Subject: Need to make changes in "event" postings

From: "Anthony Sebastian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:06:34 -0800

Hello,

In December, I registered for a Darwin Celebration event, a private “Dinner
with Darwin”, with a group of friends who highly respect Darwin.  At the
time, we had no agenda.

Today, I wanted to update our event “activities”, but discovered the website
did not allow editing of my December post.  So I prepared another,
re-registering.  However, this time in my haste, I failed to indicate the
event as “private”.  It now reads “public”, which I wish to change, to
forestall the public from descending on my private residence.  Could you
please:

1.	arrange to have my earlier event posting removed.
2.	arrange to change “public” to “private” on my new event registration
posting.

The one to remove reads:

Title:   Dinner With Darwin in San Francisco    (Private)	
Start Date and Time: 2006-02-12 18:00:00
Event Website: 
Activities:
As of Dec 26, 2006, we have not decided on an agenda. Last year we had a
dinner with evolutionist friends. Everyone contributed something original
related to Darwin and evolution--a sort of show-and-tell. Original poems,
short essays, discussions of books, selections from the Darwin Awards,
original artwork, anecdotes, discussions of how to advance evolutionary
thinking, etc. Will revise as plans develop for 2006 celebration.
Address: 
TBA, 
San Francisco, CA UNITED STATES
Sponsor: 
Contact: Anthony Sebastian, Miranda Coffey, or Gavin Impett,
[email-masked], 	

The one to change “public” to “private” reads:

Title:   Dinner With Darwin in San Francisco    (Public)	
Start Date and Time: 2006-02-12 13:00:00
Event Website: http://
Activities:
We have no set agenda, except to enjoy a meal and a wide ranging discussion
of evolution topics (see below). Last year we had a dinner with evolutionist
friends. Everyone contributed something original related to Darwin and
evolution--a sort of show-and-tell. Original poems, short essays,
discussions of books, selections from the Darwin Awards, original artwork,
anecdotes, discussions of how to advance evolutionary thinking, etc. 

This year we assembled some possible topics for discussion:

Regarding “The United States District Court For The Middle District Of
Pennsylvania: Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. (Plaintiffs) vs. Dover Area School
District, et al., (Defendants)”: Did presiding Judge E. Jones III, in his
judgment on December 20, 2006, enter and order permanently enjoining the
defendants from requiring teachers to denigrate or disparage the scientific
theory of evolution? If so, why?
See full-text judgment at: http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles
[click “documents”]

What characterizes conscious experiencing of objects or events of reality,
and how did the human ability to so experience things consciously arise?
See: Dewart L. Evolution and Consciousness: The Role of Speech in the Origin
and Development of Human Nature. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1989.

Given that asexual reproduction antedated sexual reproduction, how did the
latter evolve? Cost/benefits?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0709_sexorigin.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/sex/advantage/
Abstract by Fischer at: http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles
[click “documents”]

To what extent do humans dance to the tune of their genes and memes? Can
humans have interests that do not serve the interests of their genes and
memes? If so, whose/what interests do they serve? 
See: Evans - [BR] Dual processes evolution and rationality.pdf, at:
http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles [click “documents”]

Not all Hymenoptera live in colonies. How did sociality evolve, as in ants?
Relation of sociality to evolution of culture?
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-48628
Also see: Muller - Primate Sociality in Evolutionary Context.pdf, at:
http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles [click “documents”]

“If you were to randomly pick an extant animal species, odds are that it
would be a beetle. While there are 250,000 described species of plants,
12,000 described species of roundworms, and only 4,000 described species of
mammals, there are over 350,000 beetle species described, with many more
beetles yet to be discovered.” Why so many beetles?
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/side_0_0/beetles_01

What do IDers mean by “irreducible complexity”? Why do they refer to it?
arguments pro/con.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe.html
Address: 
40 Crags Court, 
San Francisco, California UNITED STATES
Sponsor: The Crags Court Darwin Club
Contact: Anthony Sebastian, Miranda Coffey, or Gavin Impett,
[email-masked], 	

Thank you.

Will you please confirm receipt and your ability to make the changes.

Anthony Sebastian

_________________________
Anthony Sebastian, MD
Professor of Medicine
40 Crags Court 
San Francisco, CA 94131 
[email-masked] 

Faculty Affiliations: 
Department of Medicine 
Division of Nephrology
General Clinical Research Center,
   Associated Faculty for Special Projects
University of California, San Francisco
[email-masked] 

Faculty Webpage:
http://medicine.ucsf.edu/nephrology/faculty/anthony_sebastian.html

Written in E-Prime.

---

From: "Anthony Sebastian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:52:01 -0800

David, thanks for making changes.

And thanks for your suggestion re one of our questions for discussion.  If consciousness includes the memes that consciousness works with, I agree with Leary.  Try Stanovich's The Robot's Rebellion for an in depth consideration.

Anthony
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Info Person<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  To: Anthony Sebastian<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:33 PM
  Subject: Re: Need to make changes in "event" postings

  I made the changes. Let me know if missed something.

  I love your questions for discussion.  Regarding the "To what extent do 
  humans dance to the tune of their genes and memes?" question, I recall 
  that many years ago Timothy Leary suggested that there were 3 levels of 
  survival going on simultaneously: our consciousness, our bodies, and our 
  genes.  I'd start from there.

  Happy Darwin Day!

    -  Info Person aka David Harris

  Anthony Sebastian wrote:
  > [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, 
  > 
  > See full-text judgment at: http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles<http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles>
  > [click “documents”]
  > 
  > http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0709_sexorigin.html<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0709_sexorigin.html>
  > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/sex/advantage/<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/sex/advantage/>
  > Abstract by Fischer at: http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles<http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles>
  > [click “documents”]
  > 
  > http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles<http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles> [click “documents”]
  > 
  > http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-48628<http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-48628>
  > http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles<http://www.msnusers.com/AnthonySebastianMDFiles> [click “documents”]
  > 
  > http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/side_0_0/beetles_01<http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/side_0_0/beetles_01>
  > 
  > http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe.html<http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe.html>
  > Address: 
  > 40 Crags Court, 
  > [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, 
  > 
  > Thank you.
  > 
  > [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  > 
  > Faculty Affiliations: 
  > Department of Medicine 
  > Division of Nephrology
  > [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  > 
  > Faculty Webpage:
  > http://medicine.ucsf.edu/nephrology/faculty/anthony_sebastian.html<http://medicine.ucsf.edu/nephrology/faculty/anthony_sebastian.html>
  > 
  > Written in E-Prime.
  > 
  >   
  >  
  >