Subject: CIO Insider: The Million Dollar CIOs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:11:47 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
July 5, 2007

Who are the Million Dollar CIOs?  

Janco Associates' new salary survey reveals numbers 
across the board and highlights a baker's dozen of CIOs 
with million-plus compensation. (Hey, why aren't *you*
on this list?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9447/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. How One CIO Escaped E-Mail Attachment Hell
2. Natural Stupidity and Computers
3. Why the iPhone Being Cool Matters
4. The Dark Side of Web 2.0
5. Brazil Sambas onto Offshore Outsourcing Stage
6. Abolish The United States Department of Education
7. The Open Source Sprint: Wrap Up 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Red Hat

Dynamic IT: Expand Your Capabilities with Red Hat Open Source

Every CIO faces a dilemma--how do I do more with less?  This paper 
helps you assess how a virtualized enterprise IT environment can 
help you find innovative ways to improve flexibility, response 
speed, and asset utilization.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9448/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. How One CIO Escaped E-Mail Attachment Hell

The CIO at an insurance company found a network appliance 
to help sift through chunky attachments before they reach 
end-users. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9449/0/

2. Natural Stupidity and Computers

We are of course all aware of the delicate problem posed 
by the many stupid individuals in our midst. However, 
it is also a deeper problem, namely that in certain 
respects we are stupid generically, as a species, just 
because contemporary environments are so different from 
those in which our brains evolved. This maladaptiveness 
means that our brains are not adapted to see or even 
understand the right answers to many important questions 
affecting us.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9450/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Acorn Systems

Understand and Manage the Value of Information Technology

In many large organizations, annual IT spending has escalated 
into millions of dollars - billions for the largest organizations. 
With such a large portion of budget allocation, CFOs and CIOs 
want to ensure that IT organizations are managed in the most 
cost-effective manner. Now, IT organizations must put IT services 
in terms that are bought and consumed - in other words, they must 
create IT value.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9451/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Why the iPhone Being Cool Matters

Says Christopher Lynch: Apple's release of the iPhone 
demonstrates, yet again, why being cool matters when 
pushing new technology onto users. Its success in the 
consumer space offer lessons for businesses.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9452/0/

4. The Dark Side of Web 2.0

There's a right way and a wrong way to do Web 2.0. 
Unfortunately, says Bernard Golden, too many companies 
are finding the wrong way. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9453/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Colubris

Future-Proofing Your WLAN for Next-Generation Voice, 
Video and Data Applications

As they add voice and other multimedia applications to the wireless 
LAN (WLAN), many enterprises are discovering that their wireless 
infrastructure is not future-proof. In this white paper, you’ll 
learn about design considerations for building a WLAN that can 
accommodate the bandwidth, QoS and security requirements of demanding 
multimedia applications. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9454/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Brazil Sambas onto Offshore Outsourcing Stage

Areas around Rio, São Paulo emerge as less costly 
alternative to India, other destinations, for applications 
work. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9455/0/

6. Abolish The United States Department of Education

A month ago at a Wall Street Journal conference, Gary 
Beach asked Senator John McCain to, should he be elected 
president, abolish the US Department of Education. Maybe
it isn't a surprise that McCain was unenthusiastic about
the suggestion. Yet, says Beach, the overwhelming tenor 
of the comments to his "Boiling the Frog" entry suggests 
the US system of education is broken, out of touch with 
reality and is really operating to the tune of "No Child 
Left Alive" instead "No Child Left Behind."

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9456/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Trend Micro

2007 Virtual Security Summit: Protecting Your Enterprise: 
Now and Into the Future

As new threats emerge, how will you secure your business from 
financial risks and costly downtime? On June 7, join experts from 
CSO Magazine and Trend Micro to learn about security trends, 
strategies and best practices.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/8751/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. The Open Source Sprint: Wrap Up

Esther Schindler spent last week participating in an 
open source "sprint," in which developers and doc writers
rushed to create great content management software in a
short period of time. She came home with a few Lessons 
Learned.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9457/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests SUSE
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9360/0/

2. Soft Skills for CIOs and Aspiring CIOs: Four Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9361/0/

3. Blog Post: The Next Bubble is Here
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9362/0/

4. Source Code Management Systems: Trends, Analysis and Best Features
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9363/0/

5. Review: kwikSynCh Charger Offers Affordable Relief from Cable Chaos
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9364/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Microsoft

Enabling the Infoworker:  How Thought Leaders from Avaya 
and Microsoft Envision Unified Communications 

The growing number of communications options is actually negatively 
impacting interactions.  But unified communications is poised to 
turn that all around.  Join thought leaders from Avaya, Microsoft 
and IDC as we explore its potential impact on your business. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/9458/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/961270/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].