Subject: [Fwd: Special news from the Galapagos Conservation Trust]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 02:37:38 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Special news from the Galapagos Conservation Trust
Date: 	Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:49:15 +1300
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
2 November, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

  The Galapagos Conservation Trust Announces New President

Andrew Marr

We are delighted to welcome journalist, broadcaster and political 
commentator Andrew Marr as GCT's new President. He began his career at 
the Scotsman in 1981 and until last year was Political Editor at BBC 
News. These days he is found hosting Sunday AM on BBC One and BBC Radio 
4's Start the Week each Monday.

"The pressure on the Galapagos Islands is greater than ever. External 
markets for tourism and shark fins are driving business growth in the 
Galapagos, which in turn has seen the local population double in the 
last five years," says Marr. "In this context there are increased 
threats to biodiversity through higher probabilities of arrival of 
invasive species, over harvests of natural resources and more frequent 
pollution events. Some of the new potential threats to biodiversity, 
including avian malaria, West Nile Fever and Bird Flu, may have highly 
damaging and unpredictable consequences."

Andrew first visited the Galapagos filming a special programme on 
Charles Darwin in 2002. He was so moved and inspired by the beautiful 
landscape and bizarre wildlife of the islands that the following year he 
agreed to speak to an audience at Galapagos Day 2003, held at the Royal 
Geographical Society's headquarters in London. Andrew is also remembered 
as Charles Darwin's champion in the BBC series of programmes that aimed 
to select the Greatest Briton. His talk ranged beyond the realms of 
animal and plant life, and considered what might be termed social and 
political Darwinism.

"We are honoured and delighted that Andrew Marr has agreed to become our 
President for the next 3 years," said Richard Robinson, Chairman of the 
Galapagos Conservation Trust. "If we are to protect the Galapagos, we 
must ensure that people understand that the Galapagos is under threat. 
Having such an experienced and high profile President as Andrew Marr 
will help us achieve that."

    Why the Galapagos must be preserved:

Lying 600 miles of the coast of Ecuador, this small cluster of islands 
are one of the most important wildlife areas in the world. The islands 
became Darwin's most significant stop-off during his five-year survey 
aboard /HMS Beagle/. His observations and discoveries of new species 
here became the bedrock for his theory of evolution through natural 
selection. Today 97% of the islands are National Park and make up the 
second largest Marine Reserve in the World. The islands are famously 
still home to the giant tortoise, marine iguana, flightless cormorant, 
blue-footed booby, waved albatross and Darwin finch, and the surrounding 
waters are home to unique sharks, sea lions, turtles and penguins.

/PS./ In the last email bulletin we talked about the Waved Albatross 
being caught up in fishing lines. We want to clarify that these are not 
through the actions of Galapagos fishermen but from fishing off the 
coast of Peru.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>