Subject: CIO Insider: Getting Top Management Support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:29:05 -0500

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
March 29, 2007

Beneath the Buzz: Top Management Support

Everybody who's selling a new method or system says that 
top management support is the key to success. As your 
monthly curmudgeon, columnist N. Dean Meyer says that 
if you have to ask for it, you don't deserve it.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6821/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Big Undertakings Call for an Agile Approach
2. Delayed GPLv3 Third Draft to Debut
3. RFID Research Project Examining Security and Privacy in the Supply Chain
4. Takeaways from CSO Perspectives

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Microsoft 

Find out why CIOs say a reliable IT infrastructure equates 
directly to their success.

According to an IDG Research study, CIOs say that a reliable 
IT infrastructure equates directly to their success.  After 
all, downtime most assuredly results in big losses – from 
money to reputation.  Read this paper to find out why reliability 
metrics matter. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6822/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Big Undertakings Call for an Agile Approach

Some undertakings seem so enormous and so complex that, 
although we agree we ought to do them, we have no idea 
where to start. Then we study them some more and find 
even more complexity... and that just bogs us down even 
further. The bigger the undertaking, says Michael Hugos,
the more you need an agile approach to make any progress 
at all.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6823/0/

2. Delayed GPLv3 Third Draft to Debut

The Free Software Foundation is releasing the penultimate 
draft of its GPLv3 license. The license gives users the 
right to freely study, copy, modify, reuse, share and 
redistribute software. It governs a good deal of free 
and open-source software, including the Linux operating 
system. Will it affect your company? You betcha.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6824/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Iron Mountain 

More Information, More Records Management Options
For enterprises' critical business data, one size does not  
fit all when it comes to data storage and protection. Geoff 
Nesnow,  Iron Mountain's senior manager of data protection 
market strategy, outlines some options and strategies for 
protecting everything from CRM data to business applications 
in this webcast with CXO Managing Editor Jim Malone. Click 
here to watch the webcast.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6654/0/ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. RFID Research Project Examining Security and Privacy in the Supply Chain

The primary focus of the "Privacy and Security" module 
addresses security aspects of data storage, processing and 
sharing in the RFID-enabled supply chain. Do you think we
could have shoved more buzzwords into that description?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6825/0/

4. Takeaways from CSO Perspectives 

Two hundred security executives gathered at the CSO 
Perspectives conference in Colorado Springs, last month, 
to share best practices in leading and managing security 
organizations. Here's a summary of the wisdom shared, from 
key ingredients for disaster planning to Starbuck's 
enterprise security techniques.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6826/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. Are You an Extreme CIO?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6769/0/

2. Leadership: Keys to Retention
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6770/0/

3. Podcast: Baldoni on Avoiding Employee Turf Wars
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6776/0/

4. Web Services: Kiss The Pig
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6772/0/

5. Jakob Nielsen: Five Things I've Learned 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6773/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/2633/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Symantec 

Veritas Storage Foundation™ HA for Windows® by Symantec

This paper describes the specific challenges of maintaining 
availability for Microsoft Exchange, both Exchange 2000 and 
2003 environments, and then describes how Veritas Storage 
Foundation HA for Windows addresses these risks. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/6498/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to stop getting CIO Insider,
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/u?id=139199U&o=716969&l=cio_insider

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences, 
please go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/2635/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/2633/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Lori Kehoe at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/2636/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/716969/139199/2637/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007 All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].