Subject: EarthLink Web Hosting Security Enhancement

From: EarthLink Web Hosting Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 11:23:35 -0700

Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

In order to enhance the security of your Web site, we will be
implementing a configuration change on our Web hosting servers
on June 29th, 2005.

Soon you can choose exactly what content you want your
visitors to see -- and protect your private information from
prying eyes.

*****************
ABOUT THIS CHANGE
*****************
This configuration change will prevent URL trimming, which
allows visitors to remove parts of the URL and access your
private directory folders. After June 29th, 2005, if a visitor
to your site tries to access a private directory, an error
message will be displayed.

**************************************
HOW TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT CONFIGURATION
**************************************
If you wish to continue to make all of your directory folders
visible, just follow these three simple steps:

1. Using a simple text editor like Notepad (Windows) or
TextEdit (Mac), copy and paste the following text into
a text file:

Options Indexes

PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT use Microsoft Word as it creates an
incompatible file format.

2. Save this file with the following filename:

.htaccess

3. Upload this file into your main HTML directory with a FTP
client to ftp-dom.earthlink.net, using your Web site FTP
username and password.

IMPORTANT: If you are using FrontPage extensions to maintain
your Web site, do NOT use these instructions, as doing so will
cause the extensions to break. Instead, use the FrontPage client
interface to enable directory indexes.

*********
NEED HELP?
*********
If you have questions, you can trade real-time messages with a
friendly Live Chat representative:
http://support.earthlink.net/chat

Or email us and get a response that day:
http://support.earthlink.net/email

Sincerely,

EarthLink Web Hosting Support

************************************************************
This is an Administrative Message from EarthLink. It is
not spam. From time to time, EarthLink will send you such
messages in order to communicate important information about
your subscription.
************************************************************