Subject: [DynDNS System Status] Website Instability

From: DynDNS Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:57:54 -0500 (EST)

October 31, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dyndns.com/news/status/archives/2005/10/780.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over approximately the last 50 minutes, our website has been
experiencing some minor instability issues.  We have determined that
the root cause of this instability is large numbers of invalid updates
from some broken hardware routers.  As such, we have taken steps to
block all updates to our system from anything identifying itself as
"client/1.0".  Because this user-agent does not follow our published
specifications, we cannot determine exactly what devices are affected,
but we believe a number of different Netgear, D-Link, and possibly
other routers identify themselves with this user-agent string.

We are currently performing more in-depth analysis to try to determine how 
many customers will be affected by this block, and what steps we can take 
to apply a more selective block.  For the forseeable future, though, this 
block will remain in place.  If you find that your hardware router 
suddenly is no longer updating your IP address correctly, please contact 
your router's manufacturer for further assistance.  You can also disable 
the update functionality of your router entirely, and use our software 
update clients (see http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/ for more 
information) if you have a computer behind the router to run them on.

We apologize for this inconvenience, and will post more details as they 
become available.  Our website is again functioning fully at this time due 
to the measures we've put into place.  DNS and other services were not 
affected by this event.
_______________________________________________
DynDNS System Status Mailing List
To manage subscription options and for archive information, go to:
https://www.dyndns.com/account/settings/mailinglist.html