Subject: Florida VOTES Declaration Delivery

From: Tom Vilsack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:21:25 -0500

Dear David,

We promised to keep the drumbeat going to bring integrity and
fairness to the electoral process.  And we are.

Florida officials have earned their notoriety -- as we all know,
they have run some of the nation's worst elections.

Like voters everywhere, Floridians hold their right to vote dear.
They have experienced firsthand what happens when database
errors, long lines, and faulty voting methods creep into the
election process.

That is why the Florida College Democrats delivered the VOTES
Declaration to Secretary of State Sue Cobb's offices yesterday, to
make sure she can't ignore the reasonable voices of those
Floridians who signed the VOTES Declaration and want a paper
trail in place for the 2006 elections.

You can read more about the delivery in Florida here:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/floridadelivery

In twenty-two states, secretaries of state who control the voting
process are elected.  Not in Florida: there, the secretary of
state serves at the pleasure -- and by the appointment -- of the
governor.

Electing a Democrat as governor in Florida has taken on new
meaning.  Once Floridians determine their nominee on September 5,
we have the opportunity to support a candidate who believes as we
do: that voting is a right, not a privilege.

Who can forget the performance of Katherine Harris in Florida in
2000?  That disaster led to a ballot initiative to give the
governor appointment authority.

The hope of the successful ballot initiative was to insulate the
election process from partisan politics.  Unfortunately, this
good idea has not turned out the way it was hoped.

First Jeb Bush appointed Glenda Hood, who continued her
predecessor's habit of putting party over the public's trust in
clean elections. After Hood left the job, Bush had another
opportunity to restore confidence and integrity to the voting
process by appointing someone with election expertise -- but he
chose Sue Cobb who, with her close GOP ties and total
inexperience at running elections, refuses to implement a paper
trail.

Over the past six weeks we have highlighted the steps we need to
take to secure our right to vote, and worked hard for secretary
of state candidates committed to doing the same.

In Florida we have two opportunities in one campaign. By electing
a Democratic governor we can be confident the next appointment of
secretary of state will bring about the change we all desire:
fair, open and honest elections.

With your help, we will continue beating the drum for these
important
but often overlooked races. Thank you for taking part in the
VOTES Declaration, and believing as we do that voting is a right,
not a privilege.

Best,

Tom Vilsack

P.S.: If you haven't told you friends about our secretary of
state candidates yet, please do it now. You help has been
important to each of the candidates for secretary of state, and
every new supporter will make a difference on Election Day:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/page/invite/SoSCandidates

Addendum: Want to know more? Read what Floridians say about their
recent secretaries of state, appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush:

"Hood got mixed reviews for her performance during last year's
presidential election.  While she brought stability to an office
that had been neglected by former Secretary of State Katherine
Harris, she also made misguided rulings that some viewed as
favorable to Republicans." St. Petersburg Times, November 4,
2005.

Excerpt from a Rep. Wexler press release on Secretary of State
Sue Cobb's refusal to implement a paper trail.

". . . I disagree with your assessment that the power to require
a paper trail rests with the legislature.  The legislature has
already spoken on this issue, requiring a manual recount in the
event of a close election.  Florida's election law is clear on
this issue; the onus is now on your administration to work with
67 counties to ensure compliance."  Rep. Wexler, press release,
February 28, 2006.

--
You recieved this message because you are a member of the Heartland PAC online community. We want the community to work together and hope that you find this message important.

To unsubscribe, go to: http://www.heartlandpac.org/unsubscribe

Paid for by Heartland PAC * http://www.heartlandpac.org

This communication was not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.