Subject: Conference Highlights at LinuxWorld

From: "LinuxWorld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:32:18 -0700

****************************************
This eNewsletter is sponsored by PalmSource
 Interested in creating mobile Linux applications? Join
PalmSource Developer Day for an overview of the ACCESS Linux
Platform (ALP) and three technical hands-on sessions on
Wednesday, August 16, starting at 10:15 a.m in room 132.
Admission is included in full conference package, or purchase a
PalmSource Developer Day ticket separately for $95 Register at:
www.palmsource.com/developers/devday.html
*****************************************

Dear DAVID HARRIS,

This year, the LinuxWorld Conference Program is the best it's
ever been. Attendees can immerse themselves in hundreds of hours
of technical sessions, hands-on-labs, tutorials and a number of
special events kicking off this Monday.

We look forward to seeing you at anyone of these exciting
events! For more information, visit
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/sf.

"Free" as in Beer Bash Sponsored by PalmSource
----------------------------------------------
Tuesday, August 15 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Jillian's at the Metreon

Come party with the LinuxWorld crew as we celebrate 15 years of
Linux. As the name suggests, beverages will be served along with
appetizers as conference attendees, speakers, and members of the
media mix and mingle with fellow LinuxWorld friends. 

*This event is open to conference attendees, speakers and
members of the media only. 
**You must be 21 years or older to enter the Beer Bash.

Healthcare Day
--------------
Tuesday, August 15 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Room 310

Learn from industry peers about the issues and driving forces
behind the growing use of open solutions throughout healthcare.
OSDL has created a compelling program that will provide
essential information on how Open Source Software and Open
Standards are being developed and deployed by innovators
throughout the healthcare industry.

Novell Best of Brainshare
-------------------------
Tuesday, August 15 & Wednesday, August 16 from 10:15 a.m. to
3:45 p.m.

Experience the Best of Novell BrainShare while attending
LinuxWorld. Popular speakers presenting top-tier technical
sessions that will expand your knowledge and increase your net
worth - it doesn't get much better than that!

PalmSource Developer Day
------------------------
Wednesday, August 16 from 10:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

This track is for Linux Application Developers who are
interested in taking their applications mobile! Get an overview
of the components of the new leading platform for mobile
devices--the ACCESS Linux Platform (ALP). If you are a Linux
Application Developer, this track gives you early access and
hands-on experience building applications for this new platform.

OSDL Kernel Sessions 
--------------------
Thursday, August 17 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Room 310

See renowned Linux kernel engineers such as Greg Kroah-Hartman
explain the kernel development process, how you can contribute,
and what it takes to submit new device drivers into the machine
kernel. 

Birds-of-a-Feather Meetings
---------------------------
Tuesday, August 15 & Wednesday, August 16 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00
p.m.
See the Show Guide Addendum for complete schedule.

Birds-of-a-Feather meetings are casual, informal discussions
where attendees can meet like-minded Linux users. These meetings
are open to ALL registered attendees. Come network with your
peers, discuss resources for doing your job, get answers to
tough questions and hear about the latest developments in the
Linux community.

Linux Certification Testing
---------------------------
Tuesday, August 15 through Thursday, August 17 at 1:00 p.m.
Room 111

Linux Professional Institute (LPI) will be offering the LPI 101
Exam at a 50% discount to Linux World exhibitors and exhibit
only attendees at the discounted price of $75 per exam.  All
Linux World Conference delegates can take the exam at no charge.

Please visit the LPI website  Http://www.lpi.org  to obtain your
LPI ID prior to the show.  Please bring your ID and photo ID to
the show.

Conference Kickoff
------------------
Monday, August 14 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Room 310
Nat Friedman, VP of Desktop Development, Novell

In this talk, Friedman will demonstrate the latest functionality
in the Linux desktop. Included will be accelerated desktop
effects via Xgl and compiz, desktop search through Beagle, the
F-Spot photo manager, the Banshee audio player, Microsoft VBA
macro support in OpenOffice, live document thumbnailing,
Evolution 2.6, support for many different multimedia formats,
and more.
 
Golden Penguin Bowl
-------------------
Tuesday, August 15 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Room 134

Three geeks from SUSE will line up against three nerds from
ubuntu and match intellectual wits in this battle over who can
recall the most inane trivia regarding sci-fi, high-tech, Linux,
and all things geek. Yes, the Golden Penguin Bowl is back in San
Francisco! Always irreverent and massively entertaining, watch
Jeremy Allison make fools of the contestants, the audience,
(in)famous companies, and - most importantly - himself. The
winners garner the coveted golden penguin.

Celebrating 20 years of Linux (15 + 5)
--------------------------------------
Wednesday, August 16 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. 
Room 134 
Moderator: Larry Augustin Panelists: Eric Raymond; Jon maddog
Hall, Linux International; Chris DiBona, Google, Inc., Dirk
Hohndel, Intel

I know what you're thinking - Linux has only been around for 15
years, so how did we come up with the title "Celebrating 20
Years of Linux"? Not only will this panel explore the past 15
years and discuss how and why Linux became the success that it
is, but they'll also look 5 years into the future to gauge where
Linux will go.

OPENMOTO
--------
Tuesday, August 15 from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
MOTOLOUNGE Booth #1116

Motorola invites LinuxWorld attendees to a special reception to
meet their panel of mobile Linux experts.  Join us to learn how
you can participate in building the mobile Linux ecosystem and
driving  the next generation of mobile solutions.   The group
will include key architects, executives and developers involved
in creating Motorola's mobile platform and establishing a new,
open-source-driven model for software innovation.

The Oracle on Linux Experience
------------------------------
Wednesday, August 16 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 

You're invited to the Oracle on Linux Experience, a special,
two-hour hands-on tutorial event showcasing how Oracle makes
developing and deploying on Linux fast and easy; attendees will
receive free Oracle, PHP, and Linux software.

This message was intended for [email-masked]
We want to provide you with the most relevant information.

Click below to do the following:
* Change your email preferences
* Update your information
* Opt-out from our email programs

http://emessaging.vertexcommunication.com/phase2/survey1/survey.htm?CID=wjvfou&action=update&eemail=[email-masked]
IDG World Expo, 3 Speen Street, Framingham, MA 01701
800-657-1474

----Powered by Vertex Communications----
http://www.vertexcommunication.com/contact.htm