Subject: Re: [freecyclemp] Offered: Digital Camera

From: David Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:34:30 +0000

Hi Elizabeth,

I'd like to offer a good home to that camera.  I have a little $40 
camera that takes pictures that are a little blurry.  I'd love to have a 
one with a sharper lens.  I have a good collection of Nickel Metal 
Hydride rechargeable batteries and several chargers, and some nice 
plastic boxes that hold 4 AA cells.

As to the "very good use", I have video editing software on my computer 
and Photoshop limited version for photo color and sharpness adjustment, 
and cropping, etc., so I could get the pictures into the videos as 
background or as an image to narrate.  Sometimes I take pictures at the 
Humanist Community in Palo Alto, which is sort of like a church for 
agnostics.  If I took really sharp pictures, I could send them to the 
Webmaster or editor of the newsletter for public use.  I also will be 
renting rooms in my house and it'd be good to take pictures of the room 
condition for the renter and myself, so we could agree on what the room 
looked like at the time of renting.

Are those "very" good uses?  I wouldn't say that they are very noble or 
artistic.  But they are the truth about how I expect to use whatever 
camera I have.  As a former biochemist and computer programmer I have 
some creative ideas about photography through microscopes to track 
nematodes used in biology research on longevity, but that would be well 
in the future.

Thank you for your consideration,

   - David Harris, working in Redwood City and living in South Palo Alto

Elizabeth wrote:
> Nikon coolpix800. Includes 2 memory cards, case, and probably a card 
> reader and the instructions if I can find them.
> 
> It is like this one: 
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?
> cameras=nikon_cp800&method=sidebyside
> 
> http://www.lonestardigital.com/coolpix800.htm
> 
> This camera is an older model, but takes quite good quality 
> pictures. However, it uses a lot of battery power very quickly. I 
> highly recommend you use it with rechargable NMH batteries. Because 
> it eats batteries so quickly it might not be great for taking on 
> vacation with you, but would be fine for taking pictures around the 
> house, say for selling things on Ebay, or taking picture of your 
> family or of projects you are working on. We used it for years to 
> take pictures of kittens that we fostered and then posted the 
> pictures when we put them up for adoption. It would also be good for 
> a kid's camera for them to play with.
> 
> Priority given to someone who has a very good use for this camera! :)
> 
> 
> 
>