Subject: Clean Elections Bill Vote Delayed

From: "Susan Lerner, CA Clean Money" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

You are receiving this email  because you've 
expressed an interest in Clean Money. To ensure you 
keep receiving our emails, add 
[email-masked] to your address book. If you 
haven't already, click to 
confirm
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/c.jsp?t=1101310945391.10855.1238410322.2&m=1101176124554&wl=F your interest 
in receiving occasional alerts. To no longer
receive our emails, click to unsubscribe
http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101176124554&ea=dharris234%40gmail.com&se=10855&t=1101310945391&lang=en&reason=F.
------------------------------------------------------------

<big>VOTE IN SENATE ELECTIONS COMMITTEE 
DELAYED</big>
<big>FIGHT FOR CLEAN MONEY 
CONTINUES!</big>

Our Clean Money bill (AB 583) was scheduled for a vote in 
the Senate Elections Committee.  Unfortunately, the bill was 
pulled at the last moment.

Senator Gloria Romero (D-Baldwin Park) was reportedly not 
ready to vote for AB 583.  Her vote was critical for the 
message's passage, so Assemblymember Hancock and 
Senate Elections Chair Debra Bowen (D-Marina Del Rey) 
decided to delay the vote to give us more time to work with 
the 
committee and Senate leadership to strengthen the 
bill.

Following the unexpected announcement, over fifty 
Californians who had traveled to Sacramento from all around 
the state to testify in favor of the bill marched over to 
Senate President pro tem Don Perata's office to ask for his 
clarification on the import of the delay, literally staging a 
sit-in until he came out to address them.  Senator Perata 
soon 
after came out and had a cordial discussion with the crowd.  
He once again pledged his support for the measure and for 
public funding of election campaigns.

It is disappointing that Senator Romero is not yet ready to 
vote for AB 583. We are glad to have additional time to 
address her concerns. Clean Money has substantial support in 
diverse communities throughout the state, including among 
Latino communities and groups and we hope that Senator 
Romero will become a leader in supporting this necessary 
campaign innovation which has had positive effects for Latino 
communities and candidates in Arizona.

We are also pleased that Senate President pro tem Perata 
seems to understand how much Clean Money is needed to 
make our democratic system more accessible to ordinary 
citizens and stated his desire to help bring the strongest form 
of Clean Money possible to California. 

We would like to thank all our supporters who along with 
members of Common Cause, League of Women Voters, 
Public Campaign, MoveOn, and other organizations inundated 
Senator Perata’s office with faxes and phone calls this week.    
Senator Perata's fax machine was running literally day and 
night with over 600 faxes sent using our online letter-writing 
tool, and his Sacramento and Oakland offices received 
literally thousands of phone calls.

We also would like to especially thank all the people who 
traveled from across the state for the hearing.  Your 
dedication never ceases to amaze and inspire us.

Finally, let us be clear that AB 583 is still very much alive 
and that the fight to bring Clean Money to California 
continues.  Your collective efforts have brought us to where 
we are today.  Clean Money is emerging on California’s 
political 
horizon, but we will only get there by working together and 
continuing to build grassroots support!

Thanks to all and stay tuned!

Susan Lerner

Executive Director,

California Clean Money Campaign

<style type="text/css">

<!--
body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
body, p,a,table,tr,td,ul,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {	font-
family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }
h3 {font-size:16px}
h4 {font-size:14px}
P,LI{ font-size:12; line-height: 17px; color: 
#000000; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 14px; }
/* font-size:13px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; line-
height:normal} */
li { margin:0px; padding:0px; text-indent:0px }
.articleindex li {
margin-top:4px;
font-weight:bold;
}
.caption {
padding:0px;
margin: 0px 10px 8px 0px;
font-size:10px;
line-height:10px;
}
.style2 {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-
size: 13px; }
-->
</style>

----------------------------------------

<p style="margin-top: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-
size: 16px; margin-bottom: 0px;">California Clean 
Money Campaign
<p style="margin-top: 0px; font-size: 12px;">
Susan Lerner...... Executive Director

Eric Tang......... Communications Coordinator

Aaron Cervantes... Latino Outreach Coordinator

Moira Brennan..... Development Director

Ted Williams...... Chairman

Jo Seidita........ President

Trent Lange....... Vice President &amp; Newsletter 
Editor

Contact us at [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) or at (800) 566-3780
<p style="margin-bottom: 0;">&nbsp;
<p style="margin: 0pt 0px 0px; font-weight: bold; 
margin-top: 0;">TOOLS FOR CHANGE
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" 
bordercolor="#808080" border="1" style="margin-
bottom: 20px;">
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td height="145">

Become a 
member.
www.CAclean
.org/join (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=pd95tvbab.0.zqejoubab.kenmtrbab.10855&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caclean.org%2Fjoin.php)

Become a member by mail or 
phone.&nbsp; Call (800) 566-3780 for questions and 
options.
California Clean Money 
Campaign
11844 W. Pico Blvd., Suite 
200
Los Angeles, CA 90064 

Ask your friends to join too, 
because they care as much as 
you.
www.CAcl
ean.org/tellafriend/ (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=pd95tvbab.0.4ffy9rbab.kenmtrbab.10855&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.CAclean.org%2Ftellafriend%2F)

Learn 
more.
www.CAclean.org (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=pd95tvbab.0.agfy9rbab.kenmtrbab.10855&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.CAclean.org)

            </td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>

----------------------------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact Information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.CAclean.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101176124554&ea=dharris234%40gmail.com&a=1101310945391

This email was sent to [email-masked],
by [email-masked]

Update Profile/Email Address
http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1101176124554&ea=dharris234%40gmail.com&se=10855&t=1101310945391&lang=en&reason=F

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101176124554&ea=dharris234%40gmail.com&se=10855&t=1101310945391&lang=en&reason=F

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Powered by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

California Clean Money Campaign | 11844 W. Pico Blvd., Suite 200 | Los Angeles | CA | 90024