Subject: [Fwd: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb 02: The GoSSIP Project]

From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:06:37 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb 02: The GoSSIP Project
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:30:53 -0800
From: Bill Kendrick <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group! ( http://www.svlug.org/ )

WHAT:

   The GoSSIP Project
   (Gossip Optimization for Selective Spam Prevention)

WHEN:

   Wednesday, February 2, 2005,
   7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

   Mark C. Langston

BACKGROUND:

   GOSSiP (Gossip Optimization for Selective Spam Prevention)
   [ http://sufficiently-advanced.net/ ] is a distributed, peer-to-peer
   reputation management system.  It tracks the behavior of e-mail
   senders, and shares senders' reputations among participating mail
   servers.  These reputations may then be used by mail servers as part of
   a comprehensive program to combat unwanted e-mail.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

   Mark C. Langston has been doing systems administration for more than
   10 years.  In that time, he has worked for small groups and huge
   companies.  He has worked in academia and industry, for startups and
   long-established companies, and for salaries ranging from
   below-subsistence to obscene in size.  He's worked his way from the
   most junior of technical employees to Chief Technical Officer and
   corporate board member.  He is on the advisory committee for the Linux
   Professional Institute certification, and is an active member of SAGE
   and USENIX.

WHERE:

   Cisco Building 9 in Cisco's "Vineyards Conference Center".
   This is at Cisco Systems' East Tasman campus in North San Jose.

   Usually we have only half of the conference center so you'll be directed
   right or left once inside to the side where the meeting is.  Directions on
   how to get there are listed at:

     http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

   We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
   have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
   web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:

   If you take transit, be aware that almost everything has changed recently.
   The VTA light rail extension to Alum Rock is open now.  And the
   VTA 180 Express buses from Fremont BART now stop at VTA's Great Mall
   light rail station, making the transit trek from the East Bay easier
   than before.  Other bus routes and schedules have also changed recently.
   SVLUG's transit directions have been updated:

     http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9-transit.shtml

   If you arrive with the peak of the crowd, there may be a small line
   at the sign-in table, where Cisco's security will ask you to sign in.
   (The facility is Cisco's private conference center which is not usually
   available for public meetings.  SVLUG appreciates being given the rare
   privilege to meet here!)

   After the speakers end their presentation there is usually a Q&A session,
   time for job seekers and employers/recruiters to meet, and door prizes if
   any are provided to SVLUG.  When the meeting is over people are encouraged
   to chat a bit, but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
   worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat
   outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

If you just can't get enough, a smaller group usually goes to a local
restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
selection at the meeting.

-bill!
http://www.svlug.org/
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group

_______________________________________________
svlug-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/svlug-announce

-- 
  David Harris, Palo Alto, California.
  GPS location: 37.41988, -122.13388 (1984 World Geodetic Survey system).
  Active account:  [email-masked]
  Phone: 1-650-856-9126 (has answering machine or me)
  Lifetime e-mail forwarding:  [email-masked]
  Postal ("snail mail") address: David Harris
                                 Medintrans
                                 455 Margarita Ave.
                                 Palo Alto, CA  94306-2827