Subject: Access Suspended

From: Halifax Bank Plc. <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:44:35 +0200

Dear Customer,

Our Technical Service Department has recently updated our online banking

services, and due to this upgrade we sincerely call your attention to follow the

below link and reconfirm your online account details. Failure to

confirm the online banking details may leads to temporarily suspension from accessing

your account online.

https://www.Halifax-online.co.uk/_mem_bin/formslogin.asp

We use the latest security measures to ensure that your online banking maintaining by
our financial institution is well safe and secured according to our banking system

Thank you for banking with us.

Halifax Online Technical Support

Please do not reply to this email address as it is not monitored and we

will be unable to respond.For assistance, log in to your Halifax Online Bank account and choose

the "Help" link on any page.

Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076. Registered Office:

Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG. Authorised and regulated

by the Financial Services Authority. Represents only the Halifax

selling life assurance