Subject: Schwab Investing Insights : Housing ARMed and Dangerous

From: "Charles Schwab & Co. Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:59:38 -0400

****************************************************************
Schwab Investing Insights(R)
September 21, 2006
****************************************************************

MARKET OUTLOOK
----------------------------------------------------------------
Housing: ARMed and Dangerous

By Liz Ann Sonders 
Chief Investment Strategist 
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. 

This time last year, a hot topic at cocktail parties was how
high real estate prices could still go. Now with evidence of
falling prices dominating not only the financial media
but the general press and even the tabloids, we're more likely
to be drowning our sorrows than clinking our glasses. Although
the debate still rages over whether housing's fall will result
in an economic hard or soft landing, there's no debate about
housing itself. A hard landing it appears to be--and it's not
over yet. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=42&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

TOP STORIES 

Tech: Time to Get Picky 

Why tech isn't synonymous with growth--in earnings or your
portfolio. Learn how to spot potential winners. See our buy/sell
ideas, and get a close-up look at the strikingly different
performance of two pairs of tech titans: Yahoo! vs. Google and
HP vs. Dell. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=45&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

* * * 

Beware of Target Prices 

Wall Street loves them. Learn why we think they're somewhere
between useless and dangerous. Plus, a better way to determine
which stocks to buy and sell. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=64&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

* * * 

Golden Age for CDs 

With yields high and a surge of new offerings, it's a shopper's
market. But the plethora of choices can be confusing. Learn the
difference between bank and brokerage CDs, and what's right for
you. Also inside: fixed income and fund alternatives to
consider. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=84&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

* * * 

Watch Out for Fund Expenses 

Learn what you're paying for--and when it's worth the price. The
answer varies by expense type and fund category. Plus, nine
top-performing, low-expense funds covering a wide range of
investments. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=44&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

* * * 

Cloud Lifted Over 529s 

Thanks to the new Pension Protection Act, qualified education
withdrawals from these state-sponsored college savings plans are
now tax-free as far as the eye can see. Financial aid
implications to consider as well. More:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=47&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

================================================================
To unsubscribe, please visit:
http://cs.schwab.com/s/r?l=40&m=nl09211359380bncqb78m4rggb4sfqzvnlk92hfn

Notice: All email sent to or from the Charles Schwab corporate
email system may be retained, monitored and/or reviewed by
Schwab personnel.

(C)2006 Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. All rights reserved. 
Member SIPC. FTA 02312 (0906-6019) EML35606A (09/06)
http://www.sipc.org