Subject: listings for Darwin Day

From: Louise Krasniewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:59:19 -0500

I am one of the organizers of the Darwin Day activities at the  
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. I  
found it a bit disconcerting that the listing of Darwin Day  
activities on your website was dominated by the religious sermons  
know as "Evolution Sunday." Perhaps these can be put on a separate  
page because they really flood the listing with an anti-evolution  
message and make it hard to find anything that is not part of their  
sermon series.

Louise Krasniewicz, PhD
Senior Research Scientist
Penn Museum
University of Pennsylvania
[email-masked]

---

From: Louise Krasniewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:32:13 -0500

Hi Info Person
I'm sorry I wasn't clear about what I wanted to say. I'm glad the 
sermons are taking place. It just appeared to me  (and I have been on 
your website many times) that the sermons were the dominant form of 
celebration and this might take away from the other types of 
non-religious activities going on.  Sorry if this seemed critical. We 
decided to do Darwin Day because of your website so we really do 
appreciate what you are doing.

Louise Krasniewicz

>Dear Louise,
>
>No, the amazing reality is that these sermons are NOT 
>ANTI-EVOLUTION. In fact they are supposed to be on the topic of 
>science and religion, and how science including evolution is 
>COMPATIBLE with their religious views.  These are from over 10,000 
>clergy who signed a letter saying that, contrary to the 
>fundamentalists, a person of faith does NOT have to choose between 
>God and evolution.  Their endorsement of this idea helps free 
>America from the undue influence of the fundamentalists, and having 
>a lot of religious support makes it more acceptable for most 
>Americans to teach and learn about evolution and other real science. 
>And it's a way for people at the margin to move a little farther our 
>direction.
>
>Happy Darwin Day,
>
>   - Info Person at DarwinDay.org
>
>
>
>Louise Krasniewicz wrote:
>>University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. 
>>I found it a bit disconcerting that the listing of Darwin Day