Subject: CIO Enterprise: What You Should Know About Consulting and Contracting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:30:00 -0400

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
August 15, 2007

Covering ERP, CRM, KM, SCM and security 
in the pages of CIO magazine and CIO.com

What You Should Know About Consulting and Contracting         

When the workload becomes overwhelming, the project is in trouble, 
or expertise doesn't exist in-house, it's common to bring in a 
consultant or contractor to fix the problem. The hired guns of IT 
explain (in gory detail) the mistakes that enterprise IT managers make, 
and how to get the most out of the consulting budget. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10672/0/

Also in this issue:
1. Signposts on the Road to Data Center Energy Savings
2. How to Influence People   
3. What Will Microsoft's Silverlight Mean for Your Business? 
4. Six Tips for Fessing Up to Your Mistakes
5. How Blogging Can Boost Your Career   
6. Why You Need an Enterprise Architect    
7. Tips for Managing Corporate E-mail Effectively 
8. Your RFID Battle Plan    
	
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by IBM

Building a competitive edge means taking advantage of technology 

As illustrated in this study, 84% of all CIOs surveyed understand how important 
that actually is. But only 16% feel their businesses are fully using technology 
to drive growth and innovation. Find out what 765 global CEOs and 170 CIOs have 
to say about the importance of closing this “business-technology integration gap.”  

To download “The New CIO: Change Partner and Business Leader,” visit:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10673/0/ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Signposts on the Road to Data Center Energy Savings     

The EPA's report to Congress recommends standard guidelines for 
energy efficiency at the nation's electricity-hungry data centers.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10674/0/

2. How to Influence People 
     
Purdue University CIO Gerry McCartney approaches executive collaboration 
and influence by building alliances with the people behind the 
decision makers. In this column, he explain how.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10675/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Egenera

Webcast: Virtualization Drives Verifiable, Flexible Business Continuity 
and Disaster Resiliency Solutions

More than ever, your organization needs to be focused on Business Continuity 
and Disaster Resiliency (BCDR). Many regulatory and industry compliance 
programs mandate that a BCDR plan be in effect and that it be continually 
tested for real world effectiveness. 

View this "Virtualization Drives Verifiable, Flexible Business Continuity 
and Disaster Resiliency Solutions" webcast today: 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10266/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. What Will Microsoft's Silverlight Mean for Your Business?      

Software developers are busy kicking the tires on Silverlight, 
Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash. This summary of not-necessarily-technical 
information will help IT managers identify what's important about 
the new technology—for the people whose first question about a Web 
development project is, "What's the business case?"    
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10676/0/

4. Six Tips for Fessing Up to Your Mistakes    

Everyone makes them, but no one is comfortable confronting them. 
When owning up to an error, the trick is to remain calm and to 
explain what happened, how you're going to rectify the situation 
and what you've learned. If you remain professional, your boss will 
appreciate how well you are handling yourself. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10677/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Sun Microsystems

How to plan for Trading-Partner Integration Using Identity- Enabled 
Business to Business

The paper provides practical information and instruction on using identity-enabled 
B2B to build a trading-partner integration infrastructure, including guidance on 
planning projects and best practices for on-ramping trading partners on a large 
scale. It explains why identity-enabled B2B is the best foundation for building the 
partner integration infrastructure. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10678/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. How Blogging Can Boost Your Career   
   
Writing a blog can enhance your company's credibility and help 
you establish your credentials.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10679/0/

6. Why You Need an Enterprise Architect      

In recent years, EAs have popped up all over the corporate universe 
as companies move to align business goals and the IT infrastructure that 
helps support those goals. The role becomes especially key as companies 
adopt SOA approaches toward application development.  
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10680/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Interactive Intelligence

Internet Protocol Communications on the Brain

Recent research reveals a strong migration to Internet Protocol communications. 
Download this white paper to discover why business and IT leaders are increasingly 
turning to this technology, and also get advice from the trenches on IP strategy.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10681/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Tips for Managing Corporate E-mail Effectively     

Most IT managers don't want to be wizards of e-mail technology. 
They just want to ensure that messages arrive and that inboxes aren't 
clogged with spam. This primer helps nontechnical CIOs and managers 
calibrate expectations, learn the key issues in e-mail management and 
identify the issues in setting corporate e-mail policies. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10682/0/

8. Your RFID Battle Plan    

Electronic tags still don't top CIO strategy lists. But as a tactical 
weapon, RFID can be used to fight old problems in new ways. Here's a 
report from IT executives in the trenches with RFID.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10683/0/ 

Hot Picks

1. The 2007 CIO 100 Winners: How IT Can Harness the Power of Innovation 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10684/0/

2. Geek Bonding (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Star Trek)
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10685/0/

3. Is India Moving Down the Value Chain?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10686/0/

4. Three Ways to Motivate Your IT Team (That Really Work)
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10687/0/

5. Communicating with a Corporate Superstar: Lessons from Kobe Bryant
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10688/0/

Katherine Walsh
Associate Staff Writer
CXO Media

Is this newsletter informative and useful? Check out our
other newsletters for up-to-date information on topics
such as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/2656/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by RoboForm Enterprise (Siber Systems, Inc.)

Enterprise Password Management: A Guide for Best Practices -- Using RoboForm 
Enterprise as an easy, secure, and practical solution to common password management 
challenges.

Password inflation and password fatigue increasingly frustrate end users and 
the support teams that deal with the fallout of strict password polices. This 
white paper reviews best practices for password management, contrasts methods 
of dealing with Enterprise Single Sign-On (ESSO), and describes an alternative 
approach to ESSO (RoboForm Enterprise).

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/10689/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Enterprise because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

For editing newsletter preferences/unsubscribing:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/6886/0/

For subscribing to newsletters:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Rich Hartman at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/2659/0/

The CIO privacy policy:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/1079340/649768/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked]. **