Subject: Darwin Day language translation

From: "Dr. R. Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:45:38 +0000

Darwin Day Celebration

      AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND HUMANITY

   5 October 2006

Hello Babu,

It was a pleasure meeting you in person a couple of years ago at
Larry Jones's home on Martha's Vineyard. Roy Brown was with you at
the time but I see he has moved on.  You were both effective
representatives for IHEU and I enjoyed our brief conversations!

At that meeting I was able to introduce the group to our website
(www.DarwinDay.org) and project, known as Darwin Day Celebration
(DDC), an International Recognition of Science and Humanity, held
each year on, or near, February 12, Darwin's Birthday. Darwin's
Bicentennial birthday is in 2009 and we are attempting to reach out
to the world to insure a GLOBAL CELEBRATION at that time. DDC greatly
appreciates the assistance and support that IHEU has given us in the
past and we look forward to finding ways in which we can continue to
cooperate in the future.

In my view Darwin's theory of evolution provided the undisputed
scientific foundation that permits the development of Humanism and
other Freethought movements because evolution offered, for the first
time, a plausible and rational mechanism to explain our origins from the
natural world. In any case I'm pleased to be able to report that
Darwin Day has begun to take on a life of its own with over 650
Events in February, 2006, and coverage in over 150 major newspapers.

My request has to do with the fact that our staff here is eager to
reach out more effectively to the Global Community and to do this we
would like to have our website translated into as many of the world's
languages as possible. To facilitate this, our software developer
has produced templates based on the "Dreamweaver" technology that
makes it rather easy for volunteers to translate our website into
their language, so that the Darwin Day message becomes available to all
those that speak their language. In addition we provide them with a
blank page that they can use as they wish. For instance they can use it
to honor scientists in their country, or post an article relevant to
their culture, etc.

My question is the following: since IHEU has close ties to many
countries that are non-English speaking I wonder if you can identify
individuals or small groups that we can contact to see if they can
help us, or at least could assist us in finding volunteers that would
be willing, to translate our English language website into their
language?  They would need to have enough background in science to
make an accurate translation but beyond that we will provide them
with technical assistance so they will be successful.

Thank you for considering this request.

Sincerely,

Bob Stephens, President, DDC.
2682 Middlefield Rd., Suite P, Redwood City, CA  94063-3467
650-701-1948