Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [TEST]

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:38:31 -0400

Yes, apparently the list was down again.  I began to suspect that it was at
7:41 last night when I sent a subscribe/unsubscribe command to the Mystery
majordomo server and didn't get a response by an hour later:  usually that
only takes minutes.  Uh, oh.  So I resent the message at 8:43 pm, with the
same result half an hour later.  So next I sent a 'who' command (requesting
a list of all subscribers to the C22 list from Mystery), which also usually
takes only a few minutes to get a response.  Nothing again, grrr.
 
At 9:14 pm I sent a message to Gabe at Mystery, cc'ing it to his other
(non-Mystery) e-mail address.  It bounced back in about five minutes,
"Connection timed out."  I tried resending it, but got the same response ten
minutes later.  It was time to pick up the phone and call Gabe at home
again, damn.
 
For someone who's not supposed to have their (home) phone number, his wife
Audrey sure is gracious to me when I call there -- in fact we seem to be
becoming friends now.

ME:  Hi Audrey, this is Chip Ford again . . . I hate to bother you again,
but I think the problem's back, the lists are down again.
 
AUDREY:  Aw no.  Gabe isn't here again either.
 
ME:  He's not at another Jazz concert I hope . . . ?  [That's where he was
over last weekend; he plays the sax in a group.]
 
AUDREY:  Yup, the concert runs all week.  He went back after racing home
from it Saturday after your call.
 
ME:  Aw geez, and I just wrote in my message to him that bounced back, "At
least it didn't crash again over another weekend, buddy!"
 
AUDREY:  Hang loose, Chip.  Let me see if I can reach him on his cell phone.

At about 10:00 pm I called it a night and hit the sack.  There was nothing
more I could do from my end.
 
In one of his and my post-weekend exchanges he confided that last weekend
was the first time he'd ever left home without his laptop, so had to race
back in the middle of the night after Audrey had passed along my phone call
on Saturday.  I hope he had it with him this time -- but the logjam broke up
shortly after 1:00 am this morning, everything is up and running again,
whatever he had to do.  When I awoke and checked, everything came in
big-time.  I just did a test 'who' command and the response arrived back in
minutes, as usual -- so everything's working properly again.
 
I've got to give Gabe credit -- immense credit! -- for taking care of his
clients quickly when we have problems and reach him with them, regardless of
his situation.  I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't researched and located
his home phone number, as Mystery doesn't give it out:  we're supposed to
deal with Mystery through e-mail.  That's fine -- until the system crashes
and there's no other way to let them know!
 
But the poor bugger's got to be pulling out his hair at this point in his
getaway vacation concert week.  As he said in one of our recent exhanges:
"Why, why, WHY did this have to happen the one day in ... years, at this
point ... when I'm out of e-mail contact for 24 hours? It just figures."
 
Gabe's apparently taken a week away to participate in his passion, jazz
saxophone -- and of course this is when his listserver has decided to burp,
hiccup, and choke.  It probably runs seamlessly the rest of the year:
Murphy's Law in action it appears.
 
But it's got me thinking . . .  More on that soon, but I've got a vacation
coming up too.  Surely Murphy's watching me too!
 
Chip Ford, List Owner / Administrator
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jon Golliher
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina-22] [TEST]

Is the list down?   I sent a post at 10:30 pm and haven't seen it or others
for quite a while.
 
Jon Golliher
'85  SK  12712
Happy Daze
Anderson,IN