Subject: Re: [ExI] C does not stand for the speed of light... (Colbert)

From: Damien Broderick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:00:48 -0500

At 10:28 PM 5/2/2007 +0200, Amara quoth Colbert:

>C does not stand for the speed of light, c is for cookie."

I stared at this in dumb bewilderment for a while. This is a joke? 
This is supposed to be hilariously *funny*? But obviously it was, so 
it occurred to me that it must be some tag familiar to generations of 
USians. Isn't there a show that kids watch called "Sesame Street"? 
And lo! google tells me this refers to the refrain of something 
called the Cookie Monster. Talk about generation gap...  And it can 
only get more severe.

Damien Broderick 

_______________________________________________
extropy-chat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.extropy.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/extropy-chat

---

From: Josh Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 19:36:07 -0400

Perhaps you'd have preferred a "Wiggles" reference? At least that deals 
with the geographical issue.

Josh

---

From: Damien Broderick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:54:37 -0500

>Perhaps you'd have preferred a "Wiggles" reference?

a *what*?

---

From: Emlyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:32:20 +0930

It's a generation gap, not a culture gap. I watched sesame street,
pronounced "zed" as "zee" for years...

Emlyn

---

From: Damien Broderick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 19:10:13 -0500

>pronounced "zed" as "zee" for years...

Yep. When I was a lot closer to 20 or 30 than I am now, I wandered 
into an Aussie rumpus room where the TV set was minding a bunch o' smalls.

"This is a care-f," said the woman's voice, possibly from Sesame 
Street, showing a carf ambling beside a cow. "Say `care-f'!"

All the little Aussies dutifully cried: "`Caaaaaare-f'!"

And yet--oddly enuff, Aussies maintain an idiosyncratic accent even 
so, unless they've been to very posh schools.

Damien Broderick