Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:18:50 -0400

Wow, how'd they do it this fast ?!?
 
My new two-year boat registration paperwork (and wallet-size card) arrived
in the today's mail, less than 24 hours after I spoke with David, the state
boat registration bureau chief!  I talked with him only yesterday, at the
close of his business day no less.
 
The outboard information is corrected on it to show the new Honda 8hp motor;
and its serial number is also listed on the new form and card.
 
Gratus -- no charge or fee involved.
 
Sometimes government -- both a state bureaucracy and the federal post office
-- can be amazingly efficient and surprisingly quick!  I'm pleasantly
amazed.
 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chip Ford
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:44 PM
To: C22 LIST
Subject: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

A short while ago we had a discussion about someone's stolen outboard motor
in Florida.  I did a little research back then, posted the Florida statute
pertaining to outboard motors, and offered my suggestions.
 
During the course of that research, I discovered that here in Massachusetts
our outboards are listed on our boat registrations -- and that my new 2-year
registration and sticker that arrived over the winter still listed my '85
Tohatsu, not my new last summer 2006 Honda.  I've been meaning to look into
that ever since.  For some reason, I've suddenly somehow found the time!
 
I just got off the phone with my buddy and favorite bureaucrat in Boston,
David -- registration bureau chief, Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife &
Environmental Law Enforcement for Massachusetts.  He updated my information
over the phone, added it to the state's computer system, and is mailing me a
new registration certificate showing it.  While I had him on the line, as
usual I picked his mind for more.  I explained our recent discussion, and
here's what I learned:
 
Each state is on its own concerning outboards, with its own state statutes
or lack thereof.  The most strigent state (Georgia) requires outboards to be
titled.  David suspects, and I concurred, that some high-ranking politician
one day had his outboard stolen, got POed, and got a new law passed
forthwith.  Here the state boat registration agency requests the information
and keeps it; the information is passed on to the national NCIC computer
system -- "for whatever that's worth," David added.  (I love this guy -- as
much a realist, a cynic, as me!)
 
My motor type/description is included on the registration certificate
(wallet-size card), but not the serial number.  That is kept by his agency,
if provided -- and updated -- and is passed on to the NCIC system.  It's
valuable only if someone wants to later cross-check it.  Real World; for all
intent it's useless, David advised, but it's a start.  It's there in the
files, at least here in Massachusetts.
 
He concluded that, for the most part outboards are perceived as
inconsequential -- not enough value to legislate, never mind enforce.  His
agency doesn't have a large enough budget to chase down stolen boats, never
mind stolen outboards.  When they find either, it's more by chance and
serendipity than investigation.
 
But at least here, the serial numbers are -- or can be -- registered; the
victims of theft can be located and notified of recovery, if that should
happen to occur.  That's a start.  Not by much, but better than nothing.
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

---

From: "Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:20:03 -0400

MessageMaybe they just know who you are, Chip.  They'd do no less for a Kennedy, also, I am sure! (smirk)

Jon Larson
Chocowinity, NC
2005 Swing Keel Catalina 22 Sport
Sail# 15574
Cat's Paw
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Chip Ford 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 6:18 PM
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

  My new two-year boat registration paperwork (and wallet-size card) arrived in the today's mail, less than 24 hours after I spoke with David, the state boat registration bureau chief!  I talked with him only yesterday, at the close of his business day no less.

  The outboard information is corrected on it to show the new Honda 8hp motor; and its serial number is also listed on the new form and card.

  Sometimes government -- both a state bureaucracy and the federal post office -- can be amazingly efficient and surprisingly quick!  I'm pleasantly amazed.

  Chip Ford --

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chip Ford
  Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:44 PM
  To: C22 LIST
  Subject: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

  A short while ago we had a discussion about someone's stolen outboard motor in Florida.  I did a little research back then, posted the Florida statute pertaining to outboard motors, and offered my suggestions.

  During the course of that research, I discovered that here in Massachusetts our outboards are listed on our boat registrations -- and that my new 2-year registration and sticker that arrived over the winter still listed my '85 Tohatsu, not my new last summer 2006 Honda.  I've been meaning to look into that ever since.  For some reason, I've suddenly somehow found the time!

  I just got off the phone with my buddy and favorite bureaucrat in Boston, David -- registration bureau chief, Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife & Environmental Law Enforcement for Massachusetts.  He updated my information over the phone, added it to the state's computer system, and is mailing me a new registration certificate showing it.  While I had him on the line, as usual I picked his mind for more.  I explained our recent discussion, and here's what I learned:

  Each state is on its own concerning outboards, with its own state statutes or lack thereof.  The most strigent state (Georgia) requires outboards to be titled.  David suspects, and I concurred, that some high-ranking politician one day had his outboard stolen, got POed, and got a new law passed forthwith.  Here the state boat registration agency requests the information and keeps it; the information is passed on to the national NCIC computer system -- "for whatever that's worth," David added.  (I love this guy -- as much a realist, a cynic, as me!)

  My motor type/description is included on the registration certificate (wallet-size card), but not the serial number.  That is kept by his agency, if provided -- and updated -- and is passed on to the NCIC system.  It's valuable only if someone wants to later cross-check it.  Real World; for all intent it's useless, David advised, but it's a start.  It's there in the files, at least here in Massachusetts.

  He concluded that, for the most part outboards are perceived as inconsequential -- not enough value to legislate, never mind enforce.  His agency doesn't have a large enough budget to chase down stolen boats, never mind stolen outboards.  When they find either, it's more by chance and serendipity than investigation.

  But at least here, the serial numbers are -- or can be -- registered; the victims of theft can be located and notified of recovery, if that should happen to occur.  That's a start.  Not by much, but better than nothing.

  Chip Ford --
  Marblehead, Mass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  No virus found in this incoming message.
  Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
  Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.0/818 - Release Date: 5/25/2007 12:32 PM

---

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 20:22:45 -0400

"I knew John Kennedy.  Senator, you are no John Kennedy."  -- Sen. Lloyd
Bensen, to Sen. Dan Quayle; 1988 vice-presidential campaign debate.
 
Nor am I, or even a Teddy.  But to a degree, I guess I am infamous in
Taxachusetts circles.  But that doesn't explain the USPS delivery.  I'm
still impressed.
 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jon
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 7:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

Maybe they just know who you are, Chip.  They'd do no less for a Kennedy,
also, I am sure! (smirk)
 
Jon Larson
Chocowinity, NC

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Ford 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 6:18 PM
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] - Outboards, theft, and serial numbers

 

 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----

 

 

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

  _____  

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.0/818 - Release Date: 5/25/2007
12:32 PM