Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] (tech) (Aft Gooseneck)

From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:42:10 +0000

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the advice on taps and screws. I guess you're recommending I 
jettison the sheet metal screws provided and get machine screws? What's 
strange is that the parts list for the single-line kit lists "16 #10 x 1/2" 
Pan Head Machine Screws", but the 16 screws provided don't look like what I 
know as machine screws - they taper to a point and have very wide threads 
... machine(d) sheetmetal screws I'd say (they look like all of the original 
equipment screws on the boom). As the boom was sitting on the living room 
carpet for a few days (my wife made me put it away yesterday) I noticed that 
the boom vang eye strap was distorting and starting to pull the aft screw 
out. The more you look the more you find ....

I wonder if the "ears" or various appendages of the "goosebutt" could catch 
on the back stay while gybing ...  :-)

It's supposed to get sunny and warm soon, and I may launch the WB10C sailing 
dinghy on Crooked Lake for a test ride this weekend. Depending on the wind 
I'll either raise the sail or drop a fishing line. We visited the Oden Fish 
Hatchery there a few weeks ago and saw about 4,000 breeding Brown & Rainbow 
Trout in tanks and their many more thousands of fingerlings nearly ready for 
April release. Some find their way into Crooked Lake.

Robert Bemben
Bliss Twp., Michigan
1991 C22 wing keel
Sail # 15185
"Jib Dance"

>From: "Thomas Holz" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] (tech) (Aft Gooseneck)
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:05:43 -0400
>
>Good Evening Robert,
>                          I'm hoping that some folks down in Texas, or 
>Louis P., will be the " test pilots" for the aft gooseneck, ( I think I 
>shall call it " Goosebutt ") .  I believe it will be strong enough for the 
>conditions that I sail in.  If it does work out for me this year, I'll give 
>it to some friends who own metal fab shop ,and have them machine a super 
>solid one over the winter.  I've done my single line reefing similar to 
>yours.  I started at the original cheek block by drilling a hole in the aft 
>end of the cheek block between the two mounting screws.  I then threaded 
>the reefing line into that hole  ( I threaded it from the inside of  the 
>block  and the sheave )and made a knot in the end of the line on the 
>outside of the block, and then pulled it down and tight, and around the 
>bottom of the boom.  I then passed the line up and into the port side 
>reefing grommet and back down to the aft cheek block.  Into the block it 
>goes, and out of the block it comes, going forward through a series of eye 
>straps, and into another cheek block on the starboard side ( at pretty much 
>the same location as yours). From that block, up it goes and into the 
>forward reefing grommet, and down the port side to yet another cheek block 
>on the forward port side of the boom.  From there it travels down to a 
>block at the mast plate, then over to the deck organizer, over the deck, 
>and into the spinlock.
>         As far as drilling holes for mounting things; Home Depot sells a 
>packaged Irwin drill bit with a tap for the size holes that you will need. 
>A #10-24 will do for most everything, but the 1/4" drill bit/tap combo will 
>also be helpful.  Then you can pick up some much needed ss screws in the 
>screw department, 10-24 size screws with different head styles are good to 
>have on hand.  Also pick up some threadlocker type of goop.  Have fun 
>Robert, and the photos will be coming soon, Jay
>
>Thomas Jay Holz
>Amsterdam,NY
>1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
>CTYH5021E989
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:22 AM
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] (tech) (Aft Gooseneck)
>
>
>>Hi Jay,
>>
>>That's an elaborate solution, but I understand why you don't want to mess 
>>with the casting to avoid weakening it. Hopefully the ears will stand up 
>>to blocks possibly banging into them, twisting loads, etc. They should be 
>>much stronger than a simple eye strap, right? You'll be the 'test pilot' 
>>here, I guess!
>>
>>I'm just installing the CD single-line reef kit. My boat came with an aft 
>>cheek block for the aft reef cringle, so mainly I'm working on the forward 
>>end. The single line runs from eye strap on port side at aft end of boom 
>>up thru aft mainsail reef cringle, down to aft check block on starboard 
>>side, forward to check block mounted on boom as close to (forward!) 
>>gooseneck as possible, up to hook (supplied with kit) hanging off forward 
>>reef cringle, down and forward to "eye strap with ferrule" mounted on 
>>stbd. side of mast, down to block shackled to mast step, across cabintop 
>>to deck organizer, and aft to cabintop cleat hardware (TBD; Spinlock PX? - 
>>saw one on sale at WM for $24). I now have a set of mast gates to simplify 
>>the reefing process too. The plan is to cut a second "exit" in the mast 
>>slot below the boom to permit boom & sail removal without messing with the 
>>mast gates, as suggested by the mast gate producer (via Chip Ford).
>>
>>I need to call CD today to get some better instructions ... Their info 
>>sheet says to locate aft eye strap and check block 3" from aft end of 
>>boom. Mine are 16" from aft casting to center of cheek block, and they 
>>seem right based on last year's sailing.
>>I've never mounted anything to a spar before, so I'm also wondering what 
>>size drill bit to use for the SS sheet metal screws provided. Or should I 
>>buy machine screws and tap?
>>
>>Glad to hear you just got rain - upstate NY gets enough snow in the 
>>winter. I think it's safe to breathe a big sigh of relief now for the 
>>arrival of spring ... and the boating season!
>>
>>
>>Robert Bemben
>>Bliss Twp., Michigan
>>1991 C22 wing keel
>>Sail # 15185
>>"Jib Dance"
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>From: "Thomas Holz" <[email-masked]>
>>>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>>To: <[email-masked]>
>>>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] (tech) (Aft Gooseneck)
>>>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:07:13 -0400
>>>
>>>Hi Robert,
>>>               Good point!  You are right about the water damming up. 
>>>Seeing that the gooseneck is not really sealed  completely tight to the 
>>>boom, any water should run out between the casting and the boom on the 
>>>bottom.  BUT, to add to the draining, I'm planning on drilling and 
>>>tapping a hole in the boom  just past the newly inserted gooseneck 
>>>casting.  This hole will be vertical through the boom only, not the 
>>>casting.  After the hole is tapped, I'll insert, through the bottom, a 
>>>piece of small diameter tubing that is threaded, up into the boom. This 
>>>tubing would then be screwed into the sail track groove, thus allowing 
>>>water to drain.  This would give my the ability to clean the hole if it 
>>>gets clogged . I will not drill, or file down anything more on the 
>>>gooseneck casting, other than the mounting holes. So how are you doing 
>>>your single line reefing?  I would be interested in hearing about it, if 
>>>you wouldn't mind.  And, as far as the storm....well it's mostly rain! We 
>>>got lucky here....not much snow.  Take care, Jay
>>>
>>>Thomas Jay Holz
>>>Amsterdam,NY
>>>1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
>>>CTYH5021E989 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Bemben" 
>>><[email-masked]>
>>>To: <[email-masked]>
>>>Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 7:18 AM
>>>Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] (tech) (Aft Gooseneck)
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>Jay,
>>>>
>>>>I'm doing some single-line reefing work on my boom, and I took great 
>>>>interest in the "aft gooseneck casting" idea - those "ears" look like 
>>>>they would provide a natural platform for mounting blocks, and they're 
>>>>about as far aft as you can get.
>>>>
>>>>One question though: I see that the original aft boom end casting is 
>>>>shaped to drain the boom slot, while the gooseneck would seem to "dam" 
>>>>up any water in the boom slot about 1/4". Any concerns or modifications 
>>>>there?
>>>>
>>>>BTW: Good luck with your snow. I thought we had it bad when winter made 
>>>>a full comeback for the past 2 weeks in Northern Michigan, but that's 
>>>>nothing compared to a Nor'Easter!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Robert Bemben
>>>>Bliss Twp., Michigan
>>>>1991 C22 wing keel
>>>>Sail # 15185
>>>>"Jib Dance"
>>>>
>>>>>From: "Thomas Holz" <[email-masked]>
>>>>>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>>>>To: <[email-masked]>
>>>>>Subject: [Catalina-22] Catalina22 (tech) (external outhaul)
>>>>>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:06:53 -0400
>>>>>
>>>>>Hello Friends,
>>>>>                   I just wanted to thank Louis Plaisance for E-Mailing 
>>>>>pictures of his external outhaul setup to me.  Of course I can't leave 
>>>>>well enough alone, so I modified it a little bit.  I chose an external 
>>>>>outhaul over an internal design, only because I liked the way it looks, 
>>>>>and I can keep a better eye on any wear and tear.  So, what I did, was 
>>>>>to buy a gooseneck casting from CD, and replaced the original boom end 
>>>>>casting with the gooseneck.  Yes, I now have a double headed gooseneck 
>>>>>boom....It's a natural, and simplistic way to rig your external 
>>>>>outhaul, and your mainsheet rigging.  I used Louis's outhaul setup, 
>>>>>which consists of Ronstan's  series 20 blocks, a double and a triple. 
>>>>>The triple block is mounted to the new goosenecks tack pin, and the 
>>>>>double is attached to the clew grommet of the sail.   The two ends of 
>>>>>the line are cleated a short distance up the boom.  I didn't want to 
>>>>>use regular horn cleats, so I bought Sea-Dogs Clam cleats, CL236.  Like 
>>>>>Louis, my outhaul can be adjusted on either side of the boom.  My 
>>>>>mainsheet setup is hanging from the new goosenecks aft end ( where one 
>>>>>would normally put a sail track slide).  The one thing that I like 
>>>>>about this setup, is the fact that I have plenty of room for the sail 
>>>>>to slide back when the outhaul is adjusted.  When I get some more time, 
>>>>>I would like to post some photos, or you can E-Mail me, and I would be 
>>>>>happy to send some photos to you if your interested in seeing it.
>>>>>                   Jesus H.............It's freak'in snowing again! 
>>>>>Gotta go shovel!  Take care, Jay
>>>>>
>>>>>Thomas Jay Holz
>>>>>Amsterdam,NY
>>>>>1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
>>>>>CTYH5021E989
>>>>
>>>>_________________________________________________________________
>>>>Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
>>>>http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>_________________________________________________________________
>>FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! 
>>http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/
>>
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! 
http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/