Subject: CIO Enterprise: Six Ways to Cut Fat from Your Data Center

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:40:33 -0400

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
September 19, 2007

Your guide to our best enterprise tech and management articles from CIO's Web and print pages. 

Six Ways to Cut Fat from Your Data Center
Atten-TION! In this first-person account, John West, who manages a 
U.S. Army computing center in Vicksburg, Miss., offers lessons in 
efficiency, drawn from his experience with past upgrades. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11905/0/

Also in this issue:
1. Forget SLAs. Here's How to Measure Real Outsourcing Success
2. India vs. China: Where to Put Your Outsourcing Bucks
3. Reigning In Employees with Consumer Toys
4. Speaking of Rogue Technology...
5. Profits are the Only Measure of IT Innovation
6. Brand Aid for a Manufacturer's Online Property
7. Microsoft Loses Key Antitrust Decision in Europe 
8. Think You're All That?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Serena Software 

ALM 2.0 and Enterprise Mashups; Building better software, faster

Development and IT backlogs continue to grow despite the best efforts 
of enterprises. Why? Applications development is an inherently difficult 
proposition; it is heterogeneous, global and collaborative. But addressing 
these challenges and thus achieving competitive differentiation is no less 
than a matter of corporate survival. Radical methods are required that will 
help enterprises win in the cut-throat global marketplace. This webinar will 
explore new approaches to Application Lifecycle Management in the form of 
ALM 2.0 and emerging Mashup technologies. These new approaches are poised to 
deliver an explosion in innovation, allowing enterprises to finally address 
their backlog issues.

Register for this event today: 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11388/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Forget SLAs. Here's How to Measure Real Outsourcing Success

If you really want to assess the health of your outsourcing deal, 
give it a full physical. Vendors know the payday is in meeting the 
letter of the service level agreement. But CIOs should consider 
more than those contracts, including the vendor's ability to manage change. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11906/0/

2. India vs. China: Where to Put Your Outsourcing Bucks

CIO blogger Stephanie Overby generates a lot of debate with her take 
on the pros and cons of IT outsourcing hotbeds India and china. With IT 
staffer salaries about equal in both countries (and far less, by the way, 
than a semester at a private U.S. university) does it all come down to 
which has more Starbucks outlets? Join the debate. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11907/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Microsoft 

Driving down TCO by Optimizing Windows Desktop Environments
Enterprises face four key challenges that drive up the total 
cost of ownership (TCO) for Windows desktop environments: software 
asset management, application management and compatibility, over-burdened 
helpdesks, and the ever-present tension between controlling the desktop 
and empowering the end user. This webcast features Swedish Medical Center 
and Russell Investment Group who have addressed these challenges and 
significantly reduced their TCO using the new Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP).

Watch this webcast sponsored by Microsoft today. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11908/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Reigning In Employees with Consumer Toys

Sure, Web 2.0 technologies bring companies some nice communications 
benefits. But users who bring unsanctioned Web 2.0 technologies into 
companies also expose data. How to assess the risk of underground 
use of iPhones, social networking sites and other rogue computing.   

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11909/0/

4. Speaking of Rogue Technology...

CIO's Al Sacco reviews four smartphones: The Nokia E62, BlackBerry Pearl, 
T-Mobile Dash and Palm Treo 750. You can weigh in, too. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/7688/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by VMWare 

Server Virtualization Blooming in Production Environments

Virtualization technology is in the mainstream and quickly maturing into 
extensive production deployments, according to new research. Companies are 
reporting transformative cost savings and benefits such as flexibility and 
availability.

Read this white paper sponsored by VMware and Sun today.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11219/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5. Profits are the Only Measure of IT Innovation

Marriott CIO Carl Wilson says he shepherds the technology direction of his company 
based not on software and hardware upgrade cycles or vendors' fickle technology 
roadmaps but on which tech investments will add to his company's net profits. 
It's no fluke, by the way, that Marriott was recently named most innovative 
company in the travel and tourism industry by Boston Consulting Group.  
 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11910/0/

6. Brand Aid for a Manufacturer's Online Property     
   
Your good name is always in jeopardy online. KitchenAid hired a company to 
help protect the trademarked silhouette of its KitchenAid Mixer. Every Friday, 
KitchenAid gets a report on online infractions, then decides what 
legal action to take. 
 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11911/0/

7. Microsoft Loses Key Antitrust Decision in Europe     

Microsoft failed Monday in its bid to overturn a European Commission 
antitrust ruling against it, when the European Union's second-highest 
court dismissed the vendor's appeal and ordered it to pay $613 million 
in fines, plus most of the Commission's legal costs. Does it even 
matter anymore? 
   
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11912/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Red Hat 

SOA Redefined: Simple. Open. Affordable.

While many vendors have announced SOA initiatives and platforms, 
implementations are often dependent on expensive, closed source platforms. 
Red Hat’s JBoss Enterprise Middleware, the open source platform for SOA, 
makes it easier to launch these projects with increased flexibility and 
without large financial commitments.

Read this white paper sponsored by RedHat today.  

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11864/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Think You're All That?   

We're looking for the next generation of standout IT leaders to celebrate with 
our annual "Ones to Watch" awards. CIO magazine, along with the CIO Executive 
Council, honors future CIOs who have demonstrated leadership, spurred innovation
and delivered value at their companies. Nominate yourself or some other 
deserving technologist by downloading an application. Winners will be honored 
at the fourth annual CIO Leadership conference, which this year is in Boston. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11913/0/

1. Seven Wonders of the IT World
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11914/0/

2. The Fifth Annual Global State of Information Security 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11915/0/

3. The Eight Most Dangerous Consumer Technologies
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11916/0/

4. Offshore IT Services Showdown: India Versus China
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11917/0/

5. Verizon Wireless to FCC: We'll See You in Court Over 700MHz Spectrum Auction Rules
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11918/0/

Like what you read? Want to see something different? Let me know. We're here to serve.

Kim S. Nash
Senior Editor
CIO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Imprivata 

Death to Passwords: The Economics of Authentication A Spire Research Report

Passwords are dead. New and different forms of technology provide better security. 
Yet, passwords are, by far, the most common authentication mechanism in place. 
This Spire Research Report reviews the various threat models for authentication 
and highlights the weaknesses in passwords.

Read this white paper sponsored by Imprivata today: 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/11661/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Enterprise because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

For editing newsletter preferences/unsubscribing:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/6886/0/

For subscribing to newsletters:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/2659/0/

The CIO privacy policy:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1181480/649768/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked]. **