Subject: Thank you very much for your recent email inquiry to DreamHost Billing!

From: DreamHost Billing Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 19:33:15 -0700 (PDT)

This email is to let you know that we have received your message and 
will be replying to it within 24 hours. Your tracking # is 1039553.

We would also like to take this moment to point out our Knowledge Base at:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2
Answers to a lot of your questions can be found quickly and easily there.

It is okay to send email to this address for billing inquiries. We prefer
you use email only for replies to messages from us about ongoing support
cases. If you want to open a new billing-related case, we ask that you
use the form at https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tab=support&subtab=msg and
set the category to be "Billing".

Thanks again for contacting DreamHost, and we'll be attempting to do 
our best to resolve your issue in the most timely and professional 
manner we can!

-- 
DreamHost Billing Team
"We host your dreams"
http://www.dreamhost.com/
[email-masked]
fax: 1-323-583-9505