Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:55:23 EDT

I know nothing of Volvo outboards.  Years ago I had a Volvo inboard  and 
absolutely no mechanic would work on it and parts were next to  nonexistant!
 
Greg  Nelson
#5953
SOBB TOO
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,  AZ

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:54:34 -0400

George, your buddy Willy from Maine called yesterday.  He'll be by this
evening on his way down to NC to pick up my old Volvo-Penta Sail 9hp parts
motor.
 
Chip Ford --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chip Ford
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

Wow George, what a perfect situation!  I was thinking after I offered it to
you that perhaps we could find one of our friends heading south in the
fall/winter who could pick it up here and drop it off somewhere close to you
in North Carolina for pickup.  It yours/his if you want it.  Just stop by
and grab it.  (Remind me to give you the brochures too.)  If I had a decent
"parts" motor who knows?  It might still be running.  (Remember what I said
last night about "northern" outboards -- it likely has relatively low-hours
on it.  I know that "Chip Ahoy" and that motor sat for quite a few years
before I bought it.)
 
I'm about 6-7 miles off I-95 (the Rte. 114 East exit all the way into
Marblehead), so it wouldn't be much of a detour in a Maine-to-NC drive.
 
Chip Ford --
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of George & Deb Temple
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

Chip, thanks for your offer.  I forewarded to my friend Willy, the owner of
the boat.  He lives in Bremen, ME and is coming this way next month, so he
might want to stop by and pick it up.  I'll let you know.
George Temple
Pearl
1978 Swing keel #8063
Lake Sequoia, NC 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Ford 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:04 PM
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

A 1976 Volvo Penta "9.0 Sail" (made in Sweden) came with "Chip Ahoy" but
never worked.  I took it to the local outboard service shop and was told to
trash it -- parts are no longer available.  It's been sitting (upright!)
alongside my house ever since.  I bought used the 1985 Tohatsu to replace
it, then the new Honda to replace to Tohatsu -- and with the new Honda I'm
right back to where I started!   ;-)
 
It's still sitting out there -- leaning against my house upright for all
these years:  If you're ever looking for a parts motor, it's yours.  I've
got the sales brochure with specs too if you'd like it.  Everything but the
fuel mixture!
 
Chip Ford --
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of George & Deb Temple
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:43 PM
To: C22 List
Subject: [Catalina-22] [Tech] Volvo Penta Outboard

Thanks Bayard, Glenn & Eric for advising on new lines.
 
Has anyone had experience with a 9HP Volvo Penta outboard.  I think they
were made from 1973 - 1976 or so, but I have been unable to find much info
about them.  Amazingly, after adding fresh gas and after a lot of pulling
the one that came with my friend's boat actually started despite having sat
idle for 13 years.  Specifically, I would like to know the recommended oil
to gas ratio.  I seem to remember that some older outboards needed 25 to 1
instead of the 50 to 1 that is now common.
 
Again, thanks in advance.
George Temple
Pearl
1978 Swing keel #8063
Lake Sequoia, NC