Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [general]

From: "Pete Skalski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:28:37 -0500

Bob, I left Georgia (Augusta area) in '98 and migrated north to Ohio. Be
forewarned, it is not nearly the same up here! When I bought my boat,
there was no trailer that came with it, so I had to find a trailer. I was
lucky to locate one in Atlanta. It doesn't have brakes. In fact, it
wasn't registered either as at the time Georgia didn't require it. The
trip up went okay, but upon arrival I noticed that my ball hitch was a
little loose. Good thing my boat didn't break away and pass me on the
ride! Check the ball hitch torque before you depart. Anyway, in GA at
Lake Thurmond (Chalk Hill Reservoir) we had 70,000 acres of water with
plenty of gunkholes available, and the boat was in her slip year round.
Up here, Buckeye Lake offers barely 3,000 acres with no gunkholes.
Sailing is adequate but not nearly the fun I had in GA. The thought of
heading back south at some point is definitely not out of the question.
Especially when you consider the whacko weather we have been having in
this area (calling for more of the S word again tomorrow). Pete11212 82
SKLiberty Pass
Buckeye Lake, OH

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Bob Keim"
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [general]
  Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:48:11 -0500

  Thanks for pointing that out Wes!

  Georgia has a limit of 2,500 pounds BTW.  I guess when I was
  researching it, I never considered I'd be going to Ohio to sail.  In
  fact, I'm still trying to get used to the idea.  :-D

  I used the bumper word generically.  While my U-haul truck indeed has
  a bumper hitch, we've welded it to the bumper and it extends forward
  to the frame, in addition to being something other than the standard
  bumper.   Thanks for encouraging me to strengthen the hitch and
  integrate protection for the 2nd fuel tank that gets scrapped on my
  driveway each time I go in and out. 

  bob

  Wes Iiames wrote:

10% tongue weight is what's recommended, however with a 3,000#+ gross, I
wouldn't use a bumper bolt-on, best to get an appropriately sized
receiver style hitch.  Also, in Ohio, the requirement for trailer brakes
is 2,000# Hate to have something happen (wreck) and not have brakes. 
Even though it wasn't your fault,you might get cited, and I'm sure an
insurance company would jump at any opportunity to deny a claim (see
Hurricane Katrina).  What was it Shakespeare said ... "First, kill all
the insurance agents", no, wait, maybe that was lawyers.   <grin> Fair
Winds Wes IiamesCincinnati, OH1981 Swing KeelMiss Spent YouthSail # 10154CTYH0154M81G