Subject: CryoNet #29503 - #29505

From: CryoNet <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 2007 09:00:02 -0000

CryoNet - Fri 11 May 2007

    #29504: [biomed] [tt] Bluetoothed phone sends vitals to remote medica... [Eugen Leitl]
    #29505: 236'th update on fly longevity experiments [oberon]

Rate This Digest: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29503%2D29505

Administrivia

To subscribe to CryoNet, send email to:
    [email-masked]
with the subject line (not message _body_):
    subscribe
To unsubscribe, use the subject line:
    unsubscribe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29504
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:07:38 +0200
From: Eugen Leitl <[email-masked]>
Subject: [biomed] [tt] Bluetoothed phone sends vitals to remote medica...

----- Forwarded message from "Hughes, James J." <[email-masked]> -----

From: "Hughes, James J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:21:14 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [biomed] [tt] Bluetoothed phone sends vitals to remote medica...
	monitoring, receives warnings

The firm:

http://www.alivetec.com/

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7218/

Bluetooth health monitoring lets you upload your vital stats to your
doctor from home

May 9, 2007 Turning the health-care model upside down, a small
Australian company is working on bluetooth technology that logs and
transmits medical observation data to a central network through a mobile
phone - so your doctor can call YOU when a problem is developing.
Alive's bluetooth technology is already proving useful in the recovery
of cardiac outpatients and the diagnosis of sleep apnea - and a range of
products in development aim to make advancements in health monitoring
for diabetics, mountaineers and athletes in training.

The core of the Alive technology is a fairly simple idea - bluetooth
enabled health monitoring devices such as heart rate & activity
monitors, ECGs, blood oximeters and blood glucose meters that
communicate with software on your mobile phone to log and upload
information to a central internet server.

The information can be uploaded in real-time over a GPRS mobile data
connection if constant monitoring is required - such as in the case of
cardiac arrest patients who are beginning to use exercise as part of
their recovery - or saved onboard the device on an SD card to be batch
uploaded at a convenient time if the data isn't so urgent.

This means that vital health information can be relayed to medical
professionals without the need to visit a hospital, either constantly,
daily or as needed. It's a major step forward in convenience for people
who need various body metrics monitored, and could serve to relieve
stress on overcrowded health systems.

Cardio Mobile program

The Alive Heart and Activity Monitor is already at work. "We have a
program running with the Queensland University of Technology at the
moment," explains Alive Technologies CEO Bruce Satchwell, " it's called
the Cardio Mobile Project, based around cardio rehabilitation. Patients
who have had some kind of heart problem - traditionally they'd come in
to a hospital and do some exercises in the hospital, all hooked up to
monitoring equipment.

"With cardio mobile they're able to have their ECG output monitored
remotely through the internet as they exercise. In the worst case you
can call an ambulance I guess... Although that never happens. People who
have had a heart problem are sometimes terrified of exercise, they think
it will bring on another heart condition and they don't exercise - so
things just get worse. With proper exercise you can take these probems
on. Cardio Mobile lets people get on with their lives and exercise in
their own time, out of hospital, in the knowledge that their doctor can
monitor them for problems."

Sleep apnea diagnosis

Sleep apnea is an increasingly common condition in which individuals
pause from breathing several times a night. This leads to sleep
disruption, snoring and all the symptoms you'd expect if you weren't
getting quality sleep - everything from irritability and lack of
concentration to high blood pressure and eventually heart problems. It's
a serious and debilitating condition that can only be diagnosed while
the patient is asleep.

Traditionally, diagnosis and monitoring of sleep apnea has required
patients to spend the night in a sleep laboratory connected to ECGs and
blood oximeters. But the unfamiliar environment of the sleep lap is very
different to the comfort of a patient's own bedroom, and the experience
can be quite traumatic, particularly for the very young and very old -
which no doubt has an effect on results.

The Alive devices make the experience vastly less invasive and more
convenient. Satchwell explains: "The Alive Pulse Oximeter just clips on
your finger and transmits remotely to your phone - there's no need to
spend the night at a sleep lab. The data just gets sent to the lab in
the morning and gives them everything they need to assess your
condition. There's been a real need for a simple, comfortable method to
screen for sleep apnea in your own home. It's also a convenient and a
non-invasive way to measure the effectiveness of various treatments over
the course of a night's sleep."

The bluetooth oximeter is also of interest to pilots, mountaineers and
others involved in physical efforts at high altitudes where atmospheric
oxygen levels can drop quite low. "We've got an expedition to Everest
taking our gear up with them soon," says Satchwell, "they'll be able to
log and upload their blood oxygen levels at intervals as they go up."

Diabetes management

Alive's Diabetes Management System is designed to reduce reporting error
and increase convenience in diabetic glucose level management. Instead
of the normal routine of pin-pricking the finger, measuring glucose
levels and writing them down, the Alive system simply stores a log of
the data which can be transmitted at intervals to an endocrinologist who
can intervene with various treatments or suggestions when changes are
detected.

Exercise and training logging

"While most of our work is in medical applications, we're also seeing
plenty of potential for this equipment in athletic training," says
Satchwell, "because it allows you to log a fantastic amount of
information about your daily training. Take a runner or a cyclist for
example. We're developing a system that we call the Alive Sports System
where your heart rate monitor connects to a bluetooth GPS phone and logs
your speed, location and heart rate through the duration of your daily
run.

"When you're done, you upload the information to our system and you can
watch your whole exercise session over again in fast-forward. You watch
your little man running around on a Google Map of the neighbourhood. A
sidebar shows how fast you were going, what your heart-rates were at
every step of the way and even, with the mini accelerometers, how much
hang-time you got in the air over a particular jump. As you build up
this store of data, people who are fairly serious about their training
will be able to directly see their speed and fitness improving over
time." 

This type of exercise monitoring has already been successfully tested on
a runner in the Gold Coast marathon.

Microsoft Australia have been testing an interesting application of the
technology to assist athletes in training as well - a system by which
the heart rate/activity monitor communicates with an MP3 player. "If
you're not going hard enough," says Satchwell, "the MP3 player picks a
faster song for you next. You tend to match your cadence and effort
level to the music. This little gadget uses faster and slower songs to
encourage you to keep your heart rate at an ideal level for cardio
training, weight loss or whatever you're aiming for. It's quite a clever
idea."

Future targets

Satchwell says Alive is continuing to concentrate on medical
applications of the equipment. There's no reason, he says, why a broader
range of equipment couldn't be commercialised with the technology and
made available to consumers. Bathroom scales to plot weight charts,
simple consumer machinery to take blood pressure measurements and other
monitoring equipment to build a picture of an individual's health
changes over time that can be accessed remotely by GPs and other medical
staff.

The convenience of local logging and easy uploading is the key to this
small medical revolution that could bring preventative healthcare to new
levels.
_______________________________________________
tt mailing list
[email-masked]
http://postbiota.org/mailman/listinfo/tt
_______________________________________________
biomed mailing list
[email-masked]
http://postbiota.org/mailman/listinfo/biomed

----- End forwarded message -----
-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29504

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message #29505
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: 236'th update on fly longevity experiments

     This is the 236'th update of my fly longevity experiments. Average
 temperature was 23.7 C during this run. Estimated maximal longevity using
 the formula (363 - T*11.2) is 97 days.
     Hawthorn products had been tested before in runs #7, #9, #22, #84,
 #100, with some success. Here I try a hawthorn product with enhanced
 absorption characteristics. I also look at serrapeptase, which is an item
 of interest to humans with hardening of the arteries. My previous tests
 of a similar product called nattokinase in runs #186, and #188 were
 negative. Here I try enhancing the absorption of serrapeptase by
 combining it with phosphatidylcholine in a blender. Chrysin and histidine
 round out this experiment.
     Although there was a hint of a benefit with low dose hawthorn
 phytosome, and low dose chrysin, the longest living fly was still a
 control one.

 Run #236                               Percent Survival on Day
 supplement                      6  17 25 32 40 50 57 64 71 80 87 95
 ___________________________________________________________________
 control one                    81  75 69 56 38 19 13  6  6  6  6  0
 control two                    96  65 54 42 35 12  4  0  -  -  -  -
 chrysin 125 mg                 91  78 70 65 52 39 26  9  4  0  -  -
   "     500 mg                100  89 83 72 56 28 17 11  0  -  -  -
 hawthorn phytosome 50 mg      100  93 67 47 47 40 33 20  7  0  -  -
   "               200 mg       96  52 30 22 17 13  9  0  -  -  -  -
 histidine 125 mg              100 100 85 70 55 15  0  -  -  -  -  -
   "       500 mg               91  77 55 55 41 27  0  -  -  -  -  -
 phoshatidylcholine (PC) 105 mg 96  85 73 58 23 23 12  4  4  4  0  -
 (PC) + serrapeptase 4 mg       83  67 33 33 22 11  0  -  -  -  -  -
 (PC) + serrapeptase 15 mg     100  78 63 44 30 11  4  0  -  -  -  -

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=29505

----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of CryoNet Digest
*********************