Subject: Darwin Day 2006 -- for the Celebration of Science and Humanity!

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:52:26 +0000

Dear Dr. SR Officer,

As we move closer to Darwin's bicentennial birthday on February 12, 
2009, more and more colleges, universities, libraries, museums and 
private groups are joining the annual International Darwin Day 
Celebration of Science and Humanity!  If you have not previously 
participated we hope that 2006 will be the year you join in the fun and 
informal education.  The increasing response to this idea appears to be 
at least partially due to the attempts of fundamentalists to discredit 
the scientific theory of evolution with superstition and pseudo-science 
under the guise of "intelligent design."  It's time for science 
educators to respond creatively -- and now is the time to begin planning 
for 2006!  By giving a little of your time to develop a Celebration 
appropriate for your institution, collectively we can make great strides 
in educating the general public.  Please take a little time to visit our 
website www.darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> where we maintain 
extensive information that will help you plan your EVENT.  In addition, 
the websites listed below are examples of university postings of 
Celebrations held in 2005 -- many others from the past 4 years appear on 
our website.

< http://essig.berkeley.edu/pages/darwin.htm >
< http://facstaff.uww.edu/mckinnoj/uwwdarwinday2005.html >
< http://www.salemstate.edu/%7Epkelly/darwin/ >
< http://eeb.bio.utk.edu/darwin/ > and
< http://ltc.cr.duq.edu/bsnes/darwinday/ >

The staff here at www.darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> has been 
very busy this past year and we are pleased to report that the DarwinDay 
organization has greatly improved its website and our ability to 
communicate with large numbers of people.  This ability will allow us to 
encourage the development of many more Darwin Day Celebrations 
worldwide.  Please take time to read the new information we have 
recently posted, and that will be frequently updated on the DarwinDay 
home-page under 'Don't Miss These Current Articles.' There are also 
improvements to be found in most sections of the website. For instance 
under "News & Views" we have recently added statements and essays that 
support evolution and the need to celebrate Darwin, Science and Humanity 
-- so do take a little time to browse!

Another goal that we hope to achieve during the remainder of this year 
and throughout 2006 is to translate our website into a number of 
additional languages so that the international nature of the festivities 
will be even more of a reality.  I'm pleased to report that this process 
has begun and our first postings will come later this month.

 Finally we have introduced a section on the Home page about /Two 
Emancipators,/ born on the same day in the same year; Abraham Lincoln, 
emancipator of the American slaves, and Charles Darwin, emancipator of 
the human mind.  This concept is further developed in essays on the 
website at www.darwinday.org/englishL/newsviews/darlin.html 
<http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/newsviews/darlin.html>  

Sincerely yours,

Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph.D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c) 3 
corporation.
DarwinDay.org

P.S.  If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply reply to this e-mail 
at [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, using 
the account you want unsubscribed.  If using that account is not 
possible, send the information from another account, _with a message 
giving your old e-mail address,_ and the e-mail where we can verify that 
you actually want our messages stopped.

You can also unsubscribe by sending regular mail, with your e-mail 
clearly identified, to "Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 
Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City, CA  94063, USA".