Subject: [Fwd: DarwinDay detailed images]

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 21:40:20 +0000

Hi Arun!

Separately, I will send you the current draft of the instructions to 
translators, so you know how these files will be used.

I'm glad to be replying to your kind offer of assistance with the 
graphic aspects of the DarwinDay.org Web site.

I believe that attached are the most flexible and early in the chain of 
image creation (.psd for Photoshop, .jpg, and .gif) files that I could 
find for the home page where words (currently English) are part of the 
image. 

The part that I don't know, though I expect it will be simple, is how to 
make the translated words appear at the correct location on an image.  I 
hope you can show us that method.

On the home page for NEWlang (the newest version), the center top image 
with DNA is called header.gif and it occurs in the main.dwt root 
Template.  That causes it to be at the top of EVERY page in EVERY language.

The "Darwin  Day Celebration AN INTERNATIONAL..." is called 
titletrans.gif and it occurs in the mainNEWlang.dwt file, and needs its 
text to be translated into every language.  I think the header.gif file 
needs to move from main.dwt to mainNEWlang.dwt so it can vary with each 
language.  I need to review the discussions of Dreamweaver Templates, to 
be sure I really have these images at the right level of templates.

navbar.gif is the IMAGE of the navigation bar in a particular language.  
The Map portion of the HTML tells what parts of that image are to be 
click-sensitive to go to a particular page.  Currently the navbar.gif  
has the English names of regions in the Map definition, but it should 
probably be made blank and various language words should be placed on 
something by the translators.

darwinages.gif should just have the age notations removed and some way 
of overlaying them in translated form be devised.

The repetitions of the navigation bar occurs by references to the 
topmost instance.

I think I should send you the raw HTML home page (index.html) from 
NEWlang.  That page is now included in the attachments. Also the 
main.dwt and mainNEWlang.dwt files, and the main.css and mainNEWlang.css 
files.  For historic reasons we have the Templates and stylesheets for 
all languages grouped in two folders.  I suspect that each language's 
testing tree can have its unique template and its stylesheet grouped 
with the other files for that language.  Any advice you may have would 
be appreciated.

The pictures of Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin about halfway down 
the home page are already separate from the text, so I haven't included 
those.

The oval picture of the HMS Beagle  might be left as it is, but if you 
can extend the ocean surface and make the "H.M.S. Beagle" title be 
translatable, that would probably be better.

Finally, the "horse evolution" image (which is probably not correct, but 
looks nice, being little horses but  probably the correct foot bones) 
needs to have the words removed.  There is also an error of grammar on 
this .psd file.  The abbreviation "It's" means "it is".  The correct 
posessive pronoun is "its", even though it sort of violates the rule 
about using apostrophe.

Thank you for whatever help you can give with these graphic/Web design 
issues.  The Darwin Day project worldwide will benefit from your 
contribution of your skills.

Sincerely,

   - David Harris

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	DarwinDay detailed images
Date: 	Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:43:00 +0000
From: 	Web Designer <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

CHARLES ROBERT DARWIN
February 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882

The Evolution of a Global Celebration
Of Science and Humanity

Darwin's 200th Birthday will occur on February 12, 2009; it will also be the 150th Anniversary of the publication of his famous book On The Origin of Species. So, together we have time to evolve a truly International Celebration to show our appreciation for the enormous benefits that scientific knowledge, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has contributed to the advancement of humanity.

Here are ways you can participate:

1.

Provide your e-mail address so we can send you future announcements and not have them considered "spam"! Or,

2.

Add your name and email to our list of Supporters.

3.

Plan a Darwin Day Celebration and register it for 2007.

4.

Plan to participate each year through Darwin's bicentennial birthday in 2009!

5.

Please consider making a financial donation (by PayPal or other ways) to support Darwin Day .

Events
Held in

Events
Held in

Events
Held in

Events Listed
for

Plan Your
Events for

Bicentennial
Events in

Plan Your
Events for

Plan Your
Events for

2004

2005

2006

2007

2008

2009

2010

2011

February 12th, 1809
On this date, two great men were born —
Abraham Lincoln, Emancipator of American Slaves
and
Charles Darwin, Emancipator of the Human Mind
Their Positive Legacies Still Endure
Let's have some Lincoln-Darwin Celebrations
Click here for more information
\

Charles Darwin as a Symbol for the
Celebration of Science and Humanity

Celebrations are an important part of every culture. They provide a tradition and a common bond to be shared among those who make up their culture, permitting them to experience a meaningful connection to one another and to the principles to which they subscribe. Unfortunately, most celebrations are based on ancient traditions that are relevant to only a specific country or culture, and they have often been, and continue to be, the source of serious conflicts.

At this juncture in history, the world has become so small and interdependent that we need a Global Celebration to promote a common bond among all people. The Darwin Day Celebration was founded on the premise that science, like music, is an international language that speaks to all people in very similar ways. While music is both intellectual and entertaining, science is our most reliable knowledge system, and it has been and continues to be acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity. Moreover, evolution via genetic variation and natural selection, introduced by Darwin, has become the central organizing principle in biology. In addition, evolution also plays a central role in astronomy and cosmology, where it refers to the way that stars, galaxies and the entire universe 'change over time.' To study biology while neglecting evolution would be like studying physics without Newton's laws that govern the universe or chemistry without the periodic table. Clearly, Darwin himself has become an internationally acclaimed figure, whose influence on progressive modern thought continues to be both profound and pervasive (Ernst Mayr, Darwin's Influence on Modern Thought, Scientific American, July 2000).

Current research in the field of genetics, including that on the human genome, has conclusively shown that all humans are essentially identical and that we are genetically related to all other living things on this planet. Thus an enlightened view of genetics is one of unity and equality among all humans and also one that fosters a deeper sense of respect and appreciation for all life. Today the validity of Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection rests in our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of genetics. Therefore, we conclude that Charles Darwin is a worthy symbol on which to focus, in order to build a Global Celebration of Science and Humanity that is intended to promote a common bond between all people of the earth.

For statements and essays supporting the celebration of Darwin, Science, and Humanity, take a look at our Essays Section .

The following prominent scientists, educators, philosophers, and writers serve on the Darwin Day Advisory Board and many more support our efforts to celebrate science and humanity:

Patrick Bateson

Steven Pinker

Provost, Cambridge Univ.

Harvard University

William H. Calvin

Eugenie C. Scott

Univ. of Washington

National Ctr. for Science Ed.

Helena Cronin

Michael Shermer

London School of Econ.

Cal. Inst.of Technology

Richard Dawkins

Frank Sulloway

Oxford University

Univ. of California, Berkeley

Daniel C. Dennett

Colin Tudge

Tufts University

London School of Econ.

William Durham

Edward O. Wilson

Stanford University

Harvard University

Steve Jones

Carl Zimmer

University College London

Science Writer

Robin McKie

London Observer

Content goes here.

Content goes here.