Subject: [Catalina-22] (Tech) Ok, have keel off, but keel pin stuck

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:04:42 -0400

I hope this goes through because my old computer bit the dust and I haven't had time to fix it. 

My problem. I have removed the keel from my boat and now want to remove the keel pin. The darned thing is frozen in place. I bang on it with a 4 pound hand sledge using a board as a buffer to keep from flairing out the end but it just doesn't budge. Lot's of rust around the pin and I suspect some must have formed between the pin and keel in the pin hole. 

Has anybody had this problem and if so, what was the resolution?

Thanks,

George Estey
Greene, NY
C22 Hull #10300

---

From: Peter Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:44:30 -0400

George,

One of the best racers in our fleet found the same thing with his  
keel pin - locked in place.  His was not worn, so he just left it.   
He did fair and finish his keel, however.  And, as far as we can  
tell, the keel pin is still in the same shape.  He sure does win a  
lot of races.  If it's not in there crooked, you might just leave it.

Pete Snyder
Windabout - 1978 sk #8329
Lake Chickamauga, TN

On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

I hope this goes through because my old computer bit the dust and I  
haven't had time to fix it.

My problem. I have removed the keel from my boat and now want to  
remove the keel pin. The darned thing is frozen in place. I bang on  
it with a 4 pound hand sledge using a board as a buffer to keep from  
flairing out the end but it just doesn't budge. Lot's of rust around  
the pin and I suspect some must have formed between the pin and keel  
in the pin hole.

Thanks,

George Estey
Greene, NY
C22 Hull #10300

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:48:22 -0400

Let me tell ya what Dick King told me --- If it ain't broke don't fix 
it ! my pin was stuck too and I left it alone. It was still in decent 
shape. I used epoxy to make sure it was sealed.

When i re-built my keel i removed all the rust flakes with a ball peen 
hammer. A needle chipper or air hammer would work too. Once all the 
nasty stuff was off I used a steel cup wheel on my hand grinder. After 
all the rust was removed, i painted it with a rust converter. Use two 
coats of this. After the stuff dried i used formula 27 filler to fill 
in the craters and to give it a shape.

The formula 27 stuff cures quite hard. I used a cheapo belt sander from 
harbor freight and 80 grit paper. With the belt sander facing the 
length of the keel, i faired it. My keel took 5 quarts of the stuff. 
Boater world gets $27 bucks per quart.

Once i had a shape back in the keel i covered the whole thing with a 
layer of fiberglass cloth and mas brand epoxy. I added an extra layer 
in the trailing and leading edges. (BTW when i was fairing with the 
formula 27 i made the trailing edge square. I felt it would be stronger 
and am told it is faster through the water that way )

Once the glass work was done, i sanded it and put two coats of 2000e 
BARRIER COAT on, sanding between coats. Then two coats of bottom 
paint... well, three actually.

The keel is now on two dollies with a support to keep the keel with the 
pin pointing in the direction for putting it back on the boat. I will 
roll it under the boat in the near future and put it back on. I will 
use the long threaded rod method for installing.

I know ---TMI (too much information)

Good luck .... and leave the pin alone !

Bill Bell
#13784 Phoenix
87sk, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 1:04 pm
Subject: [Catalina-22] (Tech) Ok, have keel off, but keel pin stuck

haven't had
time to fix it.

My problem. I have removed the keel from my boat and now want to remove 
the keel
pin. The darned thing is frozen in place. I bang on it with a 4 pound 
hand
sledge using a board as a buffer to keep from flairing out the end but 
it just
doesn't budge. Lot's of rust around the pin and I suspect some must 
have formed
between the pin and keel in the pin hole.

Thanks,

George Estey
Greene, NY
C22 Hull #10300

________________________________________________________________________
Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and 
industry-leading spam and email virus protection.