Subject: PARC Forum April 12th, 2007 : "Thinking big: Carbon capture and sequestration as a global approach to greenhouse gas emission reduction", Dr. S. Julio Friedmann, Carbon Management Program, LLNL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:58:31 PDT

PARC Forum

Thursday, April 12th, 2007, 4:00-5:00 PM

George E. Pake Auditorium

Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

This forum is OPEN to the public.

TITLE: Thinking big: Carbon capture and sequestration as a global
approach to greenhouse gas emission reduction

SPEAKER: Dr. S. Julio Friedmann, Carbon Management Program, Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory

ABSTRACT:

Carbon capture and storage (CCS, sometimes called carbon sequestration)
has emerged as a key technology pathway to substantial greenhouse gas
reductions. While not sufficient to total energy decarbonization, it
appears able likely to contribute between from 10-50% of the potential
abatement needed for stabilization of atmospheric CO2 at 560 ppm and
provides an avenue for large-scale immediate action. The current primary
pathways to capture and separation include post-combustion,
pre-combustion, and oxyfiring methods, and each appears economically
viable today in many settings. In capture technology, the primary
research issue is cost reduction. Geological storage is accomplished
through injection into three primary storage classes: saline formations,
depleted oil and gas fields, and unmineable coal seams. In each,
multiple trapping mechanisms prevent the return of CO2 to the surface.
In storage technology, the primary issues are uncertainty and risk
reduction, which is partly inherent in subsurface work. 

To effectively reduce global GHG emissions, commerical CCS deployment is
likely to require 1000's of large volume injection facilities
distributed globally with very low percentages of leakage. This
immediately raises questions of injection scale, which in turn prompts
scientific and technical questions regarding capacity, storage
mechanisms, site effectiveness, and potential risks to private and
public stakeholders. Additional science and technology is required to
develop the operational protocols needed to successfully deploy CCS at
scale. This work can be conducted parallel to large and carefully
executed early deployment.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

Julio received his B.S and M.S. degrees from M.I.T., followed by a Ph.D.
at the Univ. So. California. After graduation, he worked for five years
as a senior research scientist in Houston, first at Exxon and later
ExxonMobil. He next worked as a research scientist at the Univ. of
Maryland, affiliated with the Joint Global Change Research Institute
(JGCRI) at the Univ. of Maryland, and the Colorado Energy Research
Institute at Colorado School of Mines. In his new appointment as head of
the Carbon Management Program for Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, he leads initiatives and research into carbon capture,
carbon storage, and fossil fuel recovery and utilization. In this role,
he has submitted Congressional testimony for the US Senate, US House,
and State Assemblies of California, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. He is
published in Foreign Affairs and the New York Times, and worked with the
EPA, USGS, many private companies, and Dept. of Energy. He was invited
by MIT to joint their team on the Future of Coal Energy Report and
helped assemble the National Petroleum Council report on the future of
oil and gas in the US. His research interests include carbon
sequestration, underground coal gasification, hydrocarbon systems,
deep-water depositional systems, basin & range tectonics and
sedimentation, sequence stratigraphy, and landslide physics. A native of
Rhode Island, he has worked in CA, WA, UT, WY, CO, Spain, Ireland, the
North Sea, Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela, Azerbaijan, and Australia

*************************************************

Upcoming Forum: April 19th, 2007

J.B. Straubel, CTO Tesla Motors

***************************************************

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

http://www.parc.com/about/directions.html   

---------------------------------------------------------

PARC (Palo Alto Research Center Inc.)

Phone: (650) 812-4000

3333 Coyote Hill Rd

Palo Alto, CA 94304

http://www.parc.com <http://www.parc.com/>   

---------------------------------------------------------

PAST FORUMS: Many of our past forums are available at
http://www.parc.com/events/forum/archive.php  

---------------------------------------------------------

Subscribing:

If this message has been forwarded to you and you would like to receive
PARC Forum announcements, you may subscribe online at

http://www.parc.com/contact/subscribe.html   

---------------------------------------------------------

Unsubscribing:

If you would like to stop receiving Forum announcements please send
email to [email-masked] specifying the e-mail address to be unsubscribed
and the distribution list from which you would like to be removed.