Subject: Re: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

From: "Jack Sechrest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:46:57 -0600

Bob,  I will get back to you.  We plan an event on the 2nd Wed of Feb.  We
will have a potluck and then our regular meeting at the Humanists of West
Suburban Chicagoland, a Membership Chapter of the AHA.  We are just waiting
for the arrangements for our speaker to be completed.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Jack Sechrest
Chm HWSC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. R. Stephens" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 7:05 PM
Subject: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

> Dear Jack Sechrest,
>
> We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2003, that
celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin.  Your event was
described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:
http://www.darwinday.org/home/2003.html .  If you don't recall the listing,
you can search for your name there using your computer's Find or Search
feature.
>
> This email is meant to be both a reminder and an invitation.
>
> First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us
to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is
to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as
we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009. We sincerely
hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and will
register your event on our website as you have done in the past. You may use
this URL to go right to the registration:
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
>
> Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL
as before: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have
been busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science
education efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and
informative resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas that
will help you plan your own Darwin Day Celebration.
>
> Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration even
t, you will register and advertise your event at
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold
the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can
contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create
a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph. D.
> Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,
> SRI International, formerly Stanford Research Institute.
> Chairman of the Board, Darwin Day Celebration, a Nonprofit Corp.
> http://darwinday.org
>
> PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].
>
>
>
>
> _____________________________________________________
> This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm
>
>

---

From: David Duffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:51:39 -1000

an excellent idea, but who cares about MIT and Tufts and LSE? Have you 
gotten in touch with Ernst Mayr (100 years old and crusty enough to stay 
around just for Darwin's 200th?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. R. Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, December 13, 2004 5:25 pm
Subject: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

> Dear Dr. D. C. Duffy,
>  
> As a fellow scientist, you may already realize that Darwin's 200th 
> birthday will occur on February 12th, 2009.  Our 'Darwin Day' 
> project is a nonprofit organization designed to promote an 
> International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year on, or 
> near, Feb. 12th as we move towards 2009.  Darwin and the theory of 
> evolution are being used as symbols of scientific progress, and 
> our goal is to achieve a Global Celebration by 2009.  Currently, 
> events are being registered on our Website for 2005.
>  
> The purpose of this letter is to invite you to visit our website at 
> http://darwinday.org  --   and then to consider joining many others 
> in this constructive educational effort.  Our website 
> offers extensive information to assist you in developing ideas for 
> a 'celebration' that is suitable for your own unique 
> circumstances.   
>  
> Supporters include prominent scientists, educators, philosophers, 
> and writers such as: Patrick Bateson, Provost, Kings College, 
> Cambridge; Edward O. Wilson, Harvard University; Richard Dawkins, 
> Oxford University; Daniel C. Dennett, Tufts University; Steven 
> Pinker, MIT; Helena Cronin, London School of Economics; 
> Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education; Steve 
> Jones, Univ. College London; and many others. We encourage you to 
> join them and become an enthusiastic participant in this project.  
> To sign up quickly, register at 
> http://darwinday.org/register/index.php .
> 
> If you'd like to see some more whimsical activities related to 
> Charles Darwin, try clicking on "What's New" on our navigation bar.
>  
> Sincerely Yours,
>

---

From: "Douglas E. Eveleigh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:39:01 -0500

Dear Dr. Stephens,

An anecdote.

I grew up in south London, and from time to time on a Boy Scout hike we
would finish at Downe House. At that time, it was simply an old house, and
we would use the toilets, and perhaps clean up a little from our muddy
trails. What a delight today that the nation realized the importance of this
historic site. They still have nice toilets.

I will try and think of something in relation to the Darwin Celebration. I
will present this item to the American Society for Microbiology Archives
Committee. 

Thanks for the advance notification. 

Sincerely,

Douglas Eveleigh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. R. Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

Dear Dr. Douglas E. Eveleigh,
 
As a fellow scientist, you may already realize that Darwin's 200th birthday
will occur on February 12th, 2009.  Our 'Darwin Day' project is a nonprofit
organization designed to promote an International Celebration of Science and
Humanity each year on, or near, Feb. 12th as we move towards 2009.  Darwin
and the theory of evolution are being used as symbols of scientific
progress, and our goal is to achieve a Global Celebration by 2009.
Currently, events are being registered on our Website for 2005.
 
The purpose of this letter is to invite you to visit our website at
http://darwinday.org  --   and then to consider joining many others in this
constructive educational effort.  Our website offers extensive information
to assist you in developing ideas for a 'celebration' that is suitable for
your own unique circumstances.   
 
Supporters include prominent scientists, educators, philosophers, and
writers such as: Patrick Bateson, Provost, Kings College, Cambridge; Edward
O. Wilson, Harvard University; Richard Dawkins, Oxford University; Daniel C.
Dennett, Tufts University; Steven Pinker, MIT; Helena Cronin, London School
of Economics; Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education; Steve
Jones, Univ. College London; and many others. We encourage you to join them
and become an enthusiastic participant in this project.  To sign up quickly,
register at http://darwinday.org/register/index.php .

If you'd like to see some more whimsical activities related to Charles
Darwin, try clicking on "What's New" on our navigation bar.
 
Sincerely Yours,

---

From: "John Stear" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:34:07 +1000

Dear Bob

Thank you for your email concerning the Darwin Day celebrations for 2005.
My only involvement in the next celebration will be to promulgate it on my
web site (URL below).

However, I've passed your message on to our Darwin Day committee and they or
I will get back to you in due course.

Sincerely

John
[email-masked]
 
"Confession may be good for the soul but it's bad for the reputation". 
--Thomas R. Dewar
 
Be sure to visit my web site "No Answers in Genesis!"
http://home.austarnet.com.au/stear/

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. R. Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 14 December 2004 11:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

Dear John Stear,

First, a reminder that another year has passed and it's time for all of us
to begin planning for Darwin Day 2005.  Perhaps you recall that our goal is
to build this International Celebration of Science and Humanity each year as
we move towards Darwin's 200th birthday on February 12th, 2009.  We
sincerely hope that you are planning your event for February of 2005, and
will register your event on our website as you have done in the past.  You
may use this URL to go right to the registration:
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .
 
Secondly, we invite you to visit our 'all new Web site' with the same URL as
before: http://www.darwinday.org .  During the past few months we have been
busy building this new website to expand our outreach and science education
efforts, and we hope you will find it an attractive and informative
resource.  As you browse the new site you may find ideas that will help you
plan your own Darwin Day Celebration. 

Most importantly, we hope that once you have planned your Celebration event,
you will register and advertise your event at
http://darwinday.org/regevent/index.php .   If you are sure you will hold
the event, you may want to register it soon, so that other people can
contact you to help you during the next two months.  Together, we can create
a new International Celebration of Science and Humanity.
 
Sincerely yours,