Subject: The Beagle Project in The Times

From: Peter McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:24:43 +0000

Dear All,

In terms of British journalism, The Beagle Project has arrived in the  
shape of a good, thoughtful piece about us in The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/ 
article1403257.ece

 From the first paragraph it's clear that Peter Davies get the  
historical importance of the Beagle:

"From the all-too-modest service career of  HMS Beagle, it could never  
have been divined that she was destined to become one of the most  
famous ships ever to sail the seven seas."

Absolutely right: no voyage of the Beagle, Charles Darwin becomes a  
country vicar and no Origin of Species.  That's why we think it's so  
important to 2009 to have a floating, working inspiring replica as part  
of the celebrations and as a legacy to the scientific and educational  
community.

More later: the volume of support and interest merits another  
newsletter (it'll be written and sent after our latest round of  
meetings in London), but the Times was too good not to have a quick  
brag about.

Regards,
Peter McGrath

The HMS Beagle Project • Celebrating Darwin • Inspiring science•  
Building evolution's inspiration.
skype: petemcgrath
web: www.thebeagleproject.com
blog: www.thebeagleproject.com/beagleblog.html

tel: 0044 (0)1947 840 222  mob: 0044 (0)7771 662 098

A not for profit company registered in the UK
The Stableyard
Lawrenny
Pembrokeshore SA68 0PW
UK reg. no. 6025763

Charitable status pending