Subject: RE: Creationism is true

From: "Mil Thornton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:49:43 -0800

I will agree that maybe the Creationism teaching should not be in a science
class but rather a history class. That makes total sense to me, however
there are many new and fairly resent archeological finds that have given
proof to the teachings of the Bible. Over 300 prophecies have been proven to
be true so, you are correct in the fact that Creationism can not be tested
in a lab but hard data from diggings is more proof to me that something
exists then a test in a lab of a theory that has not been proven.

Just a little more food for thought for you. The point I am trying to make
is that creationism has a place in our schools and it should be taught.

Thanks for the reply,
Christy

-----Original Message-----
From: Info Person [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 2:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Creationism is true

Dear Christy,

I've thought a lot about that question: why not teach every explanation? 
  The reason that impresses me is that science has a method that is 
different from politics or other decision making methods.  In science, 
an idea (theory, hypothesis) has to make TESTABLE (falsifiable) 
PREDICTIONS, and then science does the testing and throws out ideas that 
aren't true.

So is creationism a scientific idea that belongs in a science class? 
Well, what does it PREDICT?  Does it make predictions about the DNA 
codes in closely related creatures versus distantly related creatures? 
Does it predict what would happen if bird flu viruses got mixed with 
human flu viruses in people who live near ducks and pigs in Asia?  I 
don't think creationism makes any predictions like that.  So it doesn't 
belong in a science class.

Creationism may be true, but we need our science classes to teach things 
that will protect people from the vast suffering that natural processes 
can inflict.  We also need our students to understand how science works, 
and the results of scientific testing, so that we can make the 
discoveries that will let Americans lead a decent life in comparison to 
China, India, Singapore, Russia, and other places that are educating a 
lot of new scientists and engineers.

Creationism may be taught in history classes, for creationism of some 
sort has a prominent role in most societies.  Or it might be taught in 
literature or art classes, for creationism has been beautifully 
expressed.  But it does not meet the criteria for being science.

Thank you for making a proposal that forced me to spell out my 
understanding of the heart of the matter.

Sincerely,

   - David Harris, outreach officer and database editor
     DarwinDay.org

Mil Thornton wrote:
> The only thing I have to offer is that the THEORY or EVOLUTION is just 
> that a THEORY.
> 
>  
> 
> The Bible teaches us that CREATIONISM or INTELLEGENT DESIGN as you would 
> call it, is the truth of how humans came to be.
> 
>  
> 
> I and my family do believe that CREATIONISM should be taught in schools. 
> If the theory of evolution is considered important enough to be taught 
> in school then what are scientist afraid of by teaching creationism as 
> well.
> 
>  
> 
> In my opinion when evolution is taught in school, many students will 
> believe it to be true and the school system owes it to our society and 
> our kids to be taught the other theory of intelligent design so they can 
> make a choice for themselves.
> 
>  
> 
> To have only one opinion taught is a travesty to our kids. I also feel 
> that the people in charge of deciding what will be taught are very 
> arrogant indeed to think that their belief in evolution is the only idea 
> that students have a right to know and be taught.
> 
>  
> 
> Let the kids hear it all and decide for themselves.
> 
>  
> 
> Christy Thornton
> 
>  
> 
> /mil //Thornton/

---

From: "Mil Thornton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:00:20 -0800

David,

Another thought on what you said was about the DNA being closely related.
Closely related is not the same as the same exact DNA. Humans do not share
any DNA pattern with any other species and never will. That is because the
intelligent designer, God, in my opinion created all living things and he
made them all different. So closely related  means nothing to me. 

I do, however understand the theory behind the testing issue and it's
usefulness in our world to develop new treatments for diseases etc. 

But without God putting those things in our world for our discovery we would
have nothing to work with.

Just my beliefs. God is God and we are not so I have a hard time with people
like Darwin that claimed to be all powerful by his theory. I guess the
bottom line is that all humans have the right to hear it all, no matter what
class it is in. I wish our government would see this and allow creationism
to be taught in history classes. 

Would you happen to know how a person goes about to propose this to the
powers that be in education?

Christy Thornton

-----Original Message-----
From: Info Person [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 2:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Creationism is true

Dear Christy,

Sincerely,