Subject: Darwin in Hungarian ... in 8 states of Europe

From: "Attila SZABÓ T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:25:06 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I was happy to read recently about your initiative (Darwin Day Celebrations)
and I send you this E-mail with reference on *your URL: *
http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/aboutddc/contact.html . I am also glad to
be a member of the Linnean Society (London), where "The Origin of Species"
was first presented for the public.

In order to promote the original Darwinian texts among the Transylvania's
Hungarians as a young research scientist from Cluj/Kolozsvár (Romania) I
edited in Hungarian a book published in 1971 by Kriterion Publishing House
Bucharest (RO) with the title "*A darwini gondolat*" (The Darwinian Idea)
with a selection of original texts translated in Hungarian. This was later
folowed by a series of books on the evolution of evolutionary concepts
beginning with gradualism up to the sythetic evolutionary theory.

In 1987 I moved from Cluj (Romania) to Szombathely (Hungary) and in 1998
some parts of the Darwin-book was made available online for my students as
a basic text for those learning "Evolution" and/or "History of Biology".
This text is available in cyberspace on URL
http://genetics.bdtf.hu/Htmls/Gramma/grdarw01.html and is used now also
regularly by my students in Doctor Schools of the Pannon University
(Veszprém-Keszthely) and West-Hungarian University (Sopron-Mosonmagyaróvár)
etc.

I also intend to co-operate with further Universities from Hungary and/or
teaching in Hungarian in further 7 neighbouring states (Romania, Slovakia,
Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Croatia, Austria) a large population of Hungarian
students in order to create a site with relevant information on and from Ch.
Darwin -- in Hungarian and possibly also on the majority language of the
mentioned states.

Please let me inform, if:
1. Are you interested in such a co-operation ? If "Yes", which are your
priorities?
2. Do you have any information about projects which could support this
complex initiative covering a large Eastern-Central-European area where
Darwin was translated very early?

Note:
I am glad to be a member of the Linnean Society (London), where "The Origin
of Species" was first presented for the public.

Sincerely,

*SZABÓ** T. Attila*

*Dr.biol., Prof.habil.r., DSc, FLS*

Biological Database Laboratory

BioTár Electronic

Balatonfüred, Bartók B.u.13/II.6

8230 - Hungary

*E: [email-masked] *

*M: 0036-20-3339660*

---

From: "Attila SZABÓ T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:56:43 +0100

Dear David,

Thanks for writing. If I am right, the translation work will begin around
15th Febr. 2007, following some preliminary E-discutions.  Do you have
a timetable for this work (deadlines), and generally for the DDCelebrations
this year?

Just for avoiding misunderstanding: the Hungarian is not a Slavic, not even
an Indo-European language; belongs to the Fenno-Ougric family of Ural-Altaic
languages together with Finns and Estonians ... and many vanishing small
languages. But we have large groups separated after 1919 in the countries
mentioned in my letter. Among these groups of about 45.000  (Slovenia) up to
1.500.000 (Romania) we perhaps could find further persons possibly ready for
co-operation, if we can offer something for they work (minority life is
usually rather hard here).

Yours,

szta

2007/1/30, Translation coordinator <[email-masked]>:
>
> Dear Attila,
>
> YES, we at DarwinDay.org are delighted to receive your generous offer.
> Your knowledge as a scientist and membership in the Linnean Society suggest
> that you have a deep understanding of Darwin's contributions to biology,
> science, and humanity.  You sound like an excellent person to translate the
> DarwinDay.org web site into Hungarian and to coordinate other activities
> educating about evolution!  We do not currently have people who can promote
> Darwin Day in the central European Slavic language countries you mentioned.
> We would be very glad if you would translate our Web site into Hungarian,
> using methods that we have developed during 2006.  Is that translation into
> Hungarian something you would be willing to do?
>
> At this time we are scrambling to prepare everything for Darwin Day 2007,
> but we expect that I can work with you after the middle of February, when we
> become less busy.  I hope you can participate in this year's Darwin Day
> celebrations.
>
> Again, thank you for your generous offer.  We will reply with details in a
> few weeks.
>
>   - David  Harris, coordinator of translations
>
>
> Attila SZABÓ T. wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I was happy to read recently about your initiative (Darwin Day
> Celebrations) and I send you this E-mail with reference on *your URL: *http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/aboutddc/contact.html
>  . I am also glad to be a member of the Linnean Society (London), where
> "The Origin of Species" was first presented for the public.
>
> Bucharest (RO) with the title " *A darwini gondolat*" (The Darwinian Idea)
> I am glad to be a member of the Linnean Society (London), where "The
> Origin of Species" was first presented for the public.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> *SZABÓ** T. Attila*
>

-- 
SZABÓ T. Attila
Dr.biol., DSc, FLS
Prof. habil. r.,
BioTár Electronic
Balatonfüred, Hungary
0036-20-3339660

---

From: Translation coordinator <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:24:03 +0000

Dear Attila,

YES, we at DarwinDay.org are delighted to receive your generous offer.  
Your knowledge as a scientist and membership in the Linnean Society 
suggest that you have a deep understanding of Darwin's contributions to 
biology, science, and humanity.  You sound like an excellent person to 
translate the DarwinDay.org web site into Hungarian and to coordinate 
other activities educating about evolution!  We do not currently have 
people who can promote Darwin Day in the central European Slavic 
language countries you mentioned. We would be very glad if you would 
translate our Web site into Hungarian,  using methods that we have 
developed during 2006.  Is that translation into Hungarian something you 
would be willing to do?

At this time we are scrambling to prepare everything for Darwin Day 
2007, but we expect that I can work with you after the middle of 
February, when we become less busy.  I hope you can participate in this 
year's Darwin Day celebrations.

Again, thank you for your generous offer.  We will reply with details in 
a few weeks.

Attila SZABÓ T. wrote:
> Celebrations) and I send you this E-mail with reference on _your URL: 
> _http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/aboutddc/contact.html 
> <http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/aboutddc/contact.html> . I am also 
> glad to be a member of the Linnean Society (London), where "The Origin 
> In order to promote the original Darwinian texts among the 
> Transylvania's Hungarians as a young research scientist from 
> Cluj/Kolozsvár (Romania) I edited in Hungarian a book published in 
> 1971 by Kriterion Publishing House Bucharest (RO) with the title " /A 
> darwini gondolat/" (The Darwinian Idea) with a selection of original 
> texts translated in Hungarian. This was later folowed by a series of 
> books on the evolution of evolutionary concepts beginning with 
> gradualism up to the sythetic evolutionary theory.   
>  
> In 1987 I moved from Cluj (Romania) to Szombathely (Hungary) and in 
> 1998 some parts of the Darwin-book was made available online for my 
> students as a basic text for those learning "Evolution" and/or 
> "History of Biology". This text is available in cyberspace on URL 
> http://genetics.bdtf.hu/Htmls/Gramma/grdarw01.html and is used now 
> also regularly by my students in Doctor Schools of the Pannon 
> University (Veszprém-Keszthely) and West-Hungarian University 
> (Sopron-Mosonmagyaróvár) etc.
>  
> I also intend to co-operate with further Universities from Hungary 
> and/or teaching in Hungarian in further 7 neighbouring states 
> (Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Croatia, Austria) a 
> large population of Hungarian students in order to create a site with 
> relevant information on and from Ch. Darwin -- in Hungarian and 
> possibly also on the majority language of the mentioned states.
>  
> 1. Are you interested in such a co-operation ? If "Yes", which are 
> your priorities?
> complex initiative covering a large Eastern-Central-European area 
> where Darwin was translated very early?
>  
> Note:
> * SZABÓ** T. Attila*
> / Dr.biol., Prof.habil.r., DSc, FLS/
>
> / E: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> /
>
> / M: 0036-20-3339660/
>
>
>
>