Subject: Red Bank Humanists Celebrate Darwin

From: Ron Steelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:46:34 -0500

Here is the press release I just sent out. I also just registered our 
event on your Darwin Day site.
Regards,
Steelman

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:  Ron Steelman
[email-masked]
732-939-6507
www.redbankhumanists.org
_

_
_Red Bank Humanists Present Darwin Day Speaker_

       (Red Bank, NJ) Red Bank Humanists will celebrate the birthday of 
Charles Darwin at its public Forum on Sunday, February 13, 2005, from 
11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m, presenting guest speaker Avital Pilpel, Ph.D. and 
his talk, "What the Fundamentalists Got Right About Darwin." Red Bank 
Humanists is participating in an international celebration to show 
appreciation for the enormous benefits that scientific knowledge, 
acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has contributed to the 
advancement of humanity. The Forum is free and open to the public and 
will be held at the Red Bank Charter School, 58 Oakland Street in Red Bank.

     Darwin's 200th Birthday, which will occur on February 12, 2009, is 
being celebrated around the world in the years leading to the actual 
event in 2009. Also celebrated on this date will be the 150th 
Anniversary of the publication of his famous book, _On The Origin of 
Species_.
    
     "Evolution, introduced by Charles Darwin, has become the central 
organizing principle for all basic scientific research; particularly in 
biology but also in physics and cosmology. In addition, Darwin himself 
has become an internationally acclaimed figure, whose influence on 
progressive modern thought continues to be both profound and pervasive." 
...from the Darwin Day website www.darwinday.org.

     Guest speaker for the Red Bank Humanists' event, Avital Pilpel, has 
a Ph.D. in Philosophy (specializing in Philosophy of Science) from 
Columbia University, and a B.S. in Mathematics and the Humanities from 
the Hebrew University at Jerusalem. Mr. Pilpel has taught Theory and 
Practice of Science, Metaphysics, Formal Logic and Ancient Philosophy at 
Columbia University. Following his talk will be a question/answer period 
and a general discussion about the topic.
   
     Red Bank Humanists has held monthly meetings since its inception in 
November, 2003, and through its programs, strives to cultivate rational 
inquiry, ethical values and human development. Red Bank Humanists is 
affiliated with New Jersey Humanist Network, American Humanist 
Association,  Center For Inquiry, Institute of Humanist Studies, and the 
Council For Secular Humanism. For more information about Red Bank 
Humanists, see the web site, www.redbankhumanists.org, or email: 
[email-masked].

####