Subject: Re: [pafree] OFFER: 1984 Toyota Van

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:13:30 +0000

Hi Dave,

It appears one can buy a Bosch replacement fuel pump for less than $200 
online.  But I decided to stick with the car I have because (a) the fuel 
pumps in fuel injected engines tend to be located in the fuel tank (to 
keep the temperature constant?), and getting the fuel tank out would be 
a bear with my limited hoists, and (2) because the 84 Toyota van 
apparently is not very common, implying that parts will be harder to 
find.  But I sure was tempted.  I loved having a camping vehicle that I 
could sleep in.

I'll be interested in how the freecycling of a vehicle goes.  I thought 
of giving people the full truth about its condition and also requiring a 
contract that says the transferee will pay for my legal expense if 
anyone sues me for any defects of my repairing as revealed in my 
extensive service notebook.  Then I can give them the full story and the 
notebook without being liable.

Thanks for your time and best wishes in this process,

   - David Harris

[email-masked] wrote:
> David Harris wrote:
>> Hi, DAve!
>>
>> David Harris here, from PCNet days.
> Ah yes, PCNET.  I remember it well - we were going to do the Internet, 
> but Vint Cerf's idea (and design) were much better.
>> I'm considering giving away a '79 Honda Civic with a cracked exhaust 
>> manifold, so I'm interested in this process.  I might be interested in 
>> the van itself.  I used to have a 68 VW camper bus but sold it when I 
>> thought I needed a pickup truck to haul a boat (idea since abandoned 
>> due to poverty induced by the stock collapse in 2001).
>>
>> Does this fuel pump live up in the gas tank, which would have to be 
>> taken out?
> I don't know.  The people who diagnosed it quoted $750 for the repair.  
> The part (the pump) costs $400.
>>   Could I look at the smog report and any records you have?  I 
>> recently got a '88 Toyota Camry but it almost flunked the HC part of 
>> the smog check, and I'm using that as a proxy for general engine wear.
> Yes, if we decide on a transfer deal.
>>
>> If you could hold a bit on choosing the freecycler, I'll do some 
>> Googling for information about these vans.
> I doubt much is going to happen for a few days.  But there is a lot of 
> interest in the van.
> 
> Dave C
> 
> 
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   - David Harris, south Palo Alto
>>
>> [email-masked] wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Slightly less than 200,000 miles; has a bad fuel pump. Interior is
>>> clean, paint job reasonable. A good vehicle for someone who knows
>>> enough about cars to replace the fuel pump.
>>>
>>> __._,_.___
>>
>>
>>
>>
>