Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] A Grim Vision ...?

From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:12:53 +0200

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 07:37:37AM -0400, Robert Bradbury wrote:

>    What people aren't generally aware of is that more ideal "natural"
>    photosynthetic systems can be pushed to 6-8% efficiency in
>    photobioreactors.  So the solution for maximal output (either for food

There are advantages in controlled eutrophication of large bodies
of water, versus highly controlled environments.

>    or fuel) is solar ponds using a mix of photosynthetic microorganisms.
>    What you want is photosynthetic spirulina for food and photosynthetic
>    yeast for alcohol.  It is worth noting that something like a dozen

Some microalgae contain up to 50% of oil, which is suitable for biodiesel.
Most important: unlike ethanol, oil does not have to be destilled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture

>    different species of photosynthetic microorganisms have been sequenced
>    and the information is sitting in NCBI or DOE databases.  Constructing
>    solar ponds has significantly lower technology inputs, investment
>    requirements and bureaucracy and legal headaches compared with nuclear
>    reactors.  Also worth noting is that one can do it on land which may
>    or will be unsuitable for natural agricultural production.

Or no land at all, shallow lagunes. The Salton Sea is an often cited
model.

-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat