Subject: Darwin Day: an Antidote for Intelligent Design!

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 04:18:40 +0000

Darwin Day Celebration

AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND HUMANITY

2682 Middlefield Rd., Suite P, Redwood City, CA  94063-3467  l  
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  l  650-701-1948

Darwin Day logo

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE    1/16/2006 at 6:00 a.m. PST

Contacts:

Darwin Day Celebration (DDC) Web site: darwinday.org 
<http://www.darwinday.org/>

Bob Stephens, Ph.D.:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  
(President, Darwin Day Celebration, a tax-deductible 501?c?3 
organization) Telephone  # 650-701-1948.

William Calvin, Ph.D.: [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>    (DDC Advisory Board)

Daniel C. Dennett, Ph.D.: [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>    (DDC Advisory Board)

Steve Jones Ph.D.: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>    
(DDC Advisory Board)

Carl Zimmer, Ph.D.: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>    
(DDC Advisory Board)

*Darwin** Day: an Antidote for Intelligent Design!*

Darwin Day 2006 is rapidly approaching and many *Celebrations of Science 
and Humanity *will take place around the world on, or near Darwin's 
birthday, February 12.  *Several impressive* *Early Registrations are 
currently posted on the Darwin Day homepage* DarwinDay.org 
<http://www.darwinday.org/> and many more can be found following the 
navigation bar link for *EVENTS*.  Collectively these activities, and 
the Darwin Day website DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> 
represent a significant avenue for the general public to learn about the 
importance of evolution and its central role in the study of all 
biological sciences.  To study biology while neglecting evolution would 
be like studying physics without Newton's laws that govern the universe, 
or studying chemistry without the periodic table.

As we move closer to Darwin's bicentennial birthday in 2009, more and 
more colleges, universities, libraries, museums, churches and private 
groups are joining the annual International Darwin Day Celebration of 
Science and Humanity!  The increasing response to this idea appears to 
be, at least partially, due to the attempts of Fundamentalists to 
discredit the scientific theory of evolution with superstition and 
pseudo-science under the guise of "Intelligent Design".  It's time for 
public institutions to respond creatively -- and Darwin Day offers an 
appropriate way to present evolution within the spirit of community.  
Samples of some of the major events to be held this year are shown below.

*/Darwin Day Festival, 2006/* <http://www.darwinshrewsbury.org/> 
Shrewsbury England, birth place of Charles Darwin has a 'Darwin 
Festival' each year lasting the entire month of February!  This 
beautiful English town has the "know how" to honor their most famous 
son.  Visit their website!

*/Salem State College Darwin Festival, 2006/* 
<http://w3.salemstate.edu/%7Epkelly/darwin/>

This impressive Darwin Day Celebration has been in existence for over 25 
years.  This year the week-long event starts on Feb 13th with an 
impressive schedule of activities.

*/Darwin Day in New York, 2005-06/* 
<http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/darwin/?src=h_h>

New York City's American Museum of Natural History opened a new, 
traveling exhibition about Darwin, 19 November 2005 through 29 May 
2006.  Then the exhibit will be exhibited in Boston, 2006, in Chicago, 
2007, in Toronto, 2007, and in London for Darwin's bicentennial birthday 
in 2008-09.

*/Duquesne University Darwin Day, Feb. 10, 2006/* 
<http://ltc.cr.duq.edu/bsnes/darwinday/>

This year the Celebration will feature a lecture by Dr. Derrick Briggs 
from Yale University and the topic will be, "The Cambrian Explosion" -- 
Primary and secondary teachers can earn credit for attending this 
presentation!

*/Darwin Day Celebration -- Wikinerds Portal /* 
<http://portal.wikinerds.org/darwin-day-2005> 

For a brief history of Darwin Day, go to Wikinerds Portal.

*/Historical Science Museum of Milan -- Project 'Darwin 2'/* 
<http://darwinday.org/NEWlang/newsviews/news.html>

Project 'Darwin 2' commemorates Darwin's famous voyage around the world 
on the Beagle from 1831 to 1836.  In Feb. 2006 the expedition will be in 
Argentina where there will be a series of exhibitions and events.

*/Darwin Day/**/s at Eastern Illinois University/* 
<http://www.eiu.edu/%7Ebiology/> Eastern Illinois University will 
celebrate Darwin Day on Feb. 9th, 10th, 13th, 14th, and 15th, with 
lectures on very interesting subjects each day.  The film "Inherit the 
Wind" will be shown on Friday the 10th.

/*Darwin Day at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville*/ 
<http://eeb.bio.utk.edu/darwin/>

The University of Tennessee has had a Darwin Day Celebration each year 
since 1997 and this year it will feature lectures and discussions on the 
9th and 19th of February.

*Happy Darwin Day 2006!*

* *

###    -30-    END