Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:47:14 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:11:23 +1300
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
28 February, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * Galapagos News <#news>
    * Give Flowers that Last For Mother's Day <#flowers>
    * Galapagos Day Raffle <#gday>
    * New Additions to the Gift Catalogue <#gifts>
    * Discover the World Galapagos Islands Charter <#dtwcharter>

  Galapagos News

    * Charles Darwin Research Station news
      <http://www.gct.org/feb06_5.html> - The CDF's botany staff
      recently celebrated two unusual events in conservation biology:
      eradication of two invasive blackberry species...
      The ambitious Isabela Project is nearing completion in northern
      Isabela. The feral goats that once ran in herds of thousands,
      wreaking ecological havoc, are almost gone...
    * Galapagos National Park Galapagos National Park announcement on
      sport fishing <http://www.gct.org/feb06_3.html> - The Galapagos
      National Park Service advises all tour operators, local
      entrepreneurs, private boat owners and visitors to the islands
      that the operation of both recreational and commercial sports
      fishing is prohibited in the waters of the Galapagos Marine Reserve...
    * Galapagos News from IGTOA <http://www.gct.org/feb06_4.html> - Boat
      itineraries in Galapagos are undergoing changes. The Galapagos
      National Park held a meeting at the end of January with
      representatives of the travel industry. During the meeting the
      Park emphasized the need to reduce the impact of visitors at
      certain sites....
    * Tortoise killing continues <http://www.gct.org/feb06_2.html> - On
      1st February, Park Wardens in Isabela visited Cerro Azul volcano
      to monitor the giant tortoises and remove the introduced plants
      and animals found there. Cerro Azul is home to an important
      population of subspecies and a potential ecotourism site. What
      they found were 2 female adult tortoises that had been killed on
      purpose....
    * 120 children benefit from the "Exploring Opuntia" summer course
      <http://www.gct.org/feb06_1.html> - The "Exploring Opuntia" summer
      course is run by the Charles Darwin Foundation to provide
      activities for children in San Cristobal so that, during their
      holiday, they can learn about their natural environment through
      play.....

..Top <#top>

  Give Flowers that Last For Mother's Day

UK registered charity, the Galapagos Conservation Trust, launched its 
annual campaign to persuade the UK public to sponsor a Galapagos flower 
as a Mother's Day gift.

"For the cost of a bunch of flowers, people sponsoring a Galapagos 
flower can help save the critically endangered plant species of the 
Galapagos Islands", said Leonor Stjepic, Executive Director of the 
Galapagos Conservation Trust.

"There are 180 plant species in Galapagos that are found nowhere else on 
earth," continued Leonor, "of which 20 are considered critically 
endangered. If we lose those, we will never be able to replace them. 
Funds raised in this way will help stop these becoming extinct."

In return for a minimum donation of £15 the GCT will send your mother a 
special gift flower package.

Sponsoring a Galapagos flower for Mothering Sunday is easy - either 
visit Sponsor a Flower <https://secure.gct.org/sponsor2.html>, telephone 
Catherine on 0207 629 5049 or email [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>.

To ensure on-time delivery, the deadline for receiving orders is Friday 
17 March 2006.

..Top <#top>

  Galapagos Day Raffle

This year for our annual Galapagos Day event on the 27th September, the 
BBC will be joining us for a very special evening, where exclusive 
extracts will be shown from footage shot during 2005 for a BBC 
documentary. The team have endured an off-the-beaten-track Galapagos 
experience and will talk about their adventures and how they made the film.

You will have the opportunity to buy raffle tickets, featuring an 
exciting list of prizes including the star prize of a trip to Galapagos 
(donated by Julian Matthews from Discovery Initiatives); an exquisite 
Cashmere Throw (donated by Oyuna Cashmere); 2 nights stay at Flemings 
Hotel, Mayfair (donated by Flemings); 12 bottles of award-winning 
Kendermanns wines (donated by Kendermanns); an Olympus Mju II Kit Ultra 
Compact Camera (donated by Olympus); and a BBC book produced to 
compliment their Galapagos documentary (donated by BBC).

To secure your Galapagos Day event tickets and/or raffle tickets now, 
please visit Online ticket form <https://secure.gct.org/gdaypay.html>, 
or contact Abigail at the GCT office on +44 (0)20 7629 5049 or email 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

*NEW TICKET PRICES*
New ticket prices have been posted on our website for the gala 
performance of Darwin's Dream, coming soon on the 20th March at the 
Royal Albert Hall. For further information and details of how to 
purchase your tickets, visit www.gct.org/events2.html 
<http://www.gct.org/events2.html#dream>, or email [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

  New Additions to the Gift Catalogue

We have recently added a new selection of ties and jewellery to our gift 
catalogue. To view these and other great gifts, visit Gift catalogue 
<http://www.gct.org/gifts1.html>.

..Top <#top>

  Discover the World Galapagos Islands Charter

Galapagos Giant Tortoise

Join Discover the World and a guest lecturer from the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust for an exclusive sailing adventure around this unique 
archipelago and experience one of the most intriguing and inspiring 
natural habitats on earth.

During the fabulous wildlife cruise, spend some time at the Darwin 
Research Centre on Santa Cruz, explore islands including Isabela, 
Espanola and Floreana, witness the extraordinary array of endemic 
wildlife and take the opportunity to explore Ecuador's historic capital 
city.

For further information, visit www.gct.org/charter1.html 
<http://www.gct.org/charter1.html> or contact Discover the World on 
+44(0) 1737 218802.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>