Subject: promotional information for Darwin Day

From: Judy Flippen-Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:28:06 -0400

Hi,

I am co-editor of the American Crystallographic Association publication
ACA RefleXions and I would like to use a copy of the top of your
home page to start publicizing Darwin Day within our society.  Is it
possible to get a high resolution copy of the home page?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Judy

Judith L. Flippen-Anderson
Co-Editor
ACA RefleXions

---

From: Judy Flippen-Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 21:16:30 -0400

Dear David,

I think I sort of did you said in the third paragraph - see attached - I 
used 'grab' to copy
that part of the screen and then reduced it to be a quarter page in 
RefleXions.   When
I print it the images look fairly good but the text is 'fuzzy'.   If you 
have a higher
resolution .psd file I could use that.

I hadn't thought about changing the screen resolution so if you don't 
have a .psd
file I can try that.   I don't want you to go to any special effort.

Thanks a million for being willing to help.

Judy

Info Person wrote:
> Dear Judy,
>
> We'd be delighted to have you use a copy of the top of our page!
>
> The more challenging thing is knowing what to prepare for the "high 
> resolution copy" you mention.  I suspect that I would have to examine 
> our early stages of the graphics to see how big they can be magnified 
> without inducing "jaggies" (is there such a word?) along line edges.  
> We may have .psd (Photoshop) originals at higher resolution, and all 
> the text can in theory be reproduced at higher text size on a larger 
> background to create a "supersized" Web page for you.
>
> If you tell me how far down on our home page you would use, I can try 
> creating the elements (including Cascading Style Sheet descriptions) 
> that are integral multiples of the current sizes.  I have not seen the 
> Darwin-at-different-ages pictures since 2004, so those might be 
> difficult. I just don't recall what the sources look like.
>
> I might also approach it by changing my screen resolution and doing a 
> complete "Print Screen" capture of an enlarged image.  If your need 
> for enlarged size is just a printing convention of using large 
> graphics and shrinking them down, the end product would look as good 
> as it does now when printed at the final resolution.  In fact you 
> could use that method yourself to enlarge and "grab" what you need.  
> Would you be able to use that approach?  Would you need me to do it?
>
> Hoping to achieve a quality result,
>
>   - David Harris, working as Info Person and other roles,
>                   at DarwinDay.org
>
>
>
> Judy Flippen-Anderson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 21:33:24 -0400 (EDT)

Dear David,

It certainly sounds like this should be much better than
what I have.

Have the grandkids here for the weekend and am already
exhausted - will answer your questions when we can sit
still for more than two minutes.

Thanks again,

Judy

> Dear Judy,
>
> I did the third paragraph a little differently, and the attached file
> looks better to me.  I used the Windows (I mainly use Linux at home)
> "Start/Control Panel/Display" to set the screen to 800*600 pixels, and
> they filled my large screen.  I centered the DarwinDay.org home page in
> the screen and pushed "Print Screen" to get a full screen capture.  I
> started the Paint program and used CTL-V for Paste, which pastes in the
> entire screen image, with junk along the sides.  I used the Paint
> program's Selection tool to select just the image of the Darwin Day
> site.  I Copy'd that selected material to a new Paint image, where the
> selected material could be Pasted as the sole content.  Then Paint has a
> Save As command, which I used to make the attached .JPG file.
>
> Does this meet your needs?
>
> If I can catch you for some quick questions from a programmer/scientist:
>
> Has the Synchronous X-ray capacity at SLAC raised the standard of
> resolution in X ray crystallography?  Is growing the biological crystals
> still the rate limiting step?  I once considered a job at SLAC, making
> and mounting the actual crystals where the X-rays go.
>
> I also found the new IBM atom scale microscopy an exciting idea.  And
> Dr. Stephens, who has been the major force behind the Darwin Day
> movement, was an electron microscopist on biological materials during
> his career.   So we're interested in your "little kingdom".   ;-)
>
>    - David
>

---

From: Judy Flippen-Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:31:09 -0400

Info Person wrote:
> they filled my large screen.  I centered the DarwinDay.org home page 
> in the screen and pushed "Print Screen" to get a full screen capture.  
> I started the Paint program and used CTL-V for Paste, which pastes in 
> the entire screen image, with junk along the sides.  I used the Paint 
> selected material could be Pasted as the sole content.  Then Paint has 
> a Save As command, which I used to make the attached .JPG file.
>
> resolution in X ray crystallography?  Is growing the biological 
> crystals still the rate limiting step?  I once considered a job at 
> SLAC, making and mounting the actual crystals where the X-rays go.
The increase in resolution of protein structures comes from a 
combination of improvements in the sources (higher
power synchrotron beamlines) and in the detectors (huge improvement in 
signal to noise ratio - ability to collect
multiple reflections at the same time which crystal is still good 
etc).   Once you have a pure sample of the protein
you want to study growing crystals is still the rate limiting step.    
Many of the beamlines now have robotic sample
changers.  Progress in this area over the last decade has been nothing 
short of spectacular....