Subject: [Fwd: The Beagle Project in The Times]

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:14:25 +0000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	The Beagle Project in The Times
Date: 	Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:24:43 +0000
From: 	Peter McGrath <[email-masked]>
To: 	David Lort-Phillips <[email-masked]>

Dear All,

In terms of British journalism, The Beagle Project has arrived in the 
shape of a good, thoughtful piece about us in The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article1403257.ece 

 From the first paragraph it's clear that Peter Davies get the 
historical importance of the Beagle:

"From the all-too-modest service career of /HMS Beagle/, it could never 
have been divined that she was destined to become one of the most famous 
ships ever to sail the seven seas."

Absolutely right: no voyage of the Beagle, Charles Darwin becomes a 
country vicar and no Origin of Species. That's why we think it's so 
important to 2009 to have a floating, working inspiring replica as part 
of the celebrations and as a legacy to the scientific and educational 
community.

More later: the volume of support and interest merits another newsletter 
(it'll be written and sent after our latest round of meetings in 
London), but the Times was too good not to have a quick brag about.

Regards,
Peter McGrath

The HMS Beagle Project • Celebrating Darwin • Inspiring science• 
Building evolution's inspiration.
skype: petemcgrath
web: www.thebeagleproject.com
blog: www.thebeagleproject.com/beagleblog.html

tel: 0044 (0)1947 840 222 mob: 0044 (0)7771 662 098

A not for profit company registered in the UK
The Stableyard
Lawrenny
Pembrokeshore SA68 0PW
UK reg. no. 6025763

Charitable status pending

Dear All,

In terms of British journalism, The Beagle Project has arrived in the
shape of a good, thoughtful piece about us in The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article1403257.ece

>From the first paragraph it's clear that Peter Davies get the
historical importance of the Beagle:

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><x-tad-bigger>"From the all-too-modest
service career of  </x-tad-bigger><italic><x-tad-bigger>HMS
Beagle</x-tad-bigger></italic><x-tad-bigger>, it could never have been
divined that she was destined to become one of the most famous ships
ever to sail the seven seas."

Absolutely right: no voyage of the Beagle, Charles Darwin becomes a
country vicar and no Origin of Species.  That's why we think it's so
important to 2009 to have a floating, working inspiring replica as
part of the celebrations and as a legacy to the scientific and
educational community.

More later: the volume of support and interest merits another
newsletter (it'll be written and sent after our latest round of
meetings in London), but the Times was too good not to have a quick
brag about.

Regards,

Peter McGrath

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

The HMS Beagle Project • Celebrating Darwin • Inspiring science•
Building evolution's inspiration.

skype: petemcgrath

web: www.thebeagleproject.com

blog: www.thebeagleproject.com/beagleblog.html

tel: 0044 (0)1947 840 222  mob: 0044 (0)7771 662 098

A not for profit company registered in the UK

The Stableyard

Lawrenny

Pembrokeshore SA68 0PW

UK reg. no. 6025763

Charitable status pending