Subject: The verdict is in

From: "Ilyse Hogue, MoveOn.org Political Action" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:31:07 -0700

Dear David,

This weekend, all the Democratic presidential candidates pledged to
address the climate crisis head-on. You joined nearly 100,000 other
members to chose former Senator John Edwards' plan as the strongest.

It's really encouraging that the candidates are taking global warming so
seriously. But frankly, it's not enough. Even with a new president
committed to stopping climate change, we're gonna need a campaign, and a
movement. After years of writing the rules, ExxonMobil and Shell won't go
along quietly. And coal companies probably won't wake up one morning and
realize that they're boiling the globe. Industry will take every chance it
gets to water down, obstruct, and delay these plans.

So today we're aiming to raise $150,000 to run ads, pay organizers, and do
the day-to-day work of changing America's climate policy and moving us
toward a green-energy future. With your help, we can make sure that when
industry pushes leaders in one direction, there's an overwhelming movement
pushing back. Can you chip in $25 today to support our campaign to stop
climate change?

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/climatethanks_onetime.html?id=10796-86329-8jIF7X&t=3

The stakes couldn't be higher: Unless the next president offers real
leadership, we'll see the effects of heating on our planet worsen in the
next 10 years--raging heat waves, epidemics, catastrophic storms, and
species extinction.

Here's the good news: At the town hall, every single candidate made a
commitment to move on the climate crisis. While John Edwards' plan got the
most support--with 33 percent of the vote by MoveOn members--Dennis
Kucinich and Hillary Clinton fought it out for second, with Barack Obama
coming in right behind them.

And folks were really enthused about some of the plans offered. Here are a
few comments on John Edwards' plan:

"A leader's biggest job is to inspire and inflame our hearts and minds to
take on whatever challenges face us...Big problems need big ideas. Crises
require passionate commitment. John Edwards seems to me to have the vision
necessary to begin healing our earth."--Kathleen F., Abbeville, SC

"All efforts at progress rest on a simple truth: the public good is more
important than any private interest. John Edwards understands this. His
emphasis on poverty and political economy interface perfectly with efforts
to combat global warming. Go Edwards!"--Jason O., Brunswick, ME

"As a resident of New Orleans, I appreciate how John Edwards understands
the close connection between Global Warming, Hurricanes, Coastal
Protection, Green Jobs, and Poverty ... all of which affect New Orleanians
directly."--Grant C., New Orleans, LA

It's a hopeful sign that so many of the candidates have real plans to
address the climate crisis. But the energy industry giants are going to be
working every step of the way to water these plans down.

It's going to take an organized movement of folks on the ground and ads on
the air to make sure that our leaders solve the climate crisis. Can you
chip in $25 today to support our climate change campaign?

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/climatethanks_onetime.html?id=10796-86329-8jIF7X&t=4

Here are the full results from the Climate Virtual Town Hall vote
(remember, this does not imply a MoveOn endorsement):

Sen. John Edwards                  33.10%
Rep. Dennis Kucinich               15.73%
Sen. Hillary Clinton               15.71%
Sen. Barack Obama                  15.03%
Gov. Bill Richardson               12.60%
Sen. Joe Biden                     3.06%
Sen. Chris Dodd                    3.01%
Sen. Mike Gravel                   1.78%

We were pleased to bring you this event with our friends at Campaign for
America's Future, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, and League of
Conservation Voters. Together, we can all make sure our next president
puts a healthy planet and a healthy future at the top of the agenda.

Thanks for participating and for all you do.

--Ilyse, Daniel, Carrie, Eli and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Wednesday, July 11th, 2007

P.S. In case you're curious, members who went to parties voted a little
different than other members. Here's how those votes came out:

Sen. John Edwards                  25.5%
Gov. Bill Richardson               20.2%
Rep. Dennis Kucinich               17.5%
Se. Hillary Clinton                13.8%
Sen. Barack Obama                  10.2%
Sen. Joe Biden                     6.2%
Sen. Chris Dodd                    3.6%
Sen. Mike Gravel                   3%

P.P.S. Check out this new YouTube video from film director Robert
Greenwald, Fox Attacks: The Environment. It exposes how Rupert Murdoch's
Fox consistently spreads misinformation about, and denies, the global
climate crisis. http://www.moveon.org/r?r=2760&id=&t=1&id=10796-86329-8jIF7X&t=5

Support our member-driven organization: MoveOn.org Political Action is
entirely funded by our 3.2 million members. We have no corporate
contributors, no foundation grants, no money from unions. Our tiny staff
ensures that small contributions go a long way. If you'd like to support
our work, you can give now at:

http://political.moveon.org/donate/email.html?id=10796-86329-8jIF7X&t=6

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

________________

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn.org Political Action. To change your email address, update your contact info, or remove yourself (David Harris) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=10796-86329-8jIF7X