Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [general]

From: "Wes Iiames" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:37:15 -0400

That's exactly how semi trailers are aligned.  They strip the wheel-ends to
the
spindles and run a tape measure from the kingpin to the end of the spindle
on
each side and there are cam bolts on each side to tweak it the last few
fractions
of an inch.

I'd be sure to take the wheels off and measure to the bearing caps/buddies.
I wouldn't count on the tire edges being a good measuring point because
they may be slightly out of round, or not exactly the same tread width (I'm
talking eighths and quarters of an inch).

wes

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Bob Keim
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [general]

I have never put 10% on any hitch intentionally.  That would be nearly
300 pounds on a C22.  I don't know what kind of tow vehicle you have,
but 300 pounds is a lot on the rear bumper.  I'd suggest something
around 100 pounds to start.  If the boat has any tendency to sway, add
some tongue weight.

You can (and probably should) check the wheel alignment by a number of
different techniques.  Dennis Slayton, C22 NSA technical advisor says to
run a tape measure from the hitch to the axle on each side and make them
the same distance from the hitch.

bob

Ken G. Brown wrote:
> >From what I have read, there should be about 10% on the hitch tongue as a
rule of thumb, and adjusting the axle position may be the best way to
achieve that.
> <http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp>
>
> Ken
>
> Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
> 1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764 - CTYH4764F888 - Sail# 103
>
>
>