Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] Catalina22 (tech) ( boom bottom adjustable double ended ma...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:18:30 EDT

Don't do that Jay.  
 
First, the best use for track on the boom is what is called high beam track  
centered on the boom to prevent the boom from bending too much when applying 
the  vang. In this fashion the track could hold the vang, although with just a  
four foot piece of track, maybe too far aft.  In your case it could hold  
your pivoting main sheet block although perhaps more forward than you'd  like. 
 
Second, how are you going to attach the pivoting block to the car on the  
track?  I cannot think of any device made to do this, so I guess you have  access 
to a machine shop.
 
I once tried using one of those pivoting blocks on my boom as some racers  
do.  However, I found it difficult to use as the block with its cam cleat  
swings in an arch with the boom making it tricky to have a constant pull and  
release on the cam cleat.  Also, having the sheet flying around with the  swinging 
boom may be acceptable to racers, but for more relaxed sailing it is a  poor 
system.
 
Here's what I do:
 
_http://tinyurl.com/88t92_ (http://tinyurl.com/88t92) 

Now there is this misguided belief that having the main sheet directly in  
front of the companionway blocks easy entrance into the cabin.  I have  found 
this completely untrue.  It is entirely a matter of  inexperienced perception 
that causes this.  Some boats place their main  sheets on top of the cabin to 
avoid this while getting the mainsheet forward,  but in practice, this is a 
lousy configuration.  It makes operation of the  main sheet very difficult and 
subject to using a winch on it.  What could  be slower?  Racing vessels and those 
genuinely set up for sailing as  opposed to those looking well for your 
non-sailing companions commonly  place their mainsheets on a track right in front 
of the companionway simply  because it is the best place to put it.
 
Remember, when you're sailing, nobody is down in the cabin anyway, so a  line 
across the companionway an't gonna make a spit of difference.  But,  
interiors and spacious cockpits sell boats as opposed to sailing, so we tend to  get 
mainsheets over the cabin or in the case of the Catalina 22 that ridiculous  
fiddle block precariously hanging and banging around on the traveler bar.  
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT
In a message dated 4/20/2007 6:49:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

OK, I have one more thing for you folks to think  about over the weekend!  I 
was just about to mount my pivoting  block/cleat at a pre-determined distance 
on the boom ( it was going to hang  over the companion way....and it will 
still), but after reading some  posts about adding that pivoting block to the 
boom, some would  place it near the aft end, some over the threshold of the 
companion way, some  thoughts were from racers, some from cruisers.  My mind was 
made  up.  Over the threshold it will go....but if I put it here that would be  
nice as well, I thought.  That's when I decided to mount a 3', 1" wide  track 
to the bottom side of my boom.  It start's at about six feet from  the mast ( 
where the block will hang just over the threshold of the companion  way), and 
then runs three feet aft ( which is kinda the middle of the cockpit  seating) 
The pivoting block/cleat will be mounted to a car that has a spring  loaded 
stop.  This will allow me to adjust the block forward, or back,  within the three 
feet of track.  So no matter where I'm at in the  cockpit, I'll have 
convenient control of the mainsheet.  Of course photos  will be coming as soon as it's 
ready to show off.  I think that's pretty  much it for the boom.....except 
for the pump assisted long straw that would be  connected to the boom (in easy 
reach of ones mouth)and the other end is a can  of adult beverage (your choice) 
that is kept frosty while sitting in the  cooler.  See ya, Jay
 
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY
1989 Wing Keel  (CjAndeai)
CTYH5021E989

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.