Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:12:45 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:07:44 +1300
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
5 December, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * Shark research and conservation programme <#sharkresearch>
    * Adopt a booby or sea lion <#adopt>
    * GCT's fundraising webshop <#webshop>
    * Special Galapagos cards for Christmas <#xmas>
    * Anglo-Ecuadorian Society dinner at the House of Lords <#dinner>

  Shark research and conservation programme

Whale shark: photographer Dr Alex Hearn

The Galapagos Marine Reserve (GMR) fully protects sharks within its 
boundaries and given its great size, this region probably represents the 
largest shark refuge worldwide. However, since the 1980s there is strong 
evidence of the continued occurrence of illegal shark fishing within the 
Galapagos Marine Reserve by fishermen outside of Galapagos. Sharks are 
primarily exploited for their fins, which are highly valued in Asian 
markets. The sharks are caught in nets, have their fins cut off and then 
thrown back into the water to die.

This is reflected by an increase in shark fins confiscated by the 
Galapagos National Park Service, whose capture of fins has risen from 
556 fins in 1996 to over 13,000 fins during the last five years. Species 
identified by fins confiscated were 90% requiem sharks (silky, black 
tip, Galapagos, sandbar, blue sharks, etc.), 10% hammerheads, 0.4% 
thresher sharks and 0.1% whale shark.

For the latest update, and information on the background and objectives 
of the shark research programme, visit www.gct.org/nov06_2.html 
<http://www.gct.org/nov06_2.html>.

Please give a donation and help save a shark by visiting 
https://secure.gct.org/don_gen.html, or contact the GCT office on 020 
7629 5049.

..Top <#top>

  Adopt a booby or sea lion

For £25 you can adopt a blue-footed booby or Galapagos sea lion pup, and 
receive a special certificate detailing your gift. The certificate will 
also include information on your chosen booby or sea lion, and 
background about the Galapagos Islands. These packages will make a 
wonderful and unique Christmas present for someone special. To adopt 
your booby or sea lion pup, visit our website at www.gct.org 
<http://www.gct.org>.

..Top <#top>

  GCT's fundraising webshop

GCT has a new fundraising webshop through buy.at, which is a great way 
to get some fantastic online bargains, find cheaper gas and electricity 
services and even book your holidays. The shop includes retailers such 
as Adams Kids, Thorntons, Marks & Spencer and John Lewis. Remember, 
anything you buy through our webshop will help towards our fundraising 
targets.

Just to get you in the Christmas mood there is a great offer from 
Waterstone's. If you spend over £25 you will get £5 off, simply enter 
the code WH9827 at the checkout to take advantage of this great offer. 
Visit www.buy.at/galapagos <http://www.buy.at/galapagos> for more great 
offers from over 100 top retailers.

..Top <#top>

  Special Galapagos cards for Christmas

Christmas Pudding Tortoise Card

Choose from GCT's special cards to send for Christmas this year. The 
"Christmas Pudding Tortoise" card by Hannah Graham, the winner of the 
Christmas in Galapagos Art Competition, is just delightful and will 
bring a smile to the face of anyone who receives it. There are also 
mixed packs of sea lion and tortoise cards available.

Visit our gift catalogue at www.gct.org/other.html 
<http://www.gct.org/other.html> for details of these and other items.

..Top <#top>

  Anglo-Ecuadorian Society dinner at the House of Lords

The Anglo-Ecuadorian Society is arranging a rather special event at the 
House of Lords, by kind invitation of Baroness Gloria Hooper. The 
proceeds of the evening will go towards funding a school in Galapagos. 
The date has been set as 23rd February 2007, with a guided tour after 
the meal. The setting will be the Cholmondeley Room and the Terrace, and 
the name of the speaker at the dinner will be advised. The price of the 
dinner is £60 per person.

For further information, please contact Leslie Simpson on 01372 720816 
or by email to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>