Subject: Darwin Day 2006: a chance for science education

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:41:33 +0000

Dear Professional Librarian,

As we approach Darwin's bicentennial birthday on February 12, 2009, more 
and more universities, libraries, museums, public and private groups are 
joining the annual international Darwin Day Celebration of Science and 
Humanity!  If you have not previously participated we hope that 2006 
will be the year you join in the fun and informal education.  Currently 
events and activities are being registered on our website darwinday.org 
<http://www.darwinday.org/> for Darwin's 197th Birthday on February 12, 
2006.  We invite you to join this festive informal educational activity 
by planning an interesting display featuring Darwin's life and 
scientific accomplishments or you may also wish to consider sponsoring 
an informal community educational event such as book review or lecture 
on Darwin, Science and Humanity, if you have appropriate facilities.

We also invite you to visit our website darwinday.org 
<http://www.darwinday.org/> both for information about other Darwin Day 
Festivities and also to register and advertise your own special display 
or other events there.  Our objective is to increase the number of 
events each year until we achieve a Global Celebration by 2009, with 
Darwin Day Celebrations taking place around the world.  Our website 
describes several ways to participate and also contains extensive 
information to assist you in developing ideas suitable for your own 
unique circumstances.   

 Darwin Day's supporters and advisors include prominent scientists, 
educators, philosophers, and writers such as: Patrick Bateson (Provost, 
Kings College, Cambridge University), Edward O. Wilson (Harvard 
University), Richard Dawkins (Oxford University), Daniel C. Dennett 
(Tufts University), Steven Pinker (Harvard University), Helena Cronin 
(London School of Economics), Eugenie Scott (National Center for Science 
Education), Steve Jones (University College, London), and many others. 
 We encourage you to join them and become an enthusiastic participant in 
this project.

Sincerely yours,

Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c)3 
corp.
DarwinDay.org <http://darwinday.org/>

P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply reply to this e-mail 
at [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> , using 
the account you want unsubscribed.  If using that account is not 
possible, send the information from another account, with a message 
giving your old e-mail address, and the e-mail where we can verify that 
you actually want our messages stopped.  You can also unsubscribe by 
sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly identified, to "Darwin 
Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City 
CA  94063, USA".