Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 23:33:02 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:12:20 +1200
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
8 June, 2006

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * New Park Director for Galapagos National Park <#director>
    * Vote online now in the 2006 photographic competition <#competition>
    * Last chance to sponsor a booby for Fathers Day! <#fathersday>
    * Tickets available for charity management seminar <#seminar>
    * Information Management volunteer wanted in Galapagos <#volunteer>
    * Discover the World Galapagos charter <#charter>

  New Park Director for Galapagos National Park

A new Park Director has been appointed for the Galapagos National Park. 
Raquel Molina took up her role on the 4th May, and is the first woman to 
run the Galapagos National Park. The following is a recent interview 
from /El Comercio:/

   1. *The Park has many challenges including staff shortages, how are
      you dealing with the shortfall of 60 park wardens?*
      We don't have enough staff to run the Park, we have to wait the
      outcome of re-engineering to know how many we need, and this is
      why we signed the contract with Senres.
   2. *Another challenge is the number of visitors. Will numbers be
      limited, given that there are now more than 128,000?*
      The first thing to do is to produce a new study on capacity so as
      not to exceed limits in the protected areas. The Park has been
      through a difficult period which has left it weakened; it must
      make decisions and do the research to allow it to manage the
      Marine Reserve better.
   3. *The study on the new dive sites is ready. This will open the door
      to new operating permits which might be worth two million dollars.
      How to evaluate this?*
      Studies have been underway since 2001 on how to judge the value of
      new kinds of tourism. I have met the users of the Marine Reserve
      and they know that the process will be transparent.
   4. *Do you already know when the new administrative statutes of the
      Park will come into play?*
      The acting Director of the Park agreed to put the new regime in
      place in the first half of this year and we are looking to achieve
      this.
   5. *Are the fishermen guaranteed to get tourist permits?*
      The fishermen will get preference but not exclusivity; there are
      other user groups who also have the right to participate according
      to Park rules.
   6. *How can it be guaranteed that the licences will stay within the
      control of the islanders?*
      We are looking for a legal way to allow the licences to stay in
      their hands. One of the priorities is to reduce the fishermen's
      pressure in the Marine Reserve and we will win nothing if we give
      licences to the fishermen and they sell them to outside business
      interests.
   7. *What progress has there been in the case against Felipe Trujillo
      for his threats to the park wardens on Isabela?*
      They are trying to pretend that they were the victims. The group,
      which included a naval man, were sport fishing and threatened to
      take away the Park pilot's licence and kill the warden in charge
      of the flight. This does not intimidate us.
   8. *Do you not feel subjected to pressure?*
      I was named Director as the result of a transparent process. I got
      this job on my own, with plenty of field work experience, I am not
      political and will not be. My strength is that I work via my
      principles. Anyone who breaks the rules will receive the same
      treatment, however important his political or economic influence
      may be, the law applies to everyone.

..Top <#top>

  Vote online now in the 2006 photographic competition

Last years winner, Greater flamingos by Claire Waring

Voting is now underway for the short listed images in the 2006 Galapagos 
photographic competition. Once again this year we have had a stunning 
array of images entered, and would like to take this opportunity to 
thank everyone who submitted their photographs for consideration.

You can vote for your favourite by visiting 
www.gct.org/photo_vote06.html <http://www.gct.org/photo_vote06.html>. 
The thirteen images with the highest number of votes will appear in 
GCT's 2007 Galapagos calendar. By placing your vote, you will also have 
the chance to win a signed poster of a Tui De Roy image, whose wonderful 
photographs will be familiar to many who have been to Galapagos.

..Top <#top>

  Last chance to sponsor a booby for Fathers Day!

GCT have the perfect gift for Fathers Day this year - sponsor a booby 
for a minimum donation of £30, and we will send your father a special 
Red Footed Boobies or Blue Footed Boobies silk tie. He will also receive 
a specially personalised letter confirming that a donation has been made 
on his behalf to help some of the unique birdlife of Galapagos.

For further information, visit www.gct.org/fathersday.html 
<http://www.gct.org/fathersday.html>, or contact Catherine in the GCT 
office by emailing [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> or 
phoning 020 7629 5049.

..Top <#top>

  Tickets available for charity management seminar

GCT's very own Executive Director, Leonor Stjepic, will be speaking at a 
seminar entitled "Not for Profit? The Art of Managing in changing and 
challenging environments", on the 5th July. Also speaking will be 
Professor Paul Palmer, Professor of Voluntary Sector Management at Cass 
Business School.

In this joint event, Professor Paul Palmer, a GCT supporter, will talk 
about the issues, trends and latest thinking in voluntary sector 
management and the contrast with commercial practice, for example in 
governance, relationships and opportunities for staff. Leonor will 
provide a leadership perspective - how she approaches running a 
high-profile charity in a challenging environment. Leonor will talk 
about the issues involved raising funds and creating awareness of the 
Galapagos Islands' conservation needs, and how GCT promotes change 
despite the differences in distance, social and working culture.

For further information visit www.gct.org/events2.html 
<http://www.gct.org/events2.html#nfp> or contact Abigail on 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> or 0207 629 5049.

..Top <#top>

  Information Management volunteer wanted in Galapagos

The Charles Darwin Foundation is currently seeking a volunteer for 
Information Management activities to work in the Charles Darwin Research 
Station (CDRS) in the Galapagos Islands. The Information Management 
volunteer will develop and implement an Information Management Plan for 
their science, communication and technical assistance programmes. The 
ideal candidate will have expertise in several of the following areas: 
Data Management, Geographic Information Systems, and Relational Database 
Development, Metadata Production, and Data Quality Control/Quality 
Assurance. For further information visit www.gct.org/pdf/vol.pdf 
<http://www.gct.org/pdf/vol.pdf>.

..Top <#top>

  Discover the World Galapagos charter

Specialist tour operator Discover the World have chartered the 
/Cachalote/, a 96-foot motor schooner, for an exclusive 11-night holiday 
in September sailing through the 'enchanted isles' in the company of a 
Galapagos Conservation Trust lecturer. During the fabulous wildlife 
cruise spend some time at the Charles Darwin Research Centre on Santa 
Cruz, explore Isla Isabela, Isla Espanola and Isla Floreana, witness the 
extraordinary array of endemic wildlife and take the opportunity to 
explore Ecuador's historic capital city.

For further information, visit www.gct.org/charter1.html 
<http://www.gct.org/charter1.html>.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2006. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>