Subject: Re: [Fwd: Rebel Giants: and Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:10:22 EDT

Dear Dr. Contosta:
 
Thank you for contacting [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  . 
I'm Bob Stephens  Pres. of the nonprofit corp Darwin Day Celebration. I like 
your proposal and if  you are familiar with our Web-site _www.darwinday.org_ 
(http://www.darwinday.org)  you will know that we do  recognize and promote the 
idea of having existing institutions sponsor and  produce  joint celebrations 
of Darwin and Lincoln. There is a picture of  both men on our homepage and a 
link to a couple of items that discuss  their legacies. Still, I believe that 
more can be done and I would like to talk  to you about some ideas that come to 
mind. I'll try to reach you by  phone the first of the week to explore our 
mutual interests.
 
Your new book sound wonderful and the title should catch the attention of  
many Lincoln and Darwinites -- I can't wait to read what you have to say and how 
 you have been able to bring their lives together. In the little article that 
I  wrote on the subject, that is on our web-site, I say  the following, 
"Lincoln became the great emancipator of the slaves in  America, and Darwin became 
the great emancipator of the human mind, so they both  deserve to be 
celebrated!"
 
If you have a preferred time for me to call please let me know by email. I  
look forward to our conversation.
 
Robert (Bob) Stephens Ph.D.
Pres DDC.
 
In a message dated 3/30/07 2:06:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

--------  Original Message --------
Subject:     Rebel Giants: and Charles  Darwin and Abraham Lincoln
Date:     Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:18:00  -0400
From:     David Contosta <[email-masked]>
To:  <[email-masked]>

To whom it May  Concern:

On February 12, 2009, as you well know, we will celebrate the  200th
birthdays of two giants, Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln, who  turned
their world, and ours, upside down. Having identical birthdays was,  of
course, sheer coincidence, but this curious fact provided an  initial
hook for exploring real life intersections of temperament, method,  and
consequences.

I have just completed a book-length manuscript,  now seeking a publisher,
entitled "Rebel Giants, The Revolutionary Lives of  Charles Darwin and
Abraham Lincoln." Since it is written in accessible  language, I believe
that it will appeal to general readers as well as to  the academic market
on both sides of the Atlantic. By bringing the Darwin  and Lincoln sagas
up to the present day, in two final chapters called  "Afterlives" and
"Legacies," I seek to broaden my appeal to a contemporary  readership.

I am already the author of a dozen books, published by both  trade and
academic presses. These include my _Henry Adams and the  American
Experiment _(Little, Brown) and _America in the Twentieth  Century_
(HarperCollins).

I would be delighted to contribute to any  plans that "Darwin Day" might
have for joint commemorations of the  Darwin/Lincoln Bicentennial.

You may reach me by telephone at  215-248-7190, or by e-mail at
[email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>

Thank you for considering my  proposal.

Sincerely yours,

David R. Contosta,  Ph.D.

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.