Subject: What we've accomplished

From: Tom Vilsack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:55:36 -0400

Dear David,

Fifteen months ago, when we started, we knew the election
this November would be one of the most important of our
lifetimes.  Since then, demand for the average voter's
attention, particularly online, has grown each day to an
unmitigated roar.  Yet Heartland PAC has risen above the
noise to accomplish some pretty remarkable things.

As I write today, you and I are part of an online community
that has reached thousands of people.  Along the way, we've
fostered a conversation that knows no borders and has solicited
honest and unconstrained input about some of our country's
most pressing issues.

In the fall of 2005 we began an education discussion by
connecting teachers, students, parents, community leaders
and experts.  I knew we were on to something, watching
participants take others' ideas and expand on them to reach
a meaningful consensus.  But we didn't stop there; the
community debated the best "products" from the process,
which were delivered to Democratic governors and candidates.
And to prove the model worked, we did it again on a new
subject: health care.

You can browse through the archives of our discussions here:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/discussion

Our next project was much simpler in concept, but quite
ambitious in execution.  We challenged Democrats to define,
in ten words or less, our Party.  Language is critically
important to campaign messaging, but regular voters are
usually left out of the process until they are pulled into
focus groups at the end.  We wondered whether an internet
program could turn the process on its head and actually get
grassroots Democrats to brainstorm up front.

The answer was a resounding yes.  Through a specialized
website, OurTenWords.com, we received over six thousand
entries that come from every state. The quality of submissions and
the range of values covered shattered my expectations -- and
once again, each incumbent governor and candidate received
the top ten submissions, as decided by a community vote.

You can see all of the submissions here:

http://www.ourtenwords.com

More recently, we have shifted from collaborative language
development to a more specific focus: election reform --
with a twist.

In 2006, there are twenty-two elections for secretaries
of state where the winner will go on to serve as the 
state's chief election official.  Too often voters overlook 
these critical races.  That's where we came in.

A few weeks ago, Heartland PAC launched our "VOTES"
Declaration, calling for Verifiable, Objective, Tough on
intimidation and fraud, Equal and Secure elections.  The
Declaration has met tremendous success, gathering over
10,000 signatures and raising the profile of this incredibly
important issue.  On top of that, we earned media coverage
in Florida and Ohio, the two states considered at the
center of the storm.  Last week another hand delivery in
Denver also garnered media attention.

You can read a story about the deliveries in Florida,
Colorado, and Ohio here:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/deliveries

Heartland PAC endorsed four secretary of state candidates: 
Iowa's Michael Mauro, Ohio's Jennifer Brunner, Colorado's
Ken Gordon, and Nevada's Ross Miller.  Those endorsements
included promoting these candidates to our own online
community and at other sites such as DailyKos.com.  I'm
pleased to say that all report marked increases in
contributions and interest.

And Heartland PAC has given direct support as well: more
than $577,000 to candidates up and down the ballot, state
parties, and legislative caucuses.  In addition, Christie and
I have had the pleasure of appearing at various events and
raising more than an estimated one million dollars in
support of Democrats in Iowa, Florida, South Carolina,
California, Missouri, Wyoming and New Hampshire.  
Last week I traveled to Michigan to support Governor 
Granholm and the state Senate caucus. In August I will be 
busy with travel to, with travel to Ohio, Alabama, Georgia, 
South Carolina, Maine, Tennesee and Rhode Island to support our 
candidates and state parties.

Even with all this travel and national success, Iowa remains
a major focus for Christie and me.  As the first Democrat
elected governor in 30 years, I am proud of the progress our
state has made in my two terms, and we will do whatever it
takes to keep the momentum moving forward.

Iowa is blessed with a tremendous nominee for governor, Chet
Culver.  I'm committed to doing everything I can to support
him, including a direct contribution from Heartland PAC of
$100,000.

In 2004, we came close to taking control of the Iowa
legislature.  I am determined to finish the job in 2006 and
give Chet Culver what I never had: a Democratic legislature.

We have an aggressive plan to support one hundred
legislative candidates who will protect job gains, provide
affordable health care, and continue to provide quality
education to all of Iowa's citizens.

None of this would be possible without your support. 
Christie and I send our most sincere thanks for all you have
done to make Heartland PAC such a great success.

Best,

Tom Vilsack

PS:  We don't like to ask too often, but with Election Day
looming please consider making a contribution to help 
us continue to support these critical races:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/contribute

--
You recieved this message because you are a member of the Heartland PAC online community. We want the community to work together and hope that you find this message important.

To unsubscribe, go to: http://www.heartlandpac.org/unsubscribe

Paid for by Heartland PAC * http://www.heartlandpac.org

This communication was not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.