Subject: Nature Biotechnology Contents: August 2006 Volume 24 pp. 869 - 1038

From: "Nature Biotechnology"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:59:40 -0400 (EDT)

| | NATURE.COM | | [email-masked] | | NATUREJOBS | | NATUREEVENTS | | ABOUT NPG |

|

SEARCH | | |

August 2006, Volume 24 No 8

| In This Issue

| Focus

| Editorials

| News: In Brief | Data Page | News Feature

| Bioentrepreneur: Building a business

| Opinion and Comment: Correspondence | Commentary | Investor's Lab

| Features: Patents

| News and Views

| Computational Biology: Primer | Analysis

| Research: Perspective | Review | Articles | Letters

| Corrigenda

| Naturejobs: Careers and Recruitment | People

ADVERTISEMENT

This alert is supported by
Bio-rad

Dig deeper. The MicroRotofor cell is a liquid-phase IEF device that fractionates complex protein samples by pI, facilitating enrichment of low-abundance proteins for many downstream proteomics applications, such as 2-DGE and LC-MS/MS. It’s simple to use and processes small volumes (~2.5 ml).

NATURE BULLETINS: BIOPHARMA
NEW from NPG: Sorted and encapsulated by expert editors for fast and balanced coverage of the most important stories in biopharma each week. This free weekly newsletter will keep you up-to-date with the latest science and business news, jobs and events.
Register today for your FREE subscription to Nature Bulletins: Biopharma

Call for Papers
Creating and Managing the Biotechnology Venture
October 12, 2006, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

This conference will be the first to bring together rigorous academic analyses to gain insights into the emerging area of biotechnology management and entrepreneurship.
Currently soliciting empirical and theoretical papers addressing the theme of the conference.
Submission deadline: September 1, 2006
Sponsored by the Lally School of Management & Technology and the Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in collaboration with Nature Biotechnology.
Click here for more information.

In This Issue

Top

PDF

Focus

Top

Focus on Diagnostics
Clinical diagnostics is a downstream application of a significant fraction of technologies published in Nature Biotechnology. This focus provides an overview of the progress in biomarker discovery and validation and an assessment of the scientific, business, regulatory, intellectual property, technology transfer and logistical challenges in accelerating their integration into diagnostic tests for use in guiding treatment selection and dosage.

Editorials

Top

Lost in validation p869

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-869

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Not for the chicken-hearted p870

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-870

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

News

Top

Bundling next-generation cancer therapies for synergy pp871 - 872

Jim Kling

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-871

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

A reprise for collaborative financing in biotech pp873 - 874

John Ransom

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-873

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Tysabri back on market p874

Cormac Sheridan

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-874

Full Text | PDF

Alfimeprase to succeed Genentech's alteplase? pp875 - 876

Brian Vastag

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-875

Full Text | PDF

Belated approval of first recombinant protein from animal p877

Charlie Schmidt

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-877

Full Text | PDF

In Brief

News In Brief pp879 - 880

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-879

Full Text | PDF

Profile: Una Ryan p881

Charlie Schmidt

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-881

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Data Page

Biotech financing retrenches in Q2 p883

Stacy Lawrence

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-883

Full Text | PDF

Diagnostics investors think positive p884

Stacy Lawrence

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-884

Full Text | PDF

News Feature

Looking for solid ground along the Critical Path pp885 - 887

Mark Ratner

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-885

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Genetic profiteering pp888 - 890

Laura De Francesco

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-888

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Moving diagnostics from the bench to the bedside pp891 - 893

Jim Kling

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-891

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Bioentrepreneur

Top

Building a business

Power dating: a guide to VC courtship pp895 - 897

Karen Boezi, Elliot Parks, Laura Shawver, Scott Salka & Chris Erlich

doi:10.1038/bioent909

PDF

Opinion and Comment

Top

Correspondence

Should we make a fuss? p899

Jan A. Witkowski

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-899a

Full Text | PDF

Should we make a fuss? pp899 - 900

Henry I. Miller & Gregory Conko

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-899b

Full Text | PDF

Export signals pp900 - 901

Peter Gal, Barbara Vegh, Peter Zavodszky & Ferenc Vonderviszt

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-900

Full Text | PDF

Reply to Export signals pp901 - 902

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-901

Full Text | PDF

Protein annotation by EBIMed pp902 - 903

Dietrich Rebholz-Schuhmann, Harald Kirsch, Miguel Arregui, Sylvain Gaudan, Mark Rynbeek & Peter Stoehr

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-902

Full Text | PDF

Commentary

Cancer biomarkers: a systems approach pp905 - 908

Lee Hartwell, David Mankoff, Amanda Paulovich, Scott Ramsey & Elizabeth Swisher

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-905

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Translating in vivo diagnostics into clinical reality pp909 - 913

John V Frangioni

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-909

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

What brown cannot do for you pp914 - 916

David L Rimm

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-914

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Three barriers to innovative diagnostics pp917 - 918

Paul R Billings

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-917

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Partnering for better microbial diagnostics pp919 - 921

Mark D Perkins & Peter M Small

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-919

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

A change in the market - investing in diagnostics pp922 - 926

Keith Batchelder & Peter Miller

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-922

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

A regulatory perspective on in vitro diagnostics pp927 - 929

Scott Gottlieb & Janet Woodcock

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-927

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Investor's Lab

Any diamonds in the diagnostic coal? p930

Tom Jacobs

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-930

Full Text | PDF

Features

Top

New-wave diagnostics pp931 - 938

Monya Baker

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-931

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Patents

Emerging patent issues in genomic diagnostics pp939 - 941

John H Barton

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-939

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Shifting emphasis from pharmacogenomics to theragnostics pp942 - 946

Vural Ozdemir, Bryn Williams-Jones, Stephen J Glatt, Ming T Tsuang, James B Lohr & Christopher Reist

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-942

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Recent patent applications in microarrays p947

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-947

Full Text | PDF

News and Views

Top

AAV hits the genomic bull's-eye pp949 - 950

John F Engelhardt

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-949

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: Research by Miller et al.

All in the RNA family pp951 - 952

Beverly L Davidson

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-951

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: Research by McNamara et al.

Blueprint of an oil-eating bacterium pp952 - 953

Victor de Lorenzo

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-952

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: Research by Schneiker et al.

Specificity by design pp954 - 955

Carl O Pabo

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-954

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Transgenesis sunny-side up pp955 - 956

Helen Sang

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-955

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Research Highlights p957

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-957

Full Text | PDF

Computational Biology

Top

Primer

How does DNA sequence motif discovery work? pp959 - 961

Patrik D'haeseleer

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-959

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Analysis

High-resolution computational models of genome binding events pp963 - 970

Yuan Qi, Alex Rolfe, Kenzie D MacIsaac, Georg K Gerber, Dmitry Pokholok, Julia Zeitlinger, Timothy Danford, Robin D Dowell, Ernest Fraenkel, Tommi S Jaakkola, Richard A Young & David K Gifford

doi:10.1038/nbt1233

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Research

Top

Perspective

Protein biomarker discovery and validation: the long and uncertain path to clinical utility pp971 - 983

Nader Rifai, Michael A Gillette & Steven A Carr

doi:10.1038/nbt1235

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Review

The role of companion diagnostics in the development and use of mutation-targeted cancer therapies pp985 - 995

Nickolas Papadopoulos, Kenneth W Kinzler & Bert Vogelstein

doi:10.1038/nbt1234

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Articles

Genome sequence of the ubiquitous hydrocarbon-degrading marine bacterium Alcanivorax borkumensis  pp997 - 1004

Susanne Schneiker, Vitor AP Martins dos Santos, Daniela Bartels, Thomas Bekel, Martina Brecht, Jens Buhrmester, Tatyana N Chernikova, Renata Denaro, Manuel Ferrer, Christoph Gertler, Alexander Goesmann, Olga V Golyshina, Filip Kaminski, Amit N Khachane, Siegmund Lang, Burkhard Linke, Alice C McHardy, Folker Meyer, Taras Nechitaylo, Alfred Puhler, Daniela Regenhardt, Oliver Rupp, Julia S Sabirova, Werner Selbitschka, Michail M Yakimov, Kenneth N Timmis, Frank-Jorg Vorholter, Stefan Weidner, Olaf Kaiser & Peter N Golyshin

doi:10.1038/nbt1232

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: News and Views by de Lorenzo

Cell type-specific delivery of siRNAs with aptamer-siRNA chimeras pp1005 - 1015

James O McNamara, Eran R Andrechek, Yong Wang, Kristi D Viles, Rachel E Rempel, Eli Gilboa, Bruce A Sullenger & Paloma H Giangrande

doi:10.1038/nbt1223

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: News and Views by Davidson

Letters

Stem cell-derived erythroid cells mediate long-term systemic protein delivery pp1017 - 1021

Alex H Chang, Matthias T Stephan & Michel Sadelain

doi:10.1038/nbt1227

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Gene targeting in vivo by adeno-associated virus vectors pp1022 - 1026

Daniel G Miller, Pei-Rong Wang, Lisa M Petek, Roli K Hirata, Mark S Sands & David W Russell

doi:10.1038/nbt1231

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

See also: News and Views by Engelhardt

Combinatorial engineering of intergenic regions in operons tunes expression of multiple genes pp1027 - 1032

Brian F Pfleger, Douglas J Pitera, Christina D Smolke & Jay D Keasling

doi:10.1038/nbt1226

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

Corrigenda

Top

Corrigendum: ORFeome cloning and global analysis of protein localization in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe  p1033

Akihisa Matsuyama, Ritsuko Arai, Yoko Yashiroda, Atsuko Shirai, Ayako Kamata, Shigeko Sekido, Yumiko Kobayashi, Atsushi Hashimoto, Makiko Hamamoto, Yasushi Hiraoka, Sueharu Horinouchi & Minoru Yoshida

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1033a

Full Text | PDF

Corrigendum: Drugging the PI3 kinome p1033

Paul Workman, Paul A Clarke, Sandrine Guillard & Florence I Raynaud

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1033b

Full Text | PDF

Corrigendum: Dual selection enhances the signaling specificity of a variant of the quorum-sensing transcriptional activator LuxR p1033

Cynthia H Collins, Jared R Leadbetter & Frances H Arnold

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1033c

Full Text | PDF

Corrigendum: Insights into US public biotech sector using patenting trends p1033

Saurabh Aggarwal, Vinay Gupta & Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1033d

Full Text | PDF

Corrigendum: Design of a genome-wide siRNA library using an artificial neural network p1033

Dieter Huesken, Joerg Lange, Craig Mickanin, Jan Weiler, Fred Asselbergs, Justin Warner, Brian Meloon, Sharon Engel, Avi Rosenberg, Dalia Cohen, Mark Labow, Mischa Reinhardt, Francois Natt & Jonathan Hall

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1033e

Full Text | PDF

Naturejobs

Top

Careers and Recruitment

The science-business tango pp1035 - 1036

Mari Paul

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1035

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

People

People p1038

doi:10.1038/nbt0806-1038

Full Text | PDF

Top

Natureconferences
Unique events committed to scientific excellence
For more information and a list of upcoming Natureconferences visit: www.nature.com/conferences/index.html

ADVERTISEMENT

| |

| | Early Development Team Leader | | Biotechnology|Cancer Research / Oncology|Development|Drug Discovery| | | Genentech, Inc. | | South San Francisco, CA 94080 |
| | |
| Postdoctoral Positions | | Bioinformatics|Genomics|Gene Therapy|Genetics|Chemistry|Cell Biology| | | University of Virginia | | Charlottesville, VA
| | |
| DIRECTOR/ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR*, DISCOVERY TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE | | | | Wyeth Pharmaceuticals | | Collegeville, PA 19426
| | |
| Postdoctoral Researcher | | Molecular Biology|Cell Biology|Evolution|Bioinformatics|Biological Sciences| | | Sars International Centre | | Bergen, Norway
| | |
| Head of Department of Biology | | Biological Sciences|Biochemistry|Medicinal & Pharm. Chem.|Life Sciences|Education| | | Hong Kong University of Science and Technology | | Hong Kong, China
| | |
| Medical Writer | | Medical Sciences|Life Sciences|Medicinal & Pharm. Chem.|Biological Sciences|Pharmacology| | | Accovion | | Eschborn, Germany 65760
| | |

More Naturejobs

| |
| | | | | |

| |

| |

More Nature Products

More Nature Events

| |

Please note that you need to be a subscriber or site-licence holder to enjoy full-text access to Nature Biotechnology. To purchase a subscription, please visit secure.nature.com/subscribe/nbt

You have been sent this Table of Contents Alert because you have opted in to receive it. You can change or discontinue your e-mail alerts at any time, by modifying your preferences on your nature.com account at: www.nature.com/myaccount
(You will need to log in to be recognised as a nature.com registrant)

For further technical assistance, please contact our registration department

For print subscription enquiries, please contact our subscription department

For other enquiries, please contact our customer feedback department

Nature Publishing Group | 75 Varick Street, 9th Floor | New York | NY 10013-1917 | USA

Nature Publishing Group's worldwide offices:
London - Paris - Munich - New Delhi - Tokyo - Melbourne
San Diego - San Francisco - Washington - New York - Boston

© 2005 Nature Publishing Group