Subject: [DynDNS System Status] Massive DDoS against Offline URL redirection service

From: DynDNS Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 02:10:19 -0500

Massive DDoS against Offline URL redirection service

Sunday, February 04, 2007 @ 01:12

On February 4th, at approximately 3:30 GMT, a massive distributed denial
of service attack was launched against our Offline URL redirection
service. The attack was large enough to take our Boston location offline.
As of 4:00 GMT, DynDNS administrators filtered the attack, but to do so,
they took Offline URL redirection services out of service. This
immediately stabilized connectivity to our Boston location. Offline URL
redirection is now working in limited capacity; extensive filtering may
cause intermittent failures of offline redirection. DynDNS Administrators
continue to refine the approach to mitigating the attack. Anyone with
information related to this attack is encouraged to contact
[email-masked].

As of 7:00 GMT, service for Offline URL Redirection was restored. The
root cause of the DDoS was a customer domain, which has now been
deactivated. 

### DynDNS System Status Mailing List Information ###
You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to DynDNS'
System Status Mailing List. To unsubscribe, please see our mailing list
management page at
https://www.dyndns.com/account/settings/mailinglist.html. If you have
questions regarding this Mailing List, please contact our Support
Department, [email-masked].

You can view recent (60 days) System Status postings at
http://www.dyndns.com/news/status/.

Dynamic Network Services, Inc.
1230 Elm St. 
5th Floor Manchester NH 03101
http://www.dyndns.com/