Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina 22 (tech) through-hulls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:08:45 -0500

I plan to put a couple of holes through my deck.   I know to  drill it
oversize, fill it, and redrill to size, but what should I fill it with?
Any specific suggestions?   THese holes would be about 1/4", so it may be
tough to pour a liquid in.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
Surprise #15434

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:26:41 -0500

Our hulls are solid fiberglass.  I don't see a need to overdrill the 
holes, like you might with a cored hull.

bob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:38:52 -0500

This hole is through the cabin deck and there is a wood core.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
Surprise #15434

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:03:48 -0500

Wellllll....  In that case, use masking tape over the bottom of the 
oversized hole. Fill the hole with either West Systems or some other 
epoxy that will flow into the wood (some may need to be thinned a 
little, West won't need to be).  You should use one of the slower 
hardeners so you have a chance to add some more epoxy as the first batch 
saturates the wood and leaves the very top of the hole unsaturated when 
the epoxy level falls in the hole.  Don't use a thickener sine you want 
the epoxy to soak into the wood. 

IMHO, the oversized hole should only be larger enough so that you can 
redrill the proper sized hole without getting outside the saturated area 
- not knowing how well you can drill a hole.  ;-)

bob

---

From: "Ken Palmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:38:07 -0500

Its pretty easy to fill small holes, go to the farm store  pick up a package 
of sringes, they will have several sizes. (you can buy a package there for 
what WM will charge you for one)
When you get the epoxy mixed (epoxy is what I use) pull it into the sringe, 
tape the bottom of the hole, I also tape the top then carefully cut around 
the hole to be filled.
I use blue masking tape, Fill the hole.
You can also clean out the epoxy then use the sringe again and again.

~~~_/) ~~~
Fair Winds
Ken Palmer
"Last Penny"
C22 #10475

---

From: Bob Keim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:06:24 -0500

You can use them over and over again, until you loan them to another 
boating friend and either never get them back, or they get put up with 
getting cleaned.  :-D

bob

Ken Palmer wrote:
> Its pretty easy to fill small holes, go to the farm store  pick up a 
> package of sringes, they will have several sizes. (you can buy a 
> package there for what WM will charge you for one)
> When you get the epoxy mixed (epoxy is what I use) pull it into the 
> sringe, tape the bottom of the hole, I also tape the top then 
> carefully cut around the hole to be filled.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <[email-masked]>

---

From: Lee Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:55:10 -0500

Kent,

Drill the hole, go below into the cabin and cover the hole with a piece of masking tape, then go back up and fill it with epoxy.  Some of the epoxy will seep into the pores of the wood core, so you may need to drip some more into the hole after a few minutes to keep it full.  Masking off around the top is not a bad idea either, as you will invariably miss and drip some epoxy around such a small hole.  If it gets on the gellcoat and you don't wipe it all up, or don't notice it, it will yellow after a few weeks in the sun, and then you'll really notice it.

Drill the smaller hole in the center of the cured epoxy as soon as the epoxy cures.  Do it while the epoxy is still rubbery and has not hardened fully, or it may crack when you put the screw in.  If it's a through-bolt rather than a screw, you're probably OK.

Lee

--

LEE A. SCOTT

'81 Catalina 22 - #10212

'Shoot the Breeze'

Birmingham, AL

[email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
Surprise #15434

---

From: Marc Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:13:03 -0600

As you're waiting for the epoxy to soak in, it might be good to have a 
cooler or freezer to store the mixed epoxy in (or make 2 small batches 
as needed).   I was in the middle of this exact task when called away by 
a phone call.  When it got back the epoxy was smoking.  You may not need 
the syringe -- in warmer weather West will pour well enough out of a 
tuna / cat food can (my favorite mixing container because you can mix 
thoroughly and the flat bottom dissipates heat).

Marc Robertson
C-22 #4680

Bob Keim wrote:

> hardeners so you have a chance to add some more epoxy as the first 
> batch saturates the wood and leaves the very top of the hole 
> unsaturated when the epoxy level falls in the hole.  Don't use a 
> thickener sine you want the epoxy to soak into the wood.
> redrill the proper sized hole without getting outside the saturated 
> area - not knowing how well you can drill a hole.  ;-)
>
>
> bob
>
>
> [email-masked] wrote:
>