Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] shroud storage for trailering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:02:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2007 2:54:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I keep mine bungied and taught to the mast. The mast rests on the bow  
holder, and on the telescoping mast crutch aft. During transit, the mast  crutch is 
lowered and the mast sits on the pop top (on something soft). Not  much room 
in the cockpit for maneuvering with an unstepped mast, unless you  want 
clearance by raising the mast up device.

I'm new at this but I must be on the right track, because this is about the  
same thing I do, except I use the long red Velcro ties instead of bungies, and 
 have a short support block between the mast and the step. The block is 
pinned to  the step with the mast pin and the block has a strap that passes over 
the  mast.
 
Russ Hauser
Tavares, FL
1982 Swing Keel
Serenity Now! #11337
CTYH1337M82L

************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com

---

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:24:17 -0400

Oh, while subsequently writing about the wire holding my anchor shackle bolt
to the shackle, it reminded me of this subject.
 
I have open turnbuckles.  I always run a thin line through the ones on the
starboard side, and the ones on the port side, for the same reason -- to
keep them from loosening, unscrewing and falling off.  I lost one a couple
years ago, so I tie them together since so they can't loosen on the road and
disappear.  (I went nuts looking for it in my yard, come the following
spring, with no luck.)
 
Chip Ford --
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chip Ford
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 6:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] shroud storage for trailering

Jason, I don't trailer much -- once a season to launch "Chip Ahoy," once to
bring it home for winter storage.  But I've found that bungie cords wrapped
around the rigging and mast strategically works very well and is quick to
accomplish.  Once bungied, I can move into the cockpit and cabin with
relative ease, without getting caught up in loose rigging.  See especially:
 
"Upgrade, Repair, Restoration, Refinishing Projects and How-Tos"
http://chipford.com/projects.htm
 
Scroll down to and click on:
"Mast support for storage/towing"
 
In more detail . . .
 
See:
http://chipford.com/graphics/061028_05.jpg
http://chipford.com/graphics/061028_06.jpg
http://chipford.com/graphics/061028_09.jpg
 
Soon after I get "Chip Ahoy" home -- before the first snow arrives -- I set
up my PVC pipe skeleton frame and cover the boat with a couple large tarps.
For photos on this, and more photos on the mast supported and rigging
bungied, see:
http://chipford.com/covering_for_winter.htm
 
As explained if you went to the link above ("Mast support for
storage/towing"), I have the mast supported in three places:  I have the
homemade 2X4 "X" frame in the cockpit fastened with rope against the transom
which supports the top end; I've stapled a piece of carpet in the "V" where
the mast rests.  I have a piece of 2X2 oak which I cut a curved notch in at
its top through which I drilled a hole and pass a length of line through and
tie down the mast with; drilled a hole through at its bottom through which I
secure it to the mast step plate with the mast step bolt.  Atop the bow
pulpit I tie another piece of 2X4 (carpeted) to which I secure the bottom of
the mast.
 
Like Jay, my roller furler and the weight of its drum extend about two feet
beyond the bottom of my mast.  He uses a piece of copper pipe inside the
open base of the mast and attaches the furler to it.  I use a length of 1"
wood to do the same with a bungie cord wrapped around both.
 
Come spring -- usually in early March -- I uncover the boat.  The next step
is to remove the mast from the boat entirely and set it alongside on a few
sawhorses until I'm ready to launch.
See:
http://chipford.com/graphics/070628_idle.jpg
http://chipford.com/graphics/070501_sale2.jpg
 
I hope this helps, gives you some ideas.
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [ <mailto:[email-masked]>
mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jason Mercer
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH TIPS] shroud storage for trailering

I'm wondering what others do with their shrouds/stays when they prepare
their boats for trailering.  Particularly, does anyone have a good
system for neatly securing the stays so that you can still maneuver
inside the cockpit once the boat is on the trailer?

Jason Mercer
Durham, NC
1974 Swing Keel #3058
"Lazy 7"