
The 2007 reading list includes Henry James' "The Portrait of a 
Lady" and Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of 
Solitude," the two summer salon selections hosted by Stanford
professors, four faculty-recommended books, the three freshman
books being read by the class of 2011 and the One Book 
selections at the Bing Overseas Studies Program campuses. 
Whether you plan to head to the beach or the mountains or just 
curl up at home, there is a book here for you. 
>> Check out the summer reading list
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/booksalon

Stanford on iTunesU
Check out what's hot on Stanford on iTunesU, your go-to site 
for audio and video tracks of Stanford faculty lectures, sports,
interviews, music and much more. 

>> Modern Theatrical Physics (course)
itms://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.1291062366.01291619293.1292029785?i=1746738793

>> Leading the Good Life: Lessons from the Greeks itms://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.1292028868.01292028873.1291751909?i=1890789791

>> Linguistic Geography of Eastern Asia (course) itms://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/itunes.stanford.edu.1298143666.01298143669.1303131784?i=1348611980

>> Access the catalog of audio and video tracks on Stanford on iTunesU
http://itunes.stanford.edu/

ALUMNI RESOURCES AND OPPORTUNITIES 
--------------------------------------------------------------

Stanford Alpine Chalet: Lake Tahoe's Family Mountain Escape
Enjoy warm weather in the Sierra with your family at the Stanford 
Alpine Chalet. At the Chalet you and your family can relax by the 
pool or hot tub, enjoy a friendly game of sand volleyball or 
basketball with other fellow Stanford families, or just enjoy 
some quality family time. Nearby activities include hiking, 
biking, rafting, horseback riding, boating, golfing, shopping and 
more! 

The Chalet is taking individual family reservations for this 
spring and summer. Families can enjoy the Chalet at a special 
rate of $99 a night (double occupancy required), $40 for each 
additional person. Children 3 and under stay for free. This 
price includes a gourmet mountain breakfast. To check 
availability and make reservations, call (530) 583-1550 or 
e-mail [email-masked]. 

>> Get details about summer at the Chalet  
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/sierra/alpine-chalet/warm_season.html

Josh Childress Basketball Camp
July 13 - 15
9:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
San Mateo High School
506 N. Delaware Street
San Mateo
Contact Jeff Tripaldi, '90, at [email-masked]
>> Get details and register
www.joshchildresscamp.com 

Your child can learn basketball fundamentals from Josh 
Childress, former Stanford basketball star and current NBA 
standout with the Atlanta Hawks. His basketball camp, open to 
boys and girls of all basketball levels between the ages of 
8-17, will be held at San Mateo High School. 

Special Mini Plan Offer for Stanford Football
Can't commit to all 8 home football games this fall? Choose 
from one of two Mini Plan packages of 4 games each, before they 
go on sale to the public on July 16, to get the best of Stanford 
Football. 
>> Get details and purchase tickets using promo code BEATCAL
http://gostanford.cstv.com/tickets/tickets-body.html

ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER
--------------------------------------------------------------
                                                           
This newsletter was prepared by Tom Maravilla, '77, at the Stanford 
Alumni Association. It is produced in collaboration with Stanford 
clubs and volunteers and is sent via e-mail the first week of every 
month. Please send any correspondence to Tom at 
[email-masked]. In addition, please contact Tom if 
you would like to receive the newsletter for another region. 

STANFORD WHERE YOU LIVE 
A Publication of the Stanford Alumni Association

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to [email-masked]

Do we have your most recent contact information? Update it by clicking on this link: 
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/home/main?page=up&pgAid=0290&rtaCode=29221&rtaTcode=3987&eid=30697376030

If you received this in error, or if you'd rather not receive further emails of this kind, you can unsubscribe by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/cmgen/service/maillistu?m=R37&eid=30697376030&rtaCode=29221&pgAid=0290&rtaTcode=3986

If you are encountering difficulties with the above email, contact Customer Service. You may also email [email-masked] or call toll free, 1-866-543-0243 (International: +1(650) 724-0627).

Contact Customer Service by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/feedback/Service/getForm?url=SMfooter&pcode=265