Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: evolution sunday]]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:49:43 +0000

Dear Irv,

PLEASE SUBSTITUTE the message at the bottom of this email in place of 
the MS Word attachment in the previous message from us.

We forgot that people might not be printing it with MS Word, so our 
Headers/Footers wouldn't be seen.  We've moved them into what should 
appear with HTML displaying and appended it to this email after the 
"--------------" below.

  - Bob

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: evolution sunday
Date: 	Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:58:23 +0000
From: 	R.Stephens <[email-masked]>
Organization: 	Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit corp.
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], [email-masked]
References: 	<[email-masked]>

Dear Irv,
 
Many thanks for giving me the opportunity to send greeting to the 
supporters of Evolution Sunday. Attached is the letter that you can send 
to them along with the one from Alliance for Science.
 
I'm also pleased to accept your offer to speak to the AAAS for 5 minutes 
about our Darwin Day Project, next February in San Francisco, and I look 
forward to seeing you at this meeting. Perhaps we will have a chance to 
talk further about how we can support each other's projects. By the way, 
we have recently updated the Homepage on our Web site  
 www.darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org> and we have included the 
following information about the Alliance for Science towards the bottom 
of the page. Please let me know if you approve and/or suggest any 
changes that you might like us to make.
 
# */Alliance for Science/* <http://www.allianceforscience.org/>
In St. Louis on February 19, 2006, an organization representing 10,000 
Christian clergy from many denominations joined with scientists and 
educators to launch /The Alliance for Science/, which opposes the 
teaching of Creationism/Intelligent Design in public schools. Darwin Day 
recommends that you add your name to this cause!

Sincere best wishes,

Bob Stephens, President, Darwin Day Celebration

P.S. We may have spotted 2 typos in your letter with the mollusk shell 
logo.  In the second paragraph, second sentence,  you probably want the 
word "is" just before "vital".  Also, that paragraph ends with a doubled 
period ("..").  You've probably already fixed the missing punctuations 
just above your signature line.

--------------------

Darwin Day logo

   Darwin Day Celebration

             AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND HUMANITY

2682 Middlefield Rd., Suite P, Redwood City, CA  94063-3467  l  
[email-masked]  l  650-701-1948

Dear Supporters of the "Clergy Letter Project",

Greetings, and congratulations to all who participated in the Clergy 
Letter Project and Evolution Sunday on February 12, 2006.  We look 
forward to many additional participants in 2007!

Darwin Day was pleased to coordinate its /International Recognition of 
Science and Humanity/, with the Clergy Letter Project initiated by Dr. 
Michael Zimmerman in 2006 and we will be participating again in 2007.  
Darwin Day Celebrations take place each year on, or near February 12, 
Charles Darwin's birthday and many institutions have become a part of 
this tradition --- they include universities, colleges, museums, 
churches, and libraries, as well as private groups --- and they are 
currently planning for 2007.  It is our hope that the supporters of the 
Clergy Project will continue to hold /Evolution Sunday/ in their 
churches of differing traditions each year and become a part of the 
GLOBAL CELEBRATION for Darwin's bicentennial birthday in 2009!

It must be clear to all of us that it serves no one's interest for the 
American public to remain mislead about science in the 21^st century, so 
it's heartening to have so many of the clergy willing to use their 
influence to educate their parishioners informally about the central 
role of evolution in science today.  Darwin Day Celebration was founded 
in the year 2000 on the premise that *science, like music**,* is an 
international language that speaks to all people in very similar ways.  
While music is both intellectual and entertaining, science is our* 
**most reliable knowledge system**.*  Science has been, and continues to 
be, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity.  Because of Charles 
Darwin's central role in discovering the theory of evolution and from 
subsequent research that confirms his theory, we have concluded that he 
is a worthy symbol on which to focus, in order to build a Global 
Celebration of Science and Humanity that is intended to promote a common 
bond among all people of the earth.

The dual mission of Darwin Day Celebration is to /*promote public 
education about science*/ and in addition /*to encourage the celebration 
of Science and Humanity*/ throughout the global community.

Darwin Day is pleased to join /The Alliance for Science/ and the/ Clergy 
Letter Project/ in a common effort to provide the American public 
multiple opportunities to learn the true nature of science!  We look 
forward to working with you in coming years and, in addition, you may 
find the information on our website helpful to you as you prepare for 
Evolution Sunday.

Sincerely yours,

Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph.D.         

President, Darwin Day Celebration, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, 
tax-deductible corp.

Website: http://www.darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org/>

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>