Subject: Key Moment on Global Warming

From: "Ilyse Hogue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:03:23 -0700

Dear MoveOn member,

With the Democrats in power, House leaders promise this is the year
climate change legislation will pass Congress--the question has moved
quickly from if we are going to do something about the climate crisis to
what we are going to do.

Oil and coal lobbyists are pressing hard to keep bills with real teeth
from passing or even getting out of committee. There are a few key
legislators who will decide which bills get voted on--and how strong they
are. We need to make sure these folks hear from all their constituents
that they need to stand up to the lobbyists and vote for real action on
climate change.

Your representative isn't on one of the key committees, but we've got a
new way for you to make a real difference. We're throwing a special Call
for the Climate party near you. We're going to call through all the MoveOn
members in those key districts and ask them to call their representatives
this week--to speak for all of us. Can you come?

 Host: Elaine E.--fellow MoveOn member

Where: Alma & North California (in Palo Alto)
When: Wednesday, May 23 2007,  4:30 PM

Click here to sign up:

http://pol.moveon.org/event/climatecall/37537?id=10351-86329-Gm9RD5&t=2

The calls are easy. All you have to do is show up and bring a cell phone
if you have one. Your host will have everything you need from phone
numbers and names of members in your district to a script with easy
background information on the bills. And the best part is you get to meet
other MoveOn members--both at your party and on the phone!

Here's what one host had to say about making these calls:

It was great to call fellow MoveOn members...and find that most of them
were more than willing to help. I think they also appreciated the fact
that what we were asking them to do was simple but could have an
immediate, tangible effect, as well as a long-term payoff. --Randy B.,
Asheville, NC

After decades of inaction, we now have leadership in Congress that has
vowed to tackle global warming with real solutions. But Energy Committee
Chair John Dingell's comments last week showed the danger of thinking we
have already won.

"We are all going to share in this [climate legislation], and
everyone--industry or individual--will be putting their tithe into the
box."1

In other words, coal and oil companies that ante up will help shape the
bills. And we know where that leads.

We have to show that the voters will be there to support our elected
officials who stand up to Big Oil. Can you spend an hour calling other
MoveOn members in critical House districts to let them know their voice is
key now on this critical issue?

Click here to attend the event:

http://pol.moveon.org/event/climatecall/37537?id=10351-86329-Gm9RD5&t=3

Thanks for all you do.

--Ilyse, Anna, Mari, Matt, and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Friday, May 18th, 2007

Source:

1. "Dingell: Climate Change Bill Will Pass," Houston Chronicle, May 14,
2007
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4802852.html</ahref="http:>

Support our member-driven organization: MoveOn.org Political Action is
entirely funded by our 3.2 million members. We have no corporate
contributors, no foundation grants, no money from unions. Our tiny staff
ensures that small contributions go a long way. If you'd like to support
our work, you can give now at:

http://political.moveon.org/donate/email.html?id=10351-86329-Gm9RD5&t=4

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn.org Political Action. To change your email address, update your contact info, or remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=10351-86329-Gm9RD5