Subject: New Support + available

From: "AT&T Internet Services" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:40:14 -0400

SBC Yahoo! DSL is now AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet.

The new AT&T - Your world. Delivered.(SM)
http://www.TheNewATT.com

Dear AT&T Internet Customer,

Need help uploading digital photos? 
Having trouble with your printer? 
Can't figure out how to upgrade your operating system?

AT&T Support+ is now available to help with all your technical 
problems, even if they're not Internet-related. Our qualified 
technicians are available by phone from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST, 
7 days a week with expert and speedy help for a broad scope of 
technical issues - hardware, software, operating system and networking 
support. That means you no longer have to call a variety of 
manufacturers and service providers to troubleshoot and solve the 
problem.

AT&T Support+ offers both one-time assistance and prepaid six- and 
twelve-month memberships. The diagram below provides more detail about 
AT&T support options. To learn more about the service and to see the 
latest rates and support options, call 1-866-294-3464 or visit 
http://www.sbc.com/supportplus.

Sincerely,

AT&T Internet Services

AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Support
Standard Free Support Services

Symptom
- Problems connecting to the Internet
  o Web pages unavailable
  o Computer/modem cannot establish a connection
  o Password/Login problems
- Problems with AT&T Yahoo! email account(s)
- AT&T-supplied modem/router, software, browser, Microsoft Outlook(R) 
  problems
- AT&T Yahoo! Online Protection problems

Contact
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Support
(Free standard support 24x7 for subscribers)
http://help.sbcglobal.net
1-877-722-3755

AT&T Support+
Optional Fee-Based Support Services

Symptom
- Computer will not start or is running abnormally slow
- Receiving error messages, blue screen, hard drive problems
- Can't get rid of a virus or spyware
- Need help setting up a home/office network
- Need help setting up file or print sharing between PCs
- Trouble with non-AT&T provided router/modem/computer hardware/
  devices/software
- Third-party software not provided by AT&T (operating systems, 
  browsers, media players, email clients, firewalls, etc.)

Contact
AT&T Support+
(Fee-based service with credit card billing.Visit our website or call for current pricing.)
http://www.sbc.com/supportplus
1-866-294-3464

This table is a general reference to explain the types of service that 
AT&T Internet Services provides for free, and the services covered for 
a fee through Support+. It is not all-inclusive and does not create 
additional rights or liabilities outside of what is contained in the 
terms of use that are applicable to your specific service. For service 
questions, please call 1-866-294-3464.

SBC | AT&T 

Available for existing AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Service 
customers only. Customer must agree to terms of service and fees read 
to them at time service is ordered. Fee-based support is for issues 
outside of and not directly related to AT&T Yahoo! Internet Service 
products. Support+ technicians can only offer assistance for the 
issues found at www.sbc.com/supportplus. It is the customer's 
responsibility to back up any important data that is stored on the 
computer disk or drive prior to support. Support+ technicians will 
make reasonable efforts to troubleshoot the customer's issue or 
problem. Customers have 5 calendar days to call back for support at no 
additional charge if same issue arises. AT&T Internet Service's total 
liability is no greater than the fee paid for use of the service. 
Prorated amounts will be issued for any remaining months of support 
for subscribers to a prepaid multi-month agreement.

(C) 2006 AT&T Knowledge Ventures. All rights reserved.