Subject: Interesting Downe House anecdote

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:07:48 -0800

Dear Dr. Stephens,

An anecdote.

I grew up in south London, and from time to time on a Boy Scout hike we
would finish at Downe House. At that time, it was simply an old house, and
we would use the toilets, and perhaps clean up a little from our muddy
trails. What a delight today that the nation realized the importance of this
historic site. They still have nice toilets.

I will try and think of something in relation to the Darwin Celebration. I
will present this item to the American Society for Microbiology Archives
Committee.

Thanks for the advance notification.

Sincerely,

Douglas Eveleigh

Subject: RE: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed
From: "Douglas E. Eveleigh" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:39:01 -0500

Dear Dr. Stephens,

An anecdote.

I grew up in south London, and from time to time on a Boy Scout hike we
would finish at Downe House. At that time, it was simply an old house, and
we would use the toilets, and perhaps clean up a little from our muddy
trails. What a delight today that the nation realized the importance of this
historic site. They still have nice toilets.

I will try and think of something in relation to the Darwin Celebration. I
will present this item to the American Society for Microbiology Archives
Committee. 

Thanks for the advance notification. 

Sincerely,

Douglas Eveleigh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. R. Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Darwin Day Event Listings Needed

Dear Dr. Douglas E. Eveleigh,
 
As a fellow scientist, you may already realize that Darwin's 200th birthday
will occur on February 12th, 2009.  Our 'Darwin Day' project is a nonprofit
organization designed to promote an International Celebration of Science and
Humanity each year on, or near, Feb. 12th as we move towards 2009.  Darwin
and the theory of evolution are being used as symbols of scientific
progress, and our goal is to achieve a Global Celebration by 2009.
Currently, events are being registered on our Website for 2005.
 
The purpose of this letter is to invite you to visit our website at
http://darwinday.org  --   and then to consider joining many others in this
constructive educational effort.  Our website offers extensive information
to assist you in developing ideas for a 'celebration' that is suitable for
your own unique circumstances.   
 
Supporters include prominent scientists, educators, philosophers, and
writers such as: Patrick Bateson, Provost, Kings College, Cambridge; Edward
O. Wilson, Harvard University; Richard Dawkins, Oxford University; Daniel C.
Dennett, Tufts University; Steven Pinker, MIT; Helena Cronin, London School
of Economics; Eugenie Scott, National Center for Science Education; Steve
Jones, Univ. College London; and many others. We encourage you to join them
and become an enthusiastic participant in this project.  To sign up quickly,
register at http://darwinday.org/register/index.php .

If you'd like to see some more whimsical activities related to Charles
Darwin, try clicking on "What's New" on our navigation bar.
 
Sincerely Yours,
 
Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program, 
SRI International, formerly Stanford Research Institute.
Chairman of the Board, Darwin Day Celebration, a Nonprofit Corp.
http://darwinday.org  
 
PS If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration, simply reply to this e-mail at [email-masked].