Subject: Re:FYI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:17:40 EST

____________________________________
     
____________________________________
      Robert Ingersoll on  Darwin 
This [19th] century  will be called Darwin's century.  He was one of the 
greatest men who  ever touched this globe.  He has explained more of the phenomena 
of  life than all of the religious teachers.   
Write the name of  Charles Darwin on the one hand and the name of every 
theologian who  ever lived on the other, and from that name has come more light to 
the  world than from all of those.  His doctrine of evolution, his  doctrine 
of the survival of the fittest, his doctrine of the origin of  species, has 
removed in every thinking mind the last vestige of orthodox  Christianity.  He 
has not only stated, but he has demonstrated, that  the inspired writer knew 
nothing of this world, nothing of the origin of  man, nothing of geology, nothing 
of astronomy, nothing of nature; that the  Bible is a book written by 
ignorance -- at the instigation of  fear.   
Think of the men who  replied to him.  Only a few years ago there was no 
person too  ignorant to successfully answer Charles Darwin; and the more ignorant 
he  was the more cheerfully he undertook the task.  He was held up to the  
ridicule, the scorn and contempt of the Christian world, and yet when he  died, 
England was proud to put his dust with that of her noblest and her  grandest.  
Charles Darwin conquered the intellectual world, and his  doctrines are now 
accepted facts.   
-- Robert Green Ingersoll 
Orthodoxy (1884)