Subject: Re: I changed your Darwin Day event to Private

From: Pip <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:01:19 -0500

Dear Info Person,

Hi.  The truth is that I live on a tiny island with only 750 residents.  
Whenever I host a pot luck dinner it's always open to anyone who cares 
to come.  I posted on your site just to be one more voice for reason on 
the web.  We're almost three hours from the mainland by ferry so it's 
not likely than anyone reading the posting will venture out here for a 
pot luck dinner -- but they're welcome if they want to join us.  And if 
any neighbors who don't already know about the pot luck dinner happen 
upon the post I hope they'll join us also.  So, if it's not too much 
trouble, you can change the post back to public.  But thanks for looking 
after me nevertheless.

Cheers,

Philip
> Dear Philip,
>
> On a hunch, I changed your registration of "a group of friends" 
> celebrating Darwin Day to be a "Private" event that would not add 
> other people from outside your circle of friends.
>
> If you really wanted it to be Public, I will be delighted to change it 
> back to the Public designation.
>
> Thank you for joining in the worldwide celebration of Science and 
> Humanity on Darwin's 198th birthday!
>
>   - Info Person at DarwinDay.org
>
>
>

-- 
Philip Howard
30 Lawton Lane
PO Box 248
Ocracoke, NC  27960
252-928-5541
www.villagecraftsmen.com

---

From: Pip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:01:04 -0500

David,

Just thought you might like to know what a wonderful Darwin Day 
Celebration we had here on tiny Ocracoke Island.  We had about 25 - 30 
folks crowd into my modest home.  They all came with super dishes, 
including homemade stuffed B(e)agles in honor of Darwin's ship.  One of 
our friends has studied with Julia Child and she always brings an exotic 
dish -- this time some sort of homemade pastry stuffed with mushrooms.  
All told we had quite a stellar group of people (considering that this 
is such an isolated little island), including a former ambassador to 
Romania; Susan Dodd, Senator Christopher Dodd's ex-wife (and celebrated 
author in her own right); a friend from Sweden; and a neighbor who has 
sailed to the Galapogos Islands. We also had a Park Ranger, former Peace 
Corps volunteers, artists, musicians, storytellers, a schooner captain, 
and just plain folks like me.

After our supper we sat around and shared stories and insights about 
Darwin, A.R.Wallace, Charles Lyle, Richard Dawkins, evolution, geology, 
and much else.  We had a grand time.  One person brought along a CD by 
her friend, folksinger John McCutcheon.  The second song is called 
"Monkeys."  Everyone got a kick out of that.  Listen to it sometime if 
you get the opportunity. 

I guess you can tell that Ocracoke really is "an interesting situation" 
as you say, and that I love my community.  Come on out for a vacation 
sometime. If you're interested, I publish a monthly Newsletter (with 
history, stories, and photos), and a Daily Journal (a paragraph or so 
about our daily life) on my web site, www.villagecraftsmen.com.  Just 
click on the links at the top of the home page. 

Thanks for promoting Darwin Day.  We had a blast. 

Philip
> Hello, Pip,
>
> What an interesting situation.  I shall change the designation to 
> Public, of course.  Thank you for joining in the Darwin Day Celebrations!
>
>   - Info Person, also known as David Harris, database editor and a lot 
> more
>
> Pip wrote:
>> Dear Info Person,
>>
>> Hi.  The truth is that I live on a tiny island with only 750 
>> residents.  Whenever I host a pot luck dinner it's always open to 
>> anyone who cares to come.  I posted on your site just to be one more 
>> voice for reason on the web.  We're almost three hours from the 
>> mainland by ferry so it's not likely than anyone reading the posting 
>> will venture out here for a pot luck dinner -- but they're welcome if 
>> they want to join us.  And if any neighbors who don't already know 
>> about the pot luck dinner happen upon the post I hope they'll join us 
>> also.  So, if it's not too much trouble, you can change the post back 
>> to public.  But thanks for looking after me nevertheless.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Philip
>>> Dear Philip,
>>>
>>> If you really wanted it to be Public, I will be delighted to change 
>>> it back to the Public designation.
>>>

-- 
Philip Howard
30 Lawton Lane
PO Box 248
Ocracoke, NC  27960
252-928-5541
www.villagecraftsmen.com