Subject: CIO Insider: Blogs and Wikis in the Business World

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:30:00 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
July 11, 2007

Blogs and Wikis in the Business World

Indispensable business collaboration tools and a powerful 
means of communicating with customers, partners and 
employees, wikis and blogs have been compared to e-mail 
in terms of their potential impact on the enterprise.
Our introduction makes sense of all the various options.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9615/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Dramatic Industry Shifts: What Can You Do to Survive Major Transitions?
2. Boeing Versus Airbus: Flight Risk, Outsourcing Challenges
3. Business Transformation at the Department of Defense
4. Shifting Focus from Bottom Line to a Better World
5. Second Take at Second Life
6. The Race to the Bottom -- of the Software Stack
7. Linux Official, Microsoft Give Thumbs-Down to GPLv3
8. Take Our Latest Poll

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by HP
 
Managing data as a corporate asset: Three action steps toward 
successful data governance

Accelerate business growth, lower costs and reduce regulatory risk 
by treating data like an asset. The key is effective data 
governance—managing the availability, integrity, security and usability 
of enterprise data. Learn more in this white paper!

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9616/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Dramatic Industry Shifts: What Can You Do to Survive Major Transitions?

>From the advent of the Internet to PCs and digital phones, 
smart business leaders hedge their bets by taking strategic 
risks on new technologies.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9617/0/

2. Boeing Versus Airbus: Flight Risk, Outsourcing Challenges

In Boeing's high-stakes rivalry with Airbus--what the 
author calls the "greatest international competition in 
business" -- outsourcing to Asia helps Boeing sell more 
airplanes. But at what cost?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9618/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Acorn Systems

Understand and Manage the Value of Information Technology

In many large organizations, annual IT spending has escalated into 
millions of dollars - billions for the largest organizations. With 
such a large portion of budget allocation, CFOs and CIOs want to 
ensure that IT organizations are managed in the most cost-effective 
manner. Now, IT organizations must put IT services in terms that are 
bought and consumed - in other words, they must create IT value.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9619/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Business Transformation at the Department of Defense

Dennis Wisnosky, CTO of the Department of Defense Business 
Mission Area talks about the process of moving the world's 
largest business from "as-is" to a "to-be" state. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9620/0/

4. Shifting Focus from Bottom Line to a Better World

While the transition from the for-profit sector to the 
nonprofit sector may seem easy in theory, many career 
changers find that it is quite tricky in practice. The
way to survive? Innovation.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9621/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Microsoft

Enabling the Infoworker:  How Thought Leaders from Avaya and 
Microsoft Envision Unified Communications 

The growing number of communications options is actually negatively 
impacting interactions.  But unified communications is poised to turn 
that all around.  Join thought leaders from Avaya, Microsoft and IDC 
as we explore its potential impact on your business. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9622/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Second Take at Second Life

C.G. Lynch had thought that Second Life could be ignored,
at least in regard to enterprise tools. But with the Wall
Street Journal reporting that companies are interviewing 
job candidates in the virtual world, he's forced to take 
an agonizing reappraisal of the situation. Second Life
might matter for business, after all. Nonetheless, he says,
he has serious concerns about accepting Second Life as a 
place where commerce is conducted with any kind of accountability.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9623/0/

6. The Race to the Bottom -- of the Software Stack

In politics, it's said, your enemy's enemy is your friend. 
That formulation is true in technology as well, says Bernard
Golden, as demonstrated by the news that Dell is working 
with VMware to create a server with virtualization embedded 
in its firmware.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9624/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Sterling Commerce

Improve customer satisfaction with outstanding sales and fulfillment

June, 2007 - (Free research) For retailers, supply chain visibility is 
vital to the success of selling and fulfillment solutions, since they 
allow customers to purchase, track and return products anywhere. Read 
about how streamlining processes across the supply chain moves retailers 
from multi-channel to cross-channel to help meet customer-related challenges 
and achieve operational efficiency.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9625/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Linux Official, Microsoft Give Thumbs-Down to GPLv3

The new GNU GPLv3 is not a fit for Linux because switching 
would require permission from the kernel's thousands of 
de facto owners, a maintainer of the SCSI portion of the 
kernel said.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9626/0/

8. Take Our Latest Poll

The immigration bill that would have raised the H-1B cap 
died in the Senate, but high-tech leaders will keep lobbying 
to increase the annual limit. What do you think about the 
current cap on H-1Bs? Vote in the latest CIO poll.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9627/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Negotiating a Raise
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9535/0/

2. How One CIO Escaped E-Mail Attachment Hell
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9536/0/

3. What It Takes for a CIO to Be a CEO
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9537/0/

4. Who Are the Million Dollar CIOs?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9538/0/

5. Memo to Congress: Cut H1B Visas by 50%
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9539/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Arsenal Digital Solutions

Solving the Distributed Data Protection Problem

To help IT managers conquer their biggest data protection challenges, 
Arsenal Digital has released “Solving the Distributed Data Problem: The 
Rise of Remote Data Protection Services.” 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/9628/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/975297/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].