Subject: [Fwd: Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:40:46 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust e-News
Date: 	Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:49:03 +1200
From: 	Galapagos Conservation Trust <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

Galapagos hawk
Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html>  |  Membership 
<http://www.gct.org/member.html>  |  Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html>  |  Conservation projects 
<http://www.gct.org/funded.html>  |  About Us 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html>  |  Contact Us 
<http://www.gct.org/contact.html>

Galapagos Conservation Trust logo 	  Welcome to the Galapagos 
Conservation Trust's e-newsletter...
26 April, 2007

Dear Mr Stephens,

In this edition:

    * Ecuadorian government calls for immediate action to conserve
      Galapagos <#action>
    * GCT's shark campaign launched <#sharks>
    * Prestigious award for visionary scientist <#award>
    * Galapagos News online <#gnews>
    * Photographic information updated <#guide>
    * Name change for GCT website <#website>

  Ecuadorian government calls for immediate action to conserve Galapagos

Ecuador's President Rafael Correa has declared the Galapagos Islands at 
risk and a national conservation priority. The President's declaration 
recognises the need for urgent and radical change in the direction of 
development in Galapagos.

Galapagos is experiencing rapid economic growth, increasing 
institutional complexity and frailty, and consequent impacts on 
biodiversity through invasive species, pollution and over-harvest. 
Tourism visitation has grown in Galapagos from 40,000 in 1991 to over 
120,000 in 2006; over this period the tourism economy has grown at a 
yearly rate of 14%...

For the full article, visit our website at 
www.savegalapagos.org/apr07_1.html 
<http://www.savegalapagos.org/apr07_1.html>.

GCT is very supportive of the Ecuador Government's intention to 
introduce measures to overcome the huge institutional, environmental and 
social crises in the Islands, and we look forward to learning more about 
the actions proposed. GCT continues its work to raise funds and 
awareness for conservation of the very special ecosystem in the islands, 
increasingly threatened by rapid economic growth.

..Top <#top>

  GCT's shark campaign launched

Hammerhead Sharks: copyright Galapagos National Park Service

200 sharks are killed a minute ... up to 100 million sharks are killed a 
year ... one shark fin can sell for as little as £5 ... sharks could be 
completely wiped out in the next 50 years ...

If these are facts that horrify you, then visit 
www.savegalapagos.org/sharkmain.html 
<http://www.savegalapagos.org/sharkmain.html> for details of our shark 
campaign, and information on the barbaric practice of shark finning that 
is on the increase in Galapagos and around the world.

We need to stop the demand for shark fins. GCT wants the UK to be a 
leading example to the rest of Europe to change the law and stop this 
unnecessary trade. To make the trade of shark fins in Europe illegal 
would make a significant difference to the demand and could be used as a 
model for the rest of the world. We urgently need to raise money to 
increase the protection and monitoring of the marine reserve in 
Galapagos - one of the biggest shark refuges in the world.

..Top <#top>

  Prestigious award for visionary scientist

Professor Irenäus Eibl-Eibesfeldt at a GCT event

The Ecuadorian Government honored Professor Irenäus Eibl-Eibesfeldt with 
the /Condecoracion de la Orden Nacional al Merito en Grado de 
Comendador/ award for service to the country, during the opening dinner 
on 8th April for the UNESCO world heritage site review committee 
meetings held in Galapagos this week. The Minister of the Environment, 
on behalf of the Ecuadorian Government, bestowed the award commemorating 
the 50th anniversary of the efforts by Irenäus Eibl-Eibesfeldt and the 
late Robert Bowman that led to the establishment of both the Charles 
Darwin Foundation (CDF) and the Galapagos National Park in 1959.

For the full article, visit our website at 
www.savegalapagos.org/apr07_2.html 
<http://www.savegalapagos.org/apr07_2.html>.

..Top <#top>

  Galapagos News online

The Spring 2007 issue of /Galapagos News/ has been published and hit 
mailboxes around the world recently. Both /Galapagos News/ and /UK News/ 
are now available for downloading from the Members Area of our website 
at www.savegalapagos.org/mem_area.html 
<http://www.savegalapagos.org/mem_area.html>.

If you would prefer to receive /Galapagos News/ by email instead of mail 
in the future, please email [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> and we 
will notify you each time new issues are placed online.

..Top <#top>

  Photographic information updated

We have recently updated the Photographic Guide section of our website 
to include information on digital cameras and other technology, thanks 
to Julian Fitter, Daniel Fitter and David Hosking who have just 
published a new edition of "Wildlife of Galapagos", and who allow us to 
provide excerpts from their book online.

You can read our guide at www.savegalapagos.org/photo.html 
<http://www.savegalapagos.org/photo.html>, or email [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> for details of how to purchase the book.

..Top <#top>

  Name change for GCT website

GCT has a new address for its website that will hopefully stick in 
everyone's minds and tell you exactly what we aim to do - 
www.savegalapagos.org <http://www.savegalapagos.org>. You will still be 
able to access the website through the old address, www.gct.org 
<http://www.gct.org>, but please update your favourites and other links 
to the new address.

..Top <#top>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Galapagos Conservation Trust GOLD CLUB*
Bales Worldwide | Bernard Chandran | Celebrities Worldwide | Discovery 
Initiatives | Durley House | Eric Way | Flemings | Laurent Perrier | 
Nicholas Moll Design | Quasar Nautica | Rhubarb | Select Latin America | 
The Ultimate Travel Company

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe <http://www.gct.org/newsreq.html> | Forward this newsletter to 
a friend <http://www.gct.org/enews/eforward.html> | Change your email 
address <http://www.gct.org/enews/echange.html>

Would you prefer to receive a text-only version of this email newsletter?
Then please reply and write TEXT in the subject line of your email.

GCT is a registered charity (no. 1043470). Address: 5 Derby Street, 
London W1J 7AB, United Kingdom. If you have received this email in 
error, or wish to be removed from our list, please reply and write 
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Home <http://www.gct.org/index.html> | About GCT 
<http://www.gct.org/about.html> | Explore Galapagos 
<http://www.gct.org/intro.html> | Conservation 
<http://www.gct.org/conserve.html> | Get Involved 
<http://www.gct.org/involved.html> | Newsroom 
<http://www.gct.org/news.html> | Events <http://www.gct.org/events.html> 
| Visiting Galapagos <http://www.gct.org/visit.html> | Junior Zone 
<http://www.gct.org/children.html> | Links 
<http://www.gct.org/links.html> | Site map 
<http://www.gct.org/sitemap.html>
Copyright © Galapagos Conservation Trust 2007. Read our Terms of use 
<http://www.gct.org/terms.html> and Privacy policy 
<http://www.gct.org/privacy.html>