Subject: CIO Insider: Fessing Up to Your Mistakes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:00:00 -0400

CIO Insider - What's happening at CIO.com
August 15, 2007

Six Tips for Fessing Up to Your Mistakes

Everyone makes them, but no one likes confronting them. 
When owning up to an error, the trick is to remain calm. 
Explain what happened and what you learned.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10699/0/

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Project Collaboration: How One Company Got A Diverse Team on the Same Page
2. Confusion Continues on E-Discovery Rules
3. How to Influence People
4. Innovation Is Not a Democracy, and Other Thoughts
5. Another Data Breach, Another Thin Attempt to Make Us Feel Safe
6. CIO Job Search: Networking Leads to Interviews
7. Survey Says: Geeks Are Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Imprivata

A Pathway to PCI Compliance

Companies are scrambling to meet the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security 
Standard (DSS). Financial institutions and merchants alike have to be in 
compliance - or face financial penalties and loss of processing privileges. This 
is new ground for many organizations, introducing a whole new set of technologies 
and methodologies.  This exclusive report discusses best practices when it comes 
to PCI compliance. If PCI compliance is high on your priority list, download this 
report to gain expertise on this new topic.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10700/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Project Collaboration: How One Company Got A Diverse Team on the Same Page

Managing a complex project with multiple moving parts and 
deadlines being worked on by a diverse team can get downright 
nasty. Here's how one company solved the problem.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10701/0/

2. Confusion Continues on E-Discovery Rules

Months after the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure took 
effect, some businesses remain unclear on how to comply.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10702/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by TIBCO

IT Complexity 2.0 

What is the real complexity of an SOA deployment, and how can you minimize it? 
Matt Quinn VP of Product Management and Strategy, TIBCO, defines SOA complexity, 
as well as how to prepare for and tackle its challenges - and discover real 
business benefits. First in a series of three SOA webcasts sponsored by TIBCO.
 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10703/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. How to Influence People

Purdue University CIO Gerry McCartney approaches executive 
collaboration and influence by building alliances with the 
people behind the decision makers.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10704/0/

4. Innovation Is Not a Democracy, and Other Thoughts

How do you create an environment that encourages an "anything 
is possible" flow of ideas and spirit of creativity on the 
one hand while balancing structure and top-down decision-
making on the other?

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10705/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by SunGard

Business Continuity: 2007 Research Brief

IDG Research recently polled CIO and CSO magazine subscribers about business 
continuity. From the frequency of events to confidence in their organization’s 
disaster preparedness, your peers have weighed in with intriguing results. 
Download this research brief to find out how you stack up.  

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10706/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Another Data Breach, Another Thin Attempt to Make Us Feel Safe

When Merrill Lynch told employees last week that a computer 
device containing personal data about them had been stolen 
from its New Jersey office, the brokerage did like many, 
many companies before it. Merrill said, in essence, "But 
don't worry about it."

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10707/0/

6. CIO Job Search: Networking Leads to Interviews

Mark Cummuta has been journaling his experiences in looking 
for a new CIO position. As you'll discover in this day's 
entry, he chronicles how networking opportunities landed a few
interviews. He also shares a resume tip relevant to executive
searches.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10708/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Cisco

Striking the balance between Privacy vs. Customers 

Retailers need to know their customers in order to serve them best.  Yet, 
sharing information Can infringe on their privacy.  And, once trust is gone, 
it’s hard to get back.  That’s why retailers are in the midst of a delicate 
balancing act between ensuring privacy and achieving customer intimacy.  

Watch this Cisco-sponsored webcast today: 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10709/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Survey Says: Geeks Are Cool

A forthcoming book by Mark J. Penn, the CEO of PR heavyweight 
Burson-Marsteller, proposes that -- are you ready? -- geeks 
are not antisocial losers. According to his polling about 
social trends, which he relates in Microtrends: The Small Forces 
Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes, the most enthusiastic technology 
users also love a good party and enjoy talking to other people.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10710/0/

Hot Picks This Week

1. The 2007 CIO 100 Winners: How IT Can Harness the Power of Innovation 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10646/0/

2. Geek Bonding (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Star Trek)
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10647/0/

3. Is India Moving Down the Value Chain?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10648/0/

4. Three Ways to Motivate Your IT Team (That Really Work)
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10649/0/

5. Communicating with a Corporate Superstar: Lessons from Kobe Bryant
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10650/0/

Esther Schindler
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more? Of course you do! Check out our other 
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such as
leadership, enterprise technology, and research.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/6972/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Serena Software

Automate the Development Lifecycle--Build Better Software Faster and 
Cheaper Webinar: Thursday, August 23, 2007; 10:00 AM PDT; 1:00 PM EDT 

Companies seeking differentiation are turning to custom applications to drive 
revenue and save money—but they often don’t get the desired results. In this
webinar, Serena CEO Jeremy Burton teams with industry veteran Kevin Parker to 
describe how application lifecycle management (ALM) can reduce development 
complexity for better software, faster. 
 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/10287/0/
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===============================================================
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

To unsubscribe, change your preferences, or change your e-mail
address, go to the following URL:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/7532/0/

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent directly
to you? Go to:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/7533/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/423/0/

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079962/139199/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked].