Subject: It Isn't Easy

From: Tom Vilsack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 17:21:53 -0400

Dear David,

Those of us who fight for labor encounter this putdown all
too often: "If workers really wanted to join unions, they
would."

Well, over the Labor Day weekend, Tula Connell at the
AFL-CIO website deftly made a key point: it isn't easy to
start a union anymore. Hard-working Americans face too many
hurdles, too much of the time. For employees to have a
choice at all, we need to update our outdated labor laws,
written in the 1930s, for the 21st century.

That is why I am proud that the Democratic Leadership
Council came together today with the nation's top labor
leaders to endorse the common-sense reforms of the  Employee
Free Choice Act. We spoke with one voice to protect a
worker's right to choose to join a union without fear or
intimidation.

But our voices cannot be alone. To get the handful of votes
we need in Congress to pass this bill, we need to hear from
working families loud and clear.

Join us in supporting the Employee Free Choice Act:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/efca

With the Employee Free Choice Act, Americans can reap the
benefit of a simple but powerful reform to strengthen their
power to earn a living. This legislation would:

- Empower employees to form unions by signing cards that ask
for union      representation - Set up mediation and
arbitration for first-contract disputes - Enact stronger
penalties for violating employee rights

These basic, fair changes have deep popular support --
because people realize how updating our labor laws can bring
the benefits of a union job to millions who struggle to
support their families.

Republicans have waged a long campaign to weaken labor laws 
-- and over time have succeeded in eroding some basic worker
protections. America's workers deserve better than a
hodgepodge of laws; they deserve modern legislation that
protects their rights. That is why members of Congress from
both parties have embraced the Employee Free Choice Act.
Will you join us?

http://www.heartlandpac.org/efca

It is vital that we strengthen America's position as the
strongest economy in the world, by generating prosperity for
all Americans. The Employee Free Choice Act is among the
most important steps toward reclaiming the prosperity we
shared in the 1990s - and keeping our communities from
falling behind.

We must present a united front to show Congress that they
need to pass these reforms now.  That  is why expressing
your support today is so important.

Please join us and support the Employee Free Choice Act:

http://www.heartlandpac.org/efca

Thank you for supporting EFCA today - and lending your voice
to this vital legislation for America's working families.

Best,

Tom Vilsack

--
You recieved this message because you are a member of the Heartland PAC online community. We want the community to work together and hope that you find this message important.

To unsubscribe, go to: http://www.heartlandpac.org/unsubscribe

Paid for by Heartland PAC * http://www.heartlandpac.org

This communication was not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.