Subject: REMOVE

From: "Mark Sheinberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:51:07 -0700

-----Original Message-----
  From: Dr.R.Stephens [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:45 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday Celebration!

                                                              Re: Darwin Day
Celebration 2006
                                                              Date: October
27, 2005

  Dear science educator:

  As we move closer to Darwin's bicentennial birthday on February 12, 2009,
more and more classrooms, universities, libraries, museums, public and
private groups are joining the annual international Darwin Day Celebration
of Science and Humanity each year on February 12th!  If you have not
previously participated we hope that 2006 will be the year you join in the
fun and informal education.  Be sure to visit our website www.DarwinDay.org
for extensive information that will help you plan your Darwin Day EVENT.
You can sign up there to become more informed and involved if you wish.

  As a science educator you may be aware that recent studies by Dr. Jon
Miller at Northwestern University in Chicago has shown that only 20 to 25%
of Americans are familiar with scientific concepts and terminology and that
most of the rest "don't have a clue."  In addition, Dr. Eugenie Scott,
Director of the National Center for Science Education states that "We ignore
public understanding of science at our peril."

  All of us who are science educators should recognize a significant
responsibility to contribute to the improvement of this national failure by
contributing some of our valuable time to the "informal" scientific
education of our youth and the general public.  An important way to
contribute is to have a local Darwin Day Celebration of Science and Humanity
at each of our institutions and invite the general public to participate.

  Our Website www.DarwinDay.org contains material to assist you in the
development of an EVENT that you will be proud of, at no cost to you.  So
join with many others around the world in the Celebration of our most
reliable knowledge system: verifiable scientific knowledge, so critical to
our national future.

  Sincerely yours,

  Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph.D.
  Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,
  SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
  President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible, 501(c)3
organization
  http://www.DarwinDay.org

  P.S.  If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply send an e-mail to
[email-masked], with a clear indication of which e-mail address
to avoid.

  You can also send regular mail, with your e-mail identified clearly, to
Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, Redwood
City, CA  94063.