Subject: CIO Insider: Environmental Sustainability and Increased Profits... Yes, BOTH

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:13:04 -0500

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
April 3, 2007

Leading Your IT Department Toward Environmental Sustainability and Increased Profits

Profitability and environmental consciousness are 
increasingly going hand in hand. That means that your 
organization's future is more and more becoming dependent 
on how you address your environmental sustainability. Now 
is the time to start "greening" your IT department, from 
cleaning up your data center to reducing overall emissions 
and improving your hardware recycling efforts. We offer a
collection of how-to guides, research and analysis, news, 
advice and opinion features, and two quizzes, as well as a 
data center energy-management tool meant to help you 
decrease associated spending and work to improve overall 
sustainability. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6904/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. CIO.com has a Fresh New Look! We're So Proud...
2. The ABCs of Agile Development
3. Dell's New Bet on Linux: Five Reasons to Take Note
4. An IT Executive's Guide to Compensation and Termination

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Interactive Intelligence 

Research Report: All-in-One versus Multi-Point Contact Center 
Solutions
Contact Center managers, IT departments and CTOs prefer a single, 
all-in-one source for all contact center (and enterprise) technology 
needs.  A key additional consideration is that their chosen single-source 
vendor be able to provide best-in-class functionality.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6905/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. CIO.com has a Fresh New Look, and a new Advice & Opinion Online Community

When you next visit CIO.com (and we hope that's soon!), 
you'll notice that we've really cleaned up the place. We've 
made our stories easier to find by topic (ERP, management, 
open source and many more) or by type (such as advice, 
how-to, careers and news). It's prettier. It's more robust. 
And we've done some especially cool stuff with our Advice 
and Opinion section, where you can now rate your favorite 
articles and even post your own rants, news, best practices 
and questions. We're awfully proud to launch the new CIO.com.
Please let us know if that pride is earned. (And since it's 
brand-new, also let us know if you find any mistakes!) 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6906/0/

2. The ABCs of Agile Development

Agile programming strategy can help reduce application 
costs, improve application quality and ensure everyone 
is involved in the creation process. We explain the basics 
to help you get started with iterations, extreme programming, 
Scrum and other related programming methodologies.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6907/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Oracle 

Oracle's Siebel CRM On Demand delivers a comprehensive, strategic 
solution for sales, marketing and service, along with powerful 
analytics and embedded virtual call center capabilities. Built 
from the ground up for ease of use and administration by business 
users, Siebel CRM On Demand delivers rapid time to business value. 
And because it's from Oracle; the #1 provider of CRM, organizations 
are assured of receiving the services, expertise, and commitment 
they need for CRM success. Thanks to a continued investment in 
technology, Siebel CRM On Demand can meet your company's needs 
today and support your business as it grows and evolves. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6908/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Dell's New Bet on Linux: Five Reasons to Take Note

Dell's offered Linux on corporate models before, but the 
decision to try it on consumer boxes now (they tried once 
before without big success) should make you sit up and 
notice. Laurianne McLaughlin explains why.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6909/0/

4. An IT Executive's Guide to Compensation and Termination

Whether it's starting salary, benefits, raises or congenial 
terms in the case of termination, you want to take control 
of the earnings part of your career. It can be tricky if 
not downright unpleasant. This compendium of insights, 
experience and advice will guide you in your progress, from
the initial contact about the job to the final goodbye. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6910/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. An Executive's Guide to Compensation and Termination
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6911/0/ 

2. How Green Data Centers Save Money
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6912/0/

3. The Rise of Service-Oriented IT
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6913/0/

4. How to Negotiate an Employment Contract
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6914/0/

5. Getting Ready for Windows Vista Deployment 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6915/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/2633/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by ColdSpark 

Merrill Lynch Replaces Legacy Email Backbone with the ColdSpark 
SparkEngine Mail Transport Platform for Global Mail Operations

Merrill Lynch required an enterprise-wide email infrastructure 
upgrade to support the expanding needs of their various lines 
of businesses. In addition, requirements related to regulatory 
compliance drove the need to explore more scalable approaches 
to email handling and archiving. This case study discusses how 
Merrill Lynch leveraged ColdSpark’s SparkEngine Platform to 
modernize their email systems. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/6916/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to stop getting CIO Insider,
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/u?id=139199U&o=730344&l=cio_insider

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences, 
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/2635/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/2633/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Lori Kehoe at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/2636/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/730344/139199/2637/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007 All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].