Subject: Darwin Day 2006 -- for the Celebration of Science and Humanity!

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:18:51 +0000

Dear SRO ACCOUNT,

As we move closer to Darwin's bicentennial birthday on February 12, 2009 
more and more college and university science clubs are joining the 
annual International Darwin Day Celebration of Science and Humanity! If 
you have not previously participated we hope that 2006 will be the year 
you join in the fun and informal education.

Science clubs have begun to establish yearly traditions by joining with 
the department of science with which they are affiliated, to put on 
annual Darwin Day EVENTS. Here are a few examples:

   1.

      http://facstaff.uww.edu/mckinnoj/uwwdarwinday2005.html and note
      that when you go to the bottom of their announcement page and
      click on Biological Sciences, that the whole faculty is featured
      -- while the NavBar at the top of the page contains "Darwin Day"
      among other links.

   2.

      Another college that has a long tradition of Celebrating Darwin is
      Salem State College http://www.salemstate.edu/%7Epkelly/darwin .
      Clearly their events have had significant support.

   3.

      Darwin Day at UC Berkeley has become an even more elaborate event
      and last year involved the famous Essig Museum of Entomology:
      http://essig.berkeley.edu/pages/darwin.htm .

   4.

      Finally the Univ. of Tennessee has a well established Darwin Day:
      http://eeb.bio.utk.edu/darwin .

Many additional examples can be found on our Website http://darwinday.org!

The increasing response to the idea of celebrating Darwin, Science, and 
Humanity appears to be at least partially due to attempts to discredit 
the scientific theory of evolution with superstition and pseudo-science. 
It's time for science to respond creatively -- and now is the time to 
begin planning for the Darwin Day Celebration for 2006! Please take a 
little time to visit our Website darwinday.org where we maintain 
extensive information that will help you plan your EVENT.

The staff here at darwinday.org has been very busy this past year and we 
are pleased to report that the DarwinDay organization has greatly 
improved its Website and our ability to communicate with large numbers 
of people. This ability will allow us to encourage the development of 
many more Darwin Day Celebrations worldwide. Please take time to read 
the new information we have recently posted, and that will be frequently 
updated on the DarwinDay home page under 'Don't Miss These Current 
Articles.'There are also improvements to be found in most sections of 
the Website. For instance under "News & Views" we have recently added 
statements and essays that support evolution and the need to celebrate 
Darwin, Science and Humanity -- so do take a little time to browse!

Another goal that we hope to achieve during the remainder of this year 
and throughout 2006 is to translate our Website into a number of 
additional languages so that the international nature of the festivities 
will be even more of a reality. I'm pleased to report that this process 
has begun and our first postings will come later this year.

Finally we have introduced a section on the Home page about 'Two 
Emancipators', born on the same day in the same year: Abraham Lincoln, 
emancipator of the American slaves, and Charles Darwin, emancipator of 
the human mind. This item is further developed in an essay available 
from our home page at http://darwinday.org .

Sincerely yours,

Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c)3 
corp.
http://darwinday.org

P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply reply to this e-mail 
at [email-masked] , using the account you want 
unsubscribed. If using that account is not possible, send the 
information from another account, with a message giving your old e-mail 
address, and the e-mail where we can verify that you actually want our 
messages stopped. You can also unsubscribe by sending regular mail, with 
your e-mail clearly identified, to "Darwin Day Celebration 
(Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City CA 94063, USA".