Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:40:45 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:08:15 +1300
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
27 October, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * Fisheries linked to decline in Galapagos waved albatross
      population <#albatross>
    * 2007 Galapagos photographic competition <#2007comp>
    * Parody of the Penguins fundraising party <#penguins>
    * Tortoise Club for Schools launch 2006 <#tortoiseclub>
    * Select Latin America Galapagos Islands Cruise <#cruise>

  Fisheries linked to decline in Galapagos waved albatross population

Galapagos waved albatross

Fishermen caught and killed about 1 percent of the world's waved 
albatrosses in a year, according to a new study by Wake Forest 
University biologists.

"If that happens every year, that is not sustainable," said Jill 
Awkerman, a Wake Forest graduate student who is the lead author of the 
study published online Sept. 26 in the journal /Biological 
Conservation/. "In a matter of decades, you could be talking about 
extinction."

Awkerman's research shows the waved albatrosses are unintentionally 
killed when caught in fishing nets or on fishing hooks, but are also 
intentionally harvested for human consumption...

Visit http://www.gct.org/oct06_1.html for the full article.

..Top <#top>

  2007 Galapagos photographic competition

Entries are now open for next years photographic competition. 
Information on how to enter is available on our website at 
http://www.gct.org/photo_c.html. The best photographs will be chosen as 
the images for our popular Galapagos calendar and all winning entrants 
will receive 2 free calendars, with the overall winner receiving 2 free 
tickets to Galapagos Day in London. We look forward to receiving your 
entries!

..Top <#top>

  Parody of the Penguins fundraising party

There is less than a month to go until the special party being hosted by 
GCT to raise funds to help protect the Galapagos penguin and all of its 
marine neighbours, including rare seabirds, sharks, whales, turtles and 
sea lions.

Tickets are £35.00 inclusive of food and entertainment, and can be 
purchased by booking online <https://secure.gct.org/event_gen.html> or 
contacting Abigail on [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> or 020 
7629 5049. For further information, visit our website at 
http://www.gct.org/events2.html#penguins.

..Top <#top>

  Tortoise Club for Schools launch 2006

Tortoise Club for Schools launch

Thursday 12th October 2006 saw the re-launch of the Tortoise Club for 
Schools initiative at Milking Bank Primary School in Dudley.

The event, which began at 9am and ran throughout the day, finishing just 
before 5pm, was attended by a number of guests and experts. Dr Henry 
Nicholls, author of /Lonesome George - the Life and loves of a 
conservation icon/ began the day by talking to all 450 pupils in an 
assembly about conservation in Galapagos. Following this, children had 
the opportunity to meet and speak to a range of experts including George 
Spears and Pauline Owen from the British Chelonia Group, reptile keepers 
from West Midlands Safari Park, Proteus Reptile Trust, and Prestwood 
Petzone (a responsible local pet store). In addition to children from 
Milking Bank Primary School being involved in the event, a number of 
other local schools were invited and took part.

The event was extremely successful, and was covered by three local 
newspapers! A great day was had by all involved: children, teaching 
staff, guests and visitors. It has inspired the children who were 
involved to find out more, and has encouraged them to become the 
conservationists of the future.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Tortoise Club, 
please email [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

  Select Latin America Galapagos Islands Cruise

Select Latin America

A unique opportunity is coming up in October next year to cruise aboard 
the 3 masted tall ship /Sagitta/, specially chartered for this 
departure. Guests will be accompanied by David Horwell, Galapagos 
naturalist, author and photographer together with a local expert guide.

Select Latin America, who are running the cruise, will donate membership 
of GCT to each passenger and a share of the revenue generated.

For further information, visit our website at 
http://www.gct.org/charter_1.html.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>