Subject: Darwin Day in Birmingham Feb 10th 2006

From: Mark Pallen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:12:11 +0000

Please find attached the flier for Darwin Day in Birmingham 2006  
(programme also appended in plain text).

I hope you will agree it is another exciting line-up, particularly  
with Nick Matzke bringing hot news from the Dover trial in Pennsylvania!

Apologies if you receive more than one copy of this message--time is  
short and I am having to cut and paste old mailing lists.

Please forward to anyone who you think might be interested and/or pin  
to your local notice board.

Mark

Professor Mark Pallen
Professor of Microbial Genomics
Room ELG41, Division of Immunity & Infection, Medical School,
University of Birmingham, BIRMINGHAM, B15 2TT
[email-masked]
tel ++44(0)121 414 7163
fax ++44 121 414 3454
http://www.infection.bham.ac.uk/BPAG/staff/mpallen.html

"...most scientific problems are far better understood by studying  
their history than their logic."
Ernst Mayr

08.45-09.10 Arrival and Coffee

09.10-09.15 Welcome

Session 1: Darwin and the Humanities
Chairman: Professor Mark Pallen (Division of Immunity and Infection)

09.15 – 10.00 Keynote Speaker: Dr Nick Matze (NCSE, USA)
News from the Panda Trial in Dover, Pennsylvania:
The Evolutionary Origin of Intelligent Design

10.00 – 10.30 Dr John van Wyhe (University of Cambridge)
Where did Darwin's finches come from?

10.30 – 11.00 Coffee

11.00 – 11.30 Dr David Toke (Department of Sociology)
Wind farms, GM and Darwin: political and public perceptions

11.30 – 12.00 Dr Barbara Bordelejo (ITSEE)
E-Origin: a digital genetic version of Origin of Species

12.00 – 12.30 Dr Thorsten Schnier (School of Computer Science)
Evolutionary Art

12.30 – 13.30 Lunch

Session 2: Darwin and Science
Chairman: Robert Arnott (Centre for the History of Medicine)

13.30 – 14.00 Dr Peter Rock (School of Dentistry)
The evolving shape of the human face

14.00 – 14.30 Dr Colin Rowat (Department of Economics)
The evolution of evolutionary game theory

14.30 – 15.00 Dr Susannah Thorpe (School of Biosciences)
Walking the walk: the evolution of human bipedalism

15.00 –15.30 Coffee

15.30 – 16.00 Dr Jason Hilton (GEES)
Coral reefs as documents of evolutionary history

16.00 – 16.30 Dr Yenory Morales Chaves (GEES)
The Zebra mussel: ecology of an invasive species

16.30 – 17.00 Dr Peter Balfe (Immunity & Infection, University of  
Birmingham)
Molecular evolution of hepatitis C

17.00-18.30 Wine Reception, including: The Origin of the Species in  
Dub: Live
and re-mixed by the Genomic Dub Collective. Further musical
celebration of Darwin’s masterpiece, realized through the medium of
reggae music