Subject: [Fwd: Re: Seeking your advice for Darwin Day Celebration worldwide]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:33:14 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Seeking your advice for Darwin Day Celebration worldwide
Date: 	Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:10:56 +0100
From: 	j.s.jones <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

>
>
>1. We will be making our first announcement about the upcoming 2006 Darwin 
>Day Celebration about the second week in October 2005 via an automated 
>emailing to many thousands of potential participants -- particularly 
>science educators.  This will give them plenty of lead time to develop 
>their own Celebrations.  We would appreciate it greatly if you would 
>permit us to use your name or signature as a Darwin Day Advisor on such 
>announcements for 2006.  Would you permit us to use your name in this manner?

Of course

>
>2. It would be of great value to us if you would write a brief Statement, 
>Paragraph or Essay about Darwin Day, and the importance of celebrating 
>Science and Humanity, over your signature so that we could use it on our 
>website and for publicity.  Would you be willing to do this?

Charles Darwin turned biology into science, rather than stamp-collecting. 
Before 1859 many clever people were hard at work on fossils, on anatomy, on 
sheep-breeding and on the infinite variety of life but nobody realised that 
they were all studying the same thing: evolution. Now, every piece of 
biological information - from studies of the Pre-Cambrian to the new 
comparative anatomy (otherwise known as molecular biology) and even to much 
of medicine - can be added to the great edifice known as evolution which is 
so familiar to and accepted by all biologists that they sometimes forget 
its central im.jarne@portance. Darwin Day reminds us of its great 
architect, and is time to celebrate his ideas. They place us firmly within 
the living world, and not above it.

>
>
>3. If you can help us identify appropriate individuals or groups in 
>non-English speaking countries that we could contact to assist us in those 
>countries specifically, by translating the DarwinDay site into their 
>language and by helping us with correspondence in their language, this 
>would be very helpful in our efforts to become multilingual.  If you can 
>send us names to contact, we will take it from there.
Could you try the Academie Francaise in Paris? There are evolutionists at 
the CNRS in montpellier: [email-masked] might be an 
appropriate contact.

>
>4. Finally, I would like to know if you would be so kind as to be 
>available to answer inquiries about Darwin Day from the press during next 
>years celebration, should we need to refer them to you?

No problem

steve jones

>
>If you are able to participate in one or more of these items we will be 
>very pleased.  With your assistance we believe we can make a 10 fold 
>increase in the number of Darwin Day Events each year leading up to a 
>Grand Global Celebration on Darwin's bicentennial birthday in 2009.
>
>Sincerely yours,
>
>Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph.D.
>President, Darwin Day Celebration
>