Subject: Darwin celebration

From: Paul Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:10:09 -0800

To:  Robert J. Stephens

I was pleased to receive the information about plans for public celebration 
of Darwin.  But I was disappointed to note that the event was being 
cosponsored by the Alliance for Service Organization.  My reason for this 
is that I feel that science and religion are incompatible.  Highly 
qualified scientists do not believe that the God prominently acknowledged 
by most Americans exists.  Over 90% of the members of the National Academy 
of Science reject a belief in God.  I believe it is a mistake to enlist 
religious organizations and individuals in support of evolution.  The 
concept of evolution is so well established that it does not need or 
justify religious support.

Under these circumstances I feel it best do decline the invitation to join 
an Advisory Board.  Attached is a short essay I prepared on how I became 
and atheist.  I hope that in future endeavors to support evolution you will 
separate your arguments from religious considerations.

Sincerely yours,

Paul D. Boyer
Prof. Emeritus UCLA
Nobel Laureate, 1997