Subject: CIO Insider: Recruiting in a Hot Job Market

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:00:00 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
July 25, 2007

Recruiting in a Hot Market

Hot enough for ya?

When it comes to IT recruiting, targeting professionals 
already working in IT is a no-brainer. But most IT leaders 
with their "same industry, same job" blinders on don't 
realize how vast the audience of IT talent actually is. 
Forrester's IT Staffing and Careers analyst Samuel Bright 
shares four tips for expanding your known universe of 
experienced IT workers and improving your recruiting 
effort exponentially. You'll also learn tips for attracting 
millenials and the secret ways of getting to the "shadow 
market" of IT recruits.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10082/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Network Wonder: Collaborative Tools Help TCS Grow
2. Agile Projects Need Real-Time Plans
3. Energy Efficiency 4.0
4. Need a Jump Start on an IT Topic? Our ABCs Can Help

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Ariba

ERP and Spend Management: A Perfect Combination

Learn how spend management can accelerate and expand the value of 
your ERP system. Used together, you can consolidate and analyze data 
from multiple sources in a single place, achieve year-to-year cost 
savings, and increase profitability. Get the free white paper today.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10083/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Network Wonder: Collaborative Tools Help TCS Grow

How do you create a collaborative setting with a legacy 
network? You don't. You get a new network. TCS did just 
that and is reaping dividends today. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10084/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Interactive Intelligence

Internet Protocol Communications on the Brain

Recent research reveals a strong migration to Internet Protocol 
communications. Download this white paper to discover why business 
and IT leaders are increasingly turning to this technology, and 
also get advice from the trenches on IP strategy.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10085/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Agile Projects Need Real-Time Plans

It is a common but mistaken notion that the system builder 
should both run the project and also do the project office 
work, says Michael Hugos. This is analogous to the idea 
that the manager of a business unit should both run the 
unit's operations and also do the accounting for the unit.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10086/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Oracle

ORACLE FUSION: CRM, ERP and Business Applications Redefined

A ‘perfect storm’ of business factors and IT shifts is causing 
senior executives to rethink their perception of middleware. Is 
it time for CIOs to re-evaluate middleware’s role in CRM, ERP 
and supply chain transformation strategies? Is the movement to 
SOA enough to justify a broader definition of what ‘middleware’ 
really means? Read this piece to explore the answers to these 
questions. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10087/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Energy Efficiency 4.0

Hardware efficiency improvement is the primary target of 
the new Energy Star 4.0 specifications that went in effect 
this past Friday, but improvements to network-level power 
management are also being addressed. The new standards 
regulate energy performance of external and internal power 
supplies. They also give power consumption specs for idle, 
sleep and standby modes for a number of different devices, 
including PCs, desktops and gaming consoles. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10088/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by PC Guardian

Laptop Security Best Practices

One third of data breaches are a result of computer loss or theft. 
Implementation of an effective laptop security policy is essential 
in minimizing an organization's exposure. This paper discusses the 
regulatory environment and management challenges around laptop 
security, and provides a detailed best practices checklist of the 
latest mobile computer security policies. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10089/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Need a Jump Start on an IT Topic? Our ABCs Can Help

If the boss says, "I'd like to see you in my office at 4:00pm
so you can explain what this ITIL [or Enterprise 2.0 or 
Software as a Service] stuff is all about," don't contemplate 
a quick getaway. Hie thee hence to our super collection of 
"ABC" tutorials, which cover everything from CRM to ERP to 
virtualization. We're mighty proud of this collection, as the
tutorials are geared towards IT managers who understand
technology -- just not necessarily *this* bit of technology.

If an ABC topic is missing, drop me (your loyal newsletter 
editor) a note; if the subject isn't already in a late stage of 
development, I'll pass the word along. Especially if your message
also includes a silly joke. I always appreciate silly jokes when
the temperature goes over 100. Praise doesn't hurt, either.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10090/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. How to Spot a Failing Project
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10052/0/

2. Nine Things CIOs Wished You Knew About Their Jobs
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10053/0/

3. The Hiring Manager Interviews: Techniques for Sussing Out Candidates
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10054/0/

4. Five Tips for Getting the Vacation You Need
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10055/0/

5. Review: LifeSize Brings HD Videoconferencing to a Meeting Room Near You
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10056/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by TIBCO

Executives Warn: SOA Demands More Than Just Technical Change

In recent research, CIOs report that, to ensure success, SOA implementations 
require organizational, procedural and even psychological adaptation. 
This white paper describes the challenges associated with SOA, and offers 
guidance on how to avoid the pitfalls.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/10091/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1012937/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].