Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] where to put Chip's handrails

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:06:50 EDT

Chip:
 
Putting the handrails onto the top of the pop top looks like a nice way to  
do things, but realistically, this might cause havoc when going forward as it  
will not only use up precious foot room, but expose the handrails to your  
feet and weight which may break the handrails.  In their current  position, the 
pop top lifts your feet above the handrails so they're  protected.
 
The real issue is the winches.  Unless you need those winches for  "cross 
sheeting" the jib sheets where you can winch down the jib sheet from  windward, 
I'd say you really do not need those winches.  First, you have a  furler, so 
you just haul on the genoa halyard most likely only once at the  beginning of 
the season and then perhaps an occasional adjustment form time to  time to 
adjust the halyard tension.  So for the genoa halyard you don't  need a winch and 
you could probably just cleat it off to the mast.   However, a rope clutch for 
the furling line would be good, but again, if you  have to use a winch to 
shorten a furling genoa on a twenty-two foot boat,  then you really have some 
problem with your furler.  So again, a winch is  not needed for the genoa.
 
For the main, a cunningham will work just as well as a winch for  halyard 
tension, so again, no winch needed for the main.
 
What you really need are halyards with less stretch and creep, say  something 
with Dyneema SK-75.  If you use a single braid for this purpose,  making an 
eye to hold a shackle is a snap and you can even very easily put in a  thimble. 
 Many of the single braids today have coatings to protect them  from UV 
making the need for a double braided line unnecessary in our part of the  country.  
Your lines are covered all winter you know. 
 
So, for the moment, consider eliminating those winches which will then  allow 
you to move the clutches aft to the edge of the cabin roof and easily  
reinstall your now fou loop handrails.   

Bayard  Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 4/10/2007 8:00:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I've pretty much  decided to do the same, Glenn:  I think that's the easiest 
way to move on  at this point, and it still leaves someplace within reach to  
grab.
 
There's quite a  variation in cabintop design in our boats from year to year, 
I've  discovered.  Funny, I'd never noticed it before.
 
Chip Ford  --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy"  #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  _www.chipford.com_ (http://www.chipford.com/) 

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

---

From: "Robert Bemben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:19:44 +0000

Now that's a fundamental analysis of the situation, Bayard. You've got me 
convinced that I don't need a cabin top winch either; at least one of them 
could go.

Thinking like a lawyer for a moment, it seems to me that a teak rail on the 
pop top would invite its use while the pop top is up, thereby endangering 
any cabin occupants. On the other hand, a rail there might be useful to hold 
while raising or lowering the pop top.

Robert Bemben
Bliss Twp., Michigan
1991 C22 wing keel
Sail # 15185
"Jib Dance"

>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] where to put Chip's handrails
>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:06:50 EDT
>
>
>
>Chip:
>

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/