Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Anchors

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 18:06:24 -0400

For the first two years I owned "Chip Ahoy," I used a 14 pound Danforth as
my primary anchor. (I've got a 9 pound Danforth with 6 feet of 1/4" chain
and about 100 feet of rode stowed beneath the cockpit sole as a
backup/lunch-hook.)  For my second Maine coast cruise, I
<http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_22.htm#delta> changed over to a 14 pound
Lewmar Delta (Simpson-Lawrence) Fast Set anchor.

With the new Delta, I replaced the anchor chain from the previous 10 feet of
1/4" chain to 20 feet of 3/8" chain; the 200 feet of 5/16" rode with 3/8"
rode.

I now keep the larger Danforth along with its chain and rode stowed under
the v-berth in the "anchor locker," beneath the working anchor rode that
comes below through the
<http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_15.htm#deck_pipe> new deck pipe.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [ <mailto:[email-masked]>
mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ken G. Brown
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Anchors

Speaking of anchors, I've come to understand that a second anchor would be a
good idea. My boat came with a CQR type and I'm wondering what to get as a
second one. What  weight? I will not have a common type of bottom to anchor
on as I want to sail in a variety of places, from local lakes to the West
Coast of Canada.

I've seen 16, 22 and 27 lb Bruce style galvanized or stainless anchors on
eBay. Would one of them be a good choice?

What length and size of chain and rode would be a good choice?

Thx for any tips.

Ken Brown
1988 Swing #14764, Alberta, Canada

---

From: Tom Wetsel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:28:08 -0700 (PDT)

Sail magazine did an article on both the CQR and Bruce type anchors in hard sand, both roll and come out realitively quickly.  The 'Fortress Anchor was rated high and is not as heavy as the CQR or Bruce.  I own both a bruce and CQR but would consider a different anchor after seeing the tests.

Asking people about anchors is somewhat equal to asking which pickup is better, Ford or Chev?

"Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]> wrote: Speaking of anchors, I've come to understand that a second anchor would be a good idea. My boat came with a CQR type and I'm wondering what to get as a second one. What  weight? I will not have a common type of bottom to anchor on as I want to sail in a variety of places, from local lakes to the West Coast of Canada.

I've seen 16, 22 and 27 lb Bruce style galvanized or stainless anchors on eBay. Would one of them be a good choice?

Thx for any tips.

Ken Brown

---

From: Paul Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:07:36 -0400

Chip, what do you using below to catch/hold the chain and rode?
paul

>
>I now keep the larger Danforth along with its chain and rode stowed 
>under the v-berth in the "anchor locker," beneath the working anchor 
>rode that comes below through the 
><http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_15.htm#deck_pipe>new deck pipe.
>
>Chip Ford --
>Marblehead, Mass.
>Chip Ahoy website:  <http://www.chipford.com>www.chipford.com
>
>
>

-- 
Paul Osborne
University of Rochester
Engineering & Technical Services
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
201 Hopeman Bldg River Campus
Rochester, New York 14627
585-275-5226
[email-masked]