Subject: [Fwd: The topic for the next meeting of the Humanist Roots Group]

From: "David C. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:54:29 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: The topic for the next meeting of the Humanist Roots Group
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:27:50 -0700
From: Richard O. Duda <[email-masked]>
To: Lawrence Bain <[email-masked]>, Leslie-Anne Bain 
<[email-masked]>,Fred Buelow <[email-masked]>, Janet S. Buelow 
<[email-masked]>, Heidi Buelow <[email-masked]>, Laura Coleman 
<[email-masked]>,Bob Dodd <[email-masked]>, Richard O. Duda 
<[email-masked]>,Jean H. Duda <[email-masked]>, David C. Harris 
<[email-masked]>, Lisa Helmonds <[email-masked]>, Arthur 
Jackson <[email-masked]>, Bill Jacobsen <[email-masked]>, Hershey 
Julien <[email-masked]>, Gerry Mack <[email-masked]>, Bernardo 
Malfitano <[email-masked]>, Susan McBain <[email-masked]>, George 
Myers <[email-masked]>,Jack Owicki <[email-masked]>, Susan Owicki 
<[email-masked]>, Sheila Pastore <[email-masked]>, Bryce Perry 
<[email-masked]>,Fran Perry <[email-masked]>, Dennis Ricks 
<[email-masked]>, Sachi Ricks <[email-masked]>, Leonard 
Salle <[email-masked]>, Karen Saltzman <[email-masked]>, Ray 
Schuster <[email-masked]>, Judy Staton <[email-masked]>,Alex Targ 
<[email-masked]>, Hurd Twombly <[email-masked]>, Shlomo Waser 
<[email-masked]>, Dave Weber <[email-masked]>, Edwin and Gisele 
Zebroski <[email-masked]>

Dear Humanist Group Members,

As many of you know, at the next meeting of the UUCPA Humanist Roots Group,
I will be leading a discussion of Alan Dershowitz's recent book entitled
"Rights from Wrongs: A Secular Theory of the Origins of Rights."

Knowing how busy most of us are, I rather suspect that many of you have yet
to find the time to go to the library or to purchase a copy of the book,
let alone to peruse it thoroughly.  If I am right, that means that a number
of you may come to the meeting bearing feelings of guilt.  Even worse, some
of you may be thinking of skipping the event altogether to avoid the hot
shame of public ridicule and humiliation.

To avoid any such outcomes, I have prepared and attached a Reader's Digest
version of the Introduction and the first eight chapters.  Although it is a
rather shabby thing, and a poor substitute for the pleasure of reading the
whole book, it should put you at ease that at least you will know what the
discussion will be about.  And perhaps it will even stimulate you to seek
out the source and to experience the pleasure of reading the real thing.

Enjoy!

-- Dick Duda

-- 
  David Harris, Palo Alto, California.
  GPS location: 37.41988, -122.13388 (1984 World Geodetic Survey system).
  Active account:  [email-masked]
  Phone: 1-650-856-9126 (has answering machine or me)
  Lifetime e-mail forwarding:  [email-masked]
  Postal ("snail mail") address: David Harris
                                 Medintrans
                                 455 Margarita Ave.
                                 Palo Alto, CA  94306-2827