Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:51:43 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:06:52 +1300
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
5 March, 2007

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * Goodbye to Leonor <#leonor>
    * Adopt a flower or tortoise for Mother's Day <#mothers>
    * The first step is taken to restore the ecology of Floreana <#floreana>
    * CDF studies reveal unwelcome visitors travelling with tourist
      boats <#cdfstudy>
    * Concern for corals unites GMR stakeholders <#corals>
    * Galapagos Day <#gday07>

  Goodbye to Leonor

Leonor Stjepic, Executive Director of GCT since 2001, is leaving to take 
up a new position heading the UK branch of an international children's 
charity. Her hard work and dedication has been evident in the results 
she has achieved over the past 6 years, raising GCT's profile and 
significantly increasing the funds raised for conservation projects in 
Galapagos. The staff and trustees of GCT are very appreciative of her 
contribution, and we would like to wish her all the best for the future. 
For any enquiries, please contact Interim Director John Harris in the 
GCT office on 020 7629 5049.

..Top <#top>

  Adopt a flower or tortoise for Mother's Day

Galapagos passionflower

Mothering Sunday was first celebrated in Britain in the 17th Century. It 
began as a day when apprentices and servants could return home for the 
day to visit their mothers and they often took a gift with them. 
Nowadays we celebrate Mother's Day as a day to remember and thank our 
own mothers for all they have done for us.

This year why not show your mum how special she is by buying a gift that 
helps protect one of the most special places in the world - the 
Galapagos Islands. By adopting a Galapagos flower or Galapagos giant 
tortoise you will be contributing to the conservation of a place known 
for its unique and extraordinary ecosystems. 95% of the islands' animals 
and plants are found nowhere else on earth.

To adopt a flower or a giant tortoise, please visit our website at 
www.gct.org <http://www.gct.org>.

..Top <#top>

  The first step is taken to restore the ecology of Floreana

Floreana, with 173 square kilometres of area, is the smallest island and 
the one with the smallest population but also one of the most altered 
given it was the first island to be colonised and to have a permanent 
population. These first human settlers brought with them domestic 
animals which, due to a fluctuating human population, soon reproduced 
and invaded virtually all the island, degrading its ecosystems as these 
invasive species competed with the native and endemic species for food, 
killed their young and eggs, eroded the soil and reduced vegetation 
cover. These invasive species are responsible for the extinction of one 
species (/Sicyos villosa/).
Visit www.gct.org/feb07_1.html <http://www.gct.org/feb07_1.html> for the 
full article.

..Top <#top>

  CDF studies reveal unwelcome visitors travelling with tourist boats

Sixteen Galapagos based tourist boats recently participated in a Charles 
Darwin Foundation (CDF) led study to find out how ship lights might 
contribute to the dispersal of insects in the archipelago. The study by 
Lazaro Roque and other CDF entomologists found solutions that will 
reduce the spread of introduced species to and between the Galapagos 
Islands. Although a trip to Galapagos allows visitors the privilege of 
experiencing nature at its most remarkable, tourism is not without costs 
to the environment.
Visit www.gct.org/feb07_2.html <http://www.gct.org/feb07_2.html> for the 
full article.

..Top <#top>

  Concern for corals unites GMR stakeholders

The "Corals of Galapagos" project team ran a workshop on "How to protect 
the remaining coral reefs in the northern Islands of Darwin, Wolf and 
Marchena", on Santa Cruz in January 2007. Marine experts, including 
scientists from the Charles Darwin Research Station, representatives of 
Conservation International and the Galapagos National Park joined 
stakeholder groups, including Galapagos dive guides and fishers, to 
discuss the importance of the coral reefs of the marine reserve and a 
plan to create anchorages to reduce the impacts of fishing and tourism 
on these fragile reefs.
Visit www.gct.org/feb07_3.html <http://www.gct.org/feb07_3.html> for the 
full article.

..Top <#top>

  Galapagos Day

GCT invites you to their annual Galapagos Day event at the familiar 
venue of the Royal Geographical Society in London, on the 26th 
September, 2007. There will be a wine reception before the lecture with 
the chance to meet hosts and Galapagos experts, and the opportunity to 
purchase merchandise including the 2007 Christmas card, brooches and 
ties. Watch this space for the announcement of this year's speaker, to 
be confirmed shortly.

Tickets are available now by booking through the GCT office - book early 
to avoid disappointment! Ticket invitations will be mailed to supporters 
during July. To purchase raffle tickets online now, visit 
https://secure.gct.org/gdaypay.html. For further information, contact 
Abi in the GCT office by phoning 020 7629 5049 or emailing 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2007. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>