Subject: [Catalina-22] [GENERAL] Wing Keel vs. Swing Keel

From: "GBSWEATH" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:15:06 -0500

Hello,

My name is Gary Booker and this is my first time posting.  I've been a
"Lurker" for approx. a year.  I used to own a Hobie 16 and did a little
racing on a Catalina 27 and a Cal 29 back in the late 70's.

I've learned a great deal about the Cat 22 over the past year thanks to this
site and all of you who post here.

Thanks to this site I feel I've learned enough about the Cat 22 that I'm now
looking to purchase and hopefully soon.  I've located a 1989 Wing Keel that
appears in pictures to be in very good shape.  I'm going to try and take a
look at it Saturday.

I plan to someday do a little racing but most of my sailing in the near
future is cruising.  I will most likely sail on some of the lakes in Central
Texas (Canyon Lake, Lake Travis) which are generally deep until very near
the shore.

My questions are:

1. What are the pros and cons of a wing keel vs. a swing keel?  I've heard
that the wing keel does not point as well as a swing keel but is it really
that big of a difference?

2. Is one type keel stiffer in a breeze than the other?

3. What problems should I look for tomorrow when looking at the keel area?
I'm pretty familiar with the swing keel issues and I've read Dick King's
Boat Purchase Tips but it doesn't mention anything about the wing keel.

4. What would be considered a good price to pay for a 1989 wing keel with
some pretty nice upgrades:

The main and jib were replaced in 2004.  The boat supposedly comes with a
110, a CDI 135 Roller Furler, and a 150 Genoa, Cockpit white vinyl cushions,
Custom Stern Perch Seats, Custom Teak (Removable) Doors), Jiffy Reef System,
Tiller Stay & Extension, Bimini (stainless steel frame), Sunbrella: Main
Sail, Motor cover, Hatch cover, Tiller cover and Seat Pads for stern perch
seats, anchor w\chain & line, Swim Ladder, Shoreline Galvanized Trailer with
tongue extension and new tires in 2004.

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Gary Booker
Missouri City, TX
Looking to Buy