Subject: Important Info About EarthLink Web Hosting Script

From: EarthLink Web Hosting Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:40:36 -0800

Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

Recently, we've noticed that unsolicited commercial email
(i.e., spam) has been sent from some EarthLink Web Hosting
accounts.

This spam can be sent via an open relay vulnerability in the
FormMail.pl cgi script on any site, which means that anyone can
send spam from your site(s) using this script.

If you're using the FormMail.pl on your site(s), we ask that you
disable it immediately to prevent further abuse of the
Earthlink network.

We appreciate your cooperation, and have provided some
alternative scripts below. Please note that they are only
suggestions, and EarthLink does not endorse or require a
particular program for proper form-to-email functionality.

Also, please be aware that you are solely responsible for your
account and the integrity of the scripts used by your site(s).

*******************
ALTERNATIVE SCRIPTS
*******************
There is a collection of scripts, called "nms," that serve as
drop-in replacements for the scripts available at
Matthew Wright's script archive:
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

You can also try the cgiemail program:
http://web.mit.edu/wwwdev/cgiemail/

For more information about known relay vulnerabilities of
Matthew Wright's FormMail.pl script, please visit:
http://www.monkeys.com/formmailer/about.html

**********
NEED HELP?
**********
The complete EarthLink Acceptable Use Policy is available at:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies

If you have questions, you can trade real-time messages with a
friendly Live Chat representative:
http://support.earthlink.net/chat

Or email us and get a response that day:
http://support.earthlink.net/email

Sincerely,

EarthLink Web Hosting Support

************************************************************
This is an Administrative Message from EarthLink. It is
not spam. From time to time, EarthLink will send you such
messages in order to communicate important information about
your subscription.
************************************************************