Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [maint] lower gudgeon leak

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:33:01 EDT

Mark
 
I'd trust Bob better than my memory - it ain't what it used to be --- but  
then maybe it never was, I can't remember!!!!!!!!
 
Greg  Nelson
#5953
SOBB TOO
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,  AZ

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:43:37 EDT

Too funny Greg. Thanks for the info. Bob maybe I need "go, go Gadget arms!!" 
(If anyone remembers the "Professor Gadget" cartoon)...

Mark Blanton
1976 #6554, Swing Keel
Mer-Sea
Cary,NC

**************************************
 Get a sneak peek of the all-new 
AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:38:17 EDT

The lower gudgeon should be a snap to fix.  You should have easy  access to 
the nuts on the inside.  The original bolts should be slotted  screw heads and 
are a pain to remove by oneself as you must attach a socket or a  wrench on 
the inside so that its handle stops against something while you  unscrew form 
the outside.  Did this myself.
 
Replace the slotted screw heads with hex head bolts and you'll have an  
easier time with the reinstallation.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT

In a message dated 7/25/2007 3:30:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I think I have the dreaded lower gudgeon leak. I notice  the water mainly 
after we have been motoring. If, I'm anchored, I can sponge  it all up and not 
much new water seems to appear. Question, how do you access  the bolts/nuts 
inside the boat? Greg, did you cut an access hole? 
Mark  Blanton
1976 #6554, Swing  Keel
Mer-Sea
Cary,NC

**************************************
Get  a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at  
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:47:52 EDT

Bob:
 
Replace the screws with hex head bolts.  Much easier  installation.  Should 
be 1/4 inch, as I recall.  Length?  Well, I  don't think you'll go wrong with 
two inches, but I really cant remember.
 
Don't worry, many people have told me I have a few loose screws  myself.
 
Bayard Gross
CTYH9911M81B
BABY BLUE

http://tinyurl.com/4qaq7
Greenwich, CT
In a message dated 7/25/2007 6:30:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Mark,  you only need an arm long enough to reach from the outside to the 
inside of  the boat.  :-D 

The  nuts are exposed on the inside of the transom.  You can reach them  
through the gas tank hatch, if you crawl in upside down, or you can simply  crawl 
back there with the appropriate sized wrench - 3/8", IRRC.  Of  course you 
really do need someone outside the boat to hold the screws, or  tighten them 
while you hold the nuts.  

Haha, I'll be in there  this weekend myself, as I let them get loose and lost 
one of the screws... Uh  does anybody know the length and diameter of those  
screws?

bob

[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  wrote:  

**************************************
Get  a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
_http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour_ (http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour) 

-- 

Bob Keim

Nashville, TN

1976 C22 Pursuit