Subject: Re: Darwin Day: We're Growing, Together

From: Donald Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:06:10 -0800

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:53:50 +0000, Dr.R.Stephens wrote:

> Dear Fellow Darwin Day Celebrants,
> 
> Darwin Day, February 12, 2006, is not far off and it is a 
> pleasure to contact you once again to encourage you to register 
> your EVENT on the Darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> Web 
> site, so that we can all feel encouraged by our common desire to 
> Celebrate -- especially Darwin, Science and Humanity.  Many 
> thanks for having participated in previous years.  We look 
> forward to hearing from you again!  It's our belief that the 
> citizens of the world long to be involved in human progress.  So, 
> if we join together to celebrate those things that unite us, and 
> use the tools we have developed such as basic scientific 
> knowledge, intellectual maturity and rational thought, to solve 
> our differences -- together we can build a better world.
> 
> We have begun to notice that as we come closer to Darwin's 
> bicentennial birthday on February 12, 2009, more and more 
> colleges, universities, humanists, freethought organizations, 
> libraries, museums, private groups and churches are joining the 
> annual international Darwin Day Celebration of Science and 
> Humanity!  If you have not previously participated we hope that 
> 2006 will be the year you join in the fun and informal 
> education.  The increasing response to this idea appears to be at 
> least partially due to the attempts of fundamentalists to 
> discredit the scientific theory of evolution with superstition 
> and pseudo-science under the guise of "Intelligent Design."  It's 
> time for those of us who know better to respond creatively with a 
> Darwin Day Celebration! 
> The staff here at DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> has 
> been very busy this past year and we are pleased to report that 
> the Darwin Day organization has greatly improved its website and 
> our ability to communicate with large numbers of people.  This 
> ability will allow us to encourage the development of many more 
> Darwin Day Celebrations worldwide.  Please take time to read the 
> new information we have recently posted, and will frequently 
> update on the Darwin Day homepage.  We're currently featuring 
> early registrations for 2006.  There are also improvements to be 
> found in most sections of the Web site.  For instance, under 
> "News & Views" we have recently added statements and essays that 
> support evolution and the need to celebrate Darwin, Science and 
> Humanity -- so do take a little time to browse!
> 
> Finally we have introduced a section on the home page about the 
> /"Two Emancipators",/ born on the same day in the same year: 
> Abraham Lincoln, emancipator of the American slaves, and Charles 
> Darwin, emancipator of the human mind.  Essays supporting this 
> view are linked to the homepage for your convenience.
> 
> Sincerely yours,
> 
> Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
> Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
> SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
> President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 
> 501(c)(3) corp.
> DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org>
> 
> 
> P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day 
> Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply reply to this 
> e-mail at [email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>, using the account you want 
> unsubscribed.  If using that account is not possible, send the 
> information from another account, with a message giving your old 
> e-mail address, and the e-mail where we can verify that you 
> actually want our messages stopped.  You can also unsubscribe by 
> sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly identified, to 
> "Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. 
> P, Redwood City CA  94063, USA".
>

---

From: "Barrett, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:47:57 +1100

________________________________

From: Dr.R.Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, 16 January 2006 6:21 PM
To: Barrett, Peter
Subject: Darwin Day: We're Growing, Together 

Darwin Day, February 12, 2006, is not far off and it is a pleasure to
contact you once again to encourage you to register your EVENT on the
Darwinday.org <http://www.darwinday.org/>  Web site, so that we can all
feel encouraged by our common desire to Celebrate - especially Darwin,
Science and Humanity.  Many thanks for having participated in previous
years.  We look forward to hearing from you again!  It's our belief that
the citizens of the world long to be involved in human progress.  So, if
we join together to celebrate those things that unite us, and use the
tools we have developed such as basic scientific knowledge, intellectual
maturity and rational thought, to solve our differences -- together we
can build a better world. 

We have begun to notice that as we come closer to Darwin's bicentennial
birthday on February 12, 2009, more and more colleges, universities,
humanists, freethought organizations, libraries, museums, private groups
and churches are joining the annual international Darwin Day Celebration
of Science and Humanity!  If you have not previously participated we
hope that 2006 will be the year you join in the fun and informal
education.  The increasing response to this idea appears to be at least
partially due to the attempts of fundamentalists to discredit the
scientific theory of evolution with superstition and pseudo-science
under the guise of "Intelligent Design."  It's time for those of us who
know better to respond creatively with a Darwin Day Celebration!  

The staff here at DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/>  has been
very busy this past year and we are pleased to report that the Darwin
Day organization has greatly improved its website and our ability to
communicate with large numbers of people.  This ability will allow us to
encourage the development of many more Darwin Day Celebrations
worldwide.  Please take time to read the new information we have
recently posted, and will frequently update on the Darwin Day homepage.
We're currently featuring early registrations for 2006.  There are also
improvements to be found in most sections of the Web site.  For
instance, under "News & Views" we have recently added statements and
essays that support evolution and the need to celebrate Darwin, Science
and Humanity -- so do take a little time to browse!

Finally we have introduced a section on the home page about the "Two
Emancipators", born on the same day in the same year: Abraham Lincoln,
emancipator of the American slaves, and Charles Darwin, emancipator of
the human mind.  Essays supporting this view are linked to the homepage
for your convenience. 

Sincerely yours,

President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c)(3)
corp.

P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply reply to this e-mail
at [email-masked], using the account you want unsubscribed.
If using that account is not possible, send the information from another
account, with a message giving your old e-mail address, and the e-mail
where we can verify that you actually want our messages stopped.  You
can also unsubscribe by sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly
identified, to "Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield
Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City CA  94063, USA".

**********************************************************************
                                WARNING

This email message and any attached files may contain information
that is confidential and subject of legal privilege intended only for
use by the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.   If you
are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient be advised that you
have received this message in error and that any use, copying,
circulation, forwarding, printing or publication of this message or
attached files is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
information contained therein. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
InBox.

AFP Web site: http://www.afp.gov.au
**********************************************************************