Subject: This may be of interest

From: Jan Kather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:04:37 -0500

In June, 2005, I presented a paper at the Women and the Divine Conference at
the University of Liverpool, UK titled: "Thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Any
Graven Image: Photographing the Face of God." My presentation, in part,
explored my evolution as an artist who sees and visualizes my origin in the
single cell life found in tidal pools along the coast of Maine (USA).  As
part of my presentation, I promised to photograph the face of God and create
a digital grid for the conference. The attached image comes from this
exercise.

Why I believe it is significant to Darwin Day is because a statue of Darwin
is prominently displayed in the digital grid underneath a stone sculpture of
a mother and child. Both pieces were photographed at the Sefton Park Palm
House, a Victorian glass house near Liverpool that celebrates the plant
collector and author of "The Origin of Species" among other explorers and
naturalists. The six foot bronze sculpture of Darwin was created by
Leon-Joseph Chavailiaud (1858-1921). The marble mother and child sculpture,
titled The Angel's Whisper (1857) was created by Benjamin Spence and
transferred to the Palm House from the Walker Art Gallery.

This digital image, selected for a juried exhibition at the Arnot Art
Museum, Elmira, NY, can be seen at the museum through February 19,2006. It
celebrates our human desire to discover our origins and organize our chaotic
world into meaningful, organized patterns. Charles Darwin paved the way for
us as we continue to ask questions and to explore our universe in the 21st
Century. 

For more info see 
http://www.elmira.edu/news/2005archive/dec2_2.shtml

------

On another note--
For the first time I will be teaching a humanities class on the modern world
at Elmira College. I am thrilled to discover the Darwin website. I will
refer my students to this excellent source of information and use it in my
class.

Sincerely, 
Jan Kather

website: www.jankatherphotography.com