Subject: Stanford Where You Live: The Peninsula April 2007

From: Tom Maravilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:24:15 -0700 (PDT)

Now that we're used to the time change, let's get out and enjoy 
spring in all its glory. April is a time for new growth, fresh 
perspectives and family fun with Community Day at Stanford, 
Aurora Forums and sports.

If you haven't seen it already, take a moment to visit our 
recently redesigned Stanford alumni website. It has a new look, 
streamlined navigation and expanded news about Stanford on the 
home page.

Go Cardinal!

Tom Maravilla, '77
Alumni Relations Officer, Bay Area
Stanford Alumni Association
[email-masked]
(650) 736-1734
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/

IN THIS ISSUE
--------------------------------------------------------------                                                                         
Stanford Events in the Bay Area
Lecture: "New Media and Its Effect on Newspapers and Traditional 
Journalism," 4/12 
Focus on the Environment: Experience the Bay! Discovery 
Voyage, 4/28 
The Stanford Club of Palo Alto Goes to Lively Arts for Deborah 
Voigt, 4/29 
Lecture: "Climate Change: What America Really Thinks," 5/9
Stanford Baseball with the Stanford Club of Palo Alto, 5/20 

Stanford Sports
On-Campus Events: Complete Athletics Calendar
Softball at California, 4/6 and 4/7
Track and Field at Brutus Hamilton Invitational, 4/13 and 4/14
Rowing at Windermere Real Estate Regatta, 4/13 - 4/15
Baseball at California, 4/20 - 4/22
Women's Water Polo at California, 4/20
Rowing at California, 4/21
Women's Sailing at PCCs, 4/21 and 4/22
Sailing	at Team Race Open, 4/21 and 4/22
Women's Tennis at California, 4/21
Track and Field at California Collegiate Challenge, 4/27 and 4/28
Spring Football Game, 4/28 
On TV: Baseball and Softball 

Come Back to Campus
Race, Inequality, and Incarceration, 4/11
Ram's Head presents "The Wild Party," 4/13-14, 19-21
Community Day, 4/15
Faculty Talk: "Red and Blue Nation? Characteristics and Causes
of America's Polarized Politics," 4/18
Reactions to the Record: Perspectives on Historic Performance, 
4/19-4/21
Aurora Forum: "Exposures of Truth: Richard Avedon and 
Gordon Parks," 4/18
"Reactions to the Record: Perspectives on Historic 
Performance," 4/19 - 4/21
Third Annual Stanford Sports Legends Celebrity Golf Classic, 4/23
Day on Campus: "Then and Now," 4/25 
Faculty Talk: "Brainstorms: Making Pictures of What We See Every
Day," 4/26
Aurora Forum: "Title IX at 35: A Conversation with Billie Jean 
King," 4/28
Annual Stanford Historic House and Garden Tour, 4/29

Lifelong Learning
Stanford Book Salon: April Salon Kicks Off

Alumni Resources & Opportunities
Explore our new Stanford Alumni Website
Memorial Day Weekend in the Sierra
Class Banners -- A Stanford Tradition
Stanford Volunteer Clearinghouse 

Local Clubs 
Act Locally: Find a group where you live
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/regional/listing.html?region-label=20:bay-area-peninsula:5.0&type=clubs

STANFORD EVENTS IN THE BAY AREA	
--------------------------------------------------------------

Lecture: "New Media and Its Effect on Newspapers and Traditional 
Journalism"
Thursday, April 12
10:00 a.m. - 12 noon
Ft. Mason Room C205
San Francisco 
Price: $10 for Stanford Women's Club members; $15 general
Contact/RSVP: Zanne Mrlik, '84, at [email-masked]
>> Get more information
http://e.stanfordalumni.org/Clubs/sfwomen/events.asp

Kathleen McCoy, assistant editor for features at the "Anchorage 
Daily News," explores ways to introduce nontraditional content 
into the news sections and engage readers in her paper's online 
edition. Ms. McCoy contributed two articles to the 1989 Pulitzer 
Prize-winning series, "A People in Peril," exposing how alcohol 
and suicide were prevalent among young Native people in Alaska. 
She is a Knight Fellow at Stanford.

Focus on the Environment: Experience the Bay! Discovery Voyage
Saturday, April 28
1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Marine Science Institute
Redwood City
Prices range from $30 - $60 per person. Click the "Get details 
and register" link for more information.
Contact Janeen Tuitupou, MA '91, at [email-masked] 
or (650) 364-2760, ext. 25.
>> Get details and register
http://www.stanfordwomen.org/events.html

Enjoy a family-friendly ecological tour of the south bay aboard 
the Robert G. Brownlee, a 90-foot research vessel of the Marine 
Science Institute. With the institute's educators as your 
guides, discover the biodiversity of the bay and experience 
direct contact with a wide variety of its marine animals.

The Stanford Club of Palo Alto Goes to Lively Arts for Deborah Voigt
Sunday, April 29
2:30 p.m.
Memorial Auditorium
Price: $60, includes post-recital wine reception
Contact: Christine Sorensen, '64, MA '66, at 
[email-masked] or (650) 941-3490.
>> Get details and register
http://e.stanfordalumni.org/Clubs/palo-alto/events.asp 

Famous for her repertoire of Wagnerian operas, Deborah Voigt 
delivers a spellbinding vocal tour de force that perfectly 
showcases her lustrous voice and her beautifully nuanced, 
expressive gestures. Stanford Club attendees are also invited 
to a special wine reception at the Alumni Center following the 
event, featuring wines from the Bridlewood Estate, Gallo 
Family and Louis M. Martini. Tickets will be mailed prior to 
the performance. Space is limited. 

Lecture: "Climate Change: What America Really Thinks"
Wednesday, May 9
12 noon
Commonwealth Club
595 Market St. (at Second Street), 2nd floor
San Francisco
Price: $17 for Stanford Club of San Francisco members;
$25 for non-members
Contact: Jeanne Glennon, '63, at [email-masked]

How are public attitudes toward global warming evolving? What do 
they mean for national policy? Jon Krosnick, professor of 
communication, political science and psychology, will discuss 
his research exploring how the American public's political 
attitudes about the environment are formed and how they change. 
Professor Krosnick is a senior fellow at Stanford's Woods 
Institute for the Environment and widely quoted in such 
publications as "The New York Times" and "The Wall Street Journal."

Stanford Baseball with the Stanford Club of Palo Alto
Sunday, May 20
12 noon barbecue
1:00 p.m. first pitch
Sunken Diamond
Price: $25; $15 for kids under 12. Includes general admission 
ticket and barbecue
Contact Christine Sorensen, '64, MA '66, at 
[email-masked] or (650) 941-3490.
>> Get details and register online
http://e.stanfordalumni.org/Clubs/palo-alto/events.asp

Take yourself out to the ballgame to watch the Stanford Cardinal 
defeat the University of Pacific! For $10 more, you can enter a 
drawing for a chance to throw out the first pitch. The winner's 
name will be drawn at 12:30 p.m. in the Diamond Suite, and will 
be escorted to the playing field at 12:45 p.m. Bring beach 
chairs, folding chairs, towels or blankets. Space is limited.  

STANFORD SPORTS
--------------------------------------------------------------

On-Campus Events: Complete Athletics Calendar
Stanford men's and women's crew, men's and women's golf, men's 
and women's tennis, baseball, women's lacrosse, softball, men's 
volleyball, women's water polo and track teams are competing on 
campus this month
>> See a complete schedule of Stanford athletic events
http://gostanford.cstv.com/calendar/events/2006_200704.html 

Softball at California
Friday, April 6 and Saturday, April 7
3:00 p.m. Saturday
1:00 p.m. Sunday
Levine-Fricke Field
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-softbl/cal-w-softbl-body.html

Track and Field at Brutus Hamilton Invitational
Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14
All day
Edwards Stadium
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/c-otrack/cal-c-otrack-body.html

Rowing at Windermere Real Estate Regatta
Friday, April 13 through Sunday, April 15
All day
Stanford Rowing and Sailing Center
Redwood Shores
>> Get more information
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/w-crew/spec-rel/031207aab.html

Baseball at California
Friday, April 20 through Sunday, April 22
2:30 p.m. Friday
1:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
Evans Diamond
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/cal-m-basebl-body.html

Women's Water Polo at California
Friday, April 20
7:00 p.m.
Spieker Aquatics Complex
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-wpolo/cal-w-wpolo-body.html

Rowing at California
Saturday, April 21
Time TBA
Stanford Rowing and Sailing Center
Redwood Shores
>> Get more information
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/w-crew/stan-w-crew-body.html

Women's Sailing at PCCs 
Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22
All day
Treasure Island
San Francisco
>> Get more information
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/c-sail/stan-c-sail-body.html

Sailing at Team Race Open
Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22
All day
Stanford Rowing and Sailing Center
Redwood City
>> Get more information
http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/c-sail/stan-c-sail-body.html

Women's Tennis at California
Saturday, April 21
12 noon
Hellman Tennis Complex
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/cal-w-tennis-body.html

Track and Field at California Collegiate Challenge	
Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28
All day
Edwards Stadium
University of California 
Berkeley
>> Get more information
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/c-otrack/cal-c-otrack-body.html

Spring Football Game
Saturday, April 28
4:00 p.m. (gates open at 3:00 p.m.)
Stanford Stadium
Free and open to the public

Come support Stanford football in a Cardinal and White game. 
Meet the players and new head coach, Jim Harbaugh, as they
prepare for the 2007 season. An on-field autograph session will
take place immediately after the game.

On TV: Baseball and Softball
>> Check out the broadcast schedule
http://gostanford.cstv.com/ot/06-07-tvschedule.html

Get the latest news and views about Stanford athletics.
>> Visit the Stanford Athletics website 
http://www.gostanford.com

COME BACK TO CAMPUS
-------------------------------------------------------------

Race, Inequality, and Incarceration 
Wednesday, April 11
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. 
Bechtel Conference Center 
Free
Registration required
>> Get more information and register
http://www.stanford.edu/group/iriss/conferences/rii.html 

This intellectual summit seeks to explore the causes, meanings and 
effects of racial disproportion in the American criminal justice 
system and will focus on the massive incarceration and racial 
disproportion in American prisons and jails. The program includes 
a keynote address by Theodore M. Shaw, director-counsel and 
president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. 

Ram's Head Presents "The Wild Party" 
April 13-14, 19-21 
Memorial Auditorium 
Price: $15 alumni; $18 general 
>> Get more info and buy tickets online
http://www.wildpartythemusical.com/index.php

Ram's Head presents "The Wild Party," an off-Broadway smash hit 
originally produced in 2000 by award-winning composer Andrew 
Lippa and winner of the Outer Critics Circle Award for best 
Off-Broadway musical of the season. The show was also nominated 
for 13 Drama Desk Awards including best new musical. "The Wild 
Party" is a story of passion, intimacy and betrayal. 

Community Day
Sunday, April 15
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Palm Drive (along Serra Mall and the Oval)
Free and open to the public
>> Learn more about Community Day
http://communityday.stanford.edu/

Community Day, an all-day family-oriented open house with more 
than 50 activities sponsored by campus departments and student 
groups, features music and dance performances, art exhibits, 
athletic events, science exhibits, faculty lectures on pediatric 
medicine and new science research, a health fair, a children's 
art and culture festival and more. New this year are guided 
tours of Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve and the Stanford Barn.

Faculty Talk: "Red and Blue Nation? Characteristics and Causes
of America's Polarized Politics"
Wednesday, April 18
4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
East Vidalakis Room, Schwab Residential Center
Stanford campus
Free and open to the public
Questions? Contact Mandy MacCalla at [email-masked]. 
 
Hoover Institution senior fellow David Brady and Brookings 
Institution senior fellow Pietro Nivola will discuss their 
recent book, "Red and Blue Nation? Characteristics and Causes of
America's Polarized Politics." They will be joined in discussion
by their colleague, Hoover senior fellow Morris Fiorina. This
talk is co-sponsored by the Stanford Alumni Association and the
Hoover Institution.

Aurora Forum: "Exposures of Truth: Richard Avedon and
Gordon Parks"
Wednesday, April 18
7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Kresge Auditorium
Stanford Law School
Free and open to the public 
>> Learn more about the program
http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/course/EVT161.asp

Moderated by Wanda M. Corn, the Robert and Ruth Halperin
Professor in Art History at Stanford, this unique conversation 
on the work of Richard Avedon and Gordon Parks features art
critics Andy Grundberg ("New York Times") and Deborah
Willis (NYU professor of photography and imaging). The Aurora
Forum hosts public conversations on democratic ideals designed
to deepen civic understanding and inspire social hope.

"Reactions to the Record: Perspectives on Historic Performance"
Thursday, April 19 through Saturday, April 21
Campbell Recital Hall and CCRMA Stage
Contact: Professor George Barth at [email-masked]
>> Get details and register 

Explore the vivid styles of performance heard on the earliest 
acoustic recordings and player piano rolls, styles that began 
to vanish after the First World War and were considered almost 
scandalous after the Second. What might these traces of vintage 
styles mean to composers, performers and listeners today? 
Presenters include Malcolm Bilson, Will Crutchfield, Nicholas 
Cook, Jonathan Berger, the St. Lawrence String Quartet and 
other performers, composers, musicologists and specialists in 
early recordings. 

Third Annual Stanford Sports Legends Celebrity Golf Classic
Monday, April 23
12 noon
Stanford Golf Course
Contact: Kellie Utsumi at [email-masked] or (650) 723-1008 
to get more information and reserve a spot.

Support the Stanford Athletic Department and the Buck/Cardinal 
Club by playing in this tournament with an 18-hole scramble 
format with a shotgun start. Each group will consist of five 
players: a foursome and a Stanford Athletics celebrity from the 
past or present. Sponsorship packages run from $1,800 to $7,500, 
and include a paid foursome, green fees and cart, lunch, dinner 
and cocktail reception. Tickets can be purchased separately to 
the cocktail reception and live auction that follow.

Day on Campus: "Then and Now"
Wednesday, April 25
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 pm
Begins at Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center
Price: $25 geneneral; $20 for Stanford Women's Club of the East 
Bay members
Contact Andrea Jones, '87, at [email-masked] for more 
information

Come back to campus to see how things have changed over the 
years. We will begin with a look at Stanford from the 1950's to 
the present. Then Susie Brubaker-Cole, Assistant Vice Provost 
for Undergraduate Education and Director of Undergraduate 
Advising and Research, will moderate a panel discussion over 
lunch with current students to hear about today's issues, 
intellectual climate and social scene. After lunch we will take 
a bus tour of campus.

Brainstorms: Making Pictures of What We See Every Day
Thursday, April 26
7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
William R. Hewlett Teaching Center
Free and open to the public
>> Learn more about the program
http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/course/EVT168.asp

Join Pat Hanrahan, Canon USA Professor of computer science and
electrical engineering at Stanford, as he takes a tour behind the 
scenes of computer graphics with views of complex models and
sophisticated simulations. He will answer questions about the
physics of the everyday world, such as, Why do things look the
way they do? Why are they shaped the way they are? And what is
behind movement and behavior? 

Aurora Forum: "Title IX at 35: A Conversation with Billie Jean King"
Saturday, April 28
7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Maples Pavilion
Free and open to the public 
>> Learn more about the program
http://auroraforum.org

Title IX, the landmark legislation enacted in 1972, established 
gender equity in schools, whether in academics or athletics. 
Also in 1972, Billie Jean King became the first woman to be 
named "Sportswoman of the Year" by "Sports Illustrated." In the 
course of a long and remarkable athletic career, King's words 
and actions made Title IX real. She recently observed, "Title IX 
was passed in 1972 to provide equal rights for young men and 
women. Why are we still battling for this now?" Join Billie Jean 
King and Stanford's Vice Provost for Campus Relations LaDoris 
Cordell for a conversation that explores this and other questions.

Annual Stanford Historic House and Garden Tour 
Sunday, April 29
1:00 - 4:00 p.m. 
Shuttle stop in front of the Stanford Faculty Club
Price: $20 until April 20; $25 afterward
Contact Susan Sweeney at [email-masked] or (650) 324-1653.
>> Get details and register
http://histsoc.stanford.edu/2007/2007tourflier.pdf

The Stanford Historical Society will tour homes and gardens in 
the historic lower San Juan district, featuring some of the 
lovely 1908-10 "double houses." 

LIFELONG LEARNING
--------------------------------------------------------------

Stanford Book Salon: March Salon Kicks Off
Calling all readers! Only two books left in this year's Salon. 
If you have not joined the Salon before, now is the time. 
We will be reading "Through the Arc of the
Rainforest," by Karen Tei Yamashita. The Book Salon 
is free and open to all alumni and friends.
>> Learn more about the Salon and join the online discussion
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/booksalon

ALUMNI RESOURCES AND OPPORTUNITIES
--------------------------------------------------------------
                                  
Explore our new Stanford alumni website  
Stanford's alumni website has recently been redesigned to make it 
easier than ever to find the news and information of interest to you. 
In addition to a new look and streamlined navigation, the website 
features Stanford news and scores, articles from STANFORD magazine, 
iTunes downloads and special offers – all conveniently accessible 
from the home page. 
>> Visit the new website today:
http://www.stanfordalumni.org

Memorial Day Weekend in the Sierra 
Friday, May 25 through Monday, May 28
Stanford Sierra Camp
Fallen Leaf Lake
Price: Weekend rates start at $540 per guest. Price includes 
lodging, food and all weekend events.
Questions? Contact Jamie Matias at (530) 542-5600 or 
[email-masked].
>> Get details about the weekend and register
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/learningtravel/sierra/sierra-special/2007memorialday.html 

Join us this Memorial Day weekend for a rejuvenating adults-only
getaway at Stanford Sierra Camp on beautiful Fallen Leaf Lake.
Connect with fellow alumni and guests in quiet times and outdoor
adventures. Go "behind the scenes" of documentary film 
production with Stanford professor Jan Krawitz (director of 
graduate studies for documentary film). Please your palate with
an exquisite five-course wine pairing dinner. 
 
Class Banners: A Stanford Tradition
Display your Cardinal pride at home, at work or at play with a
Stanford Class Banner! The high-quality felt banner is perfect
for hanging in the office, in your living room or when cheering
on the Cardinal! It also makes a great gift for your favorite
Stanford alum! Quantities are limited, so order your Class 
Banner today. Cost is $34 plus tax and shipping. Don't miss your
chance to declare your Stanford spirit loud and proud with a
class banner!
>> Order your Stanford Class Banner now
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/erc/reunions/rh07banners.html

Stanford Volunteer Clearinghouse
Don't let April be the cruelest month. Sign up for these 
volunteer opportunities:

>> Business Consultant -- Stanford Student Enterprises
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1391&source

>> Lecture Series Consultant -- Classics Department
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1372&source 

>> Document Development -- Residential Housing
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1384&source 

>> Student Survey Development and Assessment -- Stanford Athletics
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1392&source 

>> Mentors for Student Business Plan Development -- Stanford 
Social Entrepreneur's Challenge
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse/opp/detail.html?opportunity-id=1382&source 

>> See all volunteer opportunities
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/volunteer/clearinghouse

ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER
--------------------------------------------------------------
                                                           
This newsletter was prepared by Tom Maravilla, '77, at the Stanford 
Alumni Association. It is produced in collaboration with Stanford clubs 
and volunteers and is sent via e-mail the first week of every month. 
Please send any correspondence to Tom at [email-masked]. 
In addition, please contact Tom if you would like to receive the 
newsletter for another region.

STANFORD WHERE YOU LIVE 
A Publication of the Stanford Alumni Association

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to [email-masked]

Do we have your most recent contact information? Update it by clicking on this link: 
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/home/main?page=up&pgAid=0290&rtaCode=27265&rtaTcode=3987&eid=30697376030

If you received this in error, or if you'd rather not receive further emails of this kind, you can unsubscribe by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/cmgen/service/maillistu?m=R37&eid=30697376030&rtaCode=27265&pgAid=0290&rtaTcode=3986

If you are encountering difficulties with the above email, contact Customer Service. You may also email [email-masked] or call toll free, 1-866-543-0243 (International: +1(650) 724-0627).

Contact Customer Service by clicking on this link:
https://pgnet.stanford.edu/feedback/Service/getForm?url=SMfooter&pcode=265