Subject: Couldn't help but notice...

From: Nicole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:42:31 -0600

It would seem that churches from several cities are having the exact same
celebration.  ((See example below))

By the tone of the message it would seem that they are in fact out to
undermine Darwin and the very reason we celebrate his life in the first
place.  I would hope there is a way to find a list that is blissfully free
of these unwanted gatherings.  For instance, the ONLY events listed for the
entire state of Oklahoma are for churches whose ads bear a striking
resemblance to the one I listed below, it was troubling to say the least.
Please, there has to be something that can be done about this.

Thank You,
- Nicole (Assistant Organizer of The Tulsa Atheists Meetup Group)

Start Date and Time: 2007-02-11 09:00:00
 Event Website: http://www.butler.edu/clergyproject/rel_evol_sun2007.htm#CA
 Activities:
Contact local church for correct time, full address, and sermon title!

Revs.Stuart Wells & Gail Wells, Interim Co-Pastors is/are participating in
the "Evolution Sunday" event near Darwin's birthday, February 12.
The clergy of more than 535 churches are preaching sermons exploring the
relationship of science and religion.
The participating clergy are among more than 10,500 who have signed "The
Clergy Letter" affirming that
evolution and religious faith are compatible. That is, one doesn't have to
choose EITHER God OR evolution.
A person of faith can believe in both.

For more information about the worldwide Clergy Letter Project project and
Evolution Sunday, see http://www.uwosh.edu/colleges/cols/rel_evol_sun.htm .
For exact time, location, and topic of this church's sermon, use your
telephone directory or a Web directory
like http://yellowpages.superpages.com/yp.basic.jsp to contact this local
church for details.
 Address:
,
South Charleston, OH UNITED STATES
Sponsor: Plattsburg United Church of Christ
Contact: Revs.Stuart Wells & Gail Wells, Interim Co-Pastors, Contact the
church!,

---

From: Nicole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:04:34 -0600

I see.  When I had first read the listing it occurred to me that if this
were a way to introduce Evolution in church, to sort of calm the uproar over
choosing either/or, it could definitely be seen as a good thing.  However,
it's unfortunate that churches cant be trusted to be non-bias as we would
like them to be, I maintain concern that they will try undercutting
evolution more so than giving it the weight it deserves...but it is worth a
shot.  Any increase in acceptance of the evidence is better than the
alternative, COMPLETE ignorance.

On the other hand, wouldn't 1 notice per state suffice?  I mean, that's
already 50 listings, what we're seeing is more like clutter and a hinderance
to those of us looking for REAL celebrations in our respective areas.  Would
it be possible to simply cut back on the ads a bit?  Pretty please?  :)

Thank you for your time and consideration,
-Nicole