Subject: Unsubscribe

From: "Simpson, Hathy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:33:49 -0500

Unsubscribe [email-masked]

________________________________

From: Dr.R.Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:27 AM
To: Simpson, Hathy
Subject: Darwin Day 2007: celebrate Science and Humanity!

 
	   Darwin Day Celebration

AN INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION OF SCIENCE AND HUMANITY

    2682 Middlefield Rd., Suite P, Redwood City, CA 94063 * 
[email-masked] * 650-701-1948

Dear Librarian,

Each year Darwin Day (DD) celebrations, in recognition of Science and
Humanity, take place on, or near February 12, Charles Darwin's birthday.
Many libraries have become a part of this tradition by developing a
display or activity appropriate for the occasion at their facility. If
your library has participated in past years, take a bow! If it has not,
we hope you will be a part of Darwin Day in 2007. These celebrations
provide an opportunity for you to display your unique collection of
books on evolutionary science for all to see and appreciate, and to
encourage their use. Most events are sponsored by existing institutions
such as universities; colleges, museums, churches, and libraries as well
as private groups and now is the time to start planning for 2007 --
Charles Darwin's 198th birthday. Don't forget, there are only two more
years before there will be a GLOBAL CELEBRATION for Darwin's
bicentennial birthday in 2009! 

To see what others are doing and to get some fresh ideas, please take
time to visit our updated Home page at www.darwinday.org
<http://www.darwinday.org/> , and browse the section on "Examples on How
to Celebrate Science and Humanity," toward the bottom of the page. Note
that this year's Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, Roger Kornberg,
recommended the celebration of science on the PBS News Hour
<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec06/nobel_10-04.html> ,
on October 3, 2006. Take a little time to click on the various examples
of Websites that have been developed for Darwin Day (DD) events in the
past. For instance there are samples for universities, colleges, high
schools, K-12, museums, libraries
<http://darwinday.org/englishL/links/links1.html#libraries> , churches,
and more. There are also examples of some very exceptional projects that
are being planned for Darwin's birthday bicentennial in 2009
<http://darwinday.org/englishL/links/links1.html#events2009> .

As was reported earlier this year, the DD celebration on February 12,
2006, was a tremendous success, with over 650 events being held around
the world in at least 13 countries. In addition, together we made the
news in a big way, appearing in over 150 newspapers, E-news articles and
even on prime time TV news. All in all, we believe that DD Events and
reports in the media reached at least a few million members of the
public with a positive educational opportunity to learn more about
evolution.

To prepare for the Global Bicentennial Celebration in 2009 our staff is
currently having our website translated into many different languages so
that we can reach out to the international community more effectively.
We hope that you are planning ahead to be a part of this historic
celebration of Darwin, Science and Humanity.

Sincere thanks for your support,

Robert J. ("Bob") Stephens, Ph. D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible 501(c)(3)
corp.
Email: [email-masked]
Website: http://darwinday.org <http://darwinday.org/> 

P.S. If you do not want to receive further e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply send an e-mail to 
[email-masked], using the account you want unsubscribed. If
using that account is not possible, send the information from another
account, with a message giving your old e-mail address, and the e-mail
where we can verify that you actually want our messages stopped. You can
also unsubscribe by sending regular mail, with your e-mail clearly
identified, to "Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield
Rd, Ste. P, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA".