Subject: [Fwd: Re: Harvard Conference poster]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 20:36:54 -0400

Nice progress  report.  We're touching some people.

  - D

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Harvard Conference poster
Date: 	Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:58:40 -0700
From: 	Geoff Willcher <[email-masked]>
To: 	Dr.R.Stephens <[email-masked]>
References: 	<[email-masked]>

Bob
 
Thank you for sending the poster. I will promote the symposium to the 
several interested groups with which I am affiliated. I am very 
interested in receiving other communications from the Darwin Day org and 
would like to contribute as I may be able.
 
In Seattle, Darwin Day events were held by the Pacific Science Center, 
which I attended, the East Side Brights (a group which I organized) and 
by the Discovery Institute (our local creationists and not very 
intelligent designers). BTW: they have recently posted a misleading 
article on Atheism to which I am responding at this moment. There were a 
few others events, but those organizers did not post their activities to 
your site, which, is a real shame.
 
For our Darwin Day event, I read up on Darwin and realized the 
considerable scope of his contributions to science beyond his 
articulation of the theory of evolution by natural selection. With only 
one biology course in my undergraduate training, and that back in the 
60's, I was much informed by my reading. I was able to communicate this 
scope to our audience.
 
As a result of this event, I have scheduled a showing of the uctv 
program: Evolution in Action and a discussion of Peter and Mary Grant's 
program of research as articulated in The Beak of The Finch. 
Additionally, I am planning a presentation on evolutionary developmental 
biology for our group. I may have to find a speaker for this topic as I 
won't have time to realistically prep for it myself, given my normal 
workload.
 
If you can think of ways that non-academic, independent groups such as 
the Brights, Seattle Atheists, Northwest Free Thinkers, etc. can support 
the Darwin Day event, please don't hesitate to contact us.
 
best regards,
 
Geoff Willcher, PhD.
(cognitive psych)

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Dr.R.Stephens <mailto:[email-masked]>
    *To:* [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
    *Sent:* Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:58 PM
    *Subject:* Harvard Conference poster

    Dear Darwin Day Friends and Supporters,

    As a service to you, the Darwin Day Board of Directors has
    authorized me to forward this information (attached as an Adobe
    Reader .pdf file) about a Humanist Symposium at Harvard. The Board
    thought that you might be interested in this event, as the Humanist
    Group at Harvard also sponsors a Darwin Day Celebration in February.

    Sincerely yours,

    Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
    Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
    SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
    President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible
    501(c)(3) corp.
    http://darwinday.org <http://darwinday.org/>

    P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day
    Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply send an e-mail to
    [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, using
    the account you want unsubscribed. If using that account is not
    possible, send the information from another account, with a message
    giving your old e-mail address, and the e-mail where we can verify
    that you actually want our messages stopped. You can also
    unsubscribe by sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly
    identified, to "Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682
    Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA".