Subject: CIO Insider: Why Uncle Sam Wants SCM from You

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 04:39:02 -0500 (EST)

CIO Insider - The scoop on what's happening at CIO.com.

February 28, 2006

Why Uncle Sam Wants SCM from You
Still a voluntary initiative, the Feds are hoping that
organizations will secure their own supply chains with
the C-TPAT program. But in the wake of some U.S. port
operations possibly going to a United Arab Emirates-based
company, it may not remain that way for long. What can you do?
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10524&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

Also in this issue of the Insider:
1. The Hidden Costs in Offshoring
2. Can Vendors Control Open Source?
3. IT Helps Rebuild New Orleans
4. Last Call for CIO 100 Awards Entries

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by Avaya

Virtual Technology Summit 2006 - What's Possible. 

Gain new insights into IP Telephony, make new connections,
and see What's Possible for your business at the Virtual
Technology Summit live March 9th 2006. 

Attend this online summit and discover the value of using
fully connected business communications applications linking
people, information and networks to deliver you competitive
advantage. 

Register now for the Virtual Technology Summit

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10533&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

1. The Hidden Costs in Offshoring
Cheap materials and labor seemed like a no-brainer for
companies outsourcing to India and China. But savings
often comes with risk, and this time, the price revolves
around compliance. CIO's David Rosenbaum explains why.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10526&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

2. Can Vendors Control Open Source?
Who stands to reap the monetary awards while controlling
open source software? Christopher Koch seems to think that
CIOs, acting like venture capitalists, could be the ones
to benefit the most. What do you think?
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=1181&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

Closing Open-Source Patent Loopholes
The Free Software Foundation released a draft version
of its new general public software license, but it's
creating quite a stir with its patent provision.
Find out why.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10527&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

-------------------------SPONSOR------------------------
This section of the CIO Insider is sponsored by G3 - Sybase/Intel/HP

New Webcast: Putting Data to Work

As the amount of data threatens to overwhelm enterprises,
the pressure to use that information for competitive advantage
grows. CXO Editor Tom Field talks to industry experts from
Sybase, Intel and HP on how companies can get started turning
the data explosion into valuable business intelligence. Once
data processes are aligned with business goals, decision-makers
from C-level executives to line-of-business managers are armed
with real-time analytic information. From both a tactical and
strategic point of view, they're much better equipped to do
business smarter, and profitably. Click here to view:

http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10503&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1
--------------------------------------------------------

3. IT Helps Rebuild New Orleans
Often thought of as a cold, heartless data analysis tool,
officials are now using technology to plan the rebuilding
of New Orleans. And they're using it to do the most
amazing thing - asking the residents what they want.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10528&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

4. Last Call for CIO 100 Awards Entries
Today is the last day to get your applications in for
the CIO 100 Awards. For more information, go here:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10529&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

Applications must be submitted online. Click here to
send in your nomination:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10530&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

This newsletter is your guide to what's happening at CIO.com.
Please feel free to let me know what you want from the
CIO Insider.

Paul Kerstein
Web Editor
CXO Media
[email-masked]

Want more from CIO Insider? Check out our other
newsletters for up-to-date information on topics such
as leadership, enterprise technology, research and more.
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Services from CIO.com-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

CIO Executive Council

Viejas Enterprises opens its doors to CIOs for a special event.

Part of a fast-growing $20 billion industry, Viejas
Enterprises' casino opens its doors to qualified CIOs
on March 10 in Alpine, CA.  As a guest of Viejas' CIO,
you will experience a behind-the-scenes look at mission
critical systems that run the casino floor. Tour the
security infrastructure (no cameras allowed), and hear
from the CIO, CFO and CSO on high-availability systems,
real-time transaction processing, information and physical
security operations including digital fingerprinting and
biometric face recognition.

To request more information on this event, please visit: 
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=10425&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

*********************************************************
SUBSCRIBER SERVICES
*********************************************************

You are receiving this issue of CIO Insider because
either you are a subscriber to our print publication,
or you have subscribed electronically to this newsletter.

If you would like to edit your newsletter preferences,
or to stop getting CIO Insider, please go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

Did you get the CIO Insider from a friend? Want it sent
directly to you? Go to:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=4648&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

If you are interested in advertising in this newsletter,
please contact Danielle Tetreault at [email-masked]
on the east coast or Jennell Hicks at [email-masked] on 
the west coast.

Want to get CIO magazine?
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=9030&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

CIO.com's online privacy policy is at:
http://www.cio.com/go/index.html?ID=223&PMID=53051306&s=4&f=1

Copyright CXO Media Inc., 1994-2006. All rights are reserved.

CXO Media Inc. is located at 492 Old Connecticut Path,
PO Box 9208, Framingham, Mass. 01701

**Please do not reply to this message. If you want to contact
someone directly, send e-mail to Joe Nguyen at [email-masked] **