Subject: Re: [ExI] I'll Drink to That!

From: "Mike Dougherty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:49:33 -0400

On 5/11/07, MB <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55627
> Good grief.  People get upset by the strangest things. I mean, how seriously do you
> have to take some stranger's comment printed on your coffee cup? Do they think it's
> some kind of omen or pronouncement or great truth? It's just paper trash.
>
> Or maybe it's just the internet has given upset people a wider audience so they go
> for it.

Maybe we should attack McDonalds for the multi-lingual "I'm lovin' it"
message written on their cups?  While I have consumed beverages from
McDonalds, I would not go so far as to exclaim that I am in fact,
"Lovin' It" - therefore I feel this cup may inadvertantly misrepresent
my apathy to casual observers.  We'll have to play down the fact that
casual observers are generally so concerned with their own life's
drama(s) they they barely acknowledge my existance anyway.

If one's faith (or lack of faith) can be subverted by text printed on
a coffee cup, then maybe they shouldn't be visiting so memetically
dangerous a place as a coffee shop?  Imagine if artists and poets were
there with actual ideas to express.  Clearly those roots should be
antiseptically burned away from Starbucks to leave only the sterile
money grubbing super store American expect.

If stories like these represent various flavors of humanity, then I
have a much better appreciation for the term "post-human" as the state
which has willed away such nonsensical concerns.
_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat