Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:44:46 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:06:44 +1200
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
28 July, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * The Isabela Project achieves the impossible <#isabela>
    * Tourist submarine detained in Galapagos Islands <#news>
    * Secure server back online <#secure>
    * Photographic competition results <#comp>
    * Galapagos Day tickets selling fast! <#gday>

  The Isabela Project achieves the impossible

Galapagos National Park
Charles Darwin Foundation

The Director of the Galapagos National Park (GNP), Raquel Molina, 
announced during the 47th anniversary celebrations of the creation of 
the Galapagos National Park, the successful culmination of field 
activities of the Isabela Project, a biinstitutional project carried out 
in partnership with the Charles Darwin Foundation (CDF). Speaking to GNP 
and CDF staff and invited dignitaries at the GNP facilities in Puerto 
Ayora on 4th July, Molina congratulated the project coordinators Felipe 
Cruz, Victor Carrión and their team of 32 park wardens, emphasizing 
their dedication and unflagging efforts to assure the restoration of the 
islands.

The Isabela Project is the largest invasive species eradication project 
ever undertaken in the world. Today the Isabela Project team is 
confident that after almost eight years they have achieved the 
elimination of the feral goats from northern Isabela Island, the largest 
island of the Galapagos archipelago and its neighboring Santiago Island. 
After thousands of helicopter flight hours and arduous groundwork in 
which teams of men and dogs combed the islands seeking out the last of 
the goats - all indications are that northern Isabela and Santiago are 
free of these invaders.

The Ecuadorian Government, the Global Environment Facility, the United 
Nations Development Program and the Friends of Galapagos organisations, 
and many individuals provided the financial resources to undertake the 
Isabela Project.

Now, not only are the feral goats no longer a threat to the fragile 
native ecosystem but also gone are other invasive species such as 
donkeys, pigs and several invasive plant species...
Visit www.gct.org/jul06_2.html <http://www.gct.org/jul06_2.html> for the 
full article.

..Top <#top>

  Tourist submarine detained in Galapagos Islands

Two Britons have been detained for illegally piloting a tiny tourist 
submarine into the protected waters of the Galapagos Islands, officials 
of the environmental reserve belonging to Ecuador said. The submarine 
crew and seven-members of a Panamanian ship that carried the undersea 
craft were caught without permits near the islands where Charles Darwin 
elaborated his theory of evolution...
Visit www.gct.org/jul06_1.html <http://www.gct.org/jul06_1.html> for the 
full article.

..Top <#top>

  Secure server back online

eMedia

We have recently encountered problems with our secure server that have 
meant we have been unable to take online credit card payments. This has 
now been rectified and you can once again purchase your event tickets 
and merchandise, make donations and sign up for membership securely online.

We would like to say a very big thank you to our new website hosts, 
eMedia, who have got us up and running again, in record time and with 
friendly service.

eMedia is a web development company who have been in operation for six 
years. Through providing high-end solutions at an affordable price, 
eMedia has become the market leader in self-managed, online ecommerce 
and content management website solutions. For further information, visit 
their website at http://www.emedia.co.nz.

..Top <#top>

  Photographic competition results

Winning photograph by Bart Goedendorp

Thank you to everyone who voted in the 2006 Galapagos photographic 
competition - we had nearly three times as many votes compared to 
previous years! The results of the online voting can be seen at 
www.gct.org/photo_vote06.html <http://www.gct.org/photo_vote06.html>. 
These images are featuring in GCT's 2007 Galapagos calendar, which will 
be available soon.

If you would like to place an order for your calendar, visit 
https://secure.gct.org/orderform.html, or contact Catherine at the GCT 
office by phoning +44 (0)20 7629 5049 or emailing [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

  Galapagos Day tickets selling fast!

Galapagos Day is once again proving to be a hit this year, with tickets 
selling quickly. If you would like to see footage shot during 2005 and 
2006 for a new BBC documentary /'Galapagos'/, and hear about the 
adventures of the BBC Natural History Unit team and how the film was 
made, then don't miss out on your tickets. The event also includes a 
wine reception before and after the lecture with the chance to meet 
hosts and Galapagos experts, and an opportunity to buy merchandise 
including the new 2007 Galapagos calendar and Christmas cards, brooches 
and ties.

For further information, visit www.gct.org/events2.html#gday06 
<http://www.gct.org/events2.html#gday06>. To purchase your lecture, 
dinner and/or raffle tickets, please visit 
https://secure.gct.org/gdaypay.html, or contact Abigail at the GCT 
office on +44 (0)20 7629 5049 or email [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>