Subject: Darwin Day denied: Celebration of the 19th-century naturalist not ‘appropriate for the county,’ McCartney says

From: Larry Clark in PA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:30:15 -0500

http://lewistownsentinel.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=5763

￼￼Darwin Day denied: Celebration of the 19th-century naturalist  
not ‘appropriate for the county,’ McCartney says

By Sam Price, Sentinel reporter, [email-masked]

LEWISTOWN — At the conclusion of the Mifflin County Commissioners’  
Thursday workshop, Larry Clark asked the board if they had considered  
his presentation for the county to celebrate Darwin Day, Feb. 12, in  
recognition of Charles Darwin and his scientific contributions.

Darwin, a 19th-century English naturalist, linked all species in a  
single family tree with a common origin, and popularized the theories  
of evolution and natural selection.

According to the official Darwin Day Web site, the objective of the  
celebration is “to encourage existing institutions worldwide, such  
as municipalities, public and private schools, colleges and  
universities, libraries, museums, churches, private organizations and  
individuals to celebrate science and humanity every year, on, or  
near, February 12, Darwin's birthday.”

Commission Chairwoman Susan McCartney said she did not feel Darwin  
Day was “appropriate for the county.”

“It’s a lightning rod issue and I’m not willing to put it up the  
pole,” McCartney said.

“You don’t think it’s appropriate we honor knowledge and  
science?” Clark said as he presented a document from the Clergy  
Letter Project.

The Clergy Letter Project is a signed statement of over 10,000  
American Christian clergy that indicates the signatories believe  
“modern science and the timeless truths of the Bible can co-exist.”

Commissioner Otis Riden said Clark was “welcome to present again  
next year” while Commissioner Raymond Snyder said the 200th  
anniversary of the English scientist’s birth in 2009 would be a more  
appropriate time for recognition.

“Darwin shares a birthday with Abe Lincoln. Lincoln was the  
emancipator of the slaves and Darwin was the emancipator of the human  
mind,” Clark said.

McCartney said the item will not appear on the agenda at the  
commissioners’ regular meeting next week.

Items on the agenda will include:

<= Approval of Eugene J. Aufiero and Associates to inspect Mifflin  
County bridges. Commission Chairwoman Susan McCartney said the county  
has had the contract with Auferio and Associates since 1979.

<= Appoint-ments to the local emergency planning committee.

<= Appointments to the Alert and Advisory board

<= Director of Planning and Development Bill Gomes will speak on the  
progress on the Open Spaces planning project and the Monument Square  
Streetscape project. An easement agreement with Pennsylvania  
Department of Transportation for sidewalk work near the former  
Mifflin County Courthouse will be up for approval.

<= Approval of a purchase of service agreement to hire Mark Remy as  
assistant district attorney at a $15,000 yearly salary, which will be  
reimbursed partially by the Drug Court.

<Addendum>

I presented the attached material at a workshop some weeks ago. I  
gave the commissioners a verbal presentation and thought that just  
maybe...

I was surprised the reporter mentioned my actions.

Just thought you would like to know.

The website of Mifflin County, PA is http://www.co.mifflin.pa.us/ 
mifflin/site/default.asp

Email addresses of the commissioners:

Susan McCartney: [email-masked]

Raymond Snyder: [email-masked]

Otis Riden: [email-masked]

Thanks,

Larry Clark

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers  
knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.

    Isaac Asimov