Subject: Darwin's 200th Birthday Celebration!

From: "Dr.R.Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:21:04 +0000

Re: Darwin 
Day Celebration 2006
                                                            Date: 
October 11, 2005

Dear science educator:

As we move closer to Darwin's bicentennial birthday on February 12, 
2009, more and more classrooms, universities, libraries, museums, public 
and private groups are joining the annual international Darwin Day 
Celebration of Science and Humanity each year on February 12th!  If you 
have not previously participated we hope that 2006 will be the year you 
join in the fun and informal education.  Be sure to visit our website 
www.DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> for extensive information 
that will help you plan your Darwin Day EVENT.  You can sign up there to 
become more informed and involved if you wish.

As a science educator you may be aware that recent studies by Dr. Jon 
Miller at Northwestern University in Chicago has shown that only 20 to 
25% of Americans are familiar with scientific concepts and terminology 
and that most of the rest "don't have a clue."  In addition, Dr. Eugenie 
Scott, Director of the National Center for Science Education states that 
"We ignore public understanding of science at our peril."

All of us who are science educators should recognize a significant 
responsibility to contribute to the improvement of this national failure 
by contributing some of our valuable time to the "informal" scientific 
education of our youth and the general public.  An important way to 
contribute is to have a local Darwin Day Celebration of Science and 
Humanity at each of our institutions and invite the general public to 
participate.

Our Website www.DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/> contains 
material to assist you in the development of an EVENT that you will be 
proud of, at no cost to you.  So join with many others around the world 
in the Celebration of our most reliable knowledge system: verifiable 
scientific knowledge, so critical to our national future.

Sincerely yours,

Robert J. (Bob) Stephens, Ph.D.
Emeritus Director, Cell Biology Program,
SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)
President, Darwin Day Celebration, a nonprofit, tax-deductible, 501(c)3 
organization
http://www.DarwinDay.org <http://www.darwinday.org/>

P.S.  If you do not want to receive additional e-mail from Darwin Day 
Celebration at your current e-mail address, simply send an e-mail to 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, with a 
clear indication of which e-mail address to avoid.

You can also send regular mail, with your e-mail identified clearly, to 
Darwin Day Celebration (Unsubscribe), 2682 Middlefield Rd, Ste. P, 
Redwood City, CA  94063.