Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:07:12 -0400

Ideally, do this in the water, on your true waterline.  I didn't; I
guestimated.
 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Randall McPeak
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 9:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]

Cool...
something to do this weekend!
 
Thanks Chip.

Randy McPeak--Deltona, FL

'86 SK #13470 "SEA 22"

 http://chipford.com/list/members.htm#Randy_McPeak

  _____  

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:45:58 -0400

Randy, I wrote:  "So I set about drilling every compartment out at its
lowest point . . ."
 
This is easily determined by pouring half a cup of water or so into each
compartment, seeing where it settles, then sponging it up and drilling
there.
 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Randall McPeak
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 8:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]

Perfectly answered sir.
Thank you.

Randy McPeak--Deltona, FL

'86 SK #13470 "SEA 22"

 http://chipford.com/list/members.htm#Randy_McPeak

  _____  

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:16:55 -0400

Randy, bear in mind that my previous experience came from
<http://chipford.com/interest.htm> restoring big old wooden boats for some
ten years; so when I approached restoration of "Chip Ahoy" twenty years
later that was my point of reference, "expertise" dare I say.
 
All our old wooden boats had limber holes.
 
http://en.mimi.hu/boating/limber_hole.html
http://www.m-i-link.com/dictionary/default.asp?term=limber+hole
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/internal_hull_accessibility.htm
 
When we almost sunk the "Even Song," one of the reasons was clogged limber
holes through the ribs at the keelsom running the length of the 48-feet.
Seawater wasn't reaching the bilge pump, it accumulated between the ribs in
the bilge.
 
So when I  <http://chipford.com/bilge_pump.htm> installed a bilge pump in
"Chip Ahoy" (which to my amazement didn't have one or any indication that it
ever had!) the next thing I checked for was limber holes, and found none
anywhere, in any of the compartments.  So I set about drilling every
compartment out at its lowest point, so any water that accumulated would
drain into the bilge, reach the pump and be discharged overboard.  I drilled
a 3/8" or 1/2" hole in every one of them (don't recall the exact size for
sure, but big enough to drain).
 
Many (even most) on an old list discussion group told me this was
unnecessary, that C22s are designed to hold water in those compartments in
the event of a leak.  But C22s also "are designed" without bilge pumps,
which is one of the dumbest things I've ever come across.  Screw Catalina
Yachts, I know better -- been there, done that.
 
Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe all my work was unnecessary.  Personally I don't
give a damn; I know in an unexpected bang and leak, "Chip Ahoy" can handle
it -- at least until its two batteries take their last gasp.  If nothing
else, it'll buy me more time -- until I can find and patch the leak, or
until my Mayday call brings rescue at least closer.
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com <http://www.chipford.com/> 
http://chipford.com/list/members.htm#Chip_Ford

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Randall McPeak
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 7:34 AM
To: C22 Discussion Group
Subject: [Catalina-22] [Tech Tips]

Chip,
The other day you mentioned drilling holes in the various lockers for
draining one to the other, then to the bilge for pumping out.
I just noticed my '86 has all these wonderful lockers under seatees and
such, but none of them can drain to the bilge. Short of installing pumps in
each locker, I see this as a possible problem in a "too much water coming
in" kind of way... 
Care to explain how/what you did for planning and executing the drain system
in Chip Ahoy?
Thanks.

Randy McPeak--Deltona, FL

'86 SK #13470 "SEA 22"

 http://chipford.com/list/members.htm#Randy_McPeak

  _____  

Make your little one a shining star! Shine on!
<http://www.reallivemoms.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us>  

  _____  

More photos; more messages; more whatever - Get MORE with Windows LiveT
HotmailR. NOW with 5GB storage. Get more!
<http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migrati
on_HM_mini_5G_0907>  

  _____  

Make your little one a shining star! Shine
<http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us> on!