Subject: CIO Insider: The New IT at the NYPD

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:42:07 -0500 (EST)

CIO Insider - The scoop on what's happening at CIO.com.

March 2, 2006

The New IT at the NYPD

After spending most of his career in corporate America
at Kraft, General Foods and The Stanley Works, Jim Onalfo
became the first New York Police Department CIO. He tells
CIO magazine how he overhauled the IT department in one of
the nation's most bureaucratic, paramilitary cultures.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10622&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

It wasn't just IT that needed a facelift. The NYPD had
to upgrade its communications lifeline as well.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10623&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. Can a Company Be Prepared for Any Contingency?
2. Promotions at Dow Chemical, Virgin America and More
3. The New Mobile Internet
4. Podcast: Making Office Politics Work for You

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Solidcore

Closing the Change Control Gap: A Solidcore webinar featuring IBM

Change Control is a critical requirement for implementing ITIL/ITSM, and for
meeting compliance requirements, such as Sarbanes-Oxley audits. Solidcore
invites you to a webinar on achieving control over IT change, featuring
IBM's Rick Nelson, Service Area Manager - ITSM, as a speaker. 

This webcast will present a hierarchy of change control requirements and
solutions, including:
* Real-time change visibility 
* Change accountability 
* Change reconciliation 
* Change policy enforcement.  

Register today for this informative webinar!
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10402&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

1. Can a Company Be Prepared for Any Contingency?

Companies like Deutsche Bank were able to bounce back
from disasters like the September 11 attacks because they
planned for the unthinkable. MIT logistics expert Yossi
Sheffi answers questions on how to quickly recover
from any disaster.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10624&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

Read an excerpt from his most recent book, "The Resilient
Enterprise" at CIO.com.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10625&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

2. Promotions at Dow Chemical, Virgin America and More

Dow Chemical promotes its CIO to senior vice president,
the Virgin America startup airline hires its CIO, and
Kodak's CIO moves on to become MeadWestvaco's new
president of global business services. But that's not all.
Meridith Levinson writes with CIO.com's new blog software.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10626&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Azul Systems

In 2006, CIOs are looking to innovate as their
#1 priority. Technological innovation is required to shift
from silo-deployed resources into leveraged datacenter resources
that can be shared across business units.

Join Stephen DeWitt of Azul Systems and featured analyst
Carl Claunch of Gartner, who will offer their views on 
how datacenters are attempting to transform their datacenters
into shared service centers and by doing so, usher in a new
era in computing models and associated economics.

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10543&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

3. The New Mobile Internet

The nonprofit company Inveneo has developed a low-energy,
Linux-based computer that is powered by bicycle and solar
energy. Find out how it's bringing IT to the people.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10628&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

4. Podcast: Making Office Politics Work for You

In the latest three-minute podcast, executive coach John
Baldoni looks at the unsavory topic of office politics
and how to ethically get the upper hand when representing
your work in the office.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=8007&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

This newsletter is your guide to what's happening at CIO.com.
Please feel free to let me know what you want from the
CIO Insider.

Paul Kerstein
Web Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more from CIO Insider? Check out our other
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such
as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

*********************************************************
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*********************************************************

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences,
or to stop getting CIO Insider, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter,
please contact Danielle Tetreault at [email-masked]
on the east coast or Jennell Hicks at [email-masked] on 
the west coast.

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=9030&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=53521027&s=3&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2006. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Joe Nguyen at [email-masked] **