Subject: Re: [ExI] how would Transhumanists cope if the Singularity did not happen in their lifetime?

From: Sondre Bjellås <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:11:08 +0200

No longer care whether the Singularity will happen within my own lifetime.
I’m hoping for a minimum 500 year lifespan, but if I die tomorrow or when
I’m 80, I will still be happy for the years I had in this life. When I’m
dead, I won’t care any longer anyway.

I enjoy the technological advances that happens every day and I’m amazed by
the creativity and brilliance of the human race. Happy to be a part of it
all and I’m trying to do my contribution towards a better future.

Keeping myself healthy and at an optimal health ensures that I can enjoy the
time I have left to the fullest.  I don’t have plans to freeze myself down,
maybe this will change depending on the advances in this field.

Regards,

Sondre

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John Grigg
Sent: 15. mai 2007 12:33
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] how would Transhumanists cope if the Singularity did not
happen in their lifetime?

I am very curious to see how things work out in the personal lives of
present-day Transhumanists should the Singularity not happen as hoped by the
year 2030.  By that year many of the "older folks" among us will have used
(or be on the verge of using) the only option available for a possible
escape from death, which would be cryonic suspension.  While Ray Kurzweil
came to his 2030 date for the Singularity by using Moore's law, I'm sure he
(and many others) found it comforting that this was a year within striking
distance of his personal lifespan.  

Around 2030 I envision many documentaries and news specials being made to
cover the "depressed and misguided souls (I see this being the angle given
by the filmmakers)" who thought a Singularity would happen within their
lifetime.  But by then cryonic suspension technology should be far more
advanced & respected than now.  And I can imagine the "Transhumanist Elders"
being much beloved by the younger generation (I would at least hope so!,
lol).

John Grigg      

  _____  

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http:/tv.yahoo.com/collections/222>  with
an Edge to see what's on, when. 

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat

---

From: BillK <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:36:53 +0100

On 5/18/07, Sondre Bjellås wrote:
> I'm hoping for a minimum 500 year lifespan, but if I die tomorrow or when
> I'm 80, I will still be happy for the years I had in this life. When I'm
> dead, I won't care any longer anyway.
>
> I enjoy the technological advances that happens every day and I'm amazed by
> all and I'm trying to do my contribution towards a better future.
>
> time I have left to the fullest.  I don't have plans to freeze myself down,

Agreed. The worst thing about dying is that I'd really, really, like
to know how it all turned out in the end.

BillK

---

From: A B <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:11:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sondre,

My feeling is that the Alcor cryonics technology is
already impressively advanced. More than enough to
"bring someone back", in my layman's opinion [leaving
all the metaphysics aside]. And it's encouraging to
see that Alcor is still pushing forward with R&D,
making progress toward effectively perfect
preservation. I offer that you may want to reconsider,
if you don't think you can make it to the aging cure.
Check out the Alcor website if you haven't already.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey Herrlich  

____________________________________________________________________________________
Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. 
Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html 
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat