Subject: CIO Enterprise: Maximizing ROI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:05:07 -0400

CIO Enterprise Newsletter
May 30, 2007

Covering ERP, CRM, KM, SCM and security 
in the pages of CIO magazine and CIO.com

Maximize ROI: Six Time-wasters CIOs Need to Avoid

Gartner releases 'hit list' identifying six time-wasting 
practices that CIOs should avoid to maintain a focus on key 
business priorities.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/7694/0/

Also in this issue:
1. ABC: An Introduction to Software as a Service
2. Eight Sound Reasons Not to Use MySQL
3. How to Control Crowds in Ancient Pompeii
4. Assessment: How Secure Are You?
5. Abagnale: Top Tips to Prevent Identity Theft
6. User Input Spurs Innovation
7. Full Cost: It's Time to Pay Attention
8. What, When and How to Respond to a Data Breach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by IBM 

Discover Insights and Information for Today's CIO
Today’s CIOs have the unique opportunity to leverage IT to enable their 
company’s business innovation and success.  Discover the best ways to optimize 
IT, manage risk, build business flexibility and more at IBM’s CIO Interaction 
Channel. Visit: 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8398/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. ABC: An Introduction to Software as a Service

Vendors tout the software-as-a-service (SaaS) delivery model as 
an easy way to deploy applications. But is SaaS all it is cracked 
up to be?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8400/0/

2. Eight Sound Reasons Not to Use MySQL

Database decisions are never easy, even—or maybe especially—when 
one choice is extremely popular. To highlight the advantages and 
disadvantages of the open-source MySQL DBMS, we asked two 
open-source experts to identify the reasons IT managers should—and 
shouldn't—reach for MySQL. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8401/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Microsoft 

Enabling the Infoworker:  How Thought Leaders from Avaya and Microsoft 
Envision Unified Communications 
The growing number of communications options is actually negatively 
impacting interactions.  But unified communications is poised to turn 
that all around.  Join thought leaders from Avaya, Microsoft and IDC 
as we explore its potential impact on your business. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8402/0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. How to Control Crowds in Ancient Pompeii

What computer models are telling us about how to manage a crowd, 
the ancient Romans already seemed to know. This interactive article 
includes a slideshow demonstrating how Pompeii Stadium architecture 
facilitated the flow of 30,000 spectators—and could be emptied in 
just 10 minutes, as well as video clips that can show us how to 
safely engineer spaces for large gatherings and the flow of 
thousands, sometimes millions, of people.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8403/0/

4. Assessment: How Secure Are You?

Security programs can face a number of issues that can be easily 
addressed once they are identified. Roger Johnston, leader of the 
Vulnerability Assessment Team at Los Alamos National Laboratory, 
developed this quiz that identifies the areas that may need 
improvement. "We see the same things over and over," he says. 
"These are the common unifying themes." Find out how you rate with 
this interactive assessment tool. 
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8243/0/

5. Abagnale: Top Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

If you haven't been a victim of identity theft, it is because 
thieves haven't gotten to you yet.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8404/0/

6. User Input Spurs Innovation

Employees are the richest resource CIOs have in the quest for 
innovation, says IBM CIO Brian Truskowski. The challenge is finding 
new ways to tap into the talent, imagination and skills of employees 
to create the innovations that matter to employees, CIOs and their 
company. 

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8405/0/

7. Full Cost: It's Time to Pay Attention

Most IT leaders don't have a clue how important their business 
and cost planning processes are. There may not be much buzz 
around full cost, says Columnist N. Dean Meyer, but there should 
be. Have a look at what's at stake.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8406/0/

8. What, When and How to Respond to a Data Breach

Data breaches happened 268 times during 2006. Now, it's happened 
to your organization. What do you do?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8057/0/ 

Hot Picks

1. Open-Source Software and Its Role in Space Exploration
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8407/0/

2. Quiz: How Secure Are You?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8408/0/

3. How Agile Development Can Lead to Better Results and Technology-Business Alignment
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8409/0/

4. Product Review: A Tool to Tackle Password Overload
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8410/0/

5. How to Recruit Talented Tech Workers to Out-of-the-Way Places
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8411/0/

Shawna McAlearney
Senior Online Editor
CXO Media

Is this newsletter informative and useful? Check out our
other newsletters for up-to-date information on topics
such as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/2656/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPONSOR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This section of CIO Enterprise is sponsored by Agresso 

Business Living in Change: How You Too Can Embrace Change… with the Right 
ERP Solution
ERP solutions should be as agile as the businesses they support. Yet 
ERP users looking to embrace change think it’s simply too painful. Join 
our webcast where featured speaker  John Van Decker, Research Vice President 
with Gartner, Inc., will discuss the ERP market.

http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/8412/0/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

You are receiving this issue of CIO Enterprise because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

For editing newsletter preferences/unsubscribing:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/6886/0/

For subscribing to newsletters:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/6884/0/

CXO newsletters reach more than 400,000 subscribers each week. 
If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter, please contact:
East Coast - Tina Dudarevitch at [email-masked]
Central - Sara Mascall at [email-masked]
West Coast - Erika Karr at [email-masked]

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/2659/0/

The CIO privacy policy:
http://cxolyris.cxomedia.com/t/859658/649768/6887/0/

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2007. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to [email-masked]. **