Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Shrouds/stays

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:00:46 EDT

Boy, in the Northeast, I don't think it is uncommon for vessels to have  
shrouds and stays nearly thirty years old.  The short sailing season here  and the 
cold go a long way to preserving everything.
 
My originals were just about twenty years old when I replaced them and from  
what I could tell, in very good condition.  These had thimbled eyes with  
swags, unlike the studs that I have now.  Except for my furler where I need  to 
use a stud on the forestay, I wish I still had the eyes.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 8/15/2007 7:06:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

First,  thanks to all who made suggestions on my keel winch problem (cable 
not clamped  to winch drum).  I have simply pulled the cable through a hole in 
the  side of the drum and attached a cable clamp to it that won't fit through 
the  hole. It's not held tightly against the side of the drum, but at least I 
won't  have to go swimming anymore to push the cable back through the  tube.

Second, with all of the recent discussions on metal  fatigue/replacing parts, 
is there any way to tell how old/fatigued shrouds and  stays are? I have no 
idea when or if the PO replaced  them.

Thanks,
David Prudden
s/k #10577
Marion,  MA

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour