Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:32:37 -0400

Wow, you can do that, Paul:  just uncover "Ragamuffin" and it's ready to
go?!?  Congratulations, I think.
 
I've got a good month of repairs, maintenance, and upgrades ahead of me --
weather determining the exact launch date:  realistically late-May, more
likely early-June as usual, considering the monsoon seasons we typically
have.  Even if I had nothing more to do to it, "Chip Ahoy" is nowhere near
ready to be launched yet.  If uncovering "Chip Ahoy" was all that is
required, it'd still take me a couple weeks of steady simple annual
maintenance and prep work, reinstalling and reloading.
 
I wonder, might there be a reason why your boat is "the first one there" at
the marina and "lonely"?
 
The town dock down the street isn't even there yet (it's removed in
November, back in the spring), though I noticed yesterday that there are
already a couple power boats out in the harbor on their moorings.
 
Yesterday I towed "Chip Ahoy" from its winter resting place alongside my
house  <http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_38.htm> out to the front steps,
where the work will start any day now.  (It began raining last night and is
supposed to continue until the end of the week, at least.)  Just this small
first step is invigorating!  Step out the front door and bump into "Chip
Ahoy," look out the kitchen window over the sink and there it sits, calling
for my attention.
 
Ah, the season of preparation is finally here for me,  The sooner I can get
started, the sooner I can launch! 
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website:  www.chipford.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Kingsbury's Cyclery
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

Chip
 
I uncovered my boat AND hauled it to the marina, this morning :-)   She's
dirty and lonely, I believe mine is the first boat there this year.  Wohooo
!!
 
Paul Kingsbury
Elmira, NY
 
Ragamuffin

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Ford 
To: C22 LIST <mailto:[email-masked]>  
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM
Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

Yesterday I uncovered Wally Riddle's "Carpe Diem" and today will be "Chip
Ahoy's" turn -- I think it's reasonably safe to say that winter is for all
intent at last over, that New England's Sailing Season 2007 has begun.
Though the wood stove is lit again this morning (it's 36º outside at the
moment, but supposed to rise into the 50s later), but at least the
uncovering will be done and the work can begin.  There's so much that needs
to get completed before I can launch "Chip Ahoy" that the sooner I get
started the better.  . . .

---

From: "Brian C. DeYoung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:36:32 -0400

Paul, what lake did you drop your boat in?

Brian  DeYoung

Finger Lakes Sailor

Ithaca NewYork

“footloose”

’72 swing keel

Chip

Paul Kingsbury

Elmira, NY

Ragamuffin

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Chip Ford <mailto:[email-masked]>  

started the better.

Wally's boat is going to need a good outside cleaning before I sell it off
its trailer, or a new buyer sails it.  It sat parked out alongside my house
under the trees all last season, collecting a lot of dying and dead leaves
in the fall.  Wally cleaned them all out before covering his boat in
mid-October, did a scrub of the mess as I recall.  But when I uncovered
"Carpe Diem" yesterday it's cabintop and cockpit are pretty filthy.  The
leaf tannin may have stained the fiberglass -- I'm not sure yet -- but I
recall a solution for this, some sort of mild acid:  Oxylic Acid or some
such thing.  Does anyone know the details, the product name, offhand?

One of my first "Chip Ahoy" projects needs to be repairing the damaged bow,
the hole put in it when its <http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_37.htm>  anchor
loosened from the bow pulpit where I had tied it, while on its mooring in a
nasty storm.  The first problem will be the fiberglass repair of the hole
and gouge.

The bigger problem is going to be matching that red of "Chip Ahoy's" hull,
or coming as close as I can.

Mike Wilson sent me off-list some photos of his "Tenacity" yesterday
morning, a 1977 fin keel also with a red hull that looks to be exactly the
same color and shade -- a perfect match.  After subsequent e-mail exchanges,
the problem is that neither of us has changed the color on our old C22s --
it came on boats -- so we don't know what it is or how it was applied:  even
whether it's gelcoat or paint.

I'm pretty sure "Chip Ahoy's" red was sprayed on, painted down to its white
waterline.  Where the top of the waterline meets the bottom of the red, the
red is slightly raised -- where I assume the white waterline was masked-off
before the painting.  The raised red looks about right for that process --
but since I know little or nothing about the gelcoat process, I'm not sure
how an entire hull would be gelcoated red.  Wouldn't that require being done
in the mold?

Also, I compounded "Chip Ahoy's" hull once with a fine compound and an
electric buffer the first year I owned it; polished it once with the buffer
the second year.  The third spring, before I got very far, I noted that the
"paint" was beginning to appear thin in spots, so shut down the machine and
finished <http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_24.htm#waxed>  up by hand, using
Meguiar's 50 "cleaner and wax," which I did again last spring.  I'm pretty
convinced it's paint.

Mike suggested that I contact Spectrum Color <http://spectrumcolor.com/>  --
but "Danielle" responded that they deal primarily with gelcoats.  If I send
them a paint chip the size of a quarter, Spectrum could mix me a gallon of
gelcoat.  (Fortunately, I saved the plugs from when I drilled out the
transom for the scuppers with a hole saw, "just in case I ever need to match
the paint"!)  Before I do that though, she suggested I contact Catalina
Yachts and see if they have a record of what's on "Chip Ahoy" -- she even
provided me with CY's phone number.

So I called Catalina Yachts next and spoke with "Ken," who was extremely
helpful . . . sort of.  He looked up the construction record for my hull
number and called back, though puzzled.  CY records show "Chip Ahoy"
originally came through as "Tangerine" -- and neither of us bought that
after he looked over my website.

I told him, as a former sign-painter, I'd found that One-Shot lettering
enamel, color Fire Red, almost perfectly matched my hull's red -- that I'd
used it to touch up scratches and the difference is almost imperceptible
without a trained eye.  He noted that CY used a Fire Red on its boats
starting in 1980 and could have been using it before then, depending on its
record-keeping back then.

But CY was using an Interlux "Brightside" one-part polyurethane paint, so he
sent me to Yachtpaint.com <http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp>  and
walked me through it  There I found Interlux's "Fire Red" -- and think I've
found my match!

All this for one small hole and some stupid "minor" damage that might have
been avoided (and belatedly should be in the future with my addition of
jaw-clamps and "O" rings on the bow pulpit this season to support the
anchor)!

Has anyone used Interlux Brightside polyurethane paint before?  I'm not sure
whether I need to prime the fiberglass first before applying it, after I
repair the damage.  I no longer have my portable air-compressor or small EGA
paint gun (after loaning them to a "close friend" years ago who then
disappeared down to St. Thomas), so wonder if I can use one of those Pre-Val
disposable paint sprayers for this small job?

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

---

From: "Brian C. DeYoung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:38:20 -0400

Jay, we have NO snow left here, in our area. ( I am near Paul) so I am sure
he is IN the water.

Brian  DeYoung

Busy body

’72 swing keel

Ithaca NewYork

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Thomas Holz
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 6:11 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

Paul,

       I just re-read your post.......Are you "just" at the marina, sitting
on the hard, or are you IN the water?  You mean I still might have time to
chop that ice!    Jay

Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam,NY
1989 Wing Keel (CjAndeai)
CTYH5021E989

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Kingsbury's <mailto:[email-masked]>  Cyclery 

Chip

Paul Kingsbury

Elmira, NY

Ragamuffin

----- Original Message ----- 

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

---

From: "Gareth Gammon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:28:13 -0700

MessageCongrats on an early start Paul! That's exciting and I'm envious!

I have been going through my CD handbook planning (dreaming?) of what to add to Calypso this year. A pop top enclosure is likely, but a bit expensive (anyone got a used one in GOOD condition they want to sell?) and a bit of work too because the boat hasn't got the snap fasteners installed. Maybe the teak handrails because it doesn't have those either. Also a Catalina ensignia and numbers for the main. It doesn't have those EITHER!

But it's not going to happen anytime soon. Our thaw has been delayed by a belt of high pressure (nice sunny days) but cold temps and wind. It is 5F or about -13C here as I am writing this. Too darn cold to be out working on the boat.  

I have also been looking for some directions on replacing keel bolts and the  keel cable, rubber keel hose (which has some reinforcing wire sticking out the top) and perhaps the turning ball if it needs it.  I am not planning on removing the keel, just doing the maintenance on those parts and am wondering how far off the trailer the boat has to come just to do that much. I know this is the place to come for advice!! I'll check out Chip's site first, but he did the whole "remove the kee"l bit.

Cheers from the great white north.

Gareth Gammon
Fort St. James, B.C.
1980 Swingkeel  9782
Calypso 

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Kingsbury's Cyclery 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

  Chip

  I uncovered my boat AND hauled it to the marina, this morning :-)   She's dirty and lonely, I believe mine is the first boat there this year.  Wohooo !!

  Paul Kingsbury
  Elmira, NY

  Ragamuffin
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Chip Ford 
    To: C22 LIST 
    Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM
    Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

    Yesterday I uncovered Wally Riddle's "Carpe Diem" and today will be "Chip Ahoy's" turn -- I think it's reasonably safe to say that winter is for all intent at last over, that New England's Sailing Season 2007 has begun.  Though the wood stove is lit again this morning (it's 36º outside at the moment, but supposed to rise into the 50s later), but at least the uncovering will be done and the work can begin.  There's so much that needs to get completed before I can launch "Chip Ahoy" that the sooner I get started the better.

    Wally's boat is going to need a good outside cleaning before I sell it off its trailer, or a new buyer sails it.  It sat parked out alongside my house under the trees all last season, collecting a lot of dying and dead leaves in the fall.  Wally cleaned them all out before covering his boat in mid-October, did a scrub of the mess as I recall.  But when I uncovered "Carpe Diem" yesterday it's cabintop and cockpit are pretty filthy.  The leaf tannin may have stained the fiberglass -- I'm not sure yet -- but I recall a solution for this, some sort of mild acid:  Oxylic Acid or some such thing.  Does anyone know the details, the product name, offhand?

    One of my first "Chip Ahoy" projects needs to be repairing the damaged bow, the hole put in it when its anchor loosened from the bow pulpit where I had tied it, while on its mooring in a nasty storm.  The first problem will be the fiberglass repair of the hole and gouge.

    The bigger problem is going to be matching that red of "Chip Ahoy's" hull, or coming as close as I can.

    Mike Wilson sent me off-list some photos of his "Tenacity" yesterday morning, a 1977 fin keel also with a red hull that looks to be exactly the same color and shade -- a perfect match.  After subsequent e-mail exchanges, the problem is that neither of us has changed the color on our old C22s -- it came on boats -- so we don't know what it is or how it was applied:  even whether it's gelcoat or paint.

    I'm pretty sure "Chip Ahoy's" red was sprayed on, painted down to its white waterline.  Where the top of the waterline meets the bottom of the red, the red is slightly raised -- where I assume the white waterline was masked-off before the painting.  The raised red looks about right for that process -- but since I know little or nothing about the gelcoat process, I'm not sure how an entire hull would be gelcoated red.  Wouldn't that require being done in the mold?

    Also, I compounded "Chip Ahoy's" hull once with a fine compound and an electric buffer the first year I owned it; polished it once with the buffer the second year.  The third spring, before I got very far, I noted that the "paint" was beginning to appear thin in spots, so shut down the machine and finished up by hand, using Meguiar's 50 "cleaner and wax," which I did again last spring.  I'm pretty convinced it's paint.

    Mike suggested that I contact Spectrum Color -- but "Danielle" responded that they deal primarily with gelcoats.  If I send them a paint chip the size of a quarter, Spectrum could mix me a gallon of gelcoat.  (Fortunately, I saved the plugs from when I drilled out the transom for the scuppers with a hole saw, "just in case I ever need to match the paint"!)  Before I do that though, she suggested I contact Catalina Yachts and see if they have a record of what's on "Chip Ahoy" -- she even provided me with CY's phone number.

    So I called Catalina Yachts next and spoke with "Ken," who was extremely helpful . . . sort of.  He looked up the construction record for my hull number and called back, though puzzled.  CY records show "Chip Ahoy" originally came through as "Tangerine" -- and neither of us bought that after he looked over my website.

    I told him, as a former sign-painter, I'd found that One-Shot lettering enamel, color Fire Red, almost perfectly matched my hull's red -- that I'd used it to touch up scratches and the difference is almost imperceptible without a trained eye.  He noted that CY used a Fire Red on its boats starting in 1980 and could have been using it before then, depending on its record-keeping back then.

    But CY was using an Interlux "Brightside" one-part polyurethane paint, so he sent me to Yachtpaint.com and walked me through it  There I found Interlux's "Fire Red" -- and think I've found my match!

    All this for one small hole and some stupid "minor" damage that might have been avoided (and belatedly should be in the future with my addition of jaw-clamps and "O" rings on the bow pulpit this season to support the anchor)!

    Has anyone used Interlux Brightside polyurethane paint before?  I'm not sure whether I need to prime the fiberglass first before applying it, after I repair the damage.  I no longer have my portable air-compressor or small EGA paint gun (after loaning them to a "close friend" years ago who then disappeared down to St. Thomas), so wonder if I can use one of those Pre-Val disposable paint sprayers for this small job?

    Chip Ford --
    Marblehead, Mass.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:50:42 -0500

Gareth:

I am not willing to part with my pop-top canvas, but I really do enjoy it.

Replacement of the cable was easier than I expected.  When I lowered the
tongue in order to brace and lift the stern, the keel dropped just enough
to gain access to the fork and pin.    THreading the cable up from below
was easy, but you do need to have someone in the cabin cranking it up while
someone below keeps enough tension on the cable to wind it smoothly.  The
turning ball was in good shape, as was the bronze tube, so I now have
spares.

Kent S. Kokko, Ph.D
3M Office of Intellectual Property Counsel
651-733-3597

---

From: "Chip Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:01:58 -0400

Gareth, see:
 
 <http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_7.htm#keel_cable> Keel Cable, Hose, Turning
Ball Replacement
 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Gareth Gammon
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 11:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [OT sort of] - Sailing Season '07, maintenance,
etc

Congrats on an early start Paul! That's exciting and I'm envious!
 
I have been going through my CD handbook planning (dreaming?) of what to add
to Calypso this year. A pop top enclosure is likely, but a bit expensive
(anyone got a used one in GOOD condition they want to sell?) and a bit of
work too because the boat hasn't got the snap fasteners installed. Maybe the
teak handrails because it doesn't have those either. Also a Catalina
ensignia and numbers for the main. It doesn't have those EITHER!
 
But it's not going to happen anytime soon. Our thaw has been delayed by a
belt of high pressure (nice sunny days) but cold temps and wind. It is 5F or
about -13C here as I am writing this. Too darn cold to be out working on the
boat.  
 
I have also been looking for some directions on replacing keel bolts and the
keel cable, rubber keel hose (which has some reinforcing wire sticking out
the top) and perhaps the turning ball if it needs it.  I am not planning on
removing the keel, just doing the maintenance on those parts and am
wondering how far off the trailer the boat has to come just to do that much.
I know this is the place to come for advice!! I'll check out Chip's site
first, but he did the whole "remove the kee"l bit.

Gareth Gammon
Fort St. James, B.C.
1980 Swingkeel  9782
Calypso 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Kingsbury's  <mailto:[email-masked]> Cyclery 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

Chip

Paul Kingsbury
Elmira, NY
 
Ragamuffin

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chip  <mailto:[email-masked]> Ford 
To: C22 LIST <mailto:[email-masked]>  
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM
Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

 
One of my first "Chip Ahoy" projects needs to be repairing the damaged bow,
the  <http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_37.htm> hole put in it when its anchor
loosened from the bow pulpit where I had tied it, while on its mooring in a
nasty storm.  The first problem will be the fiberglass repair of the hole
and gouge.

 
 
<http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_24.htm#waxed> finished up by hand, using
 
Mike suggested that I contact  <http://spectrumcolor.com/> Spectrum Color --

 
But CY was using an Interlux "Brightside" one-part polyurethane paint, so he
sent me to  <http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp> Yachtpaint.com and
walked me through it  There I found Interlux's "Fire Red" -- and think I've
found my match!

 
Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

---

From: "Kingsbury's Cyclery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:20:39 -0400

MessageIt's in a "dry slip" at Tremain in Ithaca, she hasn't been wet yet but right after spring break I'm tossing her in and going for a lil sail. Can't wait !!

Paul Kingsbury
Elmira NY

Ragamuffin
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Brian C. DeYoung 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 7:36 AM
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] New York Sailing Season '07 begins today

  Brian  DeYoung

  Finger Lakes Sailor

  Ithaca NewYork

  "footloose"

  '72 swing keel

  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kingsbury's Cyclery
  Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:36 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

  Chip

  Paul Kingsbury

  Elmira, NY

  Ragamuffin

    ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: Chip Ford 

    To: C22 LIST 

    Chip Ford --
    Marblehead, Mass.

---

From: "Kingsbury's Cyclery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:24:02 -0400

MessageCuz I like to sail !   I've got all season long to tinker and do projects, a boat is a work in progress ;-)

Paul

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Chip Ford 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 7:32 AM
  Subject: RE: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

  I wonder, might there be a reason why your boat is "the first one there" at the marina and "lonely"?

  Chip Ford -

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kingsbury's Cyclery
  Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:36 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

  Chip

  Paul Kingsbury
  Elmira, NY

  Ragamuffin
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Chip Ford 
    To: C22 LIST 
    Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:05 AM
    Subject: [Catalina-22] [TECH] - Sailing Season '07 begins today

    Yesterday I uncovered Wally Riddle's "Carpe Diem" and today will be "Chip Ahoy's" turn -- I think it's reasonably safe to say that winter is for all intent at last over, that New England's Sailing Season 2007 has begun.  Though the wood stove is lit again this morning (it's 36º outside at the moment, but supposed to rise into the 50s later), but at least the uncovering will be done and the work can begin.  There's so much that needs to get completed before I can launch "Chip Ahoy" that the sooner I get started the better.  . . .

---

From: "Ken G. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:31:46 -0600

I've been thinking of getting my local upholstery guy to do a pop-top enclosure. He does quite a bit of work on boats including biminis. Have not checked the price yet but at least it should fit well when done since he would have the boat to fit to, and I could ask for anything special I might want. Like for example, I've seen a boat that had a canvas cover covering the whole top and down over the companionway boards to keep them from leaking water and/or weathering. Perhaps the pop-top enclosure could be made modularly to work with that. Haven't thought too much about that yet.

I got the CD video and they do a decent job of a tutorial on removing the keel and refairing it. Haven't done it yet myself however.

Kinda nippy and snowing a bit here too so do not feel too badly up there, you are not completely alone!

Ken

Ken G. Brown, Leduc, Alberta, Canada
1988 C22 Swing Keel #14764 - CTYH4764F888 - Sail# 103

>Cheers from the great white north.
<>
--