Subject: Claim for earliest Darwin celebration

From: "R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:35:55 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Darwin's 200th Birthday
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:52:18 -0500
From: Frederick W. Schueler <[email-masked]>
Organization: Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
To: [email-masked]
CC: Aleta <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Dear Frederick W. Schueler,
> 
> We believe you or your organization held an event in February, 2004, 
> that celebrated the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin. Your 
> event was described on our list of worldwide Darwin Day events at:  
> http://www.darwinday.org/dev/home/2004.html . 

* I've registered for this year, but this has resulted in a change in
the URL for the 2004 event from http://pinicola.ca/darwind.htm to
http://pinicola.ca/darwind04.htm - so I wonder if you could change this
in your listing of the 2004 events. This year's URL is again
http://pinicola.ca/darwind.htm, and will change to
http://pinicola.ca/darwind05.htm when next year's event is announced.

You say on your website that "Darwin Day was initiated in 1994", but as
we note at http://pinicola.ca/darwind2.htm "We first marked Darwin's Day
with a Phylum Feast on Haida Gwaii [the Queen Charlotte Islands, British
Columbia] in 1989, with a meal that included salvaged Minke Whale meat,
smoked Turkey slices, pickled Herring, Soft-shell Clams, commercial
escargot, shrimp, & Ostrich Fern fiddleheads, Onions, Rice, Pecans, and
Spinach." I don't know how interested in tracing the history of every
last Darwin's Day tradition, but that's the first date our family
actually got around to doing something instead of just thinking it would
be a good idea.

fred.
------------------------------------------------------------
            Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
       RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
      (613)258-3107 <[email-masked]> http://pinicola.ca
------------------------------------------------------------
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------