Subject: US-ATMC: 5/29, 5/31 seminars; other programs

From: Richard Dasher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

Please join us for our weekly seminars 5/29 and 5/31.
I'm also forwarding information on some relevant 
events by other organizations.  
					--Richard

1.	VENTURE CAPITAL AND TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIES 
		IN VIETNAM   (Presented by US-ATMC)
	Henry B. Nguyen, Managing General Partner,
	IDG Ventures Vietnam	
	TUESDAY, MAY 29, 4:15 - 5:30 pm, Skilling Aud.

2.	NEURAL PROSTHETIC SYSTEMS -- and --
	WRAP UP:  WHAT ENGINEERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT
		BIOMED APPLICATIONS  (Presented by US-ATMC)
	Krishna Shenoy, Assistant Professor, Stanford EE
		and Neurosciences Program
	THURSDAY, MAY 31, 4:15 - 5:30 pm, Skilling Aud.

3.	THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL MEDIA  
	(Presented by the Keizai Society)
	THURSDAY, MAY 31, 6:00 pm reception, 6:45 pm program

4.	Feature Event June 2007
	TERM SHEET:  BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
	WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 6:00 - 8:30 pm

Details follow.
-------------------------------------------------------

The US-Asia Technology Management Center presents:

VENTURE CAPITAL AND TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIES IN VIETNAM
   Henry B. Nguyen
   Managing General Partner, IDG Ventures Vietnam

	TUESDAY, MAY 29, 2007
	4:15 - 5:30 pm
	Open to the public : light refreshments
	Skilling Auditorium, Stanford University
   <http://asia.stanford.edu/events/skilling.html>

ABSTRACT:  Slightly more than 20 years after reformers 
began opening Vietnam to the West, Vietnam's economy is 
booming and the prospect is bright for the future.  
Nowhere is this more true than in the nascent technology 
and venture capital sectors.  With Internet penetration 
more than double that of China's and 70% of the population 
under 35, Vietnam is quickly becoming an important 
destination for global investors."

SPEAKER BIO:  
   As the founding partner of IDG  Ventures Vietnam, a 
$100 million fund focused on technology, media, and telecom 
investments in Vietnam, Henry splits his time between Hanoi 
and Ho Chi Minh City.  The IDG Ventures team has made eleven 
investments in two years since inception, including VinaGame, 
Punch Entertainment, iSphere Software, Mobile Solutions 
Services and VinaPay.      
   Prior to joining IDG Ventures, Henry has worked at Goldman 
Sachs and was a cofounder of VITC Telecommunications, Vine 
Quality Hospitality Group, S2S Medical Publishing, and 
Medschool.com. Henry is on the Board of Governors for the 
American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam and on the Board of 
the Vietnam Silicon Valley  Network. He also serves on the 
board of iSphere Software, Punch Entertainment and  VinaPay. 
Henry received a B.A. in Classics at Harvard University and 
his M.D. and  M.B.A. from Northwestern University and the 
Kellogg School of Management.     

---------------------------------------------------------

The US-Asia Technology Management Center Presents:

NEURAL PROSTHETIC SYSTEMS -- and --
SERIES WRAP UP:  WHAT ENGINEERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT
	BIOMED APPLICATIONS
   Krishna Shenoy
   Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering &
	Neurosciences Program, Stanford University

	THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2007
	4:15 - 5:30 pm
	Open to the public: light refreshments
	Skilling Auditorium, Stanford University
   <http://asia.stanford.edu/events/skilling.html>

ABSTRACT:  Prof. Shenoy will describe the activities 
of his research group into the neural basis of sensorimotor 
integration and coordination, and the design of neural 
prosthetic systems (also known as Brain-Computer interfaces)
to assist disabled patients.  
  Then, he will participate in a discussion of "What 
Engineers Should Know about Biomed Applications" moderated
by US-ATMC director Richard Dasher.  This will conclude our
nine week series into "Advanced Technologies for Biomed
Applications."  

SPEAKER BIO
   Professor Shenoy received the BSEE Summa cum Laude from 
UC Irvine in 1990 (Summa Cum Laude), and his Master's and
Ph.D. in EE from MIT in 1992 and 1995, respectively.  He was
a postdoctoral fellow in the Division of Biology at Caltech 
from 1995-2001. 
   In 2001 Professor Shenoy joined the Department of Electrical 
Engineering at Stanford University, where he is also a member 
of the Neurosciences Program (School of Medicine).  He is also
affiliated with Stanford's Bio-X Program, Biodesign Program, 
and NIS (Neurosciences Institute at Stanford). 
   Honors and awards include NSF and Hertz Foundation graduate 
fellowships, the 1996 Hertz Foundation Doctoral Thesis Prize, 
an NIH postdoctoral fellowship, a Burroughs Wellcome Fund 
Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences, the William George 
Hoover Faculty Scholar in Electrical Engineering at Stanford, 
the Robert N. Noyce Family Scholar in the Stanford University 
School of Engineering, an Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 
and Defense Sciences Research Council (DSRC/DARPA) fellow and 
member. Dr. Shenoy is a Senior Member of the IEEE (Engineering 
in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS) and a member of Eta 
Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, Society for Neuroscience, Neural Control 
of Movement Society and American Physiological Society. 

-------------------------------------------------

The Keizai Society US-Japan Business Forum presents:

THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL MEDIA
   Darin Kyoichi Grant, Head of Production Technology,
	Dreamworks
   Yuji Ichimura, Vice President,
	NEC Solutions Business Group 
   Sheridan Tatsuno, Principal
	Dreamscape

   THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2007
   6:00 pm reception, 6:45 pm program
   950 Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA
	Bldg 950 (brick building) of the law firm 
	Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich and Rosati PC
   For more information and to register, go to
<http://www.keizai.org/>

-------------------------------------------------

Feature Event June 2007

TERM SHEET:  BLOOD, SWEAT, & TEARS
   A fireside chat between the Entrepreneur, the
Venture Capitalist, and the Lawyer.
   Panelists
   	Samba Murthy, Director, Xambala
   	Henry Wong, Diamond Tech Ventures
   	Fred Greguras, Fenwick & West

   WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 2007
   6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
   Venue:  Fenwick & West LLP
	Silicon Valley Center
	801 California Street, Room 101
	Mountain View, CA 94041

Discounts available to members of certain
associations, e.g. SVC Wireless, CINA, CSPA,
AAMA, CASPA, SVCEF, GABA, SiliconFrench, SVASE,
FountainBlue, GZOPA

   For more information and to register, go to:
<http://www.diamondtechventures.com/FeatureEvents.html>
or
<http://www.acteva.com/go/TermSheet>

------------------------------------------------

We hope to see you soon at one or more of these
events!

-------------------------------------------------
Richard B. Dasher, Ph.D.
TEL 1-650-725-3621            Stanford University
	
Director,    US-Asia Technology Management Center
FAX 1-650-725-9974       http://asia.stanford.edu

Executive Director, Center for Integrated Systems
FAX 1-650-725-0991        http://cis.stanford.edu
-------------------------------------------------

--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
usjtmc-events mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/usjtmc-events