Subject: [DynDNS System Status] User-Agent Block: client/1.0

From: DynDNS Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:48:34 -0500 (EST)

[ We apologize if you receive this message via both the announce and 
system-status lists, but we felt it was important to ensure it reached as 
many customers as possible, and a previous message on this subject was 
sent to only system-status. ]

 			October 31, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dyndns.com/+notify/archives/useragent_block_client10.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to significant load on our systems, which caused a system instability this 
morning, it has been determined that we must block all update systems which 
identify themselves as "client/1.0" from accessing our systems for automated 
updates, for the forseeable future. It is unfortunate that we must take such 
drastic action, but the routers that use this user-agent string are used by a 
very small proportion of our customers (less than 10,000 unique usernames in a 
recent sample), but a disproportionately large amount (more than 50%) of the 
updates we see, most of them completely invalid.

To determine if you are affected by this blocking, please visit our User Agent 
Check page. This page will display a warning message if your account has seen 
access from the "client/1.0" username in approximately the past two weeks. If 
that is the case, we strongly recommend disabling your hardware router's update 
functionality, and installing a software client from our clients page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we will continue to 
monitor and re-evaluate this situation.

To access the User Agent Check page, please visit DynDNS NOTIFY (the bottom box 
on the lower-right corner of the DynDNS.com homepage), visit the User-Agent 
Block: client/1.0 article, and click on the appropriate link.  Or, you can 
visit it directly, at:

https://www.dyndns.com/account/settings/agentcheck.html

You will need to log into your account to use this tool.
_______________________________________________
DynDNS System Status Mailing List
To manage subscription options and for archive information, go to:
https://www.dyndns.com/account/settings/mailinglist.html